Back

Dragon Share

Show off your favorite dragons.
TOPIC | I'm gonna talk about Willow
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15
[url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/25348][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/254/25348_350.png[/img][/url] This is Willow. She's quite possibly one of the most popular dragons on FR. I won her in an auction, then auctioned off some children back in [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/baz/1733274]2016[/url]. During this time, I thought for sure she would become nothing more than a meme dragon: Talked about for a few months then fade into obscurity as people chased whatever the newest thing was. I thought limiting the children was the best way to get and keep interest into what was surely something that would be no more popular than Sunshine, Lord Bismol and other dragons of meme status. Boy was I ever wrong. I NEVER in my wildest dreams considered the fact that Naomi's daughter would after [b]four years[/b] spawn: [LIST] [*]A giant breeding project that (what feels like) half the site wants to be a part of. [*]Asked about in [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/search/forums?term=Naomi&poster=&topicid=&forum=frd&when=31&sort=relevant]FRD on a weekly basis[/url] for 286 solid weeks. [*]Spawn a discord server (and two offshoot servers) dedicated solely to talking about Naomi lines. [*]Generate 2 or 3 PMs weekly asking to borrow/breed/sell Willow. [/LIST] For sure interest would wane at some point? This will die down at some point? Nope. More and more players are interested in Naomi and her offspring. Interest hasn’t slowed at any point and it's been 4 years. I quietly sold a few because I didn't feel it was fair to this massively growing fanclub to still keep Willow children limited when some of the original 13 don't play or breed. They were sold for what I thought to be a massive amount to maybe discourage other players from asking. Again, this turned out to be the complete opposite of what I expected to happen and [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/auc/2804496/1]in January[/url] I auctioned off a clutch of imps from another popular FR dragon+ a mistake litter. Some players were worried this would devalue their breeding projects because there is now double the amount of G3s. Another player was concerned with my own transparency, citing the auction of the original 12 where I had promised exclusivity. It’s been half a year since then. I got another four PMs this week and I’m drafting this on Wednesday morning. There is no shortage of people interested in Willow’s offspring and that is the understatement of the year. So here's my solution. I'm going to be breeding her twice a year on her birthday, June 12th [s]and Nov 11th[/s]. With a maximum of 4 dragons per year. Any extras get [s]eaten by Thorn[/s] [s]exalted[/s] stored until next season. She will be paired with Ricar. So there it is. Any interested player, new or old has one year to prepare before the first 3rd gen clutch is auctioned. No more exclusivity but rarity will be maintained as new players enter the ring and old ones leave. From what I understand, the price of children is largely determined by whose G4 lineage it is anyways so any gen 4 sales should be largely unaffected. [b]To those of the original 12[/b] I still offer the same courtesy as I did last time. If you feel slighted because of a promise I made years ago because I never thought this dragon would get this popular, feel free to turn in your descendent to me and I will refund the original price paid. [b]To those of the current generation[/b] I didn’t make this decision lightly but at this point, these are the options available to me: 1. Sell Willow. The new owner isn’t held to an exclusivity status and can breed her as often or as little as they want. Current breeders lose. 2. Willow gets exalted. New breeders lose. 3. Breed a few a year to appease both old and new breeders and I get to feel like I can enjoy my own dragon. [b]To the players of the phoenix generation[/b] Good luck on your savings.
25348_350.png
This is Willow. She's quite possibly one of the most popular dragons on FR.

I won her in an auction, then auctioned off some children back in 2016. During this time, I thought for sure she would become nothing more than a meme dragon: Talked about for a few months then fade into obscurity as people chased whatever the newest thing was.

I thought limiting the children was the best way to get and keep interest into what was surely something that would be no more popular than Sunshine, Lord Bismol and other dragons of meme status. Boy was I ever wrong.

I NEVER in my wildest dreams considered the fact that Naomi's daughter would after four years spawn:

• A giant breeding project that (what feels like) half the site wants to be a part of.
  • Asked about in FRD on a weekly basis for 286 solid weeks.
  • Spawn a discord server (and two offshoot servers) dedicated solely to talking about Naomi lines.
  • Generate 2 or 3 PMs weekly asking to borrow/breed/sell Willow.
For sure interest would wane at some point? This will die down at some point?
Nope. More and more players are interested in Naomi and her offspring. Interest hasn’t slowed at any point and it's been 4 years.

I quietly sold a few because I didn't feel it was fair to this massively growing fanclub to still keep Willow children limited when some of the original 13 don't play or breed. They were sold for what I thought to be a massive amount to maybe discourage other players from asking.

Again, this turned out to be the complete opposite of what I expected to happen and in January I auctioned off a clutch of imps from another popular FR dragon+ a mistake litter.
Some players were worried this would devalue their breeding projects because there is now double the amount of G3s.
Another player was concerned with my own transparency, citing the auction of the original 12 where I had promised exclusivity.

It’s been half a year since then. I got another four PMs this week and I’m drafting this on Wednesday morning.
There is no shortage of people interested in Willow’s offspring and that is the understatement of the year.

So here's my solution. I'm going to be breeding her twice a year on her birthday, June 12th and Nov 11th. With a maximum of 4 dragons per year. Any extras get eaten by Thorn exalted stored until next season.

She will be paired with Ricar.

So there it is. Any interested player, new or old has one year to prepare before the first 3rd gen clutch is auctioned. No more exclusivity but rarity will be maintained as new players enter the ring and old ones leave.
From what I understand, the price of children is largely determined by whose G4 lineage it is anyways so any gen 4 sales should be largely unaffected.

To those of the original 12
I still offer the same courtesy as I did last time. If you feel slighted because of a promise I made years ago because I never thought this dragon would get this popular, feel free to turn in your descendent to me and I will refund the original price paid.

To those of the current generation
I didn’t make this decision lightly but at this point, these are the options available to me:

1. Sell Willow. The new owner isn’t held to an exclusivity status and can breed her as often or as little as they want. Current breeders lose.

2. Willow gets exalted. New breeders lose.

3. Breed a few a year to appease both old and new breeders and I get to feel like I can enjoy my own dragon.

To the players of the phoenix generation
Good luck on your savings.
Y3kY2LN.png
Questions and musing:

Q:Will there be some sort of limiter for current G3 owners?
A: There was a limit for the first clutch, but I think it's ok to not have a limit for the second round and beyond.

Q:When will these be auctioned?
A: Auction will likely be held on June 21st, my FR anniversary for both clutches.

Possible auction mechanics:
-15 min snipe guard
-Players can use proxies, but with a max of 3 players and they need to be registered before you bid.
Accepting: gems, skeletal chimes, boneyard tatters, KS familiars or apparel. (Value set at first bid)
Maybe accepting: Sprites?

Options for clutches, but I'm leaning towards the first one

1. Twice a year, max of 2 children so a smaller range of new kids a year. Nov 11th and June 12. That’s roughly one full clutch a year and wegging means there’s at least 2 per year and a max of 4.
Con for this is there might be a long list of exalted.

2. Once a year with exalts for just 1-2 new kids a year

3. Once a year with no exalts so 1-5 kids per year.
Has a wider range of what gets released for the new year, but no exalting. Wegging possible.

A better option for clutches!
Breed on June 12th.
If not 4 kids, breed on Nov 11th again and sell with next year's June 12th.
Max of 4 (5? 5 is technically a full clutch...) kids per year.
Questions and musing:

Q:Will there be some sort of limiter for current G3 owners?
A: There was a limit for the first clutch, but I think it's ok to not have a limit for the second round and beyond.

Q:When will these be auctioned?
A: Auction will likely be held on June 21st, my FR anniversary for both clutches.

Possible auction mechanics:
-15 min snipe guard
-Players can use proxies, but with a max of 3 players and they need to be registered before you bid.
Accepting: gems, skeletal chimes, boneyard tatters, KS familiars or apparel. (Value set at first bid)
Maybe accepting: Sprites?

Options for clutches, but I'm leaning towards the first one

1. Twice a year, max of 2 children so a smaller range of new kids a year. Nov 11th and June 12. That’s roughly one full clutch a year and wegging means there’s at least 2 per year and a max of 4.
Con for this is there might be a long list of exalted.

2. Once a year with exalts for just 1-2 new kids a year

3. Once a year with no exalts so 1-5 kids per year.
Has a wider range of what gets released for the new year, but no exalting. Wegging possible.

A better option for clutches!
Breed on June 12th.
If not 4 kids, breed on Nov 11th again and sell with next year's June 12th.
Max of 4 (5? 5 is technically a full clutch...) kids per year.
Y3kY2LN.png
Well, saving up for this sounds like an interesting challenge! I look forward to seeing what happens next June.

Mind you, having a famous dragon sounds pretty stressful.
Well, saving up for this sounds like an interesting challenge! I look forward to seeing what happens next June.

Mind you, having a famous dragon sounds pretty stressful.
2LHRMay.png
Wow I’ve always loved the Naomi lore and hype. Good luck with the breeding!! It will be interesting to see how the auctions go[emoji=coatl laughing size=1]
Wow I’ve always loved the Naomi lore and hype. Good luck with the breeding!! It will be interesting to see how the auctions go
Thank you for making this. I really love the Naomi descendant line and I really respect you. It was great reading about Willow and your thoughts and plans. I can't imagine how much stress owning a dragon like Willow must cause, and getting so many messages all the time.

Besides all that, I've always wanted to say that Willow is just a beautiful dragon. She looks incredible, mysterious and fearsome. I really love her apparel and genes. I can honestly say she's the only thylacline dragon I've ever truly liked the appearance of ;p

"eaten by Thorn" omg, I was taken completely off guard and burst out laughing!
Thank you for making this. I really love the Naomi descendant line and I really respect you. It was great reading about Willow and your thoughts and plans. I can't imagine how much stress owning a dragon like Willow must cause, and getting so many messages all the time.

Besides all that, I've always wanted to say that Willow is just a beautiful dragon. She looks incredible, mysterious and fearsome. I really love her apparel and genes. I can honestly say she's the only thylacline dragon I've ever truly liked the appearance of ;p

"eaten by Thorn" omg, I was taken completely off guard and burst out laughing!
7GFlGJN.pnglrqDePv.pngsGgQ25Y.pngMpoIPJl.pngsGgQ25Y.png0nIARi4.png1nxsvgf.pngzWgdxzn.pngwN1CyRb.pngFF7sHLD.pngGJZzfu4.pngMrRCllp.png
EBEMlSX.png
Sounds like a plan! Haven’t had much of a goal recently and this sounds like a good challenge to curb some impulsive tendencies ;)

But at the end of the day, being bombarded with constant PMs and asks is bound to get tiring. If this is a way you think that you’ll be able to get some joy out of Willow again then game on. Exalting her seems like it’ll not only bring flak onto you from others but also make you feel bad that you had to resort to doing something you didn’t want to do but did so out of obligation. Flight Rising at its core is a pet breeding sim, and outwards from that a large and diverse community that jumps on a LOT of lore opportunities. So, flak or not, the majority of people will respect whatever decision you decide to make in the end.
Sounds like a plan! Haven’t had much of a goal recently and this sounds like a good challenge to curb some impulsive tendencies ;)

But at the end of the day, being bombarded with constant PMs and asks is bound to get tiring. If this is a way you think that you’ll be able to get some joy out of Willow again then game on. Exalting her seems like it’ll not only bring flak onto you from others but also make you feel bad that you had to resort to doing something you didn’t want to do but did so out of obligation. Flight Rising at its core is a pet breeding sim, and outwards from that a large and diverse community that jumps on a LOT of lore opportunities. So, flak or not, the majority of people will respect whatever decision you decide to make in the end.
saving up for it would be nice. i don't know if you take a pinglist, but i would be interested when the auction happens.

would ideally prefer no exalts, but that is just me wary of a long offspring list.
saving up for it would be nice. i don't know if you take a pinglist, but i would be interested when the auction happens.

would ideally prefer no exalts, but that is just me wary of a long offspring list.
act
imp inthusiast
he/him
please ping on reply
Wq7yxTc.gif
exchange
Nearku%2527s%2BDya.png
hatchbannersmall.png
Seems like this is my next project to collect gems to work on, it's a wonderful idea!
Seems like this is my next project to collect gems to work on, it's a wonderful idea!
Endyr || 23 || She/They || FR+3
[quote name="nearku" date="2020-06-17 17:59:17" ] would ideally prefer no exalts, but that is just me wary of a long offspring list. [/quote] Is there a better solution then? If I breed twice a year with no exalts, that means 2-10 new babies a year. That seems like way too many, especially if the concern is a long offspring list. If I breed once a year with no exalts that could mean just one kid a year.
nearku wrote on 2020-06-17 17:59:17:

Is there a better solution then?
If I breed twice a year with no exalts, that means 2-10 new babies a year. That seems like way too many, especially if the concern is a long offspring list.

If I breed once a year with no exalts that could mean just one kid a year.
Y3kY2LN.png
Maybe to fix the exalts if you want, you can have some sort of max for one year, and then if they are extra hatches they can be stored to be sold the following year, like they are being rolled over? It’s only if your good with keeping them for a whole year which is a little extreme. Only a suggestion, but I think your doing it the best way to appease everyone! I mean she is your dragon so you get to do what you want![emoji=ridgeback happy size=1]
Maybe to fix the exalts if you want, you can have some sort of max for one year, and then if they are extra hatches they can be stored to be sold the following year, like they are being rolled over? It’s only if your good with keeping them for a whole year which is a little extreme.

Only a suggestion, but I think your doing it the best way to appease everyone! I mean she is your dragon so you get to do what you want!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15