Back

Dragon Share

Show off your favorite dragons.
TOPIC | NotN Theme: Stolen Shadows
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
[center][color=gray]vv Scroll down for the dragons. vv[/color][/center] ----- [columns][item=unhatched Nocturne egg] [nextcol] [color=#731d08][size=7][b]A Quest Begins[/b][/size][/color] [color=gray]Continued from [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/drs/2798872/1#post_2798872]Stolen Shadows[/url], the prompt for the Dragon Share theme for NotN 2019.[/color][/columns] [b]Note that the dragons featured in this story have incomplete gene/outfit plans at this time, but the story will refer to them as if all plans were finished.[/b] [i]“If we don’t rescue Shadowsong before this long night ends, she’ll be Thana’s forever.”[/i] The words rang out in the darkness of the night. Element hissed softly to himself at the idea. Shadowsong, the most powerful Singer... abducted by her own sister? Something just didn't seem right. Element turned to look at Aramoana, who was standing over the dark blue Nocturne and whispering a healing spell. From what he could see, the Nocturne was completely — or at least mostly — healed. "Something doesn't seem right," Aramoana mused as she carved invisible runes in the air with one claw. "A Singer captured by Mimics?" "Captured by her sister," the other Nocturne corrected. "We believe Thana has allied herself with the Mimics." "But Thana is a Singer, is she not? So why leave her lair, her clan?" Aramoana turned her gaze toward the sky, watching as a comet flashed in the darkness. "We don't know," the blue Nocturne joined in. "But we need to get her back." "Then we shall," the Elder dragon said softly. He stayed silent for a moment, then continued. "We aren't safe here. We need to keep moving." "But where do we go? The Highlands have been overrun by these cursed Mimics." Aramoana turned to look at Element, a worried look on her face. "We couldn't possibly defeat them all. Surely there must be another option?" "We have no other option, Ara," the Elder said with a sigh. "Either we defeat them, or we die trying." He paused for a moment, then turned to the young Nocturnes. "And what of the other Singers? Are they... do they continue?" "We don't know," the blue Nocturne answered. "We haven't heard from them, but the last time we saw them...." She slowly trailed off, as if the idea was too horrible to be spoken of. Element nodded slowly. They were completely alone in this quest. Azaran spoke up suddenly, "We should send out a message! To our allies, right? Maybe they could —" "No!" Element said sharply. "We can't risk putting others in danger." "Then what do we do?" The Elder turned to the pair of young Nocturnes. "Lead us to her." "To... to Thana? But we can't protect —" "You can't protect us, I know. But it's our only chance." "Alright then. Let's go." "No! Void, we can't! It's too dangerous," the blue Nocturne said. She turned toward Element. "You should free your lair first. We can't help you, but maybe your clan can." Element paused, thinking. "She's right," he said finally. He turned toward his clanmates, who were watching him expectantly. "We go back first, back to the Highlands. We free our clan. Then we find Thana." A rustling in the bushes had Element on full alert. He got up slowly, preparing to attack, but stopped himself when he realized it was only Hihiria. "I finished scanning the area," the young warrior announced. "There's no sign of the Mimics." "That doesn't mean they're gone for good," Element said. "Let's go." [center]~~~[/center] Dust swirled in the air as a light breeze floated across the earth. Element shook his head, hissing at himself. He should have recognized the Mimic magic from those hatchlings. How had he not sensed it? The outer ruins of the Highlands reached toward the sky in the darkness. Everything was completely silent; even the usual sounds of the city of stone had stopped, as if the place had been abandoned. Element looked back at his clanmates. He had no idea what was coming next, but he had to protect them. Yet how could he, when he couldn't even tell the difference between a Mimic and an innocent hatchling? "I'll go ahead and check things out," Hihiria said. "Maybe I'll find some sign of what's happened here." She ran into the ruins without waiting for a response. Element turned to look at Aramoana, a hopeful look in his eyes. But she shook her head — the Tidelord remained silent, she couldn't tell him what would happen. "Let's go," Element said softly. He led them slowly into the Highlands. "I don't like this," Azaran said. "I really, [i]really[/i] don't like this. It's too quiet." "No need to worry, Azaran. It's like this every night." The Elder would never admit it, but the territory did seem more quiet than usual. He stopped, and turned toward his clanmates. "Let's split up. Aramoana, go with them," he nodded at the Singers. "Azaran, you're with me." He watched as Aramoana led the Nocturnes away between the ruins, then turned and headed in the opposite direction. Azaran jumped after him. "We should check out the Opera Hall first," the Tundra said. "Ara's probably going to the Lake." "Yes, yes! Oh — good idea! We can ask Royal! I bet she'd know what happened!" "Hush, now," Element whispered as they approached the Opera Hall. "We don't know what we're going to find. Be quiet, and don't touch [i]anything[/i]. Got it?" Azaran nodded. Element turned away from him, pushing the great ebony doors open with an eerie [i]creak[/i] that echoed throughout the room. The two looked at each other, then entered. The lights were off, and papers and books had been thrown everywhere. But the Opera Hall appeared to be completely empty. "Ah!" Azaran screamed, jumping on Element's tail. "It's on me! It's —" "[i]Calm down.[/i] It's just a piece of paper. You know, this wouldn't happen if you'd just stop flicking your tail everywhere." Element paused, listening carefully. He couldn't hear any noises, aside from his own soft breathing and Azaran's panicked panting; there was a good chance they were alone. "Royal!" The air in front of them shimmered, and the familiar semi-transparent shape of a purple and gold Spiral appeared. "Greetings! Come to watch a play? Oh — a moment to late! There was a [i]spectacular[/i] show not too long ago, y'know id really recommend it. It was great! There was magic, and dragons, and —" "Royal," Element interrupted. "We need to know. What happened here?" "Ah, yes, well, let's see," the spirit began fiddling with her talons, as if she was counting her claws. "There was the play! Oh, yes, and another play after that! And then I dared Alatar to eat a mouse — y'know, for him being a Shadow dragon he [i]really[/i] hates tricks. Yet I see him tricking dragons all the time! Now what could that possibly be about? You'd think he'd take part in tricks just like all the other Shadow dragons, yes? But he doesn't! Very strange, don't you think? I saw him chasing a fly yesterday — and not even to eat it! He said he just wanted to catch it and play with it. A Shadow dragon playing with his food? Such a disgrace! I tell you, such a disgrace...." Well, this was just his luck. The entire clan was gone, and the only help he had was his small, powerless group and a ghost with the attention span of a gnat. Element rolled his eyes. Could this situation possibly get any worse? The door flew open suddenly, and Element whipped around to see Aramoana and the two Singers fly in. "Any news?" "Hihiria," the Oracle panted, her wings shaking. "Hihiria? What about her?" "Yeah, what about her?" Azaran chimed in. "Other than the fact that she's completely irresponsible for a warrior, which we already kn—" Element cut him off with a sharp glare, then turned to the terrified Guardian. "What happened?" "We — we were at the Lake, and —" "What she's trying to say," Void interjected, "is that we found your warrior." "Is... is she...." "Alive? Yes." "Then what?" The Nocturne dipped his head, as if he didn't want to say. He took a breath, then slowly lifted his head to look Element in the eyes. "She was captured by the Mimics." [center][color=gray]View this story on my lore thread, [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2775940/6#post_41723344]The Highlands[/url]. There is a pretty good chance of me writing a part two of this once I see the prompt for next year. However, if anyone is really interested I could probably stretch this whole thing out into a series.[/color][/center] ----- [columns][url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48126109] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/481262/48126109.png[/img] [/url] [nextcol][color=#731d08][size=5][b]Element[/b][/size][/color] • [color=brown] The Elder Dragon[/color] The mysterious Elder Dragon, said to know the secrets of even the deepest and darkest corners of Sornieth. This legendary dragon knows more than just his own Lightning magic, and has experienced terrible horrors, many of which can never be spoken. [/columns] [columns][right][color=brown] The Oracle/Healer's Apprentice[/color] • [color=#731d08][size=5][b]Aramoana[/b][/size][/color] Lost without the guidance of her Deity, Aramoana chose to take up a life as a healer. However, life as a healer is far more interesting than she'd originally thought it would be. Maybe it's a little [i]too[/i] interesting....[/right] [nextcol][url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=55579216] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/555793/55579216.png[/img] [/url] [/columns] [columns][url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=57666684] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/576667/57666684.png[/img] [/url] [nextcol][color=#731d08][size=5][b]Hihiria[/b][/size][/color] • [color=brown] The Warrior[/color] Hihiria is one of the clan's best warriors.... and in this case, the clan's last line of defense. Literally. [/columns] [columns][right][color=brown] The Gatekeeper[/color] • [color=#731d08][size=5][b]Azaran[/b][/size][/color] Azaran knows he can't escape his destiny to be specially trained in the art of his cursed ancestors, yet he still tries to avoid it anyway. His "obsessive" younger sister sees him as her Charge.... just another reason for him to sneak out on a dangerous adventure in the middle of the night.[/right] [nextcol][url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=55785892] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/557859/55785892.png[/img] [/url] [/columns]
vv Scroll down for the dragons. vv

Unhatched Nocturne Egg A Quest Begins
Continued from Stolen Shadows, the prompt for the Dragon Share theme for NotN 2019.

Note that the dragons featured in this story have incomplete gene/outfit plans at this time, but the story will refer to them as if all plans were finished.

“If we don’t rescue Shadowsong before this long night ends, she’ll be Thana’s forever.”

The words rang out in the darkness of the night. Element hissed softly to himself at the idea. Shadowsong, the most powerful Singer... abducted by her own sister? Something just didn't seem right.

Element turned to look at Aramoana, who was standing over the dark blue Nocturne and whispering a healing spell. From what he could see, the Nocturne was completely — or at least mostly — healed.

"Something doesn't seem right," Aramoana mused as she carved invisible runes in the air with one claw. "A Singer captured by Mimics?"

"Captured by her sister," the other Nocturne corrected. "We believe Thana has allied herself with the Mimics."

"But Thana is a Singer, is she not? So why leave her lair, her clan?" Aramoana turned her gaze toward the sky, watching as a comet flashed in the darkness.

"We don't know," the blue Nocturne joined in. "But we need to get her back."

"Then we shall," the Elder dragon said softly. He stayed silent for a moment, then continued. "We aren't safe here. We need to keep moving."

"But where do we go? The Highlands have been overrun by these cursed Mimics." Aramoana turned to look at Element, a worried look on her face. "We couldn't possibly defeat them all. Surely there must be another option?"

"We have no other option, Ara," the Elder said with a sigh. "Either we defeat them, or we die trying." He paused for a moment, then turned to the young Nocturnes. "And what of the other Singers? Are they... do they continue?"

"We don't know," the blue Nocturne answered. "We haven't heard from them, but the last time we saw them...." She slowly trailed off, as if the idea was too horrible to be spoken of.

Element nodded slowly. They were completely alone in this quest.

Azaran spoke up suddenly, "We should send out a message! To our allies, right? Maybe they could —"

"No!" Element said sharply. "We can't risk putting others in danger."

"Then what do we do?"

The Elder turned to the pair of young Nocturnes. "Lead us to her."

"To... to Thana? But we can't protect —"

"You can't protect us, I know. But it's our only chance."

"Alright then. Let's go."

"No! Void, we can't! It's too dangerous," the blue Nocturne said. She turned toward Element. "You should free your lair first. We can't help you, but maybe your clan can."

Element paused, thinking. "She's right," he said finally. He turned toward his clanmates, who were watching him expectantly. "We go back first, back to the Highlands. We free our clan. Then we find Thana."

A rustling in the bushes had Element on full alert. He got up slowly, preparing to attack, but stopped himself when he realized it was only Hihiria.

"I finished scanning the area," the young warrior announced. "There's no sign of the Mimics."

"That doesn't mean they're gone for good," Element said. "Let's go."

~~~

Dust swirled in the air as a light breeze floated across the earth. Element shook his head, hissing at himself. He should have recognized the Mimic magic from those hatchlings. How had he not sensed it?

The outer ruins of the Highlands reached toward the sky in the darkness. Everything was completely silent; even the usual sounds of the city of stone had stopped, as if the place had been abandoned.

Element looked back at his clanmates. He had no idea what was coming next, but he had to protect them. Yet how could he, when he couldn't even tell the difference between a Mimic and an innocent hatchling?

"I'll go ahead and check things out," Hihiria said. "Maybe I'll find some sign of what's happened here." She ran into the ruins without waiting for a response.

Element turned to look at Aramoana, a hopeful look in his eyes. But she shook her head — the Tidelord remained silent, she couldn't tell him what would happen.

"Let's go," Element said softly. He led them slowly into the Highlands.

"I don't like this," Azaran said. "I really, really don't like this. It's too quiet."

"No need to worry, Azaran. It's like this every night." The Elder would never admit it, but the territory did seem more quiet than usual. He stopped, and turned toward his clanmates. "Let's split up. Aramoana, go with them," he nodded at the Singers. "Azaran, you're with me."

He watched as Aramoana led the Nocturnes away between the ruins, then turned and headed in the opposite direction. Azaran jumped after him.

"We should check out the Opera Hall first," the Tundra said. "Ara's probably going to the Lake."

"Yes, yes! Oh — good idea! We can ask Royal! I bet she'd know what happened!"

"Hush, now," Element whispered as they approached the Opera Hall. "We don't know what we're going to find. Be quiet, and don't touch anything. Got it?"

Azaran nodded. Element turned away from him, pushing the great ebony doors open with an eerie creak that echoed throughout the room. The two looked at each other, then entered.

The lights were off, and papers and books had been thrown everywhere. But the Opera Hall appeared to be completely empty.

"Ah!" Azaran screamed, jumping on Element's tail. "It's on me! It's —"

"Calm down. It's just a piece of paper. You know, this wouldn't happen if you'd just stop flicking your tail everywhere." Element paused, listening carefully. He couldn't hear any noises, aside from his own soft breathing and Azaran's panicked panting; there was a good chance they were alone. "Royal!"

The air in front of them shimmered, and the familiar semi-transparent shape of a purple and gold Spiral appeared. "Greetings! Come to watch a play? Oh — a moment to late! There was a spectacular show not too long ago, y'know id really recommend it. It was great! There was magic, and dragons, and —"

"Royal," Element interrupted. "We need to know. What happened here?"

"Ah, yes, well, let's see," the spirit began fiddling with her talons, as if she was counting her claws. "There was the play! Oh, yes, and another play after that! And then I dared Alatar to eat a mouse — y'know, for him being a Shadow dragon he really hates tricks. Yet I see him tricking dragons all the time! Now what could that possibly be about? You'd think he'd take part in tricks just like all the other Shadow dragons, yes? But he doesn't! Very strange, don't you think? I saw him chasing a fly yesterday — and not even to eat it! He said he just wanted to catch it and play with it. A Shadow dragon playing with his food? Such a disgrace! I tell you, such a disgrace...."

Well, this was just his luck. The entire clan was gone, and the only help he had was his small, powerless group and a ghost with the attention span of a gnat. Element rolled his eyes. Could this situation possibly get any worse?

The door flew open suddenly, and Element whipped around to see Aramoana and the two Singers fly in.

"Any news?"

"Hihiria," the Oracle panted, her wings shaking.

"Hihiria? What about her?"

"Yeah, what about her?" Azaran chimed in. "Other than the fact that she's completely irresponsible for a warrior, which we already kn—"

Element cut him off with a sharp glare, then turned to the terrified Guardian. "What happened?"

"We — we were at the Lake, and —"

"What she's trying to say," Void interjected, "is that we found your warrior."

"Is... is she...."

"Alive? Yes."

"Then what?"

The Nocturne dipped his head, as if he didn't want to say. He took a breath, then slowly lifted his head to look Element in the eyes. "She was captured by the Mimics."
View this story on my lore thread, The Highlands.

There is a pretty good chance of me writing a part two of this once I see the prompt for next year. However, if anyone is really interested I could probably stretch this whole thing out into a series.

48126109.png
Element The Elder Dragon
The mysterious Elder Dragon, said to know the secrets of even the deepest and darkest corners of Sornieth. This legendary dragon knows more than just his own Lightning magic, and has experienced terrible horrors, many of which can never be spoken.
The Oracle/Healer's ApprenticeAramoana
Lost without the guidance of her Deity, Aramoana chose to take up a life as a healer. However, life as a healer is far more interesting than she'd originally thought it would be. Maybe it's a little too interesting....

55579216.png

57666684.png
Hihiria The Warrior
Hihiria is one of the clan's best warriors.... and in this case, the clan's last line of defense. Literally.
The GatekeeperAzaran
Azaran knows he can't escape his destiny to be specially trained in the art of his cursed ancestors, yet he still tries to avoid it anyway. His "obsessive" younger sister sees him as her Charge.... just another reason for him to sneak out on a dangerous adventure in the middle of the night.

55785892.png
waywind_banner.png

Waywind Wanderers

We will wander wherever the wind takes us.
(The Dragons are all at the end of the story.) [b]Stolen shadows, continued.[/b] [i]"If we don't rescue Shadowsong before this long night ends, she'll be Thana's forever"[/i] There was no time to lose. The so called long night wouldn't last forever. Usually, when there was a deadline, time slipped through claws like sand and the more one would panic trying to grasp at it, sooner the sand would be all gone. «We understand.» the old Tundra nodded at the blue dragon under their healer's care, currently lying down on her front over a soft spot of humid moss. «We'll move as soon as you're healed.» «Hm. Well, did you hear what Avion said?!» A young Tundra snapped, turning swiftly his head from the older dragon and the Nocturne he carried down. He hurried back over to their healer, claws sinking into the moss he sent flying behind himself, shredded cloak rising up like a dark wave of murk. «Hurry!» he shouted in the other's ear, voice still loud and aggressive despite being muffled by his mask. But the third Tundra merely grinned, his electric blue swirl eyes spinning in a hypnotic rhythm. The bright and psychedelic pattern over the dark blue of his body forming faces as the fur moved, when he slowly turned the neck to stare into purple angry eyes. «Don't you rush me, Lost. I'm a healer, I'm a genius, you don't want the genius to get mad» «You already are mad, Acids!» was the answer, while a paw slapped the ground hard. Nightsong lifted her head and attempted to pull herself away from the healer's soft touch over her spine «Excuse me?!» Well, it really was a normal reaction to get worried once you hear a dragon accusing the one in charge of your health to be mad. Voidsong couldn't help but turn his head up to stare at the dragon that held him against his dark lab coat. There was a light chuckle coming from above, then the large purple tail wrapped itself around the dark Nocturne «He's just a not conventional healer.» «The night is young, my dears» A voice came from behind the elder. The fourth dragon. A Mirror, dark as the night, with glowing purple eyes, and a gloomwillow guide floating near her. «Whatever.» Lost grumbled, standing up and starting walk in circle, but visibly calmer than before «Just... The "long night" is not as long as it sounds.» «He's not wrong though...» Nightsong spoke up, pushing herself against the paw on her back to stand up again «We really need to move, we--» and she found out she could effectively move to stand up. Well, that pretty much meant they were in safe hands after all, under the... mad healer's care. The Mirror walked against Avion, scratching her hip on his smirched wing and then passing the crest over his neck «I have a scientist, a healer and a young hunter on my side...» she proceeded towards Lost and Acids, passing between them and whipping the long tail on the ground «Not exactly the best team to take back an occupied lair and rescue your dear mentor... so I won't have you two slowing us down any further because you're not properly healed». She turned the head and glanced from behind her shoulder «You have your mentor stuck in there. While I have my eggs, my beloved younglings and my warriors...» She grit her teeth and growled loudly. «Shadowplay» the Gloomwillow guide whispered at her «they're just worried for her.» The leader relaxed her crest and turned to sit down «Yes and-» Nightsong proved to the Mirror sitting in front of her she was fine now, by standing and going close to her «we'll help you find Thana... and free your lair.» Voidsong nodded, now the one being healed under Acids's paw. «The last thing we want is to slow you down, we don't have time to lose.» «Healing you isn't wasting time. And not even thinking of a plan is. Because if yours was diving down from above like you did before, that is out of question.» Both Nocturne fluttered their wings in nervousism. They did because it was a desperate attempt to save Shadowsong. they both knew physical attacks like that made no sense. «Listen--» The dark dragon tried to explain, but the Elder leaned forward «She knows it's not your fault. » it really was better if they stopped arguing «She is only very worried too. And tends to become... aggressive.» Once even Voidsong stood by his sister, the Mirror stood up and circled Lost «I want you to proceed further, before us.» She looked behind his back «Where's the Illusionist?» His familiar emerged from the shadow underneath the Tundra «Ma'am» he bowed, holding the emblem behind his back as his goopy murk dropped forward from his head in a bow. «I want you to make sure we can move freely. I don't want them to think we're coming back so soon, stop us in case someone comes closer.» then looked at the two Nocturne «You're our guide... stay on the front...» and he pushed the couple in position behind the bushes of bramble «when the Illusionist stops you, dive into the bushes here, and don't move till he tells you.» She went to move away but returned and licked the two over heir forehead swiftly. «Shadowplay »Will pointed at Acids. «He's not going to really help in this ambush» «I know, Will.» she nodded and nuzzled the brightly colored Tundra. «Say boss,» the dragon grinned «want me to make them travel to the moon for a while? Brew's still in there, I can tell her to dump her potions over the chemicals in Avion's lab» «Allow me to disagree» the elder voice reached the couple. The Mirror smiled and shook the head «We've dragons in there. The toxic vapors won't harm only the mimics. No...» she purred «Go towards the back.. pretend that since you’re so bright... you went that way to void trouble. Make sure Brew follows you. Then... once they're out make them have a trip on stunned-land with the anesthetic potions she carries with herself... once they're all out of the way,» she moved closer «make sure to smell like them with their powder, and turn back inside. The ones left in the lair will think you're a mimic that took their victim's look». The first two Tundra moved forward, one flat on his front, dragging himself forward and the other flying above the three. «What about me?» Avion waited for orders from the leader. «You stay near those two... once we're inside help us recognize dragons from mimics. If there's a smell you don't recognize... point towards it and come backwards. » «You think Blhood...» The leader opened her wings wide for a moment, then folded them back «He's not an idiot. He's fine. He wouldn't have fought them all alone like that.» «What about BlackSuit?» Shadowplay shook the head «He wasn't in the lair when it happened. Thankfully, I suppose.» He really didn't need that demon to come play. This Thana wasn't the kind of dragon to play with. She then made a sign with the head for the two Nocturne to start moving. Void turned towards the elder Tundra behind them «Why is your leader...» she looked back, far behind Avion pulled his eyewears low over his eyes «She stays back so she can take the speed and launch forward in case of frontal attack.» Nightsong nodded slowly, thren whispered «Hm.. you're all Tundra-?» «Ah, well... Lost was a Mirror before.» «We noticed.» Pretty aggressive, sliding on the ground... some behavior remained even after a breed changed. «Well» Avion added «We smelled something wasn't right... and managed to find a way out before Mimics came out of nowhere, Shadowplay wanted to stay and fight but... but those hatchlings. She's got a strong motherly instinct. They tricked her.» The blue Nocturne immediately stilled when The Illusionist, Lost's familiar slithered over to them «If you want to come in, now or never.» «Shadowplay…» Avion turned to look at her, who quickly moved forwards «Illusionist...» she huffed «Where's Lost?» «Inside, Ma'am. With the prisoners. They're left alone, the mimics ignored them completely. It's the only safe place.» «Prisoners?!» Voidsong quickly received a smirched wing over the face to be shushed «We explain later.» «No wait a moment-- » his sister turned towards the Elder. «Do you miss Shadowsong?» the Mirror hissed at her «Of course!» «Then dive!» she wrapped her mouth loosely around Voidsong's tail and ran forward, pushing herself up and glided forward towards the Lair, holding the Nocturne with herself. Avion didn't need to hold Nightsong, the dragon took off and followed them by herself. To get inside as swiftly as possible, they passed through bramble and pine trees, poor Avion having more trouble with all his fur stuck into the thorns. They swiftly slid down the first tunnel and fell into the hole, in the Prisoner's den. Not the softest landing despite the huge Imperial opening his wings to catch the four dragons. That fell in. «Leader...?» he looked down at the Mirror who swiftly stood up. «Shh. Shh.» she rubbed her muzzle of her his cheek «Lie down, everything will be alright...» «Ah so these are prisoners-?» Voidsong whispered. She seemed much more loving and caring than she was with them before. «Later. If we have time.» Avion repeated. Lost was waiting in a corner «well, what do we do leader?» Shadowplay pulled the two Nocturne close to herself. The den was dark and the only light coming from the purple glow of her eyes and the colony of blue marshwisp mushrooms growing on the hunter's dark cloak. «Tell me... where is she?» She whispered «Thana. Where is she?!» Nightsong focused, then turned the head in a direction, pointing the wall «That way...» «Yes» her brother confirmed «Shadowsong.. is there, prisoner.» «Shadowplay, Shadowplay...! easy, calm calm...» The Gloomwillow guide held her crest «There's where all the eggs are! Where my little ones stay. It's my den!» the little creature moved in front of her «Yes... but stay calm. We need a trick. We need... to proceed calmly. » «Right...» she looked at Avion. «Hm. We can't afford to attack Mimics to get their powder and roll inside it» the elder nodded slowly and smiled at her «My laboratory is full of that powder, for my experiments.» «Well. Lost.» she called «Slither on the other side, wait for Brew and Acids to return. Tell her to get filled with powder from his laboratory...» Avion smiled «And three vials of green sludge- ah no wait... we're in five. Five.» The younger Tundra rolled his eyes «And if she doesn't find it? Green is rare.» «That's totally incorrect.» the scientist shook his head. «It's common just when you don't need it.» «then tell them to take yellow... there's always yellow» «And if it's finished too?» This time Avion replied with a smile «Trust me... yellow is the only sludge you won't ever lack.» «So you're a scientist-?» Voidsong asked, claws scratching nervously the soil. «And the other...?» «Acids is a healer» Shadowplay explained «An experimental healer. He uses new potions and mechanical science to... repair us. Unconventional healer, yes. But until now he gifted a pair of working eyes to a dragon that got blinded and a pair of wings to another who was born with backwards bones.» She grinned «And he uses his failed anesthetic potions as weapons. Gives the unfortunate enemies a travel to the hallucination world.» Soon enough, a strong, disgusting smell aporached the hole they've been hiding inside. Acids and Lost, followed by a Curious Kettle full of green powder made their way inside. The two Nocturned hissed «A mimic--?!» «Brew» Acids corrected «She's a friend of mine, colleague!» he giggled, looking at the elder and dropping the vials in his mouth... and a little Cheerful Residue jumped off his back to go snuggle against the scientist's leg. «Your turn now.» the healer purred. Nightsong and Voidsong stepped away «You befriend a mimic-- and what are you going to do here?» Avion stopped near the familiar, making sure to have his eyewear on, pulled his gloves further up his arms and got to work «Thank you, Brew, darling. I promise I'll be gentle.» and he got to work, mixing the mimic powder in the kettle, slowly adding the sludge, one by one all five the vials. The blue Nocturne looked inside the... mimic-kettle. «What are we doing?» «He's preparing a bath.» Acids giggled. «I'm serious» she turned towards him frowning. «And so he is.» Shadowplay smirked, circling around her. «Well… the bath is ready,» The elder nodded, stepping away from the happy familiar. Both Nocturne panicked «You're all mimics?! You-- AAAH!» The kettle grabbed the blue dragon's legs and dumped her down inside the green bubbling liquid, making her sink in it «Night! No!!» The brother jumped forward, trying to attack the mimic, resulting with having Acids reaching over to grab onto his wings and throwing him inside as well. «Very funny. «Yeah. Really.» The siblings grumbled, as they emerged from the smelly green substance they… bathed inside. The huge white Imperial shook his head «Shadow Dragons...» A white Pearlcatcher near him shrugged «Tricksters...» Shadowplay hissed at the two... prisoners «You Light dragons wouldn't know what to do in these cases, too honest to play a part?» She shook the head and pulled the two Nocturne out, going to bathe inside the giggling kettle. Lost came next and then even Avion. The young hunter snarled in disgust «Now we're disgusting!» «Now the mimics will believe we're mimics too.» Avion corrected, smiling as the little Residue climbed up his shoulder and then sliding to hide in a pocket of his coat. «Avion, Lost... you go search all our dragons » she nuzzled Avion's muzzle «You know their smell. Call them... and make them leave the den. Your cheerful Residue will prove they can trust you. Make them all leave, all as soon as possible» «But...!» «Lost... I'll make that Thana leave the den... I can't fight with all those eggs around» «How?» Nightsong whispered «If she's there for that reason, she won’t leave.» «Acids... Brew» Shadowplay called «You two will prepare something special for our unwanted guest. One of your failed anesthetics, the eggs won't smell anything, but she'll be forced to leave.» The three slowly left the hole to get to work. «Now you two. We need her to expose Shadowsong. Get in first, in my den-» «What? Like this?» Voidsong tilted his helm «No ambush?» «Yes, just like this. Walk inside and as soon as you see me lying flat on the ground, you do the same and hold your breath.» The two looked at each other «What about Shadowsong? » Voidsong asked «I'll take your Mentor, I'll keep her low on the ground with me.» The three made their way towards the leader's den. Shadowplay threw them inside, then swiftly started to climb up the wall, claws sinking in the ceiling. And there was something she didn't expect. But she couldn't talk. No... they had to be patient. She couldn't jump down now. «Shadowsong!» The two shouted, quickly moving closer to the bigger nocturne, She was laying against a wall, panting and gasping for air, she looked weak. Trapped in a web of murk. Vines of darkness keeping her strapped on floor. The whole den was filled with these webs. It was like the den of a spider... Voidsong started running towards her, followed by his sister «We're here! It's us!» «No, no stay away!» A voice came... but not from the Nocturne in front of them. From behind. «W-what?» The blue dragon stopped and turned around. There was Shadowsong... in a web, wrapped in a cocoon of darkness that trapped her wings. «But how?!» They suddenly found out their legs wouldn't move. Stuck. They were stuck in a shadow-web too. With horror they looked at the bait. The... The one they believed to be Shadowsong, now melting into a black pool, then raising... in the form of a Nocturne, drooping liquid shadows and black goo. Her mouth opened, revealing a bright green inside, smelling just like that disgusting mimic powder. No eyes visible under all that black grime sliding over the face. [center] «[i]My little ones... did you come for me?[/i] » [/center] She then started laughing, coils of darkness wrapping against their legs and wings, dragging them down on the floor. «No, no.. let them go!» The trapped Nocturne hissed from her prison. [center] [i]«Why don't you stat singing? Now we're all together in this pretty den...»[/i][/center] «Shadowsong!» They yelled in panic, looking up at the ceiling, spotting the Mirror. "Ah damn it." She thought. "Don't look up here!" But too late. She noticed That monstrosity tilting the head upwards. Ambush it is then! She dived down, claws sinking into goo and slime and scratching down the back, as deep as she could... meeting nothing. She seemed to be made out of this grime! Thana opened her wings wide, splattering the walls with stains of this dark material she was made of. And gasped, blowing out a green smoke, making Shadowplay gag and jump away. Will backed away and stood by her side. «Ugh! You talked about singing?» the Mirror growled at her «No please, keep your mouth shut.» She jumped forward, expecting a counterattack.. two vines emerging from the ground and trying to block her. The wings opened wide to suddenly stop, moving backwards and sink her teeth in the tentacles that tried to catch her too. She tore them in pieces, spitting out the muck left in her mouth. [center] [i]«Oh, yours doesn’t seem much better than mine»[/i][/center] The clan leader looked at her Guide, eyeing at the eggs and the young Nocturne siblings. He had to go push them away, make sure they wouldn’t break.?Not that she intended to fight. She couldn’t. Only… making this beast waste time for her clan mates to leave. Acids’ failed chemicals wouldn’t have done them any good. Her crest relaxed as if she wasn’t facing one dangerous beast that occupied her den, making it the best battlefield for herself. She carefully stepped over the traps she left, trotting around. Her mouth filled with good opened wide, long strings attached to her teeth snapping and breaking in black drops?. «You don’t like it?» she purred, sliding around her, purposely stepping above the webs on the ground, making her legs pass between the holes, showing how much she cared about the traps, teasing her. «I was hoping you’d be attracted by it, seeing how you decorated our den.» she whipped the tail around, moving sinuously underneath a string of shade. The two Nocturne looked at each other. What was she doing? Flirting?? A faint blue light appeared under their belly. Will, the Gloomwillow guide arrived to tear away the vines that trapped them on the ground.? [center][i]«You’re going down a dangerous path»[/i][/center] Oh she as getting nervous, wasn’t she? Her attacks became more irregular and Shadowplay moved around like she knew this battlefield way better than the dragon occupying it. Well of course… it was her den. Not Thana’s. Who stood up and started to move forward, towards that Mirror that seemed not to have understood the situation she just put herself into. [center][i]«This den is mine. And I am this den.» [/i][/center] She hissed, stains and webs bubbling, shivering. Like… like they were made of her, part of her body. Smelling of mimic powder, filled with their magic.?What kind of abomination… «I don’t think so. I say my smell is still there underneath your disgusting breath.» Shadowplay whipped her long tail around cutting in half another vine that tried to sneak behind her back «You like it, don’t you?» Will cut the restraints free, and the Mirror dived far from them, keeping Thana’s attention on herself.? «We must go» he whispered in their ear.? «Bu—» «Shh. Shadowsong is in safe hands, soon here it’ll be a trap of poisonous chemicals…» «Admit it, you find me absolutely irresistible-» Shadowplay kept mocking the dark Nocturne, not once attempting to attack, after the first ambush. [center][i] «There’s no space for you and your ego in this tiny hole.»[/i][/center] The attacks became faster, too fast for the Mirror that had just enough to jump above Shadowsong before feeling her legs and her wings getting trapped in tentacles of darkness. «Ch- Ah… So, you like to play rough?» She felt a coil squeezing her neck so much, she was sure it would have soon snapped. The big Nocturne opened her wings and stopped in front of her, her disgusting breath coming out in a green smoke. [center] [i]«Too confident, little firefly… you got caught. While it could have been easier for you, if you didn’t bother the spider.» [/i][/center] Firefly. Tsk. «I say you’re quite interested in me…» she snickered, seeing the two Nocturne leaving the trap and their mentor near her letting out a sigh of relief. Thana turned around to look at them, just in time to see a blue and black tail slithering out of the den.?The grasp around the two trapped dragons became tighter. «Hey-» The Mirror’s voice a light whisper «I say it for you… I-If you become my mate, my clan won’t slaughter you when you’ll fly outside» She turned around, smirking too now [center] [i]«Leave?»[/i][/center] The Nocturne moved closer, like a spider that descends on a poor trapped fly. [center][i]«For them?» [/i][/center] There was a laugher [center][i]«Was that your plan? I don’t care about those younglings. I won’t fly after them… and even if I wanted them, I’d send my mimics.» [/i][/center] But the grin faded like a shadow when the sun sets. The Mirror relaxed again. «Nah… I know you don’t want them. You think I’m an idiot, Sunshine?» her crest raised up again «But as flattered as I am to have you staying for ma, you’d better fly out to take some fresh air.» In an instant, there was a disgusting smell, filling the den, the tunnels blowing the chemicals through the whole lair in a moment. It was burning in the lungs and in the nose. Shadowplay felt the restrains shivering and bubbling, breaking like rotten vines. And she fell down, face hitting the ground, forcing herself not to gasp for air, when the neck was finally released. The chemicals already making her den look long… the way out, so far away. «Shadowsong…!» she coughed, seeing the Nocturne laying immobile on the door. She was panting… and no, that wouldn’t do! She moved closer, biting onto her neck gently and enveloping the wings over her head. Thana Left. She heard that dragon making her way out, probably ruing alf of her lair, the beast.? «My little ones…!» The Mirror heard her whispering «They’re out- they…» No, no. no time to waste the air like this.She pulled the Nocturne over her shoulder and closed the eyes, feeling the den around herself with her paws only, and ignoring the hallucinations, started to run to get out, knowing by heart these tunnels. «Leader!» Avion shouted, from outside the den. He could see only mimics falling fainted all around. «Shadowsong!» The two Nocturne called, all three standing so close to the Lair… the toxic gasses hissing out like a backwards river, flowing up towards the sky. Lost and his Illusionist smelling over and over again all the dragons they pulled out, checking again to make sure that yes.. they didn’t mistake anyone for a mimic and left alone some poor dragon. And Acids was there with Brew, healing those that got attacked by the mimics. There was a movement in the darkness, Avion opening his wings and getting ready to fight, and so did all the others, despite the wounds they all stood up and stared inside too. Knowing this Thana would have came out first… now all her mimics were dealt with, she was alone. Nightsong smiled, moving forward when she saw who was coming out. Shadowsong and Shadowplay, the Mirror dragging their mentor over the back. «She’s safe, they’re both safe…!» «Leader!» Lost turned around, running to stay by the Elder’s side… until suddenly, Avion’s wings opened wide and flapped, pushing himself back and grabbing both the Nocturne, shielding them under his belly «Behind you!» he yelled, a coil of moving black tentacles dashing behind them. Shadowplay opened her wings dodging the vines, hitting against the chests the mimics that Acid and Lost took care of left behind. The younger Tundra pulled his illusionist up in his cloak and dashed forward and to pit the chemicals. Avion held the young ones still and protected. Lost had just enough time to yell «Watch out!» and stare in horror when one of the chests opened by itself, baring its mouth and jumping at the Nocturne their leader dropped. And then, seeing how Shadowplay dived in front of her. He head disappearing inside the Ectoplasmime. Shadowsong looked at the Mirror being swallowed whole in front of her.?For an instant everything went still. No… Shadowplay’s clan couldn’t accept what just happened. How could it… how?! Nightsong and Voidsong were the first to snap out of their trance when Thana returned, pulling their mentor up against herself, grime sliding down her head. [center] [i]«Now my darlings, it’s been fun…»[/i][/center] «No, No! She’s taking her away!» The blue Nocturne tried to jump forward, but Avion held her and her brother still. There… there was no way these two would have made it. [center][i]«But I grew tired of playing games with you»[/i][/center] «Oh really?» There was a voice, coming from behind Thana. Sweet, seducing and… relaxed. Coming from a dragon that seemed to have had a long restaurateur rest. «Shadowplay??» this wasn’t her smell. Avion shook his head. And Lost and Aicids stared too. «Now that I’ve finally gotten into it?» A dark figure, flew up ascending and then diving down on the black Nocturne, long wings cutting through her thick layer of murk, crimson scales finally coming to view, the dark mimic magic coming apart. She elegantly landed in front of the rescued dragons. A third Nocturne, holding Shadowsong from her neck, with jaws gently wrapped around it. Glowing purple eyes and fireflies following her like a blue trail. She couldn’t possibly be Shadowplay. She was a Mirror and this one a Nocturne…! «Seems like the mimic-master got betrayed.» The Ectoplasmime that ate Shadowplay was the next to attack Thana, chewing onto a wing and exposing another part, landing near the new Nocturne. «Well what is it? Those gasses should have left you breathless not speechless, Sunshine.» The dark dragon purred, winking. The black dragon opened her wings, goo and sludge splattering all around. Followed by a roar so loud, the stains bubbled and shivered, then the roar turned into a laugher, maniacal and furious. [center][i]«Not bad, young one! Acting so weak and stupid… But you will have no way to surprise me anymore when I’ll return.»[/i][/center] She melted down, like snow under a flame. A pool of shadows that passed through the soil, leaving only the voice. [center][i]«One year is short. Time slips through the claws when there’s a deadline.»[/i][/center] Shadowplay looked down at the Nocturne she released, both looking at each other…?«Isn’t that bad news?» She murmured, turning the head away «I expected her to say this…» Shadowsong replied? «Huh? What? No, I mean… our names were already similar. Now we’re both Nocturne.» Shadosong soon felt Nightsong and Voidsong jumping against her. «You’re back, you’re safe…!» The mentor looked at her… rescuer again, just when all her clan mates jumped at her, licking her, nuzzling her. «Shadowplay, you scared us to death! That mimic—» «How did you know?! How..?!» Shadowplay shrugged «I didn’t-» she looked at the Ectoplasmime, jumping around her. «I can only imagine … he had enough of Thana’s mess. He was being ordered around like a toy.» as for the gene scroll, he probably had no clue what was left stuck over his tongue. A coincidence probably. Lost and Avion snuggled her, getting used to her new smell. Acids instead just stepped over to the three Nocturne, starting to heal the oldest. «See what you can do to help her a bit, mad-healer» Voidsong joked. «Mad healer? What?» Normal reaction, really. Nightsong nuzzled Shadowsong’s neck. And then the kettle walked closer— Ah, way too many mimics acting weirdly this night. This clan, this leader. That Mirror… Nocturne now. «I say,» Shadowsong huffed, pulling her apprentices under her wings once they were read to leave again «Shadowplay…» The other turned towards her, surrounded by her dear clan mates too. «Name and breed aren’t the only things we’ve got in common.» «I hope you mean our loving clan mates» was the answer «Because I’ve a terrible personality.» «Hm, I like it.» «Now now, dear» The clean leader smirked «Don’t copy my behavior. Doesn’t suit you that much» She rubbed her helm against Shadowsong’s shoulder. «While focus to keep them safe instead.» «After what you’ve done, all you went through to save us, It’d be extremely disrespectful» The three raised up, opening her wings and disappearing in the sky. The long night seemed to be finally coming to an end. So…the night ended. And Shadowplay looked down at herself. She was… like reborn. A Nocturne. Hm… Will floated near her, landing on a shoulder. Mimics… tricksters. She felt like she understood something new, something more about illusions. Oh well, better starting to get ready to this new body… if Thana was turning back, they’d better get ready. [center]__________________________ [/center] [center] The Dragons (and familiars) [b]Avion[/b] The Elder [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=34577448] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/345775/34577448_350.png[/img] [/url] [right] (And Joy) [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/familiar/10884.png[/img] [/right] [/center] [center][b]Acids[/b] The Healer [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=44271201] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/442713/44271201_350.png[/img] [/url] [/center] [right](and Brew) [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/familiar/25164.png[/img][/right] [center] [b]Lost[/b] The hunter [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=54199078] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/541991/54199078_350.png[/img] [/url] [/center] [right](and The Illusionist) [img]https://flightrising.com/images/cms/familiar/16493.png[/img][/right] [center][b]Shadowplay[/b] The leader [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=53567453] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/535675/53567453_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] [right]... (and the strange mimic) [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/familiar/7698.png[/img][/right]
(The Dragons are all at the end of the story.)

Stolen shadows, continued.

"If we don't rescue Shadowsong before this long night ends, she'll be Thana's forever"

There was no time to lose. The so called long night wouldn't last forever. Usually, when there was a deadline, time slipped through claws like sand and the more one would panic trying to grasp at it, sooner the sand would be all gone.
«We understand.» the old Tundra nodded at the blue dragon under their healer's care, currently lying down on her front over a soft spot of humid moss.
«We'll move as soon as you're healed.»

«Hm. Well, did you hear what Avion said?!»
A young Tundra snapped, turning swiftly his head from the older dragon and the Nocturne he carried down. He hurried back over to their healer, claws sinking into the moss he sent flying behind himself, shredded cloak rising up like a dark wave of murk. «Hurry!» he shouted in the other's ear, voice still loud and aggressive despite being muffled by his mask.

But the third Tundra merely grinned, his electric blue swirl eyes spinning in a hypnotic rhythm. The bright and psychedelic pattern over the dark blue of his body forming faces as the fur moved, when he slowly turned the neck to stare into purple angry eyes.
«Don't you rush me, Lost. I'm a healer, I'm a genius, you don't want the genius to get mad»
«You already are mad, Acids!» was the answer, while a paw slapped the ground hard.
Nightsong lifted her head and attempted to pull herself away from the healer's soft touch over her spine «Excuse me?!» Well, it really was a normal reaction to get worried once you hear a dragon accusing the one in charge of your health to be mad.

Voidsong couldn't help but turn his head up to stare at the dragon that held him against his dark lab coat. There was a light chuckle coming from above, then the large purple tail wrapped itself around the dark Nocturne «He's just a not conventional healer.»

«The night is young, my dears»
A voice came from behind the elder. The fourth dragon. A Mirror, dark as the night, with glowing purple eyes, and a gloomwillow guide floating near her.
«Whatever.» Lost grumbled, standing up and starting walk in circle, but visibly calmer than before «Just... The "long night" is not as long as it sounds.»

«He's not wrong though...» Nightsong spoke up, pushing herself against the paw on her back to stand up again «We really need to move, we--» and she found out she could effectively move to stand up. Well, that pretty much meant they were in safe hands after all, under the... mad healer's care.

The Mirror walked against Avion, scratching her hip on his smirched wing and then passing the crest over his neck «I have a scientist, a healer and a young hunter on my side...» she proceeded towards Lost and Acids, passing between them and whipping the long tail on the ground «Not exactly the best team to take back an occupied lair and rescue your dear mentor... so I won't have you two slowing us down any further because you're not properly healed». She turned the head and glanced from behind her shoulder «You have your mentor stuck in there. While I have my eggs, my beloved younglings and my warriors...» She grit her teeth and growled loudly.

«Shadowplay» the Gloomwillow guide whispered at her «they're just worried for her.»
The leader relaxed her crest and turned to sit down
«Yes and-» Nightsong proved to the Mirror sitting in front of her she was fine now, by standing and going close to her «we'll help you find Thana... and free your lair.»
Voidsong nodded, now the one being healed under Acids's paw. «The last thing we want is to slow you down, we don't have time to lose.»
«Healing you isn't wasting time. And not even thinking of a plan is. Because if yours was diving down from above like you did before, that is out of question.»

Both Nocturne fluttered their wings in nervousism. They did because it was a desperate attempt to save Shadowsong. they both knew physical attacks like that made no sense.
«Listen--» The dark dragon tried to explain, but the Elder leaned forward «She knows it's not your fault. » it really was better if they stopped arguing «She is only very worried too. And tends to become... aggressive.»

Once even Voidsong stood by his sister, the Mirror stood up and circled Lost «I want you to proceed further, before us.» She looked behind his back «Where's the Illusionist?»
His familiar emerged from the shadow underneath the Tundra «Ma'am» he bowed, holding the emblem behind his back as his goopy murk dropped forward from his head in a bow.
«I want you to make sure we can move freely. I don't want them to think we're coming back so soon, stop us in case someone comes closer.» then looked at the two Nocturne «You're our guide... stay on the front...» and he pushed the couple in position behind the bushes of bramble «when the Illusionist stops you, dive into the bushes here, and don't move till he tells you.»
She went to move away but returned and licked the two over heir forehead swiftly.

«Shadowplay »Will pointed at Acids. «He's not going to really help in this ambush»
«I know, Will.» she nodded and nuzzled the brightly colored Tundra.
«Say boss,» the dragon grinned «want me to make them travel to the moon for a while? Brew's still in there, I can tell her to dump her potions over the chemicals in Avion's lab»
«Allow me to disagree» the elder voice reached the couple.
The Mirror smiled and shook the head «We've dragons in there. The toxic vapors won't harm only the mimics. No...» she purred «Go towards the back.. pretend that since you’re so bright... you went that way to void trouble. Make sure Brew follows you. Then... once they're out make them have a trip on stunned-land with the anesthetic potions she carries with herself... once they're all out of the way,» she moved closer «make sure to smell like them with their powder, and turn back inside. The ones left in the lair will think you're a mimic that took their victim's look».

The first two Tundra moved forward, one flat on his front, dragging himself forward and the other flying above the three.

«What about me?» Avion waited for orders from the leader. «You stay near those two... once we're inside help us recognize dragons from mimics. If there's a smell you don't recognize... point towards it and come backwards. »
«You think Blhood...»
The leader opened her wings wide for a moment, then folded them back «He's not an idiot. He's fine. He wouldn't have fought them all alone like that.»
«What about BlackSuit?»
Shadowplay shook the head «He wasn't in the lair when it happened. Thankfully, I suppose.» He really didn't need that demon to come play. This Thana wasn't the kind of dragon to play with.

She then made a sign with the head for the two Nocturne to start moving.
Void turned towards the elder Tundra behind them
«Why is your leader...» she looked back, far behind
Avion pulled his eyewears low over his eyes «She stays back so she can take the speed and launch forward in case of frontal attack.»

Nightsong nodded slowly, thren whispered «Hm.. you're all Tundra-?»
«Ah, well... Lost was a Mirror before.»
«We noticed.» Pretty aggressive, sliding on the ground... some behavior remained even after a breed changed. «Well» Avion added «We smelled something wasn't right... and managed to find a way out before Mimics came out of nowhere, Shadowplay wanted to stay and fight but... but those hatchlings. She's got a strong motherly instinct. They tricked her.»

The blue Nocturne immediately stilled when The Illusionist, Lost's familiar slithered over to them «If you want to come in, now or never.»
«Shadowplay…» Avion turned to look at her, who quickly moved forwards «Illusionist...» she huffed «Where's Lost?»
«Inside, Ma'am. With the prisoners. They're left alone, the mimics ignored them completely. It's the only safe place.»

«Prisoners?!» Voidsong quickly received a smirched wing over the face to be shushed «We explain later.»
«No wait a moment-- » his sister turned towards the Elder.
«Do you miss Shadowsong?» the Mirror hissed at her
«Of course!»
«Then dive!» she wrapped her mouth loosely around Voidsong's tail and ran forward, pushing herself up and glided forward towards the Lair, holding the Nocturne with herself. Avion didn't need to hold Nightsong, the dragon took off and followed them by herself.

To get inside as swiftly as possible, they passed through bramble and pine trees, poor Avion having more trouble with all his fur stuck into the thorns. They swiftly slid down the first tunnel and fell into the hole, in the Prisoner's den.

Not the softest landing despite the huge Imperial opening his wings to catch the four dragons. That fell in.
«Leader...?» he looked down at the Mirror who swiftly stood up. «Shh. Shh.» she rubbed her muzzle of her his cheek «Lie down, everything will be alright...»

«Ah so these are prisoners-?» Voidsong whispered. She seemed much more loving and caring than she was with them before.
«Later. If we have time.» Avion repeated.
Lost was waiting in a corner «well, what do we do leader?»
Shadowplay pulled the two Nocturne close to herself. The den was dark and the only light coming from the purple glow of her eyes and the colony of blue marshwisp mushrooms growing on the hunter's dark cloak.

«Tell me... where is she?» She whispered «Thana. Where is she?!»
Nightsong focused, then turned the head in a direction, pointing the wall «That way...»
«Yes» her brother confirmed «Shadowsong.. is there, prisoner.»
«Shadowplay, Shadowplay...! easy, calm calm...» The Gloomwillow guide held her crest «There's where all the eggs are! Where my little ones stay. It's my den!»
the little creature moved in front of her «Yes... but stay calm. We need a trick. We need... to proceed calmly. »

«Right...» she looked at Avion. «Hm. We can't afford to attack Mimics to get their powder and roll inside it» the elder nodded slowly and smiled at her «My laboratory is full of that powder, for my experiments.»
«Well. Lost.» she called «Slither on the other side, wait for Brew and Acids to return. Tell her to get filled with powder from his laboratory...»
Avion smiled «And three vials of green sludge- ah no wait... we're in five. Five.»
The younger Tundra rolled his eyes «And if she doesn't find it? Green is rare.»
«That's totally incorrect.» the scientist shook his head.
«It's common just when you don't need it.»
«then tell them to take yellow... there's always yellow»
«And if it's finished too?»
This time Avion replied with a smile «Trust me... yellow is the only sludge you won't ever lack.»

«So you're a scientist-?» Voidsong asked, claws scratching nervously the soil. «And the other...?»
«Acids is a healer» Shadowplay explained «An experimental healer. He uses new potions and mechanical science to... repair us. Unconventional healer, yes. But until now he gifted a pair of working eyes to a dragon that got blinded and a pair of wings to another who was born with backwards bones.» She grinned «And he uses his failed anesthetic potions as weapons. Gives the unfortunate enemies a travel to the hallucination world.»

Soon enough, a strong, disgusting smell aporached the hole they've been hiding inside. Acids and Lost, followed by a Curious Kettle full of green powder made their way inside. The two Nocturned hissed «A mimic--?!»
«Brew» Acids corrected «She's a friend of mine, colleague!» he giggled, looking at the elder and dropping the vials in his mouth... and a little Cheerful Residue jumped off his back to go snuggle against the scientist's leg.
«Your turn now.» the healer purred.

Nightsong and Voidsong stepped away «You befriend a mimic-- and what are you going to do here?»
Avion stopped near the familiar, making sure to have his eyewear on, pulled his gloves further up his arms and got to work «Thank you, Brew, darling. I promise I'll be gentle.»
and he got to work, mixing the mimic powder in the kettle, slowly adding the sludge, one by one all five the vials.

The blue Nocturne looked inside the... mimic-kettle. «What are we doing?»
«He's preparing a bath.» Acids giggled.
«I'm serious» she turned towards him frowning.
«And so he is.» Shadowplay smirked, circling around her.

«Well… the bath is ready,» The elder nodded, stepping away from the happy familiar.
Both Nocturne panicked «You're all mimics?! You-- AAAH!»
The kettle grabbed the blue dragon's legs and dumped her down inside the green bubbling liquid, making her sink in it
«Night! No!!» The brother jumped forward, trying to attack the mimic, resulting with having Acids reaching over to grab onto his wings and throwing him inside as well.

«Very funny.
«Yeah. Really.»
The siblings grumbled, as they emerged from the smelly green substance they… bathed inside.
The huge white Imperial shook his head «Shadow Dragons...» A white Pearlcatcher near him shrugged «Tricksters...»
Shadowplay hissed at the two... prisoners «You Light dragons wouldn't know what to do in these cases, too honest to play a part?»
She shook the head and pulled the two Nocturne out, going to bathe inside the giggling kettle. Lost came next and then even Avion.

The young hunter snarled in disgust «Now we're disgusting!»
«Now the mimics will believe we're mimics too.» Avion corrected, smiling as the little Residue climbed up his shoulder and then sliding to hide in a pocket of his coat.

«Avion, Lost... you go search all our dragons » she nuzzled Avion's muzzle «You know their smell. Call them... and make them leave the den. Your cheerful Residue will prove they can trust you. Make them all leave, all as soon as possible»
«But...!»
«Lost... I'll make that Thana leave the den... I can't fight with all those eggs around»
«How?» Nightsong whispered «If she's there for that reason, she won’t leave.»

«Acids... Brew» Shadowplay called «You two will prepare something special for our unwanted guest. One of your failed anesthetics, the eggs won't smell anything, but she'll be forced to leave.»
The three slowly left the hole to get to work.
«Now you two. We need her to expose Shadowsong. Get in first, in my den-»
«What? Like this?» Voidsong tilted his helm «No ambush?»
«Yes, just like this. Walk inside and as soon as you see me lying flat on the ground, you do the same and hold your breath.»
The two looked at each other «What about Shadowsong? » Voidsong asked

«I'll take your Mentor, I'll keep her low on the ground with me.»

The three made their way towards the leader's den.
Shadowplay threw them inside, then swiftly started to climb up the wall, claws sinking in the ceiling.

And there was something she didn't expect. But she couldn't talk. No... they had to be patient. She couldn't jump down now.

«Shadowsong!» The two shouted, quickly moving closer to the bigger nocturne, She was laying against a wall, panting and gasping for air, she looked weak. Trapped in a web of murk. Vines of darkness keeping her strapped on floor. The whole den was filled with these webs. It was like the den of a spider...
Voidsong started running towards her, followed by his sister «We're here! It's us!»
«No, no stay away!»
A voice came... but not from the Nocturne in front of them. From behind.

«W-what?» The blue dragon stopped and turned around. There was Shadowsong... in a web, wrapped in a cocoon of darkness that trapped her wings.
«But how?!» They suddenly found out their legs wouldn't move. Stuck. They were stuck in a shadow-web too.
With horror they looked at the bait. The... The one they believed to be Shadowsong, now melting into a black pool, then raising... in the form of a Nocturne, drooping liquid shadows and black goo. Her mouth opened, revealing a bright green inside, smelling just like that disgusting mimic powder. No eyes visible under all that black grime sliding over the face.
«My little ones... did you come for me? »
She then started laughing, coils of darkness wrapping against their legs and wings, dragging them down on the floor.
«No, no.. let them go!» The trapped Nocturne hissed from her prison.
«Why don't you stat singing? Now we're all together in this pretty den...»

«Shadowsong!» They yelled in panic, looking up at the ceiling, spotting the Mirror.
"Ah damn it." She thought. "Don't look up here!" But too late. She noticed That monstrosity tilting the head upwards. Ambush it is then!

She dived down, claws sinking into goo and slime and scratching down the back, as deep as she could... meeting nothing. She seemed to be made out of this grime!
Thana opened her wings wide, splattering the walls with stains of this dark material she was made of. And gasped, blowing out a green smoke, making Shadowplay gag and jump away.

Will backed away and stood by her side.
«Ugh! You talked about singing?» the Mirror growled at her «No please, keep your mouth shut.» She jumped forward, expecting a counterattack.. two vines emerging from the ground and trying to block her. The wings opened wide to suddenly stop, moving backwards and sink her teeth in the tentacles that tried to catch her too. She tore them in pieces, spitting out the muck left in her mouth.
«Oh, yours doesn’t seem much better than mine»

The clan leader looked at her Guide, eyeing at the eggs and the young Nocturne siblings. He had to go push them away, make sure they wouldn’t break.?Not that she intended to fight. She couldn’t. Only… making this beast waste time for her clan mates to leave. Acids’ failed chemicals wouldn’t have done them any good.

Her crest relaxed as if she wasn’t facing one dangerous beast that occupied her den, making it the best battlefield for herself. She carefully stepped over the traps she left, trotting around. Her mouth filled with good opened wide, long strings attached to her teeth snapping and breaking in black drops?.

«You don’t like it?» she purred, sliding around her, purposely stepping above the webs on the ground, making her legs pass between the holes, showing how much she cared about the traps, teasing her.
«I was hoping you’d be attracted by it, seeing how you decorated our den.» she whipped the tail around, moving sinuously underneath a string of shade.

The two Nocturne looked at each other. What was she doing? Flirting??
A faint blue light appeared under their belly. Will, the Gloomwillow guide arrived to tear away the vines that trapped them on the ground.?
«You’re going down a dangerous path»

Oh she as getting nervous, wasn’t she? Her attacks became more irregular and Shadowplay moved around like she knew this battlefield way better than the dragon occupying it. Well of course… it was her den. Not Thana’s. Who stood up and started to move forward, towards that Mirror that seemed not to have understood the situation she just put herself into.
«This den is mine. And I am this den.»

She hissed, stains and webs bubbling, shivering. Like… like they were made of her, part of her body. Smelling of mimic powder, filled with their magic.?What kind of abomination…
«I don’t think so. I say my smell is still there underneath your disgusting breath.» Shadowplay whipped her long tail around cutting in half another vine that tried to sneak behind her back «You like it, don’t you?»

Will cut the restraints free, and the Mirror dived far from them, keeping Thana’s attention on herself.?
«We must go» he whispered in their ear.?
«Bu—»
«Shh. Shadowsong is in safe hands, soon here it’ll be a trap of poisonous chemicals…»

«Admit it, you find me absolutely irresistible-» Shadowplay kept mocking the dark Nocturne, not once attempting to attack, after the first ambush.

«There’s no space for you and your ego in this tiny hole.»

The attacks became faster, too fast for the Mirror that had just enough to jump above Shadowsong before feeling her legs and her wings getting trapped in tentacles of darkness.
«Ch- Ah… So, you like to play rough?»
She felt a coil squeezing her neck so much, she was sure it would have soon snapped.

The big Nocturne opened her wings and stopped in front of her, her disgusting breath coming out in a green smoke.
«Too confident, little firefly… you got caught. While it could have been easier for you, if you didn’t bother the spider.»
Firefly. Tsk. «I say you’re quite interested in me…» she snickered, seeing the two Nocturne leaving the trap and their mentor near her letting out a sigh of relief.
Thana turned around to look at them, just in time to see a blue and black tail slithering out of the den.?The grasp around the two trapped dragons became tighter.

«Hey-» The Mirror’s voice a light whisper
«I say it for you… I-If you become my mate, my clan won’t slaughter you when you’ll fly outside»

She turned around, smirking too now
«Leave?»
The Nocturne moved closer, like a spider that descends on a poor trapped fly.
«For them?»
There was a laugher
«Was that your plan? I don’t care about those younglings. I won’t fly after them… and even if I wanted them, I’d send my mimics.»
But the grin faded like a shadow when the sun sets. The Mirror relaxed again.
«Nah… I know you don’t want them. You think I’m an idiot, Sunshine?» her crest raised up again

«But as flattered as I am to have you staying for ma, you’d better fly out to take some fresh air.»

In an instant, there was a disgusting smell, filling the den, the tunnels blowing the chemicals through the whole lair in a moment. It was burning in the lungs and in the nose.

Shadowplay felt the restrains shivering and bubbling, breaking like rotten vines.
And she fell down, face hitting the ground, forcing herself not to gasp for air, when the neck was finally released.
The chemicals already making her den look long… the way out, so far away.

«Shadowsong…!» she coughed, seeing the Nocturne laying immobile on the door. She was panting… and no, that wouldn’t do!
She moved closer, biting onto her neck gently and enveloping the wings over her head.
Thana Left. She heard that dragon making her way out, probably ruing alf of her lair, the beast.?

«My little ones…!»
The Mirror heard her whispering «They’re out- they…»
No, no. no time to waste the air like this.She pulled the Nocturne over her shoulder and closed the eyes, feeling the den around herself with her paws only, and ignoring the hallucinations, started to run to get out, knowing by heart these tunnels.

«Leader!» Avion shouted, from outside the den. He could see only mimics falling fainted all around.
«Shadowsong!» The two Nocturne called, all three standing so close to the Lair… the toxic gasses hissing out like a backwards river, flowing up towards the sky.

Lost and his Illusionist smelling over and over again all the dragons they pulled out, checking again to make sure that yes.. they didn’t mistake anyone for a mimic and left alone some poor dragon.
And Acids was there with Brew, healing those that got attacked by the mimics.
There was a movement in the darkness, Avion opening his wings and getting ready to fight, and so did all the others, despite the wounds they all stood up and stared inside too. Knowing this Thana would have came out first… now all her mimics were dealt with, she was alone.

Nightsong smiled, moving forward when she saw who was coming out. Shadowsong and Shadowplay, the Mirror dragging their mentor over the back.
«She’s safe, they’re both safe…!»

«Leader!» Lost turned around, running to stay by the Elder’s side… until suddenly, Avion’s wings opened wide and flapped, pushing himself back and grabbing both the Nocturne, shielding them under his belly
«Behind you!» he yelled, a coil of moving black tentacles dashing behind them.
Shadowplay opened her wings dodging the vines, hitting against the chests the mimics that Acid and Lost took care of left behind.
The younger Tundra pulled his illusionist up in his cloak and dashed forward and to pit the chemicals. Avion held the young ones still and protected.

Lost had just enough time to yell «Watch out!» and stare in horror when one of the chests opened by itself, baring its mouth and jumping at the Nocturne their leader dropped.
And then, seeing how Shadowplay dived in front of her. He head disappearing inside the Ectoplasmime.

Shadowsong looked at the Mirror being swallowed whole in front of her.?For an instant everything went still. No… Shadowplay’s clan couldn’t accept what just happened. How could it… how?!
Nightsong and Voidsong were the first to snap out of their trance when Thana returned, pulling their mentor up against herself, grime sliding down her head.
«Now my darlings, it’s been fun…»

«No, No! She’s taking her away!»
The blue Nocturne tried to jump forward, but Avion held her and her brother still. There… there was no way these two would have made it.
«But I grew tired of playing games with you»

«Oh really?»
There was a voice, coming from behind Thana. Sweet, seducing and… relaxed. Coming from a dragon that seemed to have had a long restaurateur rest.
«Shadowplay??» this wasn’t her smell. Avion shook his head. And Lost and Aicids stared too.

«Now that I’ve finally gotten into it?»
A dark figure, flew up ascending and then diving down on the black Nocturne, long wings cutting through her thick layer of murk, crimson scales finally coming to view, the dark mimic magic coming apart.
She elegantly landed in front of the rescued dragons. A third Nocturne, holding Shadowsong from her neck, with jaws gently wrapped around it. Glowing purple eyes and fireflies following her like a blue trail.
She couldn’t possibly be Shadowplay. She was a Mirror and this one a Nocturne…!

«Seems like the mimic-master got betrayed.»
The Ectoplasmime that ate Shadowplay was the next to attack Thana, chewing onto a wing and exposing another part, landing near the new Nocturne.
«Well what is it? Those gasses should have left you breathless not speechless, Sunshine.»
The dark dragon purred, winking.

The black dragon opened her wings, goo and sludge splattering all around. Followed by a roar so loud, the stains bubbled and shivered, then the roar turned into a laugher, maniacal and furious.
«Not bad, young one! Acting so weak and stupid… But you will have no way to surprise me anymore when I’ll return.»

She melted down, like snow under a flame. A pool of shadows that passed through the soil, leaving only the voice.
«One year is short. Time slips through the claws when there’s a deadline.»

Shadowplay looked down at the Nocturne she released, both looking at each other…?«Isn’t that bad news?» She murmured, turning the head away
«I expected her to say this…» Shadowsong replied?
«Huh? What? No, I mean… our names were already similar. Now we’re both Nocturne.»

Shadosong soon felt Nightsong and Voidsong jumping against her.
«You’re back, you’re safe…!»
The mentor looked at her… rescuer again, just when all her clan mates jumped at her, licking her, nuzzling her.

«Shadowplay, you scared us to death! That mimic—»
«How did you know?! How..?!»
Shadowplay shrugged «I didn’t-» she looked at the Ectoplasmime, jumping around her. «I can only imagine … he had enough of Thana’s mess. He was being ordered around like a toy.» as for the gene scroll, he probably had no clue what was left stuck over his tongue. A coincidence probably.

Lost and Avion snuggled her, getting used to her new smell.
Acids instead just stepped over to the three Nocturne, starting to heal the oldest.
«See what you can do to help her a bit, mad-healer» Voidsong joked.
«Mad healer? What?» Normal reaction, really.
Nightsong nuzzled Shadowsong’s neck.
And then the kettle walked closer—
Ah, way too many mimics acting weirdly this night. This clan, this leader. That Mirror… Nocturne now.
«I say,» Shadowsong huffed, pulling her apprentices under her wings once they were read to leave again

«Shadowplay…»
The other turned towards her, surrounded by her dear clan mates too.
«Name and breed aren’t the only things we’ve got in common.»
«I hope you mean our loving clan mates» was the answer «Because I’ve a terrible personality.»

«Hm, I like it.»
«Now now, dear» The clean leader smirked «Don’t copy my behavior. Doesn’t suit you that much»
She rubbed her helm against Shadowsong’s shoulder. «While focus to keep them safe instead.»
«After what you’ve done, all you went through to save us, It’d be extremely disrespectful»

The three raised up, opening her wings and disappearing in the sky. The long night seemed to be finally coming to an end.
So…the night ended. And Shadowplay looked down at herself. She was… like reborn.
A Nocturne.
Hm… Will floated near her, landing on a shoulder. Mimics… tricksters. She felt like she understood something new, something more about illusions.
Oh well, better starting to get ready to this new body… if Thana was turning back, they’d better get ready.

Avion
The Elder

34577448_350.png
(And Joy)
10884.png

Acids
The Healer

44271201_350.png
(and Brew)
25164.png

Lost
The hunter

54199078_350.png
(and The Illusionist)
16493.png

Shadowplay
The leader

53567453_350.png
... (and the strange mimic)
7698.png
[center][url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=54236240][img]https://i.imgur.com/55lhaFq.png[/img][/url] [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49235639][img]https://i.imgur.com/wbkWVEc.png[/img][/url] [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=47887153][img]https://i.imgur.com/Ym0CFXs.png[/img][/url] [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=46560212][img]https://i.imgur.com/r5MgfCx.png[/img][/center][/url] [i]"As soon as we’re healed, we have to go. If we don’t rescue Shadowsong before this long night ends, she’ll be Thana’s forever."[/i] [indent][url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=47887153]Frachur[/url] looked away from the blue Nocturne that [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=54236240]Enegi[/url] was gently healing,[/indent] and to the new voice. The other young Nocturne was being ushered towards the group by [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=46560212]Loa[/url], his massive size dwarfing the small dragon in comparison. Beside Frachur sat a trembling purple Coatl named [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49235639]Carnation[/url], his expression that of shock and fear. The attack on the lair has seemed so sudden and unexpected, and though Frachur wasn't sure exactly what had attacked the lair, he had a vague idea based on what was discussed in the Royal Court prior to this night. [indent]"Will you be alright, Carnation? You look a little pale," Enegi asked in a[/indent] soft, concerned voice, glancing up from her healing of the female. The Coatl wilted a little. [indent]"I was... I was so sure they were [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49429101]Rosaline[/url] and [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=56253982]Primrose[/url]... but they must still[/indent] be..." he whimpered, trailing off. The Coatl's distress reminded Frachur that his own family hadn't made it out. [i][url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=47887154]Melacholia[/url]! She must still be trapped in there... what if she's in danger? What about [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48921149]Bliss[/url] and [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=47264658]Mother[/url]? Oh, Lightweaver keep them safe![/i] He didn't have time to fret over these thoughts for very long, as the male Nocturne cut in. [indent]"We must hurry," he insisted. "Patience, friend, I'm almost done," Enegi replied, before turning her focus[/indent] back to the injured Nocturne. [indent]"While we wait, why don't you give us a brief explanation as to who you are[/indent] and what's going on," Loa added. The dark Nocturne hesitated for a moment, before he began to fill them in. He was Voidsong, and the blue Nocturne was his sister Nightsong. Both of them were known as singers, Nocturnes born with immunity to the effects of mimic magic, and were able to sense when such magic was nearby. The Lucidlight clan had been attacked by creatures known as mimics, and the dragon who had been taken was Shadowsong, the siblings' mentor. [indent]"It's likely that they've hidden her somewhere in your lair," Voidsong[/indent] explained. "We'll have to search inside. With any luck, we'll be able to find her in time and dispel the mimics-" [indent]"Hold on, what about our own clanmates?" Loa cut in. "The king and queen[/indent] could be in grave danger, not to mention our loved ones." [indent]"Yeah, didn't you mention singers are immune to the effects of mimic magic?[/indent] Wouldn't our clanmates be in more danger than Shadowsong?" Frachur demanded. Voidsong gave him a hard look in return. [indent]"Without Shadowsong's assistance, your entire clan may be doomed. We must[/indent] rescue her from Thana's clutches if your clan is to have a [i]chance[/i] of surviving this night!" He snapped. Frachur opened his mouth to say something, but was interrupted by Enegi. [indent]"You're all good, Nightsong," she said, having finished her healing. "This might[/indent] not be my main job, but I'm glad [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=46574394]Orion[/url] taught me a thing or two. Let me check your wounds, Voidsong, and then we can head in." Enegi began to heal the minor wounds Voidsong had sustained and the group made their plans of action for when they'd reenter the lair. The group would split into two, each accompanied by one of the singers so they could detect nearby mimics. Frachur, Enegi, and Voidsong would cover the Royal Wing while Loa, Carnation and Nightsong would search the Residential Wings. Frachur was determined to find this Shadowsong if it was his only means of saving Melacholia. [i]Hang in there, sister. Help is on the way.[/i] [indent]"Do you see that? What is that?" Frachur turned to see Enegi pointing towards[/indent] a faint golden glow coming from one of the doorways in the corridor. Voidsong began to approach the door cautiously. [indent]"I'm not sensing any mimic magic, but stay on guard. Let's check it out." The[/indent] trio carefully made their way over to the doorway and peeked through. The room happened to be the Royal Armory, although Frachur could hardly call it an Armory with how little armor and few weapons the clan's elite Warriors, [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=46640100]Holly[/url] and [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=46623548]Comet[/url], kept. There, standing in the middle of the room with one arm outstretched above her, was a golden Skydancer, who was none other than the clan's Royal Enlightener, [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=52459766]Renzati[/url]. She clutched her Light Tome tightly in her talons, and a strange veil of magic seemed to be streaming out of her outstretched palm, creating a large, semi-transparent dome that stretched far enough to almost touch the walls of the room. Coiled around her waist and tightly clutching a wooden blue staff was a very frightened yellow and blue Spiral, Prince [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=57456335]Rangt[/url]. As soon as the skydancer spotted Frachur and Enegi, relief spread across her face, and she beckoned for them to come inside the veil. Frachur was equally relieved to see her and the Prince were unharmed. The two members of the Royal Court walked through the strange veil, with Voidsong in tow. [indent]"Oh, thank Sornieth!" Renzati exclaimed. "I thought Rangt and I were the only[/indent] ones left! I assume the Nocturne is here to help as well?" Voidsong confirmed by nodding to the Skydancer. [indent]"How did you escape the mimics, Enlightener?" Enegi asked. "Well, it turns out this old tome has a few useful spells for this kind of[/indent] situation." She glanced down at the Light Tome in her talons. "This veil should keep us safe from enemies." Normally this information would have reassured Frachur, but oddly, something at the corner of his mind didn't sit right with this information. He dismissed the feeling and refocused. [indent]"We can rendezvous here once we find Shadowsong then," Frachur suggested. "That sounds like a good idea, we can escort any surviving clan members here[/indent] too," Voidsong added. "For now, let's get back to the search. Where haven't we looked?" [indent]"We can check the Ambassador Wing-" Frachur could make out Enegi cursing[/indent] under her breath. "If only the Ambassadors were [i]actually[/i] present right now. They're powerful individuals who'd be [i]really useful right now.[/i]" she scowled. It troubled Frachur too. Now was a time when they needed the Ambassadors and Elite Warriors more than ever, but all of them were away from various reasons Renzati had explained. [indent]"Well let's not waste any time pondering what could have been. Show me the[/indent] way to the Wing," Voidsong replied. Renzati and Rangt bid the trio good luck and they left for the Ambassador Wing, rushing down the corridors so as not to waste any precious time. Since the rooms were so close to each other and all their doorways were in the same hall, the trio split up to thoroughly check each room. The first three rooms seemed devoid of anything useful, but as soon as Voidsong went to check the next room, he froze. [indent]"I can sense something..." he said slowly, walking forward slightly. "Mimic[/indent] magic... and it gets stronger rapidly the further down the hallway I go." The three of them all gazed down to the room at the very end of the hallway, which was the Nature Ambassador's room. [indent]"Could... Shadowsong be down there?" Enegi wondered out loud. "We should find out," Voidsong replied. The group nodded and began to[/indent] advance towards the room, but a sudden, chilling laughter echoed down the hallway, startling Frachur and Enegi. Voidsong narrowed his eyes. [indent]"You two... stay back for a moment. Let me check things out first." The Mirror[/indent] and Tundra stayed put as the dark Nocturne began to slowly creep down the hallway, drawing closer and closer to the door. [i]That's a little strange,[/i] Frachur thought [i]If there's possible danger, shouldn't we stay close rather than get separated like this...?[/i] As if Voidsong heard his thoughts, the Nocturne stopped abruptly, then whirled around and came charging back towards the pair. [indent]"Watch out!" he roared a moment too late. The Mirror suddenly felt his reality[/indent] warp, and it suddenly felt like he was floating in the abyss. His vision went fuzzy, and colors began to blur before his eyes. He then found himself falling onto hard ground again, and he became vaguely aware of Enegi landing hard on his right wing. Dazed, Frachur attempted to get up, only to find he was held down by two powerful hands. Sharp claws pressed gently into his back, enough to warn him against thrashing. The Mirror attempted to see Enegi, and he caught a glimpse of her lying in a similar state he was in. As his vision came more into focus, Frachur could see more of his surroundings. It was clear that they were no longer in the Ambassador Wing, and Voidsong was nowhere in sight. The room was dark, but the area in front of him was lit up by his own shining eyes. Before him stood two gold and silver feet, which appeared to be those of a Skydancer's. [indent][i]No... it couldn't be...[/i] "Hello my dears." The sinister voice sounded familiar to Frachur's ears. Sure[/indent] enough, before him stood Renzati, and next to her, a triumphant-looking Rangt. There was a gleam of malice in the Skydancer's eyes, and a wide smile was spread across her face. Suspended above the palm of her right hand was Enegi's Celestial Attendant, seeming to be incapacitated by some kind of spell. [indent]"So... did you find your precious singer?" she mocked. Frachur growled,[/indent] twisting his neck around to view what was holding him and Enegi down. The talons pinning them belonged to two strange creatures. They appeared to resemble a Guardian and a Ridgeback, but the Guardian looked like some kind of smoldering fire elemental, and the Ridgeback appeared to be a Plague behemoth sort of creature. What was stranger, their faces were covered by onyx-black masks that obscured their eyes; masks that rang a bell with Frachur. [indent]"What's going on?!" The Mirror demanded. "A passing of power, dear. The clan is being sorted into new customs," Renzati[/indent] replied in a matter-of-fact tone. Frachur snarled. [indent]"How could you side with those [i]things?[/i]" "Who, the mimics?" Renzati clutched her chest, as if offended. "They're quite[/indent] a useful tool for overthrowing a monarchy, I must say, but you are incorrect in assuming. I have no desire to keep them around after tonight." Pieces of the puzzle began to click in Frachur's mind. Renzati had planned this takeover. The sudden absence of the Warriors and Ambassadors had been no accident. Renzati must have done something to them, leaving the clan defenseless, and open to attack on this very night. Even their attempt at rescuing Shadowsong had been a trap, which must have been why they were met with no resistance when they searched the lair. Renzati hadn't wanted to discourage them, instead luring them in and waiting for the perfect moment to strike. [indent]"I can tell by your expression you must have figured something out by now.[/indent] Unfortunately, I can't let anyone so connected to a deity do as they please with this information, so I'm going to make sure you stay out of my way." Renzati took the wooden blue staff from Rangt, and took out a strange, inky black tome, which levitated before her. [indent][i]That doesn't look good... where'd she even get that?[/i] Frachur felt more[/indent] frightened than puzzled, but he couldn't help but feel like that tome contained the magic of something deadly. [indent]"Why are you doing this?" Enegi cried out. "Why matters little," the skydancer replied casually, flipping through the pages[/indent] of the tome. She stopped on one page and skimmed it, before nodding. Frachur's heartbeat quickened as she raised the staff. He had no idea where Loa or Carnation had gone to, or if Voidsong and Nightsong had rescued Shadowsong. He prayed that none of them met the same fate as he was about to. A black bolt of magic surged from the staff and struck Frachur. He felt the weight on his back suddenly release, and he instinctively scrambled towards the mad Enlightener. He reached out to strike her with his talons, only to find they suddenly looked transparent. The weight was gone, in fact, he felt himself grow a lot lighter than normal. So light that he was floating. The Mirror opened his mouth to scream, but nothing except silent, hot air came out. As his vision began to fade, he tried to flail about, but it merely sounded like a breeze being fanned. The last thing he remembered was trying to reach towards Enegi, before the last twinkle of light vanished into pitch black darkness.
55lhaFq.png wbkWVEc.png Ym0CFXs.png r5MgfCx.png

"As soon as we’re healed, we have to go. If we don’t rescue Shadowsong before this long night ends, she’ll be Thana’s forever."

Frachur looked away from the blue Nocturne that Enegi was gently healing,
and to the new voice. The other young Nocturne was being ushered towards the group by Loa, his massive size dwarfing the small dragon in comparison. Beside Frachur sat a trembling purple Coatl named Carnation, his expression that of shock and fear. The attack on the lair has seemed so sudden and unexpected, and though Frachur wasn't sure exactly what had attacked the lair, he had a vague idea based on what was discussed in the Royal Court prior to this night.
"Will you be alright, Carnation? You look a little pale," Enegi asked in a
soft, concerned voice, glancing up from her healing of the female. The Coatl wilted a little.
"I was... I was so sure they were Rosaline and Primrose... but they must still
be..." he whimpered, trailing off. The Coatl's distress reminded Frachur that his own family hadn't made it out. Melacholia! She must still be trapped in there... what if she's in danger? What about Bliss and Mother? Oh, Lightweaver keep them safe! He didn't have time to fret over these thoughts for very long, as the male Nocturne cut in.
"We must hurry," he insisted.
"Patience, friend, I'm almost done," Enegi replied, before turning her focus
back to the injured Nocturne.
"While we wait, why don't you give us a brief explanation as to who you are
and what's going on," Loa added. The dark Nocturne hesitated for a moment, before he began to fill them in. He was Voidsong, and the blue Nocturne was his sister Nightsong. Both of them were known as singers, Nocturnes born with immunity to the effects of mimic magic, and were able to sense when such magic was nearby. The Lucidlight clan had been attacked by creatures known as mimics, and the dragon who had been taken was Shadowsong, the siblings' mentor.
"It's likely that they've hidden her somewhere in your lair," Voidsong
explained. "We'll have to search inside. With any luck, we'll be able to find her in time and dispel the mimics-"
"Hold on, what about our own clanmates?" Loa cut in. "The king and queen
could be in grave danger, not to mention our loved ones."
"Yeah, didn't you mention singers are immune to the effects of mimic magic?
Wouldn't our clanmates be in more danger than Shadowsong?" Frachur demanded. Voidsong gave him a hard look in return.
"Without Shadowsong's assistance, your entire clan may be doomed. We must
rescue her from Thana's clutches if your clan is to have a chance of surviving this night!" He snapped. Frachur opened his mouth to say something, but was interrupted by Enegi.
"You're all good, Nightsong," she said, having finished her healing. "This might
not be my main job, but I'm glad Orion taught me a thing or two. Let me check your wounds, Voidsong, and then we can head in." Enegi began to heal the minor wounds Voidsong had sustained and the group made their plans of action for when they'd reenter the lair. The group would split into two, each accompanied by one of the singers so they could detect nearby mimics. Frachur, Enegi, and Voidsong would cover the Royal Wing while Loa, Carnation and Nightsong would search the Residential Wings. Frachur was determined to find this Shadowsong if it was his only means of saving Melacholia. Hang in there, sister. Help is on the way.

"Do you see that? What is that?" Frachur turned to see Enegi pointing towards
a faint golden glow coming from one of the doorways in the corridor. Voidsong began to approach the door cautiously.
"I'm not sensing any mimic magic, but stay on guard. Let's check it out." The
trio carefully made their way over to the doorway and peeked through. The room happened to be the Royal Armory, although Frachur could hardly call it an Armory with how little armor and few weapons the clan's elite Warriors, Holly and Comet, kept. There, standing in the middle of the room with one arm outstretched above her, was a golden Skydancer, who was none other than the clan's Royal Enlightener, Renzati. She clutched her Light Tome tightly in her talons, and a strange veil of magic seemed to be streaming out of her outstretched palm, creating a large, semi-transparent dome that stretched far enough to almost touch the walls of the room. Coiled around her waist and tightly clutching a wooden blue staff was a very frightened yellow and blue Spiral, Prince Rangt. As soon as the skydancer spotted Frachur and Enegi, relief spread across her face, and she beckoned for them to come inside the veil. Frachur was equally relieved to see her and the Prince were unharmed. The two members of the Royal Court walked through the strange veil, with Voidsong in tow.
"Oh, thank Sornieth!" Renzati exclaimed. "I thought Rangt and I were the only
ones left! I assume the Nocturne is here to help as well?" Voidsong confirmed by nodding to the Skydancer.
"How did you escape the mimics, Enlightener?" Enegi asked.
"Well, it turns out this old tome has a few useful spells for this kind of
situation." She glanced down at the Light Tome in her talons. "This veil should keep us safe from enemies." Normally this information would have reassured Frachur, but oddly, something at the corner of his mind didn't sit right with this information. He dismissed the feeling and refocused.
"We can rendezvous here once we find Shadowsong then," Frachur suggested.
"That sounds like a good idea, we can escort any surviving clan members here
too," Voidsong added. "For now, let's get back to the search. Where haven't we looked?"
"We can check the Ambassador Wing-" Frachur could make out Enegi cursing
under her breath. "If only the Ambassadors were actually present right now. They're powerful individuals who'd be really useful right now." she scowled. It troubled Frachur too. Now was a time when they needed the Ambassadors and Elite Warriors more than ever, but all of them were away from various reasons Renzati had explained.
"Well let's not waste any time pondering what could have been. Show me the
way to the Wing," Voidsong replied. Renzati and Rangt bid the trio good luck and they left for the Ambassador Wing, rushing down the corridors so as not to waste any precious time. Since the rooms were so close to each other and all their doorways were in the same hall, the trio split up to thoroughly check each room. The first three rooms seemed devoid of anything useful, but as soon as Voidsong went to check the next room, he froze.
"I can sense something..." he said slowly, walking forward slightly. "Mimic
magic... and it gets stronger rapidly the further down the hallway I go." The three of them all gazed down to the room at the very end of the hallway, which was the Nature Ambassador's room.
"Could... Shadowsong be down there?" Enegi wondered out loud.
"We should find out," Voidsong replied. The group nodded and began to
advance towards the room, but a sudden, chilling laughter echoed down the hallway, startling Frachur and Enegi. Voidsong narrowed his eyes.
"You two... stay back for a moment. Let me check things out first." The Mirror
and Tundra stayed put as the dark Nocturne began to slowly creep down the hallway, drawing closer and closer to the door. That's a little strange, Frachur thought If there's possible danger, shouldn't we stay close rather than get separated like this...? As if Voidsong heard his thoughts, the Nocturne stopped abruptly, then whirled around and came charging back towards the pair.
"Watch out!" he roared a moment too late. The Mirror suddenly felt his reality
warp, and it suddenly felt like he was floating in the abyss. His vision went fuzzy, and colors began to blur before his eyes. He then found himself falling onto hard ground again, and he became vaguely aware of Enegi landing hard on his right wing. Dazed, Frachur attempted to get up, only to find he was held down by two powerful hands. Sharp claws pressed gently into his back, enough to warn him against thrashing. The Mirror attempted to see Enegi, and he caught a glimpse of her lying in a similar state he was in. As his vision came more into focus, Frachur could see more of his surroundings. It was clear that they were no longer in the Ambassador Wing, and Voidsong was nowhere in sight. The room was dark, but the area in front of him was lit up by his own shining eyes. Before him stood two gold and silver feet, which appeared to be those of a Skydancer's.
No... it couldn't be...
"Hello my dears." The sinister voice sounded familiar to Frachur's ears. Sure
enough, before him stood Renzati, and next to her, a triumphant-looking Rangt. There was a gleam of malice in the Skydancer's eyes, and a wide smile was spread across her face. Suspended above the palm of her right hand was Enegi's Celestial Attendant, seeming to be incapacitated by some kind of spell.
"So... did you find your precious singer?" she mocked. Frachur growled,
twisting his neck around to view what was holding him and Enegi down. The talons pinning them belonged to two strange creatures. They appeared to resemble a Guardian and a Ridgeback, but the Guardian looked like some kind of smoldering fire elemental, and the Ridgeback appeared to be a Plague behemoth sort of creature. What was stranger, their faces were covered by onyx-black masks that obscured their eyes; masks that rang a bell with Frachur.
"What's going on?!" The Mirror demanded.
"A passing of power, dear. The clan is being sorted into new customs," Renzati
replied in a matter-of-fact tone. Frachur snarled.
"How could you side with those things?"
"Who, the mimics?" Renzati clutched her chest, as if offended. "They're quite
a useful tool for overthrowing a monarchy, I must say, but you are incorrect in assuming. I have no desire to keep them around after tonight." Pieces of the puzzle began to click in Frachur's mind. Renzati had planned this takeover. The sudden absence of the Warriors and Ambassadors had been no accident. Renzati must have done something to them, leaving the clan defenseless, and open to attack on this very night. Even their attempt at rescuing Shadowsong had been a trap, which must have been why they were met with no resistance when they searched the lair. Renzati hadn't wanted to discourage them, instead luring them in and waiting for the perfect moment to strike.
"I can tell by your expression you must have figured something out by now.
Unfortunately, I can't let anyone so connected to a deity do as they please with this information, so I'm going to make sure you stay out of my way." Renzati took the wooden blue staff from Rangt, and took out a strange, inky black tome, which levitated before her.
That doesn't look good... where'd she even get that? Frachur felt more
frightened than puzzled, but he couldn't help but feel like that tome contained the magic of something deadly.
"Why are you doing this?" Enegi cried out.
"Why matters little," the skydancer replied casually, flipping through the pages
of the tome. She stopped on one page and skimmed it, before nodding. Frachur's heartbeat quickened as she raised the staff. He had no idea where Loa or Carnation had gone to, or if Voidsong and Nightsong had rescued Shadowsong. He prayed that none of them met the same fate as he was about to. A black bolt of magic surged from the staff and struck Frachur. He felt the weight on his back suddenly release, and he instinctively scrambled towards the mad Enlightener. He reached out to strike her with his talons, only to find they suddenly looked transparent. The weight was gone, in fact, he felt himself grow a lot lighter than normal. So light that he was floating. The Mirror opened his mouth to scream, but nothing except silent, hot air came out. As his vision began to fade, he tried to flail about, but it merely sounded like a breeze being fanned. The last thing he remembered was trying to reach towards Enegi, before the last twinkle of light vanished into pitch black darkness.
VgR98md.png
[center]--------------- [columns][url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49339674] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/493397/49339674.png[/img] [/url]Afal the Immortal[url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=51171038] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/511711/51171038.png[/img] [/url]Deathknell the Arcane[nextcol][url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49680269] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/496803/49680269.png[/img] [/url]Deceiver the Mimic[url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=56680780] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/566808/56680780.png[/img] [/url]Bethania the Bounty Hunter[/columns] ---------------- As Voidsong was led to the cluster of dragons, the Fae healed Nightsong with ease. The elder, a pale Guardian named Afal, introduced them all to their new allies. Deathknell the Fae, a powerful mage and expert in all things Arcane; Bethania, a bounty hunter of the highest skill; and before he could speak on the Coatl, Voidsong snarled, gathering magic around his claws. "[I]Why is there one of those [b]disgusting creatures[/b] accompanying you?![/I]" The Coatl turned, movements jerky and insectoid...clockwork-like...before clatters and clicks echoed through it's throat as it 'spoke.' Voidsong leapt over to his sister's prone form, regardless of his own injuries screaming in protest. Nothing was going to hurt her, even these...Mimic-allies! How dare they? The Skydancer put a wing over the monster as it chittered in apparent confusion. "Deceiver may be a Mimic, but that doesn't mean it can't hunt others of it's kind." Her antenna twitched as if in amusement or anger. Voidsong felt his own nose twitch in lieu of not having his own to mimic. "I hunt my own kin as a living and you don't seem to be bellyaching about it? So stop being a hypocrite, plop your tail down, and let 'Knell fix you up. Deceiver is how we're finding these things and you aren't going to hurt a feather on his crest!" Voidsong looked down at Nightfall, eyebrows furrowing as she struggled to sit up. He plopped down and felt an uncomfortable magic, but soothing and strong nonetheless, wash over him. Afal lifted a wing to cover them as a slight drizzle began, the rain swiftly becoming stronger. "Our lair wasn't attacked; we were helping out one that was." The pair of apprentice Singers nodded. "We've been hunting these things for a few years now; monsters aren't quite as rare as one would hope, dragon or beast." Deathknell blinked slowly before rasping in a soft monotone. "Ascalon will want to know about this..." The Mimic, for Voidsong and Nightfall refused to use it's name, chittered and clacked loudly, seeming to agree. "We're going back to get him." He looked over towards the Nocturnes, voice turning as stern as a Fae could, "No flying." Bethania and Afal took to the sky, a living umbrella for the quartet underneath. The Nocturnes went to the other side of Deathknell, refusing to be anywhere near the abomination of a dragon. It chattered softly, crest falling, before moving farther away from them. They'd get their teacher back. They'd eradicate Mimickind. Starting with this one.[/center]

49339674.png
Afal the Immortal
51171038.png
Deathknell the Arcane

49680269.png
Deceiver the Mimic
56680780.png
Bethania the Bounty Hunter

As Voidsong was led to the cluster of dragons, the Fae healed Nightsong with ease. The elder, a pale Guardian named Afal, introduced them all to their new allies. Deathknell the Fae, a powerful mage and expert in all things Arcane; Bethania, a bounty hunter of the highest skill; and before he could speak on the Coatl, Voidsong snarled, gathering magic around his claws.

"Why is there one of those disgusting creatures accompanying you?!" The Coatl turned, movements jerky and insectoid...clockwork-like...before clatters and clicks echoed through it's throat as it 'spoke.' Voidsong leapt over to his sister's prone form, regardless of his own injuries screaming in protest. Nothing was going to hurt her, even these...Mimic-allies! How dare they? The Skydancer put a wing over the monster as it chittered in apparent confusion.

"Deceiver may be a Mimic, but that doesn't mean it can't hunt others of it's kind." Her antenna twitched as if in amusement or anger. Voidsong felt his own nose twitch in lieu of not having his own to mimic. "I hunt my own kin as a living and you don't seem to be bellyaching about it? So stop being a hypocrite, plop your tail down, and let 'Knell fix you up. Deceiver is how we're finding these things and you aren't going to hurt a feather on his crest!" Voidsong looked down at Nightfall, eyebrows furrowing as she struggled to sit up. He plopped down and felt an uncomfortable magic, but soothing and strong nonetheless, wash over him. Afal lifted a wing to cover them as a slight drizzle began, the rain swiftly becoming stronger.

"Our lair wasn't attacked; we were helping out one that was." The pair of apprentice Singers nodded. "We've been hunting these things for a few years now; monsters aren't quite as rare as one would hope, dragon or beast." Deathknell blinked slowly before rasping in a soft monotone.

"Ascalon will want to know about this..." The Mimic, for Voidsong and Nightfall refused to use it's name, chittered and clacked loudly, seeming to agree. "We're going back to get him." He looked over towards the Nocturnes, voice turning as stern as a Fae could, "No flying." Bethania and Afal took to the sky, a living umbrella for the quartet underneath. The Nocturnes went to the other side of Deathknell, refusing to be anywhere near the abomination of a dragon. It chattered softly, crest falling, before moving farther away from them.

They'd get their teacher back. They'd eradicate Mimickind. Starting with this one.
tumblr_inline_p7ck57ROwS1u2mdgr_540.pngqesQFkT.gifA small, circular badge. The background image of the badge is a soft, pastel sky with rosy colored clouds. A piece of yellowed parchment and quill pen, along with a silver broadsword, are in the middle of the badge. The words 'Donate Services' are placed above and below the parchment, quill, and sword in the middle.
[color=DC8665][size=4][u]Meet The Cast[/u][/size][/color] [columns] [columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48314569][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/483146/48314569p.png[/img][/url] [color=DC8665][size=4][u]The Elder[/u][/size][/color] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=57200101][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/572002/57200101p.png[/img][/url] [color=DC8665][size=4][u]The Medic[/u][/size][/color] [nextcol][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=52121214][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/521213/52121214p.png[/img][/url] [color=DC8665][size=4][u]The Scientist[/u][/size][/color] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=50735389][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/507354/50735389p.png[/img][/url] [color=DC8665][size=4][u]The Warrior[/u][/size][/color] [nextcol] [color=DC8665][u][size=4]A bit of history behind this before we get started[/size][/u][/color] [color=DC8665]Royden hugged the two hatchlings, shushing them. Their lair was being attacked again, by that...What was their name? It didn’t matter. She was after the hatchlings, trying to possess them or something bizarre like that using mimic magic. The scientist--Tyrion--was haunched next to Royden. “They’re going to find us,” Tyrion said quietly. “She can sense us.” “I know,” Royden said, losing hope. He heard a few screams from scared dragons as they ran past. An eerie gust of wind slapped Royden and Tyrion in the face. It was quiet outside of the den, except for the crunching of talons against dead leaves and dead grass. Tyrion shrunk back behind Royden. To be honest, Royden couldn’t blame the small guy. A dark figure loomed in the entry-way and started slithering towards them. The Nocture outstretched its talons towards the two hatchlings, which backed up into the elder. It seemed like all hope was lost. Suddenly, another figure jumped onto the Nocture’s back. It seemed to be a Skydancer, and it snapped its bird-like jaws at the dark figure’s cheek. “Run with the hatchlings!” She roared, and Royden jumped up, the hatchlings clinging to his back. It was like an explosion behind him, dragons scrambling after each other madly. He was attempting to make his way out of the lair and out into a field. He looked over his shoulder, recognizing two of the three dragons behind him. Tyrion and the Skydancer...Who was the small Nocture with a lion hide draped over its face? Definitely not the enemy Nocture, for sure. He felt a tug at his back where the two hatchlings were. A mimic? He looked back and saw a mimics aura wrapping itself around the two hatchlings, he raced out of the lair and collapsed in the field, too tired to try and fly. [/color] [/columns] [size=4][color=DC8665]“As soon as we’re healed, we have to go,” Voidsong said. “If we don’t rescue Shadowsong before this long night ends, she’ll be Thana’s forever.” “I’ve finished healing your sister, may I heal your wing? That looks nasty, don’t you think?” A bright blue and pink Nocture walked up to Voidsong, smiling. He had a few herbs in a pouch slung over his waist. “This might take a while…” A Skydancer trailed behind him. She was almost [i]draped[/i] in bandages, most of which were stained red. “We need to rid our lair of the mimics, Starwalker.” The Skydancer reminded him. She was speaking rather quietly but seemed very bold. “Birchsong is right, Starwalker,” The elder nodded. “I’m Royden by the way. You must be Voidsong?” Voidsong nodded slowly as Starwalker wrapped bandages around his wounds, pouring some liquid on the bandage after it was stuck on. “Tyrion! We need to get going, do you have the brew?” Royden yelled to the opposite side of the rather small room. “I’m getting it all into a jug, hold on,” Tyrion said with an annoyed tone, taking a beaker and violently scooping up the liquid from a tank and pouring it into a large jug. “What about the other Nocture, is her leg well enough to walk?” Starwalker asked, tilting his head. “No, I’m afraid. I don’t know [i]how[/i] she got a broken leg and Voidsong didn’t, but oh well.” Tyrion sighed. “Let’s get going?” Voidsong asked, losing his patients. These dragons were basically large snails. The elder slowly got up, leading the way out the entrance and to the lair. Birchsong was the first to enter the lair, and as soon as she did she gasped. A yellow, small Mirror was laying on the ground, her claws twitching. She was laughing a lot, actually. She was rolling over on the ground, slapping her tail on the dusty ground. “Poor thing,” Royden said sadly, Tyrion nodding behind him. “[i]Not[/i] poor thing! That’s my friend!” Birchsong said stubbornly. “It’s fine, it’s fine,” Tyrion said. “I have a drink that will knock them out, essentially. Then we can get them back to the laboratory and--Sorry--Lock them up until we get the reverse-magic.” Tyrion swayed his plumaged tail eagerly, advancing towards the mimic-infested Mirror. “Voidsong, Birchsong, I need you to hold her down while I make her drink this, she might claw at you but don’t let go,” Tyrion instructed. Birchsong held the Mirror down by the throat. Voidsong was hesitant, but soon slunk over there and firmly gripped onto her. She struggled under their weight, but she was already smaller than both of them. Tyrion slithered over, forcing her to choke down the disgusting brew. She soon stopped writhing under them and fell limp. “Nice,” Tyrion said, a bit sarcastically. “We can leave her here and come back to get them one-by-one, they’ll be knocked out for a few days.” “DAYS?!” Birchsong yelled, but Tyrion ignored her and continued on, and they all soon followed. Birchsong was tentative but soon followed after them. After all, they needed her strength. “Help me…!” “Did you hear that?” Voidsong asked, but everyone looked a bit clueless. “Hear what?” Tyrion asked. “WHERE’S STARWALKER?!” Birchsong asked frantically, which caused Royden to also go into a hectic state. “Oh great.” Tyrion sighed, his talons twirling the flowy silk at the end of his tacky dress. “I bet a mimic got him...Maybe.” Voidsong said. “Come on, follow me.” Voidsong was walking towards the cries for help, but the closer he got the more he realized it didn’t sound like Starwalker. They were now close enough to hear it pretty well, it seemed like it was coming from a den. “Starwalker! We’re here!” Royden yelled. Birchsong darted into the cave. She screamed once she had. Tyrion’s eyes widened while Royden ran into the den with Voidsong. Voidsong’s eyes widened in shock. Starwalker was attacking an innocent dragon, which seemed to have been knocked out or…No, it wasn’t dead. Hopefully. The Tundra laid there, limp. It seemed to be breathing, but it was dark… “It’s not what it looks like,” Starwalker said, coughing. Bursts of the mimic aura hawked it’s way out of him. “Please, I’m sane.” “NO YOU’RE NOT!” Birchsong cried, jumping at him. “You deserve to pay for this!” “The dragon isn’t dead, don’t kill him. He’s been taken over like everyone else.” Voidsong said calmly. He thought back to his sister. Had he possibly broken her leg? That would make sense… Starwalker kicked up at Birchsong, his aura magic engulphing her. “NO!” She screamed, clawing at his face. “RUN!” She screamed. “We’ve gotten most of them, it’s okay. We can come back for them.” Tyrion told Royden. Sullenly, Royden ran out of the lair with Tyrion and Voidsong. They had failed, and now they had to go and find Shadowsong.[/color][/size]
Meet The Cast
48314569p.png
The Elder
57200101p.png
The Medic
52121214p.png
The Scientist
50735389p.png
The Warrior
A bit of history behind this before we get started
Royden hugged the two hatchlings, shushing them. Their lair was being attacked again, by that...What was their name? It didn’t matter. She was after the hatchlings, trying to possess them or something bizarre like that using mimic magic. The scientist--Tyrion--was haunched next to Royden.
“They’re going to find us,” Tyrion said quietly. “She can sense us.”
“I know,” Royden said, losing hope. He heard a few screams from scared dragons as they ran past. An eerie gust of wind slapped Royden and Tyrion in the face. It was quiet outside of the den, except for the crunching of talons against dead leaves and dead grass. Tyrion shrunk back behind Royden. To be honest, Royden couldn’t blame the small guy.
A dark figure loomed in the entry-way and started slithering towards them. The Nocture outstretched its talons towards the two hatchlings, which backed up into the elder. It seemed like all hope was lost.
Suddenly, another figure jumped onto the Nocture’s back. It seemed to be a Skydancer, and it snapped its bird-like jaws at the dark figure’s cheek. “Run with the hatchlings!” She roared, and Royden jumped up, the hatchlings clinging to his back. It was like an explosion behind him, dragons scrambling after each other madly.
He was attempting to make his way out of the lair and out into a field. He looked over his shoulder, recognizing two of the three dragons behind him. Tyrion and the Skydancer...Who was the small Nocture with a lion hide draped over its face? Definitely not the enemy Nocture, for sure.
He felt a tug at his back where the two hatchlings were. A mimic? He looked back and saw a mimics aura wrapping itself around the two hatchlings, he raced out of the lair and collapsed in the field, too tired to try and fly.

“As soon as we’re healed, we have to go,” Voidsong said. “If we don’t rescue Shadowsong before this long night ends, she’ll be Thana’s forever.”
“I’ve finished healing your sister, may I heal your wing? That looks nasty, don’t you think?” A bright blue and pink Nocture walked up to Voidsong, smiling. He had a few herbs in a pouch slung over his waist. “This might take a while…”
A Skydancer trailed behind him. She was almost draped in bandages, most of which were stained red.
“We need to rid our lair of the mimics, Starwalker.” The Skydancer reminded him. She was speaking rather quietly but seemed very bold.
“Birchsong is right, Starwalker,” The elder nodded. “I’m Royden by the way. You must be Voidsong?”
Voidsong nodded slowly as Starwalker wrapped bandages around his wounds, pouring some liquid on the bandage after it was stuck on.
“Tyrion! We need to get going, do you have the brew?” Royden yelled to the opposite side of the rather small room.
“I’m getting it all into a jug, hold on,” Tyrion said with an annoyed tone, taking a beaker and violently scooping up the liquid from a tank and pouring it into a large jug.
“What about the other Nocture, is her leg well enough to walk?” Starwalker asked, tilting his head.
“No, I’m afraid. I don’t know how she got a broken leg and Voidsong didn’t, but oh well.” Tyrion sighed.
“Let’s get going?” Voidsong asked, losing his patients. These dragons were basically large snails. The elder slowly got up, leading the way out the entrance and to the lair.

Birchsong was the first to enter the lair, and as soon as she did she gasped. A yellow, small Mirror was laying on the ground, her claws twitching. She was laughing a lot, actually. She was rolling over on the ground, slapping her tail on the dusty ground.
“Poor thing,” Royden said sadly, Tyrion nodding behind him.
Not poor thing! That’s my friend!” Birchsong said stubbornly.
“It’s fine, it’s fine,” Tyrion said. “I have a drink that will knock them out, essentially. Then we can get them back to the laboratory and--Sorry--Lock them up until we get the reverse-magic.” Tyrion swayed his plumaged tail eagerly, advancing towards the mimic-infested Mirror.
“Voidsong, Birchsong, I need you to hold her down while I make her drink this, she might claw at you but don’t let go,” Tyrion instructed.
Birchsong held the Mirror down by the throat. Voidsong was hesitant, but soon slunk over there and firmly gripped onto her. She struggled under their weight, but she was already smaller than both of them.
Tyrion slithered over, forcing her to choke down the disgusting brew. She soon stopped writhing under them and fell limp.
“Nice,” Tyrion said, a bit sarcastically. “We can leave her here and come back to get them one-by-one, they’ll be knocked out for a few days.”
“DAYS?!” Birchsong yelled, but Tyrion ignored her and continued on, and they all soon followed. Birchsong was tentative but soon followed after them. After all, they needed her strength.
“Help me…!”
“Did you hear that?” Voidsong asked, but everyone looked a bit clueless.
“Hear what?” Tyrion asked.
“WHERE’S STARWALKER?!” Birchsong asked frantically, which caused Royden to also go into a hectic state.
“Oh great.” Tyrion sighed, his talons twirling the flowy silk at the end of his tacky dress.
“I bet a mimic got him...Maybe.” Voidsong said. “Come on, follow me.” Voidsong was walking towards the cries for help, but the closer he got the more he realized it didn’t sound like Starwalker. They were now close enough to hear it pretty well, it seemed like it was coming from a den.
“Starwalker! We’re here!” Royden yelled. Birchsong darted into the cave. She screamed once she had. Tyrion’s eyes widened while Royden ran into the den with Voidsong.

Voidsong’s eyes widened in shock. Starwalker was attacking an innocent dragon, which seemed to have been knocked out or…No, it wasn’t dead. Hopefully. The Tundra laid there, limp. It seemed to be breathing, but it was dark…
“It’s not what it looks like,” Starwalker said, coughing. Bursts of the mimic aura hawked it’s way out of him. “Please, I’m sane.”
“NO YOU’RE NOT!” Birchsong cried, jumping at him. “You deserve to pay for this!”
“The dragon isn’t dead, don’t kill him. He’s been taken over like everyone else.” Voidsong said calmly. He thought back to his sister. Had he possibly broken her leg? That would make sense…
Starwalker kicked up at Birchsong, his aura magic engulphing her. “NO!” She screamed, clawing at his face. “RUN!” She screamed.
“We’ve gotten most of them, it’s okay. We can come back for them.” Tyrion told Royden. Sullenly, Royden ran out of the lair with Tyrion and Voidsong. They had failed, and now they had to go and find Shadowsong.
Lion-Transparent-PNG-Clip-Art-Image-3.png source.gif
source.gif
giphy.gif
source.gif
source.gif
source.gif
source.gif
source.gif
source.gif
source.gif
source.gif
source.gif
Claim post!
I can't wait to try my hand at this!
Claim post!
I can't wait to try my hand at this!
earth.gif
FR +3
They/Them

Lore Fiend + Aff Artist

Brewing Corner
[url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=14088851] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/140889/14088851_350.png[/img] [/url] Dione had been the first to escape from the citadel when the strange darkness had overtaken it. Her instincts as a caretaker had kicked in and she'd taken the two strange hatchlings with her, little suspecting that something was wrong with them. Indeed, it was only when they shifted before her eyes that the Shadow dragon realized she had been deceived. All of Clan Twinstar had been deceived. "This is my fault," she said, as she picked up Voidsong. "I should have known there was something wrong about those hatchlings by now. I'm ashamed of myself." [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=43827864] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/438279/43827864_350.png[/img] [/url] "No, I'm the one who should have smelled them!" Karaia growled, as the enormous Gaoler stepped forward. "But I couldn’t sense a thing! They eluded me! How is this possible? Argh!" She slammed her claws into the ground, just as the third dragon to escape the lair came up beside her. [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=19353695] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/193537/19353695_350.png[/img] [/url] "Don't be too hard on yourselves," Nerzhul said, as the Sheriff clung to the shoulder of his Custodian. "These Mimics are trickier than you might think. I should know... I've fallen victim to their magic before." [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=20334064] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/203341/20334064_350.png[/img] [/url] "This has happened before?" Kirkwall said, the ancient Pearlcatcher having been awakened from his hibernation by the chaos. The chronicler rarely rose from his slumber anymore, save for the times when he needed to add to the long list of the clan's achievements. But whatever chaos had taken the citadel had stirred him, and he'd escaped just behind the other three. "I am certain I would remember something like that. But the clan's chronicles say nothing of these Mimics." "That's the strange thing... hardly anyone seems to remember them after they visit," Nerzhul replied. "But they have attacked our clan before, and several times, too, if the stories are to be believed." "These Mimics... are they something else that's emerged in the long centuries we have been away?" Karaia asked. "I suspect only Shadowsong would know for sure," Dione replied. "And if these hatchlings are correct, she is in grave danger. But how are we to find her? She could be anywhere by now." “Not just anywhere,” Voidsong suddenly chimed in. “She must be being held somewhere in your citadel. Now that the Mimics have taken it over, it’s the perfect place to keep her imprisoned.” “But we can’t just search the entire lair! We’d never find her before dawn arrives!” “We may not have to,” Nerzhul said. “Think… where did the first reports of trouble start coming from?” “Ah… I thought I smelled something strange coming from the laboratories,” Karaia growled. “Stranger than usual, I mean. I have never understood that place at all.” “Of course, down there would be a perfect place to hide her,” Kirkwall said. “The labs were a maze even before I moved into the Hibernal Den, and I’m sure the Science Division has only expanded them since then. Few outside the Division would go down there alone, or else they’d risk getting lost.” “Unfortunately, I don’t think the scientists will be able to help us here,” Dione added. “They’ve surely fallen victim to the Mimics by now. But there might still be a way. You may not be able to smell Mimics, Karaia, but do you think you might be able to smell your way to Shadowsong?” “Can I?” Karaia said, a rare grin coming to the Gaoler’s face. “If she is indeed in our lair, I will track her down.” “Then we’d better hurry,” Nerzhul said. “There’s only a few hours left before dawn.” ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Getting into the citadel had been tricky. It seemed as though an army of Mimics had taken over, and the rest of the clan was nowhere to be seen. With Dione using her Shadow magic to conceal the group, Karaia and Nerzhul led the way. The Nocturne used his Ice magic to freeze the Mimics that stood in their way while the Gaoler smashed them aside. As for Kirkwall, while he wasn’t as talented a mage as the others, he knew some older Arcane magics which helped to keep their enemies from closing in and surrounding them. Karaia’s nose seemed to confirm Kirkwall’s suspicions, as the group finally made it to the main entrance to the Science Division. There they found that the doors were being barricaded by a massive black Guardian. “S- stay back!” Roxolani roared. “The whole lab has gone mad! These things just keep coming, and I won’t be able to hold this door for much longer! It’s not my fault this time, I swear…” “Move aside,” Karaia growled, and before anyone could stop her, the Gaoler slammed into Roxolani and shoved her aside. The Guardian was out like a light. Clearly, Karaia was on a mission now! The other three dragons followed her into the labs, and it was clear that things had gone horribly wrong. Everything was in disarray, much more so than usual. There had been a major battle here, and while the scientists weren’t incapable of fighting- the clan’s Trainer, Vincent, had seen to that- they’d quickly been driven out. All that remained in their wake was piles of wrecked equipment, abandoned experiments, and hordes and hordes of Mimics. “They’re not being subtle this time,” Nerzhul said, as the group fought their way deeper into the labs. “I wonder what made them change their strategy?” “Be quiet!” Karaia snapped back at the Nocturne. “I can smell her. This way.” The group continued to advance deeper into the labs, into a section that seemed like it hadn’t been used in a very long time. Eventually, they came to an ancient and heavy door inscribed with runes that few of them recognized. Even Kirkwall was struggling to remember when this had been built, and he knew the layout of the citadel better than almost anyone else. What was clear to all four of the dragons, however, was that there was a massive amount of magic behind this door. And that wasn’t all… “She’s inside,” Karaia whispered. “She must be. Her scent is so strong, even with everything else in there. I don’t recognize any of it.” “Then this is likely where she’s being held prisoner,” Nerzhul said, coming up to the door and gently pushing on it. “Hmm… it’s not locked. They must not be expecting anyone to get this far.” “That, or it’s a trap,” Dione chimed in. “We’re the only ones who can save Shadowsong now, but if we charge on in blindly… Kirkwall, do you think there might be another way into this room?” “Hmm…” the Pearlcatcher grumbled, closing his eyes. “Now that you mention it, there might be a way in through the back. I’m still trying to remember what this room was for, though. Something about it makes me uneasy, even without the threat of Mimics.” “What are you two going on about?” Karaia roared. “Hush! They’ll hear us,” Dione said. “I have an idea. You and Nerzhul can go in through the front while Kirkwall and I try and sneak around and come in through the back. We may be able to catch them off guard and rescue Shadowsong that way.” “Are you two going to be alright on your own?” Nerzhul asked. “Oh, don’t worry, I have my tricks. They won’t ever find us.” Even as Dione spoke, she and Kirkwall seemed to fade away into the shadows, leaving Nerzhul and Karaia alone. For a moment, there was silence. Then the Gaoler, tired of waiting, smashed through the heavy doors and into the room beyond, with Nerzhul following right behind her. In the center of the room, imprisoned in a cage of magic, was Shadowsong. The edges of the room were awash in shadows, but it was impossible to shake the feeling that there must be hundreds of Mimics watching from deep within them. Strangest of all, though, was a large portal at the far end of the room, though it appeared to be inert at the moment. Nerzhul shuddered- had he seen it before? He had no time to ponder this, however, as another Nocturne emerged from behind Shadowsong’s cage- a red Nocturne, clad in robes that shimmered in the dim light. She examined the intruders for a moment. “I thought I heard someone out there,” the Nocturne said at last. “You’re not exactly subtle, you know.” Karaia growled at this, but Nerzhul and his Custodian stepped in between her and the stranger. “Are you Thana?” he asked. The stranger nodded. “Indeed,” she replied. “Those hatchlings sent you, didn’t they?” Nerzhul was usually one to keep a cool head, but Thana’s mere presence was starting to enrage him. He realized that this was the Nocturne who had, directly or otherwise, turned him against his own clan many years ago. “You’ve caused enough trouble for this clan,” he said firmly. “I’m ending this tonight. You’re going to spend the rest of eternity locked up in a block of ice, Thana!” “Really? You two against me and my army?” Thana replied, chuckling. “I don’t think so. Your precious Clan Twinstar has been a thorn in my side for far too long. So tonight I’m dealing with them once and for all. And once you’re out of the way, I’ll have a perfect citadel from which to spread my Mimics all across Sornieth. No one will be able to stop me.” “You are as bad a Shade-touched!” Karaia roared. “No, you might be even worse than one! But you will never take this citadel. I’ll make sure there’s a special prison in the Fortress of Ends for you, Thana! Rrragh!” With a mighty roar, the Gaoler charged at Thana, but the Nocturne simply took flight and dodged out of the way. “Enough of this,” she said, gesturing to the shadows. “Take them.” The shadows suddenly sprang to life and hundreds of Mimics leapt at Nerzhul and Karaia. While they fought bravely, the sheer numbers they were up against made their chances of victory look slim indeed. But as Thana watched the battle unfold from above, she was suddenly struck in the back by a bolt of Arcane magic. “Ahh! Who dares?” she snapped, looking around for the source of the spell. She couldn’t immediately find it, though, as whoever had cast it was being concealed by shadowy magics that were not her own. Realizing this, Thana began weaving a powerful spell. A mass of thorns and brambles shot out towards the back of the room and slammed into Dione’s shadowy shield. For indeed, she and Kirkwall had managed to slip in through a hole in the wall and were now joining in the fight. But now that Thana had found them, Dione had to work hard to keep her shield from failing even as she and Kirkwall struggled to get closer to Shadowsong’s prison. The one upside of this was that their presence was drawing Mimics away from the battle with Karaia and Nerzhul, easing the pressure on the two of them. “Kirkwall! See if you can do something about that cage!” Dione yelled. “I’ll keep Thana distracted!” “You think you can defeat me?” Thana shouted, as she turned her full attention on the Skydancer. “Your Shadow powers are no match for mine!” The two dragons launched blasts of Shadow magic at each other, threatening to tear the room apart. But in the chaos, Kirkwall was able to sneak up to Shadowsong’s cage. He started casting spells to try to break it open, but he knew he was running out of time. Karaia and Nerzhul were still being overwhelmed by Mimics and Dione was struggling to hold back Thana’s magic. The Pearlcatcher trembled, worried that he might not find a spell that could free Shadowsong in time. But just when it seemed like all was lost, his last spell managed to cut through the shadowy bars of the cage and tear it open. Shadowsong leapt out of her prison and rose high into the air, where she began singing a strange song. The Mimics recoiled at the sound of it, and even Thana lost her composure just long enough for Dione’s Shadow bolt to send her tumbling backwards. Nerzhul closed in on Thana, preparing to take her into custody. But he couldn’t get to her quickly enough. Instead, the red Nocturne took off again towards the portal, which suddenly roared to life. The surviving Mimics began to flee through it, and before the other dragons could catch her, Thana had gone through it too. “This isn’t over!” she yelled. “You haven’t heard the last of me, Clan Twinstar!” And before anyone could go in after her, the portal closed and she was gone. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- “I finally remembered what this room was for,” Kirkwall said. The four dragons were helping Shadowsong back out to the courtyard, where her hatchlings would surely be waiting for her. “Do you remember that portal Harmony and Discord found many years ago?” The other dragons shook their heads. “No, not really,” Dione said. “Or… maybe I did and I just thought it was a dream.” “Well, that portal of theirs was what brought the first Mimic to our lair long ago,” Kirkwall replied. “Or so the legends go, anyway. No one quite remembers what happens on nights like these.” “That’s how it always happens,” Shadowsong said. “These Mimics have a strange tendency to be forgotten after they’ve come and gone. But we Nocturnes remember, at least. That’s why we know to keep an eye out for them.” “In any case,” Kirkwall continued. “The twins were conducting experiments on their portal when it suddenly sucked Harmony right through it. The Mimic that replaced her very nearly took over our entire lair without anyone noticing. I forget exactly how it was defeated, it was so long ago. I had thought we’d gotten rid of the portal after that, but instead we must have built that room down there to contain it, only to forget about it after all these centuries. There must still have been some magic left in it. That must be how Thana and her Mimics got in.” “What’s going to happen to it now?” Karaia asked. “I’ll bring the matter before the Council at the next meeting,” Nerzhul said, as the four finally emerged from the lab. “I’d say it should be destroyed, but if this night goes like the others before it have… it might just end up getting forgotten again.” “Don’t worry, you won’t forget quite that easily,” Shadowsong said. “And even if you do, I don’t think Thana will try to use that portal again any time soon. She’ll find some other way. She always does.” The Nocturne walked out into the courtyard, where Voidsong and Nightsong were quick to come to her side. Shadowsong turned towards the quartet one last time. “Thank you, all of you,” she said, as she and the hatchlings rose into the air and started fading away into constellations. “I have a feeling this will not be the last time we meet. Farewell.” And with that said, they were gone, just as dawn finally began to break over the outer walls of the citadel. As the four dragons stared up at where Shadowsong had been before she’d vanished, they heard a groaning noise coming from behind them. “Ugh…” Roxolani said, as she staggered to her feet. “What a night… Now, would someone care to explain to me what happened to my lab?”

14088851_350.png

Dione had been the first to escape from the citadel when the strange darkness had overtaken it. Her instincts as a caretaker had kicked in and she'd taken the two strange hatchlings with her, little suspecting that something was wrong with them. Indeed, it was only when they shifted before her eyes that the Shadow dragon realized she had been deceived. All of Clan Twinstar had been deceived.

"This is my fault," she said, as she picked up Voidsong. "I should have known there was something wrong about those hatchlings by now. I'm ashamed of myself."

43827864_350.png

"No, I'm the one who should have smelled them!" Karaia growled, as the enormous Gaoler stepped forward. "But I couldn’t sense a thing! They eluded me! How is this possible? Argh!" She slammed her claws into the ground, just as the third dragon to escape the lair came up beside her.

19353695_350.png

"Don't be too hard on yourselves," Nerzhul said, as the Sheriff clung to the shoulder of his Custodian. "These Mimics are trickier than you might think. I should know... I've fallen victim to their magic before."

20334064_350.png

"This has happened before?" Kirkwall said, the ancient Pearlcatcher having been awakened from his hibernation by the chaos. The chronicler rarely rose from his slumber anymore, save for the times when he needed to add to the long list of the clan's achievements. But whatever chaos had taken the citadel had stirred him, and he'd escaped just behind the other three. "I am certain I would remember something like that. But the clan's chronicles say nothing of these Mimics."

"That's the strange thing... hardly anyone seems to remember them after they visit," Nerzhul replied. "But they have attacked our clan before, and several times, too, if the stories are to be believed."

"These Mimics... are they something else that's emerged in the long centuries we have been away?" Karaia asked.

"I suspect only Shadowsong would know for sure," Dione replied. "And if these hatchlings are correct, she is in grave danger. But how are we to find her? She could be anywhere by now."

“Not just anywhere,” Voidsong suddenly chimed in. “She must be being held somewhere in your citadel. Now that the Mimics have taken it over, it’s the perfect place to keep her imprisoned.”

“But we can’t just search the entire lair! We’d never find her before dawn arrives!”

“We may not have to,” Nerzhul said. “Think… where did the first reports of trouble start coming from?”

“Ah… I thought I smelled something strange coming from the laboratories,” Karaia growled. “Stranger than usual, I mean. I have never understood that place at all.”

“Of course, down there would be a perfect place to hide her,” Kirkwall said. “The labs were a maze even before I moved into the Hibernal Den, and I’m sure the Science Division has only expanded them since then. Few outside the Division would go down there alone, or else they’d risk getting lost.”

“Unfortunately, I don’t think the scientists will be able to help us here,” Dione added. “They’ve surely fallen victim to the Mimics by now. But there might still be a way. You may not be able to smell Mimics, Karaia, but do you think you might be able to smell your way to Shadowsong?”

“Can I?” Karaia said, a rare grin coming to the Gaoler’s face. “If she is indeed in our lair, I will track her down.”

“Then we’d better hurry,” Nerzhul said. “There’s only a few hours left before dawn.”

Getting into the citadel had been tricky. It seemed as though an army of Mimics had taken over, and the rest of the clan was nowhere to be seen. With Dione using her Shadow magic to conceal the group, Karaia and Nerzhul led the way. The Nocturne used his Ice magic to freeze the Mimics that stood in their way while the Gaoler smashed them aside. As for Kirkwall, while he wasn’t as talented a mage as the others, he knew some older Arcane magics which helped to keep their enemies from closing in and surrounding them.

Karaia’s nose seemed to confirm Kirkwall’s suspicions, as the group finally made it to the main entrance to the Science Division. There they found that the doors were being barricaded by a massive black Guardian.

“S- stay back!” Roxolani roared. “The whole lab has gone mad! These things just keep coming, and I won’t be able to hold this door for much longer! It’s not my fault this time, I swear…”

“Move aside,” Karaia growled, and before anyone could stop her, the Gaoler slammed into Roxolani and shoved her aside. The Guardian was out like a light. Clearly, Karaia was on a mission now!

The other three dragons followed her into the labs, and it was clear that things had gone horribly wrong. Everything was in disarray, much more so than usual. There had been a major battle here, and while the scientists weren’t incapable of fighting- the clan’s Trainer, Vincent, had seen to that- they’d quickly been driven out. All that remained in their wake was piles of wrecked equipment, abandoned experiments, and hordes and hordes of Mimics.

“They’re not being subtle this time,” Nerzhul said, as the group fought their way deeper into the labs. “I wonder what made them change their strategy?”

“Be quiet!” Karaia snapped back at the Nocturne. “I can smell her. This way.”

The group continued to advance deeper into the labs, into a section that seemed like it hadn’t been used in a very long time. Eventually, they came to an ancient and heavy door inscribed with runes that few of them recognized. Even Kirkwall was struggling to remember when this had been built, and he knew the layout of the citadel better than almost anyone else. What was clear to all four of the dragons, however, was that there was a massive amount of magic behind this door. And that wasn’t all…

“She’s inside,” Karaia whispered. “She must be. Her scent is so strong, even with everything else in there. I don’t recognize any of it.”

“Then this is likely where she’s being held prisoner,” Nerzhul said, coming up to the door and gently pushing on it. “Hmm… it’s not locked. They must not be expecting anyone to get this far.”

“That, or it’s a trap,” Dione chimed in. “We’re the only ones who can save Shadowsong now, but if we charge on in blindly… Kirkwall, do you think there might be another way into this room?”

“Hmm…” the Pearlcatcher grumbled, closing his eyes. “Now that you mention it, there might be a way in through the back. I’m still trying to remember what this room was for, though. Something about it makes me uneasy, even without the threat of Mimics.”

“What are you two going on about?” Karaia roared.

“Hush! They’ll hear us,” Dione said. “I have an idea. You and Nerzhul can go in through the front while Kirkwall and I try and sneak around and come in through the back. We may be able to catch them off guard and rescue Shadowsong that way.”

“Are you two going to be alright on your own?” Nerzhul asked.

“Oh, don’t worry, I have my tricks. They won’t ever find us.” Even as Dione spoke, she and Kirkwall seemed to fade away into the shadows, leaving Nerzhul and Karaia alone. For a moment, there was silence. Then the Gaoler, tired of waiting, smashed through the heavy doors and into the room beyond, with Nerzhul following right behind her.

In the center of the room, imprisoned in a cage of magic, was Shadowsong. The edges of the room were awash in shadows, but it was impossible to shake the feeling that there must be hundreds of Mimics watching from deep within them. Strangest of all, though, was a large portal at the far end of the room, though it appeared to be inert at the moment. Nerzhul shuddered- had he seen it before? He had no time to ponder this, however, as another Nocturne emerged from behind Shadowsong’s cage- a red Nocturne, clad in robes that shimmered in the dim light. She examined the intruders for a moment.

“I thought I heard someone out there,” the Nocturne said at last. “You’re not exactly subtle, you know.”

Karaia growled at this, but Nerzhul and his Custodian stepped in between her and the stranger. “Are you Thana?” he asked.

The stranger nodded. “Indeed,” she replied. “Those hatchlings sent you, didn’t they?”

Nerzhul was usually one to keep a cool head, but Thana’s mere presence was starting to enrage him. He realized that this was the Nocturne who had, directly or otherwise, turned him against his own clan many years ago. “You’ve caused enough trouble for this clan,” he said firmly. “I’m ending this tonight. You’re going to spend the rest of eternity locked up in a block of ice, Thana!”

“Really? You two against me and my army?” Thana replied, chuckling. “I don’t think so. Your precious Clan Twinstar has been a thorn in my side for far too long. So tonight I’m dealing with them once and for all. And once you’re out of the way, I’ll have a perfect citadel from which to spread my Mimics all across Sornieth. No one will be able to stop me.”

“You are as bad a Shade-touched!” Karaia roared. “No, you might be even worse than one! But you will never take this citadel. I’ll make sure there’s a special prison in the Fortress of Ends for you, Thana! Rrragh!”

With a mighty roar, the Gaoler charged at Thana, but the Nocturne simply took flight and dodged out of the way. “Enough of this,” she said, gesturing to the shadows. “Take them.”

The shadows suddenly sprang to life and hundreds of Mimics leapt at Nerzhul and Karaia. While they fought bravely, the sheer numbers they were up against made their chances of victory look slim indeed. But as Thana watched the battle unfold from above, she was suddenly struck in the back by a bolt of Arcane magic. “Ahh! Who dares?” she snapped, looking around for the source of the spell. She couldn’t immediately find it, though, as whoever had cast it was being concealed by shadowy magics that were not her own.

Realizing this, Thana began weaving a powerful spell. A mass of thorns and brambles shot out towards the back of the room and slammed into Dione’s shadowy shield. For indeed, she and Kirkwall had managed to slip in through a hole in the wall and were now joining in the fight. But now that Thana had found them, Dione had to work hard to keep her shield from failing even as she and Kirkwall struggled to get closer to Shadowsong’s prison. The one upside of this was that their presence was drawing Mimics away from the battle with Karaia and Nerzhul, easing the pressure on the two of them.

“Kirkwall! See if you can do something about that cage!” Dione yelled. “I’ll keep Thana distracted!”

“You think you can defeat me?” Thana shouted, as she turned her full attention on the Skydancer. “Your Shadow powers are no match for mine!”

The two dragons launched blasts of Shadow magic at each other, threatening to tear the room apart. But in the chaos, Kirkwall was able to sneak up to Shadowsong’s cage. He started casting spells to try to break it open, but he knew he was running out of time. Karaia and Nerzhul were still being overwhelmed by Mimics and Dione was struggling to hold back Thana’s magic. The Pearlcatcher trembled, worried that he might not find a spell that could free Shadowsong in time.

But just when it seemed like all was lost, his last spell managed to cut through the shadowy bars of the cage and tear it open. Shadowsong leapt out of her prison and rose high into the air, where she began singing a strange song. The Mimics recoiled at the sound of it, and even Thana lost her composure just long enough for Dione’s Shadow bolt to send her tumbling backwards.

Nerzhul closed in on Thana, preparing to take her into custody. But he couldn’t get to her quickly enough. Instead, the red Nocturne took off again towards the portal, which suddenly roared to life. The surviving Mimics began to flee through it, and before the other dragons could catch her, Thana had gone through it too.

“This isn’t over!” she yelled. “You haven’t heard the last of me, Clan Twinstar!” And before anyone could go in after her, the portal closed and she was gone.

“I finally remembered what this room was for,” Kirkwall said. The four dragons were helping Shadowsong back out to the courtyard, where her hatchlings would surely be waiting for her. “Do you remember that portal Harmony and Discord found many years ago?”

The other dragons shook their heads. “No, not really,” Dione said. “Or… maybe I did and I just thought it was a dream.”

“Well, that portal of theirs was what brought the first Mimic to our lair long ago,” Kirkwall replied. “Or so the legends go, anyway. No one quite remembers what happens on nights like these.”

“That’s how it always happens,” Shadowsong said. “These Mimics have a strange tendency to be forgotten after they’ve come and gone. But we Nocturnes remember, at least. That’s why we know to keep an eye out for them.”

“In any case,” Kirkwall continued. “The twins were conducting experiments on their portal when it suddenly sucked Harmony right through it. The Mimic that replaced her very nearly took over our entire lair without anyone noticing. I forget exactly how it was defeated, it was so long ago. I had thought we’d gotten rid of the portal after that, but instead we must have built that room down there to contain it, only to forget about it after all these centuries. There must still have been some magic left in it. That must be how Thana and her Mimics got in.”

“What’s going to happen to it now?” Karaia asked.

“I’ll bring the matter before the Council at the next meeting,” Nerzhul said, as the four finally emerged from the lab. “I’d say it should be destroyed, but if this night goes like the others before it have… it might just end up getting forgotten again.”

“Don’t worry, you won’t forget quite that easily,” Shadowsong said. “And even if you do, I don’t think Thana will try to use that portal again any time soon. She’ll find some other way. She always does.”

The Nocturne walked out into the courtyard, where Voidsong and Nightsong were quick to come to her side. Shadowsong turned towards the quartet one last time.

“Thank you, all of you,” she said, as she and the hatchlings rose into the air and started fading away into constellations. “I have a feeling this will not be the last time we meet. Farewell.”

And with that said, they were gone, just as dawn finally began to break over the outer walls of the citadel. As the four dragons stared up at where Shadowsong had been before she’d vanished, they heard a groaning noise coming from behind them.

“Ugh…” Roxolani said, as she staggered to her feet. “What a night… Now, would someone care to explain to me what happened to my lab?”
xpP2XdL.png
[center][url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=27929258] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/279293/27929258_350.png[/img] [/url] [size=5][font=gabriola]AegisFang the Elder Warrior [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=50307214] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/503073/50307214_350.png[/img] [/url] Savitri the Healer [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=50561576] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/505616/50561576_350.png[/img] [/url] Vitis the Cyborg [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=55254487] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/552545/55254487_350.png[/img] [/url] Annabel the Inventor's Apprentice[/font][/size][/center] [center][img]https://68.media.tumblr.com/131151a4f8bd68ee96b8843938e7b7b2/tumblr_o87uccJtxy1tddvg0o2_500.png[/img][/center] [size=5][font=gabriola]AegisFang's expression darkened into a scowl, and he shifted away from the younger dragon to look at the others. "I understand," he murmured, bowing his head slightly. "I'm afraid my skills are of no help at this time. I can only hope to rescue those that are left, if there are any. You youngins know much more about these mimics than I, and my strength does little to hold them back." He turned again to fix Voidsong with a deep stare from beneath his armor. "Your fate lies within your claws. Do not worry about Clan Astraia. Rescue Shadowsong." With a quiet squeak, Voidsong nodded and scampered over to his sister's side, next to the other survivors. Nightsong looked at him with a small, reassuring smile, and the healer tucked away her herbs in her pouch, the reddish glow that had been emanating from her claws fading into darkness. She gave a slow, decisive nod and patted Nightsong lightly on the head, before gesturing for her to go to her brother. Much to both of the nocturne's surprise, Nightsong was able to move without any trouble now, as if she had never been injured in the first place. The healer smiled with satisfaction, and the wildclaw standing nearby let out a quiet, yet gleeful cheer. "M-Maybe we are gonna be okay, with 'Vitri's help!" she stammered, her tail furiously whipping back and forth against the ground. The tiny fae perched on her shoulder let out a slightly robotic laugh, sounding almost condescending. "Don't be foolish, Annabel. We are lost without Bessarion," she replied monotonously. "Father was the only one that knew how to handle his robots, and now that the mimics have taken over them and... killed him... We have no way to stop them. Optimism without reason is as hopeless and depressing as a phoenix without wings." Her glass eyes flashed a bright pink as she spoke, the light quickly traveling down her veins, and Annabel jumped as if shocked. AegisFang stomped over, his gaze somber. "Quiet, both of you," he ordered in a raspy growl. At the obedient silence, he let out a heavy sigh and turned to the two nocturnes that had been staring, wide-eyed, at the conversation. "Leave now, before we are discovered. It's only a matter of time." Nightsong and Voidsong glanced at each other and shared a small nod. "We'll find a way to get her back," Voidsong said, a determined furrow in his expression. "Just don't die, okay?" AegisFang chuckled softly, although he didn't sound very amused at the prospect. "I'll fight my hardest," he murmured. "Now go." With that, the two took off into the night as their farewell, and the mood almost immediately dropped into a deeper despair. "W-We're doomed," Annabel whined quietly, her tail twitching even faster now. "W-We're all gonna die because I never learned how to control those d-dumb robots!" "They are not to be controlled," Vitis reminded, poking at Annabel's face with a tiny claw. "They were as alive as any of us. They have souls that only Father learned how to contain within metal." As if on cue, a soft whirring noise sounded from the shadows of the cave they stood in, and Vitis's fins fluttered at the sound. "The mimics," she deadpanned, her own robotic jaw making a similar sound to the one from the shadows as she spoke. "I suppose... we simply do nothing at this point? Astraia is practically destroyed. Mother and Father are dead. All... is without hope." A small frown coloured Savitri's face, and she hugged her pearl closer, worry clear in her eyes. Annabel appeared just as scared, the mechanical parts of her wings practically clattering with anxiety. AegisFang was the only one that seemed unaffected. The old, beaten-down warrior simply straightened his stance and scraped his metal claws against the rock beneath his feet. "No," he growled. "We stand our ground. Savitri, light our way. Vitis, you will search for any survivors, and Annabel, you will learn to fight as valiantly as your brother did. Astraia does not fall in silence." A nod of confirmation from each of them, and the battle-weary elder charged forward into the darkness with a guttural roar, the other three dragons close on his tail and Savitri illuminating the night with her red magic. [/font][/size] ----- [size=5][font=gabriola]When the dawn came, the only sound that filled the cave was soft, mechanical whirring, and the red that stained the rocks did not come from Savitri's magic. A robotic nocturne shifted out of the shadows into the light of the rising sun, its metallic surface shining dully and a twisted grin taking over its expression. Void dripped from its eyes, yet no one screamed. Astraia had faded silently into the night. [/font][/size]

27929258_350.png

AegisFang the Elder Warrior

50307214_350.png

Savitri the Healer

50561576_350.png

Vitis the Cyborg

55254487_350.png

Annabel the Inventor's Apprentice
tumblr_o87uccJtxy1tddvg0o2_500.png

AegisFang's expression darkened into a scowl, and he shifted away from the younger dragon to look at the others. "I understand," he murmured, bowing his head slightly. "I'm afraid my skills are of no help at this time. I can only hope to rescue those that are left, if there are any. You youngins know much more about these mimics than I, and my strength does little to hold them back." He turned again to fix Voidsong with a deep stare from beneath his armor. "Your fate lies within your claws. Do not worry about Clan Astraia. Rescue Shadowsong."

With a quiet squeak, Voidsong nodded and scampered over to his sister's side, next to the other survivors. Nightsong looked at him with a small, reassuring smile, and the healer tucked away her herbs in her pouch, the reddish glow that had been emanating from her claws fading into darkness. She gave a slow, decisive nod and patted Nightsong lightly on the head, before gesturing for her to go to her brother. Much to both of the nocturne's surprise, Nightsong was able to move without any trouble now, as if she had never been injured in the first place. The healer smiled with satisfaction, and the wildclaw standing nearby let out a quiet, yet gleeful cheer.

"M-Maybe we are gonna be okay, with 'Vitri's help!" she stammered, her tail furiously whipping back and forth against the ground.

The tiny fae perched on her shoulder let out a slightly robotic laugh, sounding almost condescending. "Don't be foolish, Annabel. We are lost without Bessarion," she replied monotonously. "Father was the only one that knew how to handle his robots, and now that the mimics have taken over them and... killed him... We have no way to stop them. Optimism without reason is as hopeless and depressing as a phoenix without wings." Her glass eyes flashed a bright pink as she spoke, the light quickly traveling down her veins, and Annabel jumped as if shocked.

AegisFang stomped over, his gaze somber. "Quiet, both of you," he ordered in a raspy growl. At the obedient silence, he let out a heavy sigh and turned to the two nocturnes that had been staring, wide-eyed, at the conversation. "Leave now, before we are discovered. It's only a matter of time."

Nightsong and Voidsong glanced at each other and shared a small nod. "We'll find a way to get her back," Voidsong said, a determined furrow in his expression. "Just don't die, okay?"

AegisFang chuckled softly, although he didn't sound very amused at the prospect. "I'll fight my hardest," he murmured. "Now go."

With that, the two took off into the night as their farewell, and the mood almost immediately dropped into a deeper despair.

"W-We're doomed," Annabel whined quietly, her tail twitching even faster now. "W-We're all gonna die because I never learned how to control those d-dumb robots!"

"They are not to be controlled," Vitis reminded, poking at Annabel's face with a tiny claw. "They were as alive as any of us. They have souls that only Father learned how to contain within metal."

As if on cue, a soft whirring noise sounded from the shadows of the cave they stood in, and Vitis's fins fluttered at the sound.

"The mimics," she deadpanned, her own robotic jaw making a similar sound to the one from the shadows as she spoke. "I suppose... we simply do nothing at this point? Astraia is practically destroyed. Mother and Father are dead. All... is without hope."

A small frown coloured Savitri's face, and she hugged her pearl closer, worry clear in her eyes. Annabel appeared just as scared, the mechanical parts of her wings practically clattering with anxiety.

AegisFang was the only one that seemed unaffected. The old, beaten-down warrior simply straightened his stance and scraped his metal claws against the rock beneath his feet. "No," he growled. "We stand our ground. Savitri, light our way. Vitis, you will search for any survivors, and Annabel, you will learn to fight as valiantly as your brother did. Astraia does not fall in silence."

A nod of confirmation from each of them, and the battle-weary elder charged forward into the darkness with a guttural roar, the other three dragons close on his tail and Savitri illuminating the night with her red magic.

When the dawn came, the only sound that filled the cave was soft, mechanical whirring, and the red that stained the rocks did not come from Savitri's magic. A robotic nocturne shifted out of the shadows into the light of the rising sun, its metallic surface shining dully and a twisted grin taking over its expression. Void dripped from its eyes, yet no one screamed.

Astraia had faded silently into the night.
Roach | they/it | FR+3
aroshi%20lyssa.png
[columns] [b]Verglas[/b] - The Elder[nextcol] [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48937765] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/489378/48937765_350.png[/img][/url][/columns] There was a silence for a brief moment as the spiral pursed his lips, cold eyes flicking over the young singer's features, analyzing the damage, it felt almost as if he was almost calculating whether or not he deemed Voidsong [i]worthy[/i] of providing assistance, to which the nocturne tried his best to straighten himself a little. "Status report," It was more of a demand than a question, turning away from the singer, facing instead his trio of clanmates who all seemed to tense under his gaze. [columns] [b]Felicita[/b] - The Healer's Apprentice[nextcol] [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=36553368] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/365534/36553368_350.png[/img][/url][/columns] "She'll need a little longer to fully heal, " Was the pearlcatcher's response, a softly glowing hand still on the nocturne's side as Nightsong let out an almost inaudible whimper, "Should be able to fly in a few more minutes… Although I may need to heal her brother as well after his landing." Voidsong shook his head, "That does not change the fact that we have little time available to us, Thana is more dangerous than you could imagine, and with Shadowsong in her grasp-" [columns] [b]Aen[/b] - The Sentry Captain[nextcol] [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=36827834] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/368279/36827834_350.png[/img][/url][/columns] "That doesn't change the fact that we would be smarter to have a team at full health than one that isn't," Aen interupted sharply, red cape swishing around him, "We've dealt with mimics before, they'll take advantage of any weakness they see, including [i]yours[/i], without hesitation-" "You don't think we know that?!" Voidsong snapped back indignantly, spines bristling, "We have spent our whole lives training to deal with these beasts, you have no right to treatment us like naive hatchlings! If anything [i]we[/i] should be the ones telling [i]you[/i] about what's going on!" [columns] [b]Mara[/b] - The Mimic Seeker[nextcol] [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=47990383] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/479904/47990383_350.png[/img][/url] [/columns] "Then do," Another voice came from just above the group as they craned their necks to see the lone nocturne perched in the branches of an old oak tree, with what looked like a limp mass of shadow dangling from her claws, "We're gonna need all the help we can get." ----- "So Thana must be close," Voidsong finished, flexing his newly mended wing, "Or else her influence would be weaker. And besides…" He shuddered, "This place is rife with mimic magic." "We aren't… Particularly fortunate at this time of year…" Felicita sighed, helping Nightsong to her feet, and although it looked for a brief moment like she wanted to say more, a glance in Aen's direction had her swallowing whatever story she may have told. "The past is the past," Verglas said bluntly, unfurling his wings and twisting himself into the air, "But the future is what we make of it," He turned to the singers and nodded his head, "Lead the way." ----- The usually vast and cavernous hallways of The lair ran thick with inky black sludge, forcing the party to stick close together as they blasted a pathway through, sounds of their magic barely audible even from close by. Even then, whatever ground they had gained from their endeavors was quickly reclaiming by the hissing darkness as it's tendrils reached out to snatch at their feet. There was no way to tell where they came from or how long they had been going, not even the residents could recognise it. Felicita kept close to Aen as the pair tore through hordes of half-formed familiar faces made of the stuff with blasts of magic and merciless cleaving with claws, well versed in the art of battle, even if their companions in arms were absent. Every beast they defeated was progress, although it felt like nothing as the creatures kept coming, pouring from the walls and ceilings, even with the others' aid, they were tiring, they knew it. Aen's cape meanwhile, was thriving. Every mimic cut down was more magic, more power to be absorbed, restoring life once more to the Valorous Cape. Too busy fighting the now ebbing flow of enemies, the twitches and tremors it made went unnoticed by all but one. A little too late. "The cape!" Mara yelled, diving out of the path of an axe swinging at her as she scrambled towards the sentry, "It's-" She couldn't finish her sentence as the cape flew into action, enveloping Aen's body while he let out a yell of fear, scrabbling to claw himself free from his attacker. It was little use, the cape, unfazed by its prisoner, yanked the dragon into the walls in one swift movement, consumed by the darkness. "Aen!" Felicita screeched, whipping around, "No!" She could see the wall writhing and bulging where her mate had been dragged in. He was fighting it, but it looked like he was losing. "Forget him!" Voidsong yelled, "We've got to keep moving!" "I'm not leaving without him!" She screamed back, starting to tear at the blackness, her efforts making less than a scratch as the mimics on the wall began to twist around her arms, "I can't- I-I can't…" [i]"I can't, I can't," [/i]the walls whispered back. She didn't seem to notice even as they snaked their way up to her throat, eyes brimming with tears. Verglas had to hold Mara back from intervening, kicking and screamed as tears streamed down her own face, leaving the four dragons to watch in silence as the pearlcatcher too was swallowed by the darkness. "No…" She sniffed, but didn't resist as the spiral hauled her onwards, each step leaving a thin layer of ice borne from anger even the mimics did not dare touch. The singers exchanged another glance before turning away, "We have to keep moving. Thana's close." [i]"Thana's close,"[/i] The walls mocked. [i]"Close." "Close." Come closer…[/i] Any sort of progress made immediately ground to a halt, the four dragons freezing in place at the sound of the dark and smooth, almost gloating voice piercing the dark. "Where are you, snake?!" Voidsong snarled, recognising the voice of Thana in a heartbeat, "Show yourself!" [i]"Close…" "Close…"[/i] Something shifted in the dark, a veil of mimics descending from the wall to reveal what was mere hours ago a sturdy iron door, bolted in place with thick bars and locks, now hanging limply from it's hinges, blown apart and beckoning for the dragons to enter into it's depths. "The vault…" Verglas breathed, narrowing his eyes. The singers cast the spiral a questioning gaze, "What would Thana want with that?" There was a long silence. "It's where I trapped any mimics I… couldn't destroy..." Mara whispered at last, head hung low in shame, "It's a trap. I'm sure of it." "... That may be," Nightsong frowned, "But Thana's presence is far stronger now. She waits in there." "Then we have to go in," Voidsong said resolutely, "Trap or not, we have to stop her causing anymore harm, and walking these halls is getting us nowhere." The nocturne said nothing more, barreling into the darkness. Nightsong turned to the pair, placing a claw on each of their foreheads and whispered an almost inaudible tune, gentle but powerful, "A ward," She spoke, keeping a steady gaze with them, "Pray it will not be necessary," She too then entered through the doors and vanished. Mara took a hesitant step forwards, reclaiming she was saying, "Together," She said, although it was more of a plea, only now realising that she was shaking. No. This was her duty. It always had been. Now was no different. When she didn't get a response, Mara span around, fearing to see another clanmate gonna or being consumed by the dark. Instead, Verglas still stood, almost frozen in place, his eyes closer as he murmured some impossible to decipher words, claws gripping the ground tightly as ice would its way across the floor. "Verglas?" He barely seemed to have heard her. "Verglas?" She tried again, placing a claw on his shoulder. "Do you know what 'Thana' means?" The spiral spoke without even opening his eyes. When Mara did not respond immediately, he continued, "It means death." Verglas opened his eyes, and the nocturne could see the fear welling up in their ice blue depths, something completely foreign to the seemingly unshakable mage. It scared her. She squeezed his shoulder reassuringly, ignoring the layer of frost now coating it, "What's in a name?" "A lot more than you could ever know." The two stepped into the black maw awaiting them, no sooner having done so, when the vault doors snapped shut behind them, swallowing them whole.
Verglas - The Elder
48937765_350.png
There was a silence for a brief moment as the spiral pursed his lips, cold eyes flicking over the young singer's features, analyzing the damage, it felt almost as if he was almost calculating whether or not he deemed Voidsong worthy of providing assistance, to which the nocturne tried his best to straighten himself a little.

"Status report," It was more of a demand than a question, turning away from the singer, facing instead his trio of clanmates who all seemed to tense under his gaze.
Felicita - The Healer's Apprentice
36553368_350.png
"She'll need a little longer to fully heal, " Was the pearlcatcher's response, a softly glowing hand still on the nocturne's side as Nightsong let out an almost inaudible whimper, "Should be able to fly in a few more minutes… Although I may need to heal her brother as well after his landing."

Voidsong shook his head, "That does not change the fact that we have little time available to us, Thana is more dangerous than you could imagine, and with Shadowsong in her grasp-"
Aen - The Sentry Captain
36827834_350.png
"That doesn't change the fact that we would be smarter to have a team at full health than one that isn't," Aen interupted sharply, red cape swishing around him, "We've dealt with mimics before, they'll take advantage of any weakness they see, including yours, without hesitation-"

"You don't think we know that?!" Voidsong snapped back indignantly, spines bristling, "We have spent our whole lives training to deal with these beasts, you have no right to treatment us like naive hatchlings! If anything we should be the ones telling you about what's going on!"
Mara - The Mimic Seeker
47990383_350.png

"Then do," Another voice came from just above the group as they craned their necks to see the lone nocturne perched in the branches of an old oak tree, with what looked like a limp mass of shadow dangling from her claws, "We're gonna need all the help we can get."
"So Thana must be close," Voidsong finished, flexing his newly mended wing, "Or else her influence would be weaker. And besides…" He shuddered, "This place is rife with mimic magic."

"We aren't… Particularly fortunate at this time of year…" Felicita sighed, helping Nightsong to her feet, and although it looked for a brief moment like she wanted to say more, a glance in Aen's direction had her swallowing whatever story she may have told.

"The past is the past," Verglas said bluntly, unfurling his wings and twisting himself into the air, "But the future is what we make of it," He turned to the singers and nodded his head, "Lead the way."
The usually vast and cavernous hallways of The lair ran thick with inky black sludge, forcing the party to stick close together as they blasted a pathway through, sounds of their magic barely audible even from close by.

Even then, whatever ground they had gained from their endeavors was quickly reclaiming by the hissing darkness as it's tendrils reached out to snatch at their feet. There was no way to tell where they came from or how long they had been going, not even the residents could recognise it.

Felicita kept close to Aen as the pair tore through hordes of half-formed familiar faces made of the stuff with blasts of magic and merciless cleaving with claws, well versed in the art of battle, even if their companions in arms were absent.

Every beast they defeated was progress, although it felt like nothing as the creatures kept coming, pouring from the walls and ceilings, even with the others' aid, they were tiring, they knew it.

Aen's cape meanwhile, was thriving. Every mimic cut down was more magic, more power to be absorbed, restoring life once more to the Valorous Cape. Too busy fighting the now ebbing flow of enemies, the twitches and tremors it made went unnoticed by all but one.

A little too late.

"The cape!" Mara yelled, diving out of the path of an axe swinging at her as she scrambled towards the sentry, "It's-"

She couldn't finish her sentence as the cape flew into action, enveloping Aen's body while he let out a yell of fear, scrabbling to claw himself free from his attacker. It was little use, the cape, unfazed by its prisoner, yanked the dragon into the walls in one swift movement, consumed by the darkness.

"Aen!" Felicita screeched, whipping around, "No!" She could see the wall writhing and bulging where her mate had been dragged in. He was fighting it, but it looked like he was losing.

"Forget him!" Voidsong yelled, "We've got to keep moving!"

"I'm not leaving without him!" She screamed back, starting to tear at the blackness, her efforts making less than a scratch as the mimics on the wall began to twist around her arms, "I can't- I-I can't…"

"I can't, I can't," the walls whispered back. She didn't seem to notice even as they snaked their way up to her throat, eyes brimming with tears.

Verglas had to hold Mara back from intervening, kicking and screamed as tears streamed down her own face, leaving the four dragons to watch in silence as the pearlcatcher too was swallowed by the darkness.

"No…" She sniffed, but didn't resist as the spiral hauled her onwards, each step leaving a thin layer of ice borne from anger even the mimics did not dare touch.

The singers exchanged another glance before turning away, "We have to keep moving. Thana's close."

"Thana's close," The walls mocked.

"Close."

"Close."

Come closer…

Any sort of progress made immediately ground to a halt, the four dragons freezing in place at the sound of the dark and smooth, almost gloating voice piercing the dark.

"Where are you, snake?!" Voidsong snarled, recognising the voice of Thana in a heartbeat, "Show yourself!"

"Close…"

"Close…"

Something shifted in the dark, a veil of mimics descending from the wall to reveal what was mere hours ago a sturdy iron door, bolted in place with thick bars and locks, now hanging limply from it's hinges, blown apart and beckoning for the dragons to enter into it's depths.

"The vault…" Verglas breathed, narrowing his eyes.

The singers cast the spiral a questioning gaze, "What would Thana want with that?"

There was a long silence.

"It's where I trapped any mimics I… couldn't destroy..." Mara whispered at last, head hung low in shame, "It's a trap. I'm sure of it."

"... That may be," Nightsong frowned, "But Thana's presence is far stronger now. She waits in there."

"Then we have to go in," Voidsong said resolutely, "Trap or not, we have to stop her causing anymore harm, and walking these halls is getting us nowhere."

The nocturne said nothing more, barreling into the darkness.

Nightsong turned to the pair, placing a claw on each of their foreheads and whispered an almost inaudible tune, gentle but powerful, "A ward," She spoke, keeping a steady gaze with them, "Pray it will not be necessary," She too then entered through the doors and vanished.

Mara took a hesitant step forwards, reclaiming she was saying, "Together," She said, although it was more of a plea, only now realising that she was shaking. No. This was her duty. It always had been. Now was no different.

When she didn't get a response, Mara span around, fearing to see another clanmate gonna or being consumed by the dark. Instead, Verglas still stood, almost frozen in place, his eyes closer as he murmured some impossible to decipher words, claws gripping the ground tightly as ice would its way across the floor.

"Verglas?"

He barely seemed to have heard her.

"Verglas?" She tried again, placing a claw on his shoulder.

"Do you know what 'Thana' means?" The spiral spoke without even opening his eyes. When Mara did not respond immediately, he continued, "It means death."

Verglas opened his eyes, and the nocturne could see the fear welling up in their ice blue depths, something completely foreign to the seemingly unshakable mage. It scared her.

She squeezed his shoulder reassuringly, ignoring the layer of frost now coating it, "What's in a name?"

"A lot more than you could ever know."

The two stepped into the black maw awaiting them, no sooner having done so, when the vault doors snapped shut behind them, swallowing them whole.
FR time +8
[url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=46698290] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/466983/46698290_350.png[/img] [/url] Lucian, the [b]Elder[/b]. Standing beneath his great wings gives the same sense of standing in an old growth forest, under the dark understory. He smells of damp earth and moss and caries within him the magic of growth and change. He himself looks ageless, both ancient and young all at once. Though he claims to be young, he knows more of the world than any but the most ancient of dragons should know, and often speaks of old and forgotten events as if he remembers them, or lived them himself. [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=24313744] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/243138/24313744_350.png[/img] [/url] Lusima, the [b]healer’s apprentice[/b]. Lusima has always had a strange power to calm troubles of the mind with a word or a touch. A gentle soul, and natural empath, she has always been drawn to those around her suffering from any distress and known the cause. As she grew from hatchling to dragon, her healing touch grew stronger as well, and she found she could heal small injuries with the gentle stroke of a clawed hand. Her passion for helping others has only grown over the years, and seeking to augment her natural magics and further her ability to heal others, Lusima took an apprenticeship under the clan botanist and madicinemaker, Aconite. Her presence is heralded by the gentle chime of bells she wears on her tail, bringing comfort to all who hear. [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=29362256] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/293623/29362256_350.png[/img] [/url] Shiva, the [b]General[/b]. Shiva is a powerful and well respected warrior and protector among the clan. Having suffered at the hands of the mimics the previous year, she is well aware of the dangers they present, and is more determined than ever to protect her clan and repent for the grave damage she inflicted while under mimic control. She feels a great debt of gratitude to Shadowsong for saving her from her and her clanmates from the mimics, and knows that if her clan is to be saved again, Shadowsong must be there to aid in doing so. [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=24429133] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/244292/24429133_350.png[/img] [/url] Chaos, the [b]MagicEater[/b]. Chaos was blessed, or cursed, with the power to drain Magic from the surrounding area and unsuspecting dragons and beastclan members. This power is so powerful, that she may abstain from food in favor of magic. As such, she is almost immune to magical attacks, as the power contained in the attack must be overwhelmingly strong to overwhelm her ability to absorb it. Many believe her to be cursed or Shade-touched, and avoid her presence and touch out of fear. Kali, the clan’s leader and High Priestess, found value in her ability and offered her a safe and accepting home. Over the years, Chaos has proven herself a loyal member of the clan, and gained friends among its ranks. Though she still has no answers at to how or why she was given this strange power, she continues to search, and has determined to use them in service to her clan and family. ______________________________________________________ “I have heard that name before,” spoke the great imperial, whose claws still gently clasped the young nocturne by the shoulders. His voice rumbled like the crash of a tree falling among its brethren in the forest. “though not for a great many years now.” Hi lowered his head, bringing hone great eye around to meet those of Voidsong. “You are certain it is her?” Voidsong trembled in the giant’s gentle grasp. “Yes.” We have been tracking her all night. Nightsong and I were chosen by Shadowsong specifically for this task….” The young noctune’s voice broke as the weight of the past few moment’s events settled on his shoulders. “Be at ease, friend. We will help you to rescue your mentor, but first, you must regain your health. We will need all our strength this night if we are to have any hope of surviving and saving our loved ones.” Voidsong looked into the cold and piercing eyes of a Nocturne. Despite the chaos of the night, her gaze was steady and determined, and her manner calm and collected. Voidsong felt himself calm at the sound of her confident voice and nodded. “You have our thanks, …?” “You may call me Shiva. I and our clan have a debt of gratitude to repay to your mentor. She saved us all this year past. We know the power of her spells, and that our own magics are not enough to defeat the mimics. It seems we again are allies this night.” “Void, are you allright?” Voidsong looked over to see his sister standing before him, the picture of health. A coatl approached him. She seemed almost glowing with a warm, inner light, and her gentle voice harmonized with the soft chiming of the bells on her tail. He felt a warmth and calm spread through him as she placed a careful hand on his head. It smelled pungent with herbs and flowers. His aches disappeared, and he felt his strength return. “That should do it.” Said Lusima. She turned and bowed her head toward a skydancer, hanging back among the shadows, keeping her distance. Voidsong’s eyes narrowed. “Why do you keep your distance stranger? Are you a mimic as well?” The skydancer’s tail lashed angrily as the elder curled his tail around, forming a barrier between nocturne and skydancer. “Easy now young ones. We must keep our heads this night especially. He meant no offence, Lady Chaos. He is understandably cautious after the events of this evening.” The skydancer sighed and relaxed her stance, letting her gaze fall on the two young singers. “Our Lady Chaos is no mimic.” the elder said, looking down at the nocturnes. Hi shifted his weight, and his wings rustled like the branches of old oaks in a strong wind. The shadows seemed to gather beneath them, and the group was surrounded by the rich scent of earth. “She has certain gifts of her own, young singers, and was keeping a respectful distance, so as not to interfere in your healing.” The coatl nodded. “Chaos is a friend to us all, and means us no harm.” The skydancer approached slowly and silently, closing the distance between herself and the rest of the group. Voidsong and Nightsong met eachother’s eyes, relaxing as she came withing range. They sensed to mimic’s essence. “Our apologies, Lady skydancer.” Nightsong spoke up and bowed her head apologetically. “We are on edge. We have not been without the guidance of our mentor for many years. We meant no offense.” The skydancer blinked slowly, giving only the slightest inclination of her head then glided past them toward the third nocturne of the party, past offenses apparently forgotten. “General, how would you like to proceed?” Shiva replied without taking her eyes off the mouth of the cave leading into their lair. Her blade was drawn, and her stance ready. Her mind had begun working out a battle strategy the moment Shadwosong had disappeared with her captors. “Our ability to find this Thana depends upon those two. After that, your role will be imperative in the battle ahead. Are you ready?” The skydancer flexed her toes, digging her claws into the ground beneath her. “These abominations dared to attack my home and family. I will not allow that to stand.” The Noctorne nodded. “Gather round, and listen closely everyone….” __________________________________________________________

46698290_350.png

Lucian, the Elder. Standing beneath his great wings gives the same sense of standing in an old growth forest, under the dark understory. He smells of damp earth and moss and caries within him the magic of growth and change. He himself looks ageless, both ancient and young all at once. Though he claims to be young, he knows more of the world than any but the most ancient of dragons should know, and often speaks of old and forgotten events as if he remembers them, or lived them himself.

24313744_350.png

Lusima, the healer’s apprentice. Lusima has always had a strange power to calm troubles of the mind with a word or a touch. A gentle soul, and natural empath, she has always been drawn to those around her suffering from any distress and known the cause. As she grew from hatchling to dragon, her healing touch grew stronger as well, and she found she could heal small injuries with the gentle stroke of a clawed hand. Her passion for helping others has only grown over the years, and seeking to augment her natural magics and further her ability to heal others, Lusima took an apprenticeship under the clan botanist and madicinemaker, Aconite. Her presence is heralded by the gentle chime of bells she wears on her tail, bringing comfort to all who hear.

29362256_350.png

Shiva, the General. Shiva is a powerful and well respected warrior and protector among the clan. Having suffered at the hands of the mimics the previous year, she is well aware of the dangers they present, and is more determined than ever to protect her clan and repent for the grave damage she inflicted while under mimic control. She feels a great debt of gratitude to Shadowsong for saving her from her and her clanmates from the mimics, and knows that if her clan is to be saved again, Shadowsong must be there to aid in doing so.

24429133_350.png

Chaos, the MagicEater. Chaos was blessed, or cursed, with the power to drain Magic from the surrounding area and unsuspecting dragons and beastclan members. This power is so powerful, that she may abstain from food in favor of magic. As such, she is almost immune to magical attacks, as the power contained in the attack must be overwhelmingly strong to overwhelm her ability to absorb it. Many believe her to be cursed or Shade-touched, and avoid her presence and touch out of fear. Kali, the clan’s leader and High Priestess, found value in her ability and offered her a safe and accepting home. Over the years, Chaos has proven herself a loyal member of the clan, and gained friends among its ranks. Though she still has no answers at to how or why she was given this strange power, she continues to search, and has determined to use them in service to her clan and family.

“I have heard that name before,” spoke the great imperial, whose claws still gently clasped the young nocturne by the shoulders. His voice rumbled like the crash of a tree falling among its brethren in the forest. “though not for a great many years now.” Hi lowered his head, bringing hone great eye around to meet those of Voidsong. “You are certain it is her?”

Voidsong trembled in the giant’s gentle grasp. “Yes.” We have been tracking her all night. Nightsong and I were chosen by Shadowsong specifically for this task….” The young noctune’s voice broke as the weight of the past few moment’s events settled on his shoulders.

“Be at ease, friend. We will help you to rescue your mentor, but first, you must regain your health. We will need all our strength this night if we are to have any hope of surviving and saving our loved ones.” Voidsong looked into the cold and piercing eyes of a Nocturne. Despite the chaos of the night, her gaze was steady and determined, and her manner calm and collected.

Voidsong felt himself calm at the sound of her confident voice and nodded. “You have our thanks, …?”

“You may call me Shiva. I and our clan have a debt of gratitude to repay to your mentor. She saved us all this year past. We know the power of her spells, and that our own magics are not enough to defeat the mimics. It seems we again are allies this night.”

“Void, are you allright?” Voidsong looked over to see his sister standing before him, the picture of health.

A coatl approached him. She seemed almost glowing with a warm, inner light, and her gentle voice harmonized with the soft chiming of the bells on her tail. He felt a warmth and calm spread through him as she placed a careful hand on his head. It smelled pungent with herbs and flowers. His aches disappeared, and he felt his strength return. “That should do it.” Said Lusima. She turned and bowed her head toward a skydancer, hanging back among the shadows, keeping her distance. Voidsong’s eyes narrowed.

“Why do you keep your distance stranger? Are you a mimic as well?”

The skydancer’s tail lashed angrily as the elder curled his tail around, forming a barrier between nocturne and skydancer. “Easy now young ones. We must keep our heads this night especially. He meant no offence, Lady Chaos. He is understandably cautious after the events of this evening.” The skydancer sighed and relaxed her stance, letting her gaze fall on the two young singers. “Our Lady Chaos is no mimic.” the elder said, looking down at the nocturnes. Hi shifted his weight, and his wings rustled like the branches of old oaks in a strong wind. The shadows seemed to gather beneath them, and the group was surrounded by the rich scent of earth. “She has certain gifts of her own, young singers, and was keeping a respectful distance, so as not to interfere in your healing.”

The coatl nodded. “Chaos is a friend to us all, and means us no harm.” The skydancer approached slowly and silently, closing the distance between herself and the rest of the group.

Voidsong and Nightsong met eachother’s eyes, relaxing as she came withing range. They sensed to mimic’s essence. “Our apologies, Lady skydancer.” Nightsong spoke up and bowed her head apologetically. “We are on edge. We have not been without the guidance of our mentor for many years. We meant no offense.”

The skydancer blinked slowly, giving only the slightest inclination of her head then glided past them toward the third nocturne of the party, past offenses apparently forgotten. “General, how would you like to proceed?”

Shiva replied without taking her eyes off the mouth of the cave leading into their lair. Her blade was drawn, and her stance ready. Her mind had begun working out a battle strategy the moment Shadwosong had disappeared with her captors. “Our ability to find this Thana depends upon those two. After that, your role will be imperative in the battle ahead. Are you ready?” The skydancer flexed her toes, digging her claws into the ground beneath her.

“These abominations dared to attack my home and family. I will not allow that to stand.” The Noctorne nodded. “Gather round, and listen closely everyone….”

tumblr_o2vpc7gNFH1tyuk3oo1_500.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7