Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | hEL p
im trying to get better at shading, does anyone have tips for lighting and rendering? i use procreate, and was hoping someone knew a good free brush to use for blending, shadows, etc. it'd be really helpful if so! :>
im trying to get better at shading, does anyone have tips for lighting and rendering? i use procreate, and was hoping someone knew a good free brush to use for blending, shadows, etc. it'd be really helpful if so! :>
avvguL8.png21HPBC6.pngEBhPDIs.gif
okay so the best advice i have is to draw like

a lil lightblub/sun as a vantage point for where light hits in ur drawing

i dont use procreate,, but on ibis theres a multiply layer,, using purple to shade on multiplier is a tip i have received a bunch (and have yet to try)

so yes i hope this helps,, even a lil :]
okay so the best advice i have is to draw like

a lil lightblub/sun as a vantage point for where light hits in ur drawing

i dont use procreate,, but on ibis theres a multiply layer,, using purple to shade on multiplier is a tip i have received a bunch (and have yet to try)

so yes i hope this helps,, even a lil :]
UXZITgr.pnggC4M6ke.pngbYt72YT.pngY3tHz6g.pngmlHpBMC.png5hF3FGk.pngrix3ppo.pngnoHmDvU.png
I found this REALLY GOOD post quite a while ago and it massively improved how my shading looks. Highly recommend trying it out, it makes stuff look so much richer than if you just use an overlay of black/gray. [img]https://i.redd.it/2yfuev8v3bi61.jpg[/img] As for brushes, I also use Procreate, and personally moorilla is one of my favorite brushes for rendering. I haven't bothered to learn how to download usermade brushes, so it's just one of the brushes that comes with the app. It should be in the "Drawing" subsection. It has really good texture, has subtle color variations, and plays well with pressure sensitivity. I rarely blend, I kinda just keep going over the spot I want to "blend" with slightly different colors to create a painterly gradient, but when I do blend, moorilla is usually what I use as well.
I found this REALLY GOOD post quite a while ago and it massively improved how my shading looks. Highly recommend trying it out, it makes stuff look so much richer than if you just use an overlay of black/gray.

2yfuev8v3bi61.jpg

As for brushes, I also use Procreate, and personally moorilla is one of my favorite brushes for rendering. I haven't bothered to learn how to download usermade brushes, so it's just one of the brushes that comes with the app. It should be in the "Drawing" subsection. It has really good texture, has subtle color variations, and plays well with pressure sensitivity. I rarely blend, I kinda just keep going over the spot I want to "blend" with slightly different colors to create a painterly gradient, but when I do blend, moorilla is usually what I use as well.
> My tumblr
> My AO3
X
An angry-looking night elf woman with short green hair and a burn scar on her left cheek, looking to the viewer's right.A night elf woman with purple facial tattoos and purple hair, looking at the viewer with a confident smirk.
she/her | 18+ | FR+2 | brain full of night elves
>> Avatar
>> I love pings!
>> PixelZ, not PixelS!
xxxdont%20feed%20the%20ai.gif
@a0NRSId @DeathbyPixelz THANK YOU SO MUCH THESE ARE VERY USEFUL :D
@a0NRSId @DeathbyPixelz THANK YOU SO MUCH THESE ARE VERY USEFUL :D
avvguL8.png21HPBC6.pngEBhPDIs.gif
Something else to note regarding the colored shadows: while yes, to all that and never use pure grey/black as shadows, you also need to take the ambience lighting into account.

When there's a very strong say blue light source only you won't find red shadows in there but variations of blue and maybe purple depending on the base color and shade of lighting, same for any other color.

There's also this thing called bounce light which is the reflected light that bounces around and slightly lights parts not reached by the direct light source in your piece.

There are also some pretty good videos on youtube in which all the lighting stuff is explained in more detail, maybe you can look some of those up as well :)
Something else to note regarding the colored shadows: while yes, to all that and never use pure grey/black as shadows, you also need to take the ambience lighting into account.

When there's a very strong say blue light source only you won't find red shadows in there but variations of blue and maybe purple depending on the base color and shade of lighting, same for any other color.

There's also this thing called bounce light which is the reflected light that bounces around and slightly lights parts not reached by the direct light source in your piece.

There are also some pretty good videos on youtube in which all the lighting stuff is explained in more detail, maybe you can look some of those up as well :)
3d0f9ea7ae3316ba4e3a56f0ea9d9a3dbd6ee080.png
My favorite brush to shade/blend with on Procreate is peppermint, but it's my favorite brush an I use it for almost everything lol! It's the closest thing to grapite :>

As far as shading goes, all of the color advice here is spot on! I would also suggest practicing through studies. Your phone is your best friend in getting reference photos from every day life, but you can also use free image sites. I've seen Unsplash an Pixabay pop up as good sites to use for real life images!

The fastest way I've gotten better at shading is speed painting from a reference. So I draw like three or four boxes in a new Procreate file and then challenge myself to paint the reference photo in each box in a set time. Usually I do 10 minutes for the first two, then 15 for the last one. It's fun to see your progress by the last box. Good luck, you've got this!
My favorite brush to shade/blend with on Procreate is peppermint, but it's my favorite brush an I use it for almost everything lol! It's the closest thing to grapite :>

As far as shading goes, all of the color advice here is spot on! I would also suggest practicing through studies. Your phone is your best friend in getting reference photos from every day life, but you can also use free image sites. I've seen Unsplash an Pixabay pop up as good sites to use for real life images!

The fastest way I've gotten better at shading is speed painting from a reference. So I draw like three or four boxes in a new Procreate file and then challenge myself to paint the reference photo in each box in a set time. Usually I do 10 minutes for the first two, then 15 for the last one. It's fun to see your progress by the last box. Good luck, you've got this!
im3-l.png
tn0RSo5.pngk7mTvIf.png
YMPbu9R.png
PoisonedPaper's Art Assets!