Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Two Brothers [Short Story]
Before you were born, before our Conquest had risen, there were two brothers.

One brother, Tooth, was sly and weak, always undermining the other brother, Claw, who was strong and dim-witted.

One night, the two brothers had set up camp, and Tooth turned to his brother, Claw, asking, “Claw, would you perhaps set up the tent?”

Claw, unsure about this request, after all he had already done for Tooth, questioned, “But why should I do the work for you when you’ve done naught for me?”

Tooth scratched his chin and looked to the stars, before turning back and replying, “If you do it, you’ll grow stronger from the work.”

Claw had already done this many times before, told that it’d make him strong many times before. “But you’ve said this all before again and again! You’ve always said it’ll make me stronger, what have I to gain from this again?”

Tooth tilted his head, and said, “Well, if you’ve gained nothing, you must be rather weak, then!”

Claw paused, knowing he wasn’t weak, and never wanting to admit it if he were. “Hmph… perhaps I shall set up the tent for us.”

The brothers went to sleep in their tent under the darkened sky beside the fire, and only one woke up with work to do.

Claw extinguished the fire, undid the tent, and went out to hunt.

Tooth said that Claw was strong enough, that Claw was growing stronger, and that Claw should be proud for all of his work.

Later, Claw had brought back a hunt, and Tooth said, “I’m certain you need not eat much of it; it’ll do you good to get used to scarcity in these lands!” And proceeded to devour most of the kill.

The next day, the brothers were traveling together when a group of wretched nature dragons ambushed them from the bushes!

If there was one thing which Tooth knew, it was that when running away, you didn’t need to be fast, just faster than the one you’re with.

And so, Tooth began to run away from the enemies, and Claw, tired from hunger, could not run so far, and was eaten alive by the equally hungry and twice as vicious naturelings, who ate him from the tail up so he’d be able to scream for as long as possible.

Tooth laughed at his brother as he ran away from the scene, but soon found his unused legs swiftly sore and his untrained breath suddenly shallow.

Out of breath, the smaller brother could not run for any longer, and tripped on the rocks.

The nature dragons had then descended upon him as well, bringing him to the same fate as Claw.

Solely relying on might is foolish, and cunning is quite useful, but a lazy weakling never prospers nonetheless, no matter the mind.
Before you were born, before our Conquest had risen, there were two brothers.

One brother, Tooth, was sly and weak, always undermining the other brother, Claw, who was strong and dim-witted.

One night, the two brothers had set up camp, and Tooth turned to his brother, Claw, asking, “Claw, would you perhaps set up the tent?”

Claw, unsure about this request, after all he had already done for Tooth, questioned, “But why should I do the work for you when you’ve done naught for me?”

Tooth scratched his chin and looked to the stars, before turning back and replying, “If you do it, you’ll grow stronger from the work.”

Claw had already done this many times before, told that it’d make him strong many times before. “But you’ve said this all before again and again! You’ve always said it’ll make me stronger, what have I to gain from this again?”

Tooth tilted his head, and said, “Well, if you’ve gained nothing, you must be rather weak, then!”

Claw paused, knowing he wasn’t weak, and never wanting to admit it if he were. “Hmph… perhaps I shall set up the tent for us.”

The brothers went to sleep in their tent under the darkened sky beside the fire, and only one woke up with work to do.

Claw extinguished the fire, undid the tent, and went out to hunt.

Tooth said that Claw was strong enough, that Claw was growing stronger, and that Claw should be proud for all of his work.

Later, Claw had brought back a hunt, and Tooth said, “I’m certain you need not eat much of it; it’ll do you good to get used to scarcity in these lands!” And proceeded to devour most of the kill.

The next day, the brothers were traveling together when a group of wretched nature dragons ambushed them from the bushes!

If there was one thing which Tooth knew, it was that when running away, you didn’t need to be fast, just faster than the one you’re with.

And so, Tooth began to run away from the enemies, and Claw, tired from hunger, could not run so far, and was eaten alive by the equally hungry and twice as vicious naturelings, who ate him from the tail up so he’d be able to scream for as long as possible.

Tooth laughed at his brother as he ran away from the scene, but soon found his unused legs swiftly sore and his untrained breath suddenly shallow.

Out of breath, the smaller brother could not run for any longer, and tripped on the rocks.

The nature dragons had then descended upon him as well, bringing him to the same fate as Claw.

Solely relying on might is foolish, and cunning is quite useful, but a lazy weakling never prospers nonetheless, no matter the mind.