Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | terrible, unfinished art dump-needs help
Hi there, I just drew something recently. I may not have time to finish them, but I think I should share them here for recording and advice.

I'm still figuring out how to draw and use photoshop so any help on them are appreciated. I'm also in desperate need of animal anatomy and shading references :P

If your suggestions are useful I'll probably give you some tips, or maybe give you a small doodle (lol only when my drawings are good enough)? I know this is very subjective, but I'm grateful if anyone can help.

Anyway, I will post my terrible doodles below. If there are too many posts I may put my most recent piece of work on the first post here.

(I do have a Deviantart account...but I rarely use it now since I haven't been drawing for a long time and I don't have any finished drawings to post there, plus eclipse is terrible, seriously)
Hi there, I just drew something recently. I may not have time to finish them, but I think I should share them here for recording and advice.

I'm still figuring out how to draw and use photoshop so any help on them are appreciated. I'm also in desperate need of animal anatomy and shading references :P

If your suggestions are useful I'll probably give you some tips, or maybe give you a small doodle (lol only when my drawings are good enough)? I know this is very subjective, but I'm grateful if anyone can help.

Anyway, I will post my terrible doodles below. If there are too many posts I may put my most recent piece of work on the first post here.

(I do have a Deviantart account...but I rarely use it now since I haven't been drawing for a long time and I don't have any finished drawings to post there, plus eclipse is terrible, seriously)
75856832_9sBxA4iUd1AonqV.png75859474_H8E96w668c3tuzT.png :D "vostok", fr+3
22, still a student, stupid young idiot

I hate talking irl so what I wrote might not make sense sorry
[s]This is byfar my most recent piece[/s], done in "draw the dragon above you" thread. Drew this rather fast, pretty crude and I see there are a lot of problems, when I can make time out of my studies I may improve it then. I know, the brightness of the colors breaks the overall lighting relations...I may try to use another photoshop layer option later. And I drew this obelisk based on a tiger...I really need anatomy practices and draw more dragons from the front. [url=https://postimg.cc/2LpVFhwc][img]https://i.postimg.cc/SRRC4Gzh/obeliskcolor2-5.png[/img][/url]
This is byfar my most recent piece, done in "draw the dragon above you" thread.
Drew this rather fast, pretty crude and I see there are a lot of problems, when I can make time out of my studies I may improve it then.

I know, the brightness of the colors breaks the overall lighting relations...I may try to use another photoshop layer option later.
And I drew this obelisk based on a tiger...I really need anatomy practices and draw more dragons from the front.
obeliskcolor2-5.png

Sketched my design idea for an oc named Volatilis several days ago, she's my newest oc but she reused many of my old dragonsona's design elements. This loweffort sketch took me HOURS darn I hate lineart She has unusually long fore limbs due to her voluntary participation in body modification...I know my anatomy is terible I can't express it. [url=https://postimg.cc/RNTJsphx][img]https://i.postimg.cc/TYzjPZX1/oc2-5.png[/img][/url] Ah and she's a soldier and won't hesitate to strike an energy beam through your head if you intrudes. But all she wants to do is do the best to the fellow soldiers and civilians of her group and get his elder brother back.
Sketched my design idea for an oc named Volatilis several days ago, she's my newest oc but she reused many of my old dragonsona's design elements.

This loweffort sketch took me HOURS darn I hate lineart

She has unusually long fore limbs due to her voluntary participation in body modification...I know my anatomy is terible I can't express it.
oc2-5.png
Ah and she's a soldier and won't hesitate to strike an energy beam through your head if you intrudes. But all she wants to do is do the best to the fellow soldiers and civilians of her group and get his elder brother back.

My dragonsona, Tiechi my beloved [url=https://postimg.cc/VdMPm2M2][img]https://i.postimg.cc/WbYN6v4p/front4.png[/img][/url] ^this is still a wip and especially needs a lot of yellow highlights. Looks very similiar to my drawing of an obelisk above, since she's also based on a lion and I used same reference pictures to draw the two dragons. [img]https://i.postimg.cc/Pr0p2612/tiechi-Idea.png[/img] ^the moment I want to redesign her, made her fur more curly and gave her horizontal pupils on experience, and I knida like it? :P [img]https://i.postimg.cc/zBHKxdfV/alt.png[/img] ^a pretty old mspaint mouse drawing done two years ago. The majority of her body's designs haven't changed a lot.
My dragonsona, Tiechi my beloved
front4.png
^this is still a wip and especially needs a lot of yellow highlights. Looks very similiar to my drawing of an obelisk above, since she's also based on a lion and I used same reference pictures to draw the two dragons.

tiechi-Idea.png
^the moment I want to redesign her, made her fur more curly and gave her horizontal pupils on experience, and I knida like it? :P

alt.png
^a pretty old mspaint mouse drawing done two years ago. The majority of her body's designs haven't changed a lot.

Also done on draw the dragon above you several months ago, at that time I had even less knowledge of photoshop and I wasted a lot of time on trivial things, so I failed to finish it and didn't ping the person above...now this dragon has been exalted despite that she has a lot of art :P idk what to do now [url=https://postimg.cc/VSBPXSz6][img]https://i.postimg.cc/9fsX5TSG/coatlcolorswip.png[/img][/url]
Also done on draw the dragon above you several months ago, at that time I had even less knowledge of photoshop and I wasted a lot of time on trivial things, so I failed to finish it and didn't ping the person above...now this dragon has been exalted despite that she has a lot of art :P idk what to do now
coatlcolorswip.png

Done as an art trade, a little dessert bat creature. The design of this character is cute but I can't do it well :P [img]https://i.postimg.cc/cLXBG5jp/sweet-finalalt.png[/img]
Done as an art trade, a little dessert bat creature. The design of this character is cute but I can't do it well :P
sweet-finalalt.png

Added a little bit more details for Volatilis to provide some reference for the artist in the art trade, maybe I'll polish this some more and make this a full reference sheet, who knows I realized that she was too dark so made her colors a bit brighter to make her more visualizable I know this is in chinese lol I'll do the english version when I can do the full ref anyway I love this font from CNKI, appreciate it please [img]https://i.postimg.cc/rmK9yCWf/volatilis-Temp-ref.png[/img]
Added a little bit more details for Volatilis to provide some reference for the artist in the art trade, maybe I'll polish this some more and make this a full reference sheet, who knows

I realized that she was too dark so made her colors a bit brighter to make her more visualizable

I know this is in chinese lol I'll do the english version when I can do the full ref
anyway I love this font from CNKI, appreciate it please
volatilis-Temp-ref.png

Oh my god, your art is amazing!

It gives me pokemon and manga vibes, somehow, that desert bat is amazing and your paintery style feels very vibrant and nostalgic <3

I think your comprehension of shape and light is amazing and your obelisk portraits give me Roman Fresco vibes: they are very earthy and a little washed out and feel like an ancient pastel wall painting. You only have to add a color balance/brightness-contrast/hue-saturation layer on top of it to get a more vibrant style, but I like your current style a lot: it reminds me of sunny days and the smell of well-loved books.

I'm relatively confident in anatomy, but my coloring needs serious work instead ^^;

Personally I suggest you look at various animals but what I myself find handy to remember: Small animals generally have mainly round shapes and rounded lines (mice, robins...). Active animals are more springy and often have flowing or curled lines (cats, lemmings...). Strong animals and larger animals tend to have more rectangular shapes (cows, horses, bears, elephants...). Birds are egg shaped and tend to have a lot of triangles. No muscle is exactly angular or circular, instead it is often a rounded angular shape, therefore no silouette and line is perfectly smoothend or straightly-angular. The more fat, the more rounded the ceature of course. More skin means more droopy shapes. Large animals have smaller heads and eyes.

Watching how things move is usually important too and you likely are already doing this, but try flipping your drawing sometime halfway to spot mistakes. ^-^

Idk if this was useful, but I hope you continue creating and updatig: love your art <3

Sincerely,
Islet.
Oh my god, your art is amazing!

It gives me pokemon and manga vibes, somehow, that desert bat is amazing and your paintery style feels very vibrant and nostalgic <3

I think your comprehension of shape and light is amazing and your obelisk portraits give me Roman Fresco vibes: they are very earthy and a little washed out and feel like an ancient pastel wall painting. You only have to add a color balance/brightness-contrast/hue-saturation layer on top of it to get a more vibrant style, but I like your current style a lot: it reminds me of sunny days and the smell of well-loved books.

I'm relatively confident in anatomy, but my coloring needs serious work instead ^^;

Personally I suggest you look at various animals but what I myself find handy to remember: Small animals generally have mainly round shapes and rounded lines (mice, robins...). Active animals are more springy and often have flowing or curled lines (cats, lemmings...). Strong animals and larger animals tend to have more rectangular shapes (cows, horses, bears, elephants...). Birds are egg shaped and tend to have a lot of triangles. No muscle is exactly angular or circular, instead it is often a rounded angular shape, therefore no silouette and line is perfectly smoothend or straightly-angular. The more fat, the more rounded the ceature of course. More skin means more droopy shapes. Large animals have smaller heads and eyes.

Watching how things move is usually important too and you likely are already doing this, but try flipping your drawing sometime halfway to spot mistakes. ^-^

Idk if this was useful, but I hope you continue creating and updatig: love your art <3

Sincerely,
Islet.
Duanwu will shamelessly eat your likes. Art by celaine.
Some day, there will be art here.
Wishlist | Lore [WIP] | Gallery | Archive
G1 sales thread here.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Harvest RaffleKeikoKat's Raffe
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx