Creative Corner
Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | A Compendium of Languages [Lore]
[center][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/spo53ay6wmoqf5k/lighttop2.png[/img][/center] [center][size=6]A Tale of Tongues[/size][/center] The history of dragonkind is a saga of barter and bloodshed. Life grew from the remnants of the Third Age, molded in the image of the gods. Over millennia clans formed, alliances were forged, empires rose and fell. Daring explorers crossed the bounds of the elemental regions. Trade followed. It was under these circumstances that [b]Common[/b] came into being. Originally used by travelling merchants, it has since become the most widely-spoken language in Sornieth, with both draconic and beastclan varieties. Only the most isolated of clans do not speak it at all. Though Common is a useful tool for travellers, and a mainstay in multi-element clans, it is few dragons’ first language. [b]Hundreds more[/b] are spoken across Sornieth. Some span entire elemental regions, while others exist only in the farthest corners of the world. Languages in Sornieth form a rich tapestry, and many dragons have devoted themselves to studying those languages. [center][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/htv6w2vovxbszsi/lightmidsmall2.png[/img][/center] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/63961488][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/639615/63961488_350.png[/img][/url][/center] [b]Estellise[/b] is one such linguist. Since leaving her sheltered upbringing behind, she has travelled the world, putting together a compendium of Sornieth’s languages. [center][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/etypi97g8qkqrii/lightbottom2.png[/img][/center]
lighttop2.png
A Tale of Tongues

The history of dragonkind is a saga of barter and bloodshed. Life grew from the remnants of the Third Age, molded in the image of the gods. Over millennia clans formed, alliances were forged, empires rose and fell. Daring explorers crossed the bounds of the elemental regions. Trade followed.

It was under these circumstances that Common came into being. Originally used by travelling merchants, it has since become the most widely-spoken language in Sornieth, with both draconic and beastclan varieties. Only the most isolated of clans do not speak it at all.

Though Common is a useful tool for travellers, and a mainstay in multi-element clans, it is few dragons’ first language. Hundreds more are spoken across Sornieth. Some span entire elemental regions, while others exist only in the farthest corners of the world. Languages in Sornieth form a rich tapestry, and many dragons have devoted themselves to studying those languages.
lightmidsmall2.png
63961488_350.png

Estellise is one such linguist. Since leaving her sheltered upbringing behind, she has travelled the world, putting together a compendium of Sornieth’s languages.
lightbottom2.png
[center][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/spo53ay6wmoqf5k/lighttop2.png[/img][/center] [center][size=6]Draconic[/size][/center] [emoji=left wing size=1] [b]Common[/b]: This is the language spoken across all of Sornieth, comprised of phonemic sounds that all breeds are capable of making. It is comparatively basic, and new or complicated concepts are often expressed by mashing existing words together. [emoji=earth rune size=1] [b]Quake[/b]: Slow and rhythmic, this language places as much import on pauses as on spoken words. Non-native speakers often struggle to catch on to the pace, especially those used to a faster tongue. [emoji=fire rune size=1] [b]Ashtongue[/b]: This language of humming tones is the native tongue of coatls. While it is possible for other breeds to learn, some of its sounds must be substituted, as only coatls have the proper larynx structure to make them. [emoji=fire rune size=1] [b]Banesong[/b]: As the banescale were returned to Sornieth, so too was their language. Though it bears no particular phonetic resemblance to Ashtongue, its grammatic structure is remarkably similar. [emoji=wind rune size=1] [b]Longfeng[/b]: This melodic language is perhaps best known for its logographic script. The tones used to alter the meanings of words can be difficult to pick up on for those who didn’t grow up hearing them. [emoji=water rune size=1] [b]Atollan[/b]: One of two main languages spoken by the water flight, Atollan refers to dozens of dialects found on islands across the Sea. They are largely mutually intelligible. [emoji=water rune size=1] [b]Deepsong[/b]: While Atollan is spoken above the waves, dragons use Deepsong to communicate beneath. The language evolved to incorporate how sound travels underwater, with high-pitched squeaks and whistles for short-distance communication and deeper, bellowing notes for long-distance. It is one of the most difficult languages on Sornieth for non-native speakers to learn. [emoji=shadow rune size=1] [b]Nightwhisper[/b]: Sibilant and soft, this language is easy to learn but exceptionally tricky to master. Vocabulary is simple; double-speak and rhyming slang are not. [emoji=ice rune size=1] [b]Atiluk[/b]: Native to the harsh environs southeast of the Cloudscape Crags, the original tongue of the gaolers has survived the ages even as they retreated from the world, picked up by the hardy clans that dared settle in the lands around Reclaimer’s Glacier. [emoji=ice rune size=1] [b]Ikaala[/b]: Northwest of the Crags, Ikaala is spoken. Aspects of it can be traced back to an archaic form of Atiluk, but the less harsh conditions of the tundra region and its proximity to other elemental realms led to more cultural exchange, and Ikaala bears little resemblance to its cousin tongue. [emoji=lightning rune size=1] [b]Raambukat[/b]: Amongst the nomadic populations of the deserts, Raambukat is the most widely-spoken language. Dragons unfamiliar with the lightning flight are often surprised at how smooth and flowing the tongue is, interspersed with deep, rumbling consonants reminiscent of rolling thunder. [emoji=lightning rune size=1] [b]Lugnut Creole[/b]: This pidgin is a hodgepodge of Raambukat and Common, spoken by the industrial populations of the eastern Expanse. Though some argue that it shouldn’t count as its own language, speakers of both parent tongues will agree that it’s not particularly intelligible to them. It even has its own alphabet of blocky letters, easy to read from a distance. [emoji=light rune size=1] [b]Royal languages[/b]: The original language of the imperials, known as Royal, spread and splintered over time, evolving into several distinct tongues known as the Royal languages. [indent][emoji=gold star size=1] [b]Pharaonic[/b]: Originating from the Lanternlea area, Pharaonic is said to bear the most resemblance to its predecessor tongue of any Royal language.[/indent] [emoji=nature rune size=1] [b]Hapuuri[/b]: Of the many languages spoken throughout the Viridian Labyrinth, Hapuuri is the most widespread. Most natureborn dragons speak at least one other language, on top of Standard and Hapuuri. [emoji=plague rune size=1] [b]Rothowl[/b]: Throaty and harsh, Rothowl originated with the mirror packs of the Abiding Boneyard, allowing hunters to communicate over long distances. [emoji=arcane rune size=1] [b]IDIC[/b]: The original language of the fae was flat and monotone, with emotion indicated by crest movements. As the populations of the Starfall Isles diversified, IDIC evolved from that starting point, incorporating gestures that most breeds can make. It is a blend of sign and verbal language. [center][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/etypi97g8qkqrii/lightbottom2.png[/img][/center]
lighttop2.png
Draconic

Common: This is the language spoken across all of Sornieth, comprised of phonemic sounds that all breeds are capable of making. It is comparatively basic, and new or complicated concepts are often expressed by mashing existing words together.

Quake: Slow and rhythmic, this language places as much import on pauses as on spoken words. Non-native speakers often struggle to catch on to the pace, especially those used to a faster tongue.

Ashtongue: This language of humming tones is the native tongue of coatls. While it is possible for other breeds to learn, some of its sounds must be substituted, as only coatls have the proper larynx structure to make them.

Banesong: As the banescale were returned to Sornieth, so too was their language. Though it bears no particular phonetic resemblance to Ashtongue, its grammatic structure is remarkably similar.

Longfeng: This melodic language is perhaps best known for its logographic script. The tones used to alter the meanings of words can be difficult to pick up on for those who didn’t grow up hearing them.

Atollan: One of two main languages spoken by the water flight, Atollan refers to dozens of dialects found on islands across the Sea. They are largely mutually intelligible.

Deepsong: While Atollan is spoken above the waves, dragons use Deepsong to communicate beneath. The language evolved to incorporate how sound travels underwater, with high-pitched squeaks and whistles for short-distance communication and deeper, bellowing notes for long-distance. It is one of the most difficult languages on Sornieth for non-native speakers to learn.

Nightwhisper: Sibilant and soft, this language is easy to learn but exceptionally tricky to master. Vocabulary is simple; double-speak and rhyming slang are not.

Atiluk: Native to the harsh environs southeast of the Cloudscape Crags, the original tongue of the gaolers has survived the ages even as they retreated from the world, picked up by the hardy clans that dared settle in the lands around Reclaimer’s Glacier.

Ikaala: Northwest of the Crags, Ikaala is spoken. Aspects of it can be traced back to an archaic form of Atiluk, but the less harsh conditions of the tundra region and its proximity to other elemental realms led to more cultural exchange, and Ikaala bears little resemblance to its cousin tongue.

Raambukat: Amongst the nomadic populations of the deserts, Raambukat is the most widely-spoken language. Dragons unfamiliar with the lightning flight are often surprised at how smooth and flowing the tongue is, interspersed with deep, rumbling consonants reminiscent of rolling thunder.

Lugnut Creole: This pidgin is a hodgepodge of Raambukat and Common, spoken by the industrial populations of the eastern Expanse. Though some argue that it shouldn’t count as its own language, speakers of both parent tongues will agree that it’s not particularly intelligible to them. It even has its own alphabet of blocky letters, easy to read from a distance.

Royal languages: The original language of the imperials, known as Royal, spread and splintered over time, evolving into several distinct tongues known as the Royal languages.

Pharaonic: Originating from the Lanternlea area, Pharaonic is said to bear the most resemblance to its predecessor tongue of any Royal language.

Hapuuri: Of the many languages spoken throughout the Viridian Labyrinth, Hapuuri is the most widespread. Most natureborn dragons speak at least one other language, on top of Standard and Hapuuri.

Rothowl: Throaty and harsh, Rothowl originated with the mirror packs of the Abiding Boneyard, allowing hunters to communicate over long distances.

IDIC: The original language of the fae was flat and monotone, with emotion indicated by crest movements. As the populations of the Starfall Isles diversified, IDIC evolved from that starting point, incorporating gestures that most breeds can make. It is a blend of sign and verbal language.
lightbottom2.png
[center][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/spo53ay6wmoqf5k/lighttop2.png[/img][/center] [b]Usage[/b] Feel free to use these languages in your own lore! Credit is appreciated but not necessary; just don't claim them as your own creation, please. [center][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/htv6w2vovxbszsi/lightmidsmall2.png[/img][/center] [b]Pinglist[/b] I plan to add more languages in the future, so if anyone is interested, just let me know and I'll ping about updates! [center][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/etypi97g8qkqrii/lightbottom2.png[/img][/center]
lighttop2.png
Usage

Feel free to use these languages in your own lore! Credit is appreciated but not necessary; just don't claim them as your own creation, please.
lightmidsmall2.png
Pinglist

I plan to add more languages in the future, so if anyone is interested, just let me know and I'll ping about updates!
lightbottom2.png
reserved
reserved
id love to be added to the ping list for any updates!! this lore is so incredible :) thanks for making it ok to use
id love to be added to the ping list for any updates!! this lore is so incredible :) thanks for making it ok to use
Bear_Obelisk_Raffle.png
This is awesome thanks!
This is awesome thanks!
L9rA9OI.png MreCscM.png -She/her -Call me Deer
i completely adore this! if its alright, i'd like to be added to the pinglist!
i completely adore this! if its alright, i'd like to be added to the pinglist!
the Kingdom awaits those who wish to learn about it...
- pharaoh (she/her)
- fr +3
- i love to write! lore reqs are welcome :)
- speaking of lore...
Thank you, this is so awesome!!! :D :D I've always wondered about the languages of the realm if there were any and what they might be called & sound like :D
I have my own language that my own dragons learn upon their arrival and alongside their own that they feel comfortable with (like the ones you mention here--Common, Royal, Ashfall, IDIC, etc, depending on where they'd hail from) so that everyone can communicate easily and it might work to cross any communication barriers brought on by the fact that dragons come from several different places before settling in the SkyWings clan :) I call it Cascadian ^^) there's more on why to that too in the bio of my dragon, GoldSong, as it also ties into Lore reasons too ^^)
Thank you for the free usage, too, I might just nab this :) ^^)
How creative :D thank you again :D ^^)
Thank you, this is so awesome!!! :D :D I've always wondered about the languages of the realm if there were any and what they might be called & sound like :D
I have my own language that my own dragons learn upon their arrival and alongside their own that they feel comfortable with (like the ones you mention here--Common, Royal, Ashfall, IDIC, etc, depending on where they'd hail from) so that everyone can communicate easily and it might work to cross any communication barriers brought on by the fact that dragons come from several different places before settling in the SkyWings clan :) I call it Cascadian ^^) there's more on why to that too in the bio of my dragon, GoldSong, as it also ties into Lore reasons too ^^)
Thank you for the free usage, too, I might just nab this :) ^^)
How creative :D thank you again :D ^^)
tumblr_inline_naxjlrHYbk1qg78ij.png
oh this looks so cool!! can i be added to the pinglist?
oh this looks so cool!! can i be added to the pinglist?
my hatchery
dragon package rescue

||
||
||
||
||
||

my bio code thread
wishlist
warrior cat oc art

||