Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [lore] Lost and Found
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13
[center][font=garamond][b][size=6]Chapter Four[/size][/b] [size=5]Crystal[/center] [center][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/qnsvl4q1hbyggi5/arcanetop.png[/img][/center] [font=garamond][size=4]She came to her senses with a stinging headache. Her wings and limbs were cramping from being curled up under the roots for so long, and every muscle in her body screamed in complaint as she hauled herself out, collapsing once she could feel the gentle caress of the wind on her scales. It was official, then. She’d been kicked out from her clan. Not for the first time, Crystal idly wondered what her parents would have done. But it was no use. They were dead and gone even before she hatched. She was on her own now, but she’d been alone her whole life anyway. She’d make do with what she had. Wandering the forest, she was thankful for the soft luminescence of the trees shedding much-needed comfort whenever she stared at the sky above. With every step she took, she brushed against flowers which glowed brighter in response. Although she’d lost her safety within clan borders, Crystal had to admit that this was far more enjoyable than enduring her former clanmates’ taunts and loathing. No matter how much she tried to brush it off as just normal Coatl behaviour, it still stung. Night was falling, and when she raised her head she was stunned by what she saw. It was the first time she had ever seen the stars from below the glistening Starwood trees. The pinpricks of light far above seemed to call out, to beckon towards her, beacons of hope framed by leaves and pitch-black sky. She stopped in her tracks, enthralled. It was so beautiful. The splendour of the Starwood Strand at night filled her heart with joy, and she smiled wider than she had ever smiled in her whole short life. Her strides grew longer, faster, and she gained a skip to her step that she never knew she was capable of. She was about to settle down for the night, slightly hungry due to her inadequate hunting skills, when the bushes rustled behind her. Her head snapped up, pink eyes alert. From the undergrowth behind crept a single Tourmaline Vulstal. [center][img]https://flightrising.com/images/cms/familiar/art/1968.png[/img][/center] [font=garamond][size=4]Its orange eyes carried no malice, a foreign sight to the young Coatl. In its jaws prey was securely clamped, and it unhurriedly walked up to her and dropped the prey at her paws. It rumbled lowly, nudging the prey closer. Crystal blinked once, twice, uncomprehending, and the Vulstal huffed in what seemed like annoyance. It growled louder this time, and insistently nosed the prey. Surprised, her eyes widened as she finally understood. “You want me to eat?” The Vulstal nodded almost imperceptibly. “Alright, then.” Without a second thought, she devoured the food, and the Vulstal gave a satisfied “hrrr”, leaning back on its haunches. Licking the last traces of prey from her lips, Crystal studied the strange creature. It was unlike anything she had ever seen before, a wolf-like creature with light periwinkle crystals jutting out from its sides. Beyond all that, it was intelligent and had made the effort to bring her food. Strangely enough, she felt a sense of kinship with the wolf, beyond what she had ever had with her clanmates. She felt the beginnings of a purr rise from deep within her. [i]Thank you.[/i][/size] [center][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/nm0z9g1pkrloiln/arcanebottom.png[/img] [size=2]@Petall[/center]
Chapter Four
Crystal
arcanetop.png

She came to her senses with a stinging headache. Her wings and limbs were cramping from being curled up under the roots for so long, and every muscle in her body screamed in complaint as she hauled herself out, collapsing once she could feel the gentle caress of the wind on her scales.

It was official, then. She’d been kicked out from her clan. Not for the first time, Crystal idly wondered what her parents would have done. But it was no use. They were dead and gone even before she hatched. She was on her own now, but she’d been alone her whole life anyway. She’d make do with what she had. Wandering the forest, she was thankful for the soft luminescence of the trees shedding much-needed comfort whenever she stared at the sky above. With every step she took, she brushed against flowers which glowed brighter in response. Although she’d lost her safety within clan borders, Crystal had to admit that this was far more enjoyable than enduring her former clanmates’ taunts and loathing. No matter how much she tried to brush it off as just normal Coatl behaviour, it still stung.

Night was falling, and when she raised her head she was stunned by what she saw. It was the first time she had ever seen the stars from below the glistening Starwood trees. The pinpricks of light far above seemed to call out, to beckon towards her, beacons of hope framed by leaves and pitch-black sky. She stopped in her tracks, enthralled. It was so beautiful. The splendour of the Starwood Strand at night filled her heart with joy, and she smiled wider than she had ever smiled in her whole short life. Her strides grew longer, faster, and she gained a skip to her step that she never knew she was capable of.

She was about to settle down for the night, slightly hungry due to her inadequate hunting skills, when the bushes rustled behind her. Her head snapped up, pink eyes alert. From the undergrowth behind crept a single Tourmaline Vulstal.

1968.png

Its orange eyes carried no malice, a foreign sight to the young Coatl. In its jaws prey was securely clamped, and it unhurriedly walked up to her and dropped the prey at her paws. It rumbled lowly, nudging the prey closer. Crystal blinked once, twice, uncomprehending, and the Vulstal huffed in what seemed like annoyance. It growled louder this time, and insistently nosed the prey. Surprised, her eyes widened as she finally understood.

“You want me to eat?” The Vulstal nodded almost imperceptibly. “Alright, then.” Without a second thought, she devoured the food, and the Vulstal gave a satisfied “hrrr”, leaning back on its haunches. Licking the last traces of prey from her lips, Crystal studied the strange creature. It was unlike anything she had ever seen before, a wolf-like creature with light periwinkle crystals jutting out from its sides. Beyond all that, it was intelligent and had made the effort to bring her food. Strangely enough, she felt a sense of kinship with the wolf, beyond what she had ever had with her clanmates. She felt the beginnings of a purr rise from deep within her.

Thank you.

Tirtouga | FR +16 | she/her

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA this is so gooooood!!! I'm enjoying this story so much!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA this is so gooooood!!! I'm enjoying this story so much!!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall thank you! glad you're enjoying it :)
@Petall thank you! glad you're enjoying it :)
4tjEMFS.gif

tori • she/her • fr +16
poetry & lore | chibis
@Petall

:D glad you're enjoying it!! More is to come soon... >:)
(double ping but I couldn't just stay silent right)
@Petall

:D glad you're enjoying it!! More is to come soon... >:)
(double ping but I couldn't just stay silent right)

[center][font=Lora][size=6]Chapter Five[/size] [size=5]Silver[/size][/center] [center][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/hzvonpzcngbad5x/shadowtop2.png[/center][/img] [font=lora][size=4] It wasn’t the answer she was expecting. “Th...they abandoned me?” was all she managed to spit out. The poor Manticore Screamer felt bad for being the one to break this news to her. “I’m sorry...but sadly, it’s true. Coatls have this tradition to get rid of dull-coloured Coatls, abandoning them in the outskirts of their clan grounds. They regard them to be bad omens, carrying illnesses. But I guess...you have me to help. I...I don’t have any family left. They were taken away by the Shade. It lusts for power, and it may come for you too.” It said, with a warning glance to her. Silver nodded, suddenly feeling very lonely. The people at her birthplace kicked her out, making her homeless; all she had was a little screamer “monkey”, and now a new threat may come for her. [i]How am I to survive?[/i] “But didn’t you say you had a family before? Or - oh...” Silver started, before realising she may have hurt its feelings. The Manticore Screamer just shook its head and looked down, now with no more beetles to stress-eat with. “I lied.” It said, still looking at the dead forest floor. Silver gave a sympathetic smile, saying, “Don’t worry. I guess we have each other,” The Manticore Screamer nodded, its fiery eyes now tearing up. Silver lay back down, needing to sleep, even though she knew daytime was breaking soon, even though she had slept before this little adventure. “Does this mean I can’t go back to the Coatl clan?” Silver asked. Her new friend shook its head again, its mane now sending out tiny leaves as well. With a sigh, Silver closed her eyes, then added, “It’s fine. I don’t want them either.” [center]~~~[/center] [font=lora][size=4]When Silver awoke the next day, she found a pile of dead, grey leaves on her right side. When she brushed away a few of the leaves, she saw her little friend snoring underneath. Smiling, she gently patted its mane, waking the Manticore Screamer up. It groggily blinked its orangey eyes open, before rubbing them furiously. Then its ears perked up, and then it sat up, staring at her. “Oh! Hi Silver. We have a lot of work to do today,” it said cheerfully. Silver blinked slowly, confused. [i]What work?[/i] Sensing her confusion, the Manticore Screamer gestured around itself with its lanky arms, waving them. “You need to learn how to catch food, find a home for yourself, learn how to survive like a Coatl and - oh!” It leapt away to her right, and as Silver expected, returned with another insect; a small fly. “Sorry,” the Manticore Screamer said sheepishly, earning a chuckle from her. It offered her a bite of the insect. She backed away, shaking her head. “Uh...no thanks,” she said, feeling a bit bad. But she did have to admit however, she was hungry. After all, the last things she ate were berries. It seemed like so...so long ago. With a smile, she said, “Can we go fishing once you’re done eating your fly?” Another two insects later, Silver and her Manticore Screamer treaded through the spiny groves, her belly constantly rumbling with every step that she took. The now-becoming familiar scent of dense petrichor wafted around the pair as they made their way to the river (which the Manticore Screamer was very sure it knew where it was). Midway, Silver suddenly announced, “Can I give you a name? I can’t possibly be calling you Manticore Screamer, right?” Her friend turned to her, smiling widely. “Of course. Please do,” the Manticore Screamer replied, excited about what she was about to call him (yes he now has a gender, yay). Silver and her friend continued trudging through the dense undergrowth, with sufficient light piercing through the meagre amount of gaps between the deceased trees to guide them. Deep in thought, Silver voiced out, “How about Corey? Like Manticore, but Corey for short?” His orange-coloured eyes began to brighten as he nodded vigorously, noticeably very satisfied with his new name. It was enough for Silver to understand that he liked his new name very much. Not long later, they had reached the river. To Corey’s delight (and Silver’s amusement), he kept himself busy catching dragonflies, darting about and springing off his hind paws to snatch the many buzzing critters from the humid air around the river. The cool water caressed her paws as she dipped them into the water for the first time. She had never swum before, or even touched water. Corey returned to her after a few minutes of devouring the dragonflies, which had now visibly decreased in number around the river. The dragonflies lazily buzzed around, unaware of a predator in their midst. “Breakfast was very good,” he murmured, patting his belly. Silver laughed, appreciating the fact that she had a friend now, unlike those Coatls who betrayed her trust, banishing her from their home because of her illness-bringing coat. Corey stared hard at the bubbling waters, taking note of any signs of movement beneath the murky stream. At least by the river, there was more light due to the reduced amount of trees surrounding it. The bioluminescent fungi sprouted around the river’s edge as if they themselves were talking to the babbling waters. To Silver, the mushrooms didn’t seem that beautiful in the light as compared to in the darkness. Suddenly, Corey stuck his hands into the water, and after a short moment of scrabbling, he yanked out a small fish in his paws. Silver’s eyes lit up, watching in awe. “So that's how to fish,” she said, observing how he clasped the slippery and squirming creature between his paws. Corey dropped the wriggling creature onto the muddied ground beside him. The faint rumbling in her belly was enough to remind her that she needed to eat. “Take it, I know Coatls like seafood, fish especially,” Corey said, as if reading Silver’s uncertainty. Warily, she scooped up the mass of fish and then gobbled it down. The flavour of raw fish began blossoming around the insides of her mouth, and Silver immediately liked it. “I think you’re right,” she said between mouthfuls, smiling. “Coatls [i]love[/i] fish.”[/font][/size] [center][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ven9gmk4qi14dr5/shadowbottom2.png[/center][/img]
Chapter Five
Silver
shadowtop2.png

It wasn’t the answer she was expecting. “Th...they abandoned me?” was all she managed to spit out. The poor Manticore Screamer felt bad for being the one to break this news to her. “I’m sorry...but sadly, it’s true. Coatls have this tradition to get rid of dull-coloured Coatls, abandoning them in the outskirts of their clan grounds. They regard them to be bad omens, carrying illnesses. But I guess...you have me to help. I...I don’t have any family left. They were taken away by the Shade. It lusts for power, and it may come for you too.” It said, with a warning glance to her. Silver nodded, suddenly feeling very lonely. The people at her birthplace kicked her out, making her homeless; all she had was a little screamer “monkey”, and now a new threat may come for her. How am I to survive?

“But didn’t you say you had a family before? Or - oh...” Silver started, before realising she may have hurt its feelings. The Manticore Screamer just shook its head and looked down, now with no more beetles to stress-eat with. “I lied.” It said, still looking at the dead forest floor. Silver gave a sympathetic smile, saying, “Don’t worry. I guess we have each other,” The Manticore Screamer nodded, its fiery eyes now tearing up.

Silver lay back down, needing to sleep, even though she knew daytime was breaking soon, even though she had slept before this little adventure. “Does this mean I can’t go back to the Coatl clan?” Silver asked. Her new friend shook its head again, its mane now sending out tiny leaves as well. With a sigh, Silver closed her eyes, then added, “It’s fine. I don’t want them either.”

~~~

When Silver awoke the next day, she found a pile of dead, grey leaves on her right side. When she brushed away a few of the leaves, she saw her little friend snoring underneath. Smiling, she gently patted its mane, waking the Manticore Screamer up. It groggily blinked its orangey eyes open, before rubbing them furiously. Then its ears perked up, and then it sat up, staring at her. “Oh! Hi Silver. We have a lot of work to do today,” it said cheerfully. Silver blinked slowly, confused. What work? Sensing her confusion, the Manticore Screamer gestured around itself with its lanky arms, waving them. “You need to learn how to catch food, find a home for yourself, learn how to survive like a Coatl and - oh!” It leapt away to her right, and as Silver expected, returned with another insect; a small fly. “Sorry,” the Manticore Screamer said sheepishly, earning a chuckle from her. It offered her a bite of the insect. She backed away, shaking her head. “Uh...no thanks,” she said, feeling a bit bad. But she did have to admit however, she was hungry. After all, the last things she ate were berries. It seemed like so...so long ago. With a smile, she said, “Can we go fishing once you’re done eating your fly?”

Another two insects later, Silver and her Manticore Screamer treaded through the spiny groves, her belly constantly rumbling with every step that she took. The now-becoming familiar scent of dense petrichor wafted around the pair as they made their way to the river (which the Manticore Screamer was very sure it knew where it was). Midway, Silver suddenly announced, “Can I give you a name? I can’t possibly be calling you Manticore Screamer, right?” Her friend turned to her, smiling widely. “Of course. Please do,” the Manticore Screamer replied, excited about what she was about to call him (yes he now has a gender, yay). Silver and her friend continued trudging through the dense undergrowth, with sufficient light piercing through the meagre amount of gaps between the deceased trees to guide them. Deep in thought, Silver voiced out, “How about Corey? Like Manticore, but Corey for short?” His orange-coloured eyes began to brighten as he nodded vigorously, noticeably very satisfied with his new name. It was enough for Silver to understand that he liked his new name very much.

Not long later, they had reached the river. To Corey’s delight (and Silver’s amusement), he kept himself busy catching dragonflies, darting about and springing off his hind paws to snatch the many buzzing critters from the humid air around the river. The cool water caressed her paws as she dipped them into the water for the first time. She had never swum before, or even touched water. Corey returned to her after a few minutes of devouring the dragonflies, which had now visibly decreased in number around the river. The dragonflies lazily buzzed around, unaware of a predator in their midst.

“Breakfast was very good,” he murmured, patting his belly. Silver laughed, appreciating the fact that she had a friend now, unlike those Coatls who betrayed her trust, banishing her from their home because of her illness-bringing coat. Corey stared hard at the bubbling waters, taking note of any signs of movement beneath the murky stream. At least by the river, there was more light due to the reduced amount of trees surrounding it. The bioluminescent fungi sprouted around the river’s edge as if they themselves were talking to the babbling waters. To Silver, the mushrooms didn’t seem that beautiful in the light as compared to in the darkness.

Suddenly, Corey stuck his hands into the water, and after a short moment of scrabbling, he yanked out a small fish in his paws. Silver’s eyes lit up, watching in awe. “So that's how to fish,” she said, observing how he clasped the slippery and squirming creature between his paws. Corey dropped the wriggling creature onto the muddied ground beside him. The faint rumbling in her belly was enough to remind her that she needed to eat. “Take it, I know Coatls like seafood, fish especially,” Corey said, as if reading Silver’s uncertainty. Warily, she scooped up the mass of fish and then gobbled it down. The flavour of raw fish began blossoming around the insides of her mouth, and Silver immediately liked it. “I think you’re right,” she said between mouthfuls, smiling. “Coatls love fish.”
shadowbottom2.png

4tjEMFS.gif

tori • she/her • fr +16
poetry & lore | chibis
[center][font=garamond][b][size=6]Chapter Six[/size][/b] [size=5]Crystal[/center] [center][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/qnsvl4q1hbyggi5/arcanetop.png[/img][/center] [font=garamond][size=4]Crystal had gotten used to the rhythm of travelling. The Vulstal would nudge her awake every morning, and they’d watch the sun rise through the branches to take its position of glory above. But her injuries were starting to weigh on her, scars left behind from her previous clan life taking their toll. She felt her pace start to lag, and occasionally she’d fall behind the Vulstal who would look at her in concern. The breaking point came when they were trying to hunt one day. Crystal had readied her hunting crouch and sprang at the unsuspecting prey, but as she leapt she felt a sharp stab of pain. Thrown off-balance, she landed hard on the ground. The startled prey escaped. Hissing in pain, she curled in on herself, a faint buzzing ringing in her ears. The Vulstal barked in alarm, circling her weak frame, and that was the last thing she heard before she blacked out again. [center][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/6kg6r3b1h333p6k/arcanemidsmall.png[/img][/center] [font=garamond][size=4]She forced her eyes open to find that it was already nighttime. She felt soft moss beneath her, and a dull ache pulsed through her entire body. Attempting to right herself, she squawked in surprise as she felt her wings being held down. [center][url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=41322672] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/413227/41322672_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] [font=garamond][size=4]“You need rest,” he insisted, gentle claws smoothing out her matted feathers. “Where… where am I?” she croaked, throat suddenly feeling very dry. The Skydancer frowned. “You’re dehydrated,” he observed. “Open up.” The cogs in her brain whirred to life. [i]Is he trustable?[/i] Then it struck her that he was probably the one who had treated her injuries. They didn’t hurt that much anymore. She opened her jaws and the next second nearly choked on a blob of water that he had magicked up. It seemed… chewy? Her sharp fangs easily broke through the film and water poured into her mouth, soothing her parched throat. As the water trickled down her throat, the refreshing coolness seemed to seep into the other parts of her that still ached, a cold balm that eased the pain. “I’m Cameron.” His voice was gentle and sounded rather like the song of rushing water, and his claws were tender as they groomed her wings. “Blizzard doesn’t take a liking to just anyone, you know.” The name Blizzard didn’t seem to ring any bells. “... Blizzard?” she questioned. “The Vulstal,” Cameron elaborated. “I’ve had the pleasure of being acquainted with him. He’s been here for really long, far longer than you or I. And he’s powerful. He’s a lot stronger than anyone gives him credit for.” Crystal considered this for a moment, but another question surfaced in her mind. “Wait, then… how did I get here?” “I got the fright of my life when Blizzard hurtled into my camp like a mad dog and basically dragged me to where you were. So I brought you back to my camp to heal up.” Cameron smiled good-naturedly, before squinting at her. “I hope you’re feeling better… are you? If not I could always find other healing methods.” Warmth gushed into Crystal’s heart as she comprehended the kindness that had been shown to her by both Blizzard and Cameron. Now more than ever, she was so glad she’d been banished from her clan. It was only after she’d been expelled that she experienced kindness, and it was the best thing she could ever ask for. “I’m feeling better. Thank you, Cameron.” “You should thank Blizzard,” Cameron laughed. [center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/familiar/art/23861.png[/img][/center] [font=garamond][size=4]A white Cerdae trotted up, tossing its mane disdainfully and snorting. “Yes, yes, you too. Meet Ingrid. She was the one who did most of the healing, her healing spells are much better than mine. Right, snobbish unicorn?” Ingrid gave another disgruntled snort, but appeared to ignore the hidden jab. Just then, Blizzard came loping back into view, and Crystal immediately brightened up. “Blizzard!” To her surprise, Blizzard seemed to… did he just [i]smile[/i]? Well, he imitated a grin the best he could, lips curled back to reveal sharp teeth pressed together in what seemed to be his version of a smile. Cameron let out a surprised chuckle. “W-well, that hasn’t happened before…” Blizzard turned at him and seemed to blink mischievously. “He’s definitely a lot more playful than before- okay, okay, fine, you’re not, you’re still the almighty majestic Vulstal of the Starwood Strand who never smiles or acts friendly,” Cameron deadpanned. Blizzard huffed and sat down, plumed tail swishing. “Okay, uh… I never did catch your name…” Crystal gaped at the white Skydancer when she came to the realisation she hadn’t introduced herself. “I’m so sorry. My name is Crystal.” She felt embarrassment colour her scales. Much to her relief, Cameron didn’t seem angry. His sapphire gaze swept over her and he tilted his head to one side, as if studying her. Crystal fidgeted uncomfortably under his stare. “Is… is there anything wrong?” Cameron blinked, still looking innocent. “No, I just think you look rather adorable when you’re flustered. And I like your name. It suits you.” Crystal was ready to curl up right then and there and die from embarrassment. She’d never been praised before, and never really had any contact with dragons that didn’t involve harsh words or actions. It was hard to react. “To be fair, I haven’t had much either. I was separated from my parents at a young age and was almost sold as a showpiece, but I escaped. So much for being a hatchling with my colour combination and genes,” he sighed. “But hey, it seems I’m not the only one.” They were enjoying a quiet moment when two Mirrors burst in upon them. [center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=175&bodygene=10&breed=3&element=9&eyetype=7&gender=0&tert=10&tertgene=11&winggene=26&wings=166&auth=f7bbe0839d7ccbe734f11e37c1cf89acc27d1a1b&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=175&bodygene=16&breed=3&element=9&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=10&tertgene=11&winggene=11&wings=169&auth=08a6574506fd060931e53325adbca28d593fbf7f&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/center] [font=garamond][size=4]They seemed roughed up, and the one with glowing eyes, the older one by the looks of things, could barely stand, lips peeled back in a pained snarl. Immediately Cameron and Ingrid sprang into action, Ingrid working her magic while Cameron sorted out herbs and imbued them with a soothing watery glow. Crystal shifted, still a little weak, but the Skydancer was instantly by her side. “Stay here. You can’t afford to move now.” He pressed her back down onto the soft moss, eyes stern but never hateful. “Get some rest, hm? They’ll be fixed up in no time.”[/size] [center][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/nm0z9g1pkrloiln/arcanebottom.png[/img] [size=2]@Petall[/center]
Chapter Six
Crystal
arcanetop.png

Crystal had gotten used to the rhythm of travelling. The Vulstal would nudge her awake every morning, and they’d watch the sun rise through the branches to take its position of glory above. But her injuries were starting to weigh on her, scars left behind from her previous clan life taking their toll. She felt her pace start to lag, and occasionally she’d fall behind the Vulstal who would look at her in concern.

The breaking point came when they were trying to hunt one day. Crystal had readied her hunting crouch and sprang at the unsuspecting prey, but as she leapt she felt a sharp stab of pain. Thrown off-balance, she landed hard on the ground. The startled prey escaped. Hissing in pain, she curled in on herself, a faint buzzing ringing in her ears. The Vulstal barked in alarm, circling her weak frame, and that was the last thing she heard before she blacked out again.

arcanemidsmall.png

She forced her eyes open to find that it was already nighttime. She felt soft moss beneath her, and a dull ache pulsed through her entire body. Attempting to right herself, she squawked in surprise as she felt her wings being held down.

“You need rest,” he insisted, gentle claws smoothing out her matted feathers.

“Where… where am I?” she croaked, throat suddenly feeling very dry. The Skydancer frowned.

“You’re dehydrated,” he observed. “Open up.” The cogs in her brain whirred to life. Is he trustable? Then it struck her that he was probably the one who had treated her injuries. They didn’t hurt that much anymore. She opened her jaws and the next second nearly choked on a blob of water that he had magicked up. It seemed… chewy? Her sharp fangs easily broke through the film and water poured into her mouth, soothing her parched throat. As the water trickled down her throat, the refreshing coolness seemed to seep into the other parts of her that still ached, a cold balm that eased the pain.

“I’m Cameron.” His voice was gentle and sounded rather like the song of rushing water, and his claws were tender as they groomed her wings. “Blizzard doesn’t take a liking to just anyone, you know.” The name Blizzard didn’t seem to ring any bells.

“... Blizzard?” she questioned.

“The Vulstal,” Cameron elaborated. “I’ve had the pleasure of being acquainted with him. He’s been here for really long, far longer than you or I. And he’s powerful. He’s a lot stronger than anyone gives him credit for.” Crystal considered this for a moment, but another question surfaced in her mind.

“Wait, then… how did I get here?”

“I got the fright of my life when Blizzard hurtled into my camp like a mad dog and basically dragged me to where you were. So I brought you back to my camp to heal up.” Cameron smiled good-naturedly, before squinting at her. “I hope you’re feeling better… are you? If not I could always find other healing methods.”

Warmth gushed into Crystal’s heart as she comprehended the kindness that had been shown to her by both Blizzard and Cameron. Now more than ever, she was so glad she’d been banished from her clan. It was only after she’d been expelled that she experienced kindness, and it was the best thing she could ever ask for. “I’m feeling better. Thank you, Cameron.”

“You should thank Blizzard,” Cameron laughed.

23861.png

A white Cerdae trotted up, tossing its mane disdainfully and snorting. “Yes, yes, you too. Meet Ingrid. She was the one who did most of the healing, her healing spells are much better than mine. Right, snobbish unicorn?” Ingrid gave another disgruntled snort, but appeared to ignore the hidden jab.

Just then, Blizzard came loping back into view, and Crystal immediately brightened up. “Blizzard!” To her surprise, Blizzard seemed to… did he just smile? Well, he imitated a grin the best he could, lips curled back to reveal sharp teeth pressed together in what seemed to be his version of a smile. Cameron let out a surprised chuckle.

“W-well, that hasn’t happened before…” Blizzard turned at him and seemed to blink mischievously. “He’s definitely a lot more playful than before- okay, okay, fine, you’re not, you’re still the almighty majestic Vulstal of the Starwood Strand who never smiles or acts friendly,” Cameron deadpanned. Blizzard huffed and sat down, plumed tail swishing. “Okay, uh… I never did catch your name…” Crystal gaped at the white Skydancer when she came to the realisation she hadn’t introduced herself.

“I’m so sorry. My name is Crystal.” She felt embarrassment colour her scales. Much to her relief, Cameron didn’t seem angry. His sapphire gaze swept over her and he tilted his head to one side, as if studying her. Crystal fidgeted uncomfortably under his stare. “Is… is there anything wrong?” Cameron blinked, still looking innocent.

“No, I just think you look rather adorable when you’re flustered. And I like your name. It suits you.” Crystal was ready to curl up right then and there and die from embarrassment. She’d never been praised before, and never really had any contact with dragons that didn’t involve harsh words or actions. It was hard to react. “To be fair, I haven’t had much either. I was separated from my parents at a young age and was almost sold as a showpiece, but I escaped. So much for being a hatchling with my colour combination and genes,” he sighed. “But hey, it seems I’m not the only one.”

They were enjoying a quiet moment when two Mirrors burst in upon them.

dragon?age=1&body=175&bodygene=10&breed=3&element=9&eyetype=7&gender=0&tert=10&tertgene=11&winggene=26&wings=166&auth=f7bbe0839d7ccbe734f11e37c1cf89acc27d1a1b&dummyext=prev.png
dragon?age=1&body=175&bodygene=16&breed=3&element=9&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=10&tertgene=11&winggene=11&wings=169&auth=08a6574506fd060931e53325adbca28d593fbf7f&dummyext=prev.png

They seemed roughed up, and the one with glowing eyes, the older one by the looks of things, could barely stand, lips peeled back in a pained snarl. Immediately Cameron and Ingrid sprang into action, Ingrid working her magic while Cameron sorted out herbs and imbued them with a soothing watery glow. Crystal shifted, still a little weak, but the Skydancer was instantly by her side. “Stay here. You can’t afford to move now.” He pressed her back down onto the soft moss, eyes stern but never hateful. “Get some rest, hm? They’ll be fixed up in no time.”

OOOOOOOOo, new characters! That's really fun!
OOOOOOOOo, new characters! That's really fun!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall

Yes!! The gang expands
@Petall

Yes!! The gang expands

[center][font=Lora][size=6]Chapter Seven[/size] [size=5]Silver[/size][/center] [center][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/hzvonpzcngbad5x/shadowtop2.png[/center][/img] [font=lora][size=4]As the days flew by, Silver managed to find her way around the woods, noting landmarks like a specific tree or cluster of glowing mushrooms. She also began to accustom herself to fishing. In fact, she loved doing it. Dip, feel, look, grab. Those were the steps Corey had patiently drilled into her until she would automatically recite them out when catching a meal. Silver progressed from catching mere stationary clams to fast-swimming fish, and Corey assured her that she was learning much faster than what a normal Coatl would do. She was also exceptionally swift as her arms seemingly knew exactly where to go to prevent the unsuspecting fish from swimming away from her fast paws. What made Silver so happy about fishing were the clams. Her first taste of clams felt like the best thing she had ever eaten in her few months of being on this planet. She adored the chewy texture of the clams and its slightly salty, slightly sweet, a little bit fishy, but not overpowering taste. “I want clams” was a common phrase said by Silver, and she’d repeat it many times throughout the day. Everyday had a usual routine, they’d wake up from their shabby but workable makeshift camp sandwiched between two trees. Their camp was mainly full of the softer dead leaves, surrounded by several mossy logs and glow mushrooms. Above them as a shelter were stacked up logs, supported by more logs below. It was the best the pair could do in the dreadful forest, by building a little camp for themselves to live in. Once they’d waken up, the pair would go and catch their respective breakfasts, then Corey would teach her more fishing techniques. Today was no different. Once they had risen from their leafy mattresses, Silver and Corey set out toward the river. “I want clams,” Silver blurted out while they were making their way to the glistening waters. Corey shook his head and smiled tightly, getting used to hearing her complain about the absence of her favourite bivalve molluscs. Once they were reaching the river, Silver suddenly heard a foreign voice, and it was coming from the river. “Wait. I think there’s someone at our spot,” she whispered to Corey, who slowed his own pace down to match Silver’s. The pair agreed to investigate, and Corey gestured to follow him behind a tree. [i]Could it be another abandoned Coatl?[/i] Silver’s heart raced with anticipation. [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/61449846][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/614499/61449846_350.png[/img][/url][/center] [font=lora][size=4]Both dragon and manticore screamer peered behind a big, old tree, staring into their fishing spot. There in their spot sat a furry, dark grey Tundra, chomping on some plant. He had silver crystalline wings that were folded as he ate, a dark grey mane, and more grey cracks on his skin. Corey’s eyes brightened at the sight, happy that Silver may have found a friend. Silver, on the other hand, was scared. [i]What if this dragon is evil? Will he… is he like a Coatl, mean and arrogant?[/i] They stood watching, silent. Corey glanced at her, nodding his head toward the strange Tundra. Silver shook her head vigorously, her shyness kicking in. [center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/familiar/art/353.png[/img][/center] [font=lora][size=4]But both Manticore Screamer and dragon had no chance of hiding behind that tree any longer. A wobbly Grey River Flight started waddling towards them, causing the Tundra to turn around, following its line of sight. Silver suspected it to be the Tundra’s friend, his familiar. Corey peered out from behind the tree, followed by a shy Silver behind. The wobbly waddling River Flight started circling around them both. “Hullo! Hullo! Hullo!” she said, prancing around. Silver looked around for an avenue of respite from this awkward situation. She’d never made friends before. But yet as this little River Flight was bounding around her and repeatedly greeting her, she felt a sense of trust towards her and her owner, the Tundra. “Hello, I’m Corey,” her Manticore Screamer introduced himself to the Tundra and the River Flight. “Hullo Corey! Raven look! New friends!” the River Flight exclaimed. Raven. His name is Raven. Alas, the Tundra spoke. Laughing, he began, “Yes Misty, I can see that.” His voice was deep and calming, and for some odd reason, Silver relaxed a little. “I’m Raven,” he continued, forming a smile. Silver’s metallic wings clinked as she stepped forward, returning the smile. “Silver,” she said, suddenly feeling very insecure about her dull scales. Raven seemed to notice her discomfort, he complimented her diamond-like wings. “I like your wings,” Silver just blushed even more, her head retreating to her shoulders with a shy smile. At the side, Corey was showing Misty, the River Flight, how to catch dragonflies. Bits of their conversation drifted to her. “...your paws have to be open like this to catch it...” Since Corey had befriended Misty, Silver decided to do the same as well with Raven. Before she could speak, Raven started. Their two different conversations clashed, earning hearty laughs from the two of them. “No, no, you go first,” Raven said, still laughing away. Silver reluctantly nodded, before saying, “I don’t like bright coloured Coatls. They kicked me out of our home,” she stirred the dying grass below her with her paws as she spoke. Raven sighed in reply. “Similar scenario for me. My clanmates decided to sell me off as an auction, but Misty managed to - well - sort of [i]save[/i]me, by giving them her most precious possession that she’d ever collected over the past few years of scavenging around the Tangled Wood to leave me alone. She gave them her favourite biggest diamond.” With a sad smile, he went on. “After she’d given up her favourite diamond, they left me alone. But I left. I couldn’t stand them.” Silver sighed, wishing to comfort him. But how? Were they even friends? “Well...at least you have Misty to accompany you,” she reasoned. [i]Say it, Silver. For the sake of your sanity. Say it.[i] “Can we be friends?” “Really, Silver? We became friends approximately five minutes ago.” [/font][/size] [center][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ven9gmk4qi14dr5/shadowbottom2.png[/center][/img]
Chapter Seven
Silver
shadowtop2.png

As the days flew by, Silver managed to find her way around the woods, noting landmarks like a specific tree or cluster of glowing mushrooms. She also began to accustom herself to fishing. In fact, she loved doing it. Dip, feel, look, grab. Those were the steps Corey had patiently drilled into her until she would automatically recite them out when catching a meal. Silver progressed from catching mere stationary clams to fast-swimming fish, and Corey assured her that she was learning much faster than what a normal Coatl would do. She was also exceptionally swift as her arms seemingly knew exactly where to go to prevent the unsuspecting fish from swimming away from her fast paws. What made Silver so happy about fishing were the clams. Her first taste of clams felt like the best thing she had ever eaten in her few months of being on this planet. She adored the chewy texture of the clams and its slightly salty, slightly sweet, a little bit fishy, but not overpowering taste. “I want clams” was a common phrase said by Silver, and she’d repeat it many times throughout the day.

Everyday had a usual routine, they’d wake up from their shabby but workable makeshift camp sandwiched between two trees. Their camp was mainly full of the softer dead leaves, surrounded by several mossy logs and glow mushrooms. Above them as a shelter were stacked up logs, supported by more logs below. It was the best the pair could do in the dreadful forest, by building a little camp for themselves to live in. Once they’d waken up, the pair would go and catch their respective breakfasts, then Corey would teach her more fishing techniques.

Today was no different. Once they had risen from their leafy mattresses, Silver and Corey set out toward the river. “I want clams,” Silver blurted out while they were making their way to the glistening waters. Corey shook his head and smiled tightly, getting used to hearing her complain about the absence of her favourite bivalve molluscs. Once they were reaching the river, Silver suddenly heard a foreign voice, and it was coming from the river. “Wait. I think there’s someone at our spot,” she whispered to Corey, who slowed his own pace down to match Silver’s. The pair agreed to investigate, and Corey gestured to follow him behind a tree. Could it be another abandoned Coatl? Silver’s heart raced with anticipation.

61449846_350.png

Both dragon and manticore screamer peered behind a big, old tree, staring into their fishing spot. There in their spot sat a furry, dark grey Tundra, chomping on some plant. He had silver crystalline wings that were folded as he ate, a dark grey mane, and more grey cracks on his skin. Corey’s eyes brightened at the sight, happy that Silver may have found a friend. Silver, on the other hand, was scared. What if this dragon is evil? Will he… is he like a Coatl, mean and arrogant? They stood watching, silent. Corey glanced at her, nodding his head toward the strange Tundra. Silver shook her head vigorously, her shyness kicking in.

353.png

But both Manticore Screamer and dragon had no chance of hiding behind that tree any longer. A wobbly Grey River Flight started waddling towards them, causing the Tundra to turn around, following its line of sight. Silver suspected it to be the Tundra’s friend, his familiar. Corey peered out from behind the tree, followed by a shy Silver behind. The wobbly waddling River Flight started circling around them both. “Hullo! Hullo! Hullo!” she said, prancing around. Silver looked around for an avenue of respite from this awkward situation. She’d never made friends before. But yet as this little River Flight was bounding around her and repeatedly greeting her, she felt a sense of trust towards her and her owner, the Tundra. “Hello, I’m Corey,” her Manticore Screamer introduced himself to the Tundra and the River Flight. “Hullo Corey! Raven look! New friends!” the River Flight exclaimed. Raven. His name is Raven.

Alas, the Tundra spoke. Laughing, he began, “Yes Misty, I can see that.” His voice was deep and calming, and for some odd reason, Silver relaxed a little. “I’m Raven,” he continued, forming a smile. Silver’s metallic wings clinked as she stepped forward, returning the smile. “Silver,” she said, suddenly feeling very insecure about her dull scales. Raven seemed to notice her discomfort, he complimented her diamond-like wings. “I like your wings,” Silver just blushed even more, her head retreating to her shoulders with a shy smile. At the side, Corey was showing Misty, the River Flight, how to catch dragonflies. Bits of their conversation drifted to her. “...your paws have to be open like this to catch it...” Since Corey had befriended Misty, Silver decided to do the same as well with Raven.

Before she could speak, Raven started. Their two different conversations clashed, earning hearty laughs from the two of them. “No, no, you go first,” Raven said, still laughing away. Silver reluctantly nodded, before saying, “I don’t like bright coloured Coatls. They kicked me out of our home,” she stirred the dying grass below her with her paws as she spoke. Raven sighed in reply. “Similar scenario for me. My clanmates decided to sell me off as an auction, but Misty managed to - well - sort of saveme, by giving them her most precious possession that she’d ever collected over the past few years of scavenging around the Tangled Wood to leave me alone. She gave them her favourite biggest diamond.” With a sad smile, he went on. “After she’d given up her favourite diamond, they left me alone. But I left. I couldn’t stand them.” Silver sighed, wishing to comfort him. But how? Were they even friends? “Well...at least you have Misty to accompany you,” she reasoned. Say it, Silver. For the sake of your sanity. Say it.

“Can we be friends?”
“Really, Silver? We became friends approximately five minutes ago.”
shadowbottom2.png
4tjEMFS.gif

tori • she/her • fr +16
poetry & lore | chibis
[center][font=garamond][b][size=6]Chapter Eight[/size][/b] [size=5]Crystal[/center] [center][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/qnsvl4q1hbyggi5/arcanetop.png[/img][/center] [font=garamond][size=4]The Mirrors were a lot better now. Or at least, they certainly seemed better to Crystal. The older one no longer seemed to be constantly in pain, although both still seemed gaunt and tired. What had they gone through? She heaved herself to her feet, silently grateful for the fact that her injuries were healed. As she neared, both Mirrors’ heads snapped up at exactly the same time. Two pairs of pink eyes bored into her, one pale and one glowing. Admittedly, she felt slightly intimidated. They stared at one another for a long time, neither side talking. Then finally the older Mirror heaved a sigh. “I see countless galaxies in your scales. You are destined for great things…” he coughed, and rested his head on his paws. His brother shot him a sympathetic glance. “Sagar has been gifted with the ability of prophecy. However it’s very draining for him, thus my parents tasked me to protect him. My name is Callan, thank you for helping us.” His carnation eyes sparkled with gratitude. Crystal smiled back, glad that they were alright. Cameron drifted over, claws glowing with light blue magic. “I’ve found a way to ease your pain, Sagar, but I’m not sure whether you’d want it.” Sagar wearily nodded for him to go on. “I can seal your abilities so they don’t run rampant throughout you. Your powers won’t grow weaker, and you’ll have greater control of them. Are you… willing to try it?” Callan perked up, eagerly looking at his sibling, flicking him with his tail. Finally, Sagar inclined his head. “Crystal, I’ll need your help.” At these words, Crystal started to panic. “Me? But I barely-” “You can use Enfeeble, right?” Crystal nodded hesitantly. “Alright. I need you to cast an Enfeeble right under Sagar to weaken his mental defenses. Callan, if you please.” Callan stepped away, eyes still trained on his brother. [i]Here goes.[/i] Crystal took a deep breath and willed a runic circle to expand under Sagar. Fuchsia wisps of light started to curl around the Mirror, fizzling into strands of glittering multicolour that cast a dawnlike glow on his purple hide. As Crystal poured more mana into the spell, pink incandescence started to erupt from the ground, coalescing into a runic circle that expanded under Sagar, lines of runic script whirling and blooming all around him. As Crystal kept her spell going, she glanced at Cameron to find his scales had a very, very faint sapphire sheen to them. There seemed to be a strange haze of power around him, and his eyes glowed bright ultramarine. Sagar’s glowing eyes flickered blue, before glowing so bright that Crystal was sure they would all be blinded. After an agonising moment, his blue eyes shifted back into a normal pink. The light that had poured from his eyes disappeared. [center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=175&bodygene=10&breed=3&element=9&eyetype=2&gender=0&tert=10&tertgene=11&winggene=26&wings=166&auth=d6477b743569e7bc04f9351c39aa8d4ce4fec971&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/center] [font=garamond][size=4]Sagar blinked a few times, looking around with awe in his eyes. “I… the world looks… so different. I never expected it to be so… nuanced. Before, everything I saw was imbued with glaring light. But now I can see… there are so many shades of colour. The trees look even more beautiful. Thank you.” Cameron glowed with pride. Crystal was surprised to find Cameron had such powerful magic. There were really many things her clan hadn’t told her.[/size] [center][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/nm0z9g1pkrloiln/arcanebottom.png[/img] [size=2]@Petall[/center]
Chapter Eight
Crystal
arcanetop.png

The Mirrors were a lot better now.

Or at least, they certainly seemed better to Crystal. The older one no longer seemed to be constantly in pain, although both still seemed gaunt and tired. What had they gone through? She heaved herself to her feet, silently grateful for the fact that her injuries were healed. As she neared, both Mirrors’ heads snapped up at exactly the same time. Two pairs of pink eyes bored into her, one pale and one glowing. Admittedly, she felt slightly intimidated.

They stared at one another for a long time, neither side talking. Then finally the older Mirror heaved a sigh. “I see countless galaxies in your scales. You are destined for great things…” he coughed, and rested his head on his paws. His brother shot him a sympathetic glance.

“Sagar has been gifted with the ability of prophecy. However it’s very draining for him, thus my parents tasked me to protect him. My name is Callan, thank you for helping us.” His carnation eyes sparkled with gratitude. Crystal smiled back, glad that they were alright. Cameron drifted over, claws glowing with light blue magic.

“I’ve found a way to ease your pain, Sagar, but I’m not sure whether you’d want it.” Sagar wearily nodded for him to go on. “I can seal your abilities so they don’t run rampant throughout you. Your powers won’t grow weaker, and you’ll have greater control of them. Are you… willing to try it?” Callan perked up, eagerly looking at his sibling, flicking him with his tail. Finally, Sagar inclined his head.

“Crystal, I’ll need your help.” At these words, Crystal started to panic.

“Me? But I barely-”

“You can use Enfeeble, right?” Crystal nodded hesitantly. “Alright. I need you to cast an Enfeeble right under Sagar to weaken his mental defenses. Callan, if you please.” Callan stepped away, eyes still trained on his brother. Here goes. Crystal took a deep breath and willed a runic circle to expand under Sagar. Fuchsia wisps of light started to curl around the Mirror, fizzling into strands of glittering multicolour that cast a dawnlike glow on his purple hide. As Crystal poured more mana into the spell, pink incandescence started to erupt from the ground, coalescing into a runic circle that expanded under Sagar, lines of runic script whirling and blooming all around him.

As Crystal kept her spell going, she glanced at Cameron to find his scales had a very, very faint sapphire sheen to them. There seemed to be a strange haze of power around him, and his eyes glowed bright ultramarine. Sagar’s glowing eyes flickered blue, before glowing so bright that Crystal was sure they would all be blinded. After an agonising moment, his blue eyes shifted back into a normal pink. The light that had poured from his eyes disappeared.

dragon?age=1&body=175&bodygene=10&breed=3&element=9&eyetype=2&gender=0&tert=10&tertgene=11&winggene=26&wings=166&auth=d6477b743569e7bc04f9351c39aa8d4ce4fec971&dummyext=prev.png

Sagar blinked a few times, looking around with awe in his eyes. “I… the world looks… so different. I never expected it to be so… nuanced. Before, everything I saw was imbued with glaring light. But now I can see… there are so many shades of colour. The trees look even more beautiful. Thank you.” Cameron glowed with pride. Crystal was surprised to find Cameron had such powerful magic. There were really many things her clan hadn’t told her.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13