Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | i'll critique your art! (rules upd8)
1 2 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87
@corvidus friend this is some SOLID advice, I'm gonna work with it!! And probably I'll be back in a week for more advice :-)))))
@corvidus friend this is some SOLID advice, I'm gonna work with it!! And probably I'll be back in a week for more advice :-)))))
Ef84x2q.png ozDAjIE.png
znuJtTb.png
@skyleaf hey there! oh, man, your art is SUPER cute! i love your style and your colour choices, i'm excited to dig into it :) so, as a quick note: even the 'messy' example still looks pretty clean and polished, to me? it's totally valid to have a looser, messier style! don't feel like you 'have' to make clean lineart if it's not a process you enjoy. (like, i almost [i]never [/i]do clean lines because i just find the process super boring. so i just... don't! there are no rules in art, just do what makes you happy.) i will say, though, try to avoid 'petting' your lines (drawing the same stroke over and over)? i can see a few places in the looser examples where it looks like you've drawn one line in several choppy strokes, and that [i]does [/i]look a teensy bit messy - and also it's bad for your wrists! try and focus on drawing in single long, sweeping strokes, where you can. right, there are two main things i want to talk about. i think your poses could be a bit more interesting and have more movement to them; and i think you're ready to start thinking more about the volumes in your art. let's start with poses! i think your anatomy is overall solid, but your poses are quite static. there are a lot of straight lines, and not much of a sense of motion or weight: [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/c2cd02a3498ab1aeef1bfe5add0cc1cc/599aebdcb8128d04-27/s2048x3072/8e9b5acf1e385bddf50723bf701b3e8b9c3fbefd.png[/img] (open in new tab to fullview!) i've included two examples here! example one is how i would really push this to make it a more exciting pose. i've built around a strong line of action, with all the elements (the face, the gesture, the line of the body) drawing the eye towards the spell the character is casting. (i don't know if they're actually a spellcaster, that's just the vibe i got lol). in an illustration like this, all of the focus is on the character, so you really need to rely on your pose to create mood, action, and tell your audience about the character! the second example is a little subtler - because there are times you just want to go with a standing pose (like for a reference sheet, for example), but there are still ways you can add more visual interest! the line of action is more subdued, but it's there, and there's a rhythm to how the character is holding their weight. i've made the gesture clearer (they're waving! say hello!) and overall the pose has a little bit more of a flow to it. and, again, these might not fit the character you have in mind! they might be more reserved with their expressions, or hold themselves more stiffly - but again, if that's the case, try and exaggerate those traits and think about how you can really push them to the maximum! i really think you could get more out of your poses, both in terms of execution and also by adding more acting into them? try to really think about how you can convey character and expression through a pose. i'd recommend avoiding 'weak' neutral expressions (like a blank face or a neutral smile) when you can instead go for something punchier and more interesting. acting through your characters in their gestures and expressions is one of the things that helps really bring them to life! the second thing is that your art feels a little flat and 2D. i think you're ready to really start thinking through the volumes and construction of your subjects! instead of circles and squares, try to think in terms of spheres and cubes and cylinders and stuff. when you're doing life drawings and studies, don't just copy the outlines, [url=https://64.media.tumblr.com/01481a773d4f4206f37476c833009017/7af22e9cf96dc5fe-0a/s1280x1920/c61097c83ad4ae8076aa59d6a4b9b15e36bfa3e1.png]really try to break down the underlying volumes.[/url] the biggest resource i'd point you towards is [url=https://drawabox.com/]drawabox[/url]; it's a little dull (it is, basically, art homework) BUT you'll come away with a greatly improved sense of thinking in three dimensions! hope that all helps! like i said, your art is really cute, and i love all the characters a lot :)
@skyleaf
hey there! oh, man, your art is SUPER cute! i love your style and your colour choices, i'm excited to dig into it :)

so, as a quick note: even the 'messy' example still looks pretty clean and polished, to me? it's totally valid to have a looser, messier style! don't feel like you 'have' to make clean lineart if it's not a process you enjoy. (like, i almost never do clean lines because i just find the process super boring. so i just... don't! there are no rules in art, just do what makes you happy.) i will say, though, try to avoid 'petting' your lines (drawing the same stroke over and over)? i can see a few places in the looser examples where it looks like you've drawn one line in several choppy strokes, and that does look a teensy bit messy - and also it's bad for your wrists! try and focus on drawing in single long, sweeping strokes, where you can.

right, there are two main things i want to talk about. i think your poses could be a bit more interesting and have more movement to them; and i think you're ready to start thinking more about the volumes in your art. let's start with poses! i think your anatomy is overall solid, but your poses are quite static. there are a lot of straight lines, and not much of a sense of motion or weight:
8e9b5acf1e385bddf50723bf701b3e8b9c3fbefd.png
(open in new tab to fullview!)

i've included two examples here! example one is how i would really push this to make it a more exciting pose. i've built around a strong line of action, with all the elements (the face, the gesture, the line of the body) drawing the eye towards the spell the character is casting. (i don't know if they're actually a spellcaster, that's just the vibe i got lol). in an illustration like this, all of the focus is on the character, so you really need to rely on your pose to create mood, action, and tell your audience about the character!

the second example is a little subtler - because there are times you just want to go with a standing pose (like for a reference sheet, for example), but there are still ways you can add more visual interest! the line of action is more subdued, but it's there, and there's a rhythm to how the character is holding their weight. i've made the gesture clearer (they're waving! say hello!) and overall the pose has a little bit more of a flow to it.

and, again, these might not fit the character you have in mind! they might be more reserved with their expressions, or hold themselves more stiffly - but again, if that's the case, try and exaggerate those traits and think about how you can really push them to the maximum! i really think you could get more out of your poses, both in terms of execution and also by adding more acting into them? try to really think about how you can convey character and expression through a pose. i'd recommend avoiding 'weak' neutral expressions (like a blank face or a neutral smile) when you can instead go for something punchier and more interesting. acting through your characters in their gestures and expressions is one of the things that helps really bring them to life!

the second thing is that your art feels a little flat and 2D. i think you're ready to really start thinking through the volumes and construction of your subjects! instead of circles and squares, try to think in terms of spheres and cubes and cylinders and stuff. when you're doing life drawings and studies, don't just copy the outlines, really try to break down the underlying volumes. the biggest resource i'd point you towards is drawabox; it's a little dull (it is, basically, art homework) BUT you'll come away with a greatly improved sense of thinking in three dimensions!

hope that all helps! like i said, your art is really cute, and i love all the characters a lot :)
XfL644W.png
WhPZGJa.png
@corvidus
Thank you so much, this is the most helpful critique I've ever gotten! I'll definitely look into drawabox, and you've given me some great advice on how to make a more interesting pose. Thanks again!
@corvidus
Thank you so much, this is the most helpful critique I've ever gotten! I'll definitely look into drawabox, and you've given me some great advice on how to make a more interesting pose. Thanks again!
RAS7foa.png
Wn94zHr.png
XmHV7tO.png
bYt72YT.png
dEe2UrM.png

edsfge
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx skyleaf.gif
I would love your thoughts on some of my recent FR art! Right now I find myself struggling with giving things form in a 3 dimensional way but I'm not sure how to fix that. [img]https://i.ibb.co/2WHxx3V/imp-at-night.png[/img] [img]https://i.ibb.co/HCrfzgz/Constellation.png[/img] [img]https://i.ibb.co/yy16cVy/FR-Art.png[/img]
I would love your thoughts on some of my recent FR art!

Right now I find myself struggling with giving things form in a 3 dimensional way but I'm not sure how to fix that.

imp-at-night.png

Constellation.png

FR-Art.png

Call me Max!
Wishlist
Lore
10ttDG2.png

P2OauAq.png
OxagJgG.png

cVPo4yi.png
72733313.png trLi2py.png
Excuse me! If you feel up to it, I'd hear some critique on my art. That and uh... how much you'd price it! Because the time is variable but usually averages around 5 hours worth of work... but I'm not sure if that's the right price.

https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/art/3127054#post_3127054
Excuse me! If you feel up to it, I'd hear some critique on my art. That and uh... how much you'd price it! Because the time is variable but usually averages around 5 hours worth of work... but I'm not sure if that's the right price.

https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/art/3127054#post_3127054
GLMwkdE.pngx8bDWFu.png5hF3FGk.png7c8ZUEs.pngmlHpBMC.pnglUxoo8T.png
JdImn7O.gifUwUnl7O.png
@Nekomori
so, first of all. that much gorgeous detail. with a mouse and keyboard. excuse me while i pick my jaw up off the floor

alright, so, crit! i should open with a disclaimer: i really don't know anything about drawing with a mouse and keyboard. i'm not going to preach to you that you should get a tablet. i've heard people say that drawing long-term with a mouse can cause wrist strain; but i've also heard people say that it's fine, and it's what works for them. ultimately, it's your tools and your process (and you're clearly getting great results from it!). drawing with a tablet is almost certainly faster, but also you should do what works for you first and foremost. the main reason i bring this up is i've always drawn with a tablet/pen and paper, so not all of the tips i give will be 100% transferrable to drawing with a mouse.

in terms of artistic strengths, you obviously have a fantastic eye for detail, and i think your colour choices are really great too! where i think you're falling down a little is the big picture stuff. you draw a lot of side-facing headshots, where i might like to see you explore more challenging poses and draw more fullbodies. also, your lighting isn't always as coherent as it could be? on the top piece, for example, it's not really consistent whether the light is coming from the left, the right, or on top.

your detail work is lovely, but i think you're getting a little bit too bogged down in the details sometimes! alongside the really intensive, detailed pieces, i'd make sure you're trying to draw stuff that captures the bigger picture. it's useful to sketch a lot, for example, to build up your anatomy skills and learn to draw your subjects from different angles. speedpaints with a limited amount of detail can help you get better at putting down areas of colour and shading, and so on.

i also think that a lot of your pieces feel a little stiff? again, i think this is something that regular sketching could help with. when you're in the sketch phase, try and draw using big, smooth lines! for a tablet user (or traditional artist) i'd emphasise using big movements and drawing through the whole wrist, but i'm not quite sure how that would translate to mouse drawing, unfortunately. i guess - big movements with the mouse? anyway, if you can capture those big, flowing lines, it'll help give a little more movement to your drawings.

finally, i'd like to see you put a little more expression into your drawings! think about how the pose and facial expression can show off the character. try drawing more extreme expressions, and a bigger range of emotions; how would your dragon look if they were angry, sad, confused, etc? i think your strongest pieces are the ones that push a little more out of the 'side profile with smile' and show off a little more emotion, so i'd really lean into that!

hope that helps :)
@Nekomori
so, first of all. that much gorgeous detail. with a mouse and keyboard. excuse me while i pick my jaw up off the floor

alright, so, crit! i should open with a disclaimer: i really don't know anything about drawing with a mouse and keyboard. i'm not going to preach to you that you should get a tablet. i've heard people say that drawing long-term with a mouse can cause wrist strain; but i've also heard people say that it's fine, and it's what works for them. ultimately, it's your tools and your process (and you're clearly getting great results from it!). drawing with a tablet is almost certainly faster, but also you should do what works for you first and foremost. the main reason i bring this up is i've always drawn with a tablet/pen and paper, so not all of the tips i give will be 100% transferrable to drawing with a mouse.

in terms of artistic strengths, you obviously have a fantastic eye for detail, and i think your colour choices are really great too! where i think you're falling down a little is the big picture stuff. you draw a lot of side-facing headshots, where i might like to see you explore more challenging poses and draw more fullbodies. also, your lighting isn't always as coherent as it could be? on the top piece, for example, it's not really consistent whether the light is coming from the left, the right, or on top.

your detail work is lovely, but i think you're getting a little bit too bogged down in the details sometimes! alongside the really intensive, detailed pieces, i'd make sure you're trying to draw stuff that captures the bigger picture. it's useful to sketch a lot, for example, to build up your anatomy skills and learn to draw your subjects from different angles. speedpaints with a limited amount of detail can help you get better at putting down areas of colour and shading, and so on.

i also think that a lot of your pieces feel a little stiff? again, i think this is something that regular sketching could help with. when you're in the sketch phase, try and draw using big, smooth lines! for a tablet user (or traditional artist) i'd emphasise using big movements and drawing through the whole wrist, but i'm not quite sure how that would translate to mouse drawing, unfortunately. i guess - big movements with the mouse? anyway, if you can capture those big, flowing lines, it'll help give a little more movement to your drawings.

finally, i'd like to see you put a little more expression into your drawings! think about how the pose and facial expression can show off the character. try drawing more extreme expressions, and a bigger range of emotions; how would your dragon look if they were angry, sad, confused, etc? i think your strongest pieces are the ones that push a little more out of the 'side profile with smile' and show off a little more emotion, so i'd really lean into that!

hope that helps :)
XfL644W.png
WhPZGJa.png
@nuue hey! good to see you back. really love the use of colour in the new piece, that + the composition is really effective at creating an atmospheric mood. i'm a big fan! in terms of crit - mm, yeah, i see what you mean about the value ranges. i think I'd most like to see you use your intermediate values a little more, and be a bit more judicious about your applications of your brightest values. for me, the thing that really jumps out at the image is that your values are kind of mismatched. remember that the eye is drawn to the brightest values; but here, that's not the rim-light, that's the white horns and white patches on the face/chest. this confuses the lighting, and kinda draws away from the impact imo. i'd pull your values down a little so that the rim-light is the brightest thing in the picture to help really sell it: [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/a23f8daf630b824263e6ad7c1e632f55/599aebdcb8128d04-09/s2048x3072/0d2d92c7ad761b725a4c997aab313bf33f00966d.png[/img] note: i use a 'color' adjustment layer set to pure black in ps to convert to values. uh, the exact values will look a little different depending on how exactly you do the greyscale conversion? but without getting into a whole thing about value/luminance/luminosity, I'll just say that's how i did it, results may vary but the key ideas are the same. also, minor pet peeve but the chain is really bugging me. where's the light on it coming from? it's very bright and very distracting, and i think for me it's the biggest thing that undercuts the lighting scheme. the rendering on it is super nice, it just doesn't jive with the rest of the piece. i also think, like i mentioned, you could get a little more out of subtle value shifts. for me, the places where the piece really works are where you've got these subtle hints of your lighting and form from the gradual value changes; the crook of the neck, and where the brow attaches to the horn, both do a great job of showing off your volumes by the shapes and the value graduations you use. so i'd be a bit more careful about where you put your highest values, and lean a little bit more into the subtle value changes. (like you mention, though, this might be something that got screwed up during colour correction - it happens, lol) relatedly, boy do i ever feel you on not finalising colour work at night. i use a screen dimmer, which is a godsend, but it makes everything super yellow so when I'm trying to put colours down at night i just have NO idea what I'm working with. and then i look at the piece the following day like oh good lord what was i THINKING uh, anyway, yeah that's mostly what I'd say about it! i think the minimalist colour/lighting scheme is really effective, very moody. your brushwork is really coming along! i'd like to see a little bit more commitment to hard edges here and there - you do a great job with this on the chain, and i think there are a few other areas where it could have really helped bring the piece together. otherwise, great atmosphere, lovely colours, and great work overall!
@nuue
hey! good to see you back. really love the use of colour in the new piece, that + the composition is really effective at creating an atmospheric mood. i'm a big fan!

in terms of crit - mm, yeah, i see what you mean about the value ranges. i think I'd most like to see you use your intermediate values a little more, and be a bit more judicious about your applications of your brightest values. for me, the thing that really jumps out at the image is that your values are kind of mismatched. remember that the eye is drawn to the brightest values; but here, that's not the rim-light, that's the white horns and white patches on the face/chest. this confuses the lighting, and kinda draws away from the impact imo. i'd pull your values down a little so that the rim-light is the brightest thing in the picture to help really sell it:
0d2d92c7ad761b725a4c997aab313bf33f00966d.png

note: i use a 'color' adjustment layer set to pure black in ps to convert to values. uh, the exact values will look a little different depending on how exactly you do the greyscale conversion? but without getting into a whole thing about value/luminance/luminosity, I'll just say that's how i did it, results may vary but the key ideas are the same.

also, minor pet peeve but the chain is really bugging me. where's the light on it coming from? it's very bright and very distracting, and i think for me it's the biggest thing that undercuts the lighting scheme. the rendering on it is super nice, it just doesn't jive with the rest of the piece.

i also think, like i mentioned, you could get a little more out of subtle value shifts. for me, the places where the piece really works are where you've got these subtle hints of your lighting and form from the gradual value changes; the crook of the neck, and where the brow attaches to the horn, both do a great job of showing off your volumes by the shapes and the value graduations you use. so i'd be a bit more careful about where you put your highest values, and lean a little bit more into the subtle value changes. (like you mention, though, this might be something that got screwed up during colour correction - it happens, lol)

relatedly, boy do i ever feel you on not finalising colour work at night. i use a screen dimmer, which is a godsend, but it makes everything super yellow so when I'm trying to put colours down at night i just have NO idea what I'm working with. and then i look at the piece the following day like oh good lord what was i THINKING

uh, anyway, yeah that's mostly what I'd say about it! i think the minimalist colour/lighting scheme is really effective, very moody. your brushwork is really coming along! i'd like to see a little bit more commitment to hard edges here and there - you do a great job with this on the chain, and i think there are a few other areas where it could have really helped bring the piece together. otherwise, great atmosphere, lovely colours, and great work overall!
XfL644W.png
WhPZGJa.png
Hi! I'd appreciate some criticism, I'm a bit nervous to post here and show my work ( It feels like all the little mistakes I missed in the examples are so much more obvious now lol ), but I think some help and advice is very much needed. I really started developing my style back in 2021 and was pretty happy with how everything was going, and I still am, but I've been noticing that I haven't really been experimenting or changing things too much. I think I have a general idea of the things I'll need to work on right now, but of course an outside view would help a ton :) thank you for your time! [b]Extra notes just incase they're needed :[/b] I draw with a mouse, and the program I use is a really cheap one called Autodesk SketchBook as I can't spend much money on other programs right now, but any recommendations for better programs for the future would be appreciated! The examples are from within the past 5 months ( And apologies for the large pictures, I draw on a somewhat large canvas so when put in an FR post they can get a bit cramped, you'll have to open them in a different tab if you want to see any smaller parts etc. ) [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/468799349556510740/950103096468582511/unknown.png[/img] [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/468799349556510740/971083072449687612/unknown.png[/img] [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/468799349556510740/943720124597276732/unknown.png[/img]
Hi! I'd appreciate some criticism, I'm a bit nervous to post here and show my work ( It feels like all the little mistakes I missed in the examples are so much more obvious now lol ), but I think some help and advice is very much needed.
I really started developing my style back in 2021 and was pretty happy with how everything was going, and I still am, but I've been noticing that I haven't really been experimenting or changing things too much.
I think I have a general idea of the things I'll need to work on right now, but of course an outside view would help a ton :) thank you for your time!

Extra notes just incase they're needed : I draw with a mouse, and the program I use is a really cheap one called Autodesk SketchBook as I can't spend much money on other programs right now, but any recommendations for better programs for the future would be appreciated!
The examples are from within the past 5 months
( And apologies for the large pictures, I draw on a somewhat large canvas so when put in an FR post they can get a bit cramped, you'll have to open them in a different tab if you want to see any smaller parts etc. )
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
She/Her pronouns button
Pixel art of a sparkling blue 90's computer with the lightning icon on the screen
Hello! Just noticed this forum thread was a thing and honestly I wish I had noticed it sooner ;-; I'm a budding digital artist and I've been kinda exploring my style for the past 2 years or so but I know I have a long, long way to go. It would be great to get some critique for my art, that would be very helpful! I'm more of a creature/animal artist, just to let you know. I use MediBang Paint on mobile (without any of the purchases lol, I manage just fine with what I have) with a finger as my drawing tool. Here are a couple of Flight Rising dragon art pieces: [img]https://i.imgur.com/VPfC7Vj.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/0BawrQG.png[/img] And these are of my own characters: [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/961114653033910292/975623659844689950/export202205061315098230.png[/img] [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/961114653033910292/975623660138266644/export202204232219380470.png[/img] Ack they're so big I'm sorry! I think I understand now my tendency to use 1000x1000 size canvases is kind of a problem. All that aside, thank you so much in advance^^
Hello! Just noticed this forum thread was a thing and honestly I wish I had noticed it sooner ;-;
I'm a budding digital artist and I've been kinda exploring my style for the past 2 years or so but I know I have a long, long way to go. It would be great to get some critique for my art, that would be very helpful!
I'm more of a creature/animal artist, just to let you know.
I use MediBang Paint on mobile (without any of the purchases lol, I manage just fine with what I have) with a finger as my drawing tool.

Here are a couple of Flight Rising dragon art pieces:
VPfC7Vj.png

0BawrQG.png

And these are of my own characters:
export202205061315098230.png

export202204232219380470.png

Ack they're so big I'm sorry!
I think I understand now my tendency to use 1000x1000 size canvases is kind of a problem.
All that aside, thank you so much in advance^^
Temple of Time Hatchery ACOZFAh.png
4lcODb6.png
hh5n4WA.png
lAvpyOQ.png
WKtl2lb.png

Z2soOA2.png
Peeps, there's only one 'd' in my username.
If in doubt, just copy n paste! Thanks!
205d1fb3e4a3f86e3f5d7bdc2e9354d57fbb63cc.png SftyrSi.png
@Amazingdragonlet
oh, that's very cute! i like the colours, and the sketchy feel is very charming.

honestly, I don't think i have that much to say in the way of critique. I'd say that for your current skill level, the most helpful thing to do is just to keep drawing! try to make sure you're doing observational drawings for practice, too - drawing from photos or real life objects/creatures. you can learn a lot more by doing that than you can from copying someone else's drawing. otherwise, I'd say to just keep at it!
@Amazingdragonlet
oh, that's very cute! i like the colours, and the sketchy feel is very charming.

honestly, I don't think i have that much to say in the way of critique. I'd say that for your current skill level, the most helpful thing to do is just to keep drawing! try to make sure you're doing observational drawings for practice, too - drawing from photos or real life objects/creatures. you can learn a lot more by doing that than you can from copying someone else's drawing. otherwise, I'd say to just keep at it!
XfL644W.png
WhPZGJa.png
1 2 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87