Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | i'll critique your art! (rules upd8)
1 2 ... 65 66 67 68 69 ... 86 87
[center]I'd be super grateful for some critique on a few things please! A finished piece from my little pixel adopt shop: [img]https://i.ibb.co/SyYm4kV/FR-Coatl-Derp-4.gif[/img] A headshot from a dta: [img]https://i.ibb.co/THyZ91g/Untitled7-20201203173530.png[/img] And a bit of personal art from a while ago: [img]https://i.ibb.co/3BwzgSW/Untitled445-20201016191203.png[/img]
I'd be super grateful for some critique on a few things please!

A finished piece from my little pixel adopt shop:
FR-Coatl-Derp-4.gif

A headshot from a dta:
Untitled7-20201203173530.png

And a bit of personal art from a while ago:
Untitled445-20201016191203.png
ARAxlYW.png
JvUa9ma.png
xYQkuHQ.png
ca4nyRv.png
FObX7rS.png
q8GsVZI.png
Hello again! Have I improved from last time? [img]https://i.ibb.co/X4gH2dh/Dance-of-Battle-and-Forgetfulness.jpg[/img] This one had a ref [img]https://i.ibb.co/HdpLM2r/Oh-hello-nice-view-here.jpg[/img] This one didn't
Hello again! Have I improved from last time?
Dance-of-Battle-and-Forgetfulness.jpg
This one had a ref
Oh-hello-nice-view-here.jpg
This one didn't
When worry's never helping, tell me, why, why, worry at all?
a53b2111-a1df-11e9-8792-cdcee464383f.gif
Continuum rift RP
@corvidus I would love critique on some of my art, I'm linking two pieces. I got to link the big one to dropbox though because the file is too large to upload anywhere else. Here is a small moose I did though. [img]https://i.imgur.com/k6YzmTi.png[/img] And here is my giant horse, it's pretty detailed if you zoom in. [url=https://www.dropbox.com/s/srzym8055c88ixe/Release%20Clean%20Version.png?dl=0]Click here for giant horse![/url]
@corvidus
I would love critique on some of my art, I'm linking two pieces. I got to link the big one to dropbox though because the file is too large to upload anywhere else.
Here is a small moose I did though.
k6YzmTi.png
And here is my giant horse, it's pretty detailed if you zoom in.
Click here for giant horse!
.....................................................................................................
hatchery
wishlist

she/her/hers•
FR time + 3•

msORH36.png
@corvidus Apologies for the EXTREMELY late reply! I tend to procrastinate a lot when it comes to answering messages OTL But honestly, all I can say is THANK YOU SO MUCH! It's unbelievable how much effort and thought you put in helping fellow artists and giving them useful tips. <33 I'm super grateful for all the critique. C: No worries about mixing up the links - it was very good to get some feedback on the creature ref sheet as well! ;P Only after you pointed it out had I realized that in pictures like reference sheets or quick sketches I'm truly inconsistent with my shading XDD I definitely need to work more with a concrete lightsource while drawing things like these. Thanks a ton! [emoji=heart size=1] And yeah, good reference photos are a blessing! Your tips have helped me tremendously and I'll surely adjust my shading on the comic page. :D Also yup, hair tends to be tricky when it comes to shading, even tho I enjoy shading hair [i]a lot![/i] Once again then: thank you! It's amazing to have a thread like this when various people can get some useful and thoughtful advice. C: I hope you have a wonderful day!
@corvidus Apologies for the EXTREMELY late reply! I tend to procrastinate a lot when it comes to answering messages OTL
But honestly, all I can say is THANK YOU SO MUCH! It's unbelievable how much effort and thought you put in helping fellow artists and giving them useful tips. <33 I'm super grateful for all the critique. C: No worries about mixing up the links - it was very good to get some feedback on the creature ref sheet as well! ;P Only after you pointed it out had I realized that in pictures like reference sheets or quick sketches I'm truly inconsistent with my shading XDD I definitely need to work more with a concrete lightsource while drawing things like these. Thanks a ton!

And yeah, good reference photos are a blessing! Your tips have helped me tremendously and I'll surely adjust my shading on the comic page. :D Also yup, hair tends to be tricky when it comes to shading, even tho I enjoy shading hair a lot!

Once again then: thank you! It's amazing to have a thread like this when various people can get some useful and thoughtful advice. C: I hope you have a wonderful day!
SO, when can I become a Ta'rinashiree finally?

trans man, ace, demiromantic, polyamorous. he/him. pagan.

Please ping me in the forums! I enjoy chatting with y'all :>
it's been a hot minute, so let's crank out a few more of these!

@Pituka - it might just be on my end, but it looks like the links in your post are broken, i can't see the images. i think it might be a problem with imgur? a lot of other images seem to be broken atm (including my own sig, oh nooo!) i'll come back to you as soon as the images are back up!!

@BingoBeans
sure thing! your style is really cute, and i like the background on the first one a lot :) in terms of crit, let's see...

i think my biggest suggestion would be to make sure you're doing lots of observational drawings! it looks like you're at the stage where you have a solid grasp on technique - your basics of colouring, lining, and staging are all looking pretty good! but i think you're still very symbol-focused in your art. when you draw an eye, for example, you're drawing a picture of an eye, rather than a projection of a real object. it's how almost all artists start out - drawing from imagination or memory. but without a lot of practice, your mental image and memory of what something looks like usually isn't enough to properly capture it. observational drawings - trying to draw real things from photos or real life - will help train those observation skills and help you really start building up more robust images in your head.

one other smaller thing is that you could clean up your lineart! sketchy lineart can work, but i'd be wary of 'petting' your lines - drawing a single line in lots of little strokes, which it looks like you've done in a few places. drawing lines in single, smooth strokes can be tricky, but it's something that'll come with practice, and it'll help build up your muscle memory and make your pieces look a little neater!

at the moment you're not really doing anything 'wrong' with your art, it's just a little immature. you'll definitely improve as long as you practice, but like i mentioned above, i'd really recommend regular observational drawings to help fast-track your improvement and start you thinking about tricky topics like volume and perspective. i can already see the beginnings of a great style, though! hope that helps :)
it's been a hot minute, so let's crank out a few more of these!

@Pituka - it might just be on my end, but it looks like the links in your post are broken, i can't see the images. i think it might be a problem with imgur? a lot of other images seem to be broken atm (including my own sig, oh nooo!) i'll come back to you as soon as the images are back up!!

@BingoBeans
sure thing! your style is really cute, and i like the background on the first one a lot :) in terms of crit, let's see...

i think my biggest suggestion would be to make sure you're doing lots of observational drawings! it looks like you're at the stage where you have a solid grasp on technique - your basics of colouring, lining, and staging are all looking pretty good! but i think you're still very symbol-focused in your art. when you draw an eye, for example, you're drawing a picture of an eye, rather than a projection of a real object. it's how almost all artists start out - drawing from imagination or memory. but without a lot of practice, your mental image and memory of what something looks like usually isn't enough to properly capture it. observational drawings - trying to draw real things from photos or real life - will help train those observation skills and help you really start building up more robust images in your head.

one other smaller thing is that you could clean up your lineart! sketchy lineart can work, but i'd be wary of 'petting' your lines - drawing a single line in lots of little strokes, which it looks like you've done in a few places. drawing lines in single, smooth strokes can be tricky, but it's something that'll come with practice, and it'll help build up your muscle memory and make your pieces look a little neater!

at the moment you're not really doing anything 'wrong' with your art, it's just a little immature. you'll definitely improve as long as you practice, but like i mentioned above, i'd really recommend regular observational drawings to help fast-track your improvement and start you thinking about tricky topics like volume and perspective. i can already see the beginnings of a great style, though! hope that helps :)
XfL644W.png
WhPZGJa.png
@corvidus Thank you! Ill definitely take what you said to heart.
@corvidus Thank you! Ill definitely take what you said to heart.
C41-B82-D4-74-CF-41-F7-82-B0-DDEF5-B909503.gif
@Dragonflame4062 sure! i'll start with the little pixel adopt, it's very cute. first thing i notice is that on your thick lines, you've got a lot of 'jaggies' - misplaced or extra pixels that make the lines look chunky and messy. it's kinda hard to explain these, so here's a visual example: [img]https://miro.medium.com/max/568/1*f831MoDvOnw1LO6ZAwtgCA.png[/img] ([url=https://medium.com/pixel-grimoire/how-to-start-making-pixel-art-2d1e31a5ceab]image from here[/url], a really useful tutorial!) pixel art is tricky when it comes to making precise curves and diagonal lines. best practise is usually to eliminate as many unnecessary pixels as possible, like in the diagram above, and to try and make sure the remaining pixels follow a logical pattern. [url=https://miro.medium.com/max/644/1*PKAxzqIFOZGP4rv3sLVlSQ.png]here's another visual example[/url] from the second part of the article linked above. keeping your lines crisp, and making sure you have careful placement for all of your pixels, is what makes pixel art really 'pop'! i'd also say, for me, the adopt would be more effective if it was all in the same pixel scale. the outline is made up of big, chunky pixels, but all the genes and details are on a much smaller pixel scale. i think the mismatch is a little odd, and personally i think it'd be more effective if all the details were also done with those bigger pixels. just my 2c, though! as for your other stuff, i'd mostly give similar critique to what i posted above; at the moment your work's a little flat, and looks like it's drawing a lot from imagination. i'd really recommend doing regular observational drawings! learning to properly visualise your subjects in 3D is pretty tricky, and it's often the biggest stumbling block for artists on the road to improvement. making sure you're drawing a lot from life - either from photos, or real objects, creatures and people around you - is the quickest way to get better at that kind of stuff, and to improve your fundamentals that'll help you take your art even further in the future. i hope that helps!
@Dragonflame4062
sure! i'll start with the little pixel adopt, it's very cute.

first thing i notice is that on your thick lines, you've got a lot of 'jaggies' - misplaced or extra pixels that make the lines look chunky and messy. it's kinda hard to explain these, so here's a visual example:
1*f831MoDvOnw1LO6ZAwtgCA.png
(image from here, a really useful tutorial!)

pixel art is tricky when it comes to making precise curves and diagonal lines. best practise is usually to eliminate as many unnecessary pixels as possible, like in the diagram above, and to try and make sure the remaining pixels follow a logical pattern. here's another visual example from the second part of the article linked above. keeping your lines crisp, and making sure you have careful placement for all of your pixels, is what makes pixel art really 'pop'!

i'd also say, for me, the adopt would be more effective if it was all in the same pixel scale. the outline is made up of big, chunky pixels, but all the genes and details are on a much smaller pixel scale. i think the mismatch is a little odd, and personally i think it'd be more effective if all the details were also done with those bigger pixels. just my 2c, though!

as for your other stuff, i'd mostly give similar critique to what i posted above; at the moment your work's a little flat, and looks like it's drawing a lot from imagination. i'd really recommend doing regular observational drawings! learning to properly visualise your subjects in 3D is pretty tricky, and it's often the biggest stumbling block for artists on the road to improvement. making sure you're drawing a lot from life - either from photos, or real objects, creatures and people around you - is the quickest way to get better at that kind of stuff, and to improve your fundamentals that'll help you take your art even further in the future. i hope that helps!
XfL644W.png
WhPZGJa.png
Huh, never thought about pixel lines like that. But thank you very much for the critique! It helps a lot. :D
Huh, never thought about pixel lines like that. But thank you very much for the critique! It helps a lot. :D
ARAxlYW.png
JvUa9ma.png
xYQkuHQ.png
ca4nyRv.png
FObX7rS.png
q8GsVZI.png
@Pituka ok, sorry for the delay! the images seem to be working now (no idea what the problem with them was), so let's jump on in! first off, i think your sense of style and setting is really strong! the first piece you posted especially feels very 'complete' - all the elements work together to lead the eye really nicely, and the whole thing just pops! i think the version without the glitch effects works slightly better; imo the rendering is strong enough to stand on its own without the extra effects overlaid, but really i think that just comes down to personal taste. i'll start with the boring critique: anatomy. the main thing i'm noticing is that the facial features are kind of 'floating' - it doesn't look like you quite have a grasp of the planes and volumes of the head yet, and how the facial features should sit within that framework. quick redline: [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/e44a83b83adcf23879e2b6c15e622fdf/77d016a6a09a66e1-83/s2048x3072/3947c1fa5611515b1a85ada2f897a9eff76d42fb.png[/img] DISCLAIMER i am still learning human anatomy myself so this is probably pretty shaky lol, don't take it as gospel! it's more of a rough illustrative example. when you're drawing, especially when it comes to tricky areas like faces, try and really think about the [b]volumes[/b] underpinning your subject. it's super useful to get your head around a basic head construction technique (pun intended)! i like the Loomis method where you start with a flat-sided sphere and build from there, but there are of course other methods! i'd shop around and see what clicks for you. an anatomy textbook can be a really helpful next step from there. related to that is lighting! (the reason they're related concepts is that to properly figure out how to light and shade an object, you need to have a good sense of its volumes.) i really like the lighting scheme you've gone for in this picture, it's super dramatic, and overall you stick the landing pretty well. the big thing i'd recommend at this stage is to make sure you're working with good reference photos wherever possible! google is often a big help here - a search for 'portrait lighting' or 'dramatic lighting' can often help you find [url=https://i.pinimg.com/564x/db/85/d1/db85d1831613153a518f30270113dcd1.jpg]examples close to the setup you're going for[/url]. or when all else fails, you can always take your own - either reference selfies, or getting obliging friends and family members to pose for you. (i have a lot of really wacky selfies on my phone from trying to get a pose, angle or lighting setup juuuust right...) more generally, references are just a big help. they can help you nail down details like [url=https://i.pinimg.com/originals/71/59/22/715922e5a775d0c442bcc2feaf896ee3.jpg]how a hood should sit,[/url] how [url=https://img1.thelist.com/img/gallery/struggles-of-long-hair-that-all-girls-can-relate-to/intro-1505233990.jpg]long hair gets blown about[/url], how [url=https://cdn.instructables.com/ORIG/FF3/FYEN/HSPP6QLX/FF3FYENHSPP6QLX.jpg?auto=webp]wax melts on a candle[/url]... i use 'em for everything tbh, because i often find that i don't know how things should look as well as i [i]think [/i]i do. if in doubt, always use a ref! the second image doesn't give me as much to talk about because there's a little less there, but generally i think it's solid! one thing i will point out is, i wish the rendering on the skull was a little sharper. using textured brushes to blend can look really nice, but imo it's also important to have sharp, crisp edges in there where appropriate. compare the fuzziness of the teeth, for example, to the hard edges of the spines. the spines look clear, sharp and impactful, whereas for me the teeth kinda lose some of that edge. think about when to blend, and when to keep things clean! otherwise, as i said, not much to say about this one. it's solid, but i think you could have pushed it a little further to make it as impactful as the top piece. hope that helps! like i mentioned above, i think your style is really strong, and your pieces have great atmosphere! a little more work on your fundamentals should really start to bring your work up.
@Pituka
ok, sorry for the delay! the images seem to be working now (no idea what the problem with them was), so let's jump on in!

first off, i think your sense of style and setting is really strong! the first piece you posted especially feels very 'complete' - all the elements work together to lead the eye really nicely, and the whole thing just pops! i think the version without the glitch effects works slightly better; imo the rendering is strong enough to stand on its own without the extra effects overlaid, but really i think that just comes down to personal taste.

i'll start with the boring critique: anatomy. the main thing i'm noticing is that the facial features are kind of 'floating' - it doesn't look like you quite have a grasp of the planes and volumes of the head yet, and how the facial features should sit within that framework. quick redline:
3947c1fa5611515b1a85ada2f897a9eff76d42fb.png

DISCLAIMER i am still learning human anatomy myself so this is probably pretty shaky lol, don't take it as gospel! it's more of a rough illustrative example. when you're drawing, especially when it comes to tricky areas like faces, try and really think about the volumes underpinning your subject. it's super useful to get your head around a basic head construction technique (pun intended)! i like the Loomis method where you start with a flat-sided sphere and build from there, but there are of course other methods! i'd shop around and see what clicks for you. an anatomy textbook can be a really helpful next step from there.

related to that is lighting! (the reason they're related concepts is that to properly figure out how to light and shade an object, you need to have a good sense of its volumes.) i really like the lighting scheme you've gone for in this picture, it's super dramatic, and overall you stick the landing pretty well. the big thing i'd recommend at this stage is to make sure you're working with good reference photos wherever possible! google is often a big help here - a search for 'portrait lighting' or 'dramatic lighting' can often help you find examples close to the setup you're going for. or when all else fails, you can always take your own - either reference selfies, or getting obliging friends and family members to pose for you. (i have a lot of really wacky selfies on my phone from trying to get a pose, angle or lighting setup juuuust right...)

more generally, references are just a big help. they can help you nail down details like how a hood should sit, how long hair gets blown about, how wax melts on a candle... i use 'em for everything tbh, because i often find that i don't know how things should look as well as i think i do. if in doubt, always use a ref!

the second image doesn't give me as much to talk about because there's a little less there, but generally i think it's solid! one thing i will point out is, i wish the rendering on the skull was a little sharper. using textured brushes to blend can look really nice, but imo it's also important to have sharp, crisp edges in there where appropriate. compare the fuzziness of the teeth, for example, to the hard edges of the spines. the spines look clear, sharp and impactful, whereas for me the teeth kinda lose some of that edge. think about when to blend, and when to keep things clean! otherwise, as i said, not much to say about this one. it's solid, but i think you could have pushed it a little further to make it as impactful as the top piece.

hope that helps! like i mentioned above, i think your style is really strong, and your pieces have great atmosphere! a little more work on your fundamentals should really start to bring your work up.
XfL644W.png
WhPZGJa.png
@Darkshine
hey there!

wow, yeah, there's definitely improvement! you're really getting there with your forms and proportions. the dip in the first picture especially is real nice, you've captured the sense of weight very well, and the background in the second piece is cute. to be honest, i don't think i have any new critique - the biggest thing i'd say for now is just to keep practicing, since you're definitely along the right lines with this so far!

if i was to offer a suggestion, it'd probably be to start doing gesture drawings and figure drawings on a regular basis! working from a reference is really helpful to get a pose right, but when it comes to actually internalising human anatomy, imo there's no better way than to just do loads and loads of figure drawing as practice. and gesture drawings are really helpful to bring a little more fluidity to your art! i think while your poses are definitely coming along, they're still a little 'stiff'. when you're doing a gesture drawing, you keep everything loose and sketchy, and try and focus on the curves of the motion. i think doing that will help you break out of these rigid lines of action a little and bring some more movement into your drawings. hope that helps!
@Darkshine
hey there!

wow, yeah, there's definitely improvement! you're really getting there with your forms and proportions. the dip in the first picture especially is real nice, you've captured the sense of weight very well, and the background in the second piece is cute. to be honest, i don't think i have any new critique - the biggest thing i'd say for now is just to keep practicing, since you're definitely along the right lines with this so far!

if i was to offer a suggestion, it'd probably be to start doing gesture drawings and figure drawings on a regular basis! working from a reference is really helpful to get a pose right, but when it comes to actually internalising human anatomy, imo there's no better way than to just do loads and loads of figure drawing as practice. and gesture drawings are really helpful to bring a little more fluidity to your art! i think while your poses are definitely coming along, they're still a little 'stiff'. when you're doing a gesture drawing, you keep everything loose and sketchy, and try and focus on the curves of the motion. i think doing that will help you break out of these rigid lines of action a little and bring some more movement into your drawings. hope that helps!
XfL644W.png
WhPZGJa.png
1 2 ... 65 66 67 68 69 ... 86 87