Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Seeds of the Stars [Nuzlocke]
1 2
[font=Optima][center][size=6][color=Deeppink]P R O L O G U E[/color][/size][/center][/font] [columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=23397946] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/233980/23397946.png[/img] [/url] [nextcol] "You are certain of this?" Clan leader Fabrial asked, coils winding agitatedly at the news she had just received. She caught herself a moment later and stilled, but after years of seeing her barely twitch in response to bad news, Kalchas could tell that his latest vision had shaken her badly. "You know my visions don't lie," Kalchas replied, because there was nothing else for him to say. "We both know I wish that were not so." Fabrial sighed heavily. "I know," she replied. "But...our lands, completely forsaken? How could that come to pass? How could I possibly live with knowing this will come to pass, regardless of how I fight it?" [/columns] [columns] Kalchas shook his head. "Consult with Clayr," he said, knowing that was exactly what Fabrial would do next. The other seer's predictions were much more fluid, and she could tell when and how things would come to pass - and how to avert them. Kalchas envied her gift. She could affect fate - he could only see it. Fabrial nodded, but absently. Kalchas could see she was already calculating, planning contingencies for contingencies. "I'll talk to her," she said. "But. If total destruction is truly unavoidable..." She gazed upwards, turning her head towards the Observatory. "We must send out seeds. By the Arcanist's grace, may part of us live on, even if the rest must die." [nextcol][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=60706] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/608/60706.png[/img] [/url] [/columns] [columns] Kalchas bowed his head. "By the Arcanist's grace," he echoed. He prayed, as always, that just this once, his vision wouldn't come to pass. He also knew, deep in his heart, it was a futile hope. Seeds of the clan. It was a good emergency plan. Perhaps it would be enough. It would have to be enough.[/columns]
P R O L O G U E

23397946.png
"You are certain of this?" Clan leader Fabrial asked, coils winding agitatedly at the news she had just received. She caught herself a moment later and stilled, but after years of seeing her barely twitch in response to bad news, Kalchas could tell that his latest vision had shaken her badly.

"You know my visions don't lie," Kalchas replied, because there was nothing else for him to say. "We both know I wish that were not so."

Fabrial sighed heavily. "I know," she replied. "But...our lands, completely forsaken? How could that come to pass? How could I possibly live with knowing this will come to pass, regardless of how I fight it?"

Kalchas shook his head. "Consult with Clayr," he said, knowing that was exactly what Fabrial would do next. The other seer's predictions were much more fluid, and she could tell when and how things would come to pass - and how to avert them. Kalchas envied her gift. She could affect fate - he could only see it.

Fabrial nodded, but absently. Kalchas could see she was already calculating, planning contingencies for contingencies. "I'll talk to her," she said. "But. If total destruction is truly unavoidable..." She gazed upwards, turning her head towards the Observatory. "We must send out seeds. By the Arcanist's grace, may part of us live on, even if the rest must die."

60706.png

Kalchas bowed his head. "By the Arcanist's grace," he echoed. He prayed, as always, that just this once, his vision wouldn't come to pass. He also knew, deep in his heart, it was a futile hope.

Seeds of the clan. It was a good emergency plan. Perhaps it would be enough. It would have to be enough.
R U L E S

This will be an adaptation of Demitri's Fortress of Ice rollocke rules.

Because I am partitioning my lair, I'm not going to be following food rules for the sake of my sanity. However, I will be mostly adhering to these rules:
  1. At least one nuzlocke dragon must coli, or I must write lore, on any given day I'm active, or rollocke happens.
  2. Familiars must be dropped while coli grinding, bought with fest currency, or bought via funds obtained from coli grinding to be equipped on nuzlocke dragons.
  3. If a dragon faints in the coli, it's dead. Exalt. roll a dice. 1, it's dead - exalt. Otherwise, I can choose between: the dragon gets a lore reason to leave and gets put on the AH for some number of days before getting exalted if unsold, or the dragon is injured and dies immediately upon fainting in the coli or for a roll between 1-3 on a death streak day.
  4. Hatchlings from nests get a coin flip - by which I mean FR does the coin flip for me. Common eyes die, everything else survives.

As stated above, I must either coli or write lore if I am active on Flight Rising that day, or else the rollocke (and its threat of a death streak) comes into play. Roll a dice:

1: Death streak
For every nuzlocke dragon, roll a dice. If they roll a 1, they die and are exalted. Nesting dragons, and the starter level 25s, are exempt from this.

2: Breed
Breed two nuzlocke dragons. If no dragons are available / it wouldn't make sense for lore reasons, do nothing.

3: New dragon
Buy a dragon. Roll to randomly select the breed, and then buy a dragon that is within 2000t of the cheapest.

The breed rolls are as follows: (thanks, Demitri!)
  1. Bogsneak
  2. Coatl
  3. Tundra
  4. Ridgeback
  5. Fae
  6. Wildclaw
  7. Spiral
  8. Guardian
  9. Pearlcatcher
  10. Mirror
  11. Imperial
  12. Nocturne
  13. Skydancer
  14. Snapper

4: Buy art
I can't draw, so I must buy art for the Nuzlocke on this roll. (I suppose I could take it as an opportunity to learn to draw, but that is more of a time commitment than I have right now.)

5: Non-lethal disaster
Something happens that doesn't directly kill any dragons (so not a death streak), but is a major setback. For example, the lair collapses/floods. If I don't write lore between this roll and the next roll, and the next roll is a death streak, the life/death chance is a coin flip for every dragon. (Nesting dragons and the starter level 25s are still exempt.)

6: Nat 20!
Some great fortune befalls the nuzlocke dragons! I must write lore to bank it - if so, the lair is immune to the next death streak roll. Otherwise, nothing happens.

---
Additionally, because I'm a wimp: If a dragon dies, I can choose to throw it into my main lair or attempt to sell it instead of immediately exalting, as long as I write lore for it.
R U L E S

This will be an adaptation of Demitri's Fortress of Ice rollocke rules.

Because I am partitioning my lair, I'm not going to be following food rules for the sake of my sanity. However, I will be mostly adhering to these rules:
  1. At least one nuzlocke dragon must coli, or I must write lore, on any given day I'm active, or rollocke happens.
  2. Familiars must be dropped while coli grinding, bought with fest currency, or bought via funds obtained from coli grinding to be equipped on nuzlocke dragons.
  3. If a dragon faints in the coli, it's dead. Exalt. roll a dice. 1, it's dead - exalt. Otherwise, I can choose between: the dragon gets a lore reason to leave and gets put on the AH for some number of days before getting exalted if unsold, or the dragon is injured and dies immediately upon fainting in the coli or for a roll between 1-3 on a death streak day.
  4. Hatchlings from nests get a coin flip - by which I mean FR does the coin flip for me. Common eyes die, everything else survives.

As stated above, I must either coli or write lore if I am active on Flight Rising that day, or else the rollocke (and its threat of a death streak) comes into play. Roll a dice:

1: Death streak
For every nuzlocke dragon, roll a dice. If they roll a 1, they die and are exalted. Nesting dragons, and the starter level 25s, are exempt from this.

2: Breed
Breed two nuzlocke dragons. If no dragons are available / it wouldn't make sense for lore reasons, do nothing.

3: New dragon
Buy a dragon. Roll to randomly select the breed, and then buy a dragon that is within 2000t of the cheapest.

The breed rolls are as follows: (thanks, Demitri!)
  1. Bogsneak
  2. Coatl
  3. Tundra
  4. Ridgeback
  5. Fae
  6. Wildclaw
  7. Spiral
  8. Guardian
  9. Pearlcatcher
  10. Mirror
  11. Imperial
  12. Nocturne
  13. Skydancer
  14. Snapper

4: Buy art
I can't draw, so I must buy art for the Nuzlocke on this roll. (I suppose I could take it as an opportunity to learn to draw, but that is more of a time commitment than I have right now.)

5: Non-lethal disaster
Something happens that doesn't directly kill any dragons (so not a death streak), but is a major setback. For example, the lair collapses/floods. If I don't write lore between this roll and the next roll, and the next roll is a death streak, the life/death chance is a coin flip for every dragon. (Nesting dragons and the starter level 25s are still exempt.)

6: Nat 20!
Some great fortune befalls the nuzlocke dragons! I must write lore to bank it - if so, the lair is immune to the next death streak roll. Otherwise, nothing happens.

---
Additionally, because I'm a wimp: If a dragon dies, I can choose to throw it into my main lair or attempt to sell it instead of immediately exalting, as long as I write lore for it.
[font=Optima][center][size=6][color=Deeppink]C A S T[/color][/size][/center][/font] [center][url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=2436387] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/24364/2436387_350.png[/img] [/url] [b]Sacred[/b] [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=2480031] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/24801/2480031_350.png[/img] [/url] [b]Renegade[/b][/center]
C A S T

2436387_350.png

Sacred

2480031_350.png

Renegade
O T H E R

Chapter index:
Day 0 pt 1
Day 0 pt 2
Day 1
Day 2 pt 1
Day 2 pt 2

Pinglist:
Solaristigres, Dragonfruiteen
O T H E R

Chapter index:
Day 0 pt 1
Day 0 pt 2
Day 1
Day 2 pt 1
Day 2 pt 2

Pinglist:
Solaristigres, Dragonfruiteen
[font=Optima][center][size=6][color=Deeppink]DAY 0 [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/24364/2436387.png[/img][/color][/size][/center][/font] [i]Leave this clan. Take this egg and go as far as you can; don't come back for at least a year. Join another clan if you must, but start your own, if you can, if you value this one.[/i] It had been two days since Fabrial had given Sacred and Renegade this mission, and they had been traveling almost nonstop. Sacred glanced over at her mate, but he traveled resolutely forward, never stopping, his helmet obscuring his expression. Two days. Two days of relentless traveling, knowing there was nothing awaiting them at the end but hardship. Sacred wondered, not for the first time, if they had committed some unknown crime, and this was simply a roundabout way of exiling them. She had [i]liked[/i] this clan. She was glad to have left Plague territory, to have finally found a clan with the kindness to take them in and keep them, without expecting them to pay it back with bloodshed. It had seemed too good to be true, and perhaps it was. And yet, the egg she carried with her, carefully nestled inside a feather-lined bag spelled to keep it warm, said otherwise. Fabrial's own child, entrusted to them. Sacred nudged the bag gently, resisting the urge to open it and check on the egg mid-journey. Her maternal instincts screamed at her to stop traveling, to brood the egg properly. She ignored the compulsion. Better to find a safe place to settle first. Fabrial and her mate, Ekim, hadn't nested in a long time, preferring to take in hatchlings who needed a new home instead. But Fabrial had handed the egg over to Sacred when entrusting them with this mission. The two clan leaders had been blessed with special abilities by the Arcanist; it was Fabrial's hope that those blessings might live on in their hatchling, safely away from whatever calamity might befall the clan. That if she and Ekim didn't survive whatever happened, a dragon with their talents and values might return to rebuild. "We're about to reach the Starwood Strand," Renegade called out, breaking through Sacred's thoughts. "We might be far enough away once we've crossed. Let's look for a place to stay in there, at least for a little while." Sacred nodded, and followed as her mate dove, down from the floating island of the Focal Point and into the starry trees.
DAY 0

2436387.png

Leave this clan. Take this egg and go as far as you can; don't come back for at least a year. Join another clan if you must, but start your own, if you can, if you value this one.

It had been two days since Fabrial had given Sacred and Renegade this mission, and they had been traveling almost nonstop. Sacred glanced over at her mate, but he traveled resolutely forward, never stopping, his helmet obscuring his expression.

Two days. Two days of relentless traveling, knowing there was nothing awaiting them at the end but hardship. Sacred wondered, not for the first time, if they had committed some unknown crime, and this was simply a roundabout way of exiling them. She had liked this clan. She was glad to have left Plague territory, to have finally found a clan with the kindness to take them in and keep them, without expecting them to pay it back with bloodshed. It had seemed too good to be true, and perhaps it was.

And yet, the egg she carried with her, carefully nestled inside a feather-lined bag spelled to keep it warm, said otherwise. Fabrial's own child, entrusted to them. Sacred nudged the bag gently, resisting the urge to open it and check on the egg mid-journey. Her maternal instincts screamed at her to stop traveling, to brood the egg properly. She ignored the compulsion. Better to find a safe place to settle first.

Fabrial and her mate, Ekim, hadn't nested in a long time, preferring to take in hatchlings who needed a new home instead. But Fabrial had handed the egg over to Sacred when entrusting them with this mission. The two clan leaders had been blessed with special abilities by the Arcanist; it was Fabrial's hope that those blessings might live on in their hatchling, safely away from whatever calamity might befall the clan. That if she and Ekim didn't survive whatever happened, a dragon with their talents and values might return to rebuild.

"We're about to reach the Starwood Strand," Renegade called out, breaking through Sacred's thoughts. "We might be far enough away once we've crossed. Let's look for a place to stay in there, at least for a little while."

Sacred nodded, and followed as her mate dove, down from the floating island of the Focal Point and into the starry trees.
[center][img]https://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/577.png[/img][/center] Sacred and Renegade soared wide, swooping arcs over the Starwood for a while, surveying the area to identify a suitable place to set down. From above, the trees all looked the same, their glowing leaves forming a seemingly impenetrable cover. But if a dragon knew where to look, well. "There," Sacred called, pointing with her claw. Renegade followed the direction she pointed, scanning, then nodding as he saw what she'd spotted - a subtle pattern of breaks in the canopy, signifying a particularly proud tree that had successfully clawed out some space from its competitors. Not too unlike dragon clans, Sacred considered, as they spiraled down through the leaves to investigate the tree. With any luck, it would just be a large tree, with places to rest at its base, but not yet claimed by any dragons or beastclan. They landed a few paces away, just in case. They approached cautiously, ready to run in case of trouble. Sacred and Renegade had both been skilled mercenaries in another life, with all the fighting skill such a life required. But it had also taught them time and again that running was usually a better option when trouble found them. Fights were too likely to leave them injured, and possibly dead. Renegade led, his armor better at hiding his stark white scales, letting him blend into the shadows better than Sacred could. The base of the tree seemed safe enough. The roots were raised, forming nooks that looked large enough to house a dragon or two, but the area around it bore no signs of recent extended use, by dragons or anything else. As they approached, though, Renegade halted, holding up a claw to signal Sacred to do the same. "What is it?" Sacred whispered. "It might be nothing," Renegade replied. "I'll be right back. You watch my back out here, alright?" Sacred nodded, spreading herself into a steadier, ready stance, and kept her eyes and ears alert for trouble. Nothing smelled wrong - the first sense that usually alerted her to danger, but it never hurt to be thorough. Renegade strode forward towards the tree and disappeared into one of the crannies between the roots. He popped back out only a second later, his expression unreadable. "What did you find?" Sacred asked. "Come look," Renegade responded. Well, nothing particularly dangerous, then, Sacred supposed. She followed her mate into the space. It would make for a good place to shelter temporarily. Possibly even for a while. It was a larger space than it looked from outside, easily fitting both of them, and was therefore a good shelter from the elements that was also relatively discreet. Assuming what Renegade had found wasn't a problem, of course. "I found this," Renegade said, right on cue. He moved to the side, giving Sacred a clear view, and she gasped as she realized what she was seeing. Evidently other dragons had had the same thought as her. Nestled in a corner was the remains of a nest. From the looks of it, even when the eggs had been alive, it had been a rushed, crude affair. The materials had been piled together haphazardly, with no regard for structural soundness, and so it had collapsed in several places. One egg had tumbled out and presumably met its end that way - two others, similarly cracked and dull, sat precariously balanced in the remains. Sacred drew closer to inspect further. The egg she herself carried in its bag felt like it could burn into her side. It would not end up like these abandoned ones, not if she could help it. And then she gasped, as a tiny, almost imperceptible sound caught her ears. She shook her head, trying to convince herself she'd imagined it, when she heard it again - a tiny, feeble tapping. Sacred turned her head, triangulating - it was definitely coming from the nest. She all but climbed in among the broken scaffolding and tattered cloth, ignoring Renegade's surprised objections, and dug around. The two remaining dead eggs shook at the disturbance and then, slowly, one after the other, plopped dully onto the ground. "What's come over you?" Renegade exclaimed. "Surely you could-" He clapped his mouth shut as Sacred emerged from her digging. Held gently in her claws was a small purple egg, gently pulsing in the way Arcane eggs did. Still very much alive. It had been hidden beneath a particularly large pile of scraps, and by some blessing or sheer dumb luck, had escaped the fate of its siblings. Sacred gently opened the bag with the egg they'd been entrusted with and deposited the new egg inside. The bag wasn't designed to carry more than one egg, bulging awkwardly and refusing to close until she carefully arranged the two eggs just right. "Looks like we're going to have one more hatchling than expected," she said when she finished. She gazed at Renegade, daring him to object. Renegade opened his mouth, and then closed it again with a sigh. Sacred could see in his eyes as he mentally shifted plans, changing calculations he'd probably just made a few minutes ago upon finding this shelter. "Come on," he finally said. "We need to find some materials to build you a better nest."
577.png
Sacred and Renegade soared wide, swooping arcs over the Starwood for a while, surveying the area to identify a suitable place to set down. From above, the trees all looked the same, their glowing leaves forming a seemingly impenetrable cover.

But if a dragon knew where to look, well. "There," Sacred called, pointing with her claw. Renegade followed the direction she pointed, scanning, then nodding as he saw what she'd spotted - a subtle pattern of breaks in the canopy, signifying a particularly proud tree that had successfully clawed out some space from its competitors.

Not too unlike dragon clans, Sacred considered, as they spiraled down through the leaves to investigate the tree. With any luck, it would just be a large tree, with places to rest at its base, but not yet claimed by any dragons or beastclan. They landed a few paces away, just in case.

They approached cautiously, ready to run in case of trouble. Sacred and Renegade had both been skilled mercenaries in another life, with all the fighting skill such a life required. But it had also taught them time and again that running was usually a better option when trouble found them. Fights were too likely to leave them injured, and possibly dead.

Renegade led, his armor better at hiding his stark white scales, letting him blend into the shadows better than Sacred could. The base of the tree seemed safe enough. The roots were raised, forming nooks that looked large enough to house a dragon or two, but the area around it bore no signs of recent extended use, by dragons or anything else. As they approached, though, Renegade halted, holding up a claw to signal Sacred to do the same.

"What is it?" Sacred whispered.

"It might be nothing," Renegade replied. "I'll be right back. You watch my back out here, alright?"

Sacred nodded, spreading herself into a steadier, ready stance, and kept her eyes and ears alert for trouble. Nothing smelled wrong - the first sense that usually alerted her to danger, but it never hurt to be thorough. Renegade strode forward towards the tree and disappeared into one of the crannies between the roots.

He popped back out only a second later, his expression unreadable. "What did you find?" Sacred asked.

"Come look," Renegade responded.

Well, nothing particularly dangerous, then, Sacred supposed. She followed her mate into the space. It would make for a good place to shelter temporarily. Possibly even for a while. It was a larger space than it looked from outside, easily fitting both of them, and was therefore a good shelter from the elements that was also relatively discreet. Assuming what Renegade had found wasn't a problem, of course.

"I found this," Renegade said, right on cue. He moved to the side, giving Sacred a clear view, and she gasped as she realized what she was seeing.

Evidently other dragons had had the same thought as her. Nestled in a corner was the remains of a nest. From the looks of it, even when the eggs had been alive, it had been a rushed, crude affair. The materials had been piled together haphazardly, with no regard for structural soundness, and so it had collapsed in several places. One egg had tumbled out and presumably met its end that way - two others, similarly cracked and dull, sat precariously balanced in the remains.

Sacred drew closer to inspect further. The egg she herself carried in its bag felt like it could burn into her side. It would not end up like these abandoned ones, not if she could help it.

And then she gasped, as a tiny, almost imperceptible sound caught her ears. She shook her head, trying to convince herself she'd imagined it, when she heard it again - a tiny, feeble tapping. Sacred turned her head, triangulating - it was definitely coming from the nest. She all but climbed in among the broken scaffolding and tattered cloth, ignoring Renegade's surprised objections, and dug around. The two remaining dead eggs shook at the disturbance and then, slowly, one after the other, plopped dully onto the ground.

"What's come over you?" Renegade exclaimed. "Surely you could-"

He clapped his mouth shut as Sacred emerged from her digging. Held gently in her claws was a small purple egg, gently pulsing in the way Arcane eggs did. Still very much alive. It had been hidden beneath a particularly large pile of scraps, and by some blessing or sheer dumb luck, had escaped the fate of its siblings.

Sacred gently opened the bag with the egg they'd been entrusted with and deposited the new egg inside. The bag wasn't designed to carry more than one egg, bulging awkwardly and refusing to close until she carefully arranged the two eggs just right. "Looks like we're going to have one more hatchling than expected," she said when she finished. She gazed at Renegade, daring him to object.

Renegade opened his mouth, and then closed it again with a sigh. Sacred could see in his eyes as he mentally shifted plans, changing calculations he'd probably just made a few minutes ago upon finding this shelter.

"Come on," he finally said. "We need to find some materials to build you a better nest."
[font=Optima][center][size=6][color=Deeppink]DAY 1[/color][/size][/center][/font] [center][b]Notable coli drops:[/b] [item=Murkbottom Gull][item=Tradewinds Gull][item=Riptide Clipper][item=Teardrop Citrine Pendant][item=Vial of Hypnotic Sight][/center] [center]---[/center] [center][img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/24364/2436387.png[/img][/center] Despite Renegade's declaration, they did not immediately go out and scavenge for nest materials. The most pressing priority was rest - the first proper one they'd had since setting out. They slept in three hour shifts, trading off for three cycles - absolutely leisurely compared to the hour long naps they'd snatched earlier in their journey. Now that they'd found a place they could settle down in for a while, it was a luxury they could afford again. Then it was time to gather supplies. The benefit of being in the Starwood Strand was that it was, well, a strand. Being dragons who ate only seafood, this was ideal. Fabrial had made sure to send them off with packs full of food, healing potions, and battle stones, but they could hardly rely on those supplies forever. After a brief argument - Renegade wanted Sacred to stay behind in the makeshift lair and guard their things, which of course Sacred refused to do - they took their packs and set out to where the trees receded and the shore met the sea. Sacred hummed with pleasure as their claws sank into the sandy beach. She loved the sea and its salt-tanged breeze, the sun shattering against its surface like a multi-faceted jewel. She hadn't had the occasion to visit it for a long time. It was a shame it took exile to bring her to it again. After a bit of searching, they found a large cove, perfect for harvesting. At high tide the sea washed a bounty of ocean creatures into tide pools up the beach, and when the waves receded again, all manner of tasty fish found themselves trapped. Sometimes the sea left behind other gifts, too. Renegade nearly stepped on a magical vial, and Sacred found a necklace amid a particularly dense school of fish, presumably attracted by the shiny trinket. They worked quickly, gathering up armfuls of fish and mussels, some to eat fresh, but mostly to preserve for later. Fortunately, one of the dragons from their clan had had the foresight to pack them some foldable baskets. Sacred built a fire on high ground and began gutting and smoking their harvest, filling the baskets, as Renegade continued to harvest the pools. Their hunt for food was a race against time. When the tide rose again, the tide pools would be engulfed, freeing the trapped seafood - but that was only secondary to what else the tide brought. Their clan had made various contracts with their local maren tribes, regarding how much could be fished from where. Out here, though, far from home, the two dragons had no such agreements. They had no wish to find out how hostile the maren tribes here might be. As Renegade continued to forage, first for fish, then for seaweed and waterbugs in preparation for the hatchlings, Sacred methodically cleaned and worked on preserving the food. Every so often a stray breeze blew the smoke right into her face, making her eyes water and drying out her tongue. Her work had also attracted flocks and flocks of gulls - they circled overhead, watching, waiting for her to lower her guard, swooping down to steal some fish when she was distracted. To her dismay, a few gulls succeeded, shrieking their victory as they snatched a fish and swooped away, chased by a cloud of compatriots all squabbling for a share of the prize. Sacred whined with irritation and swiped at the next bird that dove for her fish. Her claws slashed deep into the unlucky gull, killing it. The other gulls, seeing the sight, screeched with alarm and flew away. Sacred sighed in relief and moved the gull carcass to the pile of food to process. Fortunately, she had finished with most of the fish. The sun was high in the sky and warm, and she doubted the seafood would keep much longer. She gutted and filleted the ones that remained, turning her mind to the question of the eggs as she worked. For now she could safely leave them in the bag, but as both eggs continued to grow, they wouldn't be able to fit for much longer. Besides, the bag wasn't meant to be a long term substitute for proper brooding, especially for more than one egg - they needed to be turned properly every few hours, and Sacred didn't want to think about what would happen if one started hatching while still in the bag. But if she took up brooding full time, then Renegade would have to hunt and forage alone, for four. The more they gathered today, the more leeway they would have, but she didn't much like the idea even so. She looked up from her musing to see two gulls, one brown and one green, by her baskets, examining the smoked fish. She jumped up, waving, fish knife still in her claws. "Get away!" she scolded, hoping to startle them enough into leaving without stealing anything. To her surprise, the gulls didn't scatter, but they did obey her command, waddling away from the basket and towards her. Sacred eyed them warily, but the two birds settled beside her, seemingly content merely to watch her work. Well, that was certainly something. Sacred had been burying the fish offal, but as she gutted the last two fish, she flicked the innards at the two gulls. They screeched and hopped about, clearly delighted, and made short work of the offering. Then they waddled closer, chirping, for all the world like hatchlings begging for food. Renegade chose that moment to pop back in with an armful of seaweed. "What's this?" he asked, looking at the birds. Sacred shrugged, grabbing the seaweed from him and helping to spread it by the fire to dry. "I think we just got some new pets." "You would," Renegade sighed. "We're about to have two hatchlings out in the middle of nowhere, and you adopt two birds on top of that." He grumbled, but Sacred could see the amused affection in his eyes, and, when he thought she wasn't looking, she saw him slip the birds a clam. Sacred watched the two birds squabble over the treat, watched the tide slowly come in, the sound of the waves slapping against the sand growing louder and louder as it approached. Below her, Renegade ran between the waves, ostensibly checking to see what the sea left behind, but Sacred suspected he was enjoying sending the shorebirds scattering. [i]Everything is going to be fine,[/i] Sacred thought as she tended the fire, oddly content. It was going to be hard, but every clan had to start somewhere. There were worse ways to start than this.
DAY 1
Notable coli drops:
Murkbottom Gull Tradewinds Gull Riptide Clipper Teardrop Citrine Pendant Vial of Hypnotic Sight
---
2436387.png

Despite Renegade's declaration, they did not immediately go out and scavenge for nest materials. The most pressing priority was rest - the first proper one they'd had since setting out. They slept in three hour shifts, trading off for three cycles - absolutely leisurely compared to the hour long naps they'd snatched earlier in their journey. Now that they'd found a place they could settle down in for a while, it was a luxury they could afford again.

Then it was time to gather supplies. The benefit of being in the Starwood Strand was that it was, well, a strand. Being dragons who ate only seafood, this was ideal. Fabrial had made sure to send them off with packs full of food, healing potions, and battle stones, but they could hardly rely on those supplies forever. After a brief argument - Renegade wanted Sacred to stay behind in the makeshift lair and guard their things, which of course Sacred refused to do - they took their packs and set out to where the trees receded and the shore met the sea. Sacred hummed with pleasure as their claws sank into the sandy beach. She loved the sea and its salt-tanged breeze, the sun shattering against its surface like a multi-faceted jewel. She hadn't had the occasion to visit it for a long time. It was a shame it took exile to bring her to it again.

After a bit of searching, they found a large cove, perfect for harvesting. At high tide the sea washed a bounty of ocean creatures into tide pools up the beach, and when the waves receded again, all manner of tasty fish found themselves trapped. Sometimes the sea left behind other gifts, too. Renegade nearly stepped on a magical vial, and Sacred found a necklace amid a particularly dense school of fish, presumably attracted by the shiny trinket.

They worked quickly, gathering up armfuls of fish and mussels, some to eat fresh, but mostly to preserve for later. Fortunately, one of the dragons from their clan had had the foresight to pack them some foldable baskets. Sacred built a fire on high ground and began gutting and smoking their harvest, filling the baskets, as Renegade continued to harvest the pools.

Their hunt for food was a race against time. When the tide rose again, the tide pools would be engulfed, freeing the trapped seafood - but that was only secondary to what else the tide brought. Their clan had made various contracts with their local maren tribes, regarding how much could be fished from where. Out here, though, far from home, the two dragons had no such agreements. They had no wish to find out how hostile the maren tribes here might be.

As Renegade continued to forage, first for fish, then for seaweed and waterbugs in preparation for the hatchlings, Sacred methodically cleaned and worked on preserving the food. Every so often a stray breeze blew the smoke right into her face, making her eyes water and drying out her tongue. Her work had also attracted flocks and flocks of gulls - they circled overhead, watching, waiting for her to lower her guard, swooping down to steal some fish when she was distracted. To her dismay, a few gulls succeeded, shrieking their victory as they snatched a fish and swooped away, chased by a cloud of compatriots all squabbling for a share of the prize.

Sacred whined with irritation and swiped at the next bird that dove for her fish. Her claws slashed deep into the unlucky gull, killing it. The other gulls, seeing the sight, screeched with alarm and flew away.

Sacred sighed in relief and moved the gull carcass to the pile of food to process. Fortunately, she had finished with most of the fish. The sun was high in the sky and warm, and she doubted the seafood would keep much longer. She gutted and filleted the ones that remained, turning her mind to the question of the eggs as she worked.

For now she could safely leave them in the bag, but as both eggs continued to grow, they wouldn't be able to fit for much longer. Besides, the bag wasn't meant to be a long term substitute for proper brooding, especially for more than one egg - they needed to be turned properly every few hours, and Sacred didn't want to think about what would happen if one started hatching while still in the bag. But if she took up brooding full time, then Renegade would have to hunt and forage alone, for four. The more they gathered today, the more leeway they would have, but she didn't much like the idea even so.

She looked up from her musing to see two gulls, one brown and one green, by her baskets, examining the smoked fish. She jumped up, waving, fish knife still in her claws. "Get away!" she scolded, hoping to startle them enough into leaving without stealing anything.

To her surprise, the gulls didn't scatter, but they did obey her command, waddling away from the basket and towards her. Sacred eyed them warily, but the two birds settled beside her, seemingly content merely to watch her work.

Well, that was certainly something. Sacred had been burying the fish offal, but as she gutted the last two fish, she flicked the innards at the two gulls. They screeched and hopped about, clearly delighted, and made short work of the offering. Then they waddled closer, chirping, for all the world like hatchlings begging for food.

Renegade chose that moment to pop back in with an armful of seaweed. "What's this?" he asked, looking at the birds.

Sacred shrugged, grabbing the seaweed from him and helping to spread it by the fire to dry. "I think we just got some new pets."

"You would," Renegade sighed. "We're about to have two hatchlings out in the middle of nowhere, and you adopt two birds on top of that." He grumbled, but Sacred could see the amused affection in his eyes, and, when he thought she wasn't looking, she saw him slip the birds a clam.

Sacred watched the two birds squabble over the treat, watched the tide slowly come in, the sound of the waves slapping against the sand growing louder and louder as it approached. Below her, Renegade ran between the waves, ostensibly checking to see what the sea left behind, but Sacred suspected he was enjoying sending the shorebirds scattering.

Everything is going to be fine, Sacred thought as she tended the fire, oddly content. It was going to be hard, but every clan had to start somewhere. There were worse ways to start than this.
[font=Optima][center][size=6][color=Deeppink]DAY 2[/color][/size][/center][/font] [center][b]Notable coli drops:[/b] [item=Tradewinds Gull]x2 [item=Waveswell Sorcerer][item=Mottled Sea Serpent][item=Twilight Rose Thorn Stockings][/center] [center]---[/center] [center][img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/24364/2436387.png[/img][/center] Their haul from the trip to the cove had been very good. Sacred and Renegade carried their baskets, stacked high with food, back to the root cave. The gulls had decided to follow, as did a Riptide Clipper that had apparently taken a liking to Renegade as he was chasing shorebirds. They spent the rest of the day figuring out where to put their food stockpile. After some sniffing and digging around, Renegade discovered that a nearby, smaller tree had been gently hollowed out, with the remnants of a previous clan's larder still inside. Some of it was still salvageable, too. They threw out everything beyond saving, and stashed their hoard inside. The clipper observed their comings and goings with its beady eyestalks and, when they were done, apparently appointed itself the guard, stationing itself by the tree and waving its claws menacingly at any wildlife that came too close. After sleeping for the night, Sacred and Renegade conferred briefly and decided to spend one more day stockpiling food together before Sacred began properly brooding the eggs. So they set off for the cove again the next morning. Sacred brought the eggs with her, but they left most of their supplies behind with the clipper. Renegade hid it well, but Sacred could tell from experience he was anxious - every line in his body was taught as they flew back towards the cove. "Penny for your thoughts," Sacred finally said, as they approached their landing. The two gulls had come along - they squawked, long and loud, and zipped on ahead to land on the beach and squabble with their compatriots. Renegade shrugged, and for a moment it seemed like he wouldn't answer. Then he sighed. "I'm worried that we're making a huge mistake, trusting a clipper to guard all our things," he said. Sacred shook her head. "It was that or haul everything around. Besides, it did a good job guarding our food last night." Renegade shrugged again. "While we were around. I don't like it." "I know you don't," Sacred said. "But we don't have a lot of options." If she was being honest, the situation made her anxious too, but it wasn't something she could control, so she tried not to worry about it. Besides, they'd taken the battle stones and potions with them - everything else was relatively easy to recover, but the battle supplies would take long, hard work to replenish. They split up at the cove into their respective jobs once more, Renegade gathering, Sacred processing. The flocks of gulls were more wary today, though they soon realized that Sacred had no objections to them picking at her pile of fish guts. Two more gulls wandered right up to Sacred, squawking conversationally with the ones that had attached themselves to her the day before. It was shaping up to be a rather uneventful day - so of course, that didn't last.
DAY 2
Notable coli drops:
Tradewinds Gull x2 Waveswell Sorcerer Mottled Sea Serpent Twilight Rose Thorn Stockings
---
2436387.png

Their haul from the trip to the cove had been very good. Sacred and Renegade carried their baskets, stacked high with food, back to the root cave. The gulls had decided to follow, as did a Riptide Clipper that had apparently taken a liking to Renegade as he was chasing shorebirds.

They spent the rest of the day figuring out where to put their food stockpile. After some sniffing and digging around, Renegade discovered that a nearby, smaller tree had been gently hollowed out, with the remnants of a previous clan's larder still inside. Some of it was still salvageable, too. They threw out everything beyond saving, and stashed their hoard inside. The clipper observed their comings and goings with its beady eyestalks and, when they were done, apparently appointed itself the guard, stationing itself by the tree and waving its claws menacingly at any wildlife that came too close.

After sleeping for the night, Sacred and Renegade conferred briefly and decided to spend one more day stockpiling food together before Sacred began properly brooding the eggs. So they set off for the cove again the next morning. Sacred brought the eggs with her, but they left most of their supplies behind with the clipper.

Renegade hid it well, but Sacred could tell from experience he was anxious - every line in his body was taught as they flew back towards the cove.

"Penny for your thoughts," Sacred finally said, as they approached their landing. The two gulls had come along - they squawked, long and loud, and zipped on ahead to land on the beach and squabble with their compatriots.

Renegade shrugged, and for a moment it seemed like he wouldn't answer. Then he sighed. "I'm worried that we're making a huge mistake, trusting a clipper to guard all our things," he said.

Sacred shook her head. "It was that or haul everything around. Besides, it did a good job guarding our food last night."

Renegade shrugged again. "While we were around. I don't like it."

"I know you don't," Sacred said. "But we don't have a lot of options." If she was being honest, the situation made her anxious too, but it wasn't something she could control, so she tried not to worry about it. Besides, they'd taken the battle stones and potions with them - everything else was relatively easy to recover, but the battle supplies would take long, hard work to replenish.

They split up at the cove into their respective jobs once more, Renegade gathering, Sacred processing. The flocks of gulls were more wary today, though they soon realized that Sacred had no objections to them picking at her pile of fish guts. Two more gulls wandered right up to Sacred, squawking conversationally with the ones that had attached themselves to her the day before.

It was shaping up to be a rather uneventful day - so of course, that didn't last.
@Kestrad Loving it so far and wondering if you where going to do a Pinglist if so I´d love to be on it
@Kestrad Loving it so far and wondering if you where going to do a Pinglist if so I´d love to be on it
wQA8k.gif fy4en.gif

MRJWRkO.png
@Solaristigres

Glad you like it! I'm happy to ping you for updates :3 You get to be the first person on my pinglist!
@Solaristigres

Glad you like it! I'm happy to ping you for updates :3 You get to be the first person on my pinglist!
1 2