Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [Lore] Paper Trails
1 2 3 4 5 6
[right][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/479927/47992663p.png[/img][/right] [right][u]Chickweed’s Guide[/u] [/right] [center][b]The Flights, listed from most to least tolerable[/b][/center] [u]Wind[/u] If you think its cheating to list my own flight as my favorite, you clearly underestimate the sheer perfection of the Windswept Plateau. There are very few territorial disputes there, and with the exception to the Maren off the coast, the Beastclans are amicable and good trade partners. Larger industry exists at the borders, but most clans are semi-civilized, with most clans still hunting for most of their food. It’s a lovely way to live, with enough modern conveniences to be comfortable, but not enough to overwhelm the landscape. I only hope that the rest of dragonkind fails to realize this. I’d hate for my home to suddenly be sold off as prime real estate.(9/10) [u]Earth[/u] I had a rather low opinion of the Earth Flight before I had to live there. The Crystal Court sounded entertaining, but the idea of royalty has always rubbed me the wrong way. It still does, actually, but after living there, I couldn’t help be charmed by the rich history of the royal bloodlines. The architecture is quite impressive as well. I never knew that caves could be developed into such beautiful, open spaces, and everything is just so old. In my home flight, dragons tend to value the new and the original, and there’s little fuss over history. However, while I lived in Dragonhome, every Snapper I met seemed to be able to trace their genealogy back to King Meinhard, one of the last kings before Dragonhome split into princedoms. This always confused me. If he even existed, he couldn’t have fathered everyone’s great-great-great-great-great-etc grandmother. It doesn’t make sense. History aside, the Flight appears to be doing quite well for itself economically. Between mining and glass production, Dragonhome has one of the most stable economies in the content. It’s a pity that it might all be gone soon with the Dragonhome takeover. I wish them well and I’m glad I got out while I still could. (8/10) [u]Light[/u] If I had to settle down in one place other than the Windswept Plateau, I would choose the Promenade. It has libraries. It has the most gorgeous cityscapes I’ve ever seen. It has the most reputable universities on the continent. And by the way, the sunsets are gorgeous. I admit, city life is more stressful than the towns in the Windswept Plateau, but it almost makes up for it with the sheer amount of available resources. You can buy anything you want in Light cities, and while lair space is getting increasingly more expensive, work is relatively easy to come by. Sure, there’s a concentration of pretentious, old-money art enthusiasts, but they stay in their own circles and are easily ignored. (8/10) [u]Arcane[/u] I spent much of my youth at a University in the Starfall Isles, and it was decent enough. Arcane Flighters tend to favor cities over the wilderness like the Light Flight does, and it has a very high literacy rate. My education enabled me to make myself a career and support myself for most of my life, and my memories of the Starfall Isles are largely positive. The landscape is quite pretty, and it has a few delicious species of fish that I’ve never found anywhere else. That said, Arcane Flighters have their fair share of eccentricities. There are religious fanatics in every corner of the continent, but there seems to be more in the Starfall Isles than anywhere else. The devoted take the Arcanist very seriously, and some have been actively trying to call him back to Sornieth. No harm has come of it yet, but apparently the vague rituals they do are getting more and more intense. (7/10) [u]Water[/u] The Water Flight is the best at minding their own business than any other flight. I suppose it helps that the vast majority of the population live underwater. Few outflighters want to get themselves wet, and few Water Flighters want to get themselves dry, so the Flight is largely untouched by the rest of the content. The Flight does host their Forum Holiday, but nothing newsworthy ever happens. As such, I never thought much of the Flight, until I lived right alongside the Sea of a Thousand Currents. Even then, I just stared at the surface of the Sea, wondering what kind of civilization thrived beneath the waves. I never found out. (5/10) [u]Ice[/u] The Ice Flight is the second best at minding their own business. Recently, there’s been a strong movement within the Flight to close its borders for good. However, considering the landscape on the Icefields, I doubt that sentiment will last more than one harsh winter. From my understanding, the Flight has some industry on the shoreline, but is largely comprised of wild clans who view any sort of technology with skepticism. While I don’t think that Ice will actually close its boarders, I doubt many will notice if it does. (5/10) [u]Shadow[/u] The only reason this Flight isn’t listed as less tolerable is the Trickmurk Circus. Everyone loves the Trickmurk Circus. Hatchlings love it, adults love it. Even I like parts of it. There’s just something about the shadow shows everyone finds enchanting. That said, the high populations of Nocturnes is annoying at best, and the [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2751603/4#post_45305443]Umbral Guard [/url]makes traveling through the Tangled Wood nigh impossible for most of the year. There’s always some sort of Beastclan conflict, usually with Centaurs following the Night of the Nocturne. This wouldn’t be a big deal of the Flight had a stronger central governing system, but the Flight is mainly made up of wild clans who like to do as they please. As such, robbery is common place, and many clans like to fight out their problems as they please. Any Flight problems tend to fester and bleed out into neighboring Flights. But then the Trickmurk Circus comes along, and everyone loves it, so I guess no one really cares. (5/10) [u]Nature[/u] I might have thought better of the Nature Flight if I hadn’t been forced to live there. It’s hot. It’s sticky. It’s got these orange frogs that lick their own eyeballs. I’m sure it’s very lovely from a botanical standpoint, but if I ever have to go back there, I’ll tear my own feathers out. (3/10) [u]Lightning[/u] There’s industry and then there’s [i]industry[/i]. I keep reading in the newspaper that electrical power is the hot new technology, but I don’t trust it. I like my tools nice and mechanical, thank you very much. Also, the Flight’s got quite the corruption problem. The cities in the Shifting Expanse technically has a central government as well as law enforcement, but anyone with enough gems on hand can bypass the law entirely. In some cities, the competing mafia groups appear to have more authority than the police do, and communities have even adapted to support them. The rise of [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2751603/4#post_42795026]Returnism[/url] has also hit the Flight hard. In attempt to reach back to their wild draconic roots, a sizable amount of young dragons have left the cities to escape corruption and pursue their dreams of being free in the wilderness. Most crawl back to their mothers after a week or so. Even those who don’t have realized that they’re ill equipped to survive and compete with the clans who were actually raised in the wilds. These dragons from unruly gangs just off the outskirts of the cities and prey on travelers and traders. It’s not an area I’d like to visit any time soon. All that said, I can’t deny that Lightning has output some impressive things. My pocketwatch, for example, was made in the Shifting Expanse, and it has kept the time perfectly for all the years I’ve had it. The printing press originated there, and typewriters have been all the rage for the past few years. I’ve never liked typewriters, though. They’re heavy and all together too loud and metallic for my taste. (3/10) [u]Plague[/u] Plague is another flight that I never payed much attention to until I had to walk through it. The landscape is painful to look at, and it even releases plumes of hissing yellow gas that smell horrible. I walked in with a healthy set of lungs and left with a chest cold that lingered for a month. Most of the clans here are wild and fierce, and many never even touch the land outside of the Wasteland. I’m content to leave them that way. (1/10) [u]Fire[/u] Every year, usually at the start of summer, I get hit with the urge to migrate to the Ashfall Waste. The power of it shocks me every year, and I usually spend a week or so inside with my wings tightly folded. I’ve never once regretted it. The Ashfall Waste is full of my fellow Coatles, who I don’t particularly want to encounter, and besides, it’s gotten dangerous. With the Blacksand Treasure Crisis still in full force, I doubt that I’ll be the only one resisting migration this year. The clan feud has swamped the entire flight, and I doubt industry will return to the vigor it once did. In summary, I’ve never been to the Ashfall Waste, and I never will. The Flight can burn itself into oblivion for all I care. (0/10) [right] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2751603/3#post_41972733]prev[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2751603/4#post_42795026]next[/url] [/right]
47992663p.png
Chickweed’s Guide
The Flights, listed from most to least tolerable

Wind

If you think its cheating to list my own flight as my favorite, you clearly underestimate the sheer perfection of the Windswept Plateau.

There are very few territorial disputes there, and with the exception to the Maren off the coast, the Beastclans are amicable and good trade partners. Larger industry exists at the borders, but most clans are semi-civilized, with most clans still hunting for most of their food.

It’s a lovely way to live, with enough modern conveniences to be comfortable, but not enough to overwhelm the landscape.

I only hope that the rest of dragonkind fails to realize this. I’d hate for my home to suddenly be sold off as prime real estate.(9/10)

Earth

I had a rather low opinion of the Earth Flight before I had to live there. The Crystal Court sounded entertaining, but the idea of royalty has always rubbed me the wrong way. It still does, actually, but after living there, I couldn’t help be charmed by the rich history of the royal bloodlines.

The architecture is quite impressive as well. I never knew that caves could be developed into such beautiful, open spaces, and everything is just so old. In my home flight, dragons tend to value the new and the original, and there’s little fuss over history. However, while I lived in Dragonhome, every Snapper I met seemed to be able to trace their genealogy back to King Meinhard, one of the last kings before Dragonhome split into princedoms. This always confused me. If he even existed, he couldn’t have fathered everyone’s great-great-great-great-great-etc grandmother. It doesn’t make sense.

History aside, the Flight appears to be doing quite well for itself economically. Between mining and glass production, Dragonhome has one of the most stable economies in the content.

It’s a pity that it might all be gone soon with the Dragonhome takeover. I wish them well and I’m glad I got out while I still could. (8/10)

Light

If I had to settle down in one place other than the Windswept Plateau, I would choose the Promenade. It has libraries. It has the most gorgeous cityscapes I’ve ever seen. It has the most reputable universities on the continent. And by the way, the sunsets are gorgeous.
I admit, city life is more stressful than the towns in the Windswept Plateau, but it almost makes up for it with the sheer amount of available resources. You can buy anything you want in Light cities, and while lair space is getting increasingly more expensive, work is relatively easy to come by.

Sure, there’s a concentration of pretentious, old-money art enthusiasts, but they stay in their own circles and are easily ignored. (8/10)

Arcane

I spent much of my youth at a University in the Starfall Isles, and it was decent enough. Arcane Flighters tend to favor cities over the wilderness like the Light Flight does, and it has a very high literacy rate. My education enabled me to make myself a career and support myself for most of my life, and my memories of the Starfall Isles are largely positive. The landscape is quite pretty, and it has a few delicious species of fish that I’ve never found anywhere else.

That said, Arcane Flighters have their fair share of eccentricities. There are religious fanatics in every corner of the continent, but there seems to be more in the Starfall Isles than anywhere else. The devoted take the Arcanist very seriously, and some have been actively trying to call him back to Sornieth. No harm has come of it yet, but apparently the vague rituals they do are getting more and more intense. (7/10)

Water

The Water Flight is the best at minding their own business than any other flight. I suppose it helps that the vast majority of the population live underwater. Few outflighters want to get themselves wet, and few Water Flighters want to get themselves dry, so the Flight is largely untouched by the rest of the content.

The Flight does host their Forum Holiday, but nothing newsworthy ever happens. As such, I never thought much of the Flight, until I lived right alongside the Sea of a Thousand Currents. Even then, I just stared at the surface of the Sea, wondering what kind of civilization thrived beneath the waves. I never found out. (5/10)

Ice

The Ice Flight is the second best at minding their own business. Recently, there’s been a strong movement within the Flight to close its borders for good. However, considering the landscape on the Icefields, I doubt that sentiment will last more than one harsh winter.

From my understanding, the Flight has some industry on the shoreline, but is largely comprised of wild clans who view any sort of technology with skepticism.
While I don’t think that Ice will actually close its boarders, I doubt many will notice if it does. (5/10)

Shadow

The only reason this Flight isn’t listed as less tolerable is the Trickmurk Circus. Everyone loves the Trickmurk Circus. Hatchlings love it, adults love it. Even I like parts of it.

There’s just something about the shadow shows everyone finds enchanting. That said, the high populations of Nocturnes is annoying at best, and the Umbral Guard makes traveling through the Tangled Wood nigh impossible for most of the year. There’s always some sort of Beastclan conflict, usually with Centaurs following the Night of the Nocturne.

This wouldn’t be a big deal of the Flight had a stronger central governing system, but the Flight is mainly made up of wild clans who like to do as they please.

As such, robbery is common place, and many clans like to fight out their problems as they please. Any Flight problems tend to fester and bleed out into neighboring Flights.
But then the Trickmurk Circus comes along, and everyone loves it, so I guess no one really cares. (5/10)

Nature

I might have thought better of the Nature Flight if I hadn’t been forced to live there. It’s hot. It’s sticky. It’s got these orange frogs that lick their own eyeballs. I’m sure it’s very lovely from a botanical standpoint, but if I ever have to go back there, I’ll tear my own feathers out. (3/10)

Lightning

There’s industry and then there’s industry. I keep reading in the newspaper that electrical power is the hot new technology, but I don’t trust it. I like my tools nice and mechanical, thank you very much.

Also, the Flight’s got quite the corruption problem. The cities in the Shifting Expanse technically has a central government as well as law enforcement, but anyone with enough gems on hand can bypass the law entirely. In some cities, the competing mafia groups appear to have more authority than the police do, and communities have even adapted to support them.

The rise of Returnism has also hit the Flight hard. In attempt to reach back to their wild draconic roots, a sizable amount of young dragons have left the cities to escape corruption and pursue their dreams of being free in the wilderness. Most crawl back to their mothers after a week or so. Even those who don’t have realized that they’re ill equipped to survive and compete with the clans who were actually raised in the wilds. These dragons from unruly gangs just off the outskirts of the cities and prey on travelers and traders. It’s not an area I’d like to visit any time soon.

All that said, I can’t deny that Lightning has output some impressive things. My pocketwatch, for example, was made in the Shifting Expanse, and it has kept the time perfectly for all the years I’ve had it. The printing press originated there, and typewriters have been all the rage for the past few years.

I’ve never liked typewriters, though. They’re heavy and all together too loud and metallic for my taste. (3/10)

Plague

Plague is another flight that I never payed much attention to until I had to walk through it. The landscape is painful to look at, and it even releases plumes of hissing yellow gas that smell horrible. I walked in with a healthy set of lungs and left with a chest cold that lingered for a month. Most of the clans here are wild and fierce, and many never even touch the land outside of the Wasteland.

I’m content to leave them that way. (1/10)

Fire

Every year, usually at the start of summer, I get hit with the urge to migrate to the Ashfall Waste. The power of it shocks me every year, and I usually spend a week or so inside with my wings tightly folded.

I’ve never once regretted it. The Ashfall Waste is full of my fellow Coatles, who I don’t particularly want to encounter, and besides, it’s gotten dangerous.

With the Blacksand Treasure Crisis still in full force, I doubt that I’ll be the only one resisting migration this year. The clan feud has swamped the entire flight, and I doubt industry will return to the vigor it once did.

In summary, I’ve never been to the Ashfall Waste, and I never will. The Flight can burn itself into oblivion for all I care. (0/10)
7hN3sEu.png
[right][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/510507/51050612p.png[/img][/right] [right][u]Litsky’s Legends[/u][/right] [b]Echo Lullaby[/b] What is it called when the stars are in sight? Night What do you close when sun starts to hide? Eyes Where is the place where magic is seen? Dream Go to the place where it’s dark as the deep: Sleep [center]———————————————————————————————[/center] [i] Litksy’s notes: This is one of the only pieces I’ve found from the Sea of a Thousand Currents. It has little historical interest, but I’ll take what I can get.[/i] [right][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2751603/3#post_42010955]prev[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2751603/4#post_42718723]next[/url][/right]
51050612p.png
Litsky’s Legends
Echo Lullaby

What is it called when the stars are in sight?
Night

What do you close when sun starts to hide?
Eyes

Where is the place where magic is seen?
Dream

Go to the place where it’s dark as the deep:
Sleep
———————————————————————————————

Litksy’s notes: This is one of the only pieces I’ve found from the Sea of a Thousand Currents. It has little historical interest, but I’ll take what I can get.
7hN3sEu.png
[right][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/461656/46165599p.png[/img][/right] [right][u]Chiron’s Sketchbook[/u] [/right] [img] https://i.imgur.com/tv3Vzbk.png[/img] [center][i]Spotted this Quetzeel in the Gladeveins. It wasn’t shy at all. [/i][/center] [right] [url= https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2751603/3#post_42290792]prev[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2751603/4#post_42848890]next[/url][/right]
46165599p.png
Chiron’s Sketchbook
tv3Vzbk.png
Spotted this Quetzeel in the Gladeveins. It wasn’t shy at all.
7hN3sEu.png
[right][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/510507/51050612p.png[/img][/right] [right][u]Litsky’s Legends[/u][/right] [b]Six Little Dragons[/b] Six little dragons went to play Six little dragons played all day The first got beat in the early morn The next got tangled up in thorns The third got hit by a falling star The fourth got scared and went afar The fifth got sick and went to sleep The sixth got gold and a crown to keep Six little dragons went to play One got up and walked away [center]———————————————————————————————[/center] [i] Litksy’s notes: On closer inspection, I believe that this little poem mirrors the events that occur in the Ballad of the Champions. [/i] [right][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2751603/4#post_42515214]prev[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2751603/4#post_42891715]next[/url][/right]
51050612p.png
Litsky’s Legends
Six Little Dragons

Six little dragons went to play
Six little dragons played all day

The first got beat in the early morn
The next got tangled up in thorns

The third got hit by a falling star
The fourth got scared and went afar

The fifth got sick and went to sleep
The sixth got gold and a crown to keep

Six little dragons went to play
One got up and walked away

Litksy’s notes: On closer inspection, I believe that this little poem mirrors the events that occur in the Ballad of the Champions.
7hN3sEu.png
[right][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/479927/47992663p.png[/img][/right] [right][u]Chickweed’s Guide[/u] [/right] [center][b]Returnism[/b][/center] There’s always a few dragons who harp about how the past is so much better than the present, but Returnism has taken it to another level. It’s built on the premise that dragons were not meant to live in cities, but were created to be wild and free in the wilderness. This idea has been floating around ever since I was a hatchling, and I thought it was silly even then. However, it really gained traction in the past five years or so with the even of one very particular dragon. His name is Reveaux, and he was hatched deep with in the most industrial of cities in the Shifting Expanse. He published a stunning memoir about how he became disenchanted with the corruption and claustrophobia in the city and, through an odd series of events, joined a wild clan and discovered the true meaning of life, the universe, and the will of the gods. It’s supposed to be [i]inspiring[/i]. His conclusion was that industry and cities made dragons weak, and if we lived the way dragons are “supposed to live” we can prance through the poppies in joy and peace forever more. He even claims that our ancestors were strong in magic, and that industry was the reason why we lost it all. (Does he acknowledge the irony that he published his book on the very technological printing press? No he does not.) Some young dragons, seized with the romanticism of running wild with the zebas, tried it out to unfortunate results. Even if they didn’t return to their home clans in the cities, they found out that they were ill equipped to leave civilization entirely and formed bullying gangs that lurk around town outskirts and prey on travelers. It’s caused a mountain of trouble with the beastclans and the truly wild clans who are unwilling to share their resources with hungry ruffians who cant hunt. At least mercenaries have found better work guarding supply routes. Since this trend began, Reveaux has written pale clarifications to this work. He claims he didn’t intend to inspire this kind of response, and that he only wanted to promote the land rights of wild clans who are often driven from their territories by industry and farmland. This hasn’t quelled the fervor of young dragons to “return” to their true draconic roots and “behave as dragons should.” The whole thing is ridiculous. First, the whole concept is based on unproven stories. There’s no evidence that dragons (apart from the occasional witch) were powerful in magic, and there’s no rational that returning to the wilderness would bring it back. Second, they forget that technology favors the small dragons, and abandoning it would leave dragons like me at the mercy of the larger, bullying dragons, just like in days of yore. How romantic. With a little luck, they’ll all starve in the wilderness together. Serves them right. [right] [url= https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2751603/4#post_42443484]prev[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2751603/4#post_44208828]next[/url] [/right]
47992663p.png
Chickweed’s Guide
Returnism

There’s always a few dragons who harp about how the past is so much better than the present, but Returnism has taken it to another level. It’s built on the premise that dragons were not meant to live in cities, but were created to be wild and free in the wilderness.

This idea has been floating around ever since I was a hatchling, and I thought it was silly even then. However, it really gained traction in the past five years or so with the even of one very particular dragon.

His name is Reveaux, and he was hatched deep with in the most industrial of cities in the Shifting Expanse. He published a stunning memoir about how he became disenchanted with the corruption and claustrophobia in the city and, through an odd series of events, joined a wild clan and discovered the true meaning of life, the universe, and the will of the gods. It’s supposed to be inspiring. His conclusion was that industry and cities made dragons weak, and if we lived the way dragons are “supposed to live” we can prance through the poppies in joy and peace forever more. He even claims that our ancestors were strong in magic, and that industry was the reason why we lost it all. (Does he acknowledge the irony that he published his book on the very technological printing press? No he does not.)

Some young dragons, seized with the romanticism of running wild with the zebas, tried it out to unfortunate results. Even if they didn’t return to their home clans in the cities, they found out that they were ill equipped to leave civilization entirely and formed bullying gangs that lurk around town outskirts and prey on travelers. It’s caused a mountain of trouble with the beastclans and the truly wild clans who are unwilling to share their resources with hungry ruffians who cant hunt. At least mercenaries have found better work guarding supply routes.

Since this trend began, Reveaux has written pale clarifications to this work. He claims he didn’t intend to inspire this kind of response, and that he only wanted to promote the land rights of wild clans who are often driven from their territories by industry and farmland.

This hasn’t quelled the fervor of young dragons to “return” to their true draconic roots and “behave as dragons should.”

The whole thing is ridiculous. First, the whole concept is based on unproven stories. There’s no evidence that dragons (apart from the occasional witch) were powerful in magic, and there’s no rational that returning to the wilderness would bring it back. Second, they forget that technology favors the small dragons, and abandoning it would leave dragons like me at the mercy of the larger, bullying dragons, just like in days of yore. How romantic.

With a little luck, they’ll all starve in the wilderness together. Serves them right.
7hN3sEu.png
[right][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/461656/46165599p.png[/img][/right] [right][u]Chiron’s Sketchbook[/u] [/right] [img] https://i.imgur.com/Dz7T1a0.png[/img] [center][i]I’ve always wanted to see one of these. It’s a pity I didn’t get a better look at its shadow. [/i][/center] [right] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2751603/4#post_42626936]prev[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2751603/5#post_48586859]next[/url] [/right]
46165599p.png
Chiron’s Sketchbook
Dz7T1a0.png
I’ve always wanted to see one of these. It’s a pity I didn’t get a better look at its shadow.
7hN3sEu.png
[right][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/510507/51050612p.png[/img][/right] [right][u]Litsky’s Legends[/u][/right] [b]One Head, Two Heads[/b] One head, two heads, three heads, four It stretched its wings and began to soar Five heads, six heads, seven heads, eight It flew all day and it ate and ate Nine heads, ten heads, eleven in all, It flew so high it began to fall! [center]———————————————————————————————[/center] [i] Litsky’s notes: This is almost certainly a reference to the Legend of the Emperor. It comes, unsurprisingly, from the Sunbeam Ruins. [/i] [right][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2751603/4#post_42718723]prev[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2751603/4#post_46030123]next[/url][/right]
51050612p.png
Litsky’s Legends
One Head, Two Heads

One head, two heads, three heads, four
It stretched its wings and began to soar

Five heads, six heads, seven heads, eight
It flew all day and it ate and ate

Nine heads, ten heads, eleven in all,
It flew so high it began to fall!

Litsky’s notes: This is almost certainly a reference to the Legend of the Emperor. It comes, unsurprisingly, from the Sunbeam Ruins.
7hN3sEu.png
[right][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/479927/47992663p.png[/img][/right] [right][u]Chickweed’s Guide[/u] [/right] [center][b]Witches[/b][/center] I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Every clan deserves to have at least one witch. I don’t know how certain dragons become witches. When I was a hatchling, I asked my own Clan Caraway witch how she became a witch and she laughed and said that no one names themselves a witch. Witch was something that dragons started to call her before she even knew what it was. She said that the only requirement to be a witch was to have an affinity for magic and a willingness to share it. This was not very satisfactory, but it’s the closest I’ve gotten to answering the witch question. Through my years of observation, I’ve come up with a list of traits common in witches: [LIST] [*]Wearing hats or face covers [*]Keeping their mouths shut at inconvenient times [*]Rarely blinks [*]Knows about plants [*]Has a collection of odd objects [/LIST] What a witch does varies. Many are healers, some travel by themselves, and fewer still make themselves feared. I’m still not sure what magic is and why only so few dragons have an affinity for it, but I hope that wherever I settle down will have at least one witch. [b]Notable Witches:[/b] This is by far a comprehensive list, but I’ve found that it’s always a good idea to keep track of magic users. Interesting things tend to happen to them. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/3741819]Phrygia Duskwing:[/url] A witch known only to myself and a few others. He uses magic to create his own gold, a punishable crime, and has a basement in his lair. He’s keeping something in his basement. [i]What are you keeping in your basement, Phrygia? [/i] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/47716923]Lushu, Clan Unknown[/url]: May or may not be a witch, but claims to have magic spit. [url= https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/66136139]The Witch of the Waste:[/url] This Fae has a large territory all to herself in the Scarred Wasteland, and is generally feared and respected. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/45624290]The Dye Maker[/url]: A witch I have seen only once. He has impossibly colorful fur and cooks something impossibly bright in a pot, but I didn’t stick around long enough to find out. The local clans give him wide berth. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/56401955]Petrovna White Oak[/url]: A Clan witch somewhere in the Southern Icefields. I can’t testify to her qualifications as a witch, but I can testify that she’s a tricky soul who pull strings. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/60138556]Fuedre, Clan Daybreak[/url]: A high-profile witch who rose to attention by traveling with the Daybreakers, a feared mercenary troupe. He’s known for his spastic prophecies of doom, darkness, and more doom. There are an unfortunate number of dragons who take him too seriously for comfort. [right] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2751603/4#post_42795026]prev[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2751603/4#post_45305443]next[/url][/right]
47992663p.png
Chickweed’s Guide
Witches
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Every clan deserves to have at least one witch.

I don’t know how certain dragons become witches. When I was a hatchling, I asked my own Clan Caraway witch how she became a witch and she laughed and said that no one names themselves a witch. Witch was something that dragons started to call her before she even knew what it was. She said that the only requirement to be a witch was to have an affinity for magic and a willingness to share it.

This was not very satisfactory, but it’s the closest I’ve gotten to answering the witch question. Through my years of observation, I’ve come up with a list of traits common in witches:
  • Wearing hats or face covers
  • Keeping their mouths shut at inconvenient times
  • Rarely blinks
  • Knows about plants
  • Has a collection of odd objects

What a witch does varies. Many are healers, some travel by themselves, and fewer still make themselves feared.

I’m still not sure what magic is and why only so few dragons have an affinity for it, but I hope that wherever I settle down will have at least one witch.

Notable Witches:

This is by far a comprehensive list, but I’ve found that it’s always a good idea to keep track of magic users. Interesting things tend to happen to them.

Phrygia Duskwing: A witch known only to myself and a few others. He uses magic to create his own gold, a punishable crime, and has a basement in his lair. He’s keeping something in his basement. What are you keeping in your basement, Phrygia?

Lushu, Clan Unknown: May or may not be a witch, but claims to have magic spit.

The Witch of the Waste: This Fae has a large territory all to herself in the Scarred Wasteland, and is generally feared and respected.

The Dye Maker: A witch I have seen only once. He has impossibly colorful fur and cooks something impossibly bright in a pot, but I didn’t stick around long enough to find out. The local clans give him wide berth.

Petrovna White Oak: A Clan witch somewhere in the Southern Icefields. I can’t testify to her qualifications as a witch, but I can testify that she’s a tricky soul who pull strings.

Fuedre, Clan Daybreak: A high-profile witch who rose to attention by traveling with the Daybreakers, a feared mercenary troupe. He’s known for his spastic prophecies of doom, darkness, and more doom. There are an unfortunate number of dragons who take him too seriously for comfort.
7hN3sEu.png
[right][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/479927/47992663p.png[/img] [u]Chickweed’s Guide[/u][/right] [center][b]The Umbral Guard [/b][/center] Most Nocturnes sleep for most of the year. It makes sense that they would be incredibly vulnerable as they sleep, and thus the Umbral Guard: the order of Nocturnes in the Tangled Wood who deliberately remain awake to safeguard their sleeping brethren. At least, that’s how it was when I was younger. Nowadays, it seems that the Guard made a push to expand their power over the Wood. There was a nasty coup a few years back where the Captain of the Guard was forcibly replaced, and the new captain gave orders to block off several major travel routes and refuse access to travelers. At best, it’s a political move. At worst, they’re trying to hide something. Either way, it’s concerning. The Guard is an old order, likely stretching back into the Age of Obscurity, and there’s a chance that the many sleeping Nocturnes could suffer from a change in the status quo. Also, the Guard has never done anything about the bandit problem that plagues the Wood. If they’re going on a power trip, they might as well use it to clean the place up. [right][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2751603/4#post_44208828]prev[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2751603/5#post_46842753]next[/url] [/right]
47992663p.png
Chickweed’s Guide
The Umbral Guard

Most Nocturnes sleep for most of the year.

It makes sense that they would be incredibly vulnerable as they sleep, and thus the Umbral Guard: the order of Nocturnes in the Tangled Wood who deliberately remain awake to safeguard their sleeping brethren.

At least, that’s how it was when I was younger.

Nowadays, it seems that the Guard made a push to expand their power over the Wood. There was a nasty coup a few years back where the Captain of the Guard was forcibly replaced, and the new captain gave orders to block off several major travel routes and refuse access to travelers.

At best, it’s a political move. At worst, they’re trying to hide something.

Either way, it’s concerning. The Guard is an old order, likely stretching back into the Age of Obscurity, and there’s a chance that the many sleeping Nocturnes could suffer from a change in the status quo.

Also, the Guard has never done anything about the bandit problem that plagues the Wood. If they’re going on a power trip, they might as well use it to clean the place up.
7hN3sEu.png
[right][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/510507/51050612p.png[/img] [u]Litsky’s Legends[/u][/right] [b]The Walls are Low[/b] Hey ho, the walls are low, Low as the sun that shines so cold The peak is high The ice is thin I do my work and feel my sin Our friends all know what’s down below Hey ho, the walls are low. Hey ho, the walls are low. Low as the waves so far below The moon is soft The night is deep I do not know for what I seek I chase and chase their frosted gold Hey ho, the walls are low [center]———————————————————————————————[/center] [i]Litsky’s notes: I grew up with this song. The second verse at least. It’s presented as a lullaby, even if the tune is mournful. However, I came across the first verse in an old tome in the back of the library, which adds a tone of hopelessness. I don’t think it was ever meant to be a lullaby.[/i] [right][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2751603/4#post_42891715]prev[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2751603/5#post_46842342]next[/url] [/right]
51050612p.png
Litsky’s Legends
The Walls are Low

Hey ho, the walls are low,
Low as the sun that shines so cold
The peak is high
The ice is thin
I do my work and feel my sin
Our friends all know what’s down below
Hey ho, the walls are low.

Hey ho, the walls are low.
Low as the waves so far below
The moon is soft
The night is deep
I do not know for what I seek
I chase and chase their frosted gold
Hey ho, the walls are low

Litsky’s notes: I grew up with this song. The second verse at least. It’s presented as a lullaby, even if the tune is mournful. However, I came across the first verse in an old tome in the back of the library, which adds a tone of hopelessness. I don’t think it was ever meant to be a lullaby.
7hN3sEu.png
1 2 3 4 5 6