Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | In Shadow of the Gods-Nuzlocke-COMPLETE
1 2 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 62 63
Mini-Update: Quell

Days passed.
Everyone continued on in their daily tasks for the mostpart; tended to the crops, hunted for meat, maintained the buildings, and so on.

But things were different now. Quiet, but not peaceful. Subdued, as if nobody had quite yet managed to regain their balance after the world crumbled beneath them.

Reika and Tarot were long gone - off in pursuit of the clan that had evaded them all - the only assurance that they intended to return being they left Magni and Aika behind.

Prazien's illness had spread throughout her and Solveig's family, and they were refusing contact lest it pass on to anyone else.

For the first time in ages, Edan had found himself hunting alone as everyone struggled to fill the void left by so many others. Loneliness wasn't something he'd felt in a long time, and its return as he wandered the forest bordering the plateau was less than welcome.

The only comfort he could find was in the thought that it was temporary.
That they would get through this.
He sure as hell didn't know what to do to fix anything, but, what else could they do?
Mini-Update: Quell

Days passed.
Everyone continued on in their daily tasks for the mostpart; tended to the crops, hunted for meat, maintained the buildings, and so on.

But things were different now. Quiet, but not peaceful. Subdued, as if nobody had quite yet managed to regain their balance after the world crumbled beneath them.

Reika and Tarot were long gone - off in pursuit of the clan that had evaded them all - the only assurance that they intended to return being they left Magni and Aika behind.

Prazien's illness had spread throughout her and Solveig's family, and they were refusing contact lest it pass on to anyone else.

For the first time in ages, Edan had found himself hunting alone as everyone struggled to fill the void left by so many others. Loneliness wasn't something he'd felt in a long time, and its return as he wandered the forest bordering the plateau was less than welcome.

The only comfort he could find was in the thought that it was temporary.
That they would get through this.
He sure as hell didn't know what to do to fix anything, but, what else could they do?
Kai - Al (There's only 1 L!)
[Call me Kai!] [30s,They/Them]
PLEASE do not ask about
my avatar on an
unrelated thread topic!
f18d31cc350d038f8fdc1052107773b5e5669843.png
- Accent Shop!
- Hatchathon: Egg a Day 2024!
- In Shadow of the Gods: A Nuzlocke (Complete!)
- G1s with Art!
- Wishlist/Icon Dragon
Please note some darker things are implied in this chapter. Or perhaps I should say, this is about as dark as my writing will get here on FR.
Feel free to skip it/request a TL:DR of its events should you wish.

Laid Bare

They hadn't spoken much since that night. It wasn't surprising.

Nobody in their right mind would have blamed her for needing time alone.
Though, admittedly, Edan didn't much like it.

He'd done the morning's chores, then taken the rest of the day off. Hunting solo for the entire clan had taken its toll; his body ached, and his body was fatigued in a way he couldn't ignore any longer.

But at the same time, he was anxious. There was too much weighing on his shoulders for him to rest.

The mirror got to his feet, pacing the room before making his way toward the door to the side room, which currently kept him separate from the only other dragon in the house.

He knocked lightly.

"'Run?" he addressed uncertainly, the back of his knuckle rested against the door. "How're you holding up?"

There was a brief shuffling, and then the door opened a crack. Saerun's tired, but otherwise stoic face stared back at him from the gloom.

"Do you - " he paused for a moment. "I think we should talk."

She nodded and stepped back, letting the door swing fully open as she sat on her cot. She thumped her hand on the space next to her and let out a steadying breath. "Here, just... come sit."

The skydancer drew in her legs and wrapped her tail around them as he obliged.

"So," Edan began, only to realize he couldn't find the words for what he wanted to say. "...So..."

Saerun slowly turned to look at him again after a few awkward moments passed.

"Aw hell," he sighed. Reaching to pinch the bridge of his nose before letting his talon drop. "Hell. So, Saerun, I feel like there's a lot you haven't - I feel like there's a lot I don't know about you."

She quickly turned away, picking at a more sparse patch of feathers on her shoulder.

"I don't mean I think you've been lying or anything," he added quickly. "I trust you - I just... I wonder... if I could help more, if I knew more."

Saerun let out something like a quick, sharp laugh, her shoulders heaving with the motion. She shook her head. "Don't think you could."

"I want to try," he urged. "And aside from that, I'm... worried"

She flinched, but didn't turn back to him. Her shoulders sunk.
"You know I'm not trying to keep anything from you," she said. "The things I haven't said are things I... really don't want to think about."

"Yeah, I..." Edan looked away from her to stare at the ground. "I don't want you to push yourself if it's not worth it. But at the same time... I really feel like there are things you want to tell me."
He clasped his talons together. "Like that morning when you were asking me about Ila and Marshall and so on... and you brought up your relationship with Ciron."

Saerun had gone very, very still.

"You don't have to tell me," Edan began carefully. "And I won't ask you again if you don't. I'll forget about it. But... is Ciron your son?"

"He..." Saerun took a quick, shuddering breath, still not looking at him. "He might be."

"'He might'?" Edan repeated to himself, the weight of the words sinking in with each passing moment.

"There were a lot of things I didn't get much of a say in," Saerun said quickly, her tone an uneasy mix of panic and bitterness. "...That we didn't have much control over - or - or... were easier to go along with, even if we didn't want to. I don't know when I started to shut off to it. But I just stopped feeling anything. No sadness, no anger. It just... went away. And I was hollow. And things got easier. For a while."

Edan looked up from his clasped talons, and caught her gaze as she glanced over her shoulder. Her eyes had a hint of the same wildness from when he first met her. She quickly looked away.

"Any eggs we had would be taken away, there were a few people he had around just to mind them," she paused for a moment, rubbing her shoulder. "I preferred it, honestly. Easier not to think about it. But then... I heard about Ciron hatching."

Once more she met Edan's gaze.
"There was some stupid prophecy - I never believed it. I don't think many there really did, but still, it seemed to be... fulfilled the moment Ciron opened his eyes."
There was another thud on the mattress as she drove her fist into it. "It's not even worth saying all of it, but the main line is about a white king and a prince with eyes of fire - I think he must have made it up, or at least bent it to fit. Doesn't matter."

She paused again, taking a deep breath and briefly tilting her head upward, eyes shut.
"Ciron might be mine. The timing fits. But, he also might not be. I knew who else might have been his mother, and they weren't going to do anything. That's not why I took him, anyway," she let out something like a laugh. "I didn't want Ciron to grow up as a pawn for that man, either. Or to end up like him. Gods.
I wanted to hurt him. He wanted Ciron. He never cared about anyone else. I saw a chance to make him feel even a fraction of what I did and I was hellbent on seeing it through.
So I used people. I put on an act. And I tried to take him the moment I could."

She slumped backward, resting her head against the wall.

Edan opened his mouth, then closed it. Saerun did an odd, pained sort of smile at the sight.

"I know," she said, letting out another strange, false chuckle. "And you know what? The damndest thing... I don't know when I started feeling it all again, it's never like there was a moment I realized it, or it all flooded back. But I can feel everything. At some point, everything switched back on and I feel so much... hatred, so much disgust for myself and everything I can remember that I can't stand it."

She jerked forward, a wad of blue feathers clutched in her hand.

"I keep going over everything I could have done differently, every chance I could have had to run but didn't take, every horrible choice I made and - " she stopped, briefly holding her head in her hand before shouting an expletive.
"Even now I know... you could all be safe now, if they never come back, and if I left, I might be able to forget myself again. I've been nothing but bad for you all, you've all been living like fugitives thanks to my choices - "

"I want you here, Saerun," Edan interrupted. "That aside - I'd already had to deal with that crew before, you have to remember that."

"I know. And I want to be here," she replied, her voice - briefly - soft. "But I can't let him go. That place is bad for him, Altiel is bad for him, that's obvious. But, at some point, I started to..." she paused.
"Love him, I love Ciron. And I love you - all of you. I don't know when that started, but - Gods, I don't even know where I'm going with this - the point is I have to find him. Which means I can't be safe, and if you stick with me, you aren't safe either."

"We all made that choice ages ago, 'Run," Edan said. "And we're not giving up on either of you."

He stood, stretching his wings and beginning to pace as anger began to burn in his chest. "If you think I'd give up after knowing what that... monster did to you," he snarled. "Well, you've got another thing coming. I'm going to try to track down Reika - she's going to have some competition when it comes time to take him down."

Please note there is also a mini-update posted just above this chapter.

You might notice we've hit a shifting point in the nuzlocke. I thought of putting "End of part 1" at the bottom of Remnants, but in the end due to this being a nuzlocke in which RNG will always have some control I simply cannot predict how many parts we will have, or how long they will be.

A busy time of year is starting for me, but I'm pleased to have hit this point. It means I can go through with a lot of ideas, including hatching a few eggs on my birthday next month that I've been reserving for this portion of the 'locke without being dreadfully behind.

Anyway, thanks for sticking with me, folks.

@Dovalore, @Valishtu, @Gloomyvibes, @AnimeLover9631, @Akash, @tigressRising, @ArgenteaMoon, @mintSMASH, @StormWendjule, @IronPen, @Solaristigres, @Acuarela, @Rivix, @Keet, @Farwalker, @catmeow1, @fuurin, @owlstar7, @Fallacies, @Cngx, @Arinemera, @Weredogalism, @Kosaa, @astrallis, @ShadewingRising, @Kyaritty, @Chalkolate, @Luteia, @Drachenschwinge, @Kaskade, @InfiniteIrony, @Darunia, @OrderedChaos, @Kaskade, @Viperfishy, @SallyJane, @huskies709, @mmuted, @Pastie, @cybo, @Synchros, @Damindra, @Velvetpaws, @Macrocosm, @Sabariel, @demitri, @PipDragon40, @Dreamcoyote, @casdeth, @Khazraj, @DreamSlayer, @SoftDemon, @Petall, @Borkbean, @dragonstars12q
Please note some darker things are implied in this chapter. Or perhaps I should say, this is about as dark as my writing will get here on FR.
Feel free to skip it/request a TL:DR of its events should you wish.

Laid Bare

They hadn't spoken much since that night. It wasn't surprising.

Nobody in their right mind would have blamed her for needing time alone.
Though, admittedly, Edan didn't much like it.

He'd done the morning's chores, then taken the rest of the day off. Hunting solo for the entire clan had taken its toll; his body ached, and his body was fatigued in a way he couldn't ignore any longer.

But at the same time, he was anxious. There was too much weighing on his shoulders for him to rest.

The mirror got to his feet, pacing the room before making his way toward the door to the side room, which currently kept him separate from the only other dragon in the house.

He knocked lightly.

"'Run?" he addressed uncertainly, the back of his knuckle rested against the door. "How're you holding up?"

There was a brief shuffling, and then the door opened a crack. Saerun's tired, but otherwise stoic face stared back at him from the gloom.

"Do you - " he paused for a moment. "I think we should talk."

She nodded and stepped back, letting the door swing fully open as she sat on her cot. She thumped her hand on the space next to her and let out a steadying breath. "Here, just... come sit."

The skydancer drew in her legs and wrapped her tail around them as he obliged.

"So," Edan began, only to realize he couldn't find the words for what he wanted to say. "...So..."

Saerun slowly turned to look at him again after a few awkward moments passed.

"Aw hell," he sighed. Reaching to pinch the bridge of his nose before letting his talon drop. "Hell. So, Saerun, I feel like there's a lot you haven't - I feel like there's a lot I don't know about you."

She quickly turned away, picking at a more sparse patch of feathers on her shoulder.

"I don't mean I think you've been lying or anything," he added quickly. "I trust you - I just... I wonder... if I could help more, if I knew more."

Saerun let out something like a quick, sharp laugh, her shoulders heaving with the motion. She shook her head. "Don't think you could."

"I want to try," he urged. "And aside from that, I'm... worried"

She flinched, but didn't turn back to him. Her shoulders sunk.
"You know I'm not trying to keep anything from you," she said. "The things I haven't said are things I... really don't want to think about."

"Yeah, I..." Edan looked away from her to stare at the ground. "I don't want you to push yourself if it's not worth it. But at the same time... I really feel like there are things you want to tell me."
He clasped his talons together. "Like that morning when you were asking me about Ila and Marshall and so on... and you brought up your relationship with Ciron."

Saerun had gone very, very still.

"You don't have to tell me," Edan began carefully. "And I won't ask you again if you don't. I'll forget about it. But... is Ciron your son?"

"He..." Saerun took a quick, shuddering breath, still not looking at him. "He might be."

"'He might'?" Edan repeated to himself, the weight of the words sinking in with each passing moment.

"There were a lot of things I didn't get much of a say in," Saerun said quickly, her tone an uneasy mix of panic and bitterness. "...That we didn't have much control over - or - or... were easier to go along with, even if we didn't want to. I don't know when I started to shut off to it. But I just stopped feeling anything. No sadness, no anger. It just... went away. And I was hollow. And things got easier. For a while."

Edan looked up from his clasped talons, and caught her gaze as she glanced over her shoulder. Her eyes had a hint of the same wildness from when he first met her. She quickly looked away.

"Any eggs we had would be taken away, there were a few people he had around just to mind them," she paused for a moment, rubbing her shoulder. "I preferred it, honestly. Easier not to think about it. But then... I heard about Ciron hatching."

Once more she met Edan's gaze.
"There was some stupid prophecy - I never believed it. I don't think many there really did, but still, it seemed to be... fulfilled the moment Ciron opened his eyes."
There was another thud on the mattress as she drove her fist into it. "It's not even worth saying all of it, but the main line is about a white king and a prince with eyes of fire - I think he must have made it up, or at least bent it to fit. Doesn't matter."

She paused again, taking a deep breath and briefly tilting her head upward, eyes shut.
"Ciron might be mine. The timing fits. But, he also might not be. I knew who else might have been his mother, and they weren't going to do anything. That's not why I took him, anyway," she let out something like a laugh. "I didn't want Ciron to grow up as a pawn for that man, either. Or to end up like him. Gods.
I wanted to hurt him. He wanted Ciron. He never cared about anyone else. I saw a chance to make him feel even a fraction of what I did and I was hellbent on seeing it through.
So I used people. I put on an act. And I tried to take him the moment I could."

She slumped backward, resting her head against the wall.

Edan opened his mouth, then closed it. Saerun did an odd, pained sort of smile at the sight.

"I know," she said, letting out another strange, false chuckle. "And you know what? The damndest thing... I don't know when I started feeling it all again, it's never like there was a moment I realized it, or it all flooded back. But I can feel everything. At some point, everything switched back on and I feel so much... hatred, so much disgust for myself and everything I can remember that I can't stand it."

She jerked forward, a wad of blue feathers clutched in her hand.

"I keep going over everything I could have done differently, every chance I could have had to run but didn't take, every horrible choice I made and - " she stopped, briefly holding her head in her hand before shouting an expletive.
"Even now I know... you could all be safe now, if they never come back, and if I left, I might be able to forget myself again. I've been nothing but bad for you all, you've all been living like fugitives thanks to my choices - "

"I want you here, Saerun," Edan interrupted. "That aside - I'd already had to deal with that crew before, you have to remember that."

"I know. And I want to be here," she replied, her voice - briefly - soft. "But I can't let him go. That place is bad for him, Altiel is bad for him, that's obvious. But, at some point, I started to..." she paused.
"Love him, I love Ciron. And I love you - all of you. I don't know when that started, but - Gods, I don't even know where I'm going with this - the point is I have to find him. Which means I can't be safe, and if you stick with me, you aren't safe either."

"We all made that choice ages ago, 'Run," Edan said. "And we're not giving up on either of you."

He stood, stretching his wings and beginning to pace as anger began to burn in his chest. "If you think I'd give up after knowing what that... monster did to you," he snarled. "Well, you've got another thing coming. I'm going to try to track down Reika - she's going to have some competition when it comes time to take him down."

Please note there is also a mini-update posted just above this chapter.

You might notice we've hit a shifting point in the nuzlocke. I thought of putting "End of part 1" at the bottom of Remnants, but in the end due to this being a nuzlocke in which RNG will always have some control I simply cannot predict how many parts we will have, or how long they will be.

A busy time of year is starting for me, but I'm pleased to have hit this point. It means I can go through with a lot of ideas, including hatching a few eggs on my birthday next month that I've been reserving for this portion of the 'locke without being dreadfully behind.

Anyway, thanks for sticking with me, folks.

@Dovalore, @Valishtu, @Gloomyvibes, @AnimeLover9631, @Akash, @tigressRising, @ArgenteaMoon, @mintSMASH, @StormWendjule, @IronPen, @Solaristigres, @Acuarela, @Rivix, @Keet, @Farwalker, @catmeow1, @fuurin, @owlstar7, @Fallacies, @Cngx, @Arinemera, @Weredogalism, @Kosaa, @astrallis, @ShadewingRising, @Kyaritty, @Chalkolate, @Luteia, @Drachenschwinge, @Kaskade, @InfiniteIrony, @Darunia, @OrderedChaos, @Kaskade, @Viperfishy, @SallyJane, @huskies709, @mmuted, @Pastie, @cybo, @Synchros, @Damindra, @Velvetpaws, @Macrocosm, @Sabariel, @demitri, @PipDragon40, @Dreamcoyote, @casdeth, @Khazraj, @DreamSlayer, @SoftDemon, @Petall, @Borkbean, @dragonstars12q
PLEASE do not ask about
my avatar on an
unrelated thread topic!
- Accent Shop!
- G1s with Art!
- Wishlist/Icon Dragon
EDAAAAAAAN OMG THAT'S SO SWEET

so anyway justice for saerun and ciron and let's go get edan some knives and a cleaver he needs those
EDAAAAAAAN OMG THAT'S SO SWEET

so anyway justice for saerun and ciron and let's go get edan some knives and a cleaver he needs those
V2JLSpi.png0uebEKY.pngimage.pngimage.pngBsom7I2.pngjnEhDH9.pngX7H4JZX.pngnF1ESUZ.pngBadnwzE.png aa
Luteia // 21+ // fae|faer or he|him

Ping me to get my attention!

Nature // Shadow // FR Time
aa qA4DWTW.png
@Luteia

Edan already has a cleaver! He just needs some tracks to follow.
@Luteia

Edan already has a cleaver! He just needs some tracks to follow.
PLEASE do not ask about
my avatar on an
unrelated thread topic!
- Accent Shop!
- G1s with Art!
- Wishlist/Icon Dragon
@Kaial

What if we give him.... ANOTHER cleaver. You know, in case he breaks the one he has! :O
@Kaial

What if we give him.... ANOTHER cleaver. You know, in case he breaks the one he has! :O
V2JLSpi.png0uebEKY.pngimage.pngimage.pngBsom7I2.pngjnEhDH9.pngX7H4JZX.pngnF1ESUZ.pngBadnwzE.png aa

aa qA4DWTW.png
@Luteia

A CLEAVER FOR EACH HAND
he didn't learn to balance on his hind legs for nothin'
@Luteia

A CLEAVER FOR EACH HAND
he didn't learn to balance on his hind legs for nothin'
PLEASE do not ask about
my avatar on an
unrelated thread topic!
- Accent Shop!
- G1s with Art!
- Wishlist/Icon Dragon
@Kaial

Altiel is not gonna know what hit him, because it could be a cleaver OR the other cleaver! :O
@Kaial

Altiel is not gonna know what hit him, because it could be a cleaver OR the other cleaver! :O

aa qA4DWTW.png
Petition to hug Saerun and never let go.
Petition to hug Saerun and never let go.
UvoSPaU.pngEgSsKCP.pngsdVKhGb.png
OH MY GOODNESS THIS CHAPTER IS SO BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN

I mean, I really feel for Saerun and everything she's had to deal with, but man, you did such a good job at tackling her backstory in a sensitive and delicate manner while also portraying the weight of it all. I love these moments, where we get to see deeper into the characters. As someone who loves learning more about people and why they do the things they do or are the way they are, it's always to fascinating to see what makes these characters and what they've been through to get here.
OH MY GOODNESS THIS CHAPTER IS SO BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN

I mean, I really feel for Saerun and everything she's had to deal with, but man, you did such a good job at tackling her backstory in a sensitive and delicate manner while also portraying the weight of it all. I love these moments, where we get to see deeper into the characters. As someone who loves learning more about people and why they do the things they do or are the way they are, it's always to fascinating to see what makes these characters and what they've been through to get here.
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@mmuted
I'm just imagining her holding up her hand like "mm mm no I'm good thanks"

@Petall

Hey so, this comment means the world to me. This particular chapter was one I really needed to write for the reason that Saerun's character, in my head, had reached the point where she really did feel ready to talk - and really wanted to tell Edan.
The thing I was most worried about is, number 1, absolutely making sure to show that she is a fully realized person and not defined by her trauma in spite of much of it being a recent and significant of her life.
And then, aside from that, there is of course the proper way to write her past without it being too much/vitally unpleasant to read, if that makes sense. My goal is never to write for shock factor, and the fact you called it beautifully written? Well. It's... it's really reassuring to me. Thank you.
@mmuted
I'm just imagining her holding up her hand like "mm mm no I'm good thanks"

@Petall

Hey so, this comment means the world to me. This particular chapter was one I really needed to write for the reason that Saerun's character, in my head, had reached the point where she really did feel ready to talk - and really wanted to tell Edan.
The thing I was most worried about is, number 1, absolutely making sure to show that she is a fully realized person and not defined by her trauma in spite of much of it being a recent and significant of her life.
And then, aside from that, there is of course the proper way to write her past without it being too much/vitally unpleasant to read, if that makes sense. My goal is never to write for shock factor, and the fact you called it beautifully written? Well. It's... it's really reassuring to me. Thank you.
PLEASE do not ask about
my avatar on an
unrelated thread topic!
- Accent Shop!
- G1s with Art!
- Wishlist/Icon Dragon
1 2 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 62 63