Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Sornieth Taxonomy
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12
1st of September, must get rest of Blooming Grove animals sorted, and also add Spirit of Fire to bird page.
1st of September, must get rest of Blooming Grove animals sorted, and also add Spirit of Fire to bird page.
4LqCR65.pngFEu08N6.png
Forums
|
|
|
|
rDDk8Bm.png Bw4cyXn.pngjU7eG38.png 8lxCsmk.png
Lair Pack!
|
|
|
|
UEbwahm.pngKCykZYQ.pngUiowYIX.png
Coliseum Team!
Buttons by Resix
Science was never my forte as a kid, but this was such a good read!
Science was never my forte as a kid, but this was such a good read!
Ye olde signature | 26 | Latino
eq6zQ9M.png 1YB0OjO.png TMpi5Bs.png
wIb1f7A.png w8JMf5u.png bYt72YT.png
PVehrz5.png XfrlGhw.png urhsAAL.png
EiPW4qT.png SNW8oUf.png YoQhgKu.png
I highly enjoyed reading this! Can't wait for the entire Taxonomy to be filled out, especially the section with birds ^^

I also have a dragon who is a ornithologist, she will enjoy the birds greatly.
I highly enjoyed reading this! Can't wait for the entire Taxonomy to be filled out, especially the section with birds ^^

I also have a dragon who is a ornithologist, she will enjoy the birds greatly.
7bfJZaP.png
I actually have this linked into a dragon's bio of mine. <3
His my clan's teacher and this helps a lot/is really fun. Thank you for making it and keeping up with it!
I actually have this linked into a dragon's bio of mine. <3
His my clan's teacher and this helps a lot/is really fun. Thank you for making it and keeping up with it!
Poker-cards-artistic-1.jpg
I now want to make a dragon to be a zoologist(or other in the biology feild) for this thread just need to pick one and get apparel
Might have it by Robyn not sure
I now want to make a dragon to be a zoologist(or other in the biology feild) for this thread just need to pick one and get apparel
Might have it by Robyn not sure
Burning as bright as I can, careful to not burn myself out
This thread is so cool!

I have this guy who I'm thinking about making a zoologist after reading this thread earlier this year. It's really interesting trying to put Sornieth animals into Earth Taxonomy.

Some theories (please don't take any of them as critiques, I really appreciate the work you put into this and it's really awesome. They're just some ideas I had while reading what you wrote.):

I disagree with you about classifying Death's Head Stag as an insect, mostly because it looks more like a deer-like creature that evolved moth-like wings. I think we need to remember that there is magic in this world, which may lead to animals of one class (mammalia for instance) developing traits of another. Thus plant-animals (Maybe they're symbiotes between an animal and a plant?) or mammals with reptile traits (Chipskink possibly?) or vice versa (Depins make me think more of ancient marine reptiles than seals for some reason. It's probably the frill.)

The human-animal Beast-clans (Seriths, Maren, Centaurs, Harpies) are all relatively closely related, being mutant decedents of the humanoids that survived the magical reactor explosion. Because of the magic they became 'fused' with animal species that were close by and so display a mix of the humanoid and animal traits. But they should be classed as one group given they all descend from the same common ancestor and have similar traits.
The rest of the Beast-clans came from normal animals that were mutated into their more humanoid forms, i.e. Longnecks from llamas and Talonok from corvids. There may be some convergent evolution between the two, but they are actually quite separated.

Something about Sornieth (probably magic) promotes the mutation of four-legged creatures to develop wings, thus the many 6 limbed creatures that look like they descended from 4 limbed ones. So maybe they should be classified as 'winged primates/winged canines/winged ungulates' rather than 'normally 4 limbed creatures that have an extra pair of wings'? It crops up often enough it seems like a safe assumption they're more closely related to similar non-winged species than fellow winged creatures, and just developed similar wings via convergent evolution.

I love the idea of a Parda being a wingless, more cat-like griffin, or at least more closely related to them, but is it proved that griffins lay eggs in Sornieth? Maybe they're just some weird monotreme that looks a bit like a feathery cat...
This thread is so cool!

I have this guy who I'm thinking about making a zoologist after reading this thread earlier this year. It's really interesting trying to put Sornieth animals into Earth Taxonomy.

Some theories (please don't take any of them as critiques, I really appreciate the work you put into this and it's really awesome. They're just some ideas I had while reading what you wrote.):

I disagree with you about classifying Death's Head Stag as an insect, mostly because it looks more like a deer-like creature that evolved moth-like wings. I think we need to remember that there is magic in this world, which may lead to animals of one class (mammalia for instance) developing traits of another. Thus plant-animals (Maybe they're symbiotes between an animal and a plant?) or mammals with reptile traits (Chipskink possibly?) or vice versa (Depins make me think more of ancient marine reptiles than seals for some reason. It's probably the frill.)

The human-animal Beast-clans (Seriths, Maren, Centaurs, Harpies) are all relatively closely related, being mutant decedents of the humanoids that survived the magical reactor explosion. Because of the magic they became 'fused' with animal species that were close by and so display a mix of the humanoid and animal traits. But they should be classed as one group given they all descend from the same common ancestor and have similar traits.
The rest of the Beast-clans came from normal animals that were mutated into their more humanoid forms, i.e. Longnecks from llamas and Talonok from corvids. There may be some convergent evolution between the two, but they are actually quite separated.

Something about Sornieth (probably magic) promotes the mutation of four-legged creatures to develop wings, thus the many 6 limbed creatures that look like they descended from 4 limbed ones. So maybe they should be classified as 'winged primates/winged canines/winged ungulates' rather than 'normally 4 limbed creatures that have an extra pair of wings'? It crops up often enough it seems like a safe assumption they're more closely related to similar non-winged species than fellow winged creatures, and just developed similar wings via convergent evolution.

I love the idea of a Parda being a wingless, more cat-like griffin, or at least more closely related to them, but is it proved that griffins lay eggs in Sornieth? Maybe they're just some weird monotreme that looks a bit like a feathery cat...
WCaffsig.pngWChubsig.pngWCsigraffle.pngWCIFsig.png
SgonDOb.pngOvfZqTx.gif2im8gtl.png
Just bumping the thread until I've read people's messages and started getting the new familiars/food items into the thread XD note to self; [item=Downy Mouse] [item=Field Chirper] are closely related to Para, wherever I put the Parda
Just bumping the thread until I've read people's messages and started getting the new familiars/food items into the thread XD
note to self;
Downy Mouse Field Chirper are closely related to Para, wherever I put the Parda
4LqCR65.pngFEu08N6.png
Forums
|
|
|
|
Lair Pack!
|
|
|
|
Coliseum Team!
Buttons by Resix
------- [size=7]Update![/size] Got most of the new food items/familairs in! (Riot of Rot/October 2017) ------- @evernear Still up for some fish taxonomy? [item=Ringscale Arowana][item=Showman's Arowana][item=Uaru][item=Broadstripe Uaru] @BigBarrelBoy it's never too late to start enjoying science! @WyvernWarrior it may take a while for me to get to the birds XD I've added Azure the Ornithologist to the Zoology page! @Crowdazzle ooo which dragon has this thread linked to it? Would they count as a zoologist? @Hashira please do! The more zoologists the merrier! @Violetah Felinus has been added to the zoologists, a splitter not a lumper! [columns]I'm sticking to Death's Head being an insect because of the feet (deer are ungulates with little hooves, insects have those fuzzy pads and claws) and some of the bizzare body segmentation. However, these claws could easily be pointy hooves, and the ears are very certainly mammalian!! I probably won't move it now because I'm not so sure about the wing evolution, but if I ever do move it I'll credit your idea that it was more deer than moth.[nextcol][img]http://i.imgur.com/Lhlkj7S.png[/img][/columns] [columns][img]http://i.imgur.com/umFey99.png[/img][nextcol]Depin's are certainly more seal-like than reptile-like, but I have a bit of an edge there because we study seals a lot at university and I am very nerdy about the Mesozoic fauna, including the marine reptiles (although they don't amaze me as much as psuedosuchians, dinosaurs or pterosaurs). So I'd say frilly seal is more plausible here than marine reptile with a mammal's face and limbs, but I just happen to know seal features.[/columns] Serthis and Maren I can see being closely related, and probably centaurs and fauns, but I'm not big on all of them being evolved from one source. I may change this, and if I do, I shall credit you :P And maybe the winged/not winged divide [i]is[/i] down to magic... Thank you so much I loved hearing your thoughts and imput and I'm sorry I haven't taken many of your ideas on board. However, as and when I do steal your ideas I'll give you full credit!

Update!
Got most of the new food items/familairs in! (Riot of Rot/October 2017)
@evernear Still up for some fish taxonomy?
Ringscale Arowana Showman's Arowana Uaru Broadstripe Uaru
@BigBarrelBoy it's never too late to start enjoying science!
@WyvernWarrior it may take a while for me to get to the birds XD I've added Azure the Ornithologist to the Zoology page!
@Crowdazzle ooo which dragon has this thread linked to it? Would they count as a zoologist?
@Hashira please do! The more zoologists the merrier!
@Violetah Felinus has been added to the zoologists, a splitter not a lumper!
I'm sticking to Death's Head being an insect because of the feet (deer are ungulates with little hooves, insects have those fuzzy pads and claws) and some of the bizzare body segmentation.
However, these claws could easily be pointy hooves, and the ears are very certainly mammalian!!
I probably won't move it now because I'm not so sure about the wing evolution, but if I ever do move it I'll credit your idea that it was more deer than moth.
Lhlkj7S.png
umFey99.png Depin's are certainly more seal-like than reptile-like, but I have a bit of an edge there because we study seals a lot at university and I am very nerdy about the Mesozoic fauna, including the marine reptiles (although they don't amaze me as much as psuedosuchians, dinosaurs or pterosaurs). So I'd say frilly seal is more plausible here than marine reptile with a mammal's face and limbs, but I just happen to know seal features.
Serthis and Maren I can see being closely related, and probably centaurs and fauns, but I'm not big on all of them being evolved from one source. I may change this, and if I do, I shall credit you :P
And maybe the winged/not winged divide is down to magic...
Thank you so much I loved hearing your thoughts and imput and I'm sorry I haven't taken many of your ideas on board. However, as and when I do steal your ideas I'll give you full credit!
4LqCR65.pngFEu08N6.png
Forums
|
|
|
|
Lair Pack!
|
|
|
|
Coliseum Team!
Buttons by Resix
This is neat!
This is neat!
Selling old UMAs/giveaway
Giving away everything
G2 imperial giveaway
progress-rainbow-rainbow-garter-blm.png
@Northwyrm His more of a teacher. I go around collecting works posted by members to add to my library. Your work is really good and i love it! [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=29560999] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/295610/29560999_350.png[/img] [/url]
@Northwyrm

His more of a teacher. I go around collecting works posted by members to add to my library.
Your work is really good and i love it!

29560999_350.png
Poker-cards-artistic-1.jpg
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12