Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Sornieth Taxonomy
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12
This is.... AMAZING!!

Subbing to thread, this is such a cool concept and I look forward to seeing taxonomic discussions in my inbox :O
This is.... AMAZING!!

Subbing to thread, this is such a cool concept and I look forward to seeing taxonomic discussions in my inbox :O
Na5WGHa.png
@Northwyrm, I'm glad that you approve of my suggestions! A few other thoughts:

Sparrowmice look like they have avian claws, not mammalian paws like you suggest. They aren't covered in feathers, have that bony look, and seem to be scaled if you zoom in close enough.

To me it looks like they don't have any fur either, just feathers, though that might just be my eyes. If that is the case, could it be related to the last common ancestor to other six-limbed, bird-like animals? Perhaps they evolved these more mammalian features?

I have a feeling that Parda, Skycats, and Owlcats are all related to the winged mammals, but that raises a lot of questions on its own.

In my opinion, the most important question to answer is how and when six limbs began to appear. From there it'll be easier to see everything else might have evolved.
@Northwyrm, I'm glad that you approve of my suggestions! A few other thoughts:

Sparrowmice look like they have avian claws, not mammalian paws like you suggest. They aren't covered in feathers, have that bony look, and seem to be scaled if you zoom in close enough.

To me it looks like they don't have any fur either, just feathers, though that might just be my eyes. If that is the case, could it be related to the last common ancestor to other six-limbed, bird-like animals? Perhaps they evolved these more mammalian features?

I have a feeling that Parda, Skycats, and Owlcats are all related to the winged mammals, but that raises a lot of questions on its own.

In my opinion, the most important question to answer is how and when six limbs began to appear. From there it'll be easier to see everything else might have evolved.
@Northwyrm, this is incredible! I caught sight of this thread a bit earlier in it's construction and now that it's mostly finished/laid out I have to say it looks amazing! This is a fascinating bit of work and I love every bit.

Regarding things like Pardas and Griffs (and this is just spitballing, so take it with several grains of salt) -

I'd like to suggest that there was a 6-limb/4-limb split fairly early on in the vertebrate linage, presently represented by the webwings. This is likely due to Arcanist tampering (as you have already theorized) and this artificial separation led to the development of separate but similar family lineages. A Parda and a Griff may have no closer relation than a distant ancestor. We can also observe a greater proliferation of four limbed mammals/mammalians - perhaps competition from dragons keeps the winged families down, so to speak.

Also - Rasas appear to be "paw-ungulates." Not sure how else to describe them, given the antlers and single not-a-hoof toe.
@Northwyrm, this is incredible! I caught sight of this thread a bit earlier in it's construction and now that it's mostly finished/laid out I have to say it looks amazing! This is a fascinating bit of work and I love every bit.

Regarding things like Pardas and Griffs (and this is just spitballing, so take it with several grains of salt) -

I'd like to suggest that there was a 6-limb/4-limb split fairly early on in the vertebrate linage, presently represented by the webwings. This is likely due to Arcanist tampering (as you have already theorized) and this artificial separation led to the development of separate but similar family lineages. A Parda and a Griff may have no closer relation than a distant ancestor. We can also observe a greater proliferation of four limbed mammals/mammalians - perhaps competition from dragons keeps the winged families down, so to speak.

Also - Rasas appear to be "paw-ungulates." Not sure how else to describe them, given the antlers and single not-a-hoof toe.
[quote name="Northwyrm" date=2017-07-09 06:04:59] [center][size=6]Nematodes[/size][/center] Like the flatworms, these can also be parasites found in the intestine of an animal. [/quote] [center][img]https://orig07.deviantart.net/979b/f/2017/206/8/a/nematoads_by_con_tag_ious-dbhpcqj.png[/img][/center]
Northwyrm wrote on 2017-07-09:
Nematodes
Like the flatworms, these can also be parasites found in the intestine of an animal.
nematoads_by_con_tag_ious-dbhpcqj.png

charizard.gif

writer; graphic designer
my lore shop
@Northwyrm But in all seriousness, thank you for putting this together. You know so much, I'm so impressed by all of the research that you've done and how you are able to classify these.
@Northwyrm But in all seriousness, thank you for putting this together. You know so much, I'm so impressed by all of the research that you've done and how you are able to classify these.
charizard.gif

writer; graphic designer
my lore shop
@Northwyrm Wow this is amazing. I can honestly say that this is a lot of classifying to do and I'm both sorry and impressed that you took the time to do it all. Here's somethings that MIGHT, and do only mean might, help. It's gonna be longish with most likely grammatical errors everywhere but here goes. The Pale smallmouth is most likely a smallmouth bass of some sort. freshwater or saltwater I don't know seeing as I cant remember how its gotten, though I feel it's freshwater(probably). It just looks like type of bass I've seen before, so there's my guess. If you want I could help with fish. It's fun to look up fish and most of the fish you have down for "HELP ME" with I have a basic idea of what they are I'm just bad with names. [item=Bellus Glamortail] this is a feathertail betta/fightingfish mixed with a fantail goldfish. most likely, after all the tail looks more like a fantail than any fightingfish. It could be a rosetail betta/fighting instead though. So yes, a fightingfish of some sort, but a little bit goldfish. as for this guy [img]http://i.imgur.com/3A5ys8T.png[/img] he's most likely based off of the hummingbird clearwing in real life, which is a member of the sphinx/hawk moth family (Sphingidae). the only major difference is he actually looks more like a hummingbird, and is pink. The only issue with him is it's hard to remember exact classifications on the clearwing moth. Honestly I could be 100% wrong on this for all I know. So It's probably a moth. Possibly. the only reason I know any of this is pure luck honestly. Random facts that have just stuck with me for a long time based off of creatures I've somehow found. If none of this is helpful I'm sorry. Just thought I'd put these facts somewhere that they might be useful. None of this is 100% though. If you want I could actually look up a bunch of different creatures that you may need help on classifying or organizing that way you can have a better chance of figuring these things out. If not that's fine, this just seems fun. Edit: man this just makes me want to have a taxonomy dragon. This stuff is fun.
@Northwyrm

Wow this is amazing. I can honestly say that this is a lot of classifying to do and I'm both sorry and impressed that you took the time to do it all. Here's somethings that MIGHT, and do only mean might, help. It's gonna be longish with most likely grammatical errors everywhere but here goes.

The Pale smallmouth is most likely a smallmouth bass of some sort. freshwater or saltwater I don't know seeing as I cant remember how its gotten, though I feel it's freshwater(probably). It just looks like type of bass I've seen before, so there's my guess. If you want I could help with fish. It's fun to look up fish and most of the fish you have down for "HELP ME" with I have a basic idea of what they are I'm just bad with names.

this is a feathertail betta/fightingfish mixed with a fantail goldfish. most likely, after all the tail looks more like a fantail than any fightingfish. It could be a rosetail betta/fighting instead though. So yes, a fightingfish of some sort, but a little bit goldfish.

as for this guy 3A5ys8T.png he's most likely based off of the hummingbird clearwing in real life, which is a member of the sphinx/hawk moth family (Sphingidae). the only major difference is he actually looks more like a hummingbird, and is pink.
The only issue with him is it's hard to remember exact classifications on the clearwing moth. Honestly I could be 100% wrong on this for all I know. So It's probably a moth. Possibly.

the only reason I know any of this is pure luck honestly. Random facts that have just stuck with me for a long time based off of creatures I've somehow found. If none of this is helpful I'm sorry. Just thought I'd put these facts somewhere that they might be useful. None of this is 100% though. If you want I could actually look up a bunch of different creatures that you may need help on classifying or organizing that way you can have a better chance of figuring these things out. If not that's fine, this just seems fun.

Edit: man this just makes me want to have a taxonomy dragon. This stuff is fun.
Dj0u7Al.png arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifAny Pronoun's Fine
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif+3 Hrs. FR Time
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifPing Friendly
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifReserved for whatever
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifArt Shop(soon)
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifWishlist
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifLink to Arcane Hunger Games
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifLink to My Dragon Baby
HELLO EVERYBODY, sorry for late replies! There are two types of "haha I have no free time" One is "haha I have no free time -but I am going to waste my free time on making a Taxonomy thread" The other is "haha I physically do not have time for sitting down at a computer to manage my excellent thread" The replies: @Bluegeam Thanks very much! @FirozTaverbi I hope we do not disappoint on the taxonomy discussion! @MasterofKeter [center][img]http://i.imgur.com/wxoAA8N.png[/img][/center] I disagree with the avian claws, they have very mammalian paws in my book. Bird toes are very weird things, (look below; one of my fave things about weird bird feet is did you know some bird toes have more joints than mammal toes? The toe that comes in five segments rather than the mammalian three is most obvious on the New World Vulture and Secretary bird pics below) and personally I would say the sparrowmouse feet look a lot more like small mammal feet, although a lot scalier. Plenty of mammals have hairless, bony feet, sometimes with hornlike/scalelike hard skin over them. [center][img]http://biobubblepets.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/51969-004-A91A8B4A.jpg[/img] Bird feets [img]http://www.paffyspestcontrol.com/img/6460/675.jpg[/img] mouse feets [img]https://www.livingwithbirds.com/images/web/tweetapedia/21-facts-on-house-martin/21-facts-on-house-martin-i1.jpg[/img] House martin's have feets like little mammal paws, but still have weird toes[/center] With the fur/feathers thoughts, integument is very changeable, especially in Sorneith where one animal can just keep having all the fur, feathers and scales it wants. Feathers without shafts can be furlike, so it is hard to say whether the fur on the other griffinlike animals is true fur or just feathery floof. The link between winged carnivorans and winged ungulates may be helped along by the fact Sornieth has a group between ungulates and carnivorans already in the non-winged animals, but there are so many complications in matching the six-limbed evolution to the four limbed evolution, which I hope we can discuss XD As for the six-limbed thing, my Earth brain wants to say that animals start with six limbs and then the limbs atrophy so that an animal becomes two-limbed, but time and time again I find nuggets in the lore that suggest that the Arcanist likes sticking extra limbs onto birds, so perhaps he is the answer. @Encarmine Gosh I forgot about my Rasa conundrum! I now have a half-carnivoran, half-ungulate group to stick the rasa in so I'll get on that soon ;) And the reason I wonder about Parda relations is that the lore of the animal states that it lays eggs like a bird might, but then again the mammals have been there, done that *looks at the earlier synapsids* But also the feathers give me pause for thought, because feathers can look like fur, but fur doesn't often look like feathers, so I was going to lump them with the other feathery-cat-children, but then the soft nose pad/lack of beak made me stall again. @Rebdomine I LOVE NEMATODES, I was just stating that some were parasites ;) Scientifically speaking, nematodes are amazing. @Evernear AHHH THANK YOU FOR ID-ING THE SMALLMOUTH After googling smallmouth I found it was in the family Centrarchidae, and then I found my list had Centrarchidae AND Bass on it, so now I have merged them into one group to make everything a lot neater, thank you very much. If you manage to ID the rest of the mystery fish please let me know! I'm going to include the nuggets of info on the fancy moth-friend and the goldfish/fightingfish in their bios, but until I get around to writing their bios I'm not going to move their position around. Also you should totally make a taxonomy dragon so I can add them to the zoologist list!
HELLO EVERYBODY, sorry for late replies!
There are two types of "haha I have no free time"
One is "haha I have no free time -but I am going to waste my free time on making a Taxonomy thread"
The other is "haha I physically do not have time for sitting down at a computer to manage my excellent thread"
The replies:
@Bluegeam Thanks very much!
@FirozTaverbi I hope we do not disappoint on the taxonomy discussion!
@MasterofKeter
wxoAA8N.png
I disagree with the avian claws, they have very mammalian paws in my book. Bird toes are very weird things, (look below; one of my fave things about weird bird feet is did you know some bird toes have more joints than mammal toes? The toe that comes in five segments rather than the mammalian three is most obvious on the New World Vulture and Secretary bird pics below) and personally I would say the sparrowmouse feet look a lot more like small mammal feet, although a lot scalier. Plenty of mammals have hairless, bony feet, sometimes with hornlike/scalelike hard skin over them.
51969-004-A91A8B4A.jpg
Bird feets
675.jpg
mouse feets
21-facts-on-house-martin-i1.jpg
House martin's have feets like little mammal paws, but still have weird toes

With the fur/feathers thoughts, integument is very changeable, especially in Sorneith where one animal can just keep having all the fur, feathers and scales it wants. Feathers without shafts can be furlike, so it is hard to say whether the fur on the other griffinlike animals is true fur or just feathery floof.

The link between winged carnivorans and winged ungulates may be helped along by the fact Sornieth has a group between ungulates and carnivorans already in the non-winged animals, but there are so many complications in matching the six-limbed evolution to the four limbed evolution, which I hope we can discuss XD

As for the six-limbed thing, my Earth brain wants to say that animals start with six limbs and then the limbs atrophy so that an animal becomes two-limbed, but time and time again I find nuggets in the lore that suggest that the Arcanist likes sticking extra limbs onto birds, so perhaps he is the answer.

@Encarmine Gosh I forgot about my Rasa conundrum! I now have a half-carnivoran, half-ungulate group to stick the rasa in so I'll get on that soon ;)
And the reason I wonder about Parda relations is that the lore of the animal states that it lays eggs like a bird might, but then again the mammals have been there, done that *looks at the earlier synapsids*
But also the feathers give me pause for thought, because feathers can look like fur, but fur doesn't often look like feathers, so I was going to lump them with the other feathery-cat-children, but then the soft nose pad/lack of beak made me stall again.

@Rebdomine I LOVE NEMATODES, I was just stating that some were parasites ;)
Scientifically speaking, nematodes are amazing.

@Evernear AHHH THANK YOU FOR ID-ING THE SMALLMOUTH
After googling smallmouth I found it was in the family Centrarchidae, and then I found my list had Centrarchidae AND Bass on it, so now I have merged them into one group to make everything a lot neater, thank you very much. If you manage to ID the rest of the mystery fish please let me know!
I'm going to include the nuggets of info on the fancy moth-friend and the goldfish/fightingfish in their bios, but until I get around to writing their bios I'm not going to move their position around.
Also you should totally make a taxonomy dragon so I can add them to the zoologist list!
4LqCR65.pngFEu08N6.png
Forums
|
|
|
|
rDDk8Bm.png Bw4cyXn.pngjU7eG38.png 8lxCsmk.png
Lair Pack!
|
|
|
|
UEbwahm.pngKCykZYQ.pngUiowYIX.png
Coliseum Team!
Buttons by Resix
@Northwyrm Since you have ,technically, asked for you to help you with the fish friends of mystery, I shall. As for the fancy moth and fish I didn't really expect you to move them around, just wanted to let you know about those bits of information incase you wanted to do something with them, which would be the bios I guess. Now onto my favorite of the mysteries pals, the flounder! [columns] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/food/7688.png[/img] [nextcol] the flounder is a very simple to classify guy, but the lakebottom part put me off for trying to figure out the exact type of flounder he is. He would be grouped in with all the flatfish you already have. As for exactly what kind of flounder he is? he looks like the Olive Flounder, but his habitat is more like that of the black flounder, the only flounder species to live in freshwater like that of a lake. Flounders man. Weird but interesting. [/columns] [columns] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/food/3483.png[/img] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/food/3482.png[/img] [nextcol] After mild debate, I have concluded that this pal right here is based off of the balloon belly Molly, along with it's other buddy, the lyre tail variety one. Not to hard if you know where to hunt I guess. Some interesting things to note are: Balloon bellies were selectively bred to have the appearance of a large belly, and that same appearance is due to a deformity of the spine. The balloon belly gives magic to the diner due to being called a magi, which is considered a type of magical being from long ago. The other guy isn't as interesting. [/columns] That's all I can do for now, be back when I can to help(I hope this is helping, I'm not a professional) once more!
@Northwyrm

Since you have ,technically, asked for you to help you with the fish friends of mystery, I shall. As for the fancy moth and fish I didn't really expect you to move them around, just wanted to let you know about those bits of information incase you wanted to do something with them, which would be the bios I guess.

Now onto my favorite of the mysteries pals, the flounder!
7688.png the flounder is a very simple to classify guy, but the lakebottom part put me off for trying to figure out the exact type of flounder he is. He would be grouped in with all the flatfish you already have. As for exactly what kind of flounder he is? he looks like the Olive Flounder, but his habitat is more like that of the black flounder, the only flounder species to live in freshwater like that of a lake. Flounders man. Weird but interesting.
3483.png
3482.png
After mild debate, I have concluded that this pal right here is based off of the balloon belly Molly, along with it's other buddy, the lyre tail variety one. Not to hard if you know where to hunt I guess. Some interesting things to note are: Balloon bellies were selectively bred to have the appearance of a large belly, and that same appearance is due to a deformity of the spine. The balloon belly gives magic to the diner due to being called a magi, which is considered a type of magical being from long ago. The other guy isn't as interesting.

That's all I can do for now, be back when I can to help(I hope this is helping, I'm not a professional) once more!
Dj0u7Al.png arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifAny Pronoun's Fine
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif+3 Hrs. FR Time
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifPing Friendly
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifReserved for whatever
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifArt Shop(soon)
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifWishlist
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifLink to Arcane Hunger Games
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifLink to My Dragon Baby
this is absolutely beautiful. I'm hugely into this kind of thing; absurdly thrusting science onto obviously non-scientifically and fictitious ideas. My friend's get mad at me sometimes because I'm constantly critiquing the anatomy of FR dragons lol. But I completely support your efforts. Unfortunately though, I don't know much about taxonomy or animal classifications so I don't think I'll ever be much help to you but I will definitely bookmark this thread because this is a great project.
this is absolutely beautiful. I'm hugely into this kind of thing; absurdly thrusting science onto obviously non-scientifically and fictitious ideas. My friend's get mad at me sometimes because I'm constantly critiquing the anatomy of FR dragons lol. But I completely support your efforts. Unfortunately though, I don't know much about taxonomy or animal classifications so I don't think I'll ever be much help to you but I will definitely bookmark this thread because this is a great project.
tumblr_o8n308Mrpa1uf7egto1_500.png
@Evennear Thank you so much!!!! :D This is a huge help!
@Rapacious The quickest way to get a feeling for taxonomy is to wonder the Wikipedia pages like a nomad. Hopefully I'll be making diagrams for this thread at some point; thank you for bookmarking the thread!
@Evennear Thank you so much!!!! :D This is a huge help!
@Rapacious The quickest way to get a feeling for taxonomy is to wonder the Wikipedia pages like a nomad. Hopefully I'll be making diagrams for this thread at some point; thank you for bookmarking the thread!
4LqCR65.pngFEu08N6.png
Forums
|
|
|
|
rDDk8Bm.png Bw4cyXn.pngjU7eG38.png 8lxCsmk.png
Lair Pack!
|
|
|
|