Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Breaking Point [Legacy of War Challenge]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
@Drakenhart

Thanks for your interest! I've added you in.
@Drakenhart

Thanks for your interest! I've added you in.
4UUQPPZ.gif
@VoxxVoleur Sure! I've started one too, and your thread has given me some ideas. XD If you don't mind me borrowing the general organization idea?
@VoxxVoleur Sure! I've started one too, and your thread has given me some ideas. XD If you don't mind me borrowing the general organization idea?
@Drakenhart

Oh, by all means go for it. I've actually looked through over a dozen challenges since I've joined FR - multiple right before this specifically to figure out how to order things. I hope it helps~
@Drakenhart

Oh, by all means go for it. I've actually looked through over a dozen challenges since I've joined FR - multiple right before this specifically to figure out how to order things. I hope it helps~
4UUQPPZ.gif
@VoxxVoleur awesome.

Funny thing is too, Mine is in the same Primary range - for the same kind of reason. Camouflage. XD But the tert is horrible. RED range!
@VoxxVoleur awesome.

Funny thing is too, Mine is in the same Primary range - for the same kind of reason. Camouflage. XD But the tert is horrible. RED range!
[center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/1933329][img]http://s009.radikal.ru/i309/1704/2b/8e0286da716b.png[/img][/url] [size=5][u][b][i]Generation 2 - Preparation[/i][/b][/u][/size] They trained with their parents until they grew into adults, mostly in catching their meals. Fortunately, the whole family could eat insects. It made looking for food less of a hassle, because they could all learn the same subject. The two Pearlcatchers also learned to identify which plants they could eat, and which ones could only be eaten in small amounts to slowly work their systems up to where it could be food. ZeroHour decided to take Lin and Marlais with her at night, as their colors would be dulled as much as possible in the dark. It also made finding food harder in the dark, forcing the two to listen rather than look. The two learned to pull their own weight, if not much more. If they had made anything clear, the Pearlcatchers of the nest made it clear that they did like each other - when they were far away from each other. Very far away from each other. Sarannah and Assiel genuinely loved each other, bonding over being the only Pearlcatchers of their nest… they just didn’t see eye-to-eye on much of anything. Thus, Quentrell took Assiel and surprisingly, Corinthia to search for food in the mornings. The pair bonded strongly, both agreeing on whatever they decided quickly. They kept their talk to a minimum, pushing for safety and caution every step of the way. The pair was by far the most strategic and cohesive of the nest. This left Quentrell to take Sarannah out at night, where she could blend in the with the shadows more than any of the others. The dark afforded him more ability to train her properly, as he didn’t need to hide as much as he did in the sunlight. He wasn’t sure that it mattered, as she tended to stalk off a distance away from him to find what she needed on her own. Still, perhaps it made a difference. On the rare occasion that they all went somewhere as a group, it was to ZeroHour’s birth clan. It still lay in ruins, picked to the bone by all who passed through. Quentrell explained what this place was to the hatchlings, allowing them to sift through and find whatever remained that they would like to have. At these times, the hatchlings all split off with different goals in mind. Corinthia would approach her training partner occasionally, only to return to whatever she was doing after a few words between them. Lin vouched for the tattered, yet still thick and soft materials. Sarannah looked for weaponry, armor, or trap materials. Marlais simply offered to help the others find what they wanted, and to carry some of it for them. They could have sworn Assiel brought something with him, but no one could remember what. As for Corinthia, she purposely slipped her findings into a small bag she carried with her. It may have been mundane, but both ZeroHour and Quentrell almost preferred it to having all of their children in the small lair. Even with the pause between each parent taking the hatchlings out to train, always leaving one group home before the other left, there were still tensions arising. Lin and Sarannah argued incessantly. Quentrell held in a sigh as he hung back upon returning from yet another night of training with Sarannah, leaving her to enter the lair alone. They were all nearly adults, and he needed to find Zero. He ventured up the winding steps Zero magically carved into the closest tree, slowly making the ascent to their lookout point. Meanwhile, poor Marlais was flattened to the wall. He continued to sort out their food bags as a growl arose from Sarannah. “What are you looking at Lin? Huh? What’s that look for?” Sarannah glared at the Fae in mind, who frilled her wings challengingly. “You’re too antisocial. This is a family, not just you. How will things be down the line? We’re almost adults now, and you still haven’t changed.” Lin’s frills practically vibrated with anger, more than making up for her monotone. “I’m pulling my weight.” Sarannah flung a bag onto the ground with a thud, pouring out dried plants and skittering insects. “Which is more than you can say.” In the time that Lin seethed, Assiel slipped out before either sister could notice him and drag him into their disagreement. Neither of their parents were in the lair, something that didn’t escape his notice. Still, he started down the path to a nearby dirt area. Bones and other scavenged decorations lined the area, before he came to a circle. It was made for sparring, but hardly any of them used it for that. Instead, Corinthia kept to the center flinging off a thick, red haze at plants just beyond the light. They withered with each hit, but it seemed that she wasn’t strong enough to kill them completely yet. “Are they at it again?” Corinthia’s voice was casual, she didn’t even turn to face Assiel. “As always.” he watched as she flicked another bolt off, this one much more precise and concentrated. “And you left Marlais inside again?” “Yep.” he pawed the dirt with a slow nod, barely looking up as another streak of red stained Corinthia into a dark haze. “You’re awful.” “Yeah,” Assiel pointedly looked at his sister. “But aren’t you out here for the same reason?” Corinthia merely shrugged and nodded. He was right. She was outside for the same reason. As of late, she only spent the afternoons inside. Her mornings were spent training to catch food, and the nights were spent training to fight. They sat in silence for a long time, until Marlais came out to collect them. “Father would like to see you two.” their little brother stayed far away from Corinthia’s magic, something that not even Assiel could blame him for. “Are we in trouble?” Assiel asked, before Marlais could leave. “Did he say anything?” “Only that he needs to see everyone.” Marlais flapped his wings unsurely. “I wonder if something happened?” Corinthia asked, following the two back to the lair. Their father waited in the middle of the lair’s main room, waiting until the three settled in before speaking. ZeroHour rested near his pearl. Marlais resumed his place near the food stock, while Corinthia and Assiel kept near the door. Lin and Sarannah rested at opposing sides of the room. “How are you feeling?” Quentrell asked, looking to each of the hatchlings - hardly so now. “We’re in one piece.” Lin said, forcing amicability. “Not hungry either.” Sarannah said, tensely nodding. “Well, we got everyone here.” Marlais piped up with a frill flare. Pausing to let the sisters’ tension ease before he continued, Quentrell addressed the last two to join them. “Assiel? Corinthia?” “I would like to know what we are here for.” Corinthia nodded. “I agree. Is something wrong, father?” Assiel asked, even looking at their mother. “No, nothing is wrong.” Quentrell smiled, glancing at the quiet ZeroHour. “We… have something for you to do.” ZeroHour said, flying up to perch on Quentrell’s shoulder. Both parents looked at each of the children gathered around them again. Sarannah hummed, tail swishing back and forth as she hunched over her pearl. Lin was relaxed by her own makeshift sleeping area, for whenever she had enough of her more abrasive sister. Marlais exchanged glances with multiple others, who simply shrugged him off. Corinthia and Assiel remained attentive. A distant rattling could be heard from wandering Shattered Serpents. “Your hunting has been going well?” Quentrell asked, receiving multiple nods. Some were more vigorous than others. “Tomorrow, all of you will be going beyond the lair’s borders to hunt for food alone.” Silence. A couple of them looked taken aback, but even they did not gasp or argue. “Is there a reason?” Assiel asked. “If you cannot hunt on your own now - at your best - you will not survive. There is nothing gained in prolonging the inevitable.” ZeroHour answered, a couple frills twitching in thought. They had discussed this for a long time. It was reasonable. Her children went quiet again, as they all sat in thought. Assiel in particular looked to the ceiling and nodded, as if he came to the same conclusion. There was no point in living together for longer than this, if they would be killed later on. It would do even more damage that way. Better to do this now. “I’m sure it’ll keep you up either way, so I’ll tell you more on how this will work.” Quentrell said, his voice growing firm for the next part. “We split you into ‘even’ groups, and I’m going to warn you now that this was random.” He steeled himself for what he was about to say next, praying to the Goddess that one or even more than one of his children wouldn’t die because of this. “Lin, Assiel, and Sarannah - you are a team.” They stared at him with mouths slightly open. Even Assiel rubbed his neck, warily glancing at the warring pair. Quentrell moved on lest a real war break out. “Marlais and Corinthia, you are the other team.” Both Fae nodded slowly, still recovering from the last statement. “The goal is for you to gather whatever food you need, or if you’re feeling bold to go out and scavenge some materials for us to use here. Once you finish, return to the lair. All of you are in a [i]team[/i]. You cannot separate off and go on your own. As always, try to avoid the beastclan and other dragons. Your mother will stay at the lookout point to watch your progress. I will patrol the borders to guard the lair. If anything happens, we cannot help you… unless you can make it back to our lair borders.” Quentrell sighed. “Questions?” ZeroHour asked. “When are we going?” Sarannah asked, swishing her tail again. “Pick the time that is best for your group. You should probably discuss that now.” Quentrell nodded to her. Sarannah sent a dirty look Assiel’s way, knowing very well that they specifically dealt in opposing hunting times. He returned the look sharply. “Anything else?” ZeroHour asked, breaking the silence again. “Will you be around? I think we’ll all have more questions once we talk it out…” Corinthia barely glanced at the other team. “Of course.” “Yes.” The dragons scattered. Corinthia flew over to Marlais, helping him start dispersing dinner. Sarannah and Lin stayed where they were, only moving to the only table when Assiel sharply glared at the two. It would be a long night. [rule] @RoyalSorceress @FallowFreckles @IronPen @FlufferLover @queenmedusozoa @ElectriWinter @Drakenhart Apologies that this wasn't up sooner. It was ready yesterday, and then three grids of my city lost power right as I was ready to post. Heir Selection will be up later today! RNG has a sense of humor, pairing Sarannah with Lin. Who are you rooting for? Who do you think will win? I've made the mistake of scrying Sarannah too. I'm going to throw them to the wolves and write the next chapter, before I scry Lin. [rule] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2194327/5#post_27911495][i]Click for the next chaper: Generation 2 - Heir Selection, Part 1[/i][/url] [/center]
8e0286da716b.png
Generation 2 - Preparation

They trained with their parents until they grew into adults, mostly in catching their meals. Fortunately, the whole family could eat insects. It made looking for food less of a hassle, because they could all learn the same subject. The two Pearlcatchers also learned to identify which plants they could eat, and which ones could only be eaten in small amounts to slowly work their systems up to where it could be food.

ZeroHour decided to take Lin and Marlais with her at night, as their colors would be dulled as much as possible in the dark. It also made finding food harder in the dark, forcing the two to listen rather than look. The two learned to pull their own weight, if not much more.

If they had made anything clear, the Pearlcatchers of the nest made it clear that they did like each other - when they were far away from each other. Very far away from each other. Sarannah and Assiel genuinely loved each other, bonding over being the only Pearlcatchers of their nest… they just didn’t see eye-to-eye on much of anything. Thus, Quentrell took Assiel and surprisingly, Corinthia to search for food in the mornings. The pair bonded strongly, both agreeing on whatever they decided quickly. They kept their talk to a minimum, pushing for safety and caution every step of the way. The pair was by far the most strategic and cohesive of the nest.

This left Quentrell to take Sarannah out at night, where she could blend in the with the shadows more than any of the others. The dark afforded him more ability to train her properly, as he didn’t need to hide as much as he did in the sunlight. He wasn’t sure that it mattered, as she tended to stalk off a distance away from him to find what she needed on her own. Still, perhaps it made a difference.

On the rare occasion that they all went somewhere as a group, it was to ZeroHour’s birth clan. It still lay in ruins, picked to the bone by all who passed through. Quentrell explained what this place was to the hatchlings, allowing them to sift through and find whatever remained that they would like to have. At these times, the hatchlings all split off with different goals in mind. Corinthia would approach her training partner occasionally, only to return to whatever she was doing after a few words between them. Lin vouched for the tattered, yet still thick and soft materials. Sarannah looked for weaponry, armor, or trap materials. Marlais simply offered to help the others find what they wanted, and to carry some of it for them. They could have sworn Assiel brought something with him, but no one could remember what. As for Corinthia, she purposely slipped her findings into a small bag she carried with her.

It may have been mundane, but both ZeroHour and Quentrell almost preferred it to having all of their children in the small lair. Even with the pause between each parent taking the hatchlings out to train, always leaving one group home before the other left, there were still tensions arising. Lin and Sarannah argued incessantly. Quentrell held in a sigh as he hung back upon returning from yet another night of training with Sarannah, leaving her to enter the lair alone. They were all nearly adults, and he needed to find Zero. He ventured up the winding steps Zero magically carved into the closest tree, slowly making the ascent to their lookout point.
Meanwhile, poor Marlais was flattened to the wall. He continued to sort out their food bags as a growl arose from Sarannah.

“What are you looking at Lin? Huh? What’s that look for?” Sarannah glared at the Fae in mind, who frilled her wings challengingly.

“You’re too antisocial. This is a family, not just you. How will things be down the line? We’re almost adults now, and you still haven’t changed.” Lin’s frills practically vibrated with anger, more than making up for her monotone.

“I’m pulling my weight.” Sarannah flung a bag onto the ground with a thud, pouring out dried plants and skittering insects. “Which is more than you can say.”

In the time that Lin seethed, Assiel slipped out before either sister could notice him and drag him into their disagreement. Neither of their parents were in the lair, something that didn’t escape his notice. Still, he started down the path to a nearby dirt area. Bones and other scavenged decorations lined the area, before he came to a circle. It was made for sparring, but hardly any of them used it for that. Instead, Corinthia kept to the center flinging off a thick, red haze at plants just beyond the light. They withered with each hit, but it seemed that she wasn’t strong enough to kill them completely yet.

“Are they at it again?” Corinthia’s voice was casual, she didn’t even turn to face Assiel.

“As always.” he watched as she flicked another bolt off, this one much more precise and concentrated.

“And you left Marlais inside again?”

“Yep.” he pawed the dirt with a slow nod, barely looking up as another streak of red stained Corinthia into a dark haze.

“You’re awful.”

“Yeah,” Assiel pointedly looked at his sister. “But aren’t you out here for the same reason?”

Corinthia merely shrugged and nodded. He was right. She was outside for the same reason. As of late, she only spent the afternoons inside. Her mornings were spent training to catch food, and the nights were spent training to fight. They sat in silence for a long time, until Marlais came out to collect them.

“Father would like to see you two.” their little brother stayed far away from Corinthia’s magic, something that not even Assiel could blame him for.

“Are we in trouble?” Assiel asked, before Marlais could leave. “Did he say anything?”

“Only that he needs to see everyone.” Marlais flapped his wings unsurely.

“I wonder if something happened?” Corinthia asked, following the two back to the lair.

Their father waited in the middle of the lair’s main room, waiting until the three settled in before speaking. ZeroHour rested near his pearl. Marlais resumed his place near the food stock, while Corinthia and Assiel kept near the door. Lin and Sarannah rested at opposing sides of the room.

“How are you feeling?” Quentrell asked, looking to each of the hatchlings - hardly so now.

“We’re in one piece.” Lin said, forcing amicability.

“Not hungry either.” Sarannah said, tensely nodding.

“Well, we got everyone here.” Marlais piped up with a frill flare.

Pausing to let the sisters’ tension ease before he continued, Quentrell addressed the last two to join them.

“Assiel? Corinthia?”

“I would like to know what we are here for.” Corinthia nodded.

“I agree. Is something wrong, father?” Assiel asked, even looking at their mother.

“No, nothing is wrong.” Quentrell smiled, glancing at the quiet ZeroHour.

“We… have something for you to do.” ZeroHour said, flying up to perch on Quentrell’s shoulder.

Both parents looked at each of the children gathered around them again. Sarannah hummed, tail swishing back and forth as she hunched over her pearl. Lin was relaxed by her own makeshift sleeping area, for whenever she had enough of her more abrasive sister. Marlais exchanged glances with multiple others, who simply shrugged him off. Corinthia and Assiel remained attentive. A distant rattling could be heard from wandering Shattered Serpents.

“Your hunting has been going well?” Quentrell asked, receiving multiple nods. Some were more vigorous than others. “Tomorrow, all of you will be going beyond the lair’s borders to hunt for food alone.”

Silence. A couple of them looked taken aback, but even they did not gasp or argue.

“Is there a reason?” Assiel asked.

“If you cannot hunt on your own now - at your best - you will not survive. There is nothing gained in prolonging the inevitable.” ZeroHour answered, a couple frills twitching in thought.

They had discussed this for a long time. It was reasonable. Her children went quiet again, as they all sat in thought. Assiel in particular looked to the ceiling and nodded, as if he came to the same conclusion. There was no point in living together for longer than this, if they would be killed later on. It would do even more damage that way. Better to do this now.

“I’m sure it’ll keep you up either way, so I’ll tell you more on how this will work.” Quentrell said, his voice growing firm for the next part. “We split you into ‘even’ groups, and I’m going to warn you now that this was random.”

He steeled himself for what he was about to say next, praying to the Goddess that one or even more than one of his children wouldn’t die because of this.

“Lin, Assiel, and Sarannah - you are a team.”

They stared at him with mouths slightly open. Even Assiel rubbed his neck, warily glancing at the warring pair. Quentrell moved on lest a real war break out.

“Marlais and Corinthia, you are the other team.”

Both Fae nodded slowly, still recovering from the last statement.

“The goal is for you to gather whatever food you need, or if you’re feeling bold to go out and scavenge some materials for us to use here. Once you finish, return to the lair. All of you are in a team. You cannot separate off and go on your own. As always, try to avoid the beastclan and other dragons. Your mother will stay at the lookout point to watch your progress. I will patrol the borders to guard the lair. If anything happens, we cannot help you… unless you can make it back to our lair borders.” Quentrell sighed.

“Questions?” ZeroHour asked.

“When are we going?” Sarannah asked, swishing her tail again.

“Pick the time that is best for your group. You should probably discuss that now.” Quentrell nodded to her.

Sarannah sent a dirty look Assiel’s way, knowing very well that they specifically dealt in opposing hunting times. He returned the look sharply.

“Anything else?” ZeroHour asked, breaking the silence again.

“Will you be around? I think we’ll all have more questions once we talk it out…” Corinthia barely glanced at the other team.

“Of course.”

“Yes.”

The dragons scattered. Corinthia flew over to Marlais, helping him start dispersing dinner. Sarannah and Lin stayed where they were, only moving to the only table when Assiel sharply glared at the two. It would be a long night.

@RoyalSorceress @FallowFreckles @IronPen @FlufferLover @queenmedusozoa @ElectriWinter @Drakenhart

Apologies that this wasn't up sooner. It was ready yesterday, and then three grids of my city lost power right as I was ready to post. Heir Selection will be up later today!

RNG has a sense of humor, pairing Sarannah with Lin.

Who are you rooting for? Who do you think will win?

I've made the mistake of scrying Sarannah too. I'm going to throw them to the wolves and write the next chapter, before I scry Lin.

Click for the next chaper: Generation 2 - Heir Selection, Part 1
4UUQPPZ.gif
@VoxxVoleur Yes!! This is a neat take on the Legacy Challenge, I love it :D

I'm totally rooting for Assiel, of course uvu
@VoxxVoleur Yes!! This is a neat take on the Legacy Challenge, I love it :D

I'm totally rooting for Assiel, of course uvu
tumblr_osypjonciM1u9ymyzo1_100.png ....................................................................................... tumblr_osyre6Wpes1u9ymyzo7_r1_100.png
@VoxxVoleur You write very well! :) It's very engaging. :)

Which team is going first? The three or the two?
@VoxxVoleur You write very well! :) It's very engaging. :)

Which team is going first? The three or the two?
@FallowFreckles

I'm glad you do!

Yeah, Assiel is the best in terms of color and upgrades. I wouldn't mind Corinthia or even Sarannah though. Those two scry phenominally. Lore isn't bad either.

Team one will be fun(?)! I'm actually going to let the coliseum decide what time of day that group ends up hunting in, because the planning went...hmm...Lin mentions how it went.

@Drakenhart

Thank you! I'm really glad you think so.

As per the rules, the three will go first. That'll be fun. They all hate each other. ^^;

I'm actually writing as I throw them in the coli now.
@FallowFreckles

I'm glad you do!

Yeah, Assiel is the best in terms of color and upgrades. I wouldn't mind Corinthia or even Sarannah though. Those two scry phenominally. Lore isn't bad either.

Team one will be fun(?)! I'm actually going to let the coliseum decide what time of day that group ends up hunting in, because the planning went...hmm...Lin mentions how it went.

@Drakenhart

Thank you! I'm really glad you think so.

As per the rules, the three will go first. That'll be fun. They all hate each other. ^^;

I'm actually writing as I throw them in the coli now.
4UUQPPZ.gif
@VoxxVoleur

Oh right! I forgot about that part of the rules. Oops. *makes a mental note*

Then, although I like Assiel, I'm going to say that Sarannah from team one, and Corinthia will end up in the final team. Just a guess. ;)
@VoxxVoleur

Oh right! I forgot about that part of the rules. Oops. *makes a mental note*

Then, although I like Assiel, I'm going to say that Sarannah from team one, and Corinthia will end up in the final team. Just a guess. ;)
@Drakenhart

The coli is tense and someone's getting targetted hard.

I am truly hoping that it will be Corinthia from team two's lineup.
@Drakenhart

The coli is tense and someone's getting targetted hard.

I am truly hoping that it will be Corinthia from team two's lineup.
4UUQPPZ.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8