Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [Lore] The Longest Winter [WIP]
[center][font=Garamond][size=4] [b]A word of warning:[/b] My lore and dragon bios often contain slightly darker themes like bloodshed, death, and monsters. ----- [i]Far to the south, a glacial mountain dips its roots into the frigid sea. Its flanks are shrouded by mist, and the slopes shrouded with snow. Summer is as short as it is brilliant here, and the winters are long and dark - but even in the darkest moments, a light can be found.[/i] [b]Welcome to Brightwinter[/b] [url=https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/738253508335239212/740354390220865586/brightwinterfinal.png][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/738253508335239212/740354390405152848/brightwinterpreview.png[/img][/url] [map x=880 y=4632 view=land width=480 height=240]Check it out![/map] [i]"Don't let appearances deceive you - it may look like a beautiful, shining gem of a city - and it certainly is that - but it is a fortress as well, and it has seen its share of bloodshed."[/i] - Verrin, Brightwinter historian and scribe This clan has not always been a place of acceptance and peace. Not so long ago, it was ruled over by one with a heart colder than the ice itself, who brought his curse back to all of the clan. Even before that, it's history is not as noble as some might claim. These days, however, it is ruled over by a benevolent guardian and a council of dragons representing every element. Even so, there are those within the clan who are wise to wonder how long such peace can last. ----- Brightwinter is located in the far south, on the mountainous coastlines where the long antarctic nights are often alight with pure elemental magic. It is an ancient fortress remade into an expansive city, carved from stone and ice into a glacier on the side of a mountain, overlooking the tundra and the vast expanse of Sornieth's southernmost sea. It is a last outpost for those travelling to the end of the world, to serve the Icewarden or their own ends. The clan does a good portion of it's trade by sea, and sends its representatives by ship or occasionally over land to marketplaces, gatherings, or other clans both for trade, to acquire knowledge, and to strengthen their ties with their allies or to make new connections. Travelers are welcomed to the glacial city with warm hospitality - a precious thing in such an inhospitable region. You'll find a handful of allied dragons with other affiliations in the clan's lair at any one time - merchant traders, travelling scholars, free spirits, all find themselves welcomed these days at Brightwinter. The clan is currently in it's own Third Age, Brightwinter, a sort of Renaissance golden period following the Second Age, a generation of darkness and bloodshed known as the Bloodwinter (more on that later). Before that was a monarchical ice clan with a history that reaches back for many generations, to the construction of the first rough fortress and a legendary pact with the Icewarden to watch over the mountain that they still call home. These days the clan welcomes dragons of all elements and is governed in part by a clan of representatives from all flights, in addition to the Arkhos, who rule of the clan together with the help of other advisors. This time of stability and cooperation has lead to a surge in trade as well as brought new frontiers in the knowledge and culture of the city, but there are those who wonder how long it can last, and others who are already working to shift the balance of power and serve their own agendas. New powers stir restlessly, and old ones cling on, gaining new holds. [b]WIP [/size][/font][/center]

A word of warning: My lore and dragon bios often contain slightly darker themes like bloodshed, death, and monsters.

Far to the south, a glacial mountain dips its roots into the frigid sea. Its flanks are shrouded by mist, and the slopes shrouded with snow. Summer is as short as it is brilliant here, and the winters are long and dark - but even in the darkest moments, a light can be found.

Welcome to Brightwinter

brightwinterpreview.png

"Don't let appearances deceive you - it may look like a beautiful, shining gem of a city - and it certainly is that - but it is a fortress as well, and it has seen its share of bloodshed." - Verrin, Brightwinter historian and scribe

This clan has not always been a place of acceptance and peace. Not so long ago, it was ruled over by one with a heart colder than the ice itself, who brought his curse back to all of the clan. Even before that, it's history is not as noble as some might claim. These days, however, it is ruled over by a benevolent guardian and a council of dragons representing every element. Even so, there are those within the clan who are wise to wonder how long such peace can last.

Brightwinter is located in the far south, on the mountainous coastlines where the long antarctic nights are often alight with pure elemental magic. It is an ancient fortress remade into an expansive city, carved from stone and ice into a glacier on the side of a mountain, overlooking the tundra and the vast expanse of Sornieth's southernmost sea. It is a last outpost for those travelling to the end of the world, to serve the Icewarden or their own ends.

The clan does a good portion of it's trade by sea, and sends its representatives by ship or occasionally over land to marketplaces, gatherings, or other clans both for trade, to acquire knowledge, and to strengthen their ties with their allies or to make new connections. Travelers are welcomed to the glacial city with warm hospitality - a precious thing in such an inhospitable region. You'll find a handful of allied dragons with other affiliations in the clan's lair at any one time - merchant traders, travelling scholars, free spirits, all find themselves welcomed these days at Brightwinter.

The clan is currently in it's own Third Age, Brightwinter, a sort of Renaissance golden period following the Second Age, a generation of darkness and bloodshed known as the Bloodwinter (more on that later). Before that was a monarchical ice clan with a history that reaches back for many generations, to the construction of the first rough fortress and a legendary pact with the Icewarden to watch over the mountain that they still call home.

These days the clan welcomes dragons of all elements and is governed in part by a clan of representatives from all flights, in addition to the Arkhos, who rule of the clan together with the help of other advisors. This time of stability and cooperation has lead to a surge in trade as well as brought new frontiers in the knowledge and culture of the city, but there are those who wonder how long it can last, and others who are already working to shift the balance of power and serve their own agendas. New powers stir restlessly, and old ones cling on, gaining new holds.

WIP

SCtan5m.png
Southern Lights Hatchery & Ice Nesting d8c1a852df2fd8a.png

[center][font=Garamond][size=4] _________________________________________________________________________ [b]Notable Dragons[/b] these have lore in their bios, as do many more [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/292498/29249700.png[/img] [b]Glacia[/b] [i]Harbinger of the Third Age, Arkhos of the Burning Light[/i] Current Arkhos of Brightwinter, Guardian charged with keeping watch over the clan. She takes her duties as a Guardian and war-time leader seriously but has relinquished most of her day-to-day power to the council and her advisors in an age of peace and prosperity. [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/292498/29249701.png[/img] [b]Verrin[/b] [i]Maker of the Best Cup of Tea in Brightwinter[/i] Brightwinter Clan Master Historian, advisor to the council and Arkhos, friend to many and enemey to A Select Few. Spends a lot of time buried in Brightwinter's archives these days but manages to be friends with most of the clan's members and throws fabulous New Year's parties. He still enjoys indulging in adventures now and then, too. [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/324009/32400814.png[/img] [b]Lucan[/b] [i]The Usurper, Harbinger of the Second Age, The Undying, Arkhos of the Bloodwinter[/i] Banished and deposed ex-Arkhos of Bloodwinter, An Imperial who seized the throne and slew his own kin to bring about an age of tribute to the Plaguebringer. These days he is in exile, his location unkown. [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/346859/34685890.png[/img] [b]Vrulcyr[/b] [i]The Thirsty One, The Drinker Of Life, The Living Blade, The Shattered[/i] A Dragon who used to be a sword, or was it the other way around? She was one of Lucan's closest allies, until she was shattered in a battle against Glacia and her allies. No-one is quite sure what happened to the pieces, or what it would mean if she were to be re-forged. _________________________________________________________________________ [b]Notable Places, Factions, and Other Things[/b] [b]Newhearth Lodge[/b] is a recently-renovated inn and tavern located centrally between Brightwinter's city gates, docks, and the council & arts districts. It was refurbished and opened to guests by its new owners, [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/34395034]Silvern[/url] and [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/62755923]Patchouli[/url], shortly after the city re-opened itself to trade and travelers, and is a favorite among locals and those passing through alike. The atmosphere here is sometimes subdued and sometimes raucous, but always warm and welcoming. [b]The Anvindr[/b] 'Anvindr' Is an Old Norse name composed of the elements ‘an’, meaning against, and ‘vindr’ meaning the wind. Hence, the name Anvindr means ‘against the wind’. Where the Old Norse comes from is another story. She is a three-mast Schooner built to accommodate a bellyfull of cargo and a handful of crew - with room enough for a few larger dragons. Her Captain is an Imperial called Typhon, a merchant who’s made a small fortune for himself and his crew running up and down the coastlines of Sornieth. The open sea calls to him, but he prefers to stay close to civilization when he can. The Anvindr's trips to Brightwinter twice yearly are a vital link to the rest of Sornieth for the clan's prosperity, allowing them to sell trade raw materials and recovered relics in exchange for supplies and finished goods, as well as bringing an influx of new members, travelers and tributes who would not otherwise brave the trek across the icefields to the isolated coastal fortress. [/size][/font][/center]

Notable Dragons
these have lore in their bios, as do many more

29249700.png
Glacia
Harbinger of the Third Age, Arkhos of the Burning Light
Current Arkhos of Brightwinter, Guardian charged with keeping watch over the clan. She takes her duties as a Guardian and war-time leader seriously but has relinquished most of her day-to-day power to the council and her advisors in an age of peace and prosperity.

29249701.png
Verrin
Maker of the Best Cup of Tea in Brightwinter
Brightwinter Clan Master Historian, advisor to the council and Arkhos, friend to many and enemey to A Select Few. Spends a lot of time buried in Brightwinter's archives these days but manages to be friends with most of the clan's members and throws fabulous New Year's parties. He still enjoys indulging in adventures now and then, too.

32400814.png
Lucan
The Usurper, Harbinger of the Second Age, The Undying, Arkhos of the Bloodwinter
Banished and deposed ex-Arkhos of Bloodwinter, An Imperial who seized the throne and slew his own kin to bring about an age of tribute to the Plaguebringer. These days he is in exile, his location unkown.

34685890.png
Vrulcyr
The Thirsty One, The Drinker Of Life, The Living Blade, The Shattered
A Dragon who used to be a sword, or was it the other way around? She was one of Lucan's closest allies, until she was shattered in a battle against Glacia and her allies. No-one is quite sure what happened to the pieces, or what it would mean if she were to be re-forged.

Notable Places, Factions, and Other Things

Newhearth Lodge is a recently-renovated inn and tavern located centrally between Brightwinter's city gates, docks, and the council & arts districts. It was refurbished and opened to guests by its new owners, Silvern and Patchouli, shortly after the city re-opened itself to trade and travelers, and is a favorite among locals and those passing through alike. The atmosphere here is sometimes subdued and sometimes raucous, but always warm and welcoming.

The Anvindr 'Anvindr' Is an Old Norse name composed of the elements ‘an’, meaning against, and ‘vindr’ meaning the wind. Hence, the name Anvindr means ‘against the wind’. Where the Old Norse comes from is another story.

She is a three-mast Schooner built to accommodate a bellyfull of cargo and a handful of crew - with room enough for a few larger dragons. Her Captain is an Imperial called Typhon, a merchant who’s made a small fortune for himself and his crew running up and down the coastlines of Sornieth. The open sea calls to him, but he prefers to stay close to civilization when he can.

The Anvindr's trips to Brightwinter twice yearly are a vital link to the rest of Sornieth for the clan's prosperity, allowing them to sell trade raw materials and recovered relics in exchange for supplies and finished goods, as well as bringing an influx of new members, travelers and tributes who would not otherwise brave the trek across the icefields to the isolated coastal fortress.

SCtan5m.png

~
~
SCtan5m.png

I need to go over old stuff, make sure everything lines up, and clean and organize this thread, but I've created a google doc with a rough timeline of events across the three ages of my clan that I want to drop here for future reference: [center] [url=https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PCX9EUaNUCz_4Sb69qmxDdvLAcOZIrsBotF1weS6czY/edit?usp=sharing]Brightwinter Clan Lore Timeline[/url] [emoji=ice rune size=1][/center]
I need to go over old stuff, make sure everything lines up, and clean and organize this thread, but I've created a google doc with a rough timeline of events across the three ages of my clan that I want to drop here for future reference:
SCtan5m.png