Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | From Ember Into Flame [Pinkerlocke]
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
[center][size=5][color=orange][b]Art Post #16[/b][/size] [size=4][color=orange][b]Fulfills task for: Day 121 (August 2, 2017)[/b][/color][/size] [color=orange][b]Task completed on: December 8, 2019 Item of the Day:[/b][/color] [item=Stuffed Pincushion] [/center] [i](click for bigger)[/i] [url=https://66.media.tumblr.com/260973a87827272c34cf7f47247ce2dc/afc48cde1cd93a00-b6/s1280x1920/a554c3a1d446ee598939de76e603c7371af165f8.jpg][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/260973a87827272c34cf7f47247ce2dc/afc48cde1cd93a00-b6/s1280x1920/a554c3a1d446ee598939de76e603c7371af165f8.jpg[/img][/url] I drew the moment in the previous story post where Rythorn finds the lost egg. During the period when I was originally tracking items for this Pinkerlocke, I really did find an egg in the coli while I was doing one of the coli rounds prescribed by Pinkerton. It was the very first time I'd ever gotten an egg from the coli, so I decided to write it into the story. (I was also so excited about it that I took a screenshot of the event. Again, click for bigger.) [url=https://66.media.tumblr.com/2c62594779d2fceeb80dc040a15dd8ca/afc48cde1cd93a00-8f/s1280x1920/42a9ec20c1d5b62ee53118967d5ea8da1dfce701.png][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/2c62594779d2fceeb80dc040a15dd8ca/afc48cde1cd93a00-8f/s1280x1920/42a9ec20c1d5b62ee53118967d5ea8da1dfce701.png[/img][/url] @Petall @Sabariel - Fixed! This post now contains actual content.
Art Post #16

Fulfills task for: Day 121 (August 2, 2017)
Task completed on: December 8, 2019
Item of the Day:

Stuffed Pincushion

(click for bigger)

a554c3a1d446ee598939de76e603c7371af165f8.jpg

I drew the moment in the previous story post where Rythorn finds the lost egg. During the period when I was originally tracking items for this Pinkerlocke, I really did find an egg in the coli while I was doing one of the coli rounds prescribed by Pinkerton. It was the very first time I'd ever gotten an egg from the coli, so I decided to write it into the story. (I was also so excited about it that I took a screenshot of the event. Again, click for bigger.)

42a9ec20c1d5b62ee53118967d5ea8da1dfce701.png

@Petall @Sabariel - Fixed! This post now contains actual content.
@BarbaraFett

Oooo! I love the art piece of them crossing over! It's exciting that they are in teh Viridian labyrinth, and I am very excited for the egg! :D
@BarbaraFett

Oooo! I love the art piece of them crossing over! It's exciting that they are in teh Viridian labyrinth, and I am very excited for the egg! :D
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
[center][size=5][color=orange][b]Journey Chronicles - Scene 37[/b][/size] [size=4][color=orange][b]Fulfills task for: Day 112 (July 24, 2017)[/b][/color][/size] [color=orange][b]Task completed on: November 13 (revised Dec. 14), 2019 Item of the Day:[/b][/color] [item=Intact Clay Relief] [/center] Silviana’s eagerness to have another younger clanmate to play with and take care of became more and more obvious as Clan Ashfeather made their way across the Viridian Labyrinth. By the time they boarded the ferry that crossed the waterway between Nature and Light territory, she had started to convince the older dragons in the clan that more hatchlings were a good idea. Once the clan had officially registered with Light’s officials and entered the Sunbeam Ruins, Mindor and Mithril took the lead in the clan’s day-to-day journey, with Starbloom’s and Felicity’s blessing. They were the clan’s only remaining mated pair, and they were on the lookout for a good temporary lair. They found what they were looking for when they came upon a single-story, rectangular stone building, elevated above the ground by a few shallow, white limestone steps. It was beginning to crumble with time, but Mindor and Mithril thought it was perfect. The interior was filled with beautifully-decorated columns, covered in images and scenes that had evidently been carved to honor some ancient, forgotten deity or ancestral spirit. The style was strange and inscrutable, and none of the details were recognizably associated with any of the mythology or theology that anyone in Clan Ashfeather was familiar with. Words in an unknown language were carved in a band around the top of the walls where they met the sloping ceiling. Each of the dragons claimed a corner or an alcove for themselves, then went out to learn the lay of the land around the old temple and search for food - except for Mindor and Mithril, who stayed to settle into their new lair. A few days later, Mithril had laid a new nest, once again producing three eggs. The whole time they stayed at the ancient temple, though, the clan never forgot that they would need to keep moving toward the Ashfall Waste as soon as the new hatchlings had had a chance to grow up at least partway. One fact hadn’t changed: The cliff face that formed the border between Light and Lightning territory still lay ahead of Clan Ashfeather, and the clan needed to be as prepared for the perilous climb down as possible. Felicity, Starbloom, and Rythorn were all fairly capable fighters, but Silviana convinced them to teach her to defend herself and the clan, successfully arguing that there was strength in numbers. Early one morning, Starbloom and Kessel brought Silviana with them on their patrol of the woodlands surrounding the temple they were staying in. Even with the two of them by her side, as soon as the group was engaged in an actual battle, Silviana realized she was out of her league. A centipede-like creature reared back, so that it seemed to tower over her. It sent a burst of blinding light flying directly at her head, and she knew no more. ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ Light emerged from the blackness. Silviana felt as if her horn were stabbing her through the eye, and her wings and limbs seemed to be made of lead. She realized that she was lying down, but she couldn’t find the strength to sit up. “Am I…?” she began, but the words died in her parched throat. She found someone holding a waterskin to her mouth, and drank from it gratefully. “What happened?” she asked when she could speak again. “A Crowned Bonepriest attacked you with a Contuse spell,” said a gentle voice - it was Starbloom’s. “I summoned a barrier to keep it away from you and Kessel while he carried you to safety. For a few moments, I thought you were dead. I am very glad that you are not.” “You look worn out.” “I have been drawing upon my magical reserves to heal you. It does tend to deplete one’s energy after a while. Please, rest. If we had to have a clan member rendered unable to travel for a few days, I am glad it happened here and now. We will not be going anywhere until Mindor and Mithril’s current nest hatches, and probably not for some time after that.”
Journey Chronicles - Scene 37

Fulfills task for: Day 112 (July 24, 2017)
Task completed on: November 13 (revised Dec. 14), 2019
Item of the Day:

Intact Clay Relief

Silviana’s eagerness to have another younger clanmate to play with and take care of became more and more obvious as Clan Ashfeather made their way across the Viridian Labyrinth. By the time they boarded the ferry that crossed the waterway between Nature and Light territory, she had started to convince the older dragons in the clan that more hatchlings were a good idea. Once the clan had officially registered with Light’s officials and entered the Sunbeam Ruins, Mindor and Mithril took the lead in the clan’s day-to-day journey, with Starbloom’s and Felicity’s blessing. They were the clan’s only remaining mated pair, and they were on the lookout for a good temporary lair.

They found what they were looking for when they came upon a single-story, rectangular stone building, elevated above the ground by a few shallow, white limestone steps. It was beginning to crumble with time, but Mindor and Mithril thought it was perfect. The interior was filled with beautifully-decorated columns, covered in images and scenes that had evidently been carved to honor some ancient, forgotten deity or ancestral spirit. The style was strange and inscrutable, and none of the details were recognizably associated with any of the mythology or theology that anyone in Clan Ashfeather was familiar with. Words in an unknown language were carved in a band around the top of the walls where they met the sloping ceiling.

Each of the dragons claimed a corner or an alcove for themselves, then went out to learn the lay of the land around the old temple and search for food - except for Mindor and Mithril, who stayed to settle into their new lair. A few days later, Mithril had laid a new nest, once again producing three eggs.

The whole time they stayed at the ancient temple, though, the clan never forgot that they would need to keep moving toward the Ashfall Waste as soon as the new hatchlings had had a chance to grow up at least partway. One fact hadn’t changed: The cliff face that formed the border between Light and Lightning territory still lay ahead of Clan Ashfeather, and the clan needed to be as prepared for the perilous climb down as possible. Felicity, Starbloom, and Rythorn were all fairly capable fighters, but Silviana convinced them to teach her to defend herself and the clan, successfully arguing that there was strength in numbers.

Early one morning, Starbloom and Kessel brought Silviana with them on their patrol of the woodlands surrounding the temple they were staying in. Even with the two of them by her side, as soon as the group was engaged in an actual battle, Silviana realized she was out of her league. A centipede-like creature reared back, so that it seemed to tower over her. It sent a burst of blinding light flying directly at her head, and she knew no more.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Light emerged from the blackness. Silviana felt as if her horn were stabbing her through the eye, and her wings and limbs seemed to be made of lead. She realized that she was lying down, but she couldn’t find the strength to sit up. “Am I…?” she began, but the words died in her parched throat. She found someone holding a waterskin to her mouth, and drank from it gratefully.

“What happened?” she asked when she could speak again.

“A Crowned Bonepriest attacked you with a Contuse spell,” said a gentle voice - it was Starbloom’s. “I summoned a barrier to keep it away from you and Kessel while he carried you to safety. For a few moments, I thought you were dead. I am very glad that you are not.”

“You look worn out.”

“I have been drawing upon my magical reserves to heal you. It does tend to deplete one’s energy after a while. Please, rest. If we had to have a clan member rendered unable to travel for a few days, I am glad it happened here and now. We will not be going anywhere until Mindor and Mithril’s current nest hatches, and probably not for some time after that.”
[center][size=5][color=orange][b]Event Post #10[/b][/size] [size=4][color=orange][b]Fulfills task for: Day 101 (July 13, 2017)[/b][/color][/size] [color=orange][b]Task completed on: July 20, 2017 Item of the Day:[/b][/color] [item=Iron Filigree Helmet] [/center] On 7/13/17, Mindor was still on breeding cooldown from his first nest, so I had to wait a week before I could start a new nest. Again, I didn't think to take a screenshot at the time, so here's a lazy visual. [center][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/332394/33239382.png[/img] [item=unhatched light egg] [item=unhatched light egg] [item=unhatched light egg] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/334666/33466572.png[/img][/center] @Petall @Sabariel - Again, this post and the one above it are new.
Event Post #10
Fulfills task for: Day 101 (July 13, 2017)
Task completed on: July 20, 2017
Item of the Day:

Iron Filigree Helmet

On 7/13/17, Mindor was still on breeding cooldown from his first nest, so I had to wait a week before I could start a new nest. Again, I didn't think to take a screenshot at the time, so here's a lazy visual.
33239382.png Unhatched Light Egg Unhatched Light Egg Unhatched Light Egg 33466572.png

@Petall @Sabariel - Again, this post and the one above it are new.
@BarbaraFett

Eyyy! A new nest! How exciting!!!
@BarbaraFett

Eyyy! A new nest! How exciting!!!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
Mind adding me to the pinglist, @BarbaraFett ?

I have to admit, I love the story so far, and I'm not entirely surprised that those Janustraps are evil. (Yes, I have caught up, but the loss of so many to those evil biting plants is particularly memorable.)
Mind adding me to the pinglist, @BarbaraFett ?

I have to admit, I love the story so far, and I'm not entirely surprised that those Janustraps are evil. (Yes, I have caught up, but the loss of so many to those evil biting plants is particularly memorable.)
@Dakala: Absolutely! This post made my day. Thank you so much! More is definitely coming, probably not until at least the 26th, but it is coming. And yes, those dang Janustraps really are some of the hardest hitters in their venue, game-mechanic-wise. :)
@Dakala: Absolutely! This post made my day. Thank you so much! More is definitely coming, probably not until at least the 26th, but it is coming. And yes, those dang Janustraps really are some of the hardest hitters in their venue, game-mechanic-wise. :)
[center][size=5][color=orange][b]Journey Chronicles - Scene 38[/b][/size] [size=4][color=orange][b]Fulfills task for: Day 115 (July 27, 2017)[/b][/color][/size] [color=orange][b]Task completed on: November 27*, 2019 Item of the Day:[/b][/color] [item=Muckbottom Shell] [/center] [i](*Or somewhere around the end of November. This post was finally revised and posted December 26, 2019.)[/i] Two days after that, when Silviana had almost finished recuperating, cracks of thunder began to sound in the distance. At the same time, the eggs in Mindor and Mithril’s second nest started to crack. Far off, over the Shifting Expanse, a huge thunderstorm was forming, large enough to be seen and heard even from the midst of the Sunbeam Ruins. The first hatchling to finish hatching, another Pearlcatcher girl, stretched out her wings for the first time just as the lightning flashed, so that it illuminated her wing membranes. She was named Stormglow. Her two younger siblings, a boy and a girl, were both Tundras like their mother. They were named Edisto and Coriola. The clan threw itself enthusiastically into taking care of the new hatchlings, spending hours gathering grubs, fruits, clover, and root vegetables for them to eat and brushing the burrs and tangles out of their fur. Silviana had the greatest time playing with her younger siblings, letting them chase and pounce on the tuft of fur at the end of her tail. Just as they had with the clan’s previous two nests, Starbloom and Felicity made sure the little ones grew up knowing about Clan Ashfeather’s map and the great journey to the Ashfall Waste they were on, and about all the different flights and deities that there were in the world. On that topic, they tried to be as unbiased and egalitarian as possible. They also taught them the rhyme that Mirrors used to teach their hatchlings the basic ground rules for living in a pack. It had been a tradition in Clan Adeptica for all hatchlings to be taught that rhyme, no matter what breed they were, and Clan Ashfeather had carried on the tradition. When the three hatchlings had grown up enough to have the stamina to walk for at least part of the day, Clan Ashfeather began preparing to leave their temporary camp and head back out onto the road. There wasn’t as much to pack as there had once been; many of their larger possessions, such as Ember’s portable forge and Belladonna’s alchemy set, had been left behind in their mad scramble to escape from the encounter with the centaurs on the island that had once been home to Mithril’s birth clan. However, they had amassed a respectable collection of baskets, satchels, and traveling bags in the time that had passed since then, and they still had the sling that had been used to carry Kamien when he had been a hatchling. Now, Starbloom gave it to Mindor to use when one of his hatchlings became tired of walking. Once they were out on the road, they gradually became aware that something was going on in the Sunbeam Ruins. They often passed other dragons out on the road, in small groups or in long columns, many of them wearing accessories marked with the Light Flight’s sigil and talking excitedly among themselves. The adults in Clan Ashfeather gathered that the struggle for dominance between the Light and Plague Flights had grown particularly intense, and the Lightweaver was holding a recruiting drive for dragons to assist her in the defense of her territory. Most of the dragons they passed were on their way to the Beacon of the Radiant Eye to join her cause. One day, after passing through a crossroads on their way south, they came upon a particularly interesting group of dragons. It was another of the columns of new exaltees-to-be on their way to the Beacon, but this one was led by three dragons who were performing a song as they went. A Wildclaw beat a marching rhythm on a drum slung around his neck, a Spiral played a set of handheld reed pipes, and a Pearlcatcher sang. The verses of the song praised the greatness and wisdom of the Lightweaver and the glories of the Light Flight, and the refrain called for any dragons who heard the song, and who were brave and adventurous, to come follow the singer and join the cause. The two little Tundras were completely enthralled by the Pearlcatcher’s singing. They scurried to the front of Clan Ashfeather’s group so that they could hear the words better. Every verse of the song elicited gasps and cries of delight from them, until they got their parents’ attention and pleaded with them to join the recruitment drive. “We’re brave and adventurous!” they said. “We love Lightweaver! We want to go on an adventure!” “We’re already on an adventure…” Mithril tried to convince them. “But we want to go an adventure [i]here![/i]” Edisto protested. “I think we should let them stay with the recruiters,” Mindor said. “It’s not such a bad life, really. Who wouldn’t like to meet a deity in person?” “YAY!” Taking their father’s words as permission, the two hatchlings dashed away from their birth clan’s group and fell in among the column of new recruits. “Children!” Mithril cried out mournfully, but her voice fell on deaf ears. Her children’s eyes and ears were fixed on the singers, and they were even starting to sing along with their song. Mithril supposed that this turn of events made sense, in a way. They had been hatched here in Light territory, and they had decided to go off to help defend it and make it stronger. It had been their decision, and as their mother, she resolved to support them in it. ... When I hatched that last nest, I got one heads and two tails on my coinflips. Instead of having the hatchlings die in the same way as before, though, I decided to do something different and more interesting with their lore. [color=orange][b]In Memoriam[/b][/color] [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/347017/34701621.png[/img] [nextcol] [b][color=orange]"Edisto"[/color][/b] Hatched: July 25, 2017 Exalted: July 30, 2017 Hatched in the Sunbeam Ruins, Edisto was caught up in the fervor of a recruiting drive and joined Lightweaver's exalted service. [/columns] [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/347017/34701620.png[/img] [nextcol] [b][color=orange]"Coriola"[/color][/b] Hatched: July 25, 2017 Exalted: July 30, 2017 Hatched in the Sunbeam Ruins, Coriola was caught up in the fervor of a recruiting drive and joined Lightweaver's exalted service. [/columns]
Journey Chronicles - Scene 38

Fulfills task for: Day 115 (July 27, 2017)
Task completed on: November 27*, 2019
Item of the Day:

Muckbottom Shell

(*Or somewhere around the end of November. This post was finally revised and posted December 26, 2019.)

Two days after that, when Silviana had almost finished recuperating, cracks of thunder began to sound in the distance. At the same time, the eggs in Mindor and Mithril’s second nest started to crack. Far off, over the Shifting Expanse, a huge thunderstorm was forming, large enough to be seen and heard even from the midst of the Sunbeam Ruins. The first hatchling to finish hatching, another Pearlcatcher girl, stretched out her wings for the first time just as the lightning flashed, so that it illuminated her wing membranes. She was named Stormglow. Her two younger siblings, a boy and a girl, were both Tundras like their mother. They were named Edisto and Coriola.

The clan threw itself enthusiastically into taking care of the new hatchlings, spending hours gathering grubs, fruits, clover, and root vegetables for them to eat and brushing the burrs and tangles out of their fur. Silviana had the greatest time playing with her younger siblings, letting them chase and pounce on the tuft of fur at the end of her tail. Just as they had with the clan’s previous two nests, Starbloom and Felicity made sure the little ones grew up knowing about Clan Ashfeather’s map and the great journey to the Ashfall Waste they were on, and about all the different flights and deities that there were in the world. On that topic, they tried to be as unbiased and egalitarian as possible. They also taught them the rhyme that Mirrors used to teach their hatchlings the basic ground rules for living in a pack. It had been a tradition in Clan Adeptica for all hatchlings to be taught that rhyme, no matter what breed they were, and Clan Ashfeather had carried on the tradition.

When the three hatchlings had grown up enough to have the stamina to walk for at least part of the day, Clan Ashfeather began preparing to leave their temporary camp and head back out onto the road. There wasn’t as much to pack as there had once been; many of their larger possessions, such as Ember’s portable forge and Belladonna’s alchemy set, had been left behind in their mad scramble to escape from the encounter with the centaurs on the island that had once been home to Mithril’s birth clan. However, they had amassed a respectable collection of baskets, satchels, and traveling bags in the time that had passed since then, and they still had the sling that had been used to carry Kamien when he had been a hatchling. Now, Starbloom gave it to Mindor to use when one of his hatchlings became tired of walking.

Once they were out on the road, they gradually became aware that something was going on in the Sunbeam Ruins. They often passed other dragons out on the road, in small groups or in long columns, many of them wearing accessories marked with the Light Flight’s sigil and talking excitedly among themselves. The adults in Clan Ashfeather gathered that the struggle for dominance between the Light and Plague Flights had grown particularly intense, and the Lightweaver was holding a recruiting drive for dragons to assist her in the defense of her territory. Most of the dragons they passed were on their way to the Beacon of the Radiant Eye to join her cause.

One day, after passing through a crossroads on their way south, they came upon a particularly interesting group of dragons. It was another of the columns of new exaltees-to-be on their way to the Beacon, but this one was led by three dragons who were performing a song as they went. A Wildclaw beat a marching rhythm on a drum slung around his neck, a Spiral played a set of handheld reed pipes, and a Pearlcatcher sang. The verses of the song praised the greatness and wisdom of the Lightweaver and the glories of the Light Flight, and the refrain called for any dragons who heard the song, and who were brave and adventurous, to come follow the singer and join the cause.

The two little Tundras were completely enthralled by the Pearlcatcher’s singing. They scurried to the front of Clan Ashfeather’s group so that they could hear the words better. Every verse of the song elicited gasps and cries of delight from them, until they got their parents’ attention and pleaded with them to join the recruitment drive. “We’re brave and adventurous!” they said. “We love Lightweaver! We want to go on an adventure!”

“We’re already on an adventure…” Mithril tried to convince them.

“But we want to go an adventure here!” Edisto protested.

“I think we should let them stay with the recruiters,” Mindor said. “It’s not such a bad life, really. Who wouldn’t like to meet a deity in person?”

“YAY!” Taking their father’s words as permission, the two hatchlings dashed away from their birth clan’s group and fell in among the column of new recruits.

“Children!” Mithril cried out mournfully, but her voice fell on deaf ears. Her children’s eyes and ears were fixed on the singers, and they were even starting to sing along with their song. Mithril supposed that this turn of events made sense, in a way. They had been hatched here in Light territory, and they had decided to go off to help defend it and make it stronger. It had been their decision, and as their mother, she resolved to support them in it.

When I hatched that last nest, I got one heads and two tails on my coinflips. Instead of having the hatchlings die in the same way as before, though, I decided to do something different and more interesting with their lore.

In Memoriam
34701621.png "Edisto"
Hatched: July 25, 2017
Exalted: July 30, 2017
Hatched in the Sunbeam Ruins, Edisto was caught up in the fervor of a recruiting drive and joined Lightweaver's exalted service.

34701620.png "Coriola"
Hatched: July 25, 2017
Exalted: July 30, 2017
Hatched in the Sunbeam Ruins, Coriola was caught up in the fervor of a recruiting drive and joined Lightweaver's exalted service.
[center][size=5][color=orange][b]Coliseum Battle Post #32[/b][/size] [size=4][color=orange][b]Fulfills tasks for: Day 116 (July 28, 2017)[/b][/color][/size] [color=orange][b]Battles Completed: 11 Items of the Day:[/b][/color] [item=Jungle Grass] [/center] In this round, Silviana leveled up to Level 7, and Starbloom leveled up to Level 11. [b]Loot[/b] [item=fragrant orchid] x4 [item=bluebite rattler] x3 [item=bonepriest venom] x3 [item=banded rattlesnake] x2 [item=reflective fish scales] x2 [item=giant desert centipede] x2 [item=seeker orb] x2 [item=shadow serpentskin] x1 [item=crowned bonepriest] x1 [item=dancer's bell] x1 [item=delta orchid] x1 [item=fishscale basket] x1 [item=peacock scorpion tail] x1 [item=barbed tail] x1 [item=squall seeker] x1 @Petall @Sabariel @Dakala - As usual when I update this thread, this ping is to alert you of both this post and the one directly above it, both of which are new.
Coliseum Battle Post #32

Fulfills tasks for: Day 116 (July 28, 2017)
Battles Completed: 11
Items of the Day:

Jungle Grass

In this round, Silviana leveled up to Level 7, and Starbloom leveled up to Level 11.

Loot

Fragrant Orchid x4 Bluebite Rattler x3 Bonepriest Venom x3 Banded Rattlesnake x2
Reflective Fish Scales x2 Giant Desert Centipede x2 Seeker Orb x2 Shadow Serpentskin x1
Crowned Bonepriest x1 Dancer's Bell x1 Delta Orchid x1 Fishscale Basket x1
Peacock Scorpion Tail x1 Barbed Tail x1 Squall Seeker x1

@Petall @Sabariel @Dakala - As usual when I update this thread, this ping is to alert you of both this post and the one directly above it, both of which are new.
@BarbaraFett

It's sad that two of the hatchlings had to say good-bye, but I'm glad one could stay
@BarbaraFett

It's sad that two of the hatchlings had to say good-bye, but I'm glad one could stay
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15