Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | PWYW Proofreading [Closed/new thread[
1 2 3 4
@Disillusionist
(someone likes my stories le gasp)
thank you i owe you one :D
@Disillusionist
(someone likes my stories le gasp)
thank you i owe you one :D
Steelhound.gif
@catcatamelia No problem. Glad to help! ^^
@catcatamelia No problem. Glad to help! ^^
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
I would ask you to proof read all of my dragons that I have lore for right now, but the last person who read all of my lore said it took over two hours :'D so anyone that you want to read and then proof would be wonderful! ^-^
I would ask you to proof read all of my dragons that I have lore for right now, but the last person who read all of my lore said it took over two hours :'D so anyone that you want to read and then proof would be wonderful! ^-^
c46cAiS.png
l74MzJv.png
@SocialBookWorm I'd be glad to give it a shot! I'll have to go to bed in a while, though, so maybe I'll just do one or two for now. Would you like me to post the proofread lore here, or just PM them to you? (By default, they're posted in the thread.)
@SocialBookWorm I'd be glad to give it a shot! I'll have to go to bed in a while, though, so maybe I'll just do one or two for now. Would you like me to post the proofread lore here, or just PM them to you? (By default, they're posted in the thread.)
Either one works for me~ And feel free to take your time on it! ^-^ I don't mind waiting!
Either one works for me~ And feel free to take your time on it! ^-^ I don't mind waiting!
c46cAiS.png
l74MzJv.png
@SocialBookWorm This was a lot of fun to do. I'll definitely come back tomorrow or on Sunday to continue with the others! And if you change your mind and just want them PM'd to you, do let me know. ^^ Aw man, Lirim's story is so sad. I want to hug him. ;___; Again, I really like the recurring theme of familiars that are significant to lore. The image of Lirim riding his Creeper away from his original clan sort of reminds me of the Iron Giant. It gives me the same teary-eyed expression, too. (I'm guessing most familiars are small, but I just couldn't help imagining Lirim making a huge robot and using it as a getaway vehicle instead of a weapon. Poor guy.) Your dragon's gijinka are also really cute. Did you draw them yourself? They remind me of VN sprites. :D Lirim's lore had only few corrections. I mostly found myself adding commas to separate clauses and make the longer sentences less confusing. XD [quote][size=5]Lirim[/size] came from a clan that divided itself into two parts and tore itself apart. It had started small, an argument about the correct way to do an experiment. When both versions of the experiment exploded, and several clan members [b]were[/b] killed, the argument turned into a silent war. The clan members drew a line down the middle of the lair, with only a few in the middle. Lirim was one of the few who didn't agree with either side, just wanting everything to go back to the way it was originally. He spent time with his best friend, the only dragon who was willing to put up with Lirim's easily distracted intelligence. The two of them would hole up [b]in[/b] the library, one of the few neutral spots[b],[/b] and read all day, side by side, Lirim jumping from book to book as they caught and lost his interest. As both sides realized that they needed more members to triumph over the other, they each started to send people to talk to Lirim and his friend. At first, Lirim was excited[b];[/b] maybe things were finally going back to the way they had been originally, and he could go back to crafting in his lab and tinkering with the machines from [b]the Golem*[/b] Workshop. His friend, however, caught on to what the factions were planning, and started to drive the other dragons away. Lirim, unaware of why he was doing this, felt hurt and grew angry at the other dragon, refusing to have anything to do with him afterwards. Which is when one faction struck. They snatched Lirim while he was alone one day, and forced him to make them armor and weapons so they could kill the other faction in revenge [b]for[/b] the experiment going wrong. When Lirim refused, they tortured him. And there he suffered, until he managed to build a weapon for himself, a replication of a Creeper[b],[/b] and escape. On the run, already haunted by what he had gone through, Lirim found the body of his best friend discarded just outside the lair, killed for not picking a side. Broken, the spiral took his homemade familiar and flew as far as he possibly could, collapsing in front of Feronia's clan. Adopted by the small, young clan, Lirim had the chance to try and heal from his trials, struggling to learn if it was possible for him to trust and care again after all that had happened. He was never careful enough with his experiments and tinkering after that, injuring himself multiple times[b],[/b] to the anger of Feronia and his familiar. But Feronia caught his attention and love, never taking crap from him, or listening to any of his snark and sass. So there was never any doubt that he would fall in love with her. The Zodiac ignited a monster that he thought he had buried, as he erupted in anger at what they had done, and left the next morning to find the culprits. Feronia leaving with him only made him love her more. He didn't mind the other dragons joining their cause, but he could never bring himself to trust anyone other than Feronia for all that he cared about them with all his heart. Which is why he wasn't surprised when ShadedSky started to talk of a traitor, but he couldn't bring himself to say anything about it when the drifting of the Dreamcatchers started to remind him of his old clan. He didn't want an encore.[/quote] * This is a tentative correction. The venue is called "Golem Workshop" in the Coli, but maybe you want to use "Golem's Workshop", which is also fine. =) ----- Feronia's lore was really sweet, too. It does have its sad points, but not as many as Lirim's does, I think. And I like how the ending invites you to visit the other dragons and see what they think of the clan's current situation. [quote][size=5]Feronia[/size] grew up in a small clan. They weren't important or well known, but they were close, and to them that was all that mattered. They lived off the land and supported each other, and that friendly welcoming air was what Feronia grew up with. She grew up, learning that [b]every one[/b] of her actions mattered, that what she did had consequences that she may not have predicted originally. So she made the point of making sure that she affected things positively. The spiral put her excess energy to use, trying to help out where she could, and directing things when she couldn't. It wasn't long until she was the [b]de facto[/b] leader of the small clan, and was in charge of making things run smoothly, rather than actually doing the acts. She didn't mind the new responsibility[b]; she[/b] flourished in it actually. It was in this new position that she met Lirim, the bright orange, energetic, and fantastically smart spiral. The only reason the easily distracted spiral was allowed to stay was because Feronia was able to rebalance the way the clan worked so that it could support him, and even thrive with him in it. She could not in good [b]conscience[/b] turn the male away. She assigned herself to watch over the new member, making sure that his various experiments didn't hurt any of the members of the clan, Lirim included. It was, tragically, one of these experiments gone wrong that rendered her [b]nearly[/b] unable to lay eggs. But it was also the accident that finally managed to get the two spirals to confess their feelings for each other, the two of them inseparable afterwards. Then the miracle of the two of them having a egg, of maybe starting a family. A miracle that shattered when the Zodiac slipped up while stealing from the lair, breaking the small, newly laid egg. Enraged, Feronia left [b]alongside[/b] her mate to track down those that had done it. While angry, she felt that the Zodiac needed to be stopped. They were causing problems, not only tragic ones, but [b]also[/b] sending clans into starvation from lack of treasure, or upsetting alliances because deals could not be met. So she went to make sure her mate kept his head [b]out of[/b] the [b]clouds[/b], and away from the anger and demons that would consume him. She went to make sure that the small group they eventually formed stayed organized, prepared, and most of all on target. She trusted easily, despite the hardship that she went through, willing to open the doors of the new lair to any who wished to help support their cause, knowing that they would need more guards if they were to expand to hold more than just the Zodiac. But she wasn't prepared for how much ShadedSky's accusations hurt. The very thought of there being a traitor, in the group that she had come to love as a family, was one that she rejected with her very being. Her first clan had been close knit, and her second one even more so. Why would anyone ever turn their back on that?[/quote]
@SocialBookWorm This was a lot of fun to do. I'll definitely come back tomorrow or on Sunday to continue with the others! And if you change your mind and just want them PM'd to you, do let me know. ^^

Aw man, Lirim's story is so sad. I want to hug him. ;___; Again, I really like the recurring theme of familiars that are significant to lore. The image of Lirim riding his Creeper away from his original clan sort of reminds me of the Iron Giant. It gives me the same teary-eyed expression, too. (I'm guessing most familiars are small, but I just couldn't help imagining Lirim making a huge robot and using it as a getaway vehicle instead of a weapon. Poor guy.)

Your dragon's gijinka are also really cute. Did you draw them yourself? They remind me of VN sprites. :D

Lirim's lore had only few corrections. I mostly found myself adding commas to separate clauses and make the longer sentences less confusing. XD
Quote:
Lirim came from a clan that divided itself into two parts and tore itself apart. It had started small, an argument about the correct way to do an experiment. When both versions of the experiment exploded, and several clan members were killed, the argument turned into a silent war. The clan members drew a line down the middle of the lair, with only a few in the middle. Lirim was one of the few who didn't agree with either side, just wanting everything to go back to the way it was originally.

He spent time with his best friend, the only dragon who was willing to put up with Lirim's easily distracted intelligence. The two of them would hole up in the library, one of the few neutral spots, and read all day, side by side, Lirim jumping from book to book as they caught and lost his interest.

As both sides realized that they needed more members to triumph over the other, they each started to send people to talk to Lirim and his friend. At first, Lirim was excited; maybe things were finally going back to the way they had been originally, and he could go back to crafting in his lab and tinkering with the machines from the Golem* Workshop.

His friend, however, caught on to what the factions were planning, and started to drive the other dragons away. Lirim, unaware of why he was doing this, felt hurt and grew angry at the other dragon, refusing to have anything to do with him afterwards. Which is when one faction struck.

They snatched Lirim while he was alone one day, and forced him to make them armor and weapons so they could kill the other faction in revenge for the experiment going wrong. When Lirim refused, they tortured him. And there he suffered, until he managed to build a weapon for himself, a replication of a Creeper, and escape.

On the run, already haunted by what he had gone through, Lirim found the body of his best friend discarded just outside the lair, killed for not picking a side. Broken, the spiral took his homemade familiar and flew as far as he possibly could, collapsing in front of Feronia's clan.

Adopted by the small, young clan, Lirim had the chance to try and heal from his trials, struggling to learn if it was possible for him to trust and care again after all that had happened. He was never careful enough with his experiments and tinkering after that, injuring himself multiple times, to the anger of Feronia and his familiar.

But Feronia caught his attention and love, never taking crap from him, or listening to any of his snark and sass. So there was never any doubt that he would fall in love with her.

The Zodiac ignited a monster that he thought he had buried, as he erupted in anger at what they had done, and left the next morning to find the culprits. Feronia leaving with him only made him love her more.

He didn't mind the other dragons joining their cause, but he could never bring himself to trust anyone other than Feronia for all that he cared about them with all his heart. Which is why he wasn't surprised when ShadedSky started to talk of a traitor, but he couldn't bring himself to say anything about it when the drifting of the Dreamcatchers started to remind him of his old clan. He didn't want an encore.

* This is a tentative correction. The venue is called "Golem Workshop" in the Coli, but maybe you want to use "Golem's Workshop", which is also fine. =)

Feronia's lore was really sweet, too. It does have its sad points, but not as many as Lirim's does, I think. And I like how the ending invites you to visit the other dragons and see what they think of the clan's current situation.
Quote:
Feronia grew up in a small clan. They weren't important or well known, but they were close, and to them that was all that mattered. They lived off the land and supported each other, and that friendly welcoming air was what Feronia grew up with. She grew up, learning that every one of her actions mattered, that what she did had consequences that she may not have predicted originally.

So she made the point of making sure that she affected things positively. The spiral put her excess energy to use, trying to help out where she could, and directing things when she couldn't. It wasn't long until she was the de facto leader of the small clan, and was in charge of making things run smoothly, rather than actually doing the acts. She didn't mind the new responsibility; she flourished in it actually.

It was in this new position that she met Lirim, the bright orange, energetic, and fantastically smart spiral. The only reason the easily distracted spiral was allowed to stay was because Feronia was able to rebalance the way the clan worked so that it could support him, and even thrive with him in it. She could not in good conscience turn the male away.

She assigned herself to watch over the new member, making sure that his various experiments didn't hurt any of the members of the clan, Lirim included. It was, tragically, one of these experiments gone wrong that rendered her nearly unable to lay eggs. But it was also the accident that finally managed to get the two spirals to confess their feelings for each other, the two of them inseparable afterwards.

Then the miracle of the two of them having a egg, of maybe starting a family. A miracle that shattered when the Zodiac slipped up while stealing from the lair, breaking the small, newly laid egg.

Enraged, Feronia left alongside her mate to track down those that had done it. While angry, she felt that the Zodiac needed to be stopped. They were causing problems, not only tragic ones, but also sending clans into starvation from lack of treasure, or upsetting alliances because deals could not be met.

So she went to make sure her mate kept his head out of the clouds, and away from the anger and demons that would consume him. She went to make sure that the small group they eventually formed stayed organized, prepared, and most of all on target.

She trusted easily, despite the hardship that she went through, willing to open the doors of the new lair to any who wished to help support their cause, knowing that they would need more guards if they were to expand to hold more than just the Zodiac.

But she wasn't prepared for how much ShadedSky's accusations hurt. The very thought of there being a traitor, in the group that she had come to love as a family, was one that she rejected with her very being. Her first clan had been close knit, and her second one even more so. Why would anyone ever turn their back on that?
@SocialBookWorm Whoo! I finished everybody in your lair. It did take a while, but I really had a lot of fun reading your lore. I like how (spoilers for anyone who might want to try reading your lore) [spoiler]the Dreamcatchers are initially represented as vigilantes of just and righteous rage. And then by the time you reach Cloudrunner's bio, you start to wonder whom to really sympathize with....[/spoiler] And them running your lore shop -- "Fund our escape!" The flavor text is a bit grim, but the thread title really made me laugh. I can actually see it linking with the rest of your lore -- like they picked up Isra's clan's texts and studied them, used them as inspiration or to develop their writing styles. And of course, visitors or new additions to the prison bring lots of new stories.... Anyway, here are the proofreading jobs you ordered! Once again, this is PWYW, [b]so even if you decide you don't want to pay me anything, it's perfectly fine.[/b] I hope my service has been of good use to you nonetheless. I certainly enjoyed reading your stories and would be pleased to read any more you've got, proofreading or none. ^_^ [quote][size=5]Najya[/size] had been considered weird for a Spiral ever since she was young. She never had the huge amounts of energy that the others of her kind did, preferring to spend her time curled up on the ground working through her problems and drawing than racing through the sky. That, combined with her unnervingly blank facade, was enough to set the rest of her original clan on edge, constantly wary of the strange Spiral. She was even once offered a chance to change her breed, something that would match her grace and calm demeanor better. She had refused. She had no reason to feel wrong in the body that she resided in; just because she was different didn't mean that she was wrong. Her refusal made the wary and wondering stares grow, until it wasn't just stares anymore. Soon it was whispers about her unnaturalness, which quickly grew into outright hostility. Najya would have left, but the clan would have struggled without her to balance how much treasure they spent, and she didn't have anywhere else to go. She was not one made for travel despite being from the Windsinger's fold, and she did not wish to try. Which was why, when the Zodiac burned her clan home to the ground and stole a great deal of treasure from it, she jumped at the chance to join with the two Spirals who were already looking for those responsible. She felt responsible for the destruction of her clan home and the loss of the treasure, so not only would it let her make up for that, but it would get her away from her tormentors. She got along famously with Feronia, Najya's calm demeanor mixing well with the pale Spiral's need to get things done. It was between the two of them that their ragtag group of dragons became a team. They became a family. Najya couldn't lose that, would not lose that, despite the small voice in the back of her head, the one that had kept her alive so far. She ignored its whispering about how ShadedSky was probably right, that there was a traitor. Because if that were true, she would lose all that she had worked towards, all that her mate had worked towards. But even then she couldn't quite ignore it completely, and started to isolate herself from others as she tried to work it through her head. [/quote] [quote][size=5]Layne[/size] Out of all the Dreamcatchers, he was the only one who wasn't there for revenge or hatred or anger. He had always listened to his father's teachings, learning that fighting and violence wasn't the answer. He joined the Dreamcathers out of love. When Najya had flown past, taking a moment to talk to him before she had continued onward to meet her fellows, he had known that the strangely calm spiral was the one for him. He struck out on his own, following after her, even though he didn't believe in the cause that the Dreamcatchers were so focused on, but he did agree that the Zodiac needed to be stopped. When the fight came around, he tried to stay away, but Cancer seemed to hone in on his unwillingness to fight. Najya had let out a furious roar when she had seen him go down. Despite that, he was still the first one to agree with not killing the Zodiac. This gentle dragon often spends his time near the cells, talking to the prisoners, trying to find out why they have become the danger they are, and trying to help them change their ways.[/quote] [quote][size=5]Dawn[/size] was trained from a young age to fight, to hunt, to steal, to gather, to do anything that the small shadow clan thought could be useful. Not to them, but to the clan that they would sell her to in order to strengthen their shaky alliance. It was something that was drilled into her head from her hatching, that she would belong to a different clan and follow their orders to the letter. They told her that she had no name because whoever owned her would be the one to name her. Throughout the years as she grew, it was discovered that she was talented at learning stealth and assassination, so that was what her clan turned their focus to as they honed her already-impressive skills to razor-sharp points as the day of her auction approached. By the time she was sold, Dawn was little more than a weapon that only needed to be pointed in a direction to be unleashed. But deep in the recesses of her mind, something in her screamed that this was wrong, so slowly she dug at that part of her. Time passed as she was sent out on assassination after assassination, and slowly, without letting her clan know, she grew and fostered herself, learning to think for herself through sheer willpower. It was this dragon that the beginning Dreamcatchers ran into when they chased the Zodiacs through the Tangled Wood. They talked to the leader of her clan about stopping the criminals, while the rest of the clan (criminals themselves) laughed and snickered to themselves from the shadows. Dawn watched from the shadows silently, away from the rest of the dragons that owned her, and something within her yearned to be with them. To be doing good in the world, instead of adding to its problems. It was Layne, with his kind and gentle words, who convinced her it would be possible, and she stole away in the night to join the little band of four. The more that she traveled with them, the more she saw that the Zodiac needed to be stopped, and she strove towards that with a single-minded focus. She didn't plan on falling in love with ShadedSky. Dawn took on her new name, leaving behind her old life, and finally shed the mask that she had worn for so long. The Dreamcatchers learned that the ex-assassin was a dry-witted dragon who preferred to let her silence and her actions speak for her. Her free time was spent either keeping her skills sharp, or enjoying her freedom of choice by flying in the air. If something was important to her, she approached it with a single-minded focus, and once her trust had been earned, it was not easily swayed. It was this facet of her personality that kept her glued to ShadedSky's side even as he descended into anger and darkness. She trusted her mate with every fiber of her being. If he said there was a traitor among them, then there was a traitor among them that needed to be weeded out. Through death if necessary. And Dawn was very good at death.[/quote] [quote][size=5]ShadedSky[/size] adored his mother, and was ever the dutiful son. He always listened to her, following her every instruction, and flourishing under someone directing his every move. He wanted nothing more from his life, enjoying the peaceful clan that he lived in. Then the Zodiacs came by. It wasn't a huge deal: the Faes only took a few small baubles, but they also took one of his mother's familiars, one of the extra ones, probably thinking that they wouldn't notice. Enraged on his mother's behalf, ShadedSky chased after them, joining the Dreamcatchers in their chase. On the way he found the dead body of the familiar, just lying on the ground, torn to pieces. The Zodiacs had taken it to slake one of their more bloodthirsty members' thirst. From that point on, he took special interest in the bloodthirsty dragon, Cancer, wanting to make him pay for his wrongs. When the Dreamcatchers caught the Zodiac, he was one of those who fought the hardest to kill them. He took guarding them very seriously, suspecting that one of their new guards was helping the Faes slip out. When he was not raging over the Zodiac, he was a serious, quiet dragon, prefering to do his work as quickly and efficiently as possible. When it wasn't his shift on guard, he spent most of his time training with his mate Dawn, keeping both of their skills sharp, or in quiet conversation with her. He worried about what his mother would think of what he had become, and put off visiting for as long as he could. This became his biggest regret when he learned that she had left to serve the Windsinger. He didn't know why she had done it, but has long since lost contact with his old clan and may never find out. His frustration over this showed in the way he treated the Faes in their facility after he learned of her choice. While before he would take time off, now he spends all of his time trying to find out who might be letting the prisoners slip out. He wasn't that close with the other Dreamcatchers despite being one of the original seven, though he used to get along with Najya and Isra. After he started his hunt for the traitor, the others drifted away, hurt and angry that he thought that one of them could betray the others after all they had been through together, after all the time they had spent together. Lately, the only dragon he truly spends time with is Dawn, feeling that she is the only one that he can let his guard down around.[/quote] [quote][size=5]Isra[/size] cannot remember the details of his past, but he knows them all the same. In a small room near the back of the Facility, there is a book that details his journey and his first home. He knows that he traveled long and far to get where he is now, and that there is nothing for him to go back to. But he is not going to let his tundra memories forget it. Isra grew up as part of a clan of wind tundras, a group of bards who loved to tell stories and travel across the Windsinger's land, adding to the stories and songs that they already had. It was custom for the tundras to ask for any new songs that the clan had in exchange for a free show. They slowly increased their stores of knowledge that way, writing the songs and stories down and taking them with them. Slowly, they amassed one of the largest collections in all of Sornieth. It was this collection that an arcane clan craved, even coveted. So the clan of tundras fought for their lives when the strange dragons they had never seen before descended. The tundras fought ferociously, for their very lives, with some of the less violently inclined ushering the younger members away and urging them to fly, to leave, to run for their lives. Isra ran with a tundra even younger than he was and made for the Sunbeam Ruins. It was the only place that he could think of where the two of them would be able to survive alone and where the group of arcane dragons wouldn't think to look. The two of them only had a couple of the manuscripts but he wasn't sure how dedicated the clan was to tracking down all of the manuscripts. The tundra he was with settled down with a light clan, but Isra could never quell the urge to keep traveling. His wanderlust led him all around the Sunbeam Ruins until along the edge he caught a scent that was painfully familiar. He tried to follow it, but he found it hard to keep the scent, and kept losing track of it. Frustrated and angry, he took his anger out on a nearby tree, clawing and tearing at it until his chest was heaving from exhaustion. When he was done, he glanced around and realized that there were faint imprints from where he had stepped, and that if he looked close enough he could see the small amounts of fur that had been shed. He cast his eyes around, and there on the ground he caught sight of a scale with the same scent that he had smelled earlier. With a better idea of what he was doing, and continuing to learn as he went, he tracked the dragon. He learned, when he caught up with them, that it was one of the arcane dragons that had attacked his clan. In his anger, he pounced from the shadows, attacking without warning and easily taking the other dragon down. Searching the dragon's bag, he found one of the manuscripts that had been taken. New goal in mind, Isra started to hunt the arcane dragons that had led to the end of his clan, but on the way the manuscripts that he had gathered until then were taken by the Zodiacs, for Leo to read and learn from. Angered at the faes for taking the treasures that he had worked so hard to obtain, he joined the Dreamcatchers, who were sympathetic and understanding of his memory handicap. There he found a new family, he could tell it by the smell every time he returned to the lair after tracking down another manuscript. He just doesn't know that the smell of contention between everyone else wasn't always this strong, or that it continues to grow while he's away.[/quote]
@SocialBookWorm Whoo! I finished everybody in your lair. It did take a while, but I really had a lot of fun reading your lore.

I like how (spoilers for anyone who might want to try reading your lore) the Dreamcatchers are initially represented as vigilantes of just and righteous rage. And then by the time you reach Cloudrunner's bio, you start to wonder whom to really sympathize with....
And them running your lore shop -- "Fund our escape!" The flavor text is a bit grim, but the thread title really made me laugh.
I can actually see it linking with the rest of your lore -- like they picked up Isra's clan's texts and studied them, used them as inspiration or to develop their writing styles. And of course, visitors or new additions to the prison bring lots of new stories....

Anyway, here are the proofreading jobs you ordered! Once again, this is PWYW, so even if you decide you don't want to pay me anything, it's perfectly fine. I hope my service has been of good use to you nonetheless. I certainly enjoyed reading your stories and would be pleased to read any more you've got, proofreading or none. ^_^
Quote:
Najya had been considered weird for a Spiral ever since she was young. She never had the huge amounts of energy that the others of her kind did, preferring to spend her time curled up on the ground working through her problems and drawing than racing through the sky. That, combined with her unnervingly blank facade, was enough to set the rest of her original clan on edge, constantly wary of the strange Spiral. She was even once offered a chance to change her breed, something that would match her grace and calm demeanor better.

She had refused. She had no reason to feel wrong in the body that she resided in; just because she was different didn't mean that she was wrong. Her refusal made the wary and wondering stares grow, until it wasn't just stares anymore. Soon it was whispers about her unnaturalness, which quickly grew into outright hostility.

Najya would have left, but the clan would have struggled without her to balance how much treasure they spent, and she didn't have anywhere else to go. She was not one made for travel despite being from the Windsinger's fold, and she did not wish to try.

Which was why, when the Zodiac burned her clan home to the ground and stole a great deal of treasure from it, she jumped at the chance to join with the two Spirals who were already looking for those responsible. She felt responsible for the destruction of her clan home and the loss of the treasure, so not only would it let her make up for that, but it would get her away from her tormentors.

She got along famously with Feronia, Najya's calm demeanor mixing well with the pale Spiral's need to get things done. It was between the two of them that their ragtag group of dragons became a team. They became a family.

Najya couldn't lose that, would not lose that, despite the small voice in the back of her head, the one that had kept her alive so far. She ignored its whispering about how ShadedSky was probably right, that there was a traitor. Because if that were true, she would lose all that she had worked towards, all that her mate had worked towards. But even then she couldn't quite ignore it completely, and started to isolate herself from others as she tried to work it through her head.

Quote:
Layne
Out of all the Dreamcatchers, he was the only one who wasn't there for revenge or hatred or anger. He had always listened to his father's teachings, learning that fighting and violence wasn't the answer. He joined the Dreamcathers out of love. When Najya had flown past, taking a moment to talk to him before she had continued onward to meet her fellows, he had known that the strangely calm spiral was the one for him.

He struck out on his own, following after her, even though he didn't believe in the cause that the Dreamcatchers were so focused on, but he did agree that the Zodiac needed to be stopped. When the fight came around, he tried to stay away, but Cancer seemed to hone in on his unwillingness to fight. Najya had let out a furious roar when she had seen him go down.

Despite that, he was still the first one to agree with not killing the Zodiac. This gentle dragon often spends his time near the cells, talking to the prisoners, trying to find out why they have become the danger they are, and trying to help them change their ways.
Quote:
Dawn was trained from a young age to fight, to hunt, to steal, to gather, to do anything that the small shadow clan thought could be useful. Not to them, but to the clan that they would sell her to in order to strengthen their shaky alliance. It was something that was drilled into her head from her hatching, that she would belong to a different clan and follow their orders to the letter. They told her that she had no name because whoever owned her would be the one to name her.

Throughout the years as she grew, it was discovered that she was talented at learning stealth and assassination, so that was what her clan turned their focus to as they honed her already-impressive skills to razor-sharp points as the day of her auction approached.

By the time she was sold, Dawn was little more than a weapon that only needed to be pointed in a direction to be unleashed. But deep in the recesses of her mind, something in her screamed that this was wrong, so slowly she dug at that part of her. Time passed as she was sent out on assassination after assassination, and slowly, without letting her clan know, she grew and fostered herself, learning to think for herself through sheer willpower.

It was this dragon that the beginning Dreamcatchers ran into when they chased the Zodiacs through the Tangled Wood. They talked to the leader of her clan about stopping the criminals, while the rest of the clan (criminals themselves) laughed and snickered to themselves from the shadows. Dawn watched from the shadows silently, away from the rest of the dragons that owned her, and something within her yearned to be with them. To be doing good in the world, instead of adding to its problems.

It was Layne, with his kind and gentle words, who convinced her it would be possible, and she stole away in the night to join the little band of four. The more that she traveled with them, the more she saw that the Zodiac needed to be stopped, and she strove towards that with a single-minded focus.

She didn't plan on falling in love with ShadedSky.

Dawn took on her new name, leaving behind her old life, and finally shed the mask that she had worn for so long. The Dreamcatchers learned that the ex-assassin was a dry-witted dragon who preferred to let her silence and her actions speak for her. Her free time was spent either keeping her skills sharp, or enjoying her freedom of choice by flying in the air. If something was important to her, she approached it with a single-minded focus, and once her trust had been earned, it was not easily swayed.

It was this facet of her personality that kept her glued to ShadedSky's side even as he descended into anger and darkness. She trusted her mate with every fiber of her being. If he said there was a traitor among them, then there was a traitor among them that needed to be weeded out.

Through death if necessary. And Dawn was very good at death.

Quote:
ShadedSky adored his mother, and was ever the dutiful son. He always listened to her, following her every instruction, and flourishing under someone directing his every move. He wanted nothing more from his life, enjoying the peaceful clan that he lived in. Then the Zodiacs came by.

It wasn't a huge deal: the Faes only took a few small baubles, but they also took one of his mother's familiars, one of the extra ones, probably thinking that they wouldn't notice. Enraged on his mother's behalf, ShadedSky chased after them, joining the Dreamcatchers in their chase. On the way he found the dead body of the familiar, just lying on the ground, torn to pieces. The Zodiacs had taken it to slake one of their more bloodthirsty members' thirst.

From that point on, he took special interest in the bloodthirsty dragon, Cancer, wanting to make him pay for his wrongs. When the Dreamcatchers caught the Zodiac, he was one of those who fought the hardest to kill them. He took guarding them very seriously, suspecting that one of their new guards was helping the Faes slip out.

When he was not raging over the Zodiac, he was a serious, quiet dragon, prefering to do his work as quickly and efficiently as possible. When it wasn't his shift on guard, he spent most of his time training with his mate Dawn, keeping both of their skills sharp, or in quiet conversation with her. He worried about what his mother would think of what he had become, and put off visiting for as long as he could.

This became his biggest regret when he learned that she had left to serve the Windsinger. He didn't know why she had done it, but has long since lost contact with his old clan and may never find out. His frustration over this showed in the way he treated the Faes in their facility after he learned of her choice. While before he would take time off, now he spends all of his time trying to find out who might be letting the prisoners slip out.

He wasn't that close with the other Dreamcatchers despite being one of the original seven, though he used to get along with Najya and Isra. After he started his hunt for the traitor, the others drifted away, hurt and angry that he thought that one of them could betray the others after all they had been through together, after all the time they had spent together. Lately, the only dragon he truly spends time with is Dawn, feeling that she is the only one that he can let his guard down around.

Quote:
Isra cannot remember the details of his past, but he knows them all the same. In a small room near the back of the Facility, there is a book that details his journey and his first home. He knows that he traveled long and far to get where he is now, and that there is nothing for him to go back to. But he is not going to let his tundra memories forget it.

Isra grew up as part of a clan of wind tundras, a group of bards who loved to tell stories and travel across the Windsinger's land, adding to the stories and songs that they already had. It was custom for the tundras to ask for any new songs that the clan had in exchange for a free show. They slowly increased their stores of knowledge that way, writing the songs and stories down and taking them with them. Slowly, they amassed one of the largest collections in all of Sornieth.

It was this collection that an arcane clan craved, even coveted. So the clan of tundras fought for their lives when the strange dragons they had never seen before descended. The tundras fought ferociously, for their very lives, with some of the less violently inclined ushering the younger members away and urging them to fly, to leave, to run for their lives.

Isra ran with a tundra even younger than he was and made for the Sunbeam Ruins. It was the only place that he could think of where the two of them would be able to survive alone and where the group of arcane dragons wouldn't think to look. The two of them only had a couple of the manuscripts but he wasn't sure how dedicated the clan was to tracking down all of the manuscripts.

The tundra he was with settled down with a light clan, but Isra could never quell the urge to keep traveling. His wanderlust led him all around the Sunbeam Ruins until along the edge he caught a scent that was painfully familiar. He tried to follow it, but he found it hard to keep the scent, and kept losing track of it. Frustrated and angry, he took his anger out on a nearby tree, clawing and tearing at it until his chest was heaving from exhaustion.

When he was done, he glanced around and realized that there were faint imprints from where he had stepped, and that if he looked close enough he could see the small amounts of fur that had been shed. He cast his eyes around, and there on the ground he caught sight of a scale with the same scent that he had smelled earlier.

With a better idea of what he was doing, and continuing to learn as he went, he tracked the dragon. He learned, when he caught up with them, that it was one of the arcane dragons that had attacked his clan. In his anger, he pounced from the shadows, attacking without warning and easily taking the other dragon down. Searching the dragon's bag, he found one of the manuscripts that had been taken.

New goal in mind, Isra started to hunt the arcane dragons that had led to the end of his clan, but on the way the manuscripts that he had gathered until then were taken by the Zodiacs, for Leo to read and learn from. Angered at the faes for taking the treasures that he had worked so hard to obtain, he joined the Dreamcatchers, who were sympathetic and understanding of his memory handicap.

There he found a new family, he could tell it by the smell every time he returned to the lair after tracking down another manuscript. He just doesn't know that the smell of contention between everyone else wasn't always this strong, or that it continues to grow while he's away.
@SocialBookWorm The way Capricorn's and Virgo's lore is linked to Gemini's is also really interesting! I had a mind-blowing "Whooo!" moment when I read about the falling star. :D [quote][size=5]Saveria[/size] hadn't minded being a tundra, and in fact, the short memory span had never bothered her. It made running her experiments hard, but her optimistic nature simply meant that she thought that if she forgot about one then she got to discover it twice! The place her clanmates were most likely to find her was in a small room in the back, conducting her experiments. She didn't hear much about Baldwin's new discovery and subsequent transformation, wrapped up as she was in research for her next planned experiment. Having been the dragon that others went to for help, she thought nothing of it when her clan asked her to met them by the ex-pearlcatcher's brew. She was one of their top scientists after all, and she expected them to need help with one of the recipes or something. She didn't expect them to dump a prepared cauldron on her, standing back to watch as she twisted and writhed, her body changing and shrinking without her consent. She shrieked as her fur fell out, and her muzzle elongated. Panting from the pain and exertion, Saveria bolted as soon as she could gather herself together. She stumbled over another cauldron during her escape. A friendly-looking yellow glob fell out, the dragon near the cauldron shrieking about how the reaction shouldn't have turned out that way. Sympathising with the creature, Saveria scooped it up and plopped it on her back before taking off at a speed that she had never been able to reach before, the shouts of her now ex-clan fading behind her. Unable to bring herself to interact with other dragons, Saveria wandered the more isolated parts of Sornieth, the Cheerful Residue that she had rescued riding on her back throughout their journeys. It might have well been a gift from the Arcanist himself with the way that it helped her deal with the body dissociation that would hit her frequently, her long neck and thick arms never being something that she expected, especially when she first woke up in the morning. She adjusted slowly, and eventually started to talk to the occasional dragon again, though she stayed away from Starfall Isles and any chance that she might run into her old clan. She bounced from clan to clan, picking up techniques on how to defend herself from every dragon that she talked to. The stronger she grew, the more comfortable she was in interacting with others, even though she could never relax fully in their company. Her feet still walked away from the friends that she made, and she still shook her head at any offers she got to join a new clan. No matter how many dragons she ran into, and no matter how many beast clan members she fought off alone, nothing felt right to her. The whole world was still shifted to the left, but she stubbornly clung to her optimism. If she travelled long enough one day it would get better. She ran into them on the Windswept Plateau. The small group of seven warriors, close friends, but only a few of them having spent a huge amount of time in a normal clan, trying to make things work between them while at the same time keeping watch over the criminal faes. Despite the hardship, they were open to letting her stay, and she helped them settle into the peaceful land, showing them how to build the reed lairs that the area was known for. Time passed and Saveria simply stayed, and before she realized it, she had stayed there for the longest she had anywhere since that night at Baldwin's. Feronia was always welcoming and Lirim was someone she could talk to about science and he would actually throw ideas back at her. Feeling off with how little she wanted to leave, Saveria left, training any clan that she ran into, but she found herself drifting back to the Dreamcatchers after each one.[/quote] [quote][size=5]Isolt[/size] knew who her Charge was from a very young age. She could remember following Muriel around their clan's lair, already larger than the small dragon, and so determined to "protect" the older dragon and thief. Yet despite having already met her Charge, a part of her felt off, her soul tugging at her to go Searching for something away from the fae that she dedicated her life to. She tried her best to ignore it as she wandered through the Sanctuary and the bamboo forest around it. The clanmates that she interacted with cycled as they came and went, adventuring across Sornieth without her. Other hatchlings couldn't wait until they could find their own adventures, but Isolt simply wished for the time that Muriel would stop leaving her behind. The time apart from her Charge left her antsy and restless, even though intellectually she knew that there would be nothing she could do to help as a hatchling. She would work off the extra energy by training to be strong enough to protect Muriel when the time came, or exploring the nearby forest. During one such exploration, she ran into a Cloudkeeper Herald, the impressive bear staring at the grumpy guardian hatchling. Despite knowing that the Heralds had only showed up in large numbers during one of the Mistral Jamborees of days past, she stalked away, upset that she couldn't be around to protect her Charge and try and befriend the bear. It trailed along behind her anyways, and after Isolt relaxed about it following her, it led her to a small clearing where she could see the stars. From that point on, it followed her everywhere, helping to keep her calm whenever Muriel left. When she was finally old enough to join Muriel, her Charge told her of a group of fae thieves that she was thinking about seeking out, held in captivity by other dragons. Isolt left at Muriel's request to make sure that the Facility would be safe for her, and so that the fae's integration into it would be smooth. Isolt left with her Herald, and after finding the Dreamcatchers, she told them that she wished to help guard the fae they held. Isolt wasn't the best of dragons at reading others' intentions, but she soon learned that unlike the thieves and criminals that she had grown up with, the Zodiac were cruel dragons that didn't steal for the benefit of others. She didn't think that she should be the judge of whether or not that could change, so she signaled Muriel that the fae should get caught and spend more time with the Zodiac. While waiting for her Charge to join her at the Facility, Isolt ran into Isra when he returned from one of his travels, and immediately felt something in her soul click into place. She had never met a guardian with two Charges before, but she knew that she was destined to watch over both Isra and Muriel. It was a welcome relief that he was her other Charge, as she had heard his parents talk of their missing child back at the Sanctuary. What confused her more than that was the fact that Isra bore no memory of growing up in their clan, and that the records he held told a completely different story. But he bore the same markings as his mother, so there was no doubt that he was from the bandit portion of their clan. It was Isolt who convinced the other Dreamcatchers that they could open the facility to other fae that needed to be held, and that more guards would eventually be needed. Dawn fascinated her, and Isolt often sparred with the older imperial, and tried as well to talk to the fierce and cold Anaya that soon joined the group as well. ShadedSky's search made her nervous, with the truth of her clan hanging over her wings, but Isolt wasn't the one letting the fae go. It would have been going against what Muriel had planned, and Isolt was nothing if not loyal to her Charge.[/quote] [quote][size=5]Anaya[/size] grew up in a family of mercenaries, one that emphasised loyalty to the group, and dedication to make a profit any way possible above all else. Every member, from hatchling to elder, was taught to fight and honed their skills so that they could be the best in all of Sornieth. They were warriors, but ones who weren't worried about honor, or playing fair. So Anaya learned that to show her true feelings would get her hurt, that feelings were simply something to be exploited in outsiders. That being kind was asking to be exploited. She learned to bare her fangs first and ask questions second. The skydancer was a soldier through and through, one who was loyal to the last. She focused on her magic, learning how to use it offensively, but also how to heal with it, though the emphasis was on combat. She traveled through the icy wastelands of her home, a pilgrimage to strengthen herself. She would travel day and night, knowing that if she stopped to rest too long, a stronger dragon or beastclan would kill her. She traveled until she had learned the truth that her Father the Icewarden was trying to teach his children. To survive, to live, to fight, to be independent of Him. She returned home with this knowledge, and while she was still loyal to the clan of mercenaries, she didn't quite fit in as well anymore, the dependence on each other chafing at the knowledge that she had just learned. She slowly pushed the others away, until she was taking on missions alone. It wasn't until she came back form a mission to find the lair empty, the clan having moved on without her, that she learned just how far she had drifted from the others. It was hard to find work alone, and Anaya struggled to get by, but she lived. Wandering through the Windswept Plateau, Anaya ran into a member of the Dreamcatchers chasing down a fae who had killed a clan leader. She lent a hand, and was offered a place in the lair for her work.[/quote] [quote][size=5]Capricorn[/size] He doesn't remember anything about when he was a hatchling, only that it was warm. His parents are blank spaces in his mind, his first home just an endless black abyss. The first thing he truly remembers is the first cold night alone on the Windswept Plateau. He took to the skies with skills he didn't remember learning. He'll never forget the feeling of the wind under his wings and seeing the world laid out before him for the first time. For just one moment, the chill that had sunk down to his bones was warm. But as fast as it had appeared it was gone, leaving him cold once more. He shot down to earth, interrupting another Fae's attempt at stealing. Capricorn pinned her to the ground, demanding to know how to get that feeling back. Virgo told him that material wealth was the only thing that would keep him truly warm, the only thing that would truly stay. Together, they gathered others, slowly forming the Zodiacs and growing in infamy. All the while he chased after that warmth, gathering more and more items and jewels. It always seemed just out of reach; if he could get one more thing... When the Dreamcatchers caught them, he burned. It wasn't the warmth that he wanted, but he accepted the fire for revenge as a substitute, dyeing his claws red in oath. One day, he would have his revenge. One day, the Dreamcatchers would burn as he had. One day...he would fly free with the family that he had found.[/quote] [quote][size=5]Virgo[/size] She had a true home, once. She had been in love, once. She had a clan that she was loyal to, that she adored. Once. That home was burned to ashes and her lover killed. And she was deliciously satisfied with that, refusing to have anything even connected to them anymore. Virgo was born to a small clan that mostly kept to themselves. They didn't have much but they were content. Virgo was the darling, the one that everyone spoiled rotten, but she always paid them back with hard work. And in particular, there was one male that she had her eye on; they danced around each other for months before becoming a couple. For a short few weeks, everything was beautiful. Then the clan fell on hard times, everyone out more just to have enough food to eat. She came back to the lair late one night, excited about what she had managed to catch that day, to hear whispers. They stopped when they caught sight of her, and she put it out of her mind. The next day, she was snatched while gathering, being dragged away from everything she cared about. Hardened by the horrors she went through with that clan, the only thing that kept her from shattering was the thought of home. Eventually, she broke free, flying home only to find out her capture wasn't chance. Her clan had sold her for treasure, laughing about it behind her back. Her mate was with another woman, laughing about her gullibility. The badly damaged Fae shattered, utilizing everything she had learned to slaughter them all, leaving the lair behind in flames, vowing never to trust or care again. She became a thief, believing that only items could lead to her happiness. It was then she ran into Capricorn, founded the Zodiacs together, and slowly began to find happiness again. For ending that, she will make the Dreamcatchers suffer.[/quote]
@SocialBookWorm The way Capricorn's and Virgo's lore is linked to Gemini's is also really interesting! I had a mind-blowing "Whooo!" moment when I read about the falling star. :D
Quote:
Saveria hadn't minded being a tundra, and in fact, the short memory span had never bothered her. It made running her experiments hard, but her optimistic nature simply meant that she thought that if she forgot about one then she got to discover it twice! The place her clanmates were most likely to find her was in a small room in the back, conducting her experiments.

She didn't hear much about Baldwin's new discovery and subsequent transformation, wrapped up as she was in research for her next planned experiment. Having been the dragon that others went to for help, she thought nothing of it when her clan asked her to met them by the ex-pearlcatcher's brew. She was one of their top scientists after all, and she expected them to need help with one of the recipes or something.

She didn't expect them to dump a prepared cauldron on her, standing back to watch as she twisted and writhed, her body changing and shrinking without her consent. She shrieked as her fur fell out, and her muzzle elongated. Panting from the pain and exertion, Saveria bolted as soon as she could gather herself together.

She stumbled over another cauldron during her escape. A friendly-looking yellow glob fell out, the dragon near the cauldron shrieking about how the reaction shouldn't have turned out that way. Sympathising with the creature, Saveria scooped it up and plopped it on her back before taking off at a speed that she had never been able to reach before, the shouts of her now ex-clan fading behind her.

Unable to bring herself to interact with other dragons, Saveria wandered the more isolated parts of Sornieth, the Cheerful Residue that she had rescued riding on her back throughout their journeys. It might have well been a gift from the Arcanist himself with the way that it helped her deal with the body dissociation that would hit her frequently, her long neck and thick arms never being something that she expected, especially when she first woke up in the morning.

She adjusted slowly, and eventually started to talk to the occasional dragon again, though she stayed away from Starfall Isles and any chance that she might run into her old clan. She bounced from clan to clan, picking up techniques on how to defend herself from every dragon that she talked to. The stronger she grew, the more comfortable she was in interacting with others, even though she could never relax fully in their company.

Her feet still walked away from the friends that she made, and she still shook her head at any offers she got to join a new clan. No matter how many dragons she ran into, and no matter how many beast clan members she fought off alone, nothing felt right to her. The whole world was still shifted to the left, but she stubbornly clung to her optimism. If she travelled long enough one day it would get better.

She ran into them on the Windswept Plateau. The small group of seven warriors, close friends, but only a few of them having spent a huge amount of time in a normal clan, trying to make things work between them while at the same time keeping watch over the criminal faes. Despite the hardship, they were open to letting her stay, and she helped them settle into the peaceful land, showing them how to build the reed lairs that the area was known for.

Time passed and Saveria simply stayed, and before she realized it, she had stayed there for the longest she had anywhere since that night at Baldwin's. Feronia was always welcoming and Lirim was someone she could talk to about science and he would actually throw ideas back at her. Feeling off with how little she wanted to leave, Saveria left, training any clan that she ran into, but she found herself drifting back to the Dreamcatchers after each one.

Quote:
Isolt knew who her Charge was from a very young age. She could remember following Muriel around their clan's lair, already larger than the small dragon, and so determined to "protect" the older dragon and thief. Yet despite having already met her Charge, a part of her felt off, her soul tugging at her to go Searching for something away from the fae that she dedicated her life to.

She tried her best to ignore it as she wandered through the Sanctuary and the bamboo forest around it. The clanmates that she interacted with cycled as they came and went, adventuring across Sornieth without her. Other hatchlings couldn't wait until they could find their own adventures, but Isolt simply wished for the time that Muriel would stop leaving her behind.

The time apart from her Charge left her antsy and restless, even though intellectually she knew that there would be nothing she could do to help as a hatchling. She would work off the extra energy by training to be strong enough to protect Muriel when the time came, or exploring the nearby forest.

During one such exploration, she ran into a Cloudkeeper Herald, the impressive bear staring at the grumpy guardian hatchling. Despite knowing that the Heralds had only showed up in large numbers during one of the Mistral Jamborees of days past, she stalked away, upset that she couldn't be around to protect her Charge and try and befriend the bear. It trailed along behind her anyways, and after Isolt relaxed about it following her, it led her to a small clearing where she could see the stars. From that point on, it followed her everywhere, helping to keep her calm whenever Muriel left.

When she was finally old enough to join Muriel, her Charge told her of a group of fae thieves that she was thinking about seeking out, held in captivity by other dragons. Isolt left at Muriel's request to make sure that the Facility would be safe for her, and so that the fae's integration into it would be smooth.

Isolt left with her Herald, and after finding the Dreamcatchers, she told them that she wished to help guard the fae they held. Isolt wasn't the best of dragons at reading others' intentions, but she soon learned that unlike the thieves and criminals that she had grown up with, the Zodiac were cruel dragons that didn't steal for the benefit of others. She didn't think that she should be the judge of whether or not that could change, so she signaled Muriel that the fae should get caught and spend more time with the Zodiac.

While waiting for her Charge to join her at the Facility, Isolt ran into Isra when he returned from one of his travels, and immediately felt something in her soul click into place. She had never met a guardian with two Charges before, but she knew that she was destined to watch over both Isra and Muriel. It was a welcome relief that he was her other Charge, as she had heard his parents talk of their missing child back at the Sanctuary.

What confused her more than that was the fact that Isra bore no memory of growing up in their clan, and that the records he held told a completely different story. But he bore the same markings as his mother, so there was no doubt that he was from the bandit portion of their clan.

It was Isolt who convinced the other Dreamcatchers that they could open the facility to other fae that needed to be held, and that more guards would eventually be needed. Dawn fascinated her, and Isolt often sparred with the older imperial, and tried as well to talk to the fierce and cold Anaya that soon joined the group as well. ShadedSky's search made her nervous, with the truth of her clan hanging over her wings, but Isolt wasn't the one letting the fae go. It would have been going against what Muriel had planned, and Isolt was nothing if not loyal to her Charge.

Quote:
Anaya grew up in a family of mercenaries, one that emphasised loyalty to the group, and dedication to make a profit any way possible above all else. Every member, from hatchling to elder, was taught to fight and honed their skills so that they could be the best in all of Sornieth. They were warriors, but ones who weren't worried about honor, or playing fair.

So Anaya learned that to show her true feelings would get her hurt, that feelings were simply something to be exploited in outsiders. That being kind was asking to be exploited. She learned to bare her fangs first and ask questions second. The skydancer was a soldier through and through, one who was loyal to the last.

She focused on her magic, learning how to use it offensively, but also how to heal with it, though the emphasis was on combat. She traveled through the icy wastelands of her home, a pilgrimage to strengthen herself. She would travel day and night, knowing that if she stopped to rest too long, a stronger dragon or beastclan would kill her. She traveled until she had learned the truth that her Father the Icewarden was trying to teach his children. To survive, to live, to fight, to be independent of Him.

She returned home with this knowledge, and while she was still loyal to the clan of mercenaries, she didn't quite fit in as well anymore, the dependence on each other chafing at the knowledge that she had just learned. She slowly pushed the others away, until she was taking on missions alone.

It wasn't until she came back form a mission to find the lair empty, the clan having moved on without her, that she learned just how far she had drifted from the others. It was hard to find work alone, and Anaya struggled to get by, but she lived.

Wandering through the Windswept Plateau, Anaya ran into a member of the Dreamcatchers chasing down a fae who had killed a clan leader. She lent a hand, and was offered a place in the lair for her work.

Quote:
Capricorn
He doesn't remember anything about when he was a hatchling, only that it was warm. His parents are blank spaces in his mind, his first home just an endless black abyss. The first thing he truly remembers is the first cold night alone on the Windswept Plateau.

He took to the skies with skills he didn't remember learning. He'll never forget the feeling of the wind under his wings and seeing the world laid out before him for the first time. For just one moment, the chill that had sunk down to his bones was warm. But as fast as it had appeared it was gone, leaving him cold once more.

He shot down to earth, interrupting another Fae's attempt at stealing. Capricorn pinned her to the ground, demanding to know how to get that feeling back. Virgo told him that material wealth was the only thing that would keep him truly warm, the only thing that would truly stay.

Together, they gathered others, slowly forming the Zodiacs and growing in infamy. All the while he chased after that warmth, gathering more and more items and jewels. It always seemed just out of reach; if he could get one more thing...

When the Dreamcatchers caught them, he burned. It wasn't the warmth that he wanted, but he accepted the fire for revenge as a substitute, dyeing his claws red in oath. One day, he would have his revenge. One day, the Dreamcatchers would burn as he had. One day...he would fly free with the family that he had found.

Quote:
Virgo
She had a true home, once. She had been in love, once. She had a clan that she was loyal to, that she adored. Once. That home was burned to ashes and her lover killed. And she was deliciously satisfied with that, refusing to have anything even connected to them anymore.

Virgo was born to a small clan that mostly kept to themselves. They didn't have much but they were content. Virgo was the darling, the one that everyone spoiled rotten, but she always paid them back with hard work. And in particular, there was one male that she had her eye on; they danced around each other for months before becoming a couple.

For a short few weeks, everything was beautiful.

Then the clan fell on hard times, everyone out more just to have enough food to eat. She came back to the lair late one night, excited about what she had managed to catch that day, to hear whispers. They stopped when they caught sight of her, and she put it out of her mind.

The next day, she was snatched while gathering, being dragged away from everything she cared about. Hardened by the horrors she went through with that clan, the only thing that kept her from shattering was the thought of home. Eventually, she broke free, flying home only to find out her capture wasn't chance.

Her clan had sold her for treasure, laughing about it behind her back. Her mate was with another woman, laughing about her gullibility. The badly damaged Fae shattered, utilizing everything she had learned to slaughter them all, leaving the lair behind in flames, vowing never to trust or care again.

She became a thief, believing that only items could lead to her happiness. It was then she ran into Capricorn, founded the Zodiacs together, and slowly began to find happiness again. For ending that, she will make the Dreamcatchers suffer.
[quote][size=5]Gemini[/size] Wasat loved his twin Alhena. They did everything together. Their clan joked that the two of them were hatched from the same egg, and the twins simply grinned at everyone. They were well known for running around just outside the lair, playing hide and seek. The Scarred Wasteland wasn't the safest place to grown up, but Wasat and Alhena loved their home. One day, while the two of them were running around playing with their father, the three of them wandered too far from the lair. Caught up in their game, the trio didn't notice the dragon creeping up on them. The coatl had been kicked out of its clan for its coloring and had gone insane from the isolation, attacking anything alive in its paranoia that everything was out to get it. The twins' father laughed, and then stiffened when he caught wind of the dragon stalking them, and he tried to usher the young dragons back towards the lair. The coatl struck then, clawing at their father, and the fae fought back, trying to lead it away from his children. Wasat and Alhena bolted, simply flying away in their terror but not in the direction of their lair. Their wings flapped frantically, but it wasn't long before they could hear the coatl pursuing them. They had glanced at each other and dived in different directions, hoping that the coatl would follow one so the other twin could double back and attack it from behind. The coatl followed Alhena and Wasat barreled after both of them. But the coatl was faster than he was, and Wasat finally barreled into the coatl's back after it had already reached his twin. The fight was brief and brutal, with Wasat standing over the dead body, and his sister slowly bleeding out next to him. Alhena smiled at him while he frantically tried to stop the bleeding, lying about how she was going to be fine. She laughed weakly at him, and told him that he'd find a new family eventually. As she faded out, she wished silently on a falling star for her words to be true. The star fell to earth, and took a new form, one that could gather dragons that would be like a family. This dragon ran into another fae and the two of them traveled together until they met Wasat, who had changed his name to Gemini to distance himself from the tragedy of his twin's death. But that was years away, years in which Gemini wandered, and lost himself and his words, speaking only when necessary. Virgo became the brightest spot in his life after they met, his respect for her urging him to keep his distance no matter how much he loved her. That changed when it became clear that she dropped her guard around him, and it's for her that a section of his anger at the Dreamcatchers comes from. He hates them for taking away the happiness that he had finally rediscovered.[/quote] [quote][i]You just have to slow down on some days, man.[/i] [size=5]Scorpio[/size] grew up in a large clan; in fact his childhood was almost idyllic. His parents loved him and he spent most of his time napping in various places around the lair. He would find small nooks and crannies, jam his small body into them, and fall asleep where no one would bother him. Because of this, he did almost no work around the lair or to help the clan. There were grumbles about this, but Scorpio ignored them, staying in his hiding places and studying his clanmates. They would often pass by his napping spots multiple times whenever they searched for him, and he would wonder what the huge deal was about. He would help out whenever he felt like it, and enjoy what he did want to do. His lackadaisical approach to living frustrated others, who encouraged him to work harder. By that point however, he had overheard several conversations from each of his clanmates and had stockpiled blackmail material on all of them. He was content not to use them as long as he was allowed to do what he wanted. Most of the time it was lazing about, or studying the stars at night. His parents were torn about how to deal with Scorpio, wanting him to be happy but feeling the need for him to work for it like everyone else. No longer feeling welcome in his childhood home, Scorpio started to wander. His parents sent him off with a stack of food to eat and a smoky bantam fangar to watch out for him. He traveled from the green nature-rich forest and headed south. Scorpio was better than fine for a while, no longer having to deal with others, and bonded with his new familiar, the two of them enjoying the chance to simply enjoy life. However, they eventually ran out of food, and Scorpio wasn't willing to put in the effort to learn how to get more. Instead, he found a spot near another clan's lair, and settled down to wait. He spent days simply watching the clan and their patterns, endlessly patient in his observations. His Fangar brought what little food it could scrounge up and once he was confident enough, Scorpio simply walked into the lair, weaving around the dragons that he had memorized the patterns and habits of. He swiped some food and treasure before strolling out. That was how he survived, stealing off of others, and traveling south towards the Windswept Plateau. It was during that time that he ran into a trio of faes that were planning heists together. He had blinked at the defensive dragons and casually pointed out a point where they had gotten the security of their lair wrong. From that point on he tagged along with them, enjoying the easy way of life and the least stressful work he had ever done. He doesn't care that he's been locked up in the Taijitu Facility, but his anger smolders for the people that he has come to care about. His eyes are piercing as he studies the Dreamcatchers for weaknesses and waits for the perfect moment to do the most amount of damage for the least amount of work.[/quote] * The original text was: [i]You just have to slow do some days man.[/i] I wasn't sure how exactly this should be read, so I went with a version that I felt sounded as lazy as Scorpio himself. XD [quote][i]Flames have such pretty colors, don't they?[/i] [size=5]Taurus[/size] scared her parents from a young age; it was impossible to keep her from the flames that were lit for light in the lair. She could stare at the flickering lights and deepening shadows for hours, unnerving even the most stone-cold dragon. It was a huge contrast to the normal way the young fae acted: loud, energetic, and as impulsive as the flames she was obsessed with. And she wasn't the only one in the clan obsessed with someone; her older cousin insisted on following her around everywhere.[/quote] [quote][size=5]Libra[/size] had been born to be a thief, and it was that fact that made her clan hate her. The peaceful wind clan didn't know how to handle the small fae that flitted around the lair, taking things without realizing that she was doing so. They went to an arcane dragon in search of an answer and what they got was a label and nothing more. Kleptomaniac. The young fae couldn't help but take what wasn't hers, and the situation was only made worse by her annoyingly cheerful attitude in the face of everything. She was loud as could be, seemingly born without a volume control, and still the clan could not prevent her from stealing the stuff lying around the lair. And as the years went by, their frustration grew. Reaching the end of their ropes, the clan tried to distract the fae by teaching her fighting techniques, hoping that if Libra's hands were occupied she would eventually break the "habit" that she had. And it did help, for a little while, until she started to take once more. Exploding in anger when they caught her stealing from them, one clan member screamed that the fae had better learn something useful or they would kick her out of the clan themselves. Libra had shrunk in on herself, dropping the item in her hand -- a useless unused piece of apparel -- and fled the scene, horrified that they thought so little of her. She struggled with the idea that someone who had watched her grow up, had watched her struggle with the problem as best she could, would hate her so much. In a desperate attempt to stop the rash of thefts, the clan locked her up in an isolated corner of the lair and left her there alone, except to drop off food so that she wouldn't starve. As time went by, and Libra slowly went mad from the isolation, the clan started to repeat the same thing over and over again. Make herself useful and no longer a burden, and she would be set free. She took the message and absorbed it, but not in the way the clan wanted her to, and instead in her half-mad state, took it to mean that she had to prove her stealing's worth. So she plotted carefully, and broke out, taking to the sky, determined to prove that her kleptomania could be useful, that she could do something other than be a burden. And that was when the Zodiac found her, taking her into the fold gratefully, impressed with her ability to pickpocket and steal without thought. The longer that the broken fae spent with them, the less that she wanted to return to her old clan, her broken pieces fitting back together into a jagged puzzle with sharp ends. Her previous isolation was probably what made her snap when she was thrown into the Taijitu Facility.[/quote] [quote][size=5]Sagittarius[/size] had been hatched for one reason. To be sold. His parents had been short on money and had laid a nest in order to sell the hatchlings for money. Sagittarius was bought only days after his hatching and, as soon as he was large enough, set on manual labor for the clan that had purchased him. He started out cooking and cleaning and did those well enough that he was permanently assigned to those. He would have enjoyed them, if it were not for the negative treatment from the clan that owned him. No matter how hard he worked, he would be told that it wasn't good enough. He was ridiculed and mocked, pushed around and jeered at. There were times he felt like their stress ball as well as their slave. Years of this treatment left Sagittarius a stuttering, nervous wreck, flinching any time someone approached him. His only solace was in the cooking that he loved, but even that had the chance to be invaded at any point in time. Nowhere in the lair was he safe. Then one day, while he was cleaning parts of the hoard, another fae, one that he didn't recognize, snuck into it. The pale fae had grinned at him, and tried to talk to Sagittarius even as he stole from the clan that owned Sagittarius. Sagittarius tried to stop him even though his voice was a quiet stuttering mess. Aries told him to smile more before disappearing into the night. Blamed for the missing items, Sagittarius was left alone to deal with his injuries himself. He sat just outside the lair, the farthest he was allowed to go, and struggled to treat the cuts and bruises. As the sun set, Aries came bounding back, and the grin on the other fae's face fell when he caught sight of Sagittarius. Sagi was whisked away by the cheerful thief, who had argued for him to be allowed to join the Zodiacs. Sagittarius still did most of the grunt work of cleaning and cooking for the Zodiac, but it was because he wanted to this time. He adored Aries for taking him away from his clan and followed him around every chance he got. He wasn't sure what to do when they got caught, feeling guilty about how little he could do to help prevent that. He had known that the Zodiac weren't the best dragons around, but he felt like he owed them his life. For that reason, no matter how little he hates the rest of the world, Sagittarius stands next to the dragons that became his family, as right or wrong as they are.[/quote]
Quote:
Gemini
Wasat loved his twin Alhena. They did everything together. Their clan joked that the two of them were hatched from the same egg, and the twins simply grinned at everyone. They were well known for running around just outside the lair, playing hide and seek. The Scarred Wasteland wasn't the safest place to grown up, but Wasat and Alhena loved their home.

One day, while the two of them were running around playing with their father, the three of them wandered too far from the lair. Caught up in their game, the trio didn't notice the dragon creeping up on them. The coatl had been kicked out of its clan for its coloring and had gone insane from the isolation, attacking anything alive in its paranoia that everything was out to get it.

The twins' father laughed, and then stiffened when he caught wind of the dragon stalking them, and he tried to usher the young dragons back towards the lair. The coatl struck then, clawing at their father, and the fae fought back, trying to lead it away from his children. Wasat and Alhena bolted, simply flying away in their terror but not in the direction of their lair. Their wings flapped frantically, but it wasn't long before they could hear the coatl pursuing them.

They had glanced at each other and dived in different directions, hoping that the coatl would follow one so the other twin could double back and attack it from behind. The coatl followed Alhena and Wasat barreled after both of them. But the coatl was faster than he was, and Wasat finally barreled into the coatl's back after it had already reached his twin. The fight was brief and brutal, with Wasat standing over the dead body, and his sister slowly bleeding out next to him.

Alhena smiled at him while he frantically tried to stop the bleeding, lying about how she was going to be fine. She laughed weakly at him, and told him that he'd find a new family eventually. As she faded out, she wished silently on a falling star for her words to be true.

The star fell to earth, and took a new form, one that could gather dragons that would be like a family. This dragon ran into another fae and the two of them traveled together until they met Wasat, who had changed his name to Gemini to distance himself from the tragedy of his twin's death. But that was years away, years in which Gemini wandered, and lost himself and his words, speaking only when necessary.

Virgo became the brightest spot in his life after they met, his respect for her urging him to keep his distance no matter how much he loved her. That changed when it became clear that she dropped her guard around him, and it's for her that a section of his anger at the Dreamcatchers comes from. He hates them for taking away the happiness that he had finally rediscovered.

Quote:
You just have to slow down on some days, man.
Scorpio grew up in a large clan; in fact his childhood was almost idyllic. His parents loved him and he spent most of his time napping in various places around the lair. He would find small nooks and crannies, jam his small body into them, and fall asleep where no one would bother him.

Because of this, he did almost no work around the lair or to help the clan. There were grumbles about this, but Scorpio ignored them, staying in his hiding places and studying his clanmates. They would often pass by his napping spots multiple times whenever they searched for him, and he would wonder what the huge deal was about. He would help out whenever he felt like it, and enjoy what he did want to do.

His lackadaisical approach to living frustrated others, who encouraged him to work harder. By that point however, he had overheard several conversations from each of his clanmates and had stockpiled blackmail material on all of them. He was content not to use them as long as he was allowed to do what he wanted. Most of the time it was lazing about, or studying the stars at night. His parents were torn about how to deal with Scorpio, wanting him to be happy but feeling the need for him to work for it like everyone else.

No longer feeling welcome in his childhood home, Scorpio started to wander. His parents sent him off with a stack of food to eat and a smoky bantam fangar to watch out for him. He traveled from the green nature-rich forest and headed south. Scorpio was better than fine for a while, no longer having to deal with others, and bonded with his new familiar, the two of them enjoying the chance to simply enjoy life.

However, they eventually ran out of food, and Scorpio wasn't willing to put in the effort to learn how to get more. Instead, he found a spot near another clan's lair, and settled down to wait. He spent days simply watching the clan and their patterns, endlessly patient in his observations. His Fangar brought what little food it could scrounge up and once he was confident enough, Scorpio simply walked into the lair, weaving around the dragons that he had memorized the patterns and habits of. He swiped some food and treasure before strolling out.

That was how he survived, stealing off of others, and traveling south towards the Windswept Plateau. It was during that time that he ran into a trio of faes that were planning heists together. He had blinked at the defensive dragons and casually pointed out a point where they had gotten the security of their lair wrong. From that point on he tagged along with them, enjoying the easy way of life and the least stressful work he had ever done.

He doesn't care that he's been locked up in the Taijitu Facility, but his anger smolders for the people that he has come to care about. His eyes are piercing as he studies the Dreamcatchers for weaknesses and waits for the perfect moment to do the most amount of damage for the least amount of work.
* The original text was: You just have to slow do some days man. I wasn't sure how exactly this should be read, so I went with a version that I felt sounded as lazy as Scorpio himself. XD

Quote:
Flames have such pretty colors, don't they?
Taurus scared her parents from a young age; it was impossible to keep her from the flames that were lit for light in the lair. She could stare at the flickering lights and deepening shadows for hours, unnerving even the most stone-cold dragon. It was a huge contrast to the normal way the young fae acted: loud, energetic, and as impulsive as the flames she was obsessed with.

And she wasn't the only one in the clan obsessed with someone; her older cousin insisted on following her around everywhere.

Quote:
Libra had been born to be a thief, and it was that fact that made her clan hate her. The peaceful wind clan didn't know how to handle the small fae that flitted around the lair, taking things without realizing that she was doing so. They went to an arcane dragon in search of an answer and what they got was a label and nothing more. Kleptomaniac.

The young fae couldn't help but take what wasn't hers, and the situation was only made worse by her annoyingly cheerful attitude in the face of everything. She was loud as could be, seemingly born without a volume control, and still the clan could not prevent her from stealing the stuff lying around the lair. And as the years went by, their frustration grew.

Reaching the end of their ropes, the clan tried to distract the fae by teaching her fighting techniques, hoping that if Libra's hands were occupied she would eventually break the "habit" that she had. And it did help, for a little while, until she started to take once more.

Exploding in anger when they caught her stealing from them, one clan member screamed that the fae had better learn something useful or they would kick her out of the clan themselves. Libra had shrunk in on herself, dropping the item in her hand -- a useless unused piece of apparel -- and fled the scene, horrified that they thought so little of her. She struggled with the idea that someone who had watched her grow up, had watched her struggle with the problem as best she could, would hate her so much.

In a desperate attempt to stop the rash of thefts, the clan locked her up in an isolated corner of the lair and left her there alone, except to drop off food so that she wouldn't starve. As time went by, and Libra slowly went mad from the isolation, the clan started to repeat the same thing over and over again.

Make herself useful and no longer a burden, and she would be set free.

She took the message and absorbed it, but not in the way the clan wanted her to, and instead in her half-mad state, took it to mean that she had to prove her stealing's worth. So she plotted carefully, and broke out, taking to the sky, determined to prove that her kleptomania could be useful, that she could do something other than be a burden.

And that was when the Zodiac found her, taking her into the fold gratefully, impressed with her ability to pickpocket and steal without thought. The longer that the broken fae spent with them, the less that she wanted to return to her old clan, her broken pieces fitting back together into a jagged puzzle with sharp ends.

Her previous isolation was probably what made her snap when she was thrown into the Taijitu Facility.

Quote:
Sagittarius had been hatched for one reason. To be sold. His parents had been short on money and had laid a nest in order to sell the hatchlings for money. Sagittarius was bought only days after his hatching and, as soon as he was large enough, set on manual labor for the clan that had purchased him.

He started out cooking and cleaning and did those well enough that he was permanently assigned to those. He would have enjoyed them, if it were not for the negative treatment from the clan that owned him. No matter how hard he worked, he would be told that it wasn't good enough. He was ridiculed and mocked, pushed around and jeered at.

There were times he felt like their stress ball as well as their slave.

Years of this treatment left Sagittarius a stuttering, nervous wreck, flinching any time someone approached him. His only solace was in the cooking that he loved, but even that had the chance to be invaded at any point in time. Nowhere in the lair was he safe.

Then one day, while he was cleaning parts of the hoard, another fae, one that he didn't recognize, snuck into it. The pale fae had grinned at him, and tried to talk to Sagittarius even as he stole from the clan that owned Sagittarius. Sagittarius tried to stop him even though his voice was a quiet stuttering mess. Aries told him to smile more before disappearing into the night.

Blamed for the missing items, Sagittarius was left alone to deal with his injuries himself. He sat just outside the lair, the farthest he was allowed to go, and struggled to treat the cuts and bruises. As the sun set, Aries came bounding back, and the grin on the other fae's face fell when he caught sight of Sagittarius. Sagi was whisked away by the cheerful thief, who had argued for him to be allowed to join the Zodiacs.

Sagittarius still did most of the grunt work of cleaning and cooking for the Zodiac, but it was because he wanted to this time. He adored Aries for taking him away from his clan and followed him around every chance he got. He wasn't sure what to do when they got caught, feeling guilty about how little he could do to help prevent that.

He had known that the Zodiac weren't the best dragons around, but he felt like he owed them his life. For that reason, no matter how little he hates the rest of the world, Sagittarius stands next to the dragons that became his family, as right or wrong as they are.
@Disillusionist
Do you only do lore/bios? :0 I have a fanfiction that I've been meaning to write/finish (though I am a lazy bum, so throughout the year I have only accumulated two chapters...sort of). I would love for them to be proofread, and would definitely pay considering that they're a lot longer than what you typically look at :)
@Disillusionist
Do you only do lore/bios? :0 I have a fanfiction that I've been meaning to write/finish (though I am a lazy bum, so throughout the year I have only accumulated two chapters...sort of). I would love for them to be proofread, and would definitely pay considering that they're a lot longer than what you typically look at :)
m16OKP.jpeg
1 2 3 4