Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Harsh Critique [closed]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 48 49
OK, I am SUPER interested in harsh crits so do your worst! This is a recent work and while I am done with it, I'm not satisfied. [img]http://67.media.tumblr.com/549d781d1bc6a37dcfc56fe71eb42e52/tumblr_obwl57ZzCb1r7fnryo1_1280.jpg[/img] I am neither experienced in nor skilled at digital color/painting, so how do you think I could improve there? Any good tutorials? (And like I said, I welcome any other critique you have for me!) And here is a sketchdump of lines from a comic I'm working on. I realize this is not a super polished thing and so a lot of the normal dialogue (like composition and such) will not apply, but I'll take what I can get on this one, haha. [img]http://66.media.tumblr.com/0957d68f5946e76835d70c5ee202e6b4/tumblr_oc2dun2Kfu1u2kbyho1_1280.jpg[/img]
OK, I am SUPER interested in harsh crits so do your worst!

This is a recent work and while I am done with it, I'm not satisfied.

tumblr_obwl57ZzCb1r7fnryo1_1280.jpg

I am neither experienced in nor skilled at digital color/painting, so how do you think I could improve there? Any good tutorials? (And like I said, I welcome any other critique you have for me!)

And here is a sketchdump of lines from a comic I'm working on. I realize this is not a super polished thing and so a lot of the normal dialogue (like composition and such) will not apply, but I'll take what I can get on this one, haha.

tumblr_oc2dun2Kfu1u2kbyho1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nzom95t8VW1r7fnryo2_r1_500.png
Ohh I'd love one if I'm not too late!! This was meant to look like a fake tarot card aha...please ignore the shading since it's totally minimal intentionally but otherwise please rip my weeb ass apart. [img]http://67.media.tumblr.com/f5a794b9bcac26f430aab3ee3677dd19/tumblr_oc2jiggv5l1vaontuo1_540.png[/img]
Ohh I'd love one if I'm not too late!!

This was meant to look like a fake tarot card aha...please ignore the shading since it's totally minimal intentionally but otherwise please rip my weeb *** apart.

tumblr_oc2jiggv5l1vaontuo1_540.png
I like this I should post something soon
I like this I should post something soon
bonsai_princessparrot_1_by_auricolor-dap3vba.png
@KatGrimm [img]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q50/TheSneezyOne/dragon6_zps39lkt5yr.png[/img] Your wildclaw has excellent anatomy! You have achieved excellent shading and colouring! However,[b] hands and feet[/b] can be improved - make it somewhat more jointed (but not too much), as in the example below. I admit that the pic isn't the best reference as it's someone else's depiction of a raptor, but it's good to compare your wildclaw's claws with: [img]http://th09.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2011/140/6/4/male_velociraptor_concept_art_by_yankeetrex-d3gtft7.jpg[/img] You can also compare wildclaw feet with large predatory birds and raptors(dinosaur). Other things to improve are: teeth can be made with more detail, & fluff can be shaded to look... well, fluffier (though these two factors aren't very important) I think your [b]background[/b] can improve if you chose a different colour, or a completely new background: the red blends into the wildclaw so it doesn't become the main image (or in fancy terms, the [b]salient[/b] image). In your artwork, the salient image is the teeth as it's white and stands out from the crimson and black - whether this is good or bad is up to you! For a high tension image, the background should have completely opposing colours to the main image. Colours that go well with each other are good for other[b] moods[/b]. So ask yourself, what colour goes with red? What is the mood I'm going for? A good colour combination for your background would probably be yellow, pink or blue. Hope this is helpful! And your art is awesome :D
@KatGrimm
dragon6_zps39lkt5yr.png
Your wildclaw has excellent anatomy! You have achieved excellent shading and colouring! However, hands and feet can be improved - make it somewhat more jointed (but not too much), as in the example below. I admit that the pic isn't the best reference as it's someone else's depiction of a raptor, but it's good to compare your wildclaw's claws with:
male_velociraptor_concept_art_by_yankeetrex-d3gtft7.jpg
You can also compare wildclaw feet with large predatory birds and raptors(dinosaur).
Other things to improve are: teeth can be made with more detail, & fluff can be shaded to look... well, fluffier (though these two factors aren't very important)

I think your background can improve if you chose a different colour, or a completely new background: the red blends into the wildclaw so it doesn't become the main image (or in fancy terms, the salient image). In your artwork, the salient image is the teeth as it's white and stands out from the crimson and black - whether this is good or bad is up to you! For a high tension image, the background should have completely opposing colours to the main image. Colours that go well with each other are good for other moods. So ask yourself, what colour goes with red? What is the mood I'm going for?
A good colour combination for your background would probably be yellow, pink or blue.

Hope this is helpful! And your art is awesome :D
tumblr_opn7kiKzTA1wnxxc9o1_100.pngfT9pA9Y.gifHW6ASYa.png07_SuperNinjaDragon.giftumblr_opn6d7mJiG1wnxxc9o1_100.png
@ikilintu [img]http://i.imgur.com/Tp1EiX4.jpg[/img] Your work has nice colour choices, design, proportion and composition. But enough compliments! Let's get straight to the critique! Improvements to be made: -[b] shading [/b]can be elaborated on. - [b]perspective[/b] is slightly off I can't think of any more flaws as I draw mostly dragons, and don't know much about humans, haha. I think to improve on the said flaws, you can practice. I can see you on the brink of becoming a pro!
@ikilintu
Tp1EiX4.jpg
Your work has nice colour choices, design, proportion and composition. But enough compliments! Let's get straight to the critique!
Improvements to be made:
- shading can be elaborated on.
- perspective is slightly off

I can't think of any more flaws as I draw mostly dragons, and don't know much about humans, haha. I think to improve on the said flaws, you can practice. I can see you on the brink of becoming a pro!
tumblr_opn7kiKzTA1wnxxc9o1_100.pngfT9pA9Y.gifHW6ASYa.png07_SuperNinjaDragon.giftumblr_opn6d7mJiG1wnxxc9o1_100.png
@CuQuoise
Sure! I'll love to see your accents (and maybe I'll even buy them, hehe) (or maybe I'll even harshly critique your accents to the point you which you didn't see what I wrote)

@PrincessParrot
Please post :D And I shall harshly critique you~ I love seeing other people's art too!
@CuQuoise
Sure! I'll love to see your accents (and maybe I'll even buy them, hehe) (or maybe I'll even harshly critique your accents to the point you which you didn't see what I wrote)

@PrincessParrot
Please post :D And I shall harshly critique you~ I love seeing other people's art too!
@QueenParda You fae art is outrageous! [img]http://i.imgur.com/Xu84vlE.png[/img] It's so good I have literally nothing to say about it. The only thing I can pick on is that the fae isn't 101% accurate. Other than that, it's great and all the proportions are... well, pretty accurate already! So I'll pick on one of your other art stuff since I found it: [img]http://i.imgur.com/yaMrieb.png[/img] The norturne's chest seems a bit flat, and the[b] opacity [/b]in the Wing Silks makes it look odd as it contrasts your sketchy style. Making the brush you used have less opacity may have a better effect. Hopefully this helps!
@QueenParda
You fae art is outrageous!
Xu84vlE.png
It's so good I have literally nothing to say about it. The only thing I can pick on is that the fae isn't 101% accurate. Other than that, it's great and all the proportions are... well, pretty accurate already!

So I'll pick on one of your other art stuff since I found it:
yaMrieb.png
The norturne's chest seems a bit flat, and the opacity in the Wing Silks makes it look odd as it contrasts your sketchy style. Making the brush you used have less opacity may have a better effect.

Hopefully this helps!

@geekboots For your first work, colours are well chosen, but try experimenting with[b] different brushes[/b]. Some brushes can mix and others can't. Also experiment with art programs. As for the sketches for your comic, they're great - proportions and shading are correct and you're skilled at different perspectives! I think your art style [b]best suits a traditional medium[/b], and you did say you weren't very experienced in digital art. So I'll try to give you digital tips! First off, it's pretty hard to make digital art look 'natural' and sketchy styles sometimes don't look quite as good than if they were done traditionally. However, a variety of brushes and tools can help you achieve a [b]natural[/b] look: [img]http://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/644fcd8fcd18e49495db2f90e010be00.jpg[/img] Digital art can be easily edited and is great when trying to make things look 'smooth' or faded: [img]http://orig14.deviantart.net/3456/f/2014/210/3/c/3cf8366a877be62de28cf8e5d359cf74-d60ns3y.jpg[/img] And some shading tips I posted earlier. You didn't do any of the 'don'ts' which is pretty good: [img]http://img04.deviantart.net/3a2b/i/2012/337/0/a/the_do__s_and_don__t__s_of_shading_by_wickyw-d5mxo64.png[/img]
@geekboots

For your first work, colours are well chosen, but try experimenting with different brushes. Some brushes can mix and others can't. Also experiment with art programs. As for the sketches for your comic, they're great - proportions and shading are correct and you're skilled at different perspectives!

I think your art style best suits a traditional medium, and you did say you weren't very experienced in digital art. So I'll try to give you digital tips!
First off, it's pretty hard to make digital art look 'natural' and sketchy styles sometimes don't look quite as good than if they were done traditionally. However, a variety of brushes and tools can help you achieve a natural look:
644fcd8fcd18e49495db2f90e010be00.jpg

Digital art can be easily edited and is great when trying to make things look 'smooth' or faded:
3cf8366a877be62de28cf8e5d359cf74-d60ns3y.jpg

And some shading tips I posted earlier. You didn't do any of the 'don'ts' which is pretty good:
the_do__s_and_don__t__s_of_shading_by_wickyw-d5mxo64.png
@Kiou You can never be too late ;) I love how you made tarot cards! [img]http://67.media.tumblr.com/f5a794b9bcac26f430aab3ee3677dd19/tumblr_oc2jiggv5l1vaontuo1_540.png[/img] I know you said you tried to do minimal shading, but I think that since you did [b]highlights[/b] in some of the hair and a bit of the armour, you should put highlights on other parts too as it looks a tad odd without it. The framing on the bottom left corner overlaps the foot. To improve [b]composition[/b], this frame can be placed behind. Colours in the background my also be [b]confusing [/b]as there're a lot of colours - however it also has a nice effect. Great art by the way!
@Kiou
You can never be too late ;) I love how you made tarot cards!
tumblr_oc2jiggv5l1vaontuo1_540.png
I know you said you tried to do minimal shading, but I think that since you did highlights in some of the hair and a bit of the armour, you should put highlights on other parts too as it looks a tad odd without it. The framing on the bottom left corner overlaps the foot. To improve composition, this frame can be placed behind. Colours in the background my also be confusing as there're a lot of colours - however it also has a nice effect.

Great art by the way!
@SuperNinjaDragon
I still have the layers and stuff saved so I can play around with it, and remember this for the rest of the set. Thank you!
@SuperNinjaDragon
I still have the layers and stuff saved so I can play around with it, and remember this for the rest of the set. Thank you!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 48 49