Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [BSJ] Artifact Recovery and Reassembly
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23 24
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=12302794] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/123028/12302794_350.png[/img] [/url] Terra stalks intently towards the chipper Coatl, and upon reaching the raggedy stall, looks Narji in the eye. "I suppose you called me here because I'm an [i]Earth Snapper[/i], hmm? Need some help with these [i]rocks[/i] you call artifacts, and think I'd be a an easy source of information for you to take advantage of, ey?" She pauses briefly. "Well, you'd be right! I LOVE stonework!" She pulls a hand lens from her hidden satchel of tools and begins studying the objects that had been laid out with much more care than the stall had been put up with. "I'm really a geologist, so I'd be far more capable of telling you what these are made of, but you're looking for archaeological or historical interpretations, correct? I'll give it my best shot!" After a long perusal of each item and some hmmming and humphing, Terra turns once more to Narji. "It's a good thing you pulled me over! If my hunch is correct, it's a good thing we Snappers have a long memory and my great aunt loved to tell her old war stories. I don't suppose you've heard of the Long Reach? A few eons previous, the Earthshaker's children made an attempt to claim coastline territory opposite the river from the Viridian Labyrinth. They successfully pushed through the Driftwood Drag of the Tangled Woods and forged into the Sunbeam Ruins. Stories say they managed to make it all the way into the Hewn City, and these relics seem to prove so. I don't know what you lot here in the Ruins called that war, but back in my birth clan it was called the Long Reach, and many Snappers were diverted from their traditional trails to incur into foreign territories. Anyway, the marble remains of that Living Sculpture? A Shadow beast, that is. You don't see 'em outside of the time when the Nocturnes arrive. Folklore says that during the Long Reach, mages of Earth enchanted the stone statues deep within the Tangled Wood and bade them protect and fight. I don't really believe that story myself, but clearly there's some history there, no? This Runestone, rare enough to find nowadays, was probably even more powerful back then. You said it was found [i]within[/i] the remains of the Living Statue? Imbuing the Statue with the local magic would probably sway its loyalties. Some clever Light mage probably thought of that one. Moving on... you all still have Chimeras in the Arena, and I've seen those Granite Threshers in those old sewers beneath the City myself. Those are clearly fossilized Chimera fangs, and THOSE are clearly the ancient remains of a Thresher. Them beasts are protective of their territory against modern trespassers, so their ancient ancestors possibly fought against the Long Reach in that time. The tile though, I'm not sure about, I'd need more of a background in Ruins history, but if all these artifacts were found together it could be from the destruction of a building, or a recording of the war." She squints at the dirty tile for a few more moments, and sighs. "It's too weathered for me to make heads or tails of, best find an actual dracopologist or ancient text expert for this. Anyway, I hope I've been of some help to you, and I must now take my leave. Oh, and I'll be taking this as a small payment for expertise given and services rendered." Terra pops a chunk of granite into her chest guard of holding, and walks away with stunning alacrity for a Snapper that had just spent a solid chunk of time standing and soliloquizing.

12302794_350.png

Terra stalks intently towards the chipper Coatl, and upon reaching the raggedy stall, looks Narji in the eye.

"I suppose you called me here because I'm an Earth Snapper, hmm? Need some help with these rocks you call artifacts, and think I'd be a an easy source of information for you to take advantage of, ey?"

She pauses briefly.

"Well, you'd be right! I LOVE stonework!"

She pulls a hand lens from her hidden satchel of tools and begins studying the objects that had been laid out with much more care than the stall had been put up with.

"I'm really a geologist, so I'd be far more capable of telling you what these are made of, but you're looking for archaeological or historical interpretations, correct? I'll give it my best shot!"

After a long perusal of each item and some hmmming and humphing, Terra turns once more to Narji.

"It's a good thing you pulled me over! If my hunch is correct, it's a good thing we Snappers have a long memory and my great aunt loved to tell her old war stories. I don't suppose you've heard of the Long Reach?

A few eons previous, the Earthshaker's children made an attempt to claim coastline territory opposite the river from the Viridian Labyrinth. They successfully pushed through the Driftwood Drag of the Tangled Woods and forged into the Sunbeam Ruins.

Stories say they managed to make it all the way into the Hewn City, and these relics seem to prove so. I don't know what you lot here in the Ruins called that war, but back in my birth clan it was called the Long Reach, and many Snappers were diverted from their traditional trails to incur into foreign territories.

Anyway, the marble remains of that Living Sculpture? A Shadow beast, that is. You don't see 'em outside of the time when the Nocturnes arrive. Folklore says that during the Long Reach, mages of Earth enchanted the stone statues deep within the Tangled Wood and bade them protect and fight. I don't really believe that story myself, but clearly there's some history there, no?

This Runestone, rare enough to find nowadays, was probably even more powerful back then. You said it was found within the remains of the Living Statue? Imbuing the Statue with the local magic would probably sway its loyalties. Some clever Light mage probably thought of that one.

Moving on... you all still have Chimeras in the Arena, and I've seen those Granite Threshers in those old sewers beneath the City myself. Those are clearly fossilized Chimera fangs, and THOSE are clearly the ancient remains of a Thresher. Them beasts are protective of their territory against modern trespassers, so their ancient ancestors possibly fought against the Long Reach in that time.

The tile though, I'm not sure about, I'd need more of a background in Ruins history, but if all these artifacts were found together it could be from the destruction of a building, or a recording of the war."

She squints at the dirty tile for a few more moments, and sighs.

"It's too weathered for me to make heads or tails of, best find an actual dracopologist or ancient text expert for this.

Anyway, I hope I've been of some help to you, and I must now take my leave. Oh, and I'll be taking this as a small payment for expertise given and services rendered."

Terra pops a chunk of granite into her chest guard of holding, and walks away with stunning alacrity for a Snapper that had just spent a solid chunk of time standing and soliloquizing.
QQnBZuq.gif
[center][img]http://i.imgur.com/B648Ttg.png[/img] [b]Notes: Day Unknown. Name: Lindi.[/b] [i]Today, as I flew towards the artifact stand, there was a Coatl bouncing up and down excitedly. Everywhere else are panicked dragons trying very hard to get rid of their wares. Is it really that bad out here? I remember someone mentioning a curse. Hopefully it stays far away from the Forum. Wait, did she just say none of these are chipped? ALL of them are chipped! Every single one!! I get the excitement, but please don't break the items...[/i] [color=#6d6837]"You know what? I'd let you do the talking, but you just said you wanted to hear my ideas! I'll listen to you afterward, alright?" [/color] After an enthusiastic nod from the Coatl, and a relieved sigh from Lindi, she begins to speak her thoughts. [color=#6d6837]"Alright. The granite chunks are... Er, granite chunks. Maybe they were part of something a while ago, but I can't figure anything out from these pieces. The stone tile, though... Now that is interesting. I remember studying one. They depict ancient gods, unrelated to our deities, somewhat like mini-gods I guess. Usually very strong dragons, revered for their abilities. This one seems to be a powerful Coatl, flying through the skies and bringing sunlight along with it. Likely a few thousand years old. The teeth and the rune... Do you have any more pieces? I think they might be from the same helmet! Something like this..."[/color] Lindi sketches something in her journal, and shows it to the Coatl in front of her. [img]http://i.imgur.com/Cl13bX2.png[/img] [color=#6d6837]"Very old, very old indeed. Wars and battles. Nice. And finally, the sculpture. You do realize it actually is alive, right? I saw it blink a few minutes ago. Nice going with the staring contest, by the way, Max!"[/color] Lindi nods at the statue, who nods back in acknowledgement, before freezing again. The sprite winks at the Coatl and flutters off, writing in her journal as she flies. [i]There were fairly ordinary items at first this time, but as I looked, the better they were. I never thought I'd see another of those helmets! Not to mention, I got to meet my old buddy Max. Who knows what he was doing there, he always was a quiet fellow. I think he just likes tricking everyone.[/i] [/center]
B648Ttg.png

Notes: Day Unknown. Name: Lindi.

Today, as I flew towards the artifact stand, there was a Coatl bouncing up and down excitedly. Everywhere else are panicked dragons trying very hard to get rid of their wares. Is it really that bad out here? I remember someone mentioning a curse. Hopefully it stays far away from the Forum.

Wait, did she just say none of these are chipped? ALL of them are chipped! Every single one!! I get the excitement, but please don't break the items...

"You know what? I'd let you do the talking, but you just said you wanted to hear my ideas! I'll listen to you afterward, alright?"

After an enthusiastic nod from the Coatl, and a relieved sigh from Lindi, she begins to speak her thoughts.

"Alright. The granite chunks are... Er, granite chunks. Maybe they were part of something a while ago, but I can't figure anything out from these pieces. The stone tile, though... Now that is interesting. I remember studying one. They depict ancient gods, unrelated to our deities, somewhat like mini-gods I guess. Usually very strong dragons, revered for their abilities. This one seems to be a powerful Coatl, flying through the skies and bringing sunlight along with it. Likely a few thousand years old.

The teeth and the rune... Do you have any more pieces? I think they might be from the same helmet! Something like this..."

Lindi sketches something in her journal, and shows it to the Coatl in front of her.

Cl13bX2.png

"Very old, very old indeed. Wars and battles. Nice.

And finally, the sculpture. You do realize it actually is alive, right? I saw it blink a few minutes ago. Nice going with the staring contest, by the way, Max!"

Lindi nods at the statue, who nods back in acknowledgement, before freezing again. The sprite winks at the Coatl and flutters off, writing in her journal as she flies.

There were fairly ordinary items at first this time, but as I looked, the better they were. I never thought I'd see another of those helmets! Not to mention, I got to meet my old buddy Max. Who knows what he was doing there, he always was a quiet fellow. I think he just likes tricking everyone.
h8ppV79.pngPG7Fgon.png
[quote= Artifacts][item=granite chunk][item=dirt-covered tile][item=chimera fangs][item=light runestone][item=living sculpture][/quote] [i]A stalwart statue once stood, Attempting to thwart what would Approach the Lightweaver's livelihood. A Runestone rests lightly, Between a chimera's fangs. Granite chunks surround it slightly, Where an old dirt tile hangs. This all once rested Within a wondrous city Which was guarded fiercely By those statues that could never be bested. [/i]
Artifacts wrote:
Granite Chunk Dirt-Covered Tile Chimera Fangs Light Runestone Living Sculpture

A stalwart statue once stood,
Attempting to thwart what would
Approach the Lightweaver's livelihood.

A Runestone rests lightly,
Between a chimera's fangs.
Granite chunks surround it slightly,
Where an old dirt tile hangs.

This all once rested
Within a wondrous city
Which was guarded fiercely
By those statues that could never be bested.

earthflower.pngfood_cindershroom_by_dogi_crimson-da8qcfn.giffood_ancient_mushroom_by_dogi_crimson-da9oxmr.gifegg_nature_bounce_by_dogi_crimson-da8wjqe.giffood_ancient_mushroom_by_dogi_crimson-da9oxmr.giffood_cindershroom_by_dogi_crimson-da8qcfn.gifearthflower.png
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=18579107] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/185792/18579107_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Me? Well. I.. I guess." Naia had been looking for a book seller. She adjusted her glasses and peered at the items. She picked up the broken glasses carefully and sighed, "Well this is what you get when you try to fool the gods I suppose." A sad shake of her head followed the statement. "Can you imagine it? Someone thinking to bring lies before the Lightbringer? False gold and vegetables they didn't want to finish. No matter the wishes they hoped to bring true, they obviously offended her. Now all that's left of them are broken glasses. It is better to offer nothing than to insult or try to trick a god. Now in my lair a lot of the fellows don't take the gods that seriously, because as I'm sure you know the Windsinger doesn't come around much. In fact since our clan formed he hasn't been heard form. I did think it would be harder for other clans outside of Wind to discount the power of the gods though. I suppose there are always some who don't take the tales seriously. Sad. Well speaking of tales, I don't suppose you can point me in the direction of that antique book sale I heard about?"

"Me? Well. I.. I guess." Naia had been looking for a book seller. She adjusted her glasses and peered at the items. She picked up the broken glasses carefully and sighed, "Well this is what you get when you try to fool the gods I suppose." A sad shake of her head followed the statement.

"Can you imagine it? Someone thinking to bring lies before the Lightbringer? False gold and vegetables they didn't want to finish. No matter the wishes they hoped to bring true, they obviously offended her. Now all that's left of them are broken glasses. It is better to offer nothing than to insult or try to trick a god. Now in my lair a lot of the fellows don't take the gods that seriously, because as I'm sure you know the Windsinger doesn't come around much. In fact since our clan formed he hasn't been heard form. I did think it would be harder for other clans outside of Wind to discount the power of the gods though. I suppose there are always some who don't take the tales seriously. Sad. Well speaking of tales, I don't suppose you can point me in the direction of that antique book sale I heard about?"
Bk78Myp.png Z3T662y.png FF
@Vely[b] [u]June 20[/u][/b] [br] ----- [br][columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=14084791][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/140848/14084791p.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=#ffffff]-[nextcol][color=#c6538c]Hm... interesting objects you have here. Sacridite glows when someone makes a wish nearby it and the Lightweaver image and collar... oh, these must be the fragments of a [u]Sacred Blessing Collar[/u]! It's completely broken... but I think I can temporarily put it together... .[/color][/columns] [br][center] *Somnium uses her Arcane magic on the artifacts and they start to levitate in the air, but she fails to forge them together.*[/center] [br] [center][item=Sacridite][item=Lightweaver Marble Bust][item=Golden Collar][/center] [br] [columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=14084791][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/140848/14084791p.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=#ffffff]-[nextcol][color=#c6538c]Hm... Anim'! Please, restore these fragments to their former glory for me.[/color][/columns] [br] [center] *In the background, what seems like a Wildclaw statue starts moving with heavy steps. ... Wait, it[i] is [/i]a statue!* [br] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=16508483][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/165085/16508483.png[/img][/url][/center] [br] [columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=14084791][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/140848/14084791p.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=#ffffff]-[nextcol][color=#c6538c]Oh, don't be so perplexed! The Arcanist blessed this statue so he could protect the Sacred objects guarded within The Observatory, but Animus is now in service of my Clan.[/color][/columns] [br][center] *Animus uses his magic and the artifacts come together to form a brilliant collar, but only for a few seconds. The very moment he stops using his magic, the Sacridite depletes and the collar loses all it's brilliant sheen. Afterwards, the statue starts talking with a slightly artificial voice.* [url=http://i.imgur.com/MnyUSsq.png][img]http://i.imgur.com/gk2RjTN.png[/img][/url][/center] [br] [columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=16508483][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/165085/16508483p.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=#ffffff]-[nextcol][i][color=#ff0066]These Sacred Collars are gifted by the Deities to their most valued servitors. Few dragons in exalting ever earn one, but those who do, will have their deity's protection in battle. There is a catch, though. If the wearer of the pendant is in danger, the deity whose granted the blessing will only ever be able to come aid their servitor acolyte once, afterwards the collars shatters. The Sacridite is a limited resource and the deities can't protect everyone of their dear followers all the time, that's why every collar only ever works once. The wearer of this collar must have been one of the Lightweaver's acolights.[/i][/columns] [columns][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=14084791][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/140848/14084791p.png[/img][/url][nextcol][color=#ffffff]-[nextcol][color=#c6538c]Thanks for you help, Anim'. Well, I hope we could be your archaeology expedition of use. It's always a pleasure for us to help.[/color][/columns]
@Vely June 20

14084791p.png - Hm... interesting objects you have here. Sacridite glows when someone makes a wish nearby it and the Lightweaver image and collar... oh, these must be the fragments of a Sacred Blessing Collar! It's completely broken... but I think I can temporarily put it together... .

*Somnium uses her Arcane magic on the artifacts and they start to levitate in the air, but she fails to forge them together.*

Sacridite Lightweaver Marble Bust Golden Collar

14084791p.png - Hm... Anim'! Please, restore these fragments to their former glory for me.

*In the background, what seems like a Wildclaw statue starts moving with heavy steps. ... Wait, it is a statue!*

16508483.png

14084791p.png - Oh, don't be so perplexed! The Arcanist blessed this statue so he could protect the Sacred objects guarded within The Observatory, but Animus is now in service of my Clan.

*Animus uses his magic and the artifacts come together to form a brilliant collar, but only for a few seconds. The very moment he stops using his magic, the Sacridite depletes and the collar loses all it's brilliant sheen. Afterwards, the statue starts talking with a slightly artificial voice.*

gk2RjTN.png

16508483p.png - These Sacred Collars are gifted by the Deities to their most valued servitors. Few dragons in exalting ever earn one, but those who do, will have their deity's protection in battle. There is a catch, though. If the wearer of the pendant is in danger, the deity whose granted the blessing will only ever be able to come aid their servitor acolyte once, afterwards the collars shatters. The Sacridite is a limited resource and the deities can't protect everyone of their dear followers all the time, that's why every collar only ever works once. The wearer of this collar must have been one of the Lightweaver's acolights.
14084791p.png - Thanks for you help, Anim'. Well, I hope we could be your archaeology expedition of use. It's always a pleasure for us to help.
69nIsKW.pngZZyKFJK.gifaeepzid.pngK5Ygz6H.gifkQ6a9lN.pnghYGY1dA.gifs934ycP.png
http://talicinx.deviantart.com/art/1466494427718-1500544822-616708245 Hey look everyone it's the snotweaver [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=262911] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/2630/262911_350.png[/img] [/url] The things you make me say Hinata
http://talicinx.deviantart.com/art/1466494427718-1500544822-616708245
Hey look everyone it's the snotweaver

262911_350.png

The things you make me say Hinata
1Tdrm4y.pngo3rXXkG.gif
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=19689881] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/196899/19689881_350.png[/img] [/url] "Oh, I recognise some of these!" the Imperial exclaims. "See, the trio - well, technically it's a duo and a third wheel but then you can't really prove she's actually a third wheel because her nose is in her flowers all the time and it's not like anybody has the guts to ask because she packs an eliminate under that fae-ness - but anyway, they brought back chunks of this stuff after going into the waterway. It wasn't really that impressive, because - out of all the things, and you bring back a chunk of rock, what even, but there were loads of these. They said the threshers leave these behind as booby traps, these chunks really hurt if you drop them on your feet apparently. But yeah, I think it's the granite threshers that drop these, this is probably just a chunk of Old Granite Thresher." The Imperial takes a deep breath before exhaling, her breath sending artifacts scattering. The formerly-pristine chimera fang shatters into bone fragments. "I've always wondered what happens if you attach a laser to a thresher, I mean according to the priests it brings about the end of the world but I'm pretty sure it's the Shade that makes that happen, not a weird rock creature with a laser. And, uh, sorry about your chimera fang. If it's any consolation, that thing barely passes for an artifact, and only because it's an old fossilised chunk. It's probably worth more as bone fragments." She sweeps out a claw, brushing the pieces off the stand. They clatter noisily to the ground. "The dirt tile looks like it might have fallen out of a great building - though if you found it near this stuff I honestly have no clue what the building was. I mean, threshers get everywhere, so maybe you can discount the granite, but I don't think tiles and fossilised fangs go together. The runestone at least is pretty obvious, see the Light symbol is obviously there. It's old and primitive - see how the glow is fading and the edges of the rune aren't really straight? - but it's still definitely a runestone. I'm glad to say rock carving has become way more sophisticated since then, though, otherwise I'd be out of a job! As for the statue, well, watch this." The Imperial lowers her head to meet the statue, then promptly whacks it with a claw. And jumps back when it lunges at her. "It's alive it's alive it's alive anyway these things used to guard temples or something oh no it's trying to kill me bYE!"

19689881_350.png

"Oh, I recognise some of these!" the Imperial exclaims. "See, the trio - well, technically it's a duo and a third wheel but then you can't really prove she's actually a third wheel because her nose is in her flowers all the time and it's not like anybody has the guts to ask because she packs an eliminate under that fae-ness - but anyway, they brought back chunks of this stuff after going into the waterway. It wasn't really that impressive, because - out of all the things, and you bring back a chunk of rock, what even, but there were loads of these. They said the threshers leave these behind as booby traps, these chunks really hurt if you drop them on your feet apparently. But yeah, I think it's the granite threshers that drop these, this is probably just a chunk of Old Granite Thresher."

The Imperial takes a deep breath before exhaling, her breath sending artifacts scattering. The formerly-pristine chimera fang shatters into bone fragments. "I've always wondered what happens if you attach a laser to a thresher, I mean according to the priests it brings about the end of the world but I'm pretty sure it's the Shade that makes that happen, not a weird rock creature with a laser. And, uh, sorry about your chimera fang. If it's any consolation, that thing barely passes for an artifact, and only because it's an old fossilised chunk. It's probably worth more as bone fragments." She sweeps out a claw, brushing the pieces off the stand. They clatter noisily to the ground.

"The dirt tile looks like it might have fallen out of a great building - though if you found it near this stuff I honestly have no clue what the building was. I mean, threshers get everywhere, so maybe you can discount the granite, but I don't think tiles and fossilised fangs go together. The runestone at least is pretty obvious, see the Light symbol is obviously there. It's old and primitive - see how the glow is fading and the edges of the rune aren't really straight? - but it's still definitely a runestone. I'm glad to say rock carving has become way more sophisticated since then, though, otherwise I'd be out of a job! As for the statue, well, watch this." The Imperial lowers her head to meet the statue, then promptly whacks it with a claw.

And jumps back when it lunges at her. "It's alive it's alive it's alive anyway these things used to guard temples or something oh no it's trying to kill me bYE!"
30286044_7AffP3W60irfkEb.pngjt3PpxV.png
[img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/239806/23980520_350.png?mtime=V19SmwACnCc.png[/img] Oresa's eyes widened almost comically when she spotted the artifacts laid out on the table. She began to click and hum excitedly, switching back and forth between draconic and her native tongue seemingly at random. "Oh, my my my my my, ~`m-m~m, no this is ~m~~~m~ and the rarity hmmm~---h--.`--_. Perhaps? No. ~~? No! --n---.`.h`.`-~'?" Suddenly she jerked her head up and looked the other coatl right in the eye. "Do you know what you have done?" Without waiting for an answer, Oresa forged on. "These artifacts obviously belonged in the tomb of a very prosperous figure in ancient times. See the delicate carving on the runestone? This was personalized, veeeery pricey. This dragon was either very wealthy or very holy for them to be buried with such a grand talisman. The rune must have been placed to grant them the Lightweaver's blessing, in order to light their way into the afterlife smoothly and to protect their tomb. The body is the link to the mortal coil, you see. Should anyone disturb it, they disturb a spirit at rest. A runestone is protective and will keep that link quite safe. Unless it is removed of course. And this tile, yes yes yes, what a carving what a find!" She stooped to peer more directly at the stone tablet. "I believe this tablet must have been a piece of a much larger masterpiece. A tableau like this would only be carved into the walls of a large and very important building. Oh good, oh good! Look at the depiction! This was obviously made with great care. Such a shame, such a shame." She clicked rather sadly, shaking her head at the dirt-covered tile. "It must have fallen off, and become trampled in the manner typical for items unfortunate enough to wind up on the floors. Amazing that anyone noticed it. Such a shame, such a shame, for what must have been a great work to become so utterly decrepit." Casting her gaze over the other items, her face fell into devastation. "Such great care --`-`-" she muttered quietly. Moving closer to the fangs, her mood lifted slightly. "Ah, this one is quite obvious is it not? These are the remains of a familiar, likely a chimera. In the past it was customary to bury one's familiars, yes plural some dragons kept more than one in those days, with one's body, so that they may accompany each other into the afterlife. Sweet, no? These fangs appear slightly older than the rest, so clearly the familiar left this plane long before its master. They must have cared very deeply to have its remains interred with theirs." Oresa gave a contented hum. Familiars were a bit of a soft spot for her. At last she looked to the statue. "A guardian," she declared without hesitation. "An enchanted statue made to guard the tomb from trespassers and grave robbers." At that last word she gave a hard stare at the other coatl. "This just proves it. Very wealthy or very holy. They must be, for such care to be taken to protect their resting place. An ancient guardian like this is a rare find, a very rare find in``~`deed." The darkly colored coatl fell into an inward state, staring at the artifacts and humming a thoughtful note. "Such care taken with this burial, such loving effort. All for naught. It is impossible to protect anything from time. We all end in the same way, we all go to the same place, the richest faes and poorest imperials are all the same in the end. Even a lavishly guarded tomb ends up in pieces at a gift shop." Oresa blinked a few times and looked back at the other coatl. "Thank you," she whispered, hushed and almost awed. "I am most graetful for this opportunity to peruse these pieces of our long and complicated history. Thank you." She repeated the words in her own native language, and without another word, walked off.
23980520_350.png?mtime=V19SmwACnCc.png

Oresa's eyes widened almost comically when she spotted the artifacts laid out on the table. She began to click and hum excitedly, switching back and forth between draconic and her native tongue seemingly at random.

"Oh, my my my my my, ~`m-m~m, no this is ~m~~~m~ and the rarity hmmm~---h--.`--_. Perhaps? No. ~~? No! --n---.`.h`.`-~'?" Suddenly she jerked her head up and looked the other coatl right in the eye. "Do you know what you have done?" Without waiting for an answer, Oresa forged on. "These artifacts obviously belonged in the tomb of a very prosperous figure in ancient times. See the delicate carving on the runestone? This was personalized, veeeery pricey. This dragon was either very wealthy or very holy for them to be buried with such a grand talisman. The rune must have been placed to grant them the Lightweaver's blessing, in order to light their way into the afterlife smoothly and to protect their tomb. The body is the link to the mortal coil, you see. Should anyone disturb it, they disturb a spirit at rest. A runestone is protective and will keep that link quite safe. Unless it is removed of course. And this tile, yes yes yes, what a carving what a find!"

She stooped to peer more directly at the stone tablet. "I believe this tablet must have been a piece of a much larger masterpiece. A tableau like this would only be carved into the walls of a large and very important building. Oh good, oh good! Look at the depiction! This was obviously made with great care. Such a shame, such a shame." She clicked rather sadly, shaking her head at the dirt-covered tile. "It must have fallen off, and become trampled in the manner typical for items unfortunate enough to wind up on the floors. Amazing that anyone noticed it. Such a shame, such a shame, for what must have been a great work to become so utterly decrepit."

Casting her gaze over the other items, her face fell into devastation. "Such great care --`-`-" she muttered quietly. Moving closer to the fangs, her mood lifted slightly. "Ah, this one is quite obvious is it not? These are the remains of a familiar, likely a chimera. In the past it was customary to bury one's familiars, yes plural some dragons kept more than one in those days, with one's body, so that they may accompany each other into the afterlife. Sweet, no? These fangs appear slightly older than the rest, so clearly the familiar left this plane long before its master. They must have cared very deeply to have its remains interred with theirs."

Oresa gave a contented hum. Familiars were a bit of a soft spot for her. At last she looked to the statue. "A guardian," she declared without hesitation. "An enchanted statue made to guard the tomb from trespassers and grave robbers." At that last word she gave a hard stare at the other coatl. "This just proves it. Very wealthy or very holy. They must be, for such care to be taken to protect their resting place. An ancient guardian like this is a rare find, a very rare find in``~`deed."

The darkly colored coatl fell into an inward state, staring at the artifacts and humming a thoughtful note. "Such care taken with this burial, such loving effort. All for naught. It is impossible to protect anything from time. We all end in the same way, we all go to the same place, the richest faes and poorest imperials are all the same in the end. Even a lavishly guarded tomb ends up in pieces at a gift shop." Oresa blinked a few times and looked back at the other coatl. "Thank you," she whispered, hushed and almost awed. "I am most graetful for this opportunity to peruse these pieces of our long and complicated history. Thank you." She repeated the words in her own native language, and without another word, walked off.
jUwfHJZ.pngevQiLxp.pnggiphy.gif
9dJ0IYz.png5fgEfWS.pngezgif-5-10c35f64cb.giftumblr_oznjvaReJs1w8xkufo7_250.pngtumblr_inline_nbaduayNyo1qg78ij.pngiirUfLO.pngj3jqCd5.pngLichtdrache.gif[/center]
(Thanks for giving me a little leeway! :>) [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=19624939] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/196250/19624939_350.png[/img] [/url] [item=Living Sculpture] Nightshade took his time to take in every detail of the statue; intrigued by how it was still alive... or pseudo-alive anyway. The statue was clearly very old, adorned with chips and scratches, but it stood tall and proud, spear gripped in its marble hand. It watched Nightshade as he circled it, expressionless features betraying nothing of its history. [item=Light Runestone] He noticed a Light Runestone gripped in the other hand of the statue, and reached out to take it. Without hesitation, the statue immediately positioned its spear at his throat, falling into a battle-ready stance, runestone clutched tightly to its chest. However, it was visibly shaking, as if the it could break apart at the slightest touch. Nightshade stared at the creature, and noticed its ear twitching every so often, and it dawned on him that it was frightened, and its stoic demeanor had crumbled. The statue was not spared the curse of age: it was weak, worn down by the traffic of time, and it knew it was. Yet, the runestone was of such importance, the statue was willing to sacrifice what remained of its strength to protect it. "Hmm..." He shot a glance to the Coatl at the table, who only shrugged, before carefully withdrawing his claw. He backed away, and the statue withdrew its spear, but continued to watch him. Feeling slight pity for the statue, Nightshade continued his investigation of the artifacts. Picking the tile up, he dusted off the dirt, and took note of the Coatl scratched into its surface, as well as the small writing underneath. [item=Dirt-Covered Tile] "Interesting. This carving is rough and eroded, but this is unmistakably a Coatl. And this writing... I believe it is old Draconian, I've seen its script many a time when I studied at The Observatory. Let me try to read it..." [i]*mumble* *mumble*[/i] "Interesting..." [i]*mumble*[/i] "Oh..." [i]*mumble* *mutter*[/i] "I see..." Nightshade paused for a moment, to gather his thoughts, before addressing the Coatl in front of him. "I believe this tile was used in a familiar housing unit, such as stables or the like. The tile indicates the owner and provides a list of any familiars under their command. On this tile, the owner was probably a Coatl, though their name is too scratched up to make out. They appear to have owned three familiars..." "...a Granite Thresher..." [item=Granite Chunk] "...a Chimera..." [item=Chimera Fangs] "...and our friend here, a Living Sculpture." [item=Living Sculpture] "Well, I think its safe to conclude that these are the remains of a long-dead Coatl's familiars. The Sculpture only survived due to its inorganic and simultaneously magical nature. The Light Runestone in its hands is probably the only possession of its master's it has ever found, and given the protective nature of such statues, it's probably guarding it fiercely out of love and respect for their deceased owner." Nightshade approached the Sculpture calmly, and gave it few cautious pets, to which the Sculpture eventually succumbed, relaxing and settling down on its pedestal, runestone still in its hands. "A tragedy, really. I hope you treat it like a proper familiar, instead of an object of display. Give it a new home, where it can be cared for. After eons of service, I think it deserves a break." "Or maybe, it'd like to come home with me." (PS Just going to say this here, but I thought the backstory I thought of for the Sculpture was pretty cute, so I wanted to use the stuff I wrote here for how it came into my clan! I hope that's okay ^-^ but tell me if it's not! I'm totally cool with it :P)
(Thanks for giving me a little leeway! :>)

19624939_350.png

Living Sculpture
Nightshade took his time to take in every detail of the statue; intrigued by how it was still alive... or pseudo-alive anyway.

The statue was clearly very old, adorned with chips and scratches, but it stood tall and proud, spear gripped in its marble hand. It watched Nightshade as he circled it, expressionless features betraying nothing of its history.

Light Runestone
He noticed a Light Runestone gripped in the other hand of the statue, and reached out to take it.

Without hesitation, the statue immediately positioned its spear at his throat, falling into a battle-ready stance, runestone clutched tightly to its chest.

However, it was visibly shaking, as if the it could break apart at the slightest touch. Nightshade stared at the creature, and noticed its ear twitching every so often, and it dawned on him that it was frightened, and its stoic demeanor had crumbled.

The statue was not spared the curse of age: it was weak, worn down by the traffic of time, and it knew it was. Yet, the runestone was of such importance, the statue was willing to sacrifice what remained of its strength to protect it.

"Hmm..." He shot a glance to the Coatl at the table, who only shrugged, before carefully withdrawing his claw. He backed away, and the statue withdrew its spear, but continued to watch him.

Feeling slight pity for the statue, Nightshade continued his investigation of the artifacts. Picking the tile up, he dusted off the dirt, and took note of the Coatl scratched into its surface, as well as the small writing underneath.

Dirt-Covered Tile
"Interesting. This carving is rough and eroded, but this is unmistakably a Coatl. And this writing... I believe it is old Draconian, I've seen its script many a time when I studied at The Observatory. Let me try to read it..."

*mumble* *mumble* "Interesting..." *mumble* "Oh..." *mumble* *mutter*

"I see..." Nightshade paused for a moment, to gather his thoughts, before addressing the Coatl in front of him.

"I believe this tile was used in a familiar housing unit, such as stables or the like. The tile indicates the owner and provides a list of any familiars under their command. On this tile, the owner was probably a Coatl, though their name is too scratched up to make out. They appear to have owned three familiars..."

"...a Granite Thresher..."
Granite Chunk

"...a Chimera..."
Chimera Fangs

"...and our friend here, a Living Sculpture."
Living Sculpture

"Well, I think its safe to conclude that these are the remains of a long-dead Coatl's familiars. The Sculpture only survived due to its inorganic and simultaneously magical nature. The Light Runestone in its hands is probably the only possession of its master's it has ever found, and given the protective nature of such statues, it's probably guarding it fiercely out of love and respect for their deceased owner."

Nightshade approached the Sculpture calmly, and gave it few cautious pets, to which the Sculpture eventually succumbed, relaxing and settling down on its pedestal, runestone still in its hands.

"A tragedy, really. I hope you treat it like a proper familiar, instead of an object of display. Give it a new home, where it can be cared for. After eons of service, I think it deserves a break."

"Or maybe, it'd like to come home with me."

(PS Just going to say this here, but I thought the backstory I thought of for the Sculpture was pretty cute, so I wanted to use the stuff I wrote here for how it came into my clan! I hope that's okay ^-^ but tell me if it's not! I'm totally cool with it :P)
cloud_bank_1_by_the_fox_of_wonders-d9vniwg.pnga2qMzgN.gif
Just want to preface this with I'm no longer pinging for recorded entries. There's so many of you! The entry sheet is available on the front page for anyone who wants to double-check. Also, prizes will be a little delayed today--I'll deliver them in a few hours or so. @Draginraptor This is completely fine! You've addressed the prompt, and that's all that's required :) [center][img]http://i.imgur.com/uQkdBVJ.png[/img] [size=6]June 20[/size] Congrats to @Lundlaeva for winning today's prize! @UserOfShadows and @Wookiara are today's raffle winners. [quote]View Lundlaeva's entry [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/1896635/6#post_20874701]here[/url]. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=20667564] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/206676/20667564_350.png[/img] [/url] Nimmi delicately takes the light in her hands, turning it to see its every angle. "Is it new? I don't recall ever having seen one of these before. Maybe it's a regional taste. Still, it's quite fascinating, and I thank you for your aid. I wouldn't have expected hatchlings to enjoy the disembodied glowing head of their deity. Here--Have a little something for your trouble." [item=Gilded Decorative Chest] [/quote] [quote] [item=Chalcedony Snipper] A Chalcedony Snipper snaps its claws at @Wonderlast's Donalbain as he tries to lick its crystals. Somehow the poor thing ends up following the band home. Its claws, after all, provide for excellent percussion. View Wonderlast's entry [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/1896635/7#20879348]here[/url].[/quote] [/center] [size=1] @MagpieScholar @SinMachine @CandyPrincess @theroiprocepios @hat17 @Valoria @raynefall @mycologist @Draginraptor @Wookiara @UserOfShadows @Naga @iamlurking @PrincessNight @Tsukistar @Cngx @phooka @Reyka @Tria91 @UnknownConcept @WorldOfOurOwn @Katsuokai @Shadowdawn199 @IronPen @EmeraldDelta @Basilius @winterbell @KraalofBhaga @Scatterspark @LadyRiat [/size]
Just want to preface this with I'm no longer pinging for recorded entries. There's so many of you! The entry sheet is available on the front page for anyone who wants to double-check. Also, prizes will be a little delayed today--I'll deliver them in a few hours or so.

@Draginraptor This is completely fine! You've addressed the prompt, and that's all that's required :)
uQkdBVJ.png

June 20

Congrats to @Lundlaeva for winning today's prize! @UserOfShadows and @Wookiara are today's raffle winners.
Quote:
View Lundlaeva's entry here.

20667564_350.png

Nimmi delicately takes the light in her hands, turning it to see its every angle. "Is it new? I don't recall ever having seen one of these before. Maybe it's a regional taste. Still, it's quite fascinating, and I thank you for your aid. I wouldn't have expected hatchlings to enjoy the disembodied glowing head of their deity. Here--Have a little something for your trouble."

Gilded Decorative Chest
Quote:
Chalcedony Snipper

A Chalcedony Snipper snaps its claws at @Wonderlast's Donalbain as he tries to lick its crystals. Somehow the poor thing ends up following the band home. Its claws, after all, provide for excellent percussion.

View Wonderlast's entry here.

@MagpieScholar @SinMachine @CandyPrincess @theroiprocepios @hat17 @Valoria @raynefall @mycologist @Draginraptor @Wookiara @UserOfShadows @Naga @iamlurking @PrincessNight @Tsukistar @Cngx @phooka @Reyka @Tria91 @UnknownConcept @WorldOfOurOwn @Katsuokai @Shadowdawn199 @IronPen @EmeraldDelta @Basilius @winterbell @KraalofBhaga @Scatterspark @LadyRiat
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23 24