Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Common Draconic [A Conlang Project]
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 38 39
@Banjo

*cough cough* Llanai and I

We spent a year screaming about grammar and you're gonna do this to me I cannot believe it.
@Banjo

*cough cough* Llanai and I

We spent a year screaming about grammar and you're gonna do this to me I cannot believe it.
sig_top2_by_soenkan-dbx7qvx.gif
sig_buttons_m_by_soenkan-dbx7qwu.gifsig_buttons_a_by_soenkan-dbx7qx6.gifsig_buttons_w_by_soenkan-dbx7qw5.gifsig_buttons_t2_by_soenkan-dbx7qwp.gifsig_buttons_u_by_soenkan-dbx7qwd.gif
@Llanai I'm an expert in ursegal not english bucko
@Llanai I'm an expert in ursegal not english bucko
QQzuQIK.pngdF1rw1e.png
7I3clLF.pngWn7rTGB.png
sWI3AkK.pngXVIZS1P.png
@Banjo I actually missed the doc where it said this language is called Ursegal. XD Is that the case, then?
@Banjo I actually missed the doc where it said this language is called Ursegal. XD Is that the case, then?
she/her | GMT-5 | Check out my dragons for sale!

tumblr_inline_o13ntkHqks1ts73zp_540.png xZjCTKj.png
!!!!!! This is so amazing! I can't wait to start learning this!!
@mitsuara @jumpscared
!!!!!! This is so amazing! I can't wait to start learning this!!
@mitsuara @jumpscared
pwyw_headshots_button_by_mitsuara-da3a81h.pngdanaus_icon_by_mitsuara-dag8xj5.pngcouple_adopt_button_by_mitsuara-dbbg80f.png
@Banjo I am absolutely IN LOVE with this!!! :O I've been studying it for the past hour in an attempt to hopefully translate one of my lore documents in the future (which is proving difficult, mostly since I'm still trying to wrap my head around sentences with non-action verbs). That said, I do have a question, particularly regarding location names that are made up of other nouns/verbs.

How are these location names made? I notice that Mortovarat, "The Land of Hunger and Death," seems to share some syllables with Tovak ("Death") and the word for Mirrors, Moritsau ("Hungry/Devouring Plague"). Assuming that this means Mor is another word for "Hungry" and Tova is a shortening of "Death," is Rat another term for Rura, "Land," or is it it's own word that means something similar, like "place" or "location"? (Additionally, is Ursegal known to have synonyms?) If nouns are shortened or altered in the creation of location names, is there system or a set of rules to it? What about location names with verbs in them, like Ruvenhaec, "Land shaped by Winds"? (note: the word haec, "To destroy" is pretty obvious in it, but the rest I'm fuzzy about :3;; )

Mostly asking this for the purpose of creating clan names. For example, since my clan's name, Dawn's Dusk, would be messy and almost unusable with it's current possessive noun, I'd like to come up with a name for it essentially meaning "The Land of Sunrise and Sunset." Now, I think if I were to put that into a sentence it would be "Kidhel ta Rura ta Sajem tra Kbujem gat," but uh, I don't... really want to use an entire sentence when trying to say "[Dawn's Dusk] is currently doing [x]," but I also don't want to be as unspecific as "The clan is doing [x]."

TL;DR I want to make a location name for my clan. How do I do that while still abiding by the rules of Ursegal?
@Banjo I am absolutely IN LOVE with this!!! :O I've been studying it for the past hour in an attempt to hopefully translate one of my lore documents in the future (which is proving difficult, mostly since I'm still trying to wrap my head around sentences with non-action verbs). That said, I do have a question, particularly regarding location names that are made up of other nouns/verbs.

How are these location names made? I notice that Mortovarat, "The Land of Hunger and Death," seems to share some syllables with Tovak ("Death") and the word for Mirrors, Moritsau ("Hungry/Devouring Plague"). Assuming that this means Mor is another word for "Hungry" and Tova is a shortening of "Death," is Rat another term for Rura, "Land," or is it it's own word that means something similar, like "place" or "location"? (Additionally, is Ursegal known to have synonyms?) If nouns are shortened or altered in the creation of location names, is there system or a set of rules to it? What about location names with verbs in them, like Ruvenhaec, "Land shaped by Winds"? (note: the word haec, "To destroy" is pretty obvious in it, but the rest I'm fuzzy about :3;; )

Mostly asking this for the purpose of creating clan names. For example, since my clan's name, Dawn's Dusk, would be messy and almost unusable with it's current possessive noun, I'd like to come up with a name for it essentially meaning "The Land of Sunrise and Sunset." Now, I think if I were to put that into a sentence it would be "Kidhel ta Rura ta Sajem tra Kbujem gat," but uh, I don't... really want to use an entire sentence when trying to say "[Dawn's Dusk] is currently doing [x]," but I also don't want to be as unspecific as "The clan is doing [x]."

TL;DR I want to make a location name for my clan. How do I do that while still abiding by the rules of Ursegal?
Badge.png
@Merethic

The naming inconsistencies are entirely my fault and are based in my trying to simulate the passing of time. When making the words I assume that they were compound words that were streamlined by speakers over time. This is the same phenomenon that produced the word cubbord from "cup board" and involves speaking the words over and over until syllables and stops grow to cumbersome and drop themselves. This makes for lots of irregularities. Also the difference between mirrors and the abiding boneyard can be traced to the times the words were made. They're roughly nine months apart! I actually didn't realize they had the same roots.

The term ursegal is a recent creation, which is why it doesn't show up in the docs anywhere. It's derived from "Ur" the number one and "Saghe" to speak.

@Merethic

The naming inconsistencies are entirely my fault and are based in my trying to simulate the passing of time. When making the words I assume that they were compound words that were streamlined by speakers over time. This is the same phenomenon that produced the word cubbord from "cup board" and involves speaking the words over and over until syllables and stops grow to cumbersome and drop themselves. This makes for lots of irregularities. Also the difference between mirrors and the abiding boneyard can be traced to the times the words were made. They're roughly nine months apart! I actually didn't realize they had the same roots.

The term ursegal is a recent creation, which is why it doesn't show up in the docs anywhere. It's derived from "Ur" the number one and "Saghe" to speak.

sig_top2_by_soenkan-dbx7qvx.gif
sig_buttons_m_by_soenkan-dbx7qwu.gifsig_buttons_a_by_soenkan-dbx7qx6.gifsig_buttons_w_by_soenkan-dbx7qw5.gifsig_buttons_t2_by_soenkan-dbx7qwp.gifsig_buttons_u_by_soenkan-dbx7qwd.gif
@Banjo
Your dedication is admirable! I love etymology, and this is so much fun to poke around through and piecing together the grammar from the literal translations in the dictionary is kind of fun!
I'm mostly just looking for neat words right now. In particular, I noticed you lacked words for seasons - I'm not sure if you have plans for these, but I'd love to see them when you do. (It seems no-one else has a draconic word for Autumn, I have looked)

@Banjo
Your dedication is admirable! I love etymology, and this is so much fun to poke around through and piecing together the grammar from the literal translations in the dictionary is kind of fun!
I'm mostly just looking for neat words right now. In particular, I noticed you lacked words for seasons - I'm not sure if you have plans for these, but I'd love to see them when you do. (It seems no-one else has a draconic word for Autumn, I have looked)

fA9EDFQ.png x9ADy1B.png dnuQeRf.png
@Banjo Whoa, this is amazing! Such perfect timing too x)
@Banjo Whoa, this is amazing! Such perfect timing too x)
tumblr_inline_nwui74LM0m1t7d5o3_500.gif
holy!!! oh my gosh!!!

i love languages. so. much. oh my gosh. this looks amazing, I can't wait to look into it in more detail, but I have too much homework right now, dies

@Banjo @Llanai - would either of you be open to do one on one session/s with me? out of curiosity (I'm so sorry if this is stated somewhere, I just skimmed over the first page), how well can you guys communicate with the language? how easy is it to have a full-on conversation with someone?
holy!!! oh my gosh!!!

i love languages. so. much. oh my gosh. this looks amazing, I can't wait to look into it in more detail, but I have too much homework right now, dies

@Banjo @Llanai - would either of you be open to do one on one session/s with me? out of curiosity (I'm so sorry if this is stated somewhere, I just skimmed over the first page), how well can you guys communicate with the language? how easy is it to have a full-on conversation with someone?
A tiny Brad the Buffsprite flexes while smiling!
[quote name="Kaegro" date=2016-05-22 23:09:09] @ Banjo Your dedication is admirable! I love etymology, and this is so much fun to poke around through and piecing together the grammar from the literal translations in the dictionary is kind of fun! I'm mostly just looking for neat words right now. In particular, I noticed you lacked words for seasons - I'm not sure if you have plans for these, but I'd love to see them when you do. (It seems no-one else has a draconic word for Autumn, I have looked) [/quote] I am curious about this as well.
Kaegro wrote on 2016-05-22:
@ Banjo
I am curious about this as well.
tihutbH.png
lAvpyOQ.png

ZwbGqUa.png

rPaLIxa.png

J7D1quC.png

FObX7rS.png

YMPbu9R.png
53e090906bf1abf526e496f785950d62fc9cfa93.png
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 38 39