Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Fractured - a mini-Nuzlocke
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Lan

Lan, babbu, please try to stay out of trouble? D:

@Cien, I replied to your PM <3
Lan

Lan, babbu, please try to stay out of trouble? D:

@Cien, I replied to your PM <3
Small update! I won't ping you all to keep bothering you guys to a minimum, but I wanted to make a post.

I went to the hospital and was told that I have carpal tunnel in both wrists, so I have braces on both hands and until I get a new keyboard set up I won't be able to update. Sorry! It should only be another day or so (hopefully). c:

I can still type and everything, I just need to keep it to a minimum until I get a healthier setup for my arms haha. ;;;

Thanks for understanding, and sorry to keep you all at that cliffhanger. >w<

edit for typos sobs
Small update! I won't ping you all to keep bothering you guys to a minimum, but I wanted to make a post.

I went to the hospital and was told that I have carpal tunnel in both wrists, so I have braces on both hands and until I get a new keyboard set up I won't be able to update. Sorry! It should only be another day or so (hopefully). c:

I can still type and everything, I just need to keep it to a minimum until I get a healthier setup for my arms haha. ;;;

Thanks for understanding, and sorry to keep you all at that cliffhanger. >w<

edit for typos sobs
hatchery%20banner%20smaller.png
imperials, red and gold, triple midnight+ & storms dancers!
@Digimon11 @Axqu @Tsukistar @Neige @Hanelli @Nimphy

Sorry for the delay! I went to the doctor a couple days ago and was told that I have carpal tunnel in both wrists, so I had to reorganize my typing setup and get a new keyboard, as well as wear these wrist braces all the time. >w>

Anyway, here's the next part! c:

I.
Day 4 (part 2) - The Shifting Expanse. Awareness 253/250

“… an … Lan!”

I groaned and slowly opened my eyes, struggling for a moment. Gods my head throbbed. I was lying on the floor of the gathering area, one of the dusty cushions under my head, and when my vision focused again Keir was sitting right in front of me, face in mine, staring at me with a furrowed brow.

“Okay?” She asked in a small voice.

“Woah, you spoke!” was the first thing out of my mouth. I heard a familiar laugh from behind me, and I twisted around to look. “Rivis!”

The silver Coatl grinned, but it didn’t seem quite as sincere and wide as it usually did. Behind him, I could see Sulis and Aine, two maize Imperials, shifting nervously, but Aine stilled and smiled gently when she saw that I was awake.

“She’s been speaking a little while you were out,” Rivis said, his Coatl accent nearly undetectable due to the use of his Arcane magic. Keir shrunk back and hopped over my arm, sitting behind it and clutching my feathers.

“’S funny when he talks,” she muttered, words still wavering a bit. She must have been feeling the magic he was using. I just laughed lightly and patted her on the head.

“Someone’s being a good dad,” Rivis teased, “you might give Nox a run for his money.”

“No way,” I said, “I have no idea what I’m doing.” I paused, feeling the throbbing in my skull, and then glanced around. “Er, so what exactly happened? I remember that we came into the room, and then … ?”

“Oh,” Rivis said nonchalantly, “that was me. Sulis, Aine, and I were doing a sweep of the lair and I thought you were an intruder so I knocked you out. My bad.”

I stared at Rivis for a moment before sighing and shaking my head. “Where’s everyone else? Why’s the lair empty?”

Rivis’ expression darkened, and Sulis and Aine glanced away. “After you left, Dian managed to hold us together until all of the hunting and gathering parties came back. Even with most of us here, we had to retreat to take care of the injured. But every time we’ve tried to come back, we’ve been attacked by harpies.” He sighed deeply, crossing his arms. “We were able to talk to a neighboring clan, and the harpies haven’t so much as breathed on them. Dian thinks we’ve done something to offend them, but for the life of me I can’t figure out what.”

“Rivis,” Aine added in quietly, “perhaps we should consider –“

No, Aine,” the Coatl cut her off, “that’s not an option.”

My gaze flicked between the two, waiting for an explanation. They seemed to be having a silent argument, so I turned to Sulis, Aine’s mate. He exhaled through his nose, brow furrowed.

“Aine wants to attempt to speak with a harpy and ask why they’re attacking us,” he rumbled, snapping Aine out of her silent pleading with Rivis by resting his tail on top of hers, “and Rivis is … against the idea.”

“That’s an understatement,” Rivis growled, “I tried, and it wouldn’t tell me jack. So until I find Neia, it’s blast first ask questions later.” He anticipated my next question and kept talking. “Neia’s been missing ever since the attack. We’ve managed to hunt down most of the missing dragons, but we still haven’t found Neia and some of the younger Imperials.”

“As for the rest of us, Dian has ordered us to split up for the time being until she and Torrent can figure out what to do to get the harpies to stop attacking us or until the harpies lose interest. Your parents went with Ororo and her new consort, probably trying to find you.”

“And Nox and Kihone?” I asked, glancing down at Keir. The whole conversation seemed to be going over her head.

Rivis hummed, and I couldn’t tell if he was muttering something in Coatl or not. “Nox’s leg was pretty messed up. Ruin and Mire were trying to heal everyone, the poor Faes, but they were stretched pretty thin and couldn’t completely heal his leg. Nox and Kihone went with Apocalypse and Eden once they found out that their little one was with you.” Rivis gave me a long look. “Nox is in no condition to travel much, let alone fight. Guess that means they trust you.”

I let all of the information sink in, sitting quietly while my clanmates let me think. I had no idea we had somehow earned the wrath of the harpies, but they seemed intent on hunting each of us down. There was no way I’d be able to find Nox and Kihone or my parents easily. Keir made a small noise and I glanced down at her for a moment before looking back up at Rivis. “What should I do, then?”

He looked just as concerned as I did. “I can’t tell you, kid. You’ve got a couple of choices, I guess; try to find your parents, or hers, or you guys could stick wi – ah, hell!

Rivis was staring at something behind me, and I sat up quickly, gathering Keir in my arms and facing the entrance of the cavern. Standing in the entranceway, blocking our path out, was a harpy! Aine shot a bolt of lightning at it, but it screeched loudly before it passed out.

“Guess we’re done talking,” Rivis muttered before turning to us, “we’ve got to get out of here. C’mon!”

He started towards the entrance, and I followed, picking up speed as he did. Keir clung to my feathers as we followed Rivis, stopping when he let out of string of notes, something that sounded suspiciously like swearing in Coatl. Not a moment later, he blasted a harpy with Arcane magic as it emerged from a passageway. I was starting to hear more screeching, though, and caught Aine’s eye nervously. How many of them were in here?!

I heard a ting! sound and then a roar from behind me and turned to see Sulis slashing at a harpy that had tried to attack his armored tail, and I felt Rivis back up. We were all standing shoulder to wing in the small corridor, and harpies were emerging from all of the rooms and connecting passageways around us. Keir whimpered and buried her head in my chest, and I started sparking. I could feel Aine doing the same, and she leaned over a bit to murmur, “be mindful of Sulis.” I nodded back in response, having forgotten that Sulis was vulnerable to Lightning magic.

Suddenly, Rivis let loose a blast of Arcane magic that passed through us harmlessly, but forced the harpies away. “Now! Let’s go!” he shouted, and I took off after him, Sulis and Aine behind me.

As we flew through the lair, Aine and I blasting harpies with Lightning and Sulis keeping them away from us while Rivis led, I could feel the hope I had coming back to the lair crumble. My heart sunk as we fought our way through the lair. We … we weren’t coming back any time soon, were we?

The exit was close, and I could see the fading sunlight streaming through and shot off a particularly big bolt of lightning. “Go!” Rivis growled out, shoving Aine and me towards the exit. We shot out, hovering in the air outside, and then heard a roar and a string of very angry, threatening musical notes. I hadn’t realized that was possible. I was about to head back in when Aine stopped me.

“You have to go,” she said, her voice strained, “you have a little one to think about too. Keep her – and yourself – safe.”

“Where do I go, though?” I barely managed to get the words out. This was all too similar to the first time I’d fled the lair.

“Out of the Shifting Expanse,” Aine said, wrapping Keir and me in her wing briefly, “keep going until you’re safe.”

“O-okay,” I said, voice nearly a whisper. “I-I’ll keep Keir safe.”

Aine’s eyes softened. “Keir, hm? You’ll be fine.” She turned sharply when there was another roar. “Go, Lan. Gods be with you two.”

With that, Aine flew back into the lair with a roar of her own, and I was frozen for a moment.

Keir was shaking in my arms, head buried in my chest and still gripping her Blue Quartz. I glanced at her, but when I looked back up a harpy was flying towards me, screeching! I growled and spun around towards the Highland Scrub before taking off. A screech from the harpy behind me was echoed by several more, and then I heard wings beating behind me. Electricity raced along my feathers as I flew, the sunlight fading rapidly.

I hoped to any god that would listen that we’d all be alright.
@Digimon11 @Axqu @Tsukistar @Neige @Hanelli @Nimphy

Sorry for the delay! I went to the doctor a couple days ago and was told that I have carpal tunnel in both wrists, so I had to reorganize my typing setup and get a new keyboard, as well as wear these wrist braces all the time. >w>

Anyway, here's the next part! c:

I.
Day 4 (part 2) - The Shifting Expanse. Awareness 253/250

“… an … Lan!”

I groaned and slowly opened my eyes, struggling for a moment. Gods my head throbbed. I was lying on the floor of the gathering area, one of the dusty cushions under my head, and when my vision focused again Keir was sitting right in front of me, face in mine, staring at me with a furrowed brow.

“Okay?” She asked in a small voice.

“Woah, you spoke!” was the first thing out of my mouth. I heard a familiar laugh from behind me, and I twisted around to look. “Rivis!”

The silver Coatl grinned, but it didn’t seem quite as sincere and wide as it usually did. Behind him, I could see Sulis and Aine, two maize Imperials, shifting nervously, but Aine stilled and smiled gently when she saw that I was awake.

“She’s been speaking a little while you were out,” Rivis said, his Coatl accent nearly undetectable due to the use of his Arcane magic. Keir shrunk back and hopped over my arm, sitting behind it and clutching my feathers.

“’S funny when he talks,” she muttered, words still wavering a bit. She must have been feeling the magic he was using. I just laughed lightly and patted her on the head.

“Someone’s being a good dad,” Rivis teased, “you might give Nox a run for his money.”

“No way,” I said, “I have no idea what I’m doing.” I paused, feeling the throbbing in my skull, and then glanced around. “Er, so what exactly happened? I remember that we came into the room, and then … ?”

“Oh,” Rivis said nonchalantly, “that was me. Sulis, Aine, and I were doing a sweep of the lair and I thought you were an intruder so I knocked you out. My bad.”

I stared at Rivis for a moment before sighing and shaking my head. “Where’s everyone else? Why’s the lair empty?”

Rivis’ expression darkened, and Sulis and Aine glanced away. “After you left, Dian managed to hold us together until all of the hunting and gathering parties came back. Even with most of us here, we had to retreat to take care of the injured. But every time we’ve tried to come back, we’ve been attacked by harpies.” He sighed deeply, crossing his arms. “We were able to talk to a neighboring clan, and the harpies haven’t so much as breathed on them. Dian thinks we’ve done something to offend them, but for the life of me I can’t figure out what.”

“Rivis,” Aine added in quietly, “perhaps we should consider –“

No, Aine,” the Coatl cut her off, “that’s not an option.”

My gaze flicked between the two, waiting for an explanation. They seemed to be having a silent argument, so I turned to Sulis, Aine’s mate. He exhaled through his nose, brow furrowed.

“Aine wants to attempt to speak with a harpy and ask why they’re attacking us,” he rumbled, snapping Aine out of her silent pleading with Rivis by resting his tail on top of hers, “and Rivis is … against the idea.”

“That’s an understatement,” Rivis growled, “I tried, and it wouldn’t tell me jack. So until I find Neia, it’s blast first ask questions later.” He anticipated my next question and kept talking. “Neia’s been missing ever since the attack. We’ve managed to hunt down most of the missing dragons, but we still haven’t found Neia and some of the younger Imperials.”

“As for the rest of us, Dian has ordered us to split up for the time being until she and Torrent can figure out what to do to get the harpies to stop attacking us or until the harpies lose interest. Your parents went with Ororo and her new consort, probably trying to find you.”

“And Nox and Kihone?” I asked, glancing down at Keir. The whole conversation seemed to be going over her head.

Rivis hummed, and I couldn’t tell if he was muttering something in Coatl or not. “Nox’s leg was pretty messed up. Ruin and Mire were trying to heal everyone, the poor Faes, but they were stretched pretty thin and couldn’t completely heal his leg. Nox and Kihone went with Apocalypse and Eden once they found out that their little one was with you.” Rivis gave me a long look. “Nox is in no condition to travel much, let alone fight. Guess that means they trust you.”

I let all of the information sink in, sitting quietly while my clanmates let me think. I had no idea we had somehow earned the wrath of the harpies, but they seemed intent on hunting each of us down. There was no way I’d be able to find Nox and Kihone or my parents easily. Keir made a small noise and I glanced down at her for a moment before looking back up at Rivis. “What should I do, then?”

He looked just as concerned as I did. “I can’t tell you, kid. You’ve got a couple of choices, I guess; try to find your parents, or hers, or you guys could stick wi – ah, hell!

Rivis was staring at something behind me, and I sat up quickly, gathering Keir in my arms and facing the entrance of the cavern. Standing in the entranceway, blocking our path out, was a harpy! Aine shot a bolt of lightning at it, but it screeched loudly before it passed out.

“Guess we’re done talking,” Rivis muttered before turning to us, “we’ve got to get out of here. C’mon!”

He started towards the entrance, and I followed, picking up speed as he did. Keir clung to my feathers as we followed Rivis, stopping when he let out of string of notes, something that sounded suspiciously like swearing in Coatl. Not a moment later, he blasted a harpy with Arcane magic as it emerged from a passageway. I was starting to hear more screeching, though, and caught Aine’s eye nervously. How many of them were in here?!

I heard a ting! sound and then a roar from behind me and turned to see Sulis slashing at a harpy that had tried to attack his armored tail, and I felt Rivis back up. We were all standing shoulder to wing in the small corridor, and harpies were emerging from all of the rooms and connecting passageways around us. Keir whimpered and buried her head in my chest, and I started sparking. I could feel Aine doing the same, and she leaned over a bit to murmur, “be mindful of Sulis.” I nodded back in response, having forgotten that Sulis was vulnerable to Lightning magic.

Suddenly, Rivis let loose a blast of Arcane magic that passed through us harmlessly, but forced the harpies away. “Now! Let’s go!” he shouted, and I took off after him, Sulis and Aine behind me.

As we flew through the lair, Aine and I blasting harpies with Lightning and Sulis keeping them away from us while Rivis led, I could feel the hope I had coming back to the lair crumble. My heart sunk as we fought our way through the lair. We … we weren’t coming back any time soon, were we?

The exit was close, and I could see the fading sunlight streaming through and shot off a particularly big bolt of lightning. “Go!” Rivis growled out, shoving Aine and me towards the exit. We shot out, hovering in the air outside, and then heard a roar and a string of very angry, threatening musical notes. I hadn’t realized that was possible. I was about to head back in when Aine stopped me.

“You have to go,” she said, her voice strained, “you have a little one to think about too. Keep her – and yourself – safe.”

“Where do I go, though?” I barely managed to get the words out. This was all too similar to the first time I’d fled the lair.

“Out of the Shifting Expanse,” Aine said, wrapping Keir and me in her wing briefly, “keep going until you’re safe.”

“O-okay,” I said, voice nearly a whisper. “I-I’ll keep Keir safe.”

Aine’s eyes softened. “Keir, hm? You’ll be fine.” She turned sharply when there was another roar. “Go, Lan. Gods be with you two.”

With that, Aine flew back into the lair with a roar of her own, and I was frozen for a moment.

Keir was shaking in my arms, head buried in my chest and still gripping her Blue Quartz. I glanced at her, but when I looked back up a harpy was flying towards me, screeching! I growled and spun around towards the Highland Scrub before taking off. A screech from the harpy behind me was echoed by several more, and then I heard wings beating behind me. Electricity raced along my feathers as I flew, the sunlight fading rapidly.

I hoped to any god that would listen that we’d all be alright.
Oh...hey...it's you with the pretty hatchery. And an excellent nuzlocke. Could I be pinged for new updates? @cien
Oh...hey...it's you with the pretty hatchery. And an excellent nuzlocke. Could I be pinged for new updates? @cien
@gunslinger
Waahh, thank you! That's so nice of you to say! ;w; And of course - adding you now!
@gunslinger
Waahh, thank you! That's so nice of you to say! ;w; And of course - adding you now!
@Cien

Don't worry about the updates - take care of your health first, that's the most important thing! ó.ò

Although I must say that I really enjoyed this update xD It's good to know that the rest of the clan is still alive and I'm really curious to see what Lan is going to do now! Hehe, and little Keir is cute x3
@Cien

Don't worry about the updates - take care of your health first, that's the most important thing! ó.ò

Although I must say that I really enjoyed this update xD It's good to know that the rest of the clan is still alive and I'm really curious to see what Lan is going to do now! Hehe, and little Keir is cute x3
natureh5.png
@Neige
Ahh, thank you! I will! :'D

And thank you again! I'm really glad that you enjoyed it - I was a little worried there was too much explaining going on haha. c:
Hehe, I love Keir - but the poor dear is just getting carried to and fro running all over the place!
@Neige
Ahh, thank you! I will! :'D

And thank you again! I'm really glad that you enjoyed it - I was a little worried there was too much explaining going on haha. c:
Hehe, I love Keir - but the poor dear is just getting carried to and fro running all over the place!
@Digimon11 @Axqu @Tsukistar @Neige @Hanelli @Nimphy @gunslinger

Two things that kept slipping my mind but I’d like to share!

First, I still have Lan’s sister lying around in my lair. She left the clan before the harpy attack, but other than that she’s a blank slate. Keep in mind that she is not a Storm Dancer as she doesn’t fit the secondary color qualifications! If anyone wants her let me know, but otherwise I’ll probably train and exalt her.

Second, I forgot I had this but I actually wrote up a longer, more detailed version of the initial attack on the lair. Does anyone have any interest in reading this? I can set up a side tumblr and stick it on there. :P

I.
Day 5 - The Shifting Expanse. Distance Traveled 38/144

We flew mostly all night.

I didn’t fly straight towards the Highland Scrub in an attempt to shake the harpies off our tail, instead flying in a roundabout way through the Carrion Canyon. As night fell, so did the temperature, and Keir started shivering in my stiff arms. I slowed and untied the meager amount of belongings I had, taking out the scraps of fabric and wrapping them around Keir. I’m sure I lost some … things, but I couldn’t find it in myself to care.

With Keir wrapped up in a makeshift blanket and sleeping in my arms, I flew on silently. The harpies kept following me, but fell behind at some point.

Flying silently while Keir slept gave me plenty of time to think. Things … certainly hadn’t turned out the way I had hoped. I had been imagining coming back to the lair and being greeted by my parents and Keir’s, helping with the reconstruction, sitting with everyone and eating meals together, chatting with Karri and Nilus … but now …

But now I had no idea when that would happen again. We were all spread out now, avoiding the harpies while we waited for Dian and Torrent to try to make it safe for us to return. Things would be different by the time that happened – we’d be older, and maybe some of us would leave if it took too long … and I could only pray that we’d all still be healthy.

My thoughts continued in somewhat of a downward spiral throughout the night, body on autopilot, until the rising sun woke Keir up and she shifted in my arms, yawning and stretching. She turned in her makeshift blanket and looked up at me with intelligent cyan eyes.

“Flying too long,” she said quietly, putting a hand on my arm and then pointing at the ground, “okay?”

I laughed weakly before obliging her, flying down to a rocky outcrop. Part of it made a sort of half shelter, and I landed inside, setting Keir down once I had checked for monsters. I plopped down beside her, silent as I tried to catch my breath, and then glanced at her as she moved the scraps of fabric around. “Since when did you learn to talk?” I asked with a half forced smile, trying to keep the conversation light and cheery.

Keir just stopped and stared at me, and it felt like she could see right through me but she just answered in the same quiet, wavering voice. “Listened … and r-rem’bered.”

“Hm,” I hummed, smile widening. She was bright, and picked things up quickly. “’Remembered.’ That’s the word I think you’re looking for.”

“Re-remem … bered. Remembered?” Her nose scrunched up as she tried her best to parrot me.

I laughed a little. “You got it,” I said, “next, how about …”

Just as I thought, Keir picked things up at an astonishing pace. I spent most of the day talking with her about everything I could think of, bar the lair. She didn’t ask about it either, but I felt like that was only because she didn’t understand what had happened. As far as she was concerned, flying from cave to cave was a normal lifestyle, and it had just so happened that we had been chased from that one.

I told Keir about everything I could think of – about Stormcatcher, about the Shifting Expanse, what little I knew about other regions, about Storm Dancers … Eventually she did ask about Rivis, Sulis, and Aine, so I described them each to her. Rivis is a sarcastic son of a – can’t say that word – er, Rivis comes off as teasing and carefree, but he’s actually really smart. Sulis is somewhat serious and doesn’t seem very friendly, but he’s really great and apparently he’s really into reading old scrolls. Aine is sweet and a pacifist, but at the same time she has a wicked sharp mind and sometimes an equally sharp tongue.

After that, Keir tried to ask about what was going on back at the lair, but I got quiet and felt the urge to cry, so I told her we’d talk about it later. She seemed to get it, and instead grabbed my hand and dragged me out of the little shelter, only saying, “let’s go find things.”

So we went off and … found things. Mostly junk, like always, but Keir seemed to be having a good time. We haven’t found any more Blue Quartz since we found the piece that Keir always carries around. She wandered too close to a path at one point, though, and when I saw a Bumble heading towards her I saw red and shot a Shock Bolt at it. Probably overkill, and I’m sure I startled Keir, but it was all forgotten when I found some Honeycomb Fragments the Bumble was carrying and handed it to her.

Keir carefully tasted the piece I gave her, and then her eyes widened comically and she ate it quickly. I laughed when she gave me a pleading look and handed her another. I wasn’t prepared for her next words, though.

“Thanks! You're the best, Dad!”

I jerked slightly, my eyes wide as I stared down at the little Skydancer. She must’ve picked that up from Rivis when he was teasing me. “By the Boss! I’m not that much older than you! Just call me Lan, alright?”

She nodded, undeterred, and happily munched away at her honeycomb. I was quiet as she ate. I had no idea where either of our parents were, and if I had to leave the Shifting Expanse, it was unlikely that I’d run into them soon.

With that realization, I exhaled a shuddering breath that made Keir stop eating and look at me.

… I was really going to have to raise her, wasn’t I?
@Digimon11 @Axqu @Tsukistar @Neige @Hanelli @Nimphy @gunslinger

Two things that kept slipping my mind but I’d like to share!

First, I still have Lan’s sister lying around in my lair. She left the clan before the harpy attack, but other than that she’s a blank slate. Keep in mind that she is not a Storm Dancer as she doesn’t fit the secondary color qualifications! If anyone wants her let me know, but otherwise I’ll probably train and exalt her.

Second, I forgot I had this but I actually wrote up a longer, more detailed version of the initial attack on the lair. Does anyone have any interest in reading this? I can set up a side tumblr and stick it on there. :P

I.
Day 5 - The Shifting Expanse. Distance Traveled 38/144

We flew mostly all night.

I didn’t fly straight towards the Highland Scrub in an attempt to shake the harpies off our tail, instead flying in a roundabout way through the Carrion Canyon. As night fell, so did the temperature, and Keir started shivering in my stiff arms. I slowed and untied the meager amount of belongings I had, taking out the scraps of fabric and wrapping them around Keir. I’m sure I lost some … things, but I couldn’t find it in myself to care.

With Keir wrapped up in a makeshift blanket and sleeping in my arms, I flew on silently. The harpies kept following me, but fell behind at some point.

Flying silently while Keir slept gave me plenty of time to think. Things … certainly hadn’t turned out the way I had hoped. I had been imagining coming back to the lair and being greeted by my parents and Keir’s, helping with the reconstruction, sitting with everyone and eating meals together, chatting with Karri and Nilus … but now …

But now I had no idea when that would happen again. We were all spread out now, avoiding the harpies while we waited for Dian and Torrent to try to make it safe for us to return. Things would be different by the time that happened – we’d be older, and maybe some of us would leave if it took too long … and I could only pray that we’d all still be healthy.

My thoughts continued in somewhat of a downward spiral throughout the night, body on autopilot, until the rising sun woke Keir up and she shifted in my arms, yawning and stretching. She turned in her makeshift blanket and looked up at me with intelligent cyan eyes.

“Flying too long,” she said quietly, putting a hand on my arm and then pointing at the ground, “okay?”

I laughed weakly before obliging her, flying down to a rocky outcrop. Part of it made a sort of half shelter, and I landed inside, setting Keir down once I had checked for monsters. I plopped down beside her, silent as I tried to catch my breath, and then glanced at her as she moved the scraps of fabric around. “Since when did you learn to talk?” I asked with a half forced smile, trying to keep the conversation light and cheery.

Keir just stopped and stared at me, and it felt like she could see right through me but she just answered in the same quiet, wavering voice. “Listened … and r-rem’bered.”

“Hm,” I hummed, smile widening. She was bright, and picked things up quickly. “’Remembered.’ That’s the word I think you’re looking for.”

“Re-remem … bered. Remembered?” Her nose scrunched up as she tried her best to parrot me.

I laughed a little. “You got it,” I said, “next, how about …”

Just as I thought, Keir picked things up at an astonishing pace. I spent most of the day talking with her about everything I could think of, bar the lair. She didn’t ask about it either, but I felt like that was only because she didn’t understand what had happened. As far as she was concerned, flying from cave to cave was a normal lifestyle, and it had just so happened that we had been chased from that one.

I told Keir about everything I could think of – about Stormcatcher, about the Shifting Expanse, what little I knew about other regions, about Storm Dancers … Eventually she did ask about Rivis, Sulis, and Aine, so I described them each to her. Rivis is a sarcastic son of a – can’t say that word – er, Rivis comes off as teasing and carefree, but he’s actually really smart. Sulis is somewhat serious and doesn’t seem very friendly, but he’s really great and apparently he’s really into reading old scrolls. Aine is sweet and a pacifist, but at the same time she has a wicked sharp mind and sometimes an equally sharp tongue.

After that, Keir tried to ask about what was going on back at the lair, but I got quiet and felt the urge to cry, so I told her we’d talk about it later. She seemed to get it, and instead grabbed my hand and dragged me out of the little shelter, only saying, “let’s go find things.”

So we went off and … found things. Mostly junk, like always, but Keir seemed to be having a good time. We haven’t found any more Blue Quartz since we found the piece that Keir always carries around. She wandered too close to a path at one point, though, and when I saw a Bumble heading towards her I saw red and shot a Shock Bolt at it. Probably overkill, and I’m sure I startled Keir, but it was all forgotten when I found some Honeycomb Fragments the Bumble was carrying and handed it to her.

Keir carefully tasted the piece I gave her, and then her eyes widened comically and she ate it quickly. I laughed when she gave me a pleading look and handed her another. I wasn’t prepared for her next words, though.

“Thanks! You're the best, Dad!”

I jerked slightly, my eyes wide as I stared down at the little Skydancer. She must’ve picked that up from Rivis when he was teasing me. “By the Boss! I’m not that much older than you! Just call me Lan, alright?”

She nodded, undeterred, and happily munched away at her honeycomb. I was quiet as she ate. I had no idea where either of our parents were, and if I had to leave the Shifting Expanse, it was unlikely that I’d run into them soon.

With that realization, I exhaled a shuddering breath that made Keir stop eating and look at me.

… I was really going to have to raise her, wasn’t I?
@Cien

Keir.

KEIR

Why are you SO cute?!

oml my reply to our little convo in the PM is coming, so I'm torn on whether or not to give an item or something!
@Cien

Keir.

KEIR

Why are you SO cute?!

oml my reply to our little convo in the PM is coming, so I'm torn on whether or not to give an item or something!
@Cien

god Keir is adorable. Can't wait to see her develop more n' more.
@Cien

god Keir is adorable. Can't wait to see her develop more n' more.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9