Creative Corner
Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Flight Planting (Fire, Light done)
....I [i]think[/i] this is "Creative". Just boot it elsewhere if I goofed. I work at a garden center, and I figured I ought to put my employee discount to use and plant some flowers, but I didn't have any strong opinions on what to plant, so I first decided to do a pot based on my home flight, Fire. I posted it in Fire's forums, but then today I went ahead and splurged on a second one based on Light, so here we are in all-flight land! [img]http://i.imgur.com/9EpoNse.png[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/739FMDO.png[/img] It's traditional for container gardens to have something tall, something trailing, and some stuff in the middle - which also worked as a visual formula for a volcano, or a flame flickering over a bed of coals. The tall stuff in the middle is orange snapdragon (ha ha visual pun), and the shorter, leggier orange flowers are calibrachoa, which has a "trailing" habit that is more of a "buddy I do what I want and you can't stop me" habit. Seemed appropriate! The tendency for some stems to go up also helped the orange flowers look like leaping sparks. Under all that is the low, mounding oxalis, which is a fancy name for clover and its relatives. I wanted the non-flowering plants to all have dark foliage, which evokes black, charred land, or coal, or soot, or iron. The oxalis also has a very fine texture that reminded me of a bed of coals, and it's supposed to spread out a little under the calibrachoa. Finally, the black sweet potato vine, which kind of looks like the item cindervine: [item=cindervine] (...kind of, that's definitely an ivy leaf but oh whatever), and hopefully evokes this other thing to continue the "volcano" image: [item=igneous flow] ...And that's the Fire planter! Today, I took a stab at Light. I tried some experimental stuff and I'm not sure how much of a success it was. The original plan was to load it up with yellow stuff, but then I stopped and thought about the whole ruins thing. I decided to go for a low profile, trying to evoke moss and vines growing over white stone. [img]http://i.imgur.com/O2tqJtj.jpg[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/fHGm6fy.jpg[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/vtGzrLO.jpg[/img] Trailing vines are vinca, the succulent with bright yellow flowers is ice plant, the white flowers are euphorbia and the grass is sedge. I think I need to put down more soil cover to make it uniformly white, and the ice plant definitely needs to fill out - it lost a few flowers in the planting process. I kind of regret not using something yellower in place of the euphorbia, but hopefully the ice plant will make up for it. There's a handful of bigger stones embedded in the soil too which are supposed to represent the fallen pillars and stuff. I'd like to do others - I already have ideas for Plague (impatiens look so grody and toothy if you leave them be for a few days, and begonias look really fleshy), Nature (we got canna lilies in!), and Lightning (succulents.), but my wallet is crying out in pain even after the discount and I need to give it some time to recuperate. I'll see what I can swing once I've saved up again.
....I think this is "Creative". Just boot it elsewhere if I goofed.

I work at a garden center, and I figured I ought to put my employee discount to use and plant some flowers, but I didn't have any strong opinions on what to plant, so I first decided to do a pot based on my home flight, Fire. I posted it in Fire's forums, but then today I went ahead and splurged on a second one based on Light, so here we are in all-flight land!

9EpoNse.png
739FMDO.png

It's traditional for container gardens to have something tall, something trailing, and some stuff in the middle - which also worked as a visual formula for a volcano, or a flame flickering over a bed of coals.

The tall stuff in the middle is orange snapdragon (ha ha visual pun), and the shorter, leggier orange flowers are calibrachoa, which has a "trailing" habit that is more of a "buddy I do what I want and you can't stop me" habit. Seemed appropriate! The tendency for some stems to go up also helped the orange flowers look like leaping sparks. Under all that is the low, mounding oxalis, which is a fancy name for clover and its relatives. I wanted the non-flowering plants to all have dark foliage, which evokes black, charred land, or coal, or soot, or iron. The oxalis also has a very fine texture that reminded me of a bed of coals, and it's supposed to spread out a little under the calibrachoa. Finally, the black sweet potato vine, which kind of looks like the item cindervine:

(...kind of, that's definitely an ivy leaf but oh whatever), and hopefully evokes this other thing to continue the "volcano" image:

...And that's the Fire planter! Today, I took a stab at Light. I tried some experimental stuff and I'm not sure how much of a success it was. The original plan was to load it up with yellow stuff, but then I stopped and thought about the whole ruins thing. I decided to go for a low profile, trying to evoke moss and vines growing over white stone.

O2tqJtj.jpg
fHGm6fy.jpg
vtGzrLO.jpg

Trailing vines are vinca, the succulent with bright yellow flowers is ice plant, the white flowers are euphorbia and the grass is sedge. I think I need to put down more soil cover to make it uniformly white, and the ice plant definitely needs to fill out - it lost a few flowers in the planting process. I kind of regret not using something yellower in place of the euphorbia, but hopefully the ice plant will make up for it.

There's a handful of bigger stones embedded in the soil too which are supposed to represent the fallen pillars and stuff.

I'd like to do others - I already have ideas for Plague (impatiens look so grody and toothy if you leave them be for a few days, and begonias look really fleshy), Nature (we got canna lilies in!), and Lightning (succulents.), but my wallet is crying out in pain even after the discount and I need to give it some time to recuperate. I'll see what I can swing once I've saved up again.
iiJfkW7.pngHYKufkZ.png8H57y7U.png
@hologramblue

very cool! I have no talent for gardening so this is fun for me to see; the plants you chose fit perfectly.
@hologramblue

very cool! I have no talent for gardening so this is fun for me to see; the plants you chose fit perfectly.
KFSoxOh.png OPMuT6a.png GKJ9rOx.png R4yLWvs.png pwJjkMF.png
@hologramblue Oh my gosh these are too cool and I love the vinca in the light planter!
@hologramblue Oh my gosh these are too cool and I love the vinca in the light planter!
FLoYPGu.gif
Those flowers are absolutely beautiful! And they fit with their flights so well!
Those flowers are absolutely beautiful! And they fit with their flights so well!
Isaac | They/Them
Clan Journal
K80THZj.gif
ud9HGFM.gif
Sablekeys
5XuOr0q.gif
Art Shop
jPdGQf9.gif PjEnmC8.png
@hologramblue Oh wow, those looks so cool! ^^ Maybe you could do Shadow next time? Morning Glories and Irises are very Shadow-y flowers, in my opinion. Mushrooms are a thing for us too (plus points if they glow).
@hologramblue Oh wow, those looks so cool! ^^ Maybe you could do Shadow next time? Morning Glories and Irises are very Shadow-y flowers, in my opinion. Mushrooms are a thing for us too (plus points if they glow).
nhPXuTn.gifz5eKjn6.gifPXDZmkj.gif
@Upstart Morning glories and irises are both perennials, which makes them a lot more expensive, bigger (1-gallon root balls demand bigger, pricier pots) and much harder to just stick in a pot and leave (also, morning glory is a climbing vine so it'd take a looong time to get established, and all the irises I'm familiar with/that I can get have massive knobby roots that are hard to work around.) And then I wouldn't even know where to start with mushrooms, you usually have to buy spores or kits online, and I don't think there's much in the way of non-edible ones out there commercially.

I think the best I can do for Shadow is purple and light blue flowers, dark rock accents, maybe stick to things that like their soil soggy and go for a marshy look? The fairy-garden side of things probably has a lot to offer in moss-like spreading plants etc. so that's a possibility.

I'm probably going to hit Nature or Lightning first when I have the money, though. :c
@Upstart Morning glories and irises are both perennials, which makes them a lot more expensive, bigger (1-gallon root balls demand bigger, pricier pots) and much harder to just stick in a pot and leave (also, morning glory is a climbing vine so it'd take a looong time to get established, and all the irises I'm familiar with/that I can get have massive knobby roots that are hard to work around.) And then I wouldn't even know where to start with mushrooms, you usually have to buy spores or kits online, and I don't think there's much in the way of non-edible ones out there commercially.

I think the best I can do for Shadow is purple and light blue flowers, dark rock accents, maybe stick to things that like their soil soggy and go for a marshy look? The fairy-garden side of things probably has a lot to offer in moss-like spreading plants etc. so that's a possibility.

I'm probably going to hit Nature or Lightning first when I have the money, though. :c
@hologramblue That's perfectly alright :) It was just a suggestion after all, plus Morning Glories are kind of my favorite flower I'm not biased nope Go with whatever you want to ^^
@hologramblue That's perfectly alright :) It was just a suggestion after all, plus Morning Glories are kind of my favorite flower I'm not biased nope Go with whatever you want to ^^
nhPXuTn.gifz5eKjn6.gifPXDZmkj.gif
Did you say Lightning is succulents? I am 100% behind that.
Did you say Lightning is succulents? I am 100% behind that.
tumblr_ps4duoTie41yoczqno6_250.pngtumblr_inline_pa2yqg5zHz1rvb92q_540.png
@Darkersolstice Yuup. We don't really have enough variety in indoor succulents/cacti to represent Lightning well, but we got in this neat-looking, kinda hairy outdoor thing that I could probably stick in with some grasses and something tough that doesn't mind dryness. It's tough though because there are only so many succulents and I'm not sure what to allocate to Lightning and what to Earth...

I think hens and chicks are a little more Earthy? Unfortunately most of our outdoor succulent variety is big gallon pots of perennial sedum/stonecrop and those don't play nice with container gardening. :c
@Darkersolstice Yuup. We don't really have enough variety in indoor succulents/cacti to represent Lightning well, but we got in this neat-looking, kinda hairy outdoor thing that I could probably stick in with some grasses and something tough that doesn't mind dryness. It's tough though because there are only so many succulents and I'm not sure what to allocate to Lightning and what to Earth...

I think hens and chicks are a little more Earthy? Unfortunately most of our outdoor succulent variety is big gallon pots of perennial sedum/stonecrop and those don't play nice with container gardening. :c
Oh wait hurr I think I know how to do Lightning.

You're only going to get so much mileage out of blue flowers, so here's how to swing it - some succulents, a blue-green grass, something flowering. Possibly ice plant, ice plant is a wonderful and versatile thing.

Wide, shallow metal pot.

Ground cover is pea gravel (for dusty sandy look) and electric blue glass drops, that's where you get the blue from. 8|a But then maybe it'll look too similar to the Crystalhide setup...? Grey gravel, then?
Oh wait hurr I think I know how to do Lightning.

You're only going to get so much mileage out of blue flowers, so here's how to swing it - some succulents, a blue-green grass, something flowering. Possibly ice plant, ice plant is a wonderful and versatile thing.

Wide, shallow metal pot.

Ground cover is pea gravel (for dusty sandy look) and electric blue glass drops, that's where you get the blue from. 8|a But then maybe it'll look too similar to the Crystalhide setup...? Grey gravel, then?