Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Dragon Writers' Chat: May Edition
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 44 45
Hooray new forum!

Hm, at the moment I'm not having trouble finding things to write, I'm worried that all my idea are...stupid. I'm writing fantasy and I know there is a lot that you can get away with. Even my favorite authors just do as they please and don't worry about it, because it is written well.

Maybe I'm just worrying about nothing. I mean, I'm not writing for a mary sue and I'm not throwing in stuff randomly. Okay, maybe I am crazy.
Hooray new forum!

Hm, at the moment I'm not having trouble finding things to write, I'm worried that all my idea are...stupid. I'm writing fantasy and I know there is a lot that you can get away with. Even my favorite authors just do as they please and don't worry about it, because it is written well.

Maybe I'm just worrying about nothing. I mean, I'm not writing for a mary sue and I'm not throwing in stuff randomly. Okay, maybe I am crazy.
marina_small_by_wesleart_by_bombswan-db2x2ss.png
Oh my god. No. It's May. It still feels like February, other than the sun's out more (causing my cat to dash up and down the hall with excitement).
Since the weekend is coming up, I'm going to take my chance to write.

@micahjaguar Hahahaha, oooh that's what Author Solutions is. I'm poor and broke and don't buy into that crap. I've done little, but enough research to know that if anything asks for a payment to help market you or your book is the glorified definition of a scam. It reminds me of the back-in-the-day lottery winners emails from Canada and Europe. "Yay I won the lottery in Switzerland! Now if I just send them my routing number, I'll get a million dollars!" =_______=;; I will say that I'm tempted to buy into those schemes only because finding a beta reader/editor is like pulling teeth, or sounds stupidly expensive; especially when it's unclear what an editor can do for you.

I know what you mean about older work being embarrassing. I'm like a packrat with my older writings. One of my oldest pieces I started by doing a chapter each day, and no guidance on plot. It's ups and downs are very strange, but it also is written very vaguely. I feel weird reading my older writing, cause I still enjoy it, even if I can see the weirdness.

Ah, you just reminded me about some of the fine-print of selling online through createspace. It 100% confuses me on how you get paid. And things like, do you format it specially as a PDF and upload that, how is it protected via copyright... @_@;; The current novel I've been working on for years (that's linked to in my sig), has no real view of an ending in sight. So I've thought possibly selling it in chunks (30~40 chapters a chunk) might be a better idea. *shrugs*
Oh my god. No. It's May. It still feels like February, other than the sun's out more (causing my cat to dash up and down the hall with excitement).
Since the weekend is coming up, I'm going to take my chance to write.

@micahjaguar Hahahaha, oooh that's what Author Solutions is. I'm poor and broke and don't buy into that crap. I've done little, but enough research to know that if anything asks for a payment to help market you or your book is the glorified definition of a scam. It reminds me of the back-in-the-day lottery winners emails from Canada and Europe. "Yay I won the lottery in Switzerland! Now if I just send them my routing number, I'll get a million dollars!" =_______=;; I will say that I'm tempted to buy into those schemes only because finding a beta reader/editor is like pulling teeth, or sounds stupidly expensive; especially when it's unclear what an editor can do for you.

I know what you mean about older work being embarrassing. I'm like a packrat with my older writings. One of my oldest pieces I started by doing a chapter each day, and no guidance on plot. It's ups and downs are very strange, but it also is written very vaguely. I feel weird reading my older writing, cause I still enjoy it, even if I can see the weirdness.

Ah, you just reminded me about some of the fine-print of selling online through createspace. It 100% confuses me on how you get paid. And things like, do you format it specially as a PDF and upload that, how is it protected via copyright... @_@;; The current novel I've been working on for years (that's linked to in my sig), has no real view of an ending in sight. So I've thought possibly selling it in chunks (30~40 chapters a chunk) might be a better idea. *shrugs*
XDPf8Kb.pngJAWFkrd.jpgn5y47up.gif
@BombSwan I think you are worrying a little too much. Fantasy is a very free-range genre, and aside from that, I find that a lot of ideas can differ from the head to the page, so perhaps they'll just work better once you get them written down c: (you aren't crazy though...at least, you're not crazier than the rest of us XD) Anyhow, as for me I'm at the tail-end of the school year, and thus will have time to write very soon, which is great 'cause I've got some new ideas! For starters I was thinking about writing up a little fantasy-themed elseworld story for my 'verse, if only because it's a motif I keep doodling and I should probably banish is out of my head before I go to write anything else XD Also because it's fun :P As for the main 'verse though, I figured out a new character plus a plot-ish for another story, but I'm having trouble with the in-between-y bits XP I should also note that I FINALLY finished my research paper, which feels wonderful, AND the one acts are tonight! I'm actually pretty nervous about it though, since we ended up not having a lot of time to cobble it together and it's a directed reading TuT Oh well... Finally, I have beautiful babies to share! Mort and Ysabell have produced beautiful offspring indeed, such as... this gorgeous girl [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=12783047] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/127831/12783047_350.png[/img] [/url] this cute girlie [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=12783048] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/127831/12783048_350.png[/img] [/url] this handsome lad [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=12783049] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/127831/12783049_350.png[/img] [/url] and this lovely lass! [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=12783050] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/127831/12783050_350.png[/img] [/url] I'm so proud ;u;
@BombSwan
I think you are worrying a little too much. Fantasy is a very free-range genre, and aside from that, I find that a lot of ideas can differ from the head to the page, so perhaps they'll just work better once you get them written down c:
(you aren't crazy though...at least, you're not crazier than the rest of us XD)

Anyhow, as for me I'm at the tail-end of the school year, and thus will have time to write very soon, which is great 'cause I've got some new ideas!

For starters I was thinking about writing up a little fantasy-themed elseworld story for my 'verse, if only because it's a motif I keep doodling and I should probably banish is out of my head before I go to write anything else XD
Also because it's fun :P

As for the main 'verse though, I figured out a new character plus a plot-ish for another story, but I'm having trouble with the in-between-y bits XP

I should also note that I FINALLY finished my research paper, which feels wonderful, AND the one acts are tonight! I'm actually pretty nervous about it though, since we ended up not having a lot of time to cobble it together and it's a directed reading TuT
Oh well...

Finally, I have beautiful babies to share!
Mort and Ysabell have produced beautiful offspring indeed, such as...
this gorgeous girl

12783047_350.png

this cute girlie

12783048_350.png

this handsome lad

12783049_350.png

and this lovely lass!

12783050_350.png

I'm so proud ;u;
eppAZHY.pngu1qMgY0.png SqnIrhs.png
Fantasy and Science Fiction are great, yeah.

I do always seem to end up mixing them up, though; like a medieval society stuck on a ringworld, etc, etc. I know it's not an uncommon theme, but it still makes me worry. I've seen some things were there was suddenly sci-fi in a high magic universe and it really kinda sucked.

@LilacsandFreedom That are some seriously pretty babies! Gz!

@Pyrasaur My goodness, I love those noodles. The arcane eyes look GREAT on them.

@ShadesofCyan I love Halona and Ranger. I hope everything works out for them!
Fantasy and Science Fiction are great, yeah.

I do always seem to end up mixing them up, though; like a medieval society stuck on a ringworld, etc, etc. I know it's not an uncommon theme, but it still makes me worry. I've seen some things were there was suddenly sci-fi in a high magic universe and it really kinda sucked.

@LilacsandFreedom That are some seriously pretty babies! Gz!

@Pyrasaur My goodness, I love those noodles. The arcane eyes look GREAT on them.

@ShadesofCyan I love Halona and Ranger. I hope everything works out for them!
@chalcara

I find it's all how you play the tropes that makes the difference!
Sometimes certain tropes work great with certain writers, but with others...not so much :P

thank you :D!
I'm thinking about auctioning a few off, unless people here are interested ;D
@chalcara

I find it's all how you play the tropes that makes the difference!
Sometimes certain tropes work great with certain writers, but with others...not so much :P

thank you :D!
I'm thinking about auctioning a few off, unless people here are interested ;D
@LilacsandFreedom Oh thank you, that is a relief! I think I'm worried that others won't like it, but then I remember that you can't please everyone. You should also write for yourself, but take constructive criticism. Plus sometimes people that really don't like it probably aren't my target audience anyway. Hopefully.[s] Emma stop.[/s] Those babies are beautiful! I picked this girl up the other day: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=12601008] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/126011/12601008_350.png[/img] [/url] My weakness for pastel colors is getting our of control.
@LilacsandFreedom
Oh thank you, that is a relief! I think I'm worried that others won't like it, but then I remember that you can't please everyone. You should also write for yourself, but take constructive criticism. Plus sometimes people that really don't like it probably aren't my target audience anyway. Hopefully. Emma stop.

Those babies are beautiful! I picked this girl up the other day:

12601008_350.png

My weakness for pastel colors is getting our of control.
@Bombswan

That's a beautiful Guardian OAO!
It's okay, I've got a weakness for pastels too XP

And yeah, don't worry too much about it- just standard writer nerves XD
I mean, it's not like you're doing anything super ~avant garde~ or ~subversive~ or what-not :P
@Bombswan

That's a beautiful Guardian OAO!
It's okay, I've got a weakness for pastels too XP

And yeah, don't worry too much about it- just standard writer nerves XD
I mean, it's not like you're doing anything super ~avant garde~ or ~subversive~ or what-not :P
@chalcara I love them too. But I don't know what's going to happen with them. And @LadyRowyn Plague has been updated. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=8567262] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/85673/8567262_350.png[/img] [/url] @BombSwan she is gorgeous! @LilacsandFreedom those are some beautiful babies. *looks at lair* I think I'm glad I have no room.
@chalcara I love them too. But I don't know what's going to happen with them.

And @LadyRowyn Plague has been updated.

8567262_350.png

@BombSwan she is gorgeous!

@LilacsandFreedom those are some beautiful babies. *looks at lair* I think I'm glad I have no room.
@LilacsandFreedom
Oh, no, it is just average D&D fantasy, with a few minor changes. I'm not looking to 'change the genre' or anything like that. x3

It isn't fair that pastels look nice in a lot of genes so I end up having all these pretties I can't get rid of. I mean in the long run it isn't an issue.

I meant to ask you: what your paper was about?

@ShadesofCyan
Hehe, thank you. I was very lucky to get her, she was priced as fodder! x.x

Oh Plague's accent is amazing!
@LilacsandFreedom
Oh, no, it is just average D&D fantasy, with a few minor changes. I'm not looking to 'change the genre' or anything like that. x3

It isn't fair that pastels look nice in a lot of genes so I end up having all these pretties I can't get rid of. I mean in the long run it isn't an issue.

I meant to ask you: what your paper was about?

@ShadesofCyan
Hehe, thank you. I was very lucky to get her, she was priced as fodder! x.x

Oh Plague's accent is amazing!
@BombSwan
Well that's cool XD

I know, right? My main issue is figuring out how to best breed pretty pastels XD

My paper's about how and why the assassination of JFK changed American culture *nods*
it was quite the interesting topic n_n

@ShadesofCyan
Thank you, and my apologies for your lack of lair space XD
@BombSwan
Well that's cool XD

I know, right? My main issue is figuring out how to best breed pretty pastels XD

My paper's about how and why the assassination of JFK changed American culture *nods*
it was quite the interesting topic n_n

@ShadesofCyan
Thank you, and my apologies for your lack of lair space XD
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 44 45