Back

Bug Report Forums

Report bugs and errors to the Flight Rising development team.
TOPIC | Virus-like Bug in Coliseum? (Updated)
1 2 3 4 5 6
@sikora

This bug seemed to fix itself for me a while back, so I haven't had to try any of the solutions here. It works with no trouble now, but if it happens again I'll give some feedback for sure. Thanks for letting us know about the solution though!
@sikora

This bug seemed to fix itself for me a while back, so I haven't had to try any of the solutions here. It works with no trouble now, but if it happens again I'll give some feedback for sure. Thanks for letting us know about the solution though!
pCxMRnd.gif 9INKMbn.png Plentiful-Meat.png VEvBB7l.pngKp99Tes.png
Experienced this bug today
Experienced this bug today
RDGMqLy.png
@androgynebard Did you try the solutions posted in this thread?
@androgynebard Did you try the solutions posted in this thread?
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
2 days ago the bug came back for me for just a few hours. It was right after Firefox update in the evening, in the morning everything was back to normal.

Today the bug is back.
2 days ago the bug came back for me for just a few hours. It was right after Firefox update in the evening, in the morning everything was back to normal.

Today the bug is back.
A picture of a mutant bird. It's desaturated green with octopus tentacles instead of a beak, bat-like wings and tail. Looks omnious.A terracotta pot with some cindershrooms growing in it and tall, red flowers. In front of the pot, slightly on the right, there is a pile of orange and black stones.A terracotta pot with an oak tree bonsai in autumn.A gif of a specimen of the bird species Cyanistes caeruleus lying on its back. It holds a candycane in its feet and licks it every few seconds.
After installing the necessary materials/programs for testing, Norton has been duly dressed down about this, and have had it shown to them via RA and explained in detail. Directly demonstrating the issue was necessary; until I showed it to the Norton tech, they refused to believe Norton could be doing this, and according to them both Flight Rising URLs are whitelisted with Norton already. (So is there no record of this repeated issue? Hmm.)

The tech attempted to bypass it with a firewall exception, which failed to help in any way. The same "did not help" unfortunately goes for the fixes in this thread, even temporarily, when I attempted it myself, but this might be due to unfamiliarity with some of the settings involved. (Clarification - Nothing within Norton affected this, and I could only find a few settings that allow making any kind of exception of specific sites and tried them all, with an accompanying cache clear and private browsing mode. I might have missed something, but if so, the Norton tech did not think to try it either....) The Norton ticket has been escalated, but I was told 3 to 5 days wait to get movement on it may be expected.

Official Flight Rising folks, you might want to consider extending the event if you can, for however long this issue takes to resolve, please. Not everyone, and here I am specifically thinking of younger users, has the option to try other browsers (or virus protection) to get around this, and the Coliseum is quite integral to the event. Not being able to change out a team could be a severe hindrance.

I hope this is helpful, I am very tired after inadequate sleep. :)

(Edit - clarifying)

An additional note that I forgot to include earlier - I tried downgrading Firefox by one version, used a new profile, and this erroneous bad report by Norton's antiviral software still occurred.

I am not sure what to make of that except that trying another browser if you have install permission on whatever device you are using seems to be the easiest way around this. If you do have this issue, please make issue reports, I doubt Flight Rising staff have any ability to fix this if it is not a whitelisting problem, which I was at least told by Norton support it is not.

A further note, after some thought -

I hang the bulk of responsibility for this issue on Norton; call it the influence of past experience. But this does seem to be Firefox-specific as well, when it happens, and determining which one is more responsible for the problem arising again is outside of my area of knowledge.
After installing the necessary materials/programs for testing, Norton has been duly dressed down about this, and have had it shown to them via RA and explained in detail. Directly demonstrating the issue was necessary; until I showed it to the Norton tech, they refused to believe Norton could be doing this, and according to them both Flight Rising URLs are whitelisted with Norton already. (So is there no record of this repeated issue? Hmm.)

The tech attempted to bypass it with a firewall exception, which failed to help in any way. The same "did not help" unfortunately goes for the fixes in this thread, even temporarily, when I attempted it myself, but this might be due to unfamiliarity with some of the settings involved. (Clarification - Nothing within Norton affected this, and I could only find a few settings that allow making any kind of exception of specific sites and tried them all, with an accompanying cache clear and private browsing mode. I might have missed something, but if so, the Norton tech did not think to try it either....) The Norton ticket has been escalated, but I was told 3 to 5 days wait to get movement on it may be expected.

Official Flight Rising folks, you might want to consider extending the event if you can, for however long this issue takes to resolve, please. Not everyone, and here I am specifically thinking of younger users, has the option to try other browsers (or virus protection) to get around this, and the Coliseum is quite integral to the event. Not being able to change out a team could be a severe hindrance.

I hope this is helpful, I am very tired after inadequate sleep. :)

(Edit - clarifying)

An additional note that I forgot to include earlier - I tried downgrading Firefox by one version, used a new profile, and this erroneous bad report by Norton's antiviral software still occurred.

I am not sure what to make of that except that trying another browser if you have install permission on whatever device you are using seems to be the easiest way around this. If you do have this issue, please make issue reports, I doubt Flight Rising staff have any ability to fix this if it is not a whitelisting problem, which I was at least told by Norton support it is not.

A further note, after some thought -

I hang the bulk of responsibility for this issue on Norton; call it the influence of past experience. But this does seem to be Firefox-specific as well, when it happens, and determining which one is more responsible for the problem arising again is outside of my area of knowledge.
@williwawwarden

Thank you for all of the work you put into this. Your extra information is very helpful.

I gave it a test - I'm having the bug happen again too. Edit: I sent in the bug report and linked this thread. Sorry guys - I should have done that earlier.

I hope you are all having a good NOTN despite the Coli problems. Sorry you're having this trouble again.
@williwawwarden

Thank you for all of the work you put into this. Your extra information is very helpful.

I gave it a test - I'm having the bug happen again too. Edit: I sent in the bug report and linked this thread. Sorry guys - I should have done that earlier.

I hope you are all having a good NOTN despite the Coli problems. Sorry you're having this trouble again.
LxbWmll.png
@unidra I decided I like Nocturnes a lot as soon as I saw them, so, I also might be extra motivated to make sure [s]the site is as thoroughly infested with thriving batdragons as the event should make it[/s] the event is fun for everyone. [emoji=nocturne winking size=1] [emoji=nocturne star size=1] I meant to include this earlier, sorry - The exact text of the Norton in-error message as I saw it, and as was originally described to me, is also, "Threat requiring manual removal detected: System Infected: PHP Shell Command Execution 2." The attached "Tell me how" link was a generic link to a page including Norton's removal tool, that is of no use if you are already using an up-to-date installation of their antivirus as I was for testing (this is made clear on their site). There was no file- or issue-specific information indicated anywhere, except for Norton's actions history simply indicating the "error" had been alerted on. And to no surprise, no scan by anything found anything to actually alert on or remove. [emoji=eliminate size=1] I hope it gets resolved quickly, good luck everyone! ({[i]Scoots an emoji up a line.[/i]} You saw nothing. [emoji=sunglasses size=1])
@unidra

I decided I like Nocturnes a lot as soon as I saw them, so, I also might be extra motivated to make sure the site is as thoroughly infested with thriving batdragons as the event should make it the event is fun for everyone.

I meant to include this earlier, sorry - The exact text of the Norton in-error message as I saw it, and as was originally described to me, is also,

"Threat requiring manual removal detected: System Infected: PHP Shell Command Execution 2."

The attached "Tell me how" link was a generic link to a page including Norton's removal tool, that is of no use if you are already using an up-to-date installation of their antivirus as I was for testing (this is made clear on their site). There was no file- or issue-specific information indicated anywhere, except for Norton's actions history simply indicating the "error" had been alerted on. And to no surprise, no scan by anything found anything to actually alert on or remove.

I hope it gets resolved quickly, good luck everyone!

({Scoots an emoji up a line.} You saw nothing. )
Hello all, we have made some changes to the way the Organize Party page communicates with our servers. This change specifically affects the act of modifying your Coliseum party (adding/removing/rearranging dragons). We hope this will fix the issue you're experiencing (Norton generating a false positive) as a result, and without requiring you to manually whitelist Flight Rising. Please let us know if this has improved things for you or not. We understand this has been a very frustrating issue interfering with many players' enjoyment of the Coliseum during Night of the Nocturne and we want to thank you for your patience as we work towards a solution.
Hello all, we have made some changes to the way the Organize Party page communicates with our servers. This change specifically affects the act of modifying your Coliseum party (adding/removing/rearranging dragons). We hope this will fix the issue you're experiencing (Norton generating a false positive) as a result, and without requiring you to manually whitelist Flight Rising. Please let us know if this has improved things for you or not. We understand this has been a very frustrating issue interfering with many players' enjoyment of the Coliseum during Night of the Nocturne and we want to thank you for your patience as we work towards a solution.
Flight Rising Engineering Team

Flight Rising Knowledge Base
Flight Rising Rules & Policies
@Mutron

Thank you for taking the time to address this. It is working on my system now.

@williwawwarden @Saru @Morcegueres @Shadowind @Katelle @LavinaArrow @JinxFlux @BlindBard @Ceresvoid @sugarmallow @MissAnnThrope @Zazzary @Hodr @clanguardian @azurearchangel @sikora @Vendrus @androgynebard - When you have chance, could you check on your systems to see if the fix worked?
@Mutron

Thank you for taking the time to address this. It is working on my system now.

@williwawwarden @Saru @Morcegueres @Shadowind @Katelle @LavinaArrow @JinxFlux @BlindBard @Ceresvoid @sugarmallow @MissAnnThrope @Zazzary @Hodr @clanguardian @azurearchangel @sikora @Vendrus @androgynebard - When you have chance, could you check on your systems to see if the fix worked?
LxbWmll.png
@unidra it's working! :)
@unidra it's working! :)
A picture of a mutant bird. It's desaturated green with octopus tentacles instead of a beak, bat-like wings and tail. Looks omnious.A terracotta pot with some cindershrooms growing in it and tall, red flowers. In front of the pot, slightly on the right, there is a pile of orange and black stones.A terracotta pot with an oak tree bonsai in autumn.A gif of a specimen of the bird species Cyanistes caeruleus lying on its back. It holds a candycane in its feet and licks it every few seconds.
1 2 3 4 5 6