Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Flight Rising Community
1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Thank you FR staff, for listening to your members.

Even when they scream and whine and cuss and CAPSLOCK.

Even when they say you don't care.

Even when they act entitled to a website they do not pay for.

I am proud to be a member of a website which has acted so professionally and efficiently to make its members happy, even though it owes them nothing. You guys are doing an amazing job and we love you, even when we act like spoiled brats.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Thank you FR staff, for listening to your members.

Even when they scream and whine and cuss and CAPSLOCK.

Even when they say you don't care.

Even when they act entitled to a website they do not pay for.

I am proud to be a member of a website which has acted so professionally and efficiently to make its members happy, even though it owes them nothing. You guys are doing an amazing job and we love you, even when we act like spoiled brats.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
PROTECT. INFECT. REJECT.
plague_banner.png
[quote name="Dreadnought" date="2013-07-19 14:57:31" url="main.php?p=mb&board=ann&page=8&id=609580#610682"]Please keep in mind folks that, as far as I'm aware, Thrage created the coding for the games. They are in a way, his. They can't actually completely fire him without first buying him out. There are some technical/legal issues that would first need to be worked out. Which is why I suspect one, if not the main reason why, he'll still be doing coding in the back. [/quote] Going to just quote myself a few times in the hopes more people see this.
Please keep in mind folks that, as far as I'm aware, Thrage created the coding for the games. They are in a way, his.

They can't actually completely fire him without first buying him out. There are some technical/legal issues that would first need to be worked out.

Which is why I suspect one, if not the main reason why, he'll still be doing coding in the back.

Going to just quote myself a few times in the hopes more people see this.
NHzYzMb.png
[quote name="fluffixation" date="2013-07-19 14:50:28" url="main.php?p=mb&board=ann&page=7&id=609580#610567"][quote name="Sahnin" date="2013-07-19 14:36:14" url="main.php?p=mb&board=ann&page=5&id=609580#610343"][quote name="thestorieswesay" date="2013-07-19 14:30:47" url="main.php?p=mb&board=ann&page=5&id=609580#610269"]I don't know how to take his apology considering he apologized to me about the games causing a seizure while making fun of me on his Facebook. [/quote] I'm sorry that happened to you. And I'm sorry your story keeps getting swept under the carpet. [/quote] I'm seconding this as well. We need to [b]absolutely not[/b] throw Thrage's insensitivity on the subject of epilepsy under the carpet. Ever. Seeing as how he's a person who works on flash games and all. And also seeing as how it's intolerably rude to make fun of someone for having a seizure, and ALSO intolerably rude to blow your story off.[/quote] This is my whole problem with Thrage. I really wish people wouldn't forget this part when talking about everything Thrage said because this is such a huge part of it. He makes games. His games caused seizures [i](which can kill people)[/i]. And he thought that was the funniest thing in the world, even calling doing so a rite of passage, and telling people that he thought people with epilepsy just ought not play video games. And this was even before Shock Switch got into beta and we all saw how he handled [i]that.[/i] I'm now convinced that the only reason he was so adamant about not changing anything in Shock Switch and actually adding more flashy effects was because he thought it was funny. I just really don't think he needs to be working on games anymore if that's his attitude towards inducing seizures in people that might potentially kill them.
I don't know how to take his apology considering he apologized to me about the games causing a seizure while making fun of me on his Facebook.

I'm sorry that happened to you. And I'm sorry your story keeps getting swept under the carpet.
I'm seconding this as well. We need to absolutely not throw Thrage's insensitivity on the subject of epilepsy under the carpet. Ever. Seeing as how he's a person who works on flash games and all.

And also seeing as how it's intolerably rude to make fun of someone for having a seizure, and ALSO intolerably rude to blow your story off.

This is my whole problem with Thrage. I really wish people wouldn't forget this part when talking about everything Thrage said because this is such a huge part of it. He makes games. His games caused seizures (which can kill people). And he thought that was the funniest thing in the world, even calling doing so a rite of passage, and telling people that he thought people with epilepsy just ought not play video games.

And this was even before Shock Switch got into beta and we all saw how he handled that. I'm now convinced that the only reason he was so adamant about not changing anything in Shock Switch and actually adding more flashy effects was because he thought it was funny.

I just really don't think he needs to be working on games anymore if that's his attitude towards inducing seizures in people that might potentially kill them.
...There are so many posts in this thread I want to like. So many posts.

I won't quote them all, I don't have the patience to do it. But those of you who share my thoughts, I'm talking about you, you guys rock.

I'm sickened by the amount of Thrage-bashing, both last night, and right now. Okay. What he said was awful. Yes, I read it, I know. I was disgusted and rather horrified and the whole thing. I was. I am. I identify as a bisexual woman, my current girlfriend is more or less pansexual - gender has no bearing on her choices. In a lot of ways, it as no bearing on mine. I fell in love with the person that she is, not what determines her gender to most people.

Do I think Thrage messed up? Yes, yes I do. Do I agree with what was said? No. No I do not. However, I think that it has been blown out of proportion, and I'm deeply saddened by the reactions of some members of the community. Thrage is human. Thrage made a massive mistake, and that mistake hurt a lot of people. Thrage is being punished for that mistake, he is facing the backlash of it, and he is no longer an admin - he no longer has any power over the members of the community.

I don't think Thrage meant to be as offensive as he was. I think it was an ill-informed and very badly worded statement. Does that make it all better? No. No it does not. But Thrage *is* facing the backlash of his actions.

Thrage is human, humans make mistakes. People deserve second chances. I understand the upset, and I understand it's only been less than a day. But, I think there's nothing wrong with Thrage being allowed to continue working on the site in the capacity of a game writer.

I know people are hurt. I know when hurt people lash out and say things they probably shouldn't. But I'm imploring some of you to step back and do a little soul searching. Find forgiveness, if you can. If not, well, sometimes that's just not possible. Lashing out and saying mean and nasty things doesn't make this better, it just poisons the community further.

I do want to say, thank you to the Admins for taking the time to address this. You listen to your community, sometimes you don't bend to them (which is a good thing, you shouldn't always bend to the community, in my opinion), but you always listen. You consider what's said, and you communicate with us. That gives me a lot of hope. You guys are awesome.

-AerisLei
<3
...There are so many posts in this thread I want to like. So many posts.

I won&#039;t quote them all, I don&#039;t have the patience to do it. But those of you who share my thoughts, I&#039;m talking about you, you guys rock.

I&#039;m sickened by the amount of Thrage-bashing, both last night, and right now. Okay. What he said was awful. Yes, I read it, I know. I was disgusted and rather horrified and the whole thing. I was. I am. I identify as a bisexual woman, my current girlfriend is more or less pansexual - gender has no bearing on her choices. In a lot of ways, it as no bearing on mine. I fell in love with the person that she is, not what determines her gender to most people.

Do I think Thrage messed up? Yes, yes I do. Do I agree with what was said? No. No I do not. However, I think that it has been blown out of proportion, and I&#039;m deeply saddened by the reactions of some members of the community. Thrage is human. Thrage made a massive mistake, and that mistake hurt a lot of people. Thrage is being punished for that mistake, he is facing the backlash of it, and he is no longer an admin - he no longer has any power over the members of the community.

I don&#039;t think Thrage meant to be as offensive as he was. I think it was an ill-informed and very badly worded statement. Does that make it all better? No. No it does not. But Thrage *is* facing the backlash of his actions.

Thrage is human, humans make mistakes. People deserve second chances. I understand the upset, and I understand it&#039;s only been less than a day. But, I think there&#039;s nothing wrong with Thrage being allowed to continue working on the site in the capacity of a game writer.

I know people are hurt. I know when hurt people lash out and say things they probably shouldn&#039;t. But I&#039;m imploring some of you to step back and do a little soul searching. Find forgiveness, if you can. If not, well, sometimes that&#039;s just not possible. Lashing out and saying mean and nasty things doesn&#039;t make this better, it just poisons the community further.

I do want to say, thank you to the Admins for taking the time to address this. You listen to your community, sometimes you don&#039;t bend to them (which is a good thing, you shouldn&#039;t always bend to the community, in my opinion), but you always listen. You consider what&#039;s said, and you communicate with us. That gives me a lot of hope. You guys are awesome.

-AerisLei
<3
I&#039;m glad a decision was reached swiftly, and while I&#039;m not entirely pleased to hear that he will be on the back end in the future- (Careful wording here, this does not mean presently.)

I also understand that for coding, it is extremely difficult to work with someone else&#039;s code. With all the issues on the site already, and all the things the remaining admins are dealing with, there is simply not enough time to find another coder in a short time frame without there being even more delay on working games/Coliseum. There are many coders out there, but not all of them are skilled in picking up where someone has left off.
Which in turn will cause annoyance and anger at the non-working site.

I think that as time goes on the admins will be in a better place to find someone to replace Thrage entirely, if that is their decision. But right now there is no time. I don&#039;t know how many employees for this site there are- but it seems very strained.
If there are any skilled coders on FR who think they could take up the mantle Thrage handled I&#039;d highly suggest they contact the admins with a portfolio/experience and go from there. The admins simply don&#039;t have the resources it appears to go on an extensive search. I&#039;m not saying this excuses Thrage in any way, but realistically the other team members are strained. They are only human.

I have also seen the suggestion that Thrage be compelled to attend a business ethics/LGTB awareness course and that might be a good idea to consider as well.

As a whole, I can say that the FR team has acted very professionally and calmly, so thank you all for doing so.
I&#039;m glad a decision was reached swiftly, and while I&#039;m not entirely pleased to hear that he will be on the back end in the future- (Careful wording here, this does not mean presently.)

I also understand that for coding, it is extremely difficult to work with someone else&#039;s code. With all the issues on the site already, and all the things the remaining admins are dealing with, there is simply not enough time to find another coder in a short time frame without there being even more delay on working games/Coliseum. There are many coders out there, but not all of them are skilled in picking up where someone has left off.
Which in turn will cause annoyance and anger at the non-working site.

I think that as time goes on the admins will be in a better place to find someone to replace Thrage entirely, if that is their decision. But right now there is no time. I don&#039;t know how many employees for this site there are- but it seems very strained.
If there are any skilled coders on FR who think they could take up the mantle Thrage handled I&#039;d highly suggest they contact the admins with a portfolio/experience and go from there. The admins simply don&#039;t have the resources it appears to go on an extensive search. I&#039;m not saying this excuses Thrage in any way, but realistically the other team members are strained. They are only human.

I have also seen the suggestion that Thrage be compelled to attend a business ethics/LGTB awareness course and that might be a good idea to consider as well.

As a whole, I can say that the FR team has acted very professionally and calmly, so thank you all for doing so.
0BrAWFT.png8sbZLoS.png
I am not at all pleased that Thrage may yet receive payment for his services here, as I believe that in the professional and business world, that behaviour such as he has exhibited is inexcusable and grounds for termination. Certainly despite the fact that my employer is opinionated, my personal blogs, Facebook, and other online accounts, commentary, and presence in communities are monitored for inappropriate behaviour, as what I do - like the majority of employed individuals - represents my company&#039;s face as well, no matter whether in a personal sphere or not. That&#039;s simply the reality of being an adult and being employed.

However, from the descriptions and my understanding, it seems he was not an employee but a co-owner of sorts, which creates legal ramifications if you remove him abruptly, I&#039;m certain. While I am disgusted by his statements and behaviour, I do not believe it fair that the other administration members who have done so much to be inclusive, supportive, and open to the community should be punished.

That said: I look forward to seeing you hiring a capable programmer/coder in the future to replace Thrage, as it seems other companies have done in the past, based on his supposed work history. Until such a time that he is no longer employed in any capacity by your company, I will not be spending money - which previously numbered in the hundreds of dollars per week- on this site, so long as I know that he is receiving any part of my financial contributions.

I will still refer others here as well as keep my adverts on (though monitored in case your subscribed ads slip by something with suspicious behaviour, as ads are famous for getting under the wire to do) out of a desire to help in maintaining the site&#039;s basic needs for maintaining server operation.

The other administration members are between a rock and a hard place with this situation, I believe; Undel and Akiri have proven to be wonderful people so far, and I trust in their ability to moderate and not discriminate or treat others poorly for their beliefs. As they are the current face of those in power of the direction of the website and community, and Thrage will be following their lead rather than being permitted to do as he pleases, I cannot in good faith leave a community and mod team who have proven to be very good people over the horrendous and bigoted behaviour of a single individual.

There is a wonderful array of codesmiths who would be happy to join in helping your community and site, and I hope that in the future you are able to fulfill those roles with people who are kind, considerate, and those who you can be proud to name a staff member.

I look forward to the time when this happens and he is no longer an employee, as I believe that you&#039;ve created something very special here, and I would love to be able to contribute to both the well being of the site as well as your own selves in terms of financial support, but I cannot do that for the time being due to your employment of a person who engages in hate speech.

I&#039;m very sorry that the poor behaviour of a single person has led to such an emotionally and mentally stressful and draining situation for the other kind people who run this site, and I hope that you get some downtime to yourselves and the community is understanding to you as individuals and your own personal opinions not being reflected by the disgusting attitudes of a single person.

Keep on being awesome and doing what you can.
I am not at all pleased that Thrage may yet receive payment for his services here, as I believe that in the professional and business world, that behaviour such as he has exhibited is inexcusable and grounds for termination. Certainly despite the fact that my employer is opinionated, my personal blogs, Facebook, and other online accounts, commentary, and presence in communities are monitored for inappropriate behaviour, as what I do - like the majority of employed individuals - represents my company&#039;s face as well, no matter whether in a personal sphere or not. That&#039;s simply the reality of being an adult and being employed.

However, from the descriptions and my understanding, it seems he was not an employee but a co-owner of sorts, which creates legal ramifications if you remove him abruptly, I&#039;m certain. While I am disgusted by his statements and behaviour, I do not believe it fair that the other administration members who have done so much to be inclusive, supportive, and open to the community should be punished.

That said: I look forward to seeing you hiring a capable programmer/coder in the future to replace Thrage, as it seems other companies have done in the past, based on his supposed work history. Until such a time that he is no longer employed in any capacity by your company, I will not be spending money - which previously numbered in the hundreds of dollars per week- on this site, so long as I know that he is receiving any part of my financial contributions.

I will still refer others here as well as keep my adverts on (though monitored in case your subscribed ads slip by something with suspicious behaviour, as ads are famous for getting under the wire to do) out of a desire to help in maintaining the site&#039;s basic needs for maintaining server operation.

The other administration members are between a rock and a hard place with this situation, I believe; Undel and Akiri have proven to be wonderful people so far, and I trust in their ability to moderate and not discriminate or treat others poorly for their beliefs. As they are the current face of those in power of the direction of the website and community, and Thrage will be following their lead rather than being permitted to do as he pleases, I cannot in good faith leave a community and mod team who have proven to be very good people over the horrendous and bigoted behaviour of a single individual.

There is a wonderful array of codesmiths who would be happy to join in helping your community and site, and I hope that in the future you are able to fulfill those roles with people who are kind, considerate, and those who you can be proud to name a staff member.

I look forward to the time when this happens and he is no longer an employee, as I believe that you&#039;ve created something very special here, and I would love to be able to contribute to both the well being of the site as well as your own selves in terms of financial support, but I cannot do that for the time being due to your employment of a person who engages in hate speech.

I&#039;m very sorry that the poor behaviour of a single person has led to such an emotionally and mentally stressful and draining situation for the other kind people who run this site, and I hope that you get some downtime to yourselves and the community is understanding to you as individuals and your own personal opinions not being reflected by the disgusting attitudes of a single person.

Keep on being awesome and doing what you can.
If you've want to contact me, visit my profile. =) I'm no longer a member for the time being, but I'm always open to chat if anyone has anything they need. <3
[quote name="Tser" date="2013-07-19 14:51:34" url="main.php?p=mb&board=ann&page=7&id=609580#610583"]Since Thrage is going to still be employed here, I believe he should have to undergo some kind of education as a condition of his continued employ, perhaps on business ethics, transgender issues, epilepsy, and/or disability accommodations. In many businesses, this would be standard practice. *shrugs* This is not an attack, simply business sense. [/quote] @Tser This Is a Great idea that fits in the middle, i feel like it would appease people who are not at the "Fire him" or the "how dare you demand he be fired stage" this is a wonderful middle ground that would appease me more then his complete removal Knowledge is really power, it can be better to have him do this then to leave a bad taste in his mouth that just leads to more hate, this idea has my unending support
Since Thrage is going to still be employed here, I believe he should have to undergo some kind of education as a condition of his continued employ, perhaps on business ethics, transgender issues, epilepsy, and/or disability accommodations. In many businesses, this would be standard practice. *shrugs* This is not an attack, simply business sense.

@Tser

This Is a Great idea that fits in the middle, i feel like it would appease people who are not at the "Fire him" or the "how dare you demand he be fired stage"

this is a wonderful middle ground that would appease me more then his complete removal

Knowledge is really power, it can be better to have him do this then to leave a bad taste in his mouth that just leads to more hate, this idea has my unending support
OHHzjgb.gifWXq7q4o.png
[quote name="Raiyen" date="2013-07-19 14:27:14" url="main.php?p=mb&board=ann&page=4&id=609580#610213"]So all of you guys that are rage quitting, can I have your stuff? :D[/quote] This [quote name="Daeodon" date="2013-07-19 14:40:20" url="main.php?p=mb&board=ann&page=5&id=609580#610407"]@Konakuer "What I've learned is, if you don't want to get hurt/offended, when you look at something that may do it, just go away." Except that transphobia is literally everywhere and impossible to avoid. Also what the heck do you even mean by "officially" true? Who decides people's identity? Surely not you.[/quote] Please, grab a dictionary and search for the word "mutilate". Thank you. Also, I don't like transgenders. I dislike the idea of what they are/have done. But I won't insult them, I won't hate them, I won't avoid them. I can talk to them normally, we could even be friends. I still wouldn't like to think about if he has done an operation or something. I don't like the idea of gay "acts" either, and one of my best friends is gay. So yeah, I guess I'm such and homophobic. @Dreadnought His comment about epilepsy was totally out of place, and I could find that actually offensive. For that, I think it was right for the site (or himself) to make a donation. But the whole "trans drama" was from December... Come on, the site wasn't even open. And I still think his point was right, and if it was offensive he didn't really mean to. Anyway, see ya.
So all of you guys that are rage quitting, can I have your stuff? :D

This
@Konakuer "What I&#039;ve learned is, if you don&#039;t want to get hurt/offended, when you look at something that may do it, just go away."
Except that transphobia is literally everywhere and impossible to avoid.

Also what the heck do you even mean by "officially" true? Who decides people&#039;s identity? Surely not you.

Please, grab a dictionary and search for the word "mutilate". Thank you.

Also, I don&#039;t like transgenders. I dislike the idea of what they are/have done. But I won&#039;t insult them, I won&#039;t hate them, I won&#039;t avoid them. I can talk to them normally, we could even be friends. I still wouldn&#039;t like to think about if he has done an operation or something. I don&#039;t like the idea of gay "acts" either, and one of my best friends is gay. So yeah, I guess I&#039;m such and homophobic.

@Dreadnought His comment about epilepsy was totally out of place, and I could find that actually offensive. For that, I think it was right for the site (or himself) to make a donation. But the whole "trans drama" was from December... Come on, the site wasn&#039;t even open. And I still think his point was right, and if it was offensive he didn&#039;t really mean to.

Anyway, see ya.
tumblr_inline_nbefjbkpeK1qg78ij.pngF0xHRgQ.giftumblr_inline_nbefjh6UpE1qg78ij.png
1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18