Announcements & News
The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Ribbon Vistas & Ancient Genes
1 2 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89
This is so amazing!
I'm gonna buy some gems to support the site, that's how much I love that you did this.
This is so amazing!
I'm gonna buy some gems to support the site, that's how much I love that you did this.
41410.png UMA for sale.
[quote name="Antaresia" date="2023-01-20 10:29:23" ] This is so amazing! I'm gonna buy some gems to support the site, that's how much I love that you did this. [/quote] What a great idea! I am too.
Antaresia wrote on 2023-01-20 10:29:23:
This is so amazing!
What a great idea! I am too.
9ha1QnY.png
WHEN I SAW THE POST TITLE I WASN'T EXPECTING [i]LITERAL[/i] PRIDE FLAGS THIS IS SO CUTE AND SWEET ;__; Thank you FR staff and artists!!! [emoji=rainbow size=1][emoji=heart size=1]
WHEN I SAW THE POST TITLE I WASN'T EXPECTING LITERAL PRIDE FLAGS THIS IS SO CUTE AND SWEET ;__; Thank you FR staff and artists!!!
bicatcher.png
Sylveon
Sylveon
Need more den tasks and den gem slots. Too many pretty dragons and I'm all maxed out. I have a dragon hoarding problem.
I DID NOT EXPECT TO SEE PRIDE FLAGS HERE IM SO HAPPYYYYY [emoji=aberration laughing size=2]
I DID NOT EXPECT TO SEE PRIDE FLAGS HERE IM SO HAPPYYYYY
May I suggest [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1049148062569877519/1066064527336157184/image.png[/img] (my inlaws doggy)
May I suggest
image.png
(my inlaws doggy)
tumblr_inline_nbe8duyTA81qg78ij.pngm2YbpzO.pngXx3ZGyj.png
Let's do this, y'all...!
Let's do this, y'all...!
tumblr_pbk4udHSZW1xz2nuuo4_100.pngunknown.pngunknown.pngunknown.png
[quote name="galaxygodling" date="2023-01-20 09:18:16" ] [quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2023-01-19 17:53:07" ] [quote name="Aequorin" date="2023-01-19 16:30:59" ] [quote name="Kuzuryushin" date="2023-01-19 16:28:31" ] Lol, imho the antler joke was funny and discreet enough to be fine. But it's their website and if they want to scrub it down that hard I get it. Am I so out of touch for that 'yikes' surprising me to see? Was it that bad? o_o [/quote] Hello @/Kuzuryushin. We don't want "jokes" in our item descriptions that in the real world don't pass the "can you explain the joke?" test. Thank you! [/quote] [b]this is a genuine question[/b] regarding the "can you explain the joke" test is this in regards to jokes that might be off color/offensive, and making the person telling the joke essentially back down because being forced to explain it makes them look pretty bad? because if it's not that then i don't get it because there's lots of jokes that miss the mark because of peoples differing levels of understanding of things (i literally don't remember what the antlers said so i'm just curious) [/quote] @/hungryhobbits In the cases where someone just doesn’t understand but the joke is still funny, it can generally be explained well enough that they think it’s funny after the fact or can see why it’s funny to others (in-jokes for example). The more a joke relies on bigotry, the more explaining has to be done and it never really says WHY it’s funny. [/quote] I don't think this is a suitable explanation, myself, for all the descriptions. The rack of antlers joke was funny because it was based on colloquial wordplay which wouldnt have worked on any item but antlers. Kind of like a pun. That's why its funny. It wouldn't be funny without the double-meaning for racks - and probably why even some people this joke is "targeting" have found it funny in the past. Because it isn't without a clever element. So, Hobbits is right that one would maybe have to be an English-speaker familiar with certain colloquial distinctive in order to "get it." At least with the antlers as an example. As a counter example, the White Squirrel joke is less clever because you could name anything White X and use the same joke. And, in fact, that item has the same joke attached to it; it's just more subtle. Meanwhile, [i]antlers[/i] are intrinsic to the joke - it only works on antlers. So the "why it's funny" test doesn't work for all these, to me. That it might be considered [i]in poor taste[/i] is as fine a reason as any to change. That said, the "test" does certainly work for other item descriptions, though. But, uh, hopefully that illuminated some confusion.
galaxygodling wrote on 2023-01-20 09:18:16:
hungryhobbits wrote on 2023-01-19 17:53:07:
Aequorin wrote on 2023-01-19 16:30:59:
Kuzuryushin wrote on 2023-01-19 16:28:31:
Lol, imho the antler joke was funny and discreet enough to be fine. But it's their website and if they want to scrub it down that hard I get it.

Am I so out of touch for that 'yikes' surprising me to see? Was it that bad? o_o
Hello @/Kuzuryushin. We don't want "jokes" in our item descriptions that in the real world don't pass the "can you explain the joke?" test. Thank you!
this is a genuine question regarding the "can you explain the joke" test

is this in regards to jokes that might be off color/offensive, and making the person telling the joke essentially back down because being forced to explain it makes them look pretty bad?

because if it's not that then i don't get it because there's lots of jokes that miss the mark because of peoples differing levels of understanding of things

(i literally don't remember what the antlers said so i'm just curious)
@/hungryhobbits
In the cases where someone just doesn’t understand but the joke is still funny, it can generally be explained well enough that they think it’s funny after the fact or can see why it’s funny to others (in-jokes for example). The more a joke relies on bigotry, the more explaining has to be done and it never really says WHY it’s funny.
I don't think this is a suitable explanation, myself, for all the descriptions. The rack of antlers joke was funny because it was based on colloquial wordplay which wouldnt have worked on any item but antlers. Kind of like a pun. That's why its funny. It wouldn't be funny without the double-meaning for racks - and probably why even some people this joke is "targeting" have found it funny in the past. Because it isn't without a clever element. So, Hobbits is right that one would maybe have to be an English-speaker familiar with certain colloquial distinctive in order to "get it." At least with the antlers as an example. As a counter example, the White Squirrel joke is less clever because you could name anything White X and use the same joke. And, in fact, that item has the same joke attached to it; it's just more subtle. Meanwhile, antlers are intrinsic to the joke - it only works on antlers.

So the "why it's funny" test doesn't work for all these, to me. That it might be considered in poor taste is as fine a reason as any to change. That said, the "test" does certainly work for other item descriptions, though. But, uh, hopefully that illuminated some confusion.
Almedha | >30
Clan Lore
Lore Project
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
I consider this a win.
I consider this a win.
Hi! I'm Lodestone/Lammergeier/Trevor. I am a Trans-Masc flight rising player who loves Ridgebacks, Skydancers, and Aberrations.

I use He/Him pronouns primarily but It/Its also works.
PRIDE! :D
PRIDE! :D
1 2 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89