Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | 9th Anniversary - Lair Location Glow-Up
1 2 ... 75 76 77 78 79 80 81
Oh my goodness. Nine-- NINE YEARS?!?!? Where has the time gone??!?

"Sep 03, 2013"...how has it been so long. I can't even believe it. Back then, my friend had me hurry to make an account, because the site would only have sign up periods for three days at a time. Now look at this place.

Flight Rising has grown so much. Great job, everyone.
Oh my goodness. Nine-- NINE YEARS?!?!? Where has the time gone??!?

"Sep 03, 2013"...how has it been so long. I can't even believe it. Back then, my friend had me hurry to make an account, because the site would only have sign up periods for three days at a time. Now look at this place.

Flight Rising has grown so much. Great job, everyone.
Have a suggestion for what to put for an Arcane, magic-loving sort? I don't really mingle much at all, so I don't have anything to put here right now ;u;
[quote name="novakinn" date="2022-06-14 19:52:50" ] [quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2022-06-14 17:22:16" ] [quote name="novakinn" date="2022-06-14 10:32:16" ] [quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2022-06-14 10:15:35" ] @novakinn not ableism in the staff but the main complaints ive seen over the past 4+ years that ive played that numerous disabled players have asked for work on: the captcha for arena (which was made WORSE and is hard to navigate even if you dont have a physical disability), click based familiar bonding, text font/size, lack of dark mode/alternate viewing modes, the lack of a decent app, etc as far as the community, genuinely there is a lot of ableism on this site from other players - whenever disabled players bring up changes that could impact gameplay in a way that would make it easier for them, there's almost always a flood of able-bodied people chiming in about how it would impact the market or THEIR gameplay because that matters more than making sure pivotal parts of the site are actually accessible to all players which some of the issues are related to the way the site is coded i gather, so they have to finish rebuilding the site before they can properly address the numerous issues such as dark mode, but the other ones such as captcha and familiar bonding have had prominent and continuous requests since i started playing 2018 [/quote] oh ok that makes sense then, i am able-bodied but i do agree with complaints of coli captcha, darkmode, fontsizing, and familiar-clicking [mostly because my computer is slow to load new pages sometimes.] but it's ridiculous that people would be offended by these changes for "impacting gameplay" or "changing the market" [whatever that 2nd excuse could mean.] like i'm pretty sure if all those features were added they would be optional and not change any meta whatsoever lmao. i don't lurk around in the suggestions forums that much so i rarely see this nasty side of the site [/quote] re: the changing the market thing - there's a vocal group of players that think if you make a bond all button for familiar bonding it'll tank the treasure market because it'll give people instant (and potentially large amounts of) treasure instead of having to click through every dragon for it, they use the example of max main lair players with fully bonded familiars as a gotcha but that's a small minority of users in the long run but numerous people with mobility/joint/coordination issues and other disabilities have explained in their own ways how it's difficult for them to manage individual bonding - the repetitive motion of [i]right arrow, click, enter[/i] for instance is brought up as a joint lock cause for some people. edit: sorry for the long delay between replies, i was at work ;w;" [/quote] ah, so players just hate the convenience of a "bond all" for the sake of "the grind." they do realize said maxxed lairs will still get their gargantuan amounts of money a day, right? it literally affects nobody negatively if a "bond all" button is added [s]except for players who have joint issues ofcs. big changer for them[/s] tysm for explaining these things to me though, i would've never known! [/quote] I know this isn't the place for it, but that thing about who a bond all button affects negatively isn't quite right so I wanted to clear up some confusion. The thing with the bond-all button (if it gives rewards other than an awakened familiar) is that it will hurt the people who don't have many sources of income the most. Someone with a slightly larger than average size lair of 100 will have 5000t per day and a small lair of 25 will have 1250t per day. This means that the buying power of the already-richer players increases with a single click way more than someone who will now need even more treasure to catch up. Does that make sense? Basically the fear is that it will disadvantage people who can't do these repetitive motions more in the long run because the gap between even the mid-size players play every day and/or who do more things to earn treasure and the ones that can only play a few times a week or only do a few things to earn that treasure will increase. And, yeah, the person who plays a few times a week might at first appreciate the 1250t they get three times a week from that button, but why wouldn't someone who plays every day go hit that one button that gives them 5kt a day? And if even a third of say 3000 players on daily have 100 dragons with familiars on, that's 5,000,000t a day coming in to people who are already on and playing and doing coli (or whatever they do) every day. So you are right, the richest players will not be losing money in any way, they'll be gaining a lot more with their already large lairs and no reason not to continue to coli and exalt like they already are. I don't know what the solution is, but making it ultimately harder for disabled people to compete in the market sure isn't the answer. An often supported alternative is to make a bond-all button that doesn't give monetary and chest rewards because of the disadvantage to more casual players, but they can still fill their bestiaries if they want to with that option... But even still, complaining about disability accomodations on a small art-update thread is just about as off-base as talking about Suggestions in Announcements. So I'll leave it at that.
novakinn wrote on 2022-06-14 19:52:50:
hungryhobbits wrote on 2022-06-14 17:22:16:
novakinn wrote on 2022-06-14 10:32:16:
hungryhobbits wrote on 2022-06-14 10:15:35:
@novakinn not ableism in the staff but the main complaints ive seen over the past 4+ years that ive played that numerous disabled players have asked for work on: the captcha for arena (which was made WORSE and is hard to navigate even if you dont have a physical disability), click based familiar bonding, text font/size, lack of dark mode/alternate viewing modes, the lack of a decent app, etc

as far as the community, genuinely there is a lot of ableism on this site from other players - whenever disabled players bring up changes that could impact gameplay in a way that would make it easier for them, there's almost always a flood of able-bodied people chiming in about how it would impact the market or THEIR gameplay because that matters more than making sure pivotal parts of the site are actually accessible to all players

which some of the issues are related to the way the site is coded i gather, so they have to finish rebuilding the site before they can properly address the numerous issues such as dark mode, but the other ones such as captcha and familiar bonding have had prominent and continuous requests since i started playing 2018

oh ok that makes sense then, i am able-bodied but i do agree with complaints of coli captcha, darkmode, fontsizing, and familiar-clicking [mostly because my computer is slow to load new pages sometimes.]

but it's ridiculous that people would be offended by these changes for "impacting gameplay" or "changing the market" [whatever that 2nd excuse could mean.] like i'm pretty sure if all those features were added they would be optional and not change any meta whatsoever lmao. i don't lurk around in the suggestions forums that much so i rarely see this nasty side of the site
re: the changing the market thing - there's a vocal group of players that think if you make a bond all button for familiar bonding it'll tank the treasure market because it'll give people instant (and potentially large amounts of) treasure instead of having to click through every dragon for it, they use the example of max main lair players with fully bonded familiars as a gotcha but that's a small minority of users in the long run

but numerous people with mobility/joint/coordination issues and other disabilities have explained in their own ways how it's difficult for them to manage individual bonding - the repetitive motion of right arrow, click, enter for instance is brought up as a joint lock cause for some people.

edit: sorry for the long delay between replies, i was at work ;w;"
ah, so players just hate the convenience of a "bond all" for the sake of "the grind." they do realize said maxxed lairs will still get their gargantuan amounts of money a day, right? it literally affects nobody negatively if a "bond all" button is added except for players who have joint issues ofcs. big changer for them

tysm for explaining these things to me though, i would've never known!
I know this isn't the place for it, but that thing about who a bond all button affects negatively isn't quite right so I wanted to clear up some confusion. The thing with the bond-all button (if it gives rewards other than an awakened familiar) is that it will hurt the people who don't have many sources of income the most. Someone with a slightly larger than average size lair of 100 will have 5000t per day and a small lair of 25 will have 1250t per day. This means that the buying power of the already-richer players increases with a single click way more than someone who will now need even more treasure to catch up. Does that make sense?

Basically the fear is that it will disadvantage people who can't do these repetitive motions more in the long run because the gap between even the mid-size players play every day and/or who do more things to earn treasure and the ones that can only play a few times a week or only do a few things to earn that treasure will increase. And, yeah, the person who plays a few times a week might at first appreciate the 1250t they get three times a week from that button, but why wouldn't someone who plays every day go hit that one button that gives them 5kt a day? And if even a third of say 3000 players on daily have 100 dragons with familiars on, that's 5,000,000t a day coming in to people who are already on and playing and doing coli (or whatever they do) every day.

So you are right, the richest players will not be losing money in any way, they'll be gaining a lot more with their already large lairs and no reason not to continue to coli and exalt like they already are.

I don't know what the solution is, but making it ultimately harder for disabled people to compete in the market sure isn't the answer. An often supported alternative is to make a bond-all button that doesn't give monetary and chest rewards because of the disadvantage to more casual players, but they can still fill their bestiaries if they want to with that option...

But even still, complaining about disability accomodations on a small art-update thread is just about as off-base as talking about Suggestions in Announcements. So I'll leave it at that.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
[quote name="Almedha" date="2022-06-19 13:37:24" ] But even still, complaining about disability accomodations on a small art-update thread is just about as off-base as talking about Suggestions in Announcements. So I'll leave it at that. [/quote] @Almedha i mean [i]you're[/i] the one that brought it up again after the last person and i agreed that the discussion was out of place and that we weren't going to continue it [i]here[/i], so... as i said prior, i was originally addressing other people who were originally bringing it up and the conversation got longer than intended. i have put my input in suggestion forums before, i'm pro-bond all. if anyone else wishes to speak with me about it, then you're welcome to dm me or ping me in your own discussion/suggestion thread but you will not be changing my mind on the subject.
Almedha wrote on 2022-06-19 13:37:24:

But even still, complaining about disability accomodations on a small art-update thread is just about as off-base as talking about Suggestions in Announcements. So I'll leave it at that.

@Almedha i mean you're the one that brought it up again after the last person and i agreed that the discussion was out of place and that we weren't going to continue it here, so...

as i said prior, i was originally addressing other people who were originally bringing it up and the conversation got longer than intended. i have put my input in suggestion forums before, i'm pro-bond all.

if anyone else wishes to speak with me about it, then you're welcome to dm me or ping me in your own discussion/suggestion thread but you will not be changing my mind on the subject.
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether
[quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2022-06-20 04:18:42" ] [quote name="Almedha" date="2022-06-19 13:37:24" ] But even still, complaining about disability accomodations on a small art-update thread is just about as off-base as talking about Suggestions in Announcements. So I'll leave it at that. [/quote] @/Almedha i mean [i]you're[/i] the one that brought it up again after the last person and i agreed that the discussion was out of place and that we weren't going to continue it, so... as i said prior, i was originally addressing other people who were originally bringing it up and the conversation got longer than intended. i have put my input in suggestion forums before, i'm pro-bond all. if anyone else wishes to speak with me about it, then you're welcome to dm me or ping me in your own discussion/suggestion thread but you will not be changing my mind on the subject. [/quote] @hungryhobbits Yeah? That's why I said it? I didn't mean to imply that I wasn't somehow out of place or off-base. I was acknowledging that I was both. And I didn't intend to ping you in that post, sorry. It was a long quote and I thought there wasn't anything pinging you; I was talking to the person I quoted directly (I think I pinged them), because they didn't seem to have a strong opinion on the subject and I thought their summation misrepresented the objection.
hungryhobbits wrote on 2022-06-20 04:18:42:
Almedha wrote on 2022-06-19 13:37:24:
@/Almedha i mean you're the one that brought it up again after the last person and i agreed that the discussion was out of place and that we weren't going to continue it, so...

as i said prior, i was originally addressing other people who were originally bringing it up and the conversation got longer than intended. i have put my input in suggestion forums before, i'm pro-bond all.

if anyone else wishes to speak with me about it, then you're welcome to dm me or ping me in your own discussion/suggestion thread but you will not be changing my mind on the subject.
@hungryhobbits
Yeah? That's why I said it? I didn't mean to imply that I wasn't somehow out of place or off-base. I was acknowledging that I was both.

And I didn't intend to ping you in that post, sorry. It was a long quote and I thought there wasn't anything pinging you; I was talking to the person I quoted directly (I think I pinged them), because they didn't seem to have a strong opinion on the subject and I thought their summation misrepresented the objection.
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
@Almedha oh then i genuinely apologize for my shortness, your reply had come across as a little accusatory to me and i responded in kind. [emoji=aberration sad size=1] also you didn't ping me i just came by to check and see if anyone else had replied actually XDDD
@Almedha oh then i genuinely apologize for my shortness, your reply had come across as a little accusatory to me and i responded in kind.

also you didn't ping me i just came by to check and see if anyone else had replied actually XDDD
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether
[quote name="@hungryhobbits" date="2022-06-20 04:52:07" ] @/Almedha oh then i genuinely apologize for my shortness, your reply had come across as a little accusatory to me and i responded in kind. [emoji=aberration sad size=1] also you didn't ping me i just came by to check and see if anyone else had replied actually XDDD [/quote] No worries, I also apologize for my accusatory tone! I definitely need to work on that. Sounds good. [emoji=tundra happy size=1]
@hungryhobbits wrote on 2022-06-20 04:52:07:
@/Almedha oh then i genuinely apologize for my shortness, your reply had come across as a little accusatory to me and i responded in kind.

also you didn't ping me i just came by to check and see if anyone else had replied actually XDDD
No worries, I also apologize for my accusatory tone! I definitely need to work on that. Sounds good.
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
heh this is the first event i didn't quite know about but still managed to collect all the items :D
heh this is the first event i didn't quite know about but still managed to collect all the items :D
YFKv15O.png 7D6Kw9T.png
It's SO GREAT!I love the new wall paper:D(though im a little miss the old one...)but its still a excitinggggggggg change!
It's SO GREAT!I love the new wall paper:D(though im a little miss the old one...)but its still a excitinggggggggg change!
Hello, I'm Lillian. I speak English, Chinese and I'm currently learning French.
They/Their&She/her FR+16
Have a good day!
a bit late to the party, but each time i come on here since this update my feelings are very mixed in regards to the scenery..

i think they look beautiful and i love the idea of having them be actual locations in each respective flight's domain.. though i really wish there was a tiny bit more consideration when it came to keeping the overall palettes the same :(

a huge reason why i fell in love with the earth flight 800 years ago were the nice cool browns, esp in the banner, and now it's so warm it feels like it's a different flight.. the shattered plain icon utilizes a cooler (duller, but in a good way lol) palette, and the world map view of the earth domain in general still has it as a light, cool brown.. so it's just a bit of a bummer

for clarity: not a huge deal or anything. if anything, i hope that if/when we get those additional lair banners that earth (and other flights if this is an issue there too??) will go back to more familiar palettes
a bit late to the party, but each time i come on here since this update my feelings are very mixed in regards to the scenery..

i think they look beautiful and i love the idea of having them be actual locations in each respective flight's domain.. though i really wish there was a tiny bit more consideration when it came to keeping the overall palettes the same :(

a huge reason why i fell in love with the earth flight 800 years ago were the nice cool browns, esp in the banner, and now it's so warm it feels like it's a different flight.. the shattered plain icon utilizes a cooler (duller, but in a good way lol) palette, and the world map view of the earth domain in general still has it as a light, cool brown.. so it's just a bit of a bummer

for clarity: not a huge deal or anything. if anything, i hope that if/when we get those additional lair banners that earth (and other flights if this is an issue there too??) will go back to more familiar palettes

disegno_zen.gif
Guzma ; twenty five ; he/him ; familiar & genone collector
tumblrtoyhouseliquidation thread
Love the new artwork![emoji=familiar heart size=1][emoji=guardian star size=1]
Love the new artwork!
THE PLAGUE WILL SURVIVE
1 2 ... 75 76 77 78 79 80 81