Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | 9th Anniversary - Lair Location Glow-Up
1 2 ... 75 76 77 78 79 80 81
[quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2022-06-14 17:22:16" ] [quote name="novakinn" date="2022-06-14 10:32:16" ] [quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2022-06-14 10:15:35" ] @novakinn not ableism in the staff but the main complaints ive seen over the past 4+ years that ive played that numerous disabled players have asked for work on: the captcha for arena (which was made WORSE and is hard to navigate even if you dont have a physical disability), click based familiar bonding, text font/size, lack of dark mode/alternate viewing modes, the lack of a decent app, etc as far as the community, genuinely there is a lot of ableism on this site from other players - whenever disabled players bring up changes that could impact gameplay in a way that would make it easier for them, there's almost always a flood of able-bodied people chiming in about how it would impact the market or THEIR gameplay because that matters more than making sure pivotal parts of the site are actually accessible to all players which some of the issues are related to the way the site is coded i gather, so they have to finish rebuilding the site before they can properly address the numerous issues such as dark mode, but the other ones such as captcha and familiar bonding have had prominent and continuous requests since i started playing 2018 [/quote] oh ok that makes sense then, i am able-bodied but i do agree with complaints of coli captcha, darkmode, fontsizing, and familiar-clicking [mostly because my computer is slow to load new pages sometimes.] but it's ridiculous that people would be offended by these changes for "impacting gameplay" or "changing the market" [whatever that 2nd excuse could mean.] like i'm pretty sure if all those features were added they would be optional and not change any meta whatsoever lmao. i don't lurk around in the suggestions forums that much so i rarely see this nasty side of the site [/quote] re: the changing the market thing - there's a vocal group of players that think if you make a bond all button for familiar bonding it'll tank the treasure market because it'll give people instant (and potentially large amounts of) treasure instead of having to click through every dragon for it, they use the example of max main lair players with fully bonded familiars as a gotcha but that's a small minority of users in the long run but numerous people with mobility/joint/coordination issues and other disabilities have explained in their own ways how it's difficult for them to manage individual bonding - the repetitive motion of [i]right arrow, click, enter[/i] for instance is brought up as a joint lock cause for some people. edit: sorry for the long delay between replies, i was at work ;w;" [/quote] ah, so players just hate the convenience of a "bond all" for the sake of "the grind." they do realize said maxxed lairs will still get their gargantuan amounts of money a day, right? it literally affects nobody negatively if a "bond all" button is added [s]except for players who have joint issues ofcs. big changer for them[/s] tysm for explaining these things to me though, i would've never known!
hungryhobbits wrote on 2022-06-14 17:22:16:
novakinn wrote on 2022-06-14 10:32:16:
hungryhobbits wrote on 2022-06-14 10:15:35:
@novakinn not ableism in the staff but the main complaints ive seen over the past 4+ years that ive played that numerous disabled players have asked for work on: the captcha for arena (which was made WORSE and is hard to navigate even if you dont have a physical disability), click based familiar bonding, text font/size, lack of dark mode/alternate viewing modes, the lack of a decent app, etc

as far as the community, genuinely there is a lot of ableism on this site from other players - whenever disabled players bring up changes that could impact gameplay in a way that would make it easier for them, there's almost always a flood of able-bodied people chiming in about how it would impact the market or THEIR gameplay because that matters more than making sure pivotal parts of the site are actually accessible to all players

which some of the issues are related to the way the site is coded i gather, so they have to finish rebuilding the site before they can properly address the numerous issues such as dark mode, but the other ones such as captcha and familiar bonding have had prominent and continuous requests since i started playing 2018

oh ok that makes sense then, i am able-bodied but i do agree with complaints of coli captcha, darkmode, fontsizing, and familiar-clicking [mostly because my computer is slow to load new pages sometimes.]

but it's ridiculous that people would be offended by these changes for "impacting gameplay" or "changing the market" [whatever that 2nd excuse could mean.] like i'm pretty sure if all those features were added they would be optional and not change any meta whatsoever lmao. i don't lurk around in the suggestions forums that much so i rarely see this nasty side of the site

re: the changing the market thing - there's a vocal group of players that think if you make a bond all button for familiar bonding it'll tank the treasure market because it'll give people instant (and potentially large amounts of) treasure instead of having to click through every dragon for it, they use the example of max main lair players with fully bonded familiars as a gotcha but that's a small minority of users in the long run

but numerous people with mobility/joint/coordination issues and other disabilities have explained in their own ways how it's difficult for them to manage individual bonding - the repetitive motion of right arrow, click, enter for instance is brought up as a joint lock cause for some people.

edit: sorry for the long delay between replies, i was at work ;w;"

ah, so players just hate the convenience of a "bond all" for the sake of "the grind." they do realize said maxxed lairs will still get their gargantuan amounts of money a day, right? it literally affects nobody negatively if a "bond all" button is added except for players who have joint issues ofcs. big changer for them

tysm for explaining these things to me though, i would've never known!
ezgif-5-d59d01f068.gif
Debbie / Nova
18 - Non-Binary - Any Pronouns
Art Shop | Wishlist
2kdMs.gifUgAP0.gifyv2d9.gifJ2yrF.gifA6sar.gif
I love the new lair artwork!! and then the idea we get to choose our banners later on? that is so cool. [emoji=familiar heart size=1]
I love the new lair artwork!! and then the idea we get to choose our banners later on? that is so cool.
xz9jkpi.png WdjCbzM.png0J2bgbp.png
@novakinn you're welcome! yeah i usually peruse the suggestions so i see a lot of this - there's a lot of features people don't want implemented just because it'll effect the G1 market despite improving other factors of the site/gameplay, their ultimately worthless triple basic dragon has to be sold for 1000g with no issue or their gameplay is being ruined. overall a big hinderance to any discussion on progress is player selfishness.

and like i said, those huge gigamaxed lairs really are a minority, and even if it did impact the market, it would only be temporary and would eventually sort itself out through player manipulation.

but it's like how people were mad about scattersight vials becoming worthless with the introduction of eye vials - they didn't want the eye type feature to be easier for other people who werent hardcore players and couldnt afford their inflated prices. they acted like they were being victimized when there are still people that do scattersight journeys and breeding projects for eyes because they prefer the challenge. they were just mad they could no longer sell their vials for 600g or an ugly g1 / non matchy primal at 1000g each.

in fact probably more primals have been given homes since their prices have become lower, i know i've taken advantage of it and my lair has more primals than i ever thought it would!
@novakinn you're welcome! yeah i usually peruse the suggestions so i see a lot of this - there's a lot of features people don't want implemented just because it'll effect the G1 market despite improving other factors of the site/gameplay, their ultimately worthless triple basic dragon has to be sold for 1000g with no issue or their gameplay is being ruined. overall a big hinderance to any discussion on progress is player selfishness.

and like i said, those huge gigamaxed lairs really are a minority, and even if it did impact the market, it would only be temporary and would eventually sort itself out through player manipulation.

but it's like how people were mad about scattersight vials becoming worthless with the introduction of eye vials - they didn't want the eye type feature to be easier for other people who werent hardcore players and couldnt afford their inflated prices. they acted like they were being victimized when there are still people that do scattersight journeys and breeding projects for eyes because they prefer the challenge. they were just mad they could no longer sell their vials for 600g or an ugly g1 / non matchy primal at 1000g each.

in fact probably more primals have been given homes since their prices have become lower, i know i've taken advantage of it and my lair has more primals than i ever thought it would!
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether
Awww heck I totally missed this.

tumblr y u no show me FR's event posts??? arghhh
Awww heck I totally missed this.

tumblr y u no show me FR's event posts??? arghhh
bbkat1_by_mythsanddreams-d6az7us.png
Happy 9th Anniversary!!!
Happy 9th Anniversary!!!
[quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2022-06-14 17:22:16" ] [quote name="novakinn" date="2022-06-14 10:32:16" ] [quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2022-06-14 10:15:35" ] @novakinn not ableism in the staff but the main complaints ive seen over the past 4+ years that ive played that numerous disabled players have asked for work on: the captcha for arena (which was made WORSE and is hard to navigate even if you dont have a physical disability), click based familiar bonding, text font/size, lack of dark mode/alternate viewing modes, the lack of a decent app, etc as far as the community, genuinely there is a lot of ableism on this site from other players - whenever disabled players bring up changes that could impact gameplay in a way that would make it easier for them, there's almost always a flood of able-bodied people chiming in about how it would impact the market or THEIR gameplay because that matters more than making sure pivotal parts of the site are actually accessible to all players which some of the issues are related to the way the site is coded i gather, so they have to finish rebuilding the site before they can properly address the numerous issues such as dark mode, but the other ones such as captcha and familiar bonding have had prominent and continuous requests since i started playing 2018 [/quote] oh ok that makes sense then, i am able-bodied but i do agree with complaints of coli captcha, darkmode, fontsizing, and familiar-clicking [mostly because my computer is slow to load new pages sometimes.] but it's ridiculous that people would be offended by these changes for "impacting gameplay" or "changing the market" [whatever that 2nd excuse could mean.] like i'm pretty sure if all those features were added they would be optional and not change any meta whatsoever lmao. i don't lurk around in the suggestions forums that much so i rarely see this nasty side of the site [/quote] @novakinn re: the changing the market thing - there's a vocal group of players that think if you make a bond all button for familiar bonding it'll tank the treasure market because it'll give people instant (and potentially large amounts of) treasure instead of having to click through every dragon for it, they use the example of max main lair players with fully bonded familiars as a gotcha but that's a small minority of users in the long run but numerous people with mobility/joint/coordination issues and other disabilities have explained in their own ways how it's difficult for them to manage individual bonding - the repetitive motion of [i]right arrow, click, enter[/i] for instance is brought up as a joint lock cause for some people. edit: sorry for the long delay between replies, i was at work ;w;" [/quote] [b]Edit: I looked back, and I realised I've already changed my mind. A Bond All button would help a lot of people.[/b]
hungryhobbits wrote on 2022-06-14 17:22:16:
novakinn wrote on 2022-06-14 10:32:16:
hungryhobbits wrote on 2022-06-14 10:15:35:
@novakinn not ableism in the staff but the main complaints ive seen over the past 4+ years that ive played that numerous disabled players have asked for work on: the captcha for arena (which was made WORSE and is hard to navigate even if you dont have a physical disability), click based familiar bonding, text font/size, lack of dark mode/alternate viewing modes, the lack of a decent app, etc

as far as the community, genuinely there is a lot of ableism on this site from other players - whenever disabled players bring up changes that could impact gameplay in a way that would make it easier for them, there's almost always a flood of able-bodied people chiming in about how it would impact the market or THEIR gameplay because that matters more than making sure pivotal parts of the site are actually accessible to all players

which some of the issues are related to the way the site is coded i gather, so they have to finish rebuilding the site before they can properly address the numerous issues such as dark mode, but the other ones such as captcha and familiar bonding have had prominent and continuous requests since i started playing 2018

oh ok that makes sense then, i am able-bodied but i do agree with complaints of coli captcha, darkmode, fontsizing, and familiar-clicking [mostly because my computer is slow to load new pages sometimes.]

but it's ridiculous that people would be offended by these changes for "impacting gameplay" or "changing the market" [whatever that 2nd excuse could mean.] like i'm pretty sure if all those features were added they would be optional and not change any meta whatsoever lmao. i don't lurk around in the suggestions forums that much so i rarely see this nasty side of the site

@novakinn re: the changing the market thing - there's a vocal group of players that think if you make a bond all button for familiar bonding it'll tank the treasure market because it'll give people instant (and potentially large amounts of) treasure instead of having to click through every dragon for it, they use the example of max main lair players with fully bonded familiars as a gotcha but that's a small minority of users in the long run

but numerous people with mobility/joint/coordination issues and other disabilities have explained in their own ways how it's difficult for them to manage individual bonding - the repetitive motion of right arrow, click, enter for instance is brought up as a joint lock cause for some people.

edit: sorry for the long delay between replies, i was at work ;w;"
Edit: I looked back, and I realised I've already changed my mind. A Bond All button would help a lot of people.
Lichtdrache.gif
@ above conversation
I think the reason a bond all button wouldn't work is because of ad revenue. Every time you go to a new dragon page, you get a new ad, when you close the familiar popup it's a page refresh and another ad. For medium to large sized lairs that's a lot of ad viewage, and a bond-all button would remove that and would be as much a problem as if you're using an ad block. FR is a business, they need money to run the site and ads provide that.
@ above conversation
I think the reason a bond all button wouldn't work is because of ad revenue. Every time you go to a new dragon page, you get a new ad, when you close the familiar popup it's a page refresh and another ad. For medium to large sized lairs that's a lot of ad viewage, and a bond-all button would remove that and would be as much a problem as if you're using an ad block. FR is a business, they need money to run the site and ads provide that.
q71Kifl.png o_o
maocifer || 227254

sack of meat haphazardly
controlled by dumdum goblin
brain ... with a wishlist
@maocifer ads arent more important than accessibility, i'm aware there is a need for revenue but there are so many pages to visit on FR already, and you'll still get that ad revenue on the dragon regardless when you visit that page. i visit dragons regularly to swap out fully bonded familiars.

and there are people who would probably still prefer to bond individually as opposed to bond all, just as there are people who prefer to breed for eyes than vial or scatterscroll g1's instead of buy/breed the colors they want
@maocifer ads arent more important than accessibility, i'm aware there is a need for revenue but there are so many pages to visit on FR already, and you'll still get that ad revenue on the dragon regardless when you visit that page. i visit dragons regularly to swap out fully bonded familiars.

and there are people who would probably still prefer to bond individually as opposed to bond all, just as there are people who prefer to breed for eyes than vial or scatterscroll g1's instead of buy/breed the colors they want
41328.png -
Candy Coated Dragons
@hungryhobbits of course ads aren't more important than accessibility, I just don't think a bond all button is the way to go about it and ad revenue is a very valid argument considering that flightrising is a business. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes and right now all we know is the team is focused more on refactors than new features so there's nothing to say the team isn't working on accessibility features for after the refactors are finished.
Regardless I don't think this discussion belongs on this post, if you have accessibility feature suggestions they belong in the suggestions forum.

(minor edit made because I don't want to carry on the conversation by posting again, though I do want to clarify that yes, more accessibility features are very much needed and oh lord does the coli 'rest' feature needed to be reworked because I can't tell head from tail in there and my eyes are fine, but new features shouldn't considerably affect the site's "primary*" source of income (*not sure how true this still rings with the growth of the site and the sale of gems, though I expect ad revenue is still a large portion of overall revenue))
@hungryhobbits of course ads aren't more important than accessibility, I just don't think a bond all button is the way to go about it and ad revenue is a very valid argument considering that flightrising is a business. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes and right now all we know is the team is focused more on refactors than new features so there's nothing to say the team isn't working on accessibility features for after the refactors are finished.
Regardless I don't think this discussion belongs on this post, if you have accessibility feature suggestions they belong in the suggestions forum.

(minor edit made because I don't want to carry on the conversation by posting again, though I do want to clarify that yes, more accessibility features are very much needed and oh lord does the coli 'rest' feature needed to be reworked because I can't tell head from tail in there and my eyes are fine, but new features shouldn't considerably affect the site's "primary*" source of income (*not sure how true this still rings with the growth of the site and the sale of gems, though I expect ad revenue is still a large portion of overall revenue))
q71Kifl.png o_o
maocifer || 227254

sack of meat haphazardly
controlled by dumdum goblin
brain ... with a wishlist
@maocifer yeah i agree it doesnt belong here, initially i was responding to a few other people, not just the one person that continued the conversation - especially the person who was claiming that the staff were doing all of their current updates and ignoring people out of malicious ableism. i'd rather not post it again in the suggestions forum because as i've said previously, people are pretty rude about this sort of topic

as a final note: i also understand that there are other more prominent things being worked on behind the scenes (i even mentioned it myself in previous replies)! but it is kind of irritating when people bring up "but ad revenue" as an argument to a potential accessibility option, so you really shouldn't do that in the future

(as a side final note: there are many ways to implement a bond all button, such as a case by case basis as a feature for disabled players)
@maocifer yeah i agree it doesnt belong here, initially i was responding to a few other people, not just the one person that continued the conversation - especially the person who was claiming that the staff were doing all of their current updates and ignoring people out of malicious ableism. i'd rather not post it again in the suggestions forum because as i've said previously, people are pretty rude about this sort of topic

as a final note: i also understand that there are other more prominent things being worked on behind the scenes (i even mentioned it myself in previous replies)! but it is kind of irritating when people bring up "but ad revenue" as an argument to a potential accessibility option, so you really shouldn't do that in the future

(as a side final note: there are many ways to implement a bond all button, such as a case by case basis as a feature for disabled players)
41328.png -
Candy Coated Dragons
1 2 ... 75 76 77 78 79 80 81