Announcements & News
The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Developer Update
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 47 48
[center][permalink][img]https://flightrising.com/dropbox/updates/devupdate.png[/img][/permalink][/center] In today's [b]Developer Update[/b], we review our current site refactor plans, progress, and a new system we're developing for you! [center][permalink][b]Click here to learn more[/b][/permalink].[/center] [more] [br] ----- [size=2][Image Caption: A banner image with the text "Developer Update". This is an image that is reused for each developer update and shows faint simplistic gears surrounding the Developer Update text, and a Monkey Wrench familiar. This familiar is a mechanical monkey with a large wrench over its shoulder. It is a black metal with red and orange highlights.][/size] [br] [b][size=4]Baldwin's Art Update[/size][/b] [b]Launching today[/b] with this Developer Update, Baldwin over at [b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/trading/baldwin]Baldwin's Bubbling Brew[/url][/b] has received an art update! If you can’t see his updated art, please be sure to clear your browser’s cache. [center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/media/baldwin-glow-up.png[/img][/center] [center][I][size=2][Image Caption: Preview of Baldwin's updated artwork.][/size][/I][/center] [b][size=4]Refactor Progress Update[/size][/b] The refactors for [b]Clan Profile[/b] and [b]Gathering[/b] are almost complete! While a refactor isn't a UI overhaul, when these launch you may notice some slight changes to the UI for the sake of styling consistency with the rest of the site. This is particularly true with the Clan Profile refactor which, as we covered in the last [b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/3113646]Developer Update[/url][/b], is receiving a little bit of a “glow up” in the process. We'll be sure to communicate those changes when we launch these refactors. With Clan Profile specifically, we have been using many of your volunteered profiles to stress-test the conversion and make sure we can retain your lovingly-crafted formatting as much as possible. Unfortunately, there will be some rare instances where formatting may break or spacing might be off or different—with so many thousands of uniquely formatted profiles, it’s impossible to achieve 100% perfect transition. We apologize now, in advance, for that inconvenience, and thank you for bearing with us while we update the underlying code to one of [i]Flight Rising[/i]’s oldest pages. [br][br] [indent] [indent] [columns] [b]Feature[/b] [color=green][i]Flight Rising Main Page[/i][/color] [color=green][i]Site Status Box[/i][/color] [color=green][i]Player Registration System[/i][/color] [color=green][i]Login System[/i][/color] [color=green][i]Lair / Hibernal Den[/i][/color] [color=green][i]Dragon Profiles[/i][/color] [color=red]Nesting Grounds[/color] [color=red]Gathering[/color] [color=red]Clan Profile[/color] [color=green]Hoard & Vault[/color] [color=green][i]Bestiary[/i][/color] [color=green][i]Message Center[/i][/color] [color=green]Gem Purchases[/color] [color=green]Marketplace[/color] [color=green][i]Auction House[/i][/color] [color=green][i]Trading Post[/i][/color] [color=green][i]Crim's Collection Cart[/i][/color] [color=green][i]Swipp's Swap Stand[/i][/color] [color=green][i]Pinkerton's Plundered Pile[/i][/color] [color=green][i]Baldwin's Bubbling Brew[/i][/color] [color=green]Tomo's Trivia Tablet[/color] [color=green][i]Crossroads[/i][/color] [color=green][i]Custom Skins[/i][/color] [color=red]Festive Favors[/color] [color=green][i]Fairgrounds[/i][/color] [color=green][i]Coliseum[/i][/color] [color=green]Dominance[/color] [color=green][i]Forums[/i][/color] [color=green]World Map[/color] [color=green][i]Search[/i][/color] [color=green][i]Predict Morphology[/i][/color] [color=green][i]Encyclopedia[/i][/color] [color=green][i]Media[/i][/color] [color=red]Achievements[/color] [nextcol] [b]Status[/b] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=red]Active Development[/color] [color=red]Wrapping Development[/color] [color=red]Wrapping Development[/color] [color=green][I]Refactor Complete![/I][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=red]Active Development[/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=green][i]Refactor Complete![/i][/color] [color=red]Early Development[/color] [/columns] [/indent] [/indent] As you all know, we made this year a focal point for wrapping up as much of our remaining refactor work as possible—well, we’re thrilled with the current progress and pacing of the project and we're looking forward to finally calling it complete. There’s just a bit more to do, but the light is definitely visible at the end of the refactor tunnel! After we launch the Clan Profile and Gathering page refactors, the next pages on our list to refactor are [b]Nesting Grounds[/b] and with it, the [b]Breeding System[/b]. The breeding system, as we would all commonly agree, is [i]Flight Rising[/i]’s backbone, so extra love and care are being taken in replacing it. Clearing these off our plate allows the team to fully focus on new features and any remaining feature revamps we haven’t been able to tackle due to working on two codebases. [b][size=4]Coliseum PVP[/size][/b] Yes, it’s still in development! We apologize for such a long silence on this one. Coliseum is one of the beefiest, most complex systems on the website, so much of the work has been spent really getting in the guts to make sure that PVP not only functions properly, but is built smartly and modularly enough that we can make updating it and expanding it easier in the future. For example, we’re building the PVP system with open-ended multiplayer flexibility in mind. Building it in this way retains the potential for fun things like tournaments or even cooperative play, but we don’t have details or plans to share with you today on that part. [b][size=4]New NPC Shop System[/size][/b] As mentioned during last year’s [i][b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/3044795#post_3044795]Warrior’s Way[/url][/b][/i], [b]we’ve wanted to add a flexible NPC shop system[/b] where we as content developers can spin up any number of NPC merchants and stock them with unique items—perfect for seasonal holidays and especially for ever-growing annual events like [i]Warrior’s Way[/i] and [i]Night of the Nocturne[/i]. Shops are being built a lot like trades you would see at Swipp’s Swap Stand, where the merchant can ask for anything—[i]items, treasure, etc.[/i]—as payment. This allows us to rethink many of the randomized elements of our existing events and give players a little more agency over item acquisition. Work is underway on this system, and we are planning to have it in place for trading related to this August’s [i][b][url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?p=wiki&article=113]Warrior’s Way[/url][/b][/i]. While this system was created with [i]Warrior’s Way[/i] in mind, it will support an ever growing and often changing cast of colorful NPCs eager to trade all year long. Even [b]Joxar[/b] is joining the fun! [b]If development timing permits[/b], the Festive Favors stall will become the very first to function on this new system during [b]Thundercrack Carnivale[/b]. [b][size=4]A Final Note On Our 9th Anniversary Celebration[/size][/b] [b]Because our engineering team has been devoting attention to wrapping up the refactor projects on our slate[/b], we want to let you know in advance that this year’s anniversary event is a little more low-key compared to previous years. There won’t be any new major events or features, but we still have plenty of cool stuff to share with you to ring in another successful and amazing year on [i]Flight Rising[/i]. While we know this might be disappointing to some of you, the decision was made in line with our commitment to an anti-crunch philosophy. Regrettably, COVID has also played a factor for some team members and their families, and we needed to make sure they were given ample time to heal before heading back to work. So, don’t worry—We’ve still got gifts for you! It’s more that we need you to know in advance that this year’s anniversary event won’t quite be the two week affair of discovery and hype like last year’s. [center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/media/doo-doo-doo.png[/img][/center] [center][I][size=2][Image Caption: Two happy little residues who've recently relocated to Baldwin's Bubbling Brew. Are they helpers? Apprentices? Baldwin's beloved [s]besties[/s] familiars?][/size][/I][/center]
devupdate.png

In today's Developer Update, we review our current site refactor plans, progress, and a new system we're developing for you!

[Image Caption: A banner image with the text "Developer Update". This is an image that is reused for each developer update and shows faint simplistic gears surrounding the Developer Update text, and a Monkey Wrench familiar. This familiar is a mechanical monkey with a large wrench over its shoulder. It is a black metal with red and orange highlights.]

Baldwin's Art Update

Launching today with this Developer Update, Baldwin over at Baldwin's Bubbling Brew has received an art update! If you can’t see his updated art, please be sure to clear your browser’s cache.
baldwin-glow-up.png
[Image Caption: Preview of Baldwin's updated artwork.]

Refactor Progress Update

The refactors for Clan Profile and Gathering are almost complete! While a refactor isn't a UI overhaul, when these launch you may notice some slight changes to the UI for the sake of styling consistency with the rest of the site. This is particularly true with the Clan Profile refactor which, as we covered in the last Developer Update, is receiving a little bit of a “glow up” in the process. We'll be sure to communicate those changes when we launch these refactors.

With Clan Profile specifically, we have been using many of your volunteered profiles to stress-test the conversion and make sure we can retain your lovingly-crafted formatting as much as possible. Unfortunately, there will be some rare instances where formatting may break or spacing might be off or different—with so many thousands of uniquely formatted profiles, it’s impossible to achieve 100% perfect transition. We apologize now, in advance, for that inconvenience, and thank you for bearing with us while we update the underlying code to one of Flight Rising’s oldest pages.

Feature

Flight Rising Main Page
Site Status Box
Player Registration System
Login System
Lair / Hibernal Den
Dragon Profiles
Nesting Grounds
Gathering
Clan Profile
Hoard & Vault
Bestiary
Message Center
Gem Purchases
Marketplace
Auction House
Trading Post
Crim's Collection Cart
Swipp's Swap Stand
Pinkerton's Plundered Pile
Baldwin's Bubbling Brew
Tomo's Trivia Tablet
Crossroads
Custom Skins
Festive Favors
Fairgrounds
Coliseum
Dominance
Forums
World Map
Search
Predict Morphology
Encyclopedia
Media
Achievements
Status

Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Active Development
Wrapping Development
Wrapping Development
Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Active Development
Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Refactor Complete!
Early Development

As you all know, we made this year a focal point for wrapping up as much of our remaining refactor work as possible—well, we’re thrilled with the current progress and pacing of the project and we're looking forward to finally calling it complete. There’s just a bit more to do, but the light is definitely visible at the end of the refactor tunnel!

After we launch the Clan Profile and Gathering page refactors, the next pages on our list to refactor are Nesting Grounds and with it, the Breeding System. The breeding system, as we would all commonly agree, is Flight Rising’s backbone, so extra love and care are being taken in replacing it.

Clearing these off our plate allows the team to fully focus on new features and any remaining feature revamps we haven’t been able to tackle due to working on two codebases.

Coliseum PVP

Yes, it’s still in development! We apologize for such a long silence on this one. Coliseum is one of the beefiest, most complex systems on the website, so much of the work has been spent really getting in the guts to make sure that PVP not only functions properly, but is built smartly and modularly enough that we can make updating it and expanding it easier in the future. For example, we’re building the PVP system with open-ended multiplayer flexibility in mind. Building it in this way retains the potential for fun things like tournaments or even cooperative play, but we don’t have details or plans to share with you today on that part.

New NPC Shop System

As mentioned during last year’s Warrior’s Way, we’ve wanted to add a flexible NPC shop system where we as content developers can spin up any number of NPC merchants and stock them with unique items—perfect for seasonal holidays and especially for ever-growing annual events like Warrior’s Way and Night of the Nocturne. Shops are being built a lot like trades you would see at Swipp’s Swap Stand, where the merchant can ask for anything—items, treasure, etc.—as payment. This allows us to rethink many of the randomized elements of our existing events and give players a little more agency over item acquisition.

Work is underway on this system, and we are planning to have it in place for trading related to this August’s Warrior’s Way.

While this system was created with Warrior’s Way in mind, it will support an ever growing and often changing cast of colorful NPCs eager to trade all year long. Even Joxar is joining the fun! If development timing permits, the Festive Favors stall will become the very first to function on this new system during Thundercrack Carnivale.

A Final Note On Our 9th Anniversary Celebration

Because our engineering team has been devoting attention to wrapping up the refactor projects on our slate, we want to let you know in advance that this year’s anniversary event is a little more low-key compared to previous years. There won’t be any new major events or features, but we still have plenty of cool stuff to share with you to ring in another successful and amazing year on Flight Rising. While we know this might be disappointing to some of you, the decision was made in line with our commitment to an anti-crunch philosophy. Regrettably, COVID has also played a factor for some team members and their families, and we needed to make sure they were given ample time to heal before heading back to work.

So, don’t worry—We’ve still got gifts for you! It’s more that we need you to know in advance that this year’s anniversary event won’t quite be the two week affair of discovery and hype like last year’s.
doo-doo-doo.png
[Image Caption: Two happy little residues who've recently relocated to Baldwin's Bubbling Brew. Are they helpers? Apprentices? Baldwin's beloved besties familiars?]
ooh exciting! Baldwin looks so good!
looking forward to all that is to come ♥
ooh exciting! Baldwin looks so good!
looking forward to all that is to come ♥
sales | wishlist
for-sale.png-71.png
==== Let him curse my name
On these blood stained pages of misery
Let him call me a tyrant so cruel
Let him curse my name
But remember the truth
709629.png
oy4b3in.png
Oh no way!!
Oh no way!!
96d3f008007c014a305db108daaaafad6848d180.png
Oooh!
Oooh!
801128-C0-8-C7-A-4640-98-E6-A1-B6-EC0-A3-A60.png
tumblr_inline_ou7qgsczGB1r2ao8y_540.pngtumblr_inline_ojq6ky5FlX1r2ao8y_540.png
Emerald
She/Her
FR+0
tumblr_inline_ojq6ky5FlX1r2ao8y_540.pngtumblr_inline_ou7qgsczGB1r2ao8y_540.png
7-DE5099-A-45-E5-4-CE6-B24-D-E8696-F7385-FA.png
my wishlist
my bio
WOOOOO HERE WE GO BABYY
WOOOOO HERE WE GO BABYY

G1 Hell Raffle
serperior.gif druddigon.gif

turtwig.gif
base-gif-1.gif
Aww, those two slime familiars are adorable!
Aww, those two slime familiars are adorable!
Waaaa!!!
Waaaa!!!
saw the new baldwin and RAN to the home page!
saw the new baldwin and RAN to the home page!
divider_by_yesirukey-dbok0z5.pngdivider_by_yesirukey-dbok0z5.png
Nice
Nice
unknown.png
new baldwin art <3
new baldwin art <3
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 47 48