Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Dev Update: Refactors Keep Rollin'
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 40 41
[center][permalink][img]https://flightrising.com/dropbox/updates/devupdate.png[/img][/permalink][/center] In today's [i]Developer Update[/i], we give you a peek into the progress we're making on our [b]code refactor projects[/b]. [center][permalink][b]Click here to learn more[/b][/permalink].[/center] [more] ----------------------- As we mentioned in [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/3093798][b]our last [i]Developer Update[/i][/b][/url], the engineering team pivoted this year to make a concerted effort to [b]finish refactoring the remaining parts of the [i]Flight Rising[/i] website[/b] that have yet to undergo conversion. Wrapping up refactors allows the website to handle [b]larger player concurrency[/b], improve its showing in [b]search engines[/b], reduce [b]code redundancies[/b], and allows us to [b]focus more time on new and exciting features and content[/b]. Below are some updates to the current projects we're working on. -------------------------- [size=5][b]Launching Today[/b][/size] The following refactors are [b]live[/b] as of this posting: [size=4][b]Crim's Collection Cart[/b][/size] Although [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/trading/crim][i]Crim's Collection Cart[/i][/url] was technically refactored already, we made a few more [b]optimizations[/b] and took the opportunity to spruce up her [b]artwork[/b]! [center][img]https://flightrising.com/dropbox/crimrefresh.png[/img] [I][size=2][Image Caption: Crim got a glow-up! Look at those curls! That grin! She loves building her collections!][/size][/I][/center] [size=4][b]Dominance[/b][/size] The [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dominance][i]Dominance[/i][/url] page received a full [b]1:1 refactor[/b], and is running on all new [b]backend code[/b]. You should notice [b]little to no difference[/b] to this page. --------------------------- [size=5][b]Launching in the Near Future[/b][/size] The following refactors are [b]in development[/b] and will launch in the near future: [size=4][b]Gathering[/b][/size] The [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/gather][i]Gathering[/i][/url] page is receiving mostly [b]minor visual changes[/b] to more closely align it with CSS styling we use in other newer features (i.e. button states, progress bars, etc.) We also took the opportunity to add an [b]elemental rune[/b] to the corner of each gathering job's level container based on the dropdown selection you currently have focused. We received some feedback (both in the Suggestions forum and via some lamenting threads in [i]Flight Rising[/i] Discussion) where players had spent all their gathering turns in the wrong region. It was simple enough to add into the refactor, so we hope this extra visual cue will help alleviate gathering mistakes. [img]http://flightrising.com/dropbox/preview_gatheringrefactor.jpg[/img] [center][I][size=2][Image Caption: A screenshot of the Hunting and Fishing gathering options, now with the elemental symbol to give players a visual indication of the region they're gathering in.][/size][/I][/center] [size=4][b]Clan Profile[/b][/size] Out of all the 1:1 refactors, the [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/clan-profile/13][i]Clan Profile[/i][/url] is perhaps receiving the most significant "glow-up". We're not changing how the page functions at all (any new functions would be in a Clan Profile reVAMP), but are taking the time to really put [b]a fresh coat of paint[/b] on what was one of our most dated-looking pages. Below is a mockup of the direction we're going, though at this stage [b]things are still early and subject to change[/b]. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/dropbox/preview_clanprofile_big02.jpg][img]http://flightrising.com/dropbox/preview_clanprofile_small02.jpg[/img][/url] [I][size=2][Image Caption: The updated Clan Profile page, no longer a 2013 aesthetic. ][/size][/I] [/center] [info]Just a reminder: as we mentioned in the previous Developer Update, although our team is focusing on refactoring pages as quickly as possible, it does not mean that any of these features will not get a revamp in the future. This work simply gets everything on the same codebase, making revamp work much more straightforward in the future.[/info] -------------- [size=5][b]Arlo's Ancient Artifacts[/b][/size] With today's update, we also deployed a change to the [b]Muster Resources[/b] action in [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/trading/archaeology][i]Arlo's Ancient Artifacts[/i][/url]. We've received some feedback that the randomized and opaque spread of resources didn't feel great to interact with. It led to some discussions and claims that some players were being shorted or receiving impossibly low resource counts, so we wanted to make that process a little more transparent for everyone. [b]How it Worked Before:[/b] [indent]When mustering, every player received [b]7-11 random resources[/b], each having a [b]50% chance of being either a pickaxe or a magnifying glass[/b]. They also received 2-5 research notes.[/indent] [b]How it Works Now:[/b] [indent]When mustering, every player will receive [b]2[/b] pickaxes, [b]2[/b] magnifying glasses, and [b]a random assortment of 4-8 more[/b] (again using a 50/50 split for pickaxes/magnifying glasses). [b]Players will never get fewer than a cumulative spread of 8 pickaxes and magnifying glasses[/b]. Research notes remain unchanged (2-5).[/indent] We hope that making the change and describing how it works will help alleviate some of the frustration and confusion that had surrounded this part of the feature. Not only does this change result in more certainty when mustering resources, it is also a slight boost to the action's output. [b]This change was implemented during our last rollover period[/b], meaning that anyone that has already mustered their resources today has benefited from the change! We are still gathering feedback and considering further changes to [i]Arlo's Ancient Artifacts[/i], but don't have any information to share right now. ------------------ [b][size=5]Mistral Jamboree Skin Contest[/size][/b] [emoji=wind rune size=1] The ninth annual Mistral Jamboree will begin March 27, 2022, and we're running a skin and accent contest in celebration![url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/skin/3110272] Click here for more information![/url] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/skin/3110272][img]https://flightrising.com/dropbox/wind_contest.png[/img][/url][/center] ----------------- And that's it! Thanks for tuning into this Developer Update, and we'll continue to work hard and provide you with further check-ins as we have news to share.
devupdate.png

In today's Developer Update, we give you a peek into the progress we're making on our code refactor projects.

As we mentioned in our last Developer Update, the engineering team pivoted this year to make a concerted effort to finish refactoring the remaining parts of the Flight Rising website that have yet to undergo conversion.

Wrapping up refactors allows the website to handle larger player concurrency, improve its showing in search engines, reduce code redundancies, and allows us to focus more time on new and exciting features and content.

Below are some updates to the current projects we're working on.

Launching Today

The following refactors are live as of this posting:

Crim's Collection Cart

Although Crim's Collection Cart was technically refactored already, we made a few more optimizations and took the opportunity to spruce up her artwork!
crimrefresh.png
[Image Caption: Crim got a glow-up! Look at those curls! That grin! She loves building her collections!]

Dominance

The Dominance page received a full 1:1 refactor, and is running on all new backend code. You should notice little to no difference to this page.

Launching in the Near Future

The following refactors are in development and will launch in the near future:

Gathering

The Gathering page is receiving mostly minor visual changes to more closely align it with CSS styling we use in other newer features (i.e. button states, progress bars, etc.) We also took the opportunity to add an elemental rune to the corner of each gathering job's level container based on the dropdown selection you currently have focused.

We received some feedback (both in the Suggestions forum and via some lamenting threads in Flight Rising Discussion) where players had spent all their gathering turns in the wrong region. It was simple enough to add into the refactor, so we hope this extra visual cue will help alleviate gathering mistakes.

preview_gatheringrefactor.jpg
[Image Caption: A screenshot of the Hunting and Fishing gathering options, now with the elemental symbol to give players a visual indication of the region they're gathering in.]

Clan Profile

Out of all the 1:1 refactors, the Clan Profile is perhaps receiving the most significant "glow-up". We're not changing how the page functions at all (any new functions would be in a Clan Profile reVAMP), but are taking the time to really put a fresh coat of paint on what was one of our most dated-looking pages. Below is a mockup of the direction we're going, though at this stage things are still early and subject to change.
preview_clanprofile_small02.jpg
[Image Caption: The updated Clan Profile page, no longer a 2013 aesthetic. ]

Just a reminder: as we mentioned in the previous Developer Update, although our team is focusing on refactoring pages as quickly as possible, it does not mean that any of these features will not get a revamp in the future. This work simply gets everything on the same codebase, making revamp work much more straightforward in the future.

Arlo's Ancient Artifacts

With today's update, we also deployed a change to the Muster Resources action in Arlo's Ancient Artifacts. We've received some feedback that the randomized and opaque spread of resources didn't feel great to interact with. It led to some discussions and claims that some players were being shorted or receiving impossibly low resource counts, so we wanted to make that process a little more transparent for everyone.

How it Worked Before:

When mustering, every player received 7-11 random resources, each having a 50% chance of being either a pickaxe or a magnifying glass. They also received 2-5 research notes.

How it Works Now:

When mustering, every player will receive 2 pickaxes, 2 magnifying glasses, and a random assortment of 4-8 more (again using a 50/50 split for pickaxes/magnifying glasses). Players will never get fewer than a cumulative spread of 8 pickaxes and magnifying glasses. Research notes remain unchanged (2-5).

We hope that making the change and describing how it works will help alleviate some of the frustration and confusion that had surrounded this part of the feature. Not only does this change result in more certainty when mustering resources, it is also a slight boost to the action's output.

This change was implemented during our last rollover period, meaning that anyone that has already mustered their resources today has benefited from the change!

We are still gathering feedback and considering further changes to Arlo's Ancient Artifacts, but don't have any information to share right now.

Mistral Jamboree Skin Contest

The ninth annual Mistral Jamboree will begin March 27, 2022, and we're running a skin and accent contest in celebration! Click here for more information!
wind_contest.png

And that's it! Thanks for tuning into this Developer Update, and we'll continue to work hard and provide you with further check-ins as we have news to share.
Flight Rising Developer
Project Management | Engineering Team Cheerleader | UI Designer
Ohhhh how nice Crim looks now!
And I love that change to Arlo's. Was getting only glasses c':
Ohhhh how nice Crim looks now!
And I love that change to Arlo's. Was getting only glasses c':
NmS5GYp.png LRsHRNT.png b8wk9GD.png DtPHRBn.png
Sweet! I really like the changes coming to the gathering feature, gives it some more depth :> Really cool that Arlo's Artifacts has been tweaked as well!
Sweet! I really like the changes coming to the gathering feature, gives it some more depth :> Really cool that Arlo's Artifacts has been tweaked as well!
i just want to center this
;P
Yk2KjDd.png
Colby | Cryptid
aC86tUH.png
jA5A7gu.png
y3yhMwX.png
fdUVIfW.png
y5cUkpH.png
Quick reminder for everyone to stay on topic, please. And remember to post your suggestions to the Suggestions Forum. Thank you!
Quick reminder for everyone to stay on topic, please. And remember to post your suggestions to the Suggestions Forum. Thank you!
oh! Crim looks even scarier now but I love her
oh! Crim looks even scarier now but I love her
YAzXKmc.gif
Sounds super awesome!!
I'm really excited about the user page getting a facelift. I've been playing since 2013, so I know how dated that is lolll
Sounds super awesome!!
I'm really excited about the user page getting a facelift. I've been playing since 2013, so I know how dated that is lolll
i just want to center this
;P
plague.png
Lyssa | Moth
aC86tUH.png
jA5A7gu.png
ZqTATLu.png
fdUVIfW.png
plaguef1.png
Ooh, cool!
Ooh, cool!
Await
they/them

Hello! You can call me Await, Rayne, or Mysty, whichever you prefer.
FR +3
OHH CRIM LOOKS SO GOOD!! :OO

thank you for the update about gathering and clan profiles! can't wait to see how things'll turn out! \o/
OHH CRIM LOOKS SO GOOD!! :OO

thank you for the update about gathering and clan profiles! can't wait to see how things'll turn out! \o/
5KyfVO0.png
Y3ss5jo.pngrjlFFu0.pngV4C7iqz.pngvD2mGJA.pngZAD0xZG.pngiuGyQfp.png
VR2c9ts.png
Love the Arlo update!!
Love the Arlo update!!
@Yews they/them
My favourite dragon
Arcane Battlestone Bank
Arcane Food Bank
secrets_for_center_purposes
01110111 01101000 01111001 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110100 01110010 01100001 01101110 01110011 01101100 01100001 01110100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100100 01100001 01101101 01101110 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101110 01110101 01110100
ssecretssFRT +10
secreteswSnrS.png
secretHouhGS9.pngsecret
woo!!
woo!!
Screen_Shot_2023-12-25_at_10.14.01_AM.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 40 41