Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Community Update, December 2020
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23 24
[center][permalink][img]http://flightrising.com/dropbox/communityupdate_w.png[/img][/permalink][/center] In today's update, a veteran moderator returns! We also have the Item Caption Contest winners and many answers to your many questions in Ask the Team. This is a big update, so pull up a seat, refill your coffee, tea, or water, and settle in! [permalink][center][b]Click here to read more![/b][/center][/permalink][more] [br] ----- [b][size=5]Welcome back, Alphaeon! [/size][/b] We're excited to welcome back a veteran volunteer moderator—@Alphaeon! [center][url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&tab=userpage&id=13578][img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/184467440737095520/18446744073709551576p.png[/img][/url][/center] Alphaeon's also a veteran moderator of the [b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/bug]Bug Reports forum[/url][/b] and you might see this blue and gold macaw flying about there from time to time! Please give a warm welcome (or welcome [i]back[/i]) to the newest member of the volunteer moderator squad! [br] ----- [b][size=5]Item Caption Contest 7[/size][/b] In our [b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/2885560]last Community Update[/url][/b] we announced the [b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2885076#post_2885076]Item Caption Contest[/url][/b] and now—a couple thousand entries later—the results are in! The winners are credited in the tooltip of the item, and they'll receive a copy of the item they wrote for, the writer's vista applied to their account, and 1000 gems. Thank you to everyone who participated, and congratulations to our winners! [center]@MelonLeaves @Hahoe @Serpentinite @AthenaMinerva @Exlann @Orodruin @HurricaneWinds @AloVra @Winterrox66 @Mantekrea @RainChild @Chlorine @Zif @Chirp @Tserin @Gannet @elodieglass @Stormdance[/center] [center][item=selenite][item=ruby][item=sapphire] [item=fanfish][item=currents fanfish][item=killer fanfish] [item=cucumber][item=dubious cucumber][item=merry melon] [item=slumber sheep][item=sheep][item=not a sheep] [item=petite glasswing butterfly][item=glasswing rake][item=shatterwing butterfly] [item=old tin pot][item=crusty copper pot][item=rusted iron pot][/center] [I](There's a bit of a delay with the captions in the forums, but you can read them in the [b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/game-database]Game Database!)[/url][/b][/I] [br] ----- [b][size=5]Ask the Team[/size][/b] Do you have a burning question about [i]Flight Rising[/i] lore that hasn't been addressed yet? Are you curious about our development process or philosophy? Maybe you're interested in learning more about the game itself? If you do, send us a message through Contact Us using the category [b]Ask the Team![/b] [center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/media/asktheteamcats.png[/img] [/center] [b][size=4]How It Works[/size][/b] [list=1][*]Navigate to our [b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/site/contact-us]Contact Us webform[/url][/b]. [*]Select the "Ask the Team" category in the dropdown menu. [*]Fill out the required fields, including your question. [*]Submit your completed webform.[/list] You will receive an automated reply confirming receipt of your question. When you use the "Ask the Team" category your question is tagged for the team to review. [b][size=4]Ask the Team Answers[/b][/size] Questions submitted to us through the "Ask the Team" category will be answered in our Community Updates. [i][b]Note:[/b] While we won't be able to answer every question sent to us, all questions are documented for the [i]Flight Rising[/i] team to review, both now and in the future.[/i] [b][size=4]As Always[/size][/b] We don't provide estimated release dates, privileged information, or discuss account actions with third-parties. We understand there may be a preference for the weekly/bi-monthly stickied thread. Our goal with this new format (Contact Us webform category and answers in Community Updates) is to answer more than a small (and rushed) handful of questions at a time. Now on to your questions! [br][br] [b][size=4]Lore[/size][/b] [quote]Hello! A question popped into my mind while I was looking at unhatched eggs. The items can be freely transferred between players of different flights, but in-universe: once an egg has been laid and absorbed enough magic to have a clear element, can it be transported to other elemental regions without rotting/etc or would it be too affected by the change in magic for that to be safely done?[/quote] The direct lore answer to your question is that the egg would survive and simply retain its element, shielded magically by its outer shell. The development lore answer that removing the old egg rot mechanic was part of our choice to make all dragon eggs a bit more hardy and magically robust in nature. It's also part of the reason why we created things like Nocturne, Bogsneak, and Banescale eggs in addition to the unhatched elemental ones. [center]---[/center] [quote]Plague dragons are all about survival and it's been said before that they wouldn't cure a sick dragon's illness because they believe the dragon should fight the infection themselves. Does this apply to all forms of medicine/care in Plague flights? Do Plague clans have doctors/healers that provide supportive care for injuries and illness?[/quote] Plague healers are an interesting bunch because rather than administer treatments that counter illness, they use a mixture of magic and contagion that stress the affected dragon further, allowing them to reach a stronger, healed, and resistant state faster than other elements. Plague healers will treat physical injuries with sutures, bandages, and braces, but they won't clean the wounds or apply ointments. [center]---[/center] [quote]is there any detailed lore information out there on miths? a lot of them seem to be connected to lightning in particular, is that more of a coincidence or deliberate? how tiny are they? i just LOVE miths id love to hear anything else on them!!![/quote] There's something to be said here about moths being attracted to electrical light sources... [center]---[/center] [quote]Can we expect to see anything new relating to Talona and the beastclan alliance anytime soon? I feel as though that's a segment of the site's lore that doesn't really get touched on all that much, and while I totally understand why (I imagine BOTE related stuff is probably the main priority in terms of lore right now), I would still like to know if there are any plans for it. [/quote] No immediate plans or events, but it's possible we'll be fleshing out Talona and her followers in the future a bit down further down the line. [center]---[/center] [quote]If courier dragons, like Edgar, Spitfire, and Pearl, are not members of the flights and don't owe any allegiance to the flights, then how were they created? Did they exist during the time where Ancients were created by the deities? Were they just conveniently around to help clans? ----- Hello! I was wondering if there was any information on the courier dragons, specifically where they came from, who they are, what they are like, and if they are all the same species and more specifically if said species has a name. I love the NPCs on FR, they really feel like a family, and I don’t know if there’s any info on the three little pals! Thank you so much for you time! [/quote] While the elemental flights are incredibly important to the overall lore and gameplay for [i]Flight Rising[/i], there are many, many dragons that may have "hatched into" their origin element, but have since eschewed banners and exercise no allegience. While not uncommon, how these free agent dragons are regarded differs from clan-to-clan. The couriers were likely some of the first to strike out on their own, and did so en masse! [center]---[/center] [quote]I noticed while drawing one of my Ridgebacks that the females have a super long claw on their hands and feet. What's this used for, and why don't the males have it? Thanks![/quote] Males have these long claws as well! They're used to disembowel prey and can fold neatly back out of the way when burrowing. [center]---[/center] [quote]Rocs are said to be "bigger than a dragon" in one of the item descriptions, and Fiona's isn't that much bigger than her own small size (comparatively), so does that mean hers is a young roc? I imagine the size wouldn't be noteworthy enough to put on a description if it meant 'any' dragon due to the size of faes and spirals![/quote] Prudence is an adult Roc, but is much smaller than average—how could such a delicate flower survive on her own!? Fiona simply [i]had[/i] to take her in! There's absolutely [i]no way[/i] such a defenseless jewel would have been able to fend for herself in the wild! [center]---[/center] [quote]I love the NPCs and wanted to know more about them so I was hoping if I could ask some questions about them! Where does Joxar go in between festivals? How does he get the familiars and apparel? How did everyone at the Trading Post meet? Are they all friends or are they just colleagues? If Pipp and Tripp are Swipp’s children, what happened to their mom? How long have Tomo and Scribbles known each other? Are they in a relationship?[/quote] [LIST=1] [*]Joxar is so enthusiastic about festivals that he spends just about every waking moment between preparing for the next one. [*]The Trading Post is a collaborative meeting space for Sornieth's most prolific hawkers and merchants, but the 'post' itself is uprooted every so often and the entire company moves to another location to reach new customers. At each new location, there's a chance a new dragon will join the roving caravan. And sometimes the group will set up shop in the mountains, beaches, or valleys where no roads exist and part of why we can't call it the Crossroads in canon! [*]Pipp and Tripp are caravan orphans, adopted by Swipp during his travels. Their adoptive mother is off finding new merchandise and deals from far and wide! They see her serveral times yearly, but she isn't a large a figure in their life as their father and the other denizens of the Trading Post are. [*]Tomo and Scribbles have been companions for a long, long time, and only Scribbles probably remembers just how long. They're steadfast friends! [/LIST] [center]---[/center] [quote]I've always wondered about a specific detail about Nocturnes when I noticed this flavor text. On the Mirror item, it states that Nocturnes often "have trouble seeing themselves within the scratched glass". Do Nocturnes not have the ability to see their reflections in any mirror, or is that coincidentally the only mirror they can't see themselves in?[/quote] This was mostly a vampire joke, considering Nocturne dragons are very bat-like in appearance. But we suppose that would extend to other reflective surfaces as well! [center]---[/center] [quote]How exactly does the goop dripping from Shadowbinder's body work? Does it spill forever? Does it leave a trail on the ground? Is it only in the artwork? Same with shadow primal.[/quote] The liquid shadows falling from Shadowbinder's body are produced constantly, and do linger for decades unless countered by direct intervention from Lightweaver. The shadow primal eyes are a lesser manifestation than Shadowbinder's, and linger only for a few moments before dissipating. [center]---[/center] [quote]I've been dying to know forever :( Does she [Flamecaller] walk on two legs or four? She's obviously rearing in her on-site art, but it doesn't betray her normal stance.[/quote] She can assume both gaits, though is slightly faster on all fours. This doesn't matter much, as on the occassions where she requires swiftness, she'll fly. [center]---[/center] [quote]So... I never really though about dragon adolescence, mainly because we only have a hatchling phase and a dragon phase.... But recently it struck me that the dragons still seemed to grow in size even after turning adult for a while. So, I was left with a few questions. How long does it take for them to adhere adult size? Does it change by species? Does it alter their behavior? Do they learn how to fly only when they are adolescent or already as a baby? Also... do they consider this adolescence or just a last phase of growth? Sorry for the many questions and thanks for taking a look anyway :)[/quote] Dragons reach their final adult proportions by the time their very first (e.g. from birth) breeding cooldown has expired. [center]---[/center] [quote]In the lore, it says that Gaoler are expected to join an Order once they come of age, lest be seen as only a child. The problem is, 4/5 of these orders aren't able to leave the Fortress of Ends. How does this work for Gaoler outside of the Southern Icefield? Are they all seekers? Or is the culture different now that the Gaoler have begun to wander?[/quote] When the Icewarden sealed away the gaolers, the Orders basically calcified. The only gaolers not currently re-evaluating their social structure as it pertains to modern Sornieth are the Overseers and the Sentinels. Failure is not an option for these Orders as the consequences would be far-reaching. Whatever changes are made within their home territory will be built around providing continued support for the Overseers and Sentinels. [center]---[/center] [quote]Hello! I was wondering what happened to Garote, Liefa and Yunoga after the story "The Seed and The Sickness" from Bounty of the Elements? Is Garote okay? Did he survive? And about Liefa: was the First Seed contained? What did Yunoga's note mean??? (Thanks in advance~)[/quote] You'll have to wait and see! [center]---[/center] [quote]In the lore story Ancient Fascinations several dragons of a clan go missing, and as of right now there is no resolution to the story. Are we going to learn what happens at some point? I'm not asking for any sort of release date, I just want to know if we'll get that resolution. https://flightrising.com/main.php?p=wiki&article=97[/quote] Yes. [center]---[/center] [quote]How would Breed-change scrolls and similar items work on Emperor Dragons lore-wise? Would they even work at all?[/quote] Emperor dragons are no longer living dragons. Scrolls work on dragons who are alive [I]and[/I] are also active on Sornieth. Dragons who are alive but have attained exaltment in service to their elemental deity are also [b]not[/b] eligible. [center]---[/center] [quote]Roughly how many dragons exalted to the Icewarden are set to the task of combing his paw fur? I'd imagine it'd get very tangled very quickly without proper maintenance![/quote] If we tried to answer this question, we'd be here all week counting the many dragons and their many fine toothed combs. [center]---[/center] [b][size=4]Development[/size][/b] [quote]Hello, I just wanted to ask about the recent festival familiar, as I'm very curious what the answer is! I wanted to know what your idea behind making the Burning Virgo a serthis? Was there a connection or a reference you wanted to convey? I made a forum post about this but someone has informed me I should have contacted you through here instead. I apologize! I await to hear from you, and as always thank you for making such wonderful content year round![/quote] Generally, the question we ask ourselves every time we start creating new creatures or areas is: does this look like it would fit within the world of [i]Flight Rising[/i]? In this case, a Serthis just felt like it made sense for Sornieth. [center]---[/center] [quote]hello! there was a poll a while ago about flight rising merch, specifically enamel pins, and the choices were between deity busts, deity chibis and elemental symbols. is there a plan to release any of those in future?[/quote] We're still working on merch behind-the-scenes but don't have any major updates ready to share. Thanks for taking interest! [center]---[/center] [quote]Hello! I adore Flight Rising's art style and, as an artist myself, have always been curious about the process behind its various art assets. Is there any chance we could have a little glimpse of what goes on behind the scenes, like with designing apparel/familiars, or creating genes? Or maybe how the coliseum enemy sprites are animated? Thanks for your time![/quote] One of the things that's special about our team is that we bring a lot of different styles and workflows together to make the game. I think we'd love to start exploring sharing some of that with you in our official Dev Stream, so keep an eye out for announcements about that in the future. [center]---[/center] [quote]How does the Game Database determine the Gene Color matching? It's a great tool but the colors seem to be pretty hit-or-miss, like the Red-Winged Owlcat which only has blacks and browns listed, and not a single red or orange.[/quote] Since this is a pretty technical question, we went right to the source and got an answer from @Kaepora. Here's what he had to say: [indent][I]Since artwork rarely contains an exact gene color, every pixel in an image is evaluated for a closest match, as calculated by comparing the amount of red, green, and blue in the color. As long as the match isn’t too far off, that gene color gets 1 point. In the end, the gene colors with the most points are listed, others get cut. The Red-Winged Owlcat is an interesting example. If you look quite closely, there isn’t really that much red! The “red” areas are full of wildly shifting yellows, oranges, and (in the shadows) browns. Sable is actually the most prominent color in that area due to shadows on the back wing, but our eyes think of it as orange/red because we know it’s in shadow. Hopefully this explains why some results are counter-intuitive, even though they are calculated in a standard way.[/i][/indent] [center]---[/center] [quote]I was rewatching some of the old YouTube videos on the FR channel and came across the skin tutorial and how it all works and now I'm wondering, did the team ever think that skins and accents would turn out the way they do now with all the funky and interesting designs and that they'd be such a popular part of the site?[/quote] Skins, quite honestly, took us by surprise. We knew that there would be a legion of talented artists joining [i]Flight Rising[/i], but the community that sprung up around creators has been amazing to see. [center]---[/center] [quote]So I can guess you probably have been asked this before but I searched around and couldn't find any information about this. So I'm just curious but is there a way that I could get custom dragons?[/quote] This is a suggestion and request we hear often. [i]Flight Rising[/i] is a virtual pet simulator with breeding as the core mechanic. A custom dragon creator bypasses the breeding mechanic entirely. We realize that it's fun to customize dream dragons though, so we created the Scrying Workshops Predict Morphology feature to allow you to dream up the best dragons possible! [center]---[/center] [quote]So recently i began to focus more on my clan’s lore and wanted to make an evil clan to oppose my own clan. Though it is only early stages, one idea i had was for them to be a cult-clan. Not just your usual standing around in robes deal, but sacrifices and worshipping an evil being. The sacrifices wont be in much detail of course and there wont be any unnecessary torture elements to it and vague mentions of gore- but i just wanted to make sure this idea is okay for flight rising? If not i can think of something else, maybe even still cult related but not as dark![/quote] [b][url=https://flightrising.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004949203-Obscene-Vulgar]Any references to violence or gore in player-generated content posted on our site must be in line with our existing lore:[/url][/b] [info]Any reference to violence or injury must be in line with existing [i]Flight Rising[/i] lore. Content focused on slavery, child abuse, excessive violence/gore, or communicates intent to commit a real-life act of violence is not allowed. This also includes using dragon names, account names, dragon biographies, clan profiles, clan broadcasts to promote or display information like the above, up to and including real world tragedies, criminals, and genocide. (2019-08-23)[/info] [center]---[/center] [quote]I know that you aren't giving ETAs for features or things like that, I'm just wondering if Adventure mode is still planned or if it has been scrapped. If it is still planned can you give us any more details about it[/quote] Adventure Mode (or whatever we ultimately call it) is currently in the [i][b]very early[/b][/i] stages of development, and has absolutely not been scrapped. One thing we'd like the community to know is that there are a vast array of moving parts to Adventure Mode and it actually requires a lot of internal tool development as well, so the work is slow-going. The feature will not only be an additional regular activity on the website, but a progression of [i]Flight Rising's[/i] ongoing story. Our team (comprised of folks all over the country) got together for a team summit one weekend last fall (2019) to really dig into the backbone of the story and framework we wanted to build so we can plan for the longterm. It's a large undertaking! It's still too early for us to share very much, but a lot of your lore-related questions (as well as some of our open cliffhangers) stand to be addressed in the addition of this feature. [center]---[/center] [quote]In the hover over for the tattertail chicks it states ""eat this before it eats you"" Does this mean tattertail chicks are large or does this mean that tattertail chicks are an army of tiny meat eaters willing to nibble at dragons? I must know.[/quote] [i]Om nom nom nom![/i] [center]---[/center] [quote]Would the Flight Rising team ever consider adding features to cancel or prevent breeding dragons?[/quote] We used to have a mechanic like that! Egg Rot was deeply unpopular, so away it went. We don't have plans to implement a way to cancel or discard nests given the random nature of nests. We added a pop-up modal asking players if they're sure they want to breed two dragons before the nest is laid to prevent accidental nests. [center]---[/center] [quote]How would one go about getting a job on the flight rising team? What are your qualifications and recommended experience?[/quote] By keeping an eye on our [b][url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?p=wiki&article=74]Employment Opportunities[/b][/url] page! While requirements may vary from position to position, all applicants must be 18 years of age or older, be able to work in or contract to the United States, and have job experience or a portfolio relevant to the position they're applying for. [center]---[/center] [quote]Hi, What is your policy on writing Flight Rising fanfiction? Thanks![/quote] Who here hasn't written a little blurb [i](or a lot!)[/i] of fanfiction? Seriously though, fan fiction is just that—fan fiction. We ask players don't post anything on our site that violates our [b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/site/terms-use]Terms of Use[/url][/b] or [b][url=https://flightrising.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/201441323]Rules & Policies[/url][/b] and that you don't monetize fan fiction that uses our IP. We retain all rights to our IP, copyright, and trademark. [center]---[/center] [quote]What was the biggest obstacle for you guys during the early years of Flight Rising? How did you get over the obstacle? Now that you have more experience under your belt, do you think you would have handled that obstacle diffierently, with hindsight and, again, more experience at hand?[/quote] Like a lot of startups, Stormlight Workshop began pretty small. In the early days, team members wore a dozens of hats and had to be extremely flexible to the different needs a blossoming project demanded. Thankfully, we've been successful enough to expand the team and allow people to specialize into roles they are particularly adept at. Division of responsibilities and delegation have been a huge boon to [i]Flight Rising[/i] as it continues into its 8th year, and given many of us the peace of mind to contribute to its ongoing growth with a lot more certainty and deliberation. [center]---[/center] [quote]I’m kinda dying of curiosity over here because I am wondering who names all the images you use for announcements. Is it one of you devs? Or is it just someone you work with, with no site presence?[/quote] We name them! [center]---[/center] [quote]I'm interested in applying to be a volunteer moderator![/quote] We have a page in the [b][url=https://flightrising.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005292486-What-are-volunteer-moderators-What-do-they-do-]Knowledge Base[/url][/b] for that! [center]---[/center] [quote]When artists share fanwork of Flight Rising, does the social media team mind if the artists tag the Flight Rising social media accounts in their postings? I want to effectively promote and credit the site, but I do not want to cause any grief to the social media account’s notifications (which is a common occurrence on twitter if an account is tagged). I also do not want to negatively interfere with the SM team’s work.[/quote] Tag away! Thank you for the consideration, but please, feel free to tag the account when you're sharing your fan art. And if you use [b]#FRFanArt[/b] when you post your fan art, it could be retweeted, reblogged, or spotlit in a Community Update. [br] ----- That's it for today's update! The FRFanArt Spotlight will return in our next Community Update, which will also spotlight the player run elemental festival events!
communityupdate_w.png

In today's update, a veteran moderator returns! We also have the Item Caption Contest winners and many answers to your many questions in Ask the Team. This is a big update, so pull up a seat, refill your coffee, tea, or water, and settle in!

Click here to read more!

Welcome back, Alphaeon!

We're excited to welcome back a veteran volunteer moderator—@Alphaeon!
18446744073709551576p.png

Alphaeon's also a veteran moderator of the Bug Reports forum and you might see this blue and gold macaw flying about there from time to time! Please give a warm welcome (or welcome back) to the newest member of the volunteer moderator squad!

Item Caption Contest 7

In our last Community Update we announced the Item Caption Contest and now—a couple thousand entries later—the results are in! The winners are credited in the tooltip of the item, and they'll receive a copy of the item they wrote for, the writer's vista applied to their account, and 1000 gems.

Thank you to everyone who participated, and congratulations to our winners!

Selenite Ruby Sapphire
Fanfish Currents Fanfish Killer Fanfish
Cucumber Dubious Cucumber Merry Melon
Slumber Sheep Sheep Not a Sheep
Petite Glasswing Butterfly Glasswing Rake Shatterwing Butterfly
Old Tin Pot Crusty Copper Pot Rusted Iron Pot

(There's a bit of a delay with the captions in the forums, but you can read them in the Game Database!)

Ask the Team

Do you have a burning question about Flight Rising lore that hasn't been addressed yet? Are you curious about our development process or philosophy? Maybe you're interested in learning more about the game itself?

If you do, send us a message through Contact Us using the category Ask the Team!
asktheteamcats.png

How It Works
  1. Navigate to our Contact Us webform.
  2. Select the "Ask the Team" category in the dropdown menu.
  3. Fill out the required fields, including your question.
  4. Submit your completed webform.

You will receive an automated reply confirming receipt of your question. When you use the "Ask the Team" category your question is tagged for the team to review.

Ask the Team Answers

Questions submitted to us through the "Ask the Team" category will be answered in our Community Updates.

Note: While we won't be able to answer every question sent to us, all questions are documented for the Flight Rising team to review, both now and in the future.

As Always

We don't provide estimated release dates, privileged information, or discuss account actions with third-parties.

We understand there may be a preference for the weekly/bi-monthly stickied thread. Our goal with this new format (Contact Us webform category and answers in Community Updates) is to answer more than a small (and rushed) handful of questions at a time.

Now on to your questions!

Lore
Quote:
Hello! A question popped into my mind while I was looking at unhatched eggs. The items can be freely transferred between players of different flights, but in-universe: once an egg has been laid and absorbed enough magic to have a clear element, can it be transported to other elemental regions without rotting/etc or would it be too affected by the change in magic for that to be safely done?

The direct lore answer to your question is that the egg would survive and simply retain its element, shielded magically by its outer shell.

The development lore answer that removing the old egg rot mechanic was part of our choice to make all dragon eggs a bit more hardy and magically robust in nature. It's also part of the reason why we created things like Nocturne, Bogsneak, and Banescale eggs in addition to the unhatched elemental ones.
---
Quote:
Plague dragons are all about survival and it's been said before that they wouldn't cure a sick dragon's illness because they believe the dragon should fight the infection themselves. Does this apply to all forms of medicine/care in Plague flights? Do Plague clans have doctors/healers that provide supportive care for injuries and illness?

Plague healers are an interesting bunch because rather than administer treatments that counter illness, they use a mixture of magic and contagion that stress the affected dragon further, allowing them to reach a stronger, healed, and resistant state faster than other elements. Plague healers will treat physical injuries with sutures, bandages, and braces, but they won't clean the wounds or apply ointments.
---
Quote:
is there any detailed lore information out there on miths? a lot of them seem to be connected to lightning in particular, is that more of a coincidence or deliberate? how tiny are they? i just LOVE miths id love to hear anything else on them!!!

There's something to be said here about moths being attracted to electrical light sources...
---
Quote:
Can we expect to see anything new relating to Talona and the beastclan alliance anytime soon? I feel as though that's a segment of the site's lore that doesn't really get touched on all that much, and while I totally understand why (I imagine BOTE related stuff is probably the main priority in terms of lore right now), I would still like to know if there are any plans for it.

No immediate plans or events, but it's possible we'll be fleshing out Talona and her followers in the future a bit down further down the line.
---
Quote:
If courier dragons, like Edgar, Spitfire, and Pearl, are not members of the flights and don't owe any allegiance to the flights, then how were they created? Did they exist during the time where Ancients were created by the deities? Were they just conveniently around to help clans?

Hello! I was wondering if there was any information on the courier dragons, specifically where they came from, who they are, what they are like, and if they are all the same species and more specifically if said species has a name. I love the NPCs on FR, they really feel like a family, and I don’t know if there’s any info on the three little pals! Thank you so much for you time!

While the elemental flights are incredibly important to the overall lore and gameplay for Flight Rising, there are many, many dragons that may have "hatched into" their origin element, but have since eschewed banners and exercise no allegience. While not uncommon, how these free agent dragons are regarded differs from clan-to-clan. The couriers were likely some of the first to strike out on their own, and did so en masse!
---
Quote:
I noticed while drawing one of my Ridgebacks that the females have a super long claw on their hands and feet. What's this used for, and why don't the males have it? Thanks!

Males have these long claws as well! They're used to disembowel prey and can fold neatly back out of the way when burrowing.
---
Quote:
Rocs are said to be "bigger than a dragon" in one of the item descriptions, and Fiona's isn't that much bigger than her own small size (comparatively), so does that mean hers is a young roc? I imagine the size wouldn't be noteworthy enough to put on a description if it meant 'any' dragon due to the size of faes and spirals!

Prudence is an adult Roc, but is much smaller than average—how could such a delicate flower survive on her own!? Fiona simply had to take her in! There's absolutely no way such a defenseless jewel would have been able to fend for herself in the wild!
---
Quote:
I love the NPCs and wanted to know more about them so I was hoping if I could ask some questions about them!
Where does Joxar go in between festivals? How does he get the familiars and apparel?

How did everyone at the Trading Post meet? Are they all friends or are they just colleagues?

If Pipp and Tripp are Swipp’s children, what happened to their mom?

How long have Tomo and Scribbles known each other? Are they in a relationship?
  1. Joxar is so enthusiastic about festivals that he spends just about every waking moment between preparing for the next one.
  2. The Trading Post is a collaborative meeting space for Sornieth's most prolific hawkers and merchants, but the 'post' itself is uprooted every so often and the entire company moves to another location to reach new customers. At each new location, there's a chance a new dragon will join the roving caravan. And sometimes the group will set up shop in the mountains, beaches, or valleys where no roads exist and part of why we can't call it the Crossroads in canon!
  3. Pipp and Tripp are caravan orphans, adopted by Swipp during his travels. Their adoptive mother is off finding new merchandise and deals from far and wide! They see her serveral times yearly, but she isn't a large a figure in their life as their father and the other denizens of the Trading Post are.
  4. Tomo and Scribbles have been companions for a long, long time, and only Scribbles probably remembers just how long. They're steadfast friends!
---
Quote:
I've always wondered about a specific detail about Nocturnes when I noticed this flavor text. On the Mirror item, it states that Nocturnes often "have trouble seeing themselves within the scratched glass". Do Nocturnes not have the ability to see their reflections in any mirror, or is that coincidentally the only mirror they can't see themselves in?

This was mostly a vampire joke, considering Nocturne dragons are very bat-like in appearance. But we suppose that would extend to other reflective surfaces as well!
---
Quote:
How exactly does the goop dripping from Shadowbinder's body work? Does it spill forever? Does it leave a trail on the ground? Is it only in the artwork? Same with shadow primal.

The liquid shadows falling from Shadowbinder's body are produced constantly, and do linger for decades unless countered by direct intervention from Lightweaver.

The shadow primal eyes are a lesser manifestation than Shadowbinder's, and linger only for a few moments before dissipating.
---
Quote:
I've been dying to know forever :( Does she [Flamecaller] walk on two legs or four? She's obviously rearing in her on-site art, but it doesn't betray her normal stance.

She can assume both gaits, though is slightly faster on all fours. This doesn't matter much, as on the occassions where she requires swiftness, she'll fly.
---
Quote:
So... I never really though about dragon adolescence, mainly because we only have a hatchling phase and a dragon phase.... But recently it struck me that the dragons still seemed to grow in size even after turning adult for a while.

So, I was left with a few questions. How long does it take for them to adhere adult size? Does it change by species? Does it alter their behavior? Do they learn how to fly only when they are adolescent or already as a baby? Also... do they consider this adolescence or just a last phase of growth?

Sorry for the many questions and thanks for taking a look anyway :)

Dragons reach their final adult proportions by the time their very first (e.g. from birth) breeding cooldown has expired.
---
Quote:
In the lore, it says that Gaoler are expected to join an Order once they come of age, lest be seen as only a child. The problem is, 4/5 of these orders aren't able to leave the Fortress of Ends. How does this work for Gaoler outside of the Southern Icefield? Are they all seekers? Or is the culture different now that the Gaoler have begun to wander?

When the Icewarden sealed away the gaolers, the Orders basically calcified. The only gaolers not currently re-evaluating their social structure as it pertains to modern Sornieth are the Overseers and the Sentinels. Failure is not an option for these Orders as the consequences would be far-reaching. Whatever changes are made within their home territory will be built around providing continued support for the Overseers and Sentinels.
---
Quote:
Hello! I was wondering what happened to Garote, Liefa and Yunoga after the story "The Seed and The Sickness" from Bounty of the Elements? Is Garote okay? Did he survive? And about Liefa: was the First Seed contained? What did Yunoga's note mean??? (Thanks in advance~)

You'll have to wait and see!
---
Quote:
In the lore story Ancient Fascinations several dragons of a clan go missing, and as of right now there is no resolution to the story. Are we going to learn what happens at some point? I'm not asking for any sort of release date, I just want to know if we'll get that resolution.
https://flightrising.com/main.php?p=wiki&article=97

Yes.
---
Quote:
How would Breed-change scrolls and similar items work on Emperor Dragons lore-wise? Would they even work at all?

Emperor dragons are no longer living dragons. Scrolls work on dragons who are alive and are also active on Sornieth. Dragons who are alive but have attained exaltment in service to their elemental deity are also not eligible.
---
Quote:
Roughly how many dragons exalted to the Icewarden are set to the task of combing his paw fur? I'd imagine it'd get very tangled very quickly without proper maintenance!

If we tried to answer this question, we'd be here all week counting the many dragons and their many fine toothed combs.
---

Development
Quote:
Hello, I just wanted to ask about the recent festival familiar, as I'm very curious what the answer is! I wanted to know what your idea behind making the Burning Virgo a serthis? Was there a connection or a reference you wanted to convey? I made a forum post about this but someone has informed me I should have contacted you through here instead. I apologize! I await to hear from you, and as always thank you for making such wonderful content year round!

Generally, the question we ask ourselves every time we start creating new creatures or areas is: does this look like it would fit within the world of Flight Rising? In this case, a Serthis just felt like it made sense for Sornieth.
---
Quote:
hello! there was a poll a while ago about flight rising merch, specifically enamel pins, and the choices were between deity busts, deity chibis and elemental symbols. is there a plan to release any of those in future?

We're still working on merch behind-the-scenes but don't have any major updates ready to share. Thanks for taking interest!
---
Quote:
Hello! I adore Flight Rising's art style and, as an artist myself, have always been curious about the process behind its various art assets. Is there any chance we could have a little glimpse of what goes on behind the scenes, like with designing apparel/familiars, or creating genes? Or maybe how the coliseum enemy sprites are animated? Thanks for your time!

One of the things that's special about our team is that we bring a lot of different styles and workflows together to make the game. I think we'd love to start exploring sharing some of that with you in our official Dev Stream, so keep an eye out for announcements about that in the future.
---
Quote:
How does the Game Database determine the Gene Color matching? It's a great tool but the colors seem to be pretty hit-or-miss, like the Red-Winged Owlcat which only has blacks and browns listed, and not a single red or orange.

Since this is a pretty technical question, we went right to the source and got an answer from @Kaepora. Here's what he had to say:

Since artwork rarely contains an exact gene color, every pixel in an image is evaluated for a closest match, as calculated by comparing the amount of red, green, and blue in the color. As long as the match isn’t too far off, that gene color gets 1 point. In the end, the gene colors with the most points are listed, others get cut.

The Red-Winged Owlcat is an interesting example. If you look quite closely, there isn’t really that much red! The “red” areas are full of wildly shifting yellows, oranges, and (in the shadows) browns. Sable is actually the most prominent color in that area due to shadows on the back wing, but our eyes think of it as orange/red because we know it’s in shadow.

Hopefully this explains why some results are counter-intuitive, even though they are calculated in a standard way.
---
Quote:
I was rewatching some of the old YouTube videos on the FR channel and came across the skin tutorial and how it all works and now I'm wondering, did the team ever think that skins and accents would turn out the way they do now with all the funky and interesting designs and that they'd be such a popular part of the site?

Skins, quite honestly, took us by surprise. We knew that there would be a legion of talented artists joining Flight Rising, but the community that sprung up around creators has been amazing to see.
---
Quote:
So I can guess you probably have been asked this before but I searched around and couldn't find any information about this.

So I'm just curious but is there a way that I could get custom dragons?

This is a suggestion and request we hear often. Flight Rising is a virtual pet simulator with breeding as the core mechanic. A custom dragon creator bypasses the breeding mechanic entirely. We realize that it's fun to customize dream dragons though, so we created the Scrying Workshops Predict Morphology feature to allow you to dream up the best dragons possible!
---
Quote:
So recently i began to focus more on my clan’s lore and wanted to make an evil clan to oppose my own clan. Though it is only early stages, one idea i had was for them to be a cult-clan. Not just your usual standing around in robes deal, but sacrifices and worshipping an evil being.

The sacrifices wont be in much detail of course and there wont be any unnecessary torture elements to it and vague mentions of gore- but i just wanted to make sure this idea is okay for flight rising? If not i can think of something else, maybe even still cult related but not as dark!

Any references to violence or gore in player-generated content posted on our site must be in line with our existing lore:
Any reference to violence or injury must be in line with existing Flight Rising lore. Content focused on slavery, child abuse, excessive violence/gore, or communicates intent to commit a real-life act of violence is not allowed.

This also includes using dragon names, account names, dragon biographies, clan profiles, clan broadcasts to promote or display information like the above, up to and including real world tragedies, criminals, and genocide. (2019-08-23)
---
Quote:
I know that you aren't giving ETAs for features or things like that, I'm just wondering if Adventure mode is still planned or if it has been scrapped. If it is still planned can you give us any more details about it

Adventure Mode (or whatever we ultimately call it) is currently in the very early stages of development, and has absolutely not been scrapped. One thing we'd like the community to know is that there are a vast array of moving parts to Adventure Mode and it actually requires a lot of internal tool development as well, so the work is slow-going. The feature will not only be an additional regular activity on the website, but a progression of Flight Rising's ongoing story. Our team (comprised of folks all over the country) got together for a team summit one weekend last fall (2019) to really dig into the backbone of the story and framework we wanted to build so we can plan for the longterm. It's a large undertaking!

It's still too early for us to share very much, but a lot of your lore-related questions (as well as some of our open cliffhangers) stand to be addressed in the addition of this feature.
---
Quote:
In the hover over for the tattertail chicks it states ""eat this before it eats you""

Does this mean tattertail chicks are large or does this mean that tattertail chicks are an army of tiny meat eaters willing to nibble at dragons? I must know.

Om nom nom nom!
---
Quote:
Would the Flight Rising team ever consider adding features to cancel or prevent breeding dragons?

We used to have a mechanic like that! Egg Rot was deeply unpopular, so away it went.

We don't have plans to implement a way to cancel or discard nests given the random nature of nests. We added a pop-up modal asking players if they're sure they want to breed two dragons before the nest is laid to prevent accidental nests.
---
Quote:
How would one go about getting a job on the flight rising team? What are your qualifications and recommended experience?

By keeping an eye on our Employment Opportunities page! While requirements may vary from position to position, all applicants must be 18 years of age or older, be able to work in or contract to the United States, and have job experience or a portfolio relevant to the position they're applying for.
---
Quote:
Hi,
What is your policy on writing Flight Rising fanfiction?
Thanks!

Who here hasn't written a little blurb (or a lot!) of fanfiction?

Seriously though, fan fiction is just that—fan fiction. We ask players don't post anything on our site that violates our Terms of Use or Rules & Policies and that you don't monetize fan fiction that uses our IP. We retain all rights to our IP, copyright, and trademark.
---
Quote:
What was the biggest obstacle for you guys during the early years of Flight Rising? How did you get over the obstacle? Now that you have more experience under your belt, do you think you would have handled that obstacle diffierently, with hindsight and, again, more experience at hand?

Like a lot of startups, Stormlight Workshop began pretty small. In the early days, team members wore a dozens of hats and had to be extremely flexible to the different needs a blossoming project demanded. Thankfully, we've been successful enough to expand the team and allow people to specialize into roles they are particularly adept at. Division of responsibilities and delegation have been a huge boon to Flight Rising as it continues into its 8th year, and given many of us the peace of mind to contribute to its ongoing growth with a lot more certainty and deliberation.
---
Quote:
I’m kinda dying of curiosity over here because I am wondering who names all the images you use for announcements. Is it one of you devs? Or is it just someone you work with, with no site presence?

We name them!
---
Quote:
I'm interested in applying to be a volunteer moderator!

We have a page in the Knowledge Base for that!
---
Quote:
When artists share fanwork of Flight Rising, does the social media team mind if the artists tag the Flight Rising social media accounts in their postings? I want to effectively promote and credit the site, but I do not want to cause any grief to the social media account’s notifications (which is a common occurrence on twitter if an account is tagged). I also do not want to negatively interfere with the SM team’s work.

Tag away! Thank you for the consideration, but please, feel free to tag the account when you're sharing your fan art. And if you use #FRFanArt when you post your fan art, it could be retweeted, reblogged, or spotlit in a Community Update.

That's it for today's update! The FRFanArt Spotlight will return in our next Community Update, which will also spotlight the player run elemental festival events!
Hello everyone! Please remember to stay on topic. Suggestions should be posted in the Suggestions Forum and questions or feedback regarding our Rules & Policies should be directed to the team through Contact Us. Thank you!
Hello everyone! Please remember to stay on topic. Suggestions should be posted in the Suggestions Forum and questions or feedback regarding our Rules & Policies should be directed to the team through Contact Us. Thank you!
:0
:0
2a637a7de4d6df46e5310a94398297c6a750660e.png7d9fa0c4fa4fea47a2ad2dc28742224e549c0e1f.pngb18f358dd4b8bb92de861b91e50652e933ebe5a3.png1e6dd825c1bc6e1e13c7d822f48c3fa359caa420.png
Hype! Congrats to the caption winners. Its always fun to see contests on flightrising [emoji=guardian star size=1]
Hype! Congrats to the caption winners. Its always fun to see contests on flightrising
dct6cq2-114b1547-3fa8-4b5c-94f0-0fef4947daf3.png
The items' captions will take a bit longer to update when viewed in the forums, but you can see the captions right now in the Game Database!
The items' captions will take a bit longer to update when viewed in the forums, but you can see the captions right now in the Game Database!
Nifty!
Nifty!
headerrr.png
I forgot about the caption contest, haha.

Congrats to the winners -- I hope to see more people with this vista around the forums! c:
I forgot about the caption contest, haha.

Congrats to the winners -- I hope to see more people with this vista around the forums! c:
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
Whoa! Welcome back!
Whoa! Welcome back!
tumblr_psu07vDe6C1wogl4wo1_100.png - She/They/It | Hy/Hymn/Hymnself -
- Adult | Sagittarius | G1 Lover -
- "we go where no one goes" -
huh
huh
YAzXKmc.gif
Congrats to the caption contest winners <3!!
Congrats to the caption contest winners <3!!
A brown lantern with cyan glass swings left to right as golden dust swirls around it. Clicking this will bring you to the creator's profile. ___ « Ash (21)
« Clan Lore
« F2U Pixels
« Art Shop
« FAQ/Wishlist
_____
pmCmV6u.pngWjoRtbD.pngDWI9puz.pnge2wlrBb.pnggtSdXdC.pngQoMzhWb.png5rXrC4x.pngnxZGTXG.png8UYUyIT.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23 24