Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Fiona Frenzy!
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 25 26
@EiraoLaska
that's an interesting chart, didn't realize faes could grow that big! o:
I went around my own lair to see the average size of a fae is around a meter (keeping in mind that counts in their tail which are pretty long, I'd say those charts aren't quite doing them justice) and the average skydancer is about 4-5 meters. (at least from the limited quick data I collected, luckily I have plenty of both faes and skydancers) anyway what I ended up with was that an average fae is about as big as an average skydancer's head, if we were to assume Fiona is of average size (to which we don't have any confirmation if that's true or not), taking that into account I looked at the art of Fiona again to figure out how big a fae would be if it were a part of that piece. well, those are some BIG snakes and they would be waaay too big for a fae to hold! this is why I am confused and am not sure what is real and not hah..
if, however, Fiona is on the smaller side of skydancers as you suspect it would make it a bit more plausible. but as I said we don't have any way of proving if that'd be true or not.. gah I am so overthinking this hahah! I just want to know if my dragonsona can hold her buttersnakes or not aah!

also can we just take a second to appreciate that FR counts in meters and not feet? feet/inches make no sense compared to meters/cm, thank goodness they didn't choose to use that!
@EiraoLaska
that's an interesting chart, didn't realize faes could grow that big! o:
I went around my own lair to see the average size of a fae is around a meter (keeping in mind that counts in their tail which are pretty long, I'd say those charts aren't quite doing them justice) and the average skydancer is about 4-5 meters. (at least from the limited quick data I collected, luckily I have plenty of both faes and skydancers) anyway what I ended up with was that an average fae is about as big as an average skydancer's head, if we were to assume Fiona is of average size (to which we don't have any confirmation if that's true or not), taking that into account I looked at the art of Fiona again to figure out how big a fae would be if it were a part of that piece. well, those are some BIG snakes and they would be waaay too big for a fae to hold! this is why I am confused and am not sure what is real and not hah..
if, however, Fiona is on the smaller side of skydancers as you suspect it would make it a bit more plausible. but as I said we don't have any way of proving if that'd be true or not.. gah I am so overthinking this hahah! I just want to know if my dragonsona can hold her buttersnakes or not aah!

also can we just take a second to appreciate that FR counts in meters and not feet? feet/inches make no sense compared to meters/cm, thank goodness they didn't choose to use that!
fellefansigadopts1.gifartshopN.png
_
F E L L E F A N
call me Fella
Artist | 25 | +9h | he/she
• Dragonsona
• DeviantArt
• Linktree
• Speedpaints
• Characters______________
my-emblem-sig.png
[i]that parda[/i] [emoji=coatl love size=1]
that parda
Accent shop
The Ruffled Serpent is ADORABLE.
The Ruffled Serpent is ADORABLE.
oKZOZJE.gif

wishlist
foliage • FR +3
"It's unclear what evolutionary advantage having a built in feather boa provides, but these parda look fierce!"

I mean, that could easily be the evolutionary advantage, right there. Bright flashy displays are often for saying to predators and rivals alike "I'm big, I'm fierce, don't mess with me." Also for attracting mates, lol.
"It's unclear what evolutionary advantage having a built in feather boa provides, but these parda look fierce!"

I mean, that could easily be the evolutionary advantage, right there. Bright flashy displays are often for saying to predators and rivals alike "I'm big, I'm fierce, don't mess with me." Also for attracting mates, lol.
doFoi94.png
[quote name="Lundlaeva" date="2020-08-18 04:02:01" ] [quote name="Amayai" date="2020-08-18 03:43:16" ] [item= ruffled serpent] I wonder how the crossing of two winged serpents makes a wingless serpent XD Thank you so much staff!! I love them!! [/quote] I wondered this too! [/quote] Preword: I'm not an expert, just an informed nerd. Genetically speaking this actually makes sense - you'd expect the buttersnake and ampithere to belong to a completely different genus, likely different family. This means that Genetic Nonsense can occur if they miraculously manage to produce hybrid offspring. Limb arrangement is decided by a type of gene called a homeobox gene, of the HOX type, iirc - this is usually matrilineal, due to the proteins that regulate the development of homeobox in an embreo. So in the case of this crossbreed, your most likely outcomes are: 1. the offspring takes the mother's limb type, i.e. butterfly or feathered wings, or 2. Genetic Nonsense occurs wherein the wing genes on either side don't carry across/express/develop properly, and you end up with a wingless hybrid. Presumably the 'snake' body layout is quite similar across both species, so it still ends up looking like a snake. Facial structure, mouth and teeth, and so on will also be subject to Genetic Nonsense, and could go a lot of ways. And of course, even hybrids in the same genus are usually infertile - especially the males. Anything further out that is generally never fertile. So that's also extremely accurate!
Lundlaeva wrote on 2020-08-18 04:02:01:
Amayai wrote on 2020-08-18 03:43:16:
Ruffled Serpent
I wonder how the crossing of two winged serpents makes a wingless serpent XD

Thank you so much staff!! I love them!!

I wondered this too!

Preword: I'm not an expert, just an informed nerd.

Genetically speaking this actually makes sense - you'd expect the buttersnake and ampithere to belong to a completely different genus, likely different family. This means that Genetic Nonsense can occur if they miraculously manage to produce hybrid offspring. Limb arrangement is decided by a type of gene called a homeobox gene, of the HOX type, iirc - this is usually matrilineal, due to the proteins that regulate the development of homeobox in an embreo.

So in the case of this crossbreed, your most likely outcomes are: 1. the offspring takes the mother's limb type, i.e. butterfly or feathered wings, or 2. Genetic Nonsense occurs wherein the wing genes on either side don't carry across/express/develop properly, and you end up with a wingless hybrid. Presumably the 'snake' body layout is quite similar across both species, so it still ends up looking like a snake. Facial structure, mouth and teeth, and so on will also be subject to Genetic Nonsense, and could go a lot of ways. And of course, even hybrids in the same genus are usually infertile - especially the males. Anything further out that is generally never fertile. So that's also extremely accurate!

Accent shop
So pretty
So pretty
yaSS familiar time!!
I would give my life away to save the snake without a second thought
also 8th page lol
yaSS familiar time!!
I would give my life away to save the snake without a second thought
also 8th page lol
CStGtqv.png
chaos makes the muse.
› zae(yrn) | any prns
about me
icon dragon
I love going into Fiona and getting all the feats at once <3
I love going into Fiona and getting all the feats at once <3
o163-d1-Mudy.pngo163-d2-Mudy.pngo163-d3-Mudy.pngo163-d4-Mudy.pngo163-d5-Mudy.png xrunestone-hoard.png x
Mudy | she/they | +8H FR

English is not my mother language
Spruce kills my playstyle.
toss a like to this loser
About & Lore board
navigator-dominance-board.png
so colorful and pretty!!!!!!!!!
so colorful and pretty!!!!!!!!!
Love the fams - and the colours of that Boar! - lol
Love the fams - and the colours of that Boar! - lol
she/her they/them etpLjGc.gifqTNOOYr.gifdagsvSj.gifqTNOOYr.gifsnXFO8n.gif
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 25 26