Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Glowtail
1 2 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86
I know everyone is freaking out about the new gene, but aaaaaa!! I'm so excited we did get a red manta, I wanted one SO BAD!!!! I remember even suggesting it, I can't wait to get my hands on them

That said, new gene is pretty cool. I can't wait to see some cool firefly dragon scries, or some really neat matching gradient stuff done with it. Still wish I could tell it was glowing better but I understand why it isn't! Kind of against the modern breed rules, ain't it?
I know everyone is freaking out about the new gene, but aaaaaa!! I'm so excited we did get a red manta, I wanted one SO BAD!!!! I remember even suggesting it, I can't wait to get my hands on them

That said, new gene is pretty cool. I can't wait to see some cool firefly dragon scries, or some really neat matching gradient stuff done with it. Still wish I could tell it was glowing better but I understand why it isn't! Kind of against the modern breed rules, ain't it?
Book of Eldritch Horror
-Recall/Lucius/Michael
-He/They, +8 FR Time
-Lore and Fandragon enthusiast, love to talk!
-Wishlist! / Skin Idea Generator
Lurching Tome
I liked Glowtail already, and now I like it even more! The extra blending and segmentation are a subtle change to be sure, but it really enhances what the gene is trying to convey. I would like to take a moment to disagree with the people asking for Glowtail to show up on other parts of the body. I feel like terts as a concept have very individual and specific purposes- for all the fuss over Keel, it did achieve what it set out to do: scattered/sporadic colourful scales. We have a lot of terts that have coverage spread all over the body and Glowtail is filling its own little niche for colour on the tail alone- and there's a lot of fun to be had with that! A tert that shows up on the tail and feet/head/wings would be a different gene entirely, and we'll just have to look forward to that as a future possibility [emoji=coatl winking size=1] I also can't help but snort a little when people claim it costs $12 because I know the vast majority of the playerbase has [i]never[/i] spent real money on gems! We're very VERY lucky that the premium currency of FR can be traded easily from player to player (rather than being account-locked), that we can earn gems through gameplay, and that game features aren't locked behind a gem paywall. And the shiny genes always go in the gem marketplace, so I am not surprised at all that Glowtail found its place there.
I liked Glowtail already, and now I like it even more! The extra blending and segmentation are a subtle change to be sure, but it really enhances what the gene is trying to convey.

I would like to take a moment to disagree with the people asking for Glowtail to show up on other parts of the body. I feel like terts as a concept have very individual and specific purposes- for all the fuss over Keel, it did achieve what it set out to do: scattered/sporadic colourful scales. We have a lot of terts that have coverage spread all over the body and Glowtail is filling its own little niche for colour on the tail alone- and there's a lot of fun to be had with that! A tert that shows up on the tail and feet/head/wings would be a different gene entirely, and we'll just have to look forward to that as a future possibility

I also can't help but snort a little when people claim it costs $12 because I know the vast majority of the playerbase has never spent real money on gems! We're very VERY lucky that the premium currency of FR can be traded easily from player to player (rather than being account-locked), that we can earn gems through gameplay, and that game features aren't locked behind a gem paywall. And the shiny genes always go in the gem marketplace, so I am not surprised at all that Glowtail found its place there.
M i s s A r i #29593
windie at heart | familiar collector | master of trades
A pixel adoptable of an Aqua/Rose Skydancer from Wind flight. She is wearing pearly jewellery and pink arm silks.
Thank you, FR team, for listening to our feedback and criticism!
Thank you, FR team, for listening to our feedback and criticism!
PphCb2h.png0KJLkHj.pngqFbe5lO.png
[center]I thoroughly enjoy this gene, especially as someone who isn't interested in gen 1/projects. I will happily buy some *fantastic* babs from hatcheries/breeders in a few months, though! I personally thing this gene has a lot of potential, especially for subspecies. Though I do see how it wont fit in a lot of situations, and I understand the annoyance there. [s]This will definitely end up in my lair, though.[/s] [/center] [quote name="ElegantChaos" date="2020-05-09 12:47:44" ] Went straight for the lightning bugs! [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=91&bodygene=42&breed=9&element=7&eyetype=3&gender=1&tert=104&tertgene=54&winggene=20&wings=10&auth=290e6665f12b908702cc04166eaac25fb33734db&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=91&bodygene=42&breed=9&element=7&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=104&tertgene=54&winggene=20&wings=10&auth=fda99d00d782012f1af2ad9a2569ca10938d0ec5&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [/quote] [quote name="NotQuiteToxic" date="2020-05-08 12:41:50" ] I love this gene! It's so good for recreating existing species! [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=2&bodygene=42&breed=12&element=2&eyetype=11&gender=0&tert=67&tertgene=54&winggene=42&wings=2&auth=9d74ee3547fb070b768f39dd11810da9ea74d1ee&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=2&bodygene=21&breed=3&element=2&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=67&tertgene=54&winggene=21&wings=2&auth=f9ca333a96f4d8dfcf5ccc86be9eacc05c7b4666&dummyext=prev.png[/img] White mice! [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=70&bodygene=15&breed=3&element=1&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=117&tertgene=54&winggene=17&wings=70&auth=8272ea4fdbb6f2e316a20f02fa4598c68d6a8c37&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=70&bodygene=15&breed=7&element=1&eyetype=3&gender=1&tert=117&tertgene=54&winggene=17&wings=70&auth=af4ab7b5a0ded4da07e8b8c9c1bc336faa5d5877&dummyext=prev.png[/img] Blue-tailed/common Western skinks! [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=98&bodygene=42&breed=12&element=1&eyetype=3&gender=1&tert=163&tertgene=54&winggene=42&wings=98&auth=da0a226f7781c0aaa0423c6770b8f5231727fb67&dummyext=prev.png[/img] Opossums! [/quote] [center][s]Dope[/s][/center] [center]Ty FR art team <3[/center]
I thoroughly enjoy this gene, especially as someone who isn't interested in gen 1/projects. I will happily buy some *fantastic* babs from hatcheries/breeders in a few months, though! I personally thing this gene has a lot of potential, especially for subspecies. Though I do see how it wont fit in a lot of situations, and I understand the annoyance there. This will definitely end up in my lair, though.
ElegantChaos wrote on 2020-05-09 12:47:44:
Went straight for the lightning bugs!
dragon?age=1&body=91&bodygene=42&breed=9&element=7&eyetype=3&gender=1&tert=104&tertgene=54&winggene=20&wings=10&auth=290e6665f12b908702cc04166eaac25fb33734db&dummyext=prev.png
dragon?age=1&body=91&bodygene=42&breed=9&element=7&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=104&tertgene=54&winggene=20&wings=10&auth=fda99d00d782012f1af2ad9a2569ca10938d0ec5&dummyext=prev.png
NotQuiteToxic wrote on 2020-05-08 12:41:50:
I love this gene!

It's so good for recreating existing species!

dragon?age=1&body=2&bodygene=42&breed=12&element=2&eyetype=11&gender=0&tert=67&tertgene=54&winggene=42&wings=2&auth=9d74ee3547fb070b768f39dd11810da9ea74d1ee&dummyext=prev.png

dragon?age=1&body=2&bodygene=21&breed=3&element=2&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=67&tertgene=54&winggene=21&wings=2&auth=f9ca333a96f4d8dfcf5ccc86be9eacc05c7b4666&dummyext=prev.png

White mice!

dragon?age=1&body=70&bodygene=15&breed=3&element=1&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=117&tertgene=54&winggene=17&wings=70&auth=8272ea4fdbb6f2e316a20f02fa4598c68d6a8c37&dummyext=prev.png

dragon?age=1&body=70&bodygene=15&breed=7&element=1&eyetype=3&gender=1&tert=117&tertgene=54&winggene=17&wings=70&auth=af4ab7b5a0ded4da07e8b8c9c1bc336faa5d5877&dummyext=prev.png

Blue-tailed/common Western skinks!

dragon?age=1&body=98&bodygene=42&breed=12&element=1&eyetype=3&gender=1&tert=163&tertgene=54&winggene=42&wings=98&auth=da0a226f7781c0aaa0423c6770b8f5231727fb67&dummyext=prev.png

Opossums!
Dope
Ty FR art team <3
0o4ndhs.png
I'm so glad to see these changes, it gives me hope for feedback on future updates. Thank you staff for listening to us.
I'm so glad to see these changes, it gives me hope for feedback on future updates. Thank you staff for listening to us.
wq9PoXA.png
[quote name="reshiram5875" date="2020-05-09 20:14:31" ] I've got to admit, I'm sure lots of others like it, but I dont really like the gene myself. I was really disappointed that the gene only seems to glow when another part of the body is over the tail instead of the entire tail glowing. It feels more like a waste of gems, but that's my personal opinion. Edit: a reshiram fandragon with glowtail looks sorta cool though [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=2&bodygene=0&breed=8&element=5&eyetype=11&gender=0&tert=158&tertgene=54&winggene=0&wings=2&auth=80fe9b6ddebd2e265d5f465df278c4ef2f148ed6&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [/quote] [i]Yikes[/i], look at the way it's clipping the imp's tail hair. I agree with the sentiment of this gene not at all being worth a gem price. For the most part, the transition to the tail doesn't blend in with the rest of the body and looks very unnatural/abrupt. Even when matching secondaries, I don't find it appealing because we don't have any other gene that looks like it... at most I'd say Scales, but that's a tert gene too. In fact, this just feels like an unbalanced, less versatile version of Scales. [b]Edit:[/b] I just noticed the transition was improved. It makes a huge difference, but the plates on the tail still makes it look like an odd blend. Might be just me, though. As for the matter of constant gene releases, unfortunately FR has been rushing genes out for a few years by now(it's specially glaring after NotN, obviously to brush all the overwhelming criticism under the rug), though it seems to have gotten worse in the recent months. I've been here since nearly the launch of the site, and I really miss the times when genes were very special releases with good design and artwork quality. The downgrade over the years is impossible to ignore, the absolute worst of it being Thylacine and Stained, which were released next to each other. To this day I haven't seen a worse gene backlash from the community due to their unbelievably subpar quality. Recent genes like this one, though, aren't even outrageous like those were. They are just... [i]bland[/i]. They get no reaction from me, other than thinking "oh look, another gene nobody asked for" and then grieving the forgotten Points, which still is an extremely useful gene concept that keeps being shoved aside. There's no justification for Glowtail's price tag, and its design simply isn't eye catching at all. If anything it looks generic. It's [i]just[/i] decent enough to pass for a gene, and at the same time is nothing special for customizing a dragon. By the way @MissAri You're missing the point. The reason for gem to exist IS to be premium currency, and to give the site money. Just because there are people who earn them in other ways, it doesn't mean it's value isn't set in real money and that there aren't players paying for it(hell artists even do commissions for them). By using such argument, it's like you're blaming anyone who buys gems for not trying hard enough to earn gems for free. Complaining about a gene costing a PREMIUM currency and not meeting its quality standards is 100% justified.
reshiram5875 wrote on 2020-05-09 20:14:31:
I've got to admit, I'm sure lots of others like it, but I dont really like the gene myself. I was really disappointed that the gene only seems to glow when another part of the body is over the tail instead of the entire tail glowing. It feels more like a waste of gems, but that's my personal opinion.

Edit: a reshiram fandragon with glowtail looks sorta cool though
dragon?age=1&body=2&bodygene=0&breed=8&element=5&eyetype=11&gender=0&tert=158&tertgene=54&winggene=0&wings=2&auth=80fe9b6ddebd2e265d5f465df278c4ef2f148ed6&dummyext=prev.png
Yikes, look at the way it's clipping the imp's tail hair.

I agree with the sentiment of this gene not at all being worth a gem price. For the most part, the transition to the tail doesn't blend in with the rest of the body and looks very unnatural/abrupt. Even when matching secondaries, I don't find it appealing because we don't have any other gene that looks like it... at most I'd say Scales, but that's a tert gene too. In fact, this just feels like an unbalanced, less versatile version of Scales.
Edit: I just noticed the transition was improved. It makes a huge difference, but the plates on the tail still makes it look like an odd blend. Might be just me, though.

As for the matter of constant gene releases, unfortunately FR has been rushing genes out for a few years by now(it's specially glaring after NotN, obviously to brush all the overwhelming criticism under the rug), though it seems to have gotten worse in the recent months. I've been here since nearly the launch of the site, and I really miss the times when genes were very special releases with good design and artwork quality. The downgrade over the years is impossible to ignore, the absolute worst of it being Thylacine and Stained, which were released next to each other. To this day I haven't seen a worse gene backlash from the community due to their unbelievably subpar quality.

Recent genes like this one, though, aren't even outrageous like those were. They are just... bland. They get no reaction from me, other than thinking "oh look, another gene nobody asked for" and then grieving the forgotten Points, which still is an extremely useful gene concept that keeps being shoved aside. There's no justification for Glowtail's price tag, and its design simply isn't eye catching at all. If anything it looks generic. It's just decent enough to pass for a gene, and at the same time is nothing special for customizing a dragon.

By the way
@MissAri
You're missing the point. The reason for gem to exist IS to be premium currency, and to give the site money. Just because there are people who earn them in other ways, it doesn't mean it's value isn't set in real money and that there aren't players paying for it(hell artists even do commissions for them). By using such argument, it's like you're blaming anyone who buys gems for not trying hard enough to earn gems for free. Complaining about a gene costing a PREMIUM currency and not meeting its quality standards is 100% justified.
ssjS89N.png
I really like how it looks with Fade, Wasp, and Skink. I've been waiting for something like this... [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=130&bodygene=15&breed=10&element=11&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=69&tertgene=54&winggene=12&wings=69&auth=6c9fb9982899ae4b18b8793bd1ec833781498b7a&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=95&bodygene=42&breed=11&element=2&eyetype=1&gender=1&tert=99&tertgene=54&winggene=41&wings=118&auth=c6f7e939b99b1426bdd3a214649203869540975c&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=84&bodygene=20&breed=7&element=5&eyetype=1&gender=1&tert=149&tertgene=54&winggene=41&wings=84&auth=bc12652b378463e8db1937b57577b0fed3e662ac&dummyext=prev.png[/img]
I really like how it looks with Fade, Wasp, and Skink. I've been waiting for something like this...

dragon?age=1&body=130&bodygene=15&breed=10&element=11&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=69&tertgene=54&winggene=12&wings=69&auth=6c9fb9982899ae4b18b8793bd1ec833781498b7a&dummyext=prev.png

dragon?age=1&body=95&bodygene=42&breed=11&element=2&eyetype=1&gender=1&tert=99&tertgene=54&winggene=41&wings=118&auth=c6f7e939b99b1426bdd3a214649203869540975c&dummyext=prev.png

dragon?age=1&body=84&bodygene=20&breed=7&element=5&eyetype=1&gender=1&tert=149&tertgene=54&winggene=41&wings=84&auth=bc12652b378463e8db1937b57577b0fed3e662ac&dummyext=prev.png
i believe that you believe there is a heaven
where you belong.
he/him
I love how people are using this gene to make rats! my first thought was fireflies, but rodents work so well too!
I love how people are using this gene to make rats! my first thought was fireflies, but rodents work so well too!
tumblr_inline_pafumapXAW1r16a5d_540.png tumblr_paeahswwr21r45983o8_100.png
imagine putting out a very lackluster gene in the GEM marketplace during a pandemic
imagine putting out a very lackluster gene in the GEM marketplace during a pandemic
I understand the don't like = don't buy concept, but here's what I don't want: A huge portion of the community deciding all together, [i]okay then I won't,[/i] and FR taking even more of a financial hit than I'm sure they already are with the current world circumstances. If they are really struggling financially, I agree with the users saying they should make a fund-me page or something similar to make sure they can take care of their staff, instead of pushing the artists to release unfinished work. Because I don't want FR's content to be called into question like this, when people buying gems is a huge part of what keeps this site running. Particularly after the whole mobile ad problem, where everyone had to install ad-blockers to even access the site at all- I'm sure they aren't making as much money there either. Ultimately, [i]someone[/i] is paying money to ensure this site exists, and while a handful of opinions shouldn't warrant radical change, if over half of the user-base is displeased with the level of quality, I'm glad FR is paying attention- because some of us still plan to spend real money (myself included) on this site, and I don't want to see it decline either in content or reputation, when the future is still so bright for it. (I'm not exactly surprised that there's been a lot of harsh words on both sides, given the stress of the pandemic going on. I've been trying to bear it in mind with all my conversations lately and I really hope everyone's doing well and taking care of themselves.) Thank you for addressing this FR, and definitely, please make sure to take the time necessary to ensure the quality is amazing, even if it takes a while. You guys have been putting out a lot more content recently than you did in the early years and while it's appreciated, I don't want you guys to get burned out. I've been here six years so far and I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon. [emoji=heart size=1]
I understand the don't like = don't buy concept, but here's what I don't want:
A huge portion of the community deciding all together, okay then I won't, and FR taking even more of a financial hit than I'm sure they already are with the current world circumstances. If they are really struggling financially, I agree with the users saying they should make a fund-me page or something similar to make sure they can take care of their staff, instead of pushing the artists to release unfinished work. Because I don't want FR's content to be called into question like this, when people buying gems is a huge part of what keeps this site running. Particularly after the whole mobile ad problem, where everyone had to install ad-blockers to even access the site at all- I'm sure they aren't making as much money there either.
Ultimately, someone is paying money to ensure this site exists, and while a handful of opinions shouldn't warrant radical change, if over half of the user-base is displeased with the level of quality, I'm glad FR is paying attention- because some of us still plan to spend real money (myself included) on this site, and I don't want to see it decline either in content or reputation, when the future is still so bright for it.

(I'm not exactly surprised that there's been a lot of harsh words on both sides, given the stress of the pandemic going on. I've been trying to bear it in mind with all my conversations lately and I really hope everyone's doing well and taking care of themselves.)

Thank you for addressing this FR, and definitely, please make sure to take the time necessary to ensure the quality is amazing, even if it takes a while. You guys have been putting out a lot more content recently than you did in the early years and while it's appreciated, I don't want you guys to get burned out. I've been here six years so far and I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon.
1 2 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86