Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Steampunk Refresh
1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 62 63
!!!
!!!
sig-1-new.pngdivider-up.png
-V e r i d i s Q u o-
kovske.gif
Brazil | EN/PT/RUS |time-flight-icon-very-tiny.png

» Fake FR Breed Workshop
»
Wishlist
»PWYW ART SHOP
»Clan Lore WIP
divider-up.png
48517330.png

Synesthetic - Artist - Style flexible
• They/Them - He/Him/It • Prev. Solifugespace
small-hourglass.png
I really like the new wings, but I miss the old baubles. :(
Overall, I like it and it is pretty cool!
I really like the new wings, but I miss the old baubles. :(
Overall, I like it and it is pretty cool!
I have to agree that the shading, especially on the metal bits, is kind of flat. I'm mostly put out because Shadelit's had his bronze tail bauble for some six years now and I [i]liked [/i]it the way it was. It was to match his Darktouched Chimera's tail. The new positioning/overall design is throwing us off, and the new bright gold of its edging is just... really really gold, where before it was a sort of dusty, muted silvery gold. The new one doesn't even have any gears on, and the buttons(?)... just cut off at the edge-line of the tail? like they're painted onto the material rather than being an actual 3D object. [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/468063792232923157/619856073452552193/whatdidtheydotoyourapparel.png[/img] [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/468063792232923157/619856223482675230/Shadelit3213_350.png[/img] Overall, for the tail bauble I much preferred the old one in every aspect. I also think the shading/shine of a lot of the updated apparel is kind of flat and non-metallic for being steampunk. From an art/layering perspective some sets the feathers are on the underside of one wing but the topside of the other (eg. female Mirror, male pearlcatcher, female ridgeback). Some of them are just... I don't even know what's going on or how the thing is set up (eg. male ridgeback, seriously, what on earth is happening there???) uh, also, the far wing on the wings is coloured wrong in the Male Guardian art in all sets but the Copper. (since I don't have any other dragons with steampunk apparel on, I didn't really see them enough to say what might have improved or that I like better in the new ones, unfortunately) (the new colour set is good though) Darkharvest, though,,, oh yeah. More like Level Harvest. Good
I have to agree that the shading, especially on the metal bits, is kind of flat.

I'm mostly put out because Shadelit's had his bronze tail bauble for some six years now and I liked it the way it was. It was to match his Darktouched Chimera's tail.
The new positioning/overall design is throwing us off, and the new bright gold of its edging is just... really really gold, where before it was a sort of dusty, muted silvery gold.
The new one doesn't even have any gears on, and the buttons(?)... just cut off at the edge-line of the tail? like they're painted onto the material rather than being an actual 3D object.

whatdidtheydotoyourapparel.png
Shadelit3213_350.png

Overall, for the tail bauble I much preferred the old one in every aspect.
I also think the shading/shine of a lot of the updated apparel is kind of flat and non-metallic for being steampunk.

From an art/layering perspective some sets the feathers are on the underside of one wing but the topside of the other (eg. female Mirror, male pearlcatcher, female ridgeback). Some of them are just... I don't even know what's going on or how the thing is set up (eg. male ridgeback, seriously, what on earth is happening there???)
uh, also, the far wing on the wings is coloured wrong in the Male Guardian art in all sets but the Copper.

(since I don't have any other dragons with steampunk apparel on, I didn't really see them enough to say what might have improved or that I like better in the new ones, unfortunately)
(the new colour set is good though)

Darkharvest, though,,, oh yeah. More like Level Harvest. Good
they’re not as bad as i expected, given previous art updates! but that’s really the best i can say about this one. i appreciate the attempts to fix inconsistencies, but throwing away old apparel with no warning still isn’t the way to do it. i’m not a fan of the changes in accent colors or the simplifying of details, but the metal plate on the vest being completely removed is probably the biggest crime. it takes out a huge block of color and contrast that gave it that shininess everyone’s missing. i’m really disappointied to see the most interesting part of that piece gone. i mean imagine if, with no warning, the color orca no longer had its black accents on so many genes because that contrast was deemed inconsistent i know the idea is to make the site more consistent, but the truth is it really can’t be when skins are a huge part of it, all of them user-made and ranging from simple shapes to details feather covers to things that even intend to remove parts of the lineart through making it as light as allowed. there’s a lot more art on the site that could use an update (stares at the forum header) more than the apparel we spend our money on and use to customize our dragons. it also seems like a waste of resources? why make an artist spend their time and effort on redrawing something to replace instead of making something new and better? especially when you should know from experience that a [b]lot[/b] of users will be unhappy with it??? that’s a HUGE ramble on my part for a silly thing in a pet game but i really feel the need to explain why i actually dread seeing these updates on the front page ed// i assumed my own dragons wouldn’t take any damage but i just saw the goggles on my kid tae and [emoji=guardian sad size=1] the size and the fact that they faced a certain direction rather than contouring to the head like the frostfinder’s goggles was ....... exactly why i used them ......... oof
they’re not as bad as i expected, given previous art updates! but that’s really the best i can say about this one. i appreciate the attempts to fix inconsistencies, but throwing away old apparel with no warning still isn’t the way to do it.

i’m not a fan of the changes in accent colors or the simplifying of details, but the metal plate on the vest being completely removed is probably the biggest crime. it takes out a huge block of color and contrast that gave it that shininess everyone’s missing. i’m really disappointied to see the most interesting part of that piece gone. i mean imagine if, with no warning, the color orca no longer had its black accents on so many genes because that contrast was deemed inconsistent

i know the idea is to make the site more consistent, but the truth is it really can’t be when skins are a huge part of it, all of them user-made and ranging from simple shapes to details feather covers to things that even intend to remove parts of the lineart through making it as light as allowed. there’s a lot more art on the site that could use an update (stares at the forum header) more than the apparel we spend our money on and use to customize our dragons.

it also seems like a waste of resources? why make an artist spend their time and effort on redrawing something to replace instead of making something new and better? especially when you should know from experience that a lot of users will be unhappy with it???

that’s a HUGE ramble on my part for a silly thing in a pet game but i really feel the need to explain why i actually dread seeing these updates on the front page

ed// i assumed my own dragons wouldn’t take any damage but i just saw the goggles on my kid tae and
the size and the fact that they faced a certain direction rather than contouring to the head like the frostfinder’s goggles was ....... exactly why i used them ......... oof
vr4rri.png
B1XSdsq.png
sZShZzW.png

B8HmiZX.png
eO2eGoz.png
mlHpBMC.png
bi4e4q.gif
BLACKENED SCEPTER, CROWN OF THORNS

mouse - they/them

guardian lover extraordinaire!
fandragons in first hibernal tab
How unfortunate......the change to the wing armor pretty much ruined the look of 3 of my dragons, and got removed fro the first time in 4 years..... :L Not a fan.
How unfortunate......the change to the wing armor pretty much ruined the look of 3 of my dragons, and got removed fro the first time in 4 years..... :L Not a fan.
The world is chaos, and I'm loving EVERY second of it. Come, have a seat, and watch the world burn with me.
Nice!
Nice!
mapleshaiku_siggy.png
Oh wow! The new art looks [i]fresh[/i], and those wing pieces [emoji=coatl star size=1]
Oh wow! The new art looks fresh, and those wing pieces
Spr_2c_144_s.png Lucy (FR+3 / US EST)
ShinyVIStar.png art shop
ShinyVIStar.png wishlist
ShinyVIStar.png PM me for Toyhouse codes!!
70c9b36745a49fc9888c3550f61c4379c99dc258.png
This looks really nice!
This looks really nice!
I have mixed feelings, honestly; I mostly like the new wings (aside from the art errors, ex. discoloured wing on Guardian M), but the revamp is so... bright & shiny. I liked the muted, more worn-looking vibe on the old versions.

I can see where you tried to keep to the old style wrt coverage & to an extent aesthetic (with the vests & scarves), but with the site's increasing lean towards pretty/shiny apparel, well... I'm worried about what's gonna happen when sets such as Birdskull, the Wraps (especially Bloody), the Scars, etc. are revamped.
I have mixed feelings, honestly; I mostly like the new wings (aside from the art errors, ex. discoloured wing on Guardian M), but the revamp is so... bright & shiny. I liked the muted, more worn-looking vibe on the old versions.

I can see where you tried to keep to the old style wrt coverage & to an extent aesthetic (with the vests & scarves), but with the site's increasing lean towards pretty/shiny apparel, well... I'm worried about what's gonna happen when sets such as Birdskull, the Wraps (especially Bloody), the Scars, etc. are revamped.
aaa yes! I was waiting for this refresh, it looks great~
aaa yes! I was waiting for this refresh, it looks great~
1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 62 63