Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Dev Update: Reward Delivery Changes
1 2 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87
[quote name="EndraPhoenix" date="2019-05-09 21:02:51" ] [quote name="Stormhawke" date="2019-05-09 15:49:21" ] I've said before that it's a game. The healthy balance with not planning real life around it is also not stressing about what's missed. All in all, I think, just as you said, that "it takes time for the populace to adjust." Just like with the eyes and lair revamp, some people will hate it, others will love it, and eventually everyone will get used to it and figure out how to make it work for them. [/quote] I'm sorry but i dont agree in the slightest, especially that last part, but more on that in a second. I want active players to be rewarded, no doubt about that. However FR hasn't been like that. They rewarded both active and inactive players alike, and that's what i loved. There was no worrying about getting the newest special gifts and items because they would be directly dropped into your hoard. But now people are going to worry. If you're someone who can't get on during the times of those advents or the week Galore has them you're SoL. Yeah you can pay the unholy prices off the AH, but you just missed a free item because of the new system. An example: I get into a car accident and i know am stuck in the hospital for a long while. Let's say that happens during the anniversary, and i miss the exclusive item. Why should i be punished on a what's supposed to be a care free game to me because of something that isn't in my control? Especially given the previous system would have given it to me without a time limit? If that accident did happen one of the first things i would do is get on FR as an escape, try to relax, and it would be frustrating and discouraging to see i was essentially punished for this accident. -------- Then there's the second part. I wouldn't say people will adjust because people haven't adjusted to things from over a year ago. I get migraines easily, poor eye site and what not, so when the forums changed to bright sterile white (as well as other places on-site) i was forced to "adjust" by constantly having my night light on my devices. And plenty other people did the same or got ad ons so their eyes weren't burning. Then the coli captchas, people have quit the coli or FR because of them, and for a long time i had to as well. Squinting 1 inch from my screen to see a flipped, dressed dragon tucked in a corner while simultaneously matching the background color is hell for lots of people. There's a discussion thread on it with 50+ pages and admin response saying they'll fix it, over a year ago. There's at least 3 main theeads discussing the eye vials, and the original eyes, all with 20-50+ pages filled with ideas and compramises because of the new eyes looking so bad and noticable, another big thing lots of people quit over, and vitriol was started by it. I really wouldn't say those people have "adjusted". Just because there isn't a massive discussion constantly going on doesn't mean it isnt an issue, because in most cases it still is. Most don't talk about it because they feel ignored or get attacked by other people for being "whiney" and "ungrateful" as I've seen tossed around quite a bit towards others who have genuine issues with these things. Don't ping me, please. I'll respond in my own time. =:> [/quote] [font=Nunito][size=3]I can agree. I liked how that even if I completely missed an event, I still get the item (for free, too!). But with that, it just limits it to whoever's there during that week. [emoji=coatl sad size=1] About "adjusting", yes, people do adjust, but that's only [i]some[/i] people. And there are others who quit, as stated before. Adjusting is a possibility, but [i]not everyone will adjust, which is the point I saw being made (and I do agree).[/i] Well, I pretty much agree with the entire response, as it makes perfect sense to me.[/size][/font]
EndraPhoenix wrote on 2019-05-09 21:02:51:
Stormhawke wrote on 2019-05-09 15:49:21:

I've said before that it's a game. The healthy balance with not planning real life around it is also not stressing about what's missed.

All in all, I think, just as you said, that "it takes time for the populace to adjust." Just like with the eyes and lair revamp, some people will hate it, others will love it, and eventually everyone will get used to it and figure out how to make it work for them.
I'm sorry but i dont agree in the slightest, especially that last part, but more on that in a second.

I want active players to be rewarded, no doubt about that.

However FR hasn't been like that. They rewarded both active and inactive players alike, and that's what i loved. There was no worrying about getting the newest special gifts and items because they would be directly dropped into your hoard.

But now people are going to worry. If you're someone who can't get on during the times of those advents or the week Galore has them you're SoL.
Yeah you can pay the unholy prices off the AH, but you just missed a free item because of the new system.

An example: I get into a car accident and i know am stuck in the hospital for a long while. Let's say that happens during the anniversary, and i miss the exclusive item.
Why should i be punished on a what's supposed to be a care free game to me because of something that isn't in my control? Especially given the previous system would have given it to me without a time limit?
If that accident did happen one of the first things i would do is get on FR as an escape, try to relax, and it would be frustrating and discouraging to see i was essentially punished for this accident.

Then there's the second part.

I wouldn't say people will adjust because people haven't adjusted to things from over a year ago.

I get migraines easily, poor eye site and what not, so when the forums changed to bright sterile white (as well as other places on-site) i was forced to "adjust" by constantly having my night light on my devices. And plenty other people did the same or got ad ons so their eyes weren't burning.

Then the coli captchas, people have quit the coli or FR because of them, and for a long time i had to as well. Squinting 1 inch from my screen to see a flipped, dressed dragon tucked in a corner while simultaneously matching the background color is hell for lots of people.
There's a discussion thread on it with 50+ pages and admin response saying they'll fix it, over a year ago.

There's at least 3 main theeads discussing the eye vials, and the original eyes, all with 20-50+ pages filled with ideas and compramises because of the new eyes looking so bad and noticable, another big thing lots of people quit over, and vitriol was started by it.
I really wouldn't say those people have "adjusted".

Just because there isn't a massive discussion constantly going on doesn't mean it isnt an issue, because in most cases it still is. Most don't talk about it because they feel ignored or get attacked by other people for being "whiney" and "ungrateful" as I've seen tossed around quite a bit towards others who have genuine issues with these things.

Don't ping me, please. I'll respond in my own time. =:>
I can agree. I liked how that even if I completely missed an event, I still get the item (for free, too!). But with that, it just limits it to whoever's there during that week.

About "adjusting", yes, people do adjust, but that's only some people. And there are others who quit, as stated before. Adjusting is a possibility, but not everyone will adjust, which is the point I saw being made (and I do agree).

Well, I pretty much agree with the entire response, as it makes perfect sense to me.
mDIoUeW.png
Pyercé | they/them
mini gap links TBA
This is a neat idea to help run things smoother, but I agree with the comments that one week seems short. Two weeks would be a bit better for students going through finals, travelers, etc.

On another note, the design of Galore is fantastic.
This is a neat idea to help run things smoother, but I agree with the comments that one week seems short. Two weeks would be a bit better for students going through finals, travelers, etc.

On another note, the design of Galore is fantastic.
[quote name="mirielelloth" date="2019-05-09 21:04:00" ] As someone with a job that means that I may occasionally have weeks with limited web access, this is actually pretty upsetting. I understand the idea behind it, but it's going to end up punishing people who would like to play more often but have real life get in the way. Part of what I've liked about Flight Rising is that I've been able to play as much or as little as I've liked and felt very little stress about missing out on things. I know this is only going to impact a few days out of the year, but this seems unfair. [/quote] I agree, i got a job and my own life i cant dedicate every day to a dragon website, sorry
mirielelloth wrote on 2019-05-09 21:04:00:
As someone with a job that means that I may occasionally have weeks with limited web access, this is actually pretty upsetting. I understand the idea behind it, but it's going to end up punishing people who would like to play more often but have real life get in the way. Part of what I've liked about Flight Rising is that I've been able to play as much or as little as I've liked and felt very little stress about missing out on things. I know this is only going to impact a few days out of the year, but this seems unfair.
I agree, i got a job and my own life i cant dedicate every day to a dragon website, sorry
tumblr_o9kbodyZ0r1t63hmwo1_1280.png

>>>>My DeviantART
I don't like this at all. I can't dedicate all precious time to a website just so I can grab exclusive RIGHT when they drop. Ain't fair. I got a 40 hour week job, I got family, I got other things to do too.

I esp means the only other way to get that stuff I miss out on is spend my funds to get it second hand in the auction house--if people even resell theirs. Big nope to this--dragon looks cool that's about all I draw from this that I like.

I mean if you guys make some radical app I can have on my phone, cool--otherwise, no.
I don't like this at all. I can't dedicate all precious time to a website just so I can grab exclusive RIGHT when they drop. Ain't fair. I got a 40 hour week job, I got family, I got other things to do too.

I esp means the only other way to get that stuff I miss out on is spend my funds to get it second hand in the auction house--if people even resell theirs. Big nope to this--dragon looks cool that's about all I draw from this that I like.

I mean if you guys make some radical app I can have on my phone, cool--otherwise, no.
tumblr_o9kbodyZ0r1t63hmwo1_1280.png

>>>>My DeviantART
Galore looks really cool! I do think that the pick up window should be maybe 2 weeks as others have suggested.

Edit: I read some of the bickering above me, and I have to say.. why would you be worried about a simple item?.. an apparel?.. etc,,
If you've gotten into an accident, why would you be sad about a virtual item? You should not be thinking about this game as your whole life, and limited items are limited for a reason! Inactive players are more a burden than anything, lets be honest here. Sending things to thousands of player inventories will stress the hell out of every server & system, and it's dumb to do that when some are inactive as well.
On top of that, you have had to keep your dragons fed at all times to get those sweet bonuses. Why is a limited, event item any different and such a big deal?
Galore looks really cool! I do think that the pick up window should be maybe 2 weeks as others have suggested.

Edit: I read some of the bickering above me, and I have to say.. why would you be worried about a simple item?.. an apparel?.. etc,,
If you've gotten into an accident, why would you be sad about a virtual item? You should not be thinking about this game as your whole life, and limited items are limited for a reason! Inactive players are more a burden than anything, lets be honest here. Sending things to thousands of player inventories will stress the hell out of every server & system, and it's dumb to do that when some are inactive as well.
On top of that, you have had to keep your dragons fed at all times to get those sweet bonuses. Why is a limited, event item any different and such a big deal?
unknown.png
I really like the idea of rewarding active players with limited items and the philosophy behind it is understandable.

Although I honestly think that 7 days are a bit too short of a time frame. Being away from the site/internet for 1-2 weeks probably happens to most of the players from time to time (extremely busy week due to RL, being on vacation ect.) and being away for 1-2 weeks once in a while - therefore, missing the limited item(s) - doesn't already mean being inactive (in my humble understanding).

I'd suggest to at least adjust the time frame a bit. Maybe a month, or if that feels to long for the admins, maybe at least increase it to 14 or 21 days?
I really like the idea of rewarding active players with limited items and the philosophy behind it is understandable.

Although I honestly think that 7 days are a bit too short of a time frame. Being away from the site/internet for 1-2 weeks probably happens to most of the players from time to time (extremely busy week due to RL, being on vacation ect.) and being away for 1-2 weeks once in a while - therefore, missing the limited item(s) - doesn't already mean being inactive (in my humble understanding).

I'd suggest to at least adjust the time frame a bit. Maybe a month, or if that feels to long for the admins, maybe at least increase it to 14 or 21 days?
ShDdjsG.gif ---
H I D D E N • S A N C T U M
pV7y7eJ.png
"I circle around God, around the ancient tower,
and I have circled for thousands of years ..."
Rather than putting out another long discourse in response to pings where I reiterate stuff I've already said, I'll just summarize:

Fairness has two sides. We tend to focus on the unfairness of missing out on something. We overlook the inverse of when we get something we did nothing to get. Both are unfair, we just perceive it more when it's not in our favor.

Games change and evolve so they can stay engaging, be profitable and hopefully run more smoothly, and I'm willing to defer to the fact that the developers probably know more about how best to do that than I do.

I don't care how long the window is open for Galore. I just think it's good for the game to make this aspect of it more interactive even if there's a chance I might miss it because life happens. If it's serious enough that I can't see a notification and tap a button in the Trading Post, then maybe I shouldn't be worrying about the item all that much. I think I'd survive that unfairness.

Rather than putting out another long discourse in response to pings where I reiterate stuff I've already said, I'll just summarize:

Fairness has two sides. We tend to focus on the unfairness of missing out on something. We overlook the inverse of when we get something we did nothing to get. Both are unfair, we just perceive it more when it's not in our favor.

Games change and evolve so they can stay engaging, be profitable and hopefully run more smoothly, and I'm willing to defer to the fact that the developers probably know more about how best to do that than I do.

I don't care how long the window is open for Galore. I just think it's good for the game to make this aspect of it more interactive even if there's a chance I might miss it because life happens. If it's serious enough that I can't see a notification and tap a button in the Trading Post, then maybe I shouldn't be worrying about the item all that much. I think I'd survive that unfairness.

lGriifT.png
[quote name="opiodae" date="2019-05-10 01:22:02" ] I don't like this at all. I can't dedicate all precious time to a website just so I can grab exclusive RIGHT when they drop. Ain't fair. I got a 40 hour week job, I got family, I got other things to do too. I esp means the only other way to get that stuff I miss out on is spend my funds to get it second hand in the auction house--if people even resell theirs. Big nope to this--dragon looks cool that's about all I draw from this that I like. I mean if you guys make some radical app I can have on my phone, cool--otherwise, no. [/quote]Many players that work and have families and lives log onto FR from their phones, you can too :)
opiodae wrote on 2019-05-10 01:22:02:

Many players that work and have families and lives log onto FR from their phones, you can too :)
ZQGfAQY.png
[quote name="DexDA" date="2019-05-10 06:26:10" ] Galore looks really cool! I do think that the pick up window should be maybe 2 weeks as others have suggested. Edit: I read some of the bickering above me, and I have to say.. why would you be worried about a simple item?.. an apparel?.. etc,, If you've gotten into an accident, why would you be sad about a virtual item? You should not be thinking about this game as your whole life, and limited items are limited for a reason! Inactive players are more a burden than anything, lets be honest here. Sending things to thousands of player inventories will stress the hell out of every server & system, and it's dumb to do that when some are inactive as well. On top of that, you have had to keep your dragons fed at all times to get those sweet bonuses. Why is a limited, event item any different and such a big deal? [/quote] I feel you're completely missing my point, you not-so-subtly call out my post with insults. Makes you come off as incredibly aggressive but whatever to each their own. The point I was trying to make is that FR -while a virtual pixel pet game- is still an escape for people. Whether it be from a crappy day, a crappy job, or a crappy life. I've gotten on FR as a way of getting away from awful IRL things, mostly with how my family treats me at times and not having any true means of getting away. So yes, if I got into an accident, I would want to get to on FR to calm my nerves as it's done so in the past. It may seem like a "Stupid virtual item" to worry about but others and I see it differently, a bit more. Seriously, calling inactive people a burden? Pal some of those people could be injured or sick or other serious reasons as to why they left. It's not going to hurt to think about others and their situations and why this stuff is kind of important to them, let alone why they ended up leaving in the first place. And any of those inactive people could become active any day, in fact someone not too long ago re-joined after [i]4 years of inactivity and are more active now[/i]. But yeah I'm sure they're just a burden and it's stupid to give them anything during events of celebration on-site that they may have unintentionally missed due to real issues. And there is a bit of a difference between an those items, you said it yourself! A [b]limited[/b], exclusive, anniversary item, is very different than a near insignificant bonus that you get for feeding your dragons every other day. Anyways, [b][i]I'm just not going to respond here anymore (not to argue anyways) so don't ping me or "subtly" call out my posts.[/i][/b] Have a good day~
DexDA wrote on 2019-05-10 06:26:10:

I feel you're completely missing my point, you not-so-subtly call out my post with insults. Makes you come off as incredibly aggressive but whatever to each their own.

The point I was trying to make is that FR -while a virtual pixel pet game- is still an escape for people. Whether it be from a crappy day, a crappy job, or a crappy life.
I've gotten on FR as a way of getting away from awful IRL things, mostly with how my family treats me at times and not having any true means of getting away.
So yes, if I got into an accident, I would want to get to on FR to calm my nerves as it's done so in the past. It may seem like a "Stupid virtual item" to worry about but others and I see it differently, a bit more.

Seriously, calling inactive people a burden? Pal some of those people could be injured or sick or other serious reasons as to why they left.
It's not going to hurt to think about others and their situations and why this stuff is kind of important to them, let alone why they ended up leaving in the first place.
And any of those inactive people could become active any day, in fact someone not too long ago re-joined after 4 years of inactivity and are more active now.
But yeah I'm sure they're just a burden and it's stupid to give them anything during events of celebration on-site that they may have unintentionally missed due to real issues.

And there is a bit of a difference between an those items, you said it yourself! A limited, exclusive, anniversary item, is very different than a near insignificant bonus that you get for feeding your dragons every other day.

Anyways, I'm just not going to respond here anymore (not to argue anyways) so don't ping me or "subtly" call out my posts.

Have a good day~
~*My g1s for sale*~
She/Her
Baby bat goth
Chat with me anything Undertale/Deltarune
My avatar dragon (click)
[quote name="opiodae" date="2019-05-10 01:18:15" ] I agree, i got a job and my own life i cant dedicate every day to a dragon website, sorry [/quote] Amen to that. Honestly what makes me sort of shake my head is I am an adult with my own income and frankly if FR didn't do stuff like this I'd probably drop money on gems at least once a month with my other recreation expenses. But if FR is moving towards a more active and daily model welp congrats, I'll be a "burden" to the server because I see inactivity in my future
opiodae wrote on 2019-05-10 01:18:15:
I agree, i got a job and my own life i cant dedicate every day to a dragon website, sorry

Amen to that. Honestly what makes me sort of shake my head is I am an adult with my own income and frankly if FR didn't do stuff like this I'd probably drop money on gems at least once a month with my other recreation expenses. But if FR is moving towards a more active and daily model welp congrats, I'll be a "burden" to the server because I see inactivity in my future
4qcj.png tumblr_inline_njucf1YnRj1r7wjf7.png ~They/Them
~+3 hours FR Time
~Shameless Fan Dragon Lair
~I Love Friend Requests
~Need cheap fodder? Pre-order a nest full! 1 gem down, 3 gems per egg
tumblr_inline_njucf2ZZft1r7wjf7.png tumblr_p6un9pL5QF1utez9io3_100.png
1 2 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87