Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Community Update
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 54 55
[quote name="Aequorin" date="2015-03-11 21:07:10"] [b]To put it simply, we are undergoing the process of completely rewriting [i]Flight Rising[/i], part-by-part, from the ground up, as the way in which it was first developed was and is not adequate for continued growth[/b]. Many parts are inefficient and heavy and slow down when we reach a certain threshold of traffic. In order for the site to be able to scale and meet the demands of a growing userbase, we have had to fundamentally break down what we originally created, and piece it back together in a much stronger, smarter, and more robust way.[/quote] The best part of this update, I think. Coding involves a lot of what users might consider "behind the scenes" work, but I'd much rather prefer a site that is stable and runs smoothly to a site with flashy new gene releases every week, but is buggy and poorly built. I'm really glad the FR devs are taking the time to tackle this issue head on, instead of avoiding it. It may seem to some with the lack of more traditional updates that nothing is going on, but I'm really glad that this is what you guys are focusing on, and I hope that this coding optimization will lay the groundwork for a more stable, predictable, less buggy FR.
Aequorin wrote on 2015-03-11 21:07:10:
To put it simply, we are undergoing the process of completely rewriting Flight Rising, part-by-part, from the ground up, as the way in which it was first developed was and is not adequate for continued growth. Many parts are inefficient and heavy and slow down when we reach a certain threshold of traffic. In order for the site to be able to scale and meet the demands of a growing userbase, we have had to fundamentally break down what we originally created, and piece it back together in a much stronger, smarter, and more robust way.

The best part of this update, I think. Coding involves a lot of what users might consider "behind the scenes" work, but I'd much rather prefer a site that is stable and runs smoothly to a site with flashy new gene releases every week, but is buggy and poorly built. I'm really glad the FR devs are taking the time to tackle this issue head on, instead of avoiding it. It may seem to some with the lack of more traditional updates that nothing is going on, but I'm really glad that this is what you guys are focusing on, and I hope that this coding optimization will lay the groundwork for a more stable, predictable, less buggy FR.
X2PAJU7.gif
L87MMtR.png
fL0umpy.png
I NEEEEED SO MANY PIEBALDS ;3;
I NEEEEED SO MANY PIEBALDS ;3;
I'm really excited to see those new genes!

And it's great to see a Site Status Box, So thank you for giving us even a preview of what it'll be.

As for that MVP, I really love the design on the vista and hope the best to those chosen for it.
I'm really excited to see those new genes!

And it's great to see a Site Status Box, So thank you for giving us even a preview of what it'll be.

As for that MVP, I really love the design on the vista and hope the best to those chosen for it.
THANK YOU.

It's honestly nice to know this, and I think I can rest easy with this. It's, I think, a step in the right direction, and I am going to go back and re-read everything now.
THANK YOU.

It's honestly nice to know this, and I think I can rest easy with this. It's, I think, a step in the right direction, and I am going to go back and re-read everything now.
Please ping me if you want my attention or are replying to me. I won't see it otherwise.

Tn4TEAZ.png
My clan is Fandragons and OCs and the odd silly name. It's also mean to everyone in said clan.
Super stoked for piebald! I need horsey dragons!
Super stoked for piebald! I need horsey dragons!
oIBbTCj.pngderbles_by_xjayfrost-d935b3v.gif
I buy all plushies, 1:60t!
Current plush count: 105,561
tumblr_oc6h756usc1u8fk7yo1_400.png
[quote name="Jad" date="2015-03-11 21:26:30"][quote name="Hyacinthus" date="2015-03-11 21:25:36"][quote name="Aequorin" date="2015-03-11 21:23:21"][quote name="Fishy" date="2015-03-11 21:19:58"]I NEED those new genes *_* Will they be treasure or gem?[/quote] @Fishy, they are not gem genes.[/quote] Does that mean they're necessarily treasure genes, though?[/quote] My guess is 'no'! ARE YOU EXCITED, I'M EXCITED. *vibrates in anticipation of possible secrets* *dons the tinfoil hat*[/quote] @jad the fact that your sig says "illuminati confirmed" makes this an even better post
Jad wrote on 2015-03-11 21:26:30:
Hyacinthus wrote on 2015-03-11 21:25:36:
Aequorin wrote on 2015-03-11 21:23:21:
Fishy wrote on 2015-03-11 21:19:58:
I NEED those new genes *_* Will they be treasure or gem?

@Fishy, they are not gem genes.

Does that mean they're necessarily treasure genes, though?

My guess is 'no'! ARE YOU EXCITED, I'M EXCITED. *vibrates in anticipation of possible secrets* *dons the tinfoil hat*

@jad the fact that your sig says "illuminati confirmed" makes this an even better post
X2PAJU7.gif
L87MMtR.png
fL0umpy.png
Hm, not quite sure about Piebald, but those other two ones look cool. The whole "from the ground up" stuff sounds kind-of foreboding, just because of certain events that have happened in the past...
Hm, not quite sure about Piebald, but those other two ones look cool. The whole "from the ground up" stuff sounds kind-of foreboding, just because of certain events that have happened in the past...
tumblr_mobg0cyIZE1sula9po1_400.gif
@Aequorin Is there any rough ETA on any of these features? Even if it's something like "the second half of the year" or "third quarter?" I think having soft deadlines like those helps the community know when to sort of expect things, and it's a heck of a lot better than the vaporware "soon" response.
@Aequorin Is there any rough ETA on any of these features? Even if it's something like "the second half of the year" or "third quarter?" I think having soft deadlines like those helps the community know when to sort of expect things, and it's a heck of a lot better than the vaporware "soon" response.
beep bop boop
YESSSS. Thank you for the update
YESSSS. Thank you for the update
Liquidating Accents.
9h5f14.jpg
It's good to hear the site's going through a recode, it will take a long time but no doubt be better in the long run. I voted for the complete opposite with piebald xD but maybe I will prefer it on other breeds. Really excited about the hypnotic and viperia genes though, some of my dragons may get a regene *o* [quote name="tuathade" date="2015-03-11 21:21:12"]Really disappointed to see that staff haven't bothered to address or even [i]mention[/i] userbase concerns about the MVP program. So ok, yep, you're just gonna do what you want to do regardless.[/quote] This is the only thing I'm disappointed in, I was hoping they would at least acknowledge that there are concerns, even if they went ahead with it anyway.
It's good to hear the site's going through a recode, it will take a long time but no doubt be better in the long run. I voted for the complete opposite with piebald xD but maybe I will prefer it on other breeds. Really excited about the hypnotic and viperia genes though, some of my dragons may get a regene *o*

tuathade wrote on 2015-03-11 21:21:12:
Really disappointed to see that staff haven't bothered to address or even mention userbase concerns about the MVP program.

So ok, yep, you're just gonna do what you want to do regardless.

This is the only thing I'm disappointed in, I was hoping they would at least acknowledge that there are concerns, even if they went ahead with it anyway.
CK1QM1M.png91069659.png91292986.png91366580.png91366581.png91366582.png
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 54 55