Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | "Pasture" Area Outside of Lair
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13
I really like this idea! And having limited 'pasture' space that will expand as you unlock lair achives would also be nice, as LynnTV said above.

So, support!
I really like this idea! And having limited 'pasture' space that will expand as you unlock lair achives would also be nice, as LynnTV said above.

So, support!
i do like this but there is one problem and that's using it as storage for exalting pushes.

exalt fodder don't need their breeding count down to tick down if they are just getting exalted so i see a good amount of people using the pasture to store(NON PERSONAL) dragons.

SO coupled with the breeding cool down not ticking down.
there is a exalt block while a dragon is in the pasture AND once removed you cant exalt it for a set number of days as well(maybe 7-8 so a person has to plan a few days befor the dom push to move the dragons form the pasture to them main lair). ... though this wont stop people form putting their personal dragons into storage while their main lair become slots for exalt fodder.

having the personal dragons not tick down while they are in storage for a dom push though should be enough of a trade of so i will support this ONLY if the exalt block and exalt cool down is added as well as the breed cool down block.
i do like this but there is one problem and that's using it as storage for exalting pushes.

exalt fodder don't need their breeding count down to tick down if they are just getting exalted so i see a good amount of people using the pasture to store(NON PERSONAL) dragons.

SO coupled with the breeding cool down not ticking down.
there is a exalt block while a dragon is in the pasture AND once removed you cant exalt it for a set number of days as well(maybe 7-8 so a person has to plan a few days befor the dom push to move the dragons form the pasture to them main lair). ... though this wont stop people form putting their personal dragons into storage while their main lair become slots for exalt fodder.

having the personal dragons not tick down while they are in storage for a dom push though should be enough of a trade of so i will support this ONLY if the exalt block and exalt cool down is added as well as the breed cool down block.
Nn4nss2.gif - wish i could remember who did this tauros.gif
Support.

For myself, and for many other players I'm sure, the reason I don't buy or keep more dragons is because of the limited lair space. We're forced to be extremely picky about what dragons we take in, because they consume precious space.

If we had a pasture to show off our personal dragons (especially ones that we keep for RP and not for breeding), I would be more inclined to keep dragons instead of shoving them into the AH and trying to sell them for some measly profit.

Having their cooldown times frozen while in pasture is also a great way to avoid abusing the pasture like extra space for breeders and fodder. A good idea, in my opinion.
Support.

For myself, and for many other players I'm sure, the reason I don't buy or keep more dragons is because of the limited lair space. We're forced to be extremely picky about what dragons we take in, because they consume precious space.

If we had a pasture to show off our personal dragons (especially ones that we keep for RP and not for breeding), I would be more inclined to keep dragons instead of shoving them into the AH and trying to sell them for some measly profit.

Having their cooldown times frozen while in pasture is also a great way to avoid abusing the pasture like extra space for breeders and fodder. A good idea, in my opinion.
People have complained that the limits on lair size hurt the economy, because they reduce the demand for dragons.

This makes sense; but I know that when I originally encountered the cost of lair expansions, I had thought they were there for the same reason as the cost of nest expansions; they both make it difficult to breed lots of dragons, since you need both nest spaces and lair spaces for the parents of the clutch as well as the hatchlings to breed.

However, one's lair can grow to a size larger than needed to keep five nests, the maximum, constantly busy. So having it grow even larger makes no difference, and need not be made expensive or impossible, it would seem.

I just don't know, though, if lair expansion costs and limits may serve other purposes. One might be to limit the size of the database the servers have to contend with. Maybe putting dragons out to pasture, though, could also put their information out to slower archival storage in that case?
People have complained that the limits on lair size hurt the economy, because they reduce the demand for dragons.

This makes sense; but I know that when I originally encountered the cost of lair expansions, I had thought they were there for the same reason as the cost of nest expansions; they both make it difficult to breed lots of dragons, since you need both nest spaces and lair spaces for the parents of the clutch as well as the hatchlings to breed.

However, one's lair can grow to a size larger than needed to keep five nests, the maximum, constantly busy. So having it grow even larger makes no difference, and need not be made expensive or impossible, it would seem.

I just don't know, though, if lair expansion costs and limits may serve other purposes. One might be to limit the size of the database the servers have to contend with. Maybe putting dragons out to pasture, though, could also put their information out to slower archival storage in that case?
DBCSimpleBanner.png
I really like this idea, but share some concerns with Koben.
But overall I fully support the concept.

Here are a few ideas to keep people from using it to bypass it as a storage for dominance:
Of course none of these have to be used, or all at once, just ways to keep people from using it for exaltstorage, or lair storage while they fill their lair with exalts.

- Hatchlings cannot be put out to pasture: they are too young to forage for and defend themselves. They must stay in the safety of the lair.

- Dragon's put out to pasture could gain their full breeding cooldown (for example, a tundra with 10 days left would go back up to 15.) A traveling dragon, without the comforts of a lair, looses it's desire to breed.

-Dragons can be put out to pasture immediately, but they travel far and wide. To "call" a dragon back to your lair will take between 3-5 days before they return. A place for them is reserved for them when called back, to make sure they have a room to return too, and cannot be filled.

And of course it would have to be called something different, to fit in with the lore of dragons as sapient creatures with their own unique culture. But I'm not sure what. Maybe each flight could have their own flavor-text for it.
I really like this idea, but share some concerns with Koben.
But overall I fully support the concept.

Here are a few ideas to keep people from using it to bypass it as a storage for dominance:
Of course none of these have to be used, or all at once, just ways to keep people from using it for exaltstorage, or lair storage while they fill their lair with exalts.

- Hatchlings cannot be put out to pasture: they are too young to forage for and defend themselves. They must stay in the safety of the lair.

- Dragon's put out to pasture could gain their full breeding cooldown (for example, a tundra with 10 days left would go back up to 15.) A traveling dragon, without the comforts of a lair, looses it's desire to breed.

-Dragons can be put out to pasture immediately, but they travel far and wide. To "call" a dragon back to your lair will take between 3-5 days before they return. A place for them is reserved for them when called back, to make sure they have a room to return too, and cannot be filled.

And of course it would have to be called something different, to fit in with the lore of dragons as sapient creatures with their own unique culture. But I'm not sure what. Maybe each flight could have their own flavor-text for it.
@koben - I didn't even think of exalting, so thank you for bringing that up!! That's a good thought.

@Ankokou - I like that you've already given some flavor text and thought to these. :) To have it make more sense.
@koben - I didn't even think of exalting, so thank you for bringing that up!! That's a good thought.

@Ankokou - I like that you've already given some flavor text and thought to these. :) To have it make more sense.
Maybe instead of calling it a pasture you could call it a foraging party?
Maybe instead of calling it a pasture you could call it a foraging party?
Support. Cute idea really.
Support. Cute idea really.
Shadows consume you.
AedonisBanner_zpsfa873cd5.png
I like that, because it would tie into the gathering wording that is said when you do a gather action.
I like that, because it would tie into the gathering wording that is said when you do a gather action.
lord_of_the_shifting_expans_by_lynntv-d6qzmw5.gif
Deviantart |Twitch | Prizes | Commissions| Speedpaints
I like this idea a lot, especially if it freezes breeding cooldowns and has unlimited space for collecting (even better if it comes with a grouping feature, so we can finally organize our dragons). Although.. I would prefer it being called something else rather than pasture, lol. XD I think I'd feel bad putting all my poor guardians out to pasture. XD XD

Maybe instead, they could be on patrol duty, or on some kind of mission/quest/job for the clan, and hence still be a part of the clan, but not quite so obviously stuck in storage. And not eating all the food. XD Although, if they ever fix the gathering system, feeding hundreds of dragons could actually be done reasonably, if each adult dragon did its share of the work instead of the terrible setup they have now. But I;m getting off topic. XD

Agreeing with @koben about the possible issue with amassing babies for exalting, though I think if it's only adding 12 more slots, it really wouldn't be worth the trouble to code - and right now, around 50 lair slots seems to be where people are hitting the soft cap anyway. So extra slots would make pretty much no difference there. I could fill ten times that amount with dragons I want to keep but never breed. Heck, my entire lair is full of dragons I'll never bother to breed except for a handful of pairs. So for people like me who like to collect dragons because they look nice or are hoping to turn them into projects where they get breed-changed or gene'd, that sort of thing would be pretty useless. I'd fill 12 slots within a week and then be right back to where I am now. XD

While I like @Ankokou's suggestion about hatchlings not being able to be pastured, I think that making cooldowns actually go backwards and taking several days to remove critters from pasture would make the extra slots more frustrating than they were worth, honestly. FR is already full of systems that are more frustrating than they are useful - but there probably needs to be a way to keep people from mass exalt-collecting.

Exalting is already limited by how much people are willing to spend treasure-wise. I'd rather see a limit put on dragons coming out of pasture - say.. they can't be exalted for a week after being removed (which would make it pointless to collect them for exalting since even 99 dragons unfrozen before a push will make zero difference, in a dominance race), but it taking days just to remove a dragon from storage seems excessive. >.>

Also while I support there not being a cap on the max limit of pasture storage slots, I do think there should be some kind of expansion requirement - but one that doesn't need endless grinding or absurd amounts of treasure. It might actually be better to borrow a page from other petsites, who actually expand lair/nest/storage space by how much it's used. What I mean is, for every nest a player hatches, you get 5 extra slots. Obviously this can be done very fast with the use of boons and buying ready-to-breed dragons, but any player with that much treasure is probably at max lairspace already. XD

Agreeing with @quadibloc about the lairs growing to a size larger than needed to keep five nests constantly busy. Growing it even larger makes no difference, and even with the use of boons, they're going to run out of pairs eventually. That's what the cooldowns are for. In the end though, there's no real reason to limit the number of dragons a person has other than server/lag issues, and this is already a problem so lair limits clearly didn't work the first time. >_>

Also, when I really think about it, even if we had space to just collect a ton of babies for exalting.. two things would happen: the minimum price of babies would rise as people bought them up steadily, and dominance would be less about who has the most treasure that week and more about who's spent their treasure and time planning/levelling over the course of weeks in order to stockpile babies. Frankly.. I actually kind of prefer the second one - it might actually even the playing field, letting players with limited funds be able to participate. So.. while I can see the issue of stockpiling babies for exalting, at the same time, that kind of thing might actually be better than the way it's done currently. Although I do think storage/pasture space should have some kind of reasonable expansion system, maybe tied into the future adventure or some separate quest system. Although.. admittedly, I'd really rather they just fix the terrible lair setup altogether rather than adding extra storage, but cooldown-freezing extra storage would be a better alternative than nothing. XD
I like this idea a lot, especially if it freezes breeding cooldowns and has unlimited space for collecting (even better if it comes with a grouping feature, so we can finally organize our dragons). Although.. I would prefer it being called something else rather than pasture, lol. XD I think I'd feel bad putting all my poor guardians out to pasture. XD XD

Maybe instead, they could be on patrol duty, or on some kind of mission/quest/job for the clan, and hence still be a part of the clan, but not quite so obviously stuck in storage. And not eating all the food. XD Although, if they ever fix the gathering system, feeding hundreds of dragons could actually be done reasonably, if each adult dragon did its share of the work instead of the terrible setup they have now. But I;m getting off topic. XD

Agreeing with @koben about the possible issue with amassing babies for exalting, though I think if it's only adding 12 more slots, it really wouldn't be worth the trouble to code - and right now, around 50 lair slots seems to be where people are hitting the soft cap anyway. So extra slots would make pretty much no difference there. I could fill ten times that amount with dragons I want to keep but never breed. Heck, my entire lair is full of dragons I'll never bother to breed except for a handful of pairs. So for people like me who like to collect dragons because they look nice or are hoping to turn them into projects where they get breed-changed or gene'd, that sort of thing would be pretty useless. I'd fill 12 slots within a week and then be right back to where I am now. XD

While I like @Ankokou's suggestion about hatchlings not being able to be pastured, I think that making cooldowns actually go backwards and taking several days to remove critters from pasture would make the extra slots more frustrating than they were worth, honestly. FR is already full of systems that are more frustrating than they are useful - but there probably needs to be a way to keep people from mass exalt-collecting.

Exalting is already limited by how much people are willing to spend treasure-wise. I'd rather see a limit put on dragons coming out of pasture - say.. they can't be exalted for a week after being removed (which would make it pointless to collect them for exalting since even 99 dragons unfrozen before a push will make zero difference, in a dominance race), but it taking days just to remove a dragon from storage seems excessive. >.>

Also while I support there not being a cap on the max limit of pasture storage slots, I do think there should be some kind of expansion requirement - but one that doesn't need endless grinding or absurd amounts of treasure. It might actually be better to borrow a page from other petsites, who actually expand lair/nest/storage space by how much it's used. What I mean is, for every nest a player hatches, you get 5 extra slots. Obviously this can be done very fast with the use of boons and buying ready-to-breed dragons, but any player with that much treasure is probably at max lairspace already. XD

Agreeing with @quadibloc about the lairs growing to a size larger than needed to keep five nests constantly busy. Growing it even larger makes no difference, and even with the use of boons, they're going to run out of pairs eventually. That's what the cooldowns are for. In the end though, there's no real reason to limit the number of dragons a person has other than server/lag issues, and this is already a problem so lair limits clearly didn't work the first time. >_>

Also, when I really think about it, even if we had space to just collect a ton of babies for exalting.. two things would happen: the minimum price of babies would rise as people bought them up steadily, and dominance would be less about who has the most treasure that week and more about who's spent their treasure and time planning/levelling over the course of weeks in order to stockpile babies. Frankly.. I actually kind of prefer the second one - it might actually even the playing field, letting players with limited funds be able to participate. So.. while I can see the issue of stockpiling babies for exalting, at the same time, that kind of thing might actually be better than the way it's done currently. Although I do think storage/pasture space should have some kind of reasonable expansion system, maybe tied into the future adventure or some separate quest system. Although.. admittedly, I'd really rather they just fix the terrible lair setup altogether rather than adding extra storage, but cooldown-freezing extra storage would be a better alternative than nothing. XD
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13