Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Primary Gene Suggestions
1 2 ... 116 117 118 119 120 ... 193 194
[quote name="Lokenosse" date="2018-07-02 14:55:49" ] I'm making another gene suggestion, and it turns out it's been two years and four days [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/304936/100#post_21081567]the last one, Venom tert[/url]! This is a Primary/Secondary set, but with the primary being more prominent, I'll post them here. [center][size=5][b]Dun and Equus (or Ferus)[/b][/size] [url=https://i.imgur.com/1PKo5JY.jpg][img]https://i.imgur.com/1PKo5JY.jpg[/img][/url] [size=2](click for fullsize)[/size] [size=1](default colours in Shrek green lol)[/size][/center] This set of genes is based primarily on the [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primitive_markings]primitive markings of horses[/url], commonly called 'dun factor', and typical of wild horses. It shares a colour palette with Python and Morph ([url=https://i.imgur.com/vFgqrxM.jpg]I only saw one colour with an issue -- maize[/url]) and has three colours, light, medium, and dark. The corresponding colours were colour-picked on a male coatl from the tip of the second, darkest, wing feather (1/dark), the eyebrow (2/medium), and the shoulder horns (3/light). It's pretty much impossible for a gene to look good in [i]every[/i] colour, and it's true with this suggestion, too; you can see it performs best on high-contrast colours to bring out the dark elements, and also on warm and neutral colour ranges. This is the type of 'natural' gene I'd love to have more of -- not explicitly patterns copied directly from real animals, but rather ones that look like they could be at home in reality. This didn't actually start out as a gene suggestion but that's what it turned into since I've been visualising a suggestion like this for a while. [img]https://i.imgur.com/0xaawQ4.png[/img] Note: the pearl wasn't intended to be coloured, I made an error and it's not worth fixing since we know what a 'default' pearl looks like. Dun and Equus are shown on a pearlcatcher due to the implied equine traits in the breed, but they could also work particularly well on tundras as well as translating just fine to fully scaly breeds. [center][url=https://i.imgur.com/E95Ar09.jpg][img]https://i.imgur.com/E95Ar09.jpg[/img][/url] [size=2](click for fullsize)[/size][/center] [/quote] This^
Lokenosse wrote on 2018-07-02 14:55:49:
I'm making another gene suggestion, and it turns out it's been two years and four days the last one, Venom tert!
This is a Primary/Secondary set, but with the primary being more prominent, I'll post them here.
Dun and Equus (or Ferus)

1PKo5JY.jpg
(click for fullsize)
(default colours in Shrek green lol)

This set of genes is based primarily on the primitive markings of horses, commonly called 'dun factor', and typical of wild horses.

It shares a colour palette with Python and Morph (I only saw one colour with an issue -- maize) and has three colours, light, medium, and dark.
The corresponding colours were colour-picked on a male coatl from the tip of the second, darkest, wing feather (1/dark), the eyebrow (2/medium), and the shoulder horns (3/light).

It's pretty much impossible for a gene to look good in every colour, and it's true with this suggestion, too; you can see it performs best on high-contrast colours to bring out the dark elements, and also on warm and neutral colour ranges.

This is the type of 'natural' gene I'd love to have more of -- not explicitly patterns copied directly from real animals, but rather ones that look like they could be at home in reality.

This didn't actually start out as a gene suggestion but that's what it turned into since I've been visualising a suggestion like this for a while. 0xaawQ4.png
Note: the pearl wasn't intended to be coloured, I made an error and it's not worth fixing since we know what a 'default' pearl looks like.

Dun and Equus are shown on a pearlcatcher due to the implied equine traits in the breed, but they could also work particularly well on tundras as well as translating just fine to fully scaly breeds.
E95Ar09.jpg
(click for fullsize)
This^
S9yIg1.pngX21w01.png
27ag51.png
AoWiY1.pngKF6iE1.png
i think there needs to be more eyeburning ones

like maybe a very-saturated one that makes even the dullest colors eyeburning?

like maybe it could be like the multicolors of poitox but much more exaggerated

idk what the pattern would be like tho

but it should be high-contrast to make the dragon extra eyeburning

basically primary and secondary would be very similar to each other

i think this would be a baldwin gene

give and get weird ugly soap or stained game game
Give & get space tertiary game
give & get medusa tertiary game
pretty dergs for sale v2 (open) next bargain bin next
wyvern-hatchling-fire-pixel.gif
[quote name="Mystiek" date="2018-05-17 11:53:12" ] [quote name="bioluminosity" date="2018-04-10 10:08:59" ] quoting the most recent quote of this because it's a mess [quote name="TheWhiteTigerGod" date="2018-03-26 16:55:14" ] [quote name="Angel04" date="2018-02-13 16:53:09" ] [quote name="Dullanyan" date="2018-01-25 15:52:36" ] [quote name="Berkshire" date=2016-07-02 12:30:47] Galaxy/nebula primary/secondary [img]https://i.gyazo.com/08de675be5892163e7e3764fe70bc62f.png[/img] Midnight/Midnight [img]https://i.gyazo.com/c1f4d88e99848c602f624b1213122da3.png[/img] Cantaloupe/turquoise [img]https://i.gyazo.com/1f40921234b40109deeaff1d6f0aa4a8.png[/img] metals/orca [/quote] FULL support. this is very beautiful, and would be perfect for so many dragons of mine... i love glittery stuff like this, it has a very ethereal look to it and isnt like anything we have, imo!! i love this!! [/quote] Yes,, I approve of this. We don't have any space - like genes yet,, [/quote] HOLY MOTHER OF TIDEPOTATO. I need this gene, my goodness it's so freaking beautiful! [/quote] before I begin, I'd like to point out that wasp and bee exist. look at this scry with abyss/abyss/sapphire. looks pretty darn spacified. [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=96&bodygene=20&breed=5&element=7&gender=1&tert=147&tertgene=12&winggene=20&wings=96&auth=bb602eea8df47513d3bfd8d692c4a0eba54e6f79&dummyext=prev.png[/img] --- "Nebulous" is a term used to describe something with little or no recognizable form. Primary and secondary genes are extremely uniform in either substance or pattern. Space can have uniformity - you can make it uniform - but by nature has a perfect imperfection and has a high contrast in light and energy: literally the darkest and lightest things in the universe. You have to find a way to make the concept of space consistent on dragons. The swirls at least begin to present a pattern, but coupled with the stars, the design is too complex and comes off as a skin. An actual galaxy would be too complex and subjective for a primary or secondary gene, and constellations are better suited for accents [though a single constellation for each dragon determined by its shape could make a tert, since ghost has come out like that, would be fairly uniform and maintain a starry aesthetic]. As for terts, any tert at all besides glimmer or spines would likely clash with it, even stained - it could look fantastic in a few stained colors, but too light or too dark and the effect of the gene would be ruined IMO, subverting contrast and especially muting the important nature of the bright stars. This happens with crystal under certain circumstances but still works because of its uniform texture. The gene featured looks more like an Ether or glitter or something. It's not bad, heck it's great, but I don't think it's galaxy. Personally, I'd only spend gems on something like it if it had higher contrast (and for the metals, a bit more color diversity like crystal - rn it is screaming treasure gene colors for me). Think about metallic and iridescent's textures. Over all I think the idea should either be adjusted towards something more general like Ether - the swirls on the wings display a pattern and attest to that. The stars are not really adding to the design and I would reformat them to be sparkly bits that follow the forms of the design. One way or another, a consistent space pattern could be developed, maybe a tertiary one that could overlay the dragon, with translucent areas like stain. However I'll stop here since I would ramble on with speculations. [b]To end, I love space. I really do. But I do not think a "galaxy" or "nebula" primary or secondary would work on the site. It would be difficult to execute consistently and properly across the spectrum and be overpowering next to other genes. Additionally, space lore operates just fine with skins and accents. At best I would anticipate a tertiary gene with a unique overlay or a constellation pattern.[/b] ----------------- ------------------- Now I personally think my words mean nothing if I don't try something for myself and see what happens. --- a quick mock-up of an attempt of a strictly starry design. the body of the dragon is on the darker side of the spectrum for the target color (indigo), while the limbs, tail, belly, and face are on the light sides, with some aberrant hues that are so often found in genes. my style is not lent to making layers and then recoloring them on a full spectrum by selection; the colors and intensities I choose are case-by-case, so I cannot testify to the ability for anyone to make this gene on the full color spectrum. however, the layout is simple and an artist would know exactly where to put color hues and values, with a general idea of stars and nebulous material changing breed-by-breed like crystal and petals do respectively. [i]there is still the issue of applying a "substance". for now I stand that it would be difficult to obtain and is probably the main reason this gene genre would not work. wasp and bee have it just fine.[/i] there's also "white". orca I could get, but I wouldn't wanna be the guy coloring white. this demands more development. just another reason a semi-transparent tert of similar structure could work better, though rip the market for stains. [img]https://puu.sh/A0ku5/3edab8468e.png[/img] a quick mock-up of a "cyan" constellation. I think the gene could work like runes and also be a baldwin brew. [img]https://puu.sh/A0j6l/17fe019fc4.png[/img] not to toot my own horn but here's a nebula-ish "space painting" commission close to what I'd expect for a gem gene. I hope this better explains why, on a dragon, a full-body gene like this would be completely OP and not suit the site. [img]https://puu.sh/A0l1m/6f9a9de050.png[/img] EDIT: the expectations of a space gene likely vary wildly person to person. those are my standards and expectations above, ie, my opinions. If anyone disagrees with me I am absolutely open to being proven wrong. I love space. I make space stuff every darn week. I breathe it. But that's just another reason why I can't expect a coupled gene set like this. [/quote] I support any kind of space genes or astrology genes! [/quote] So are you happy now then?
Mystiek wrote on 2018-05-17 11:53:12:
bioluminosity wrote on 2018-04-10 10:08:59:
quoting the most recent quote of this because it's a mess
TheWhiteTigerGod wrote on 2018-03-26 16:55:14:
Angel04 wrote on 2018-02-13 16:53:09:
Dullanyan wrote on 2018-01-25 15:52:36:
Berkshire wrote on 2016-07-02:
Galaxy/nebula primary/secondary

08de675be5892163e7e3764fe70bc62f.png
Midnight/Midnight

c1f4d88e99848c602f624b1213122da3.png
Cantaloupe/turquoise

1f40921234b40109deeaff1d6f0aa4a8.png
metals/orca

FULL support. this is very beautiful, and would be perfect for so many dragons of mine... i love glittery stuff like this, it has a very ethereal look to it and isnt like anything we have, imo!! i love this!!

Yes,, I approve of this. We don't have any space - like genes yet,,

HOLY MOTHER OF TIDEPOTATO.

I need this gene, my goodness it's so freaking beautiful!

before I begin, I'd like to point out that wasp and bee exist. look at this scry with abyss/abyss/sapphire. looks pretty darn spacified.

dragon?age=1&body=96&bodygene=20&breed=5&element=7&gender=1&tert=147&tertgene=12&winggene=20&wings=96&auth=bb602eea8df47513d3bfd8d692c4a0eba54e6f79&dummyext=prev.png

---

"Nebulous" is a term used to describe something with little or no recognizable form.

Primary and secondary genes are extremely uniform in either substance or pattern. Space can have uniformity - you can make it uniform - but by nature has a perfect imperfection and has a high contrast in light and energy: literally the darkest and lightest things in the universe. You have to find a way to make the concept of space consistent on dragons. The swirls at least begin to present a pattern, but coupled with the stars, the design is too complex and comes off as a skin. An actual galaxy would be too complex and subjective for a primary or secondary gene, and constellations are better suited for accents [though a single constellation for each dragon determined by its shape could make a tert, since ghost has come out like that, would be fairly uniform and maintain a starry aesthetic].

As for terts, any tert at all besides glimmer or spines would likely clash with it, even stained - it could look fantastic in a few stained colors, but too light or too dark and the effect of the gene would be ruined IMO, subverting contrast and especially muting the important nature of the bright stars. This happens with crystal under certain circumstances but still works because of its uniform texture.

The gene featured looks more like an Ether or glitter or something. It's not bad, heck it's great, but I don't think it's galaxy. Personally, I'd only spend gems on something like it if it had higher contrast (and for the metals, a bit more color diversity like crystal - rn it is screaming treasure gene colors for me). Think about metallic and iridescent's textures. Over all I think the idea should either be adjusted towards something more general like Ether - the swirls on the wings display a pattern and attest to that. The stars are not really adding to the design and I would reformat them to be sparkly bits that follow the forms of the design.

One way or another, a consistent space pattern could be developed, maybe a tertiary one that could overlay the dragon, with translucent areas like stain. However I'll stop here since I would ramble on with speculations.

To end, I love space. I really do. But I do not think a "galaxy" or "nebula" primary or secondary would work on the site. It would be difficult to execute consistently and properly across the spectrum and be overpowering next to other genes. Additionally, space lore operates just fine with skins and accents. At best I would anticipate a tertiary gene with a unique overlay or a constellation pattern.

Now I personally think my words mean nothing if I don't try something for myself and see what happens.
---
a quick mock-up of an attempt of a strictly starry design. the body of the dragon is on the darker side of the spectrum for the target color (indigo), while the limbs, tail, belly, and face are on the light sides, with some aberrant hues that are so often found in genes. my style is not lent to making layers and then recoloring them on a full spectrum by selection; the colors and intensities I choose are case-by-case, so I cannot testify to the ability for anyone to make this gene on the full color spectrum. however, the layout is simple and an artist would know exactly where to put color hues and values, with a general idea of stars and nebulous material changing breed-by-breed like crystal and petals do respectively.

there is still the issue of applying a "substance". for now I stand that it would be difficult to obtain and is probably the main reason this gene genre would not work. wasp and bee have it just fine.

there's also "white". orca I could get, but I wouldn't wanna be the guy coloring white. this demands more development. just another reason a semi-transparent tert of similar structure could work better, though rip the market for stains.

3edab8468e.png

a quick mock-up of a "cyan" constellation. I think the gene could work like runes and also be a baldwin brew.

17fe019fc4.png

not to toot my own horn but here's a nebula-ish "space painting" commission close to what I'd expect for a gem gene. I hope this better explains why, on a dragon, a full-body gene like this would be completely OP and not suit the site.

6f9a9de050.png

EDIT: the expectations of a space gene likely vary wildly person to person. those are my standards and expectations above, ie, my opinions. If anyone disagrees with me I am absolutely open to being proven wrong. I love space. I make space stuff every darn week. I breathe it. But that's just another reason why I can't expect a coupled gene set like this.
I support any kind of space genes or astrology genes!

So are you happy now then?
[quote name="Alphanix" date="2018-07-12 10:14:19" ] [quote name="AgCat" date="2018-05-31 06:51:32" ] So I was looking at the spirit animals, and I thought: why not based new genes off them? It'd have swirly pattern inside the dragon, gradient color and dusting glitter. Here's a rough mock up on a random moon+pear tundra. I sampled the accent colors off Trail/Pinstripe. I got lazy at the wings but you get the idea. [img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/5902/f/2018/151/e/7/tundra_spirit_demo_1_by_ag_cat-dcd1yc5.png[/img] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/familiar/art/24540.png[/img] [/quote] [color=FF8000]hey FR if you wanna make money from me this is what you should do FULL SUPPORT [/quote] I love this idea! They could be great counterpart genes to smoke!
Alphanix wrote on 2018-07-12 10:14:19:
AgCat wrote on 2018-05-31 06:51:32:
So I was looking at the spirit animals, and I thought: why not based new genes off them? It'd have swirly pattern inside the dragon, gradient color and dusting glitter. Here's a rough mock up on a random moon+pear tundra. I sampled the accent colors off Trail/Pinstripe. I got lazy at the wings but you get the idea.
tundra_spirit_demo_1_by_ag_cat-dcd1yc5.png
24540.png

hey FR if you wanna make money from me this is what you should do

FULL SUPPORT
I love this idea! They could be great counterpart genes to smoke!
XriSV9h.gif
Patters inspired by salamanders might be color. I think that the fire salamander has a cool pattern.
Patters inspired by salamanders might be color. I think that the fire salamander has a cool pattern.
Y02PS6v.png
A thought I had just today.

Primary gene: Camouflage

What it says on the tin, a camouflage pattern on the dragon's body (could have a matching secondary called Ghillie or something : P).

What it says on the tin, a camouflage pattern on the dragon's body (could have a matching secondary called Ghillie or something : P).
Can't sleep. Pendulums will get me.
I was thinking a gene that mimicked the texture/shine of velvet? I really like genes like iridescent/ metallic that are evenly (well, mostly for iridescent) across the body instead of specific patterns. Metallic is too chrome/slick textured with light, though, and iridescent is more rainbowy than textured. It could also potentially give a short-furred impression? Here are some example pics: [img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/619mBCaGm3L._SL1024_.jpg[/img] [img]http://venkatweetz.me/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/silk-velvet-fabric-by-the-yard-wide-royal-green-velvet-fabric-by-the-yard-silk-velvet-fabric-by-the-yard-uk.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.thecultureconcept.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Velvet-2.jpg[/img] [img]https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/wi-ebay-pictures/EBAY/60/71/22/221706142849_images.linnlive.com_c328c95887fce5fdcf72e68fef4b49e3_b688147e-776c-4f06-a02a-43be8dc29760.jpeg[/img] Secondary could potentially be called silk or velveteen?
I was thinking a gene that mimicked the texture/shine of velvet? I really like genes like iridescent/ metallic that are evenly (well, mostly for iridescent) across the body instead of specific patterns. Metallic is too chrome/slick textured with light, though, and iridescent is more rainbowy than textured. It could also potentially give a short-furred impression?
Here are some example pics:
619mBCaGm3L._SL1024_.jpg
silk-velvet-fabric-by-the-yard-wide-royal-green-velvet-fabric-by-the-yard-silk-velvet-fabric-by-the-yard-uk.jpg
Velvet-2.jpg
221706142849_images.linnlive.com_c328c95887fce5fdcf72e68fef4b49e3_b688147e-776c-4f06-a02a-43be8dc29760.jpeg

Secondary could potentially be called silk or velveteen?
6xTBbgI.png
[quote name="contagioushazard" date="2018-08-13 14:51:38" ] I was thinking a gene that mimicked the texture/shine of velvet? I really like genes like iridescent/ metallic that are evenly (well, mostly for iridescent) across the body instead of specific patterns. Metallic is too chrome/slick textured with light, though, and iridescent is more rainbowy than textured. It could also potentially give a short-furred impression? Here are some example pics: [img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/619mBCaGm3L._SL1024_.jpg[/img] [img]http://venkatweetz.me/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/silk-velvet-fabric-by-the-yard-wide-royal-green-velvet-fabric-by-the-yard-silk-velvet-fabric-by-the-yard-uk.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.thecultureconcept.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Velvet-2.jpg[/img] [img]https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/wi-ebay-pictures/EBAY/60/71/22/221706142849_images.linnlive.com_c328c95887fce5fdcf72e68fef4b49e3_b688147e-776c-4f06-a02a-43be8dc29760.jpeg[/img] Secondary could potentially be called silk or velveteen? [/quote] I actually really like this and it seems like it has potential my only concern is if it ends up looking like ird/shim but that could be easily avoided.
contagioushazard wrote on 2018-08-13 14:51:38:
I was thinking a gene that mimicked the texture/shine of velvet? I really like genes like iridescent/ metallic that are evenly (well, mostly for iridescent) across the body instead of specific patterns. Metallic is too chrome/slick textured with light, though, and iridescent is more rainbowy than textured. It could also potentially give a short-furred impression?
Here are some example pics:
619mBCaGm3L._SL1024_.jpg
silk-velvet-fabric-by-the-yard-wide-royal-green-velvet-fabric-by-the-yard-silk-velvet-fabric-by-the-yard-uk.jpg
Velvet-2.jpg
221706142849_images.linnlive.com_c328c95887fce5fdcf72e68fef4b49e3_b688147e-776c-4f06-a02a-43be8dc29760.jpeg

Secondary could potentially be called silk or velveteen?
I actually really like this and it seems like it has potential my only concern is if it ends up looking like ird/shim but that could be easily avoided.
4xTBSTZ.png
[quote name="monkfishlover" date="2018-08-09 12:16:25" ] i think there needs to be more eyeburning ones like maybe a very-saturated one that makes even the dullest colors eyeburning? like maybe it could be like the multicolors of poitox but much more exaggerated idk what the pattern would be like tho but it should be high-contrast to make the dragon extra eyeburning basically primary and secondary would be very similar to each other i think this would be a baldwin gene [/quote] I second this. I love the contrasting ones like pin/trail, poi/tox, skink/spinner
monkfishlover wrote on 2018-08-09 12:16:25:

I second this. I love the contrasting ones like pin/trail, poi/tox, skink/spinner
pPzSlqd.png
[quote name="JanunHarmaa" date="2018-08-11 12:01:16" ] A thought I had just today. Primary gene: Camouflage What it says on the tin, a camouflage pattern on the dragon's body (could have a matching secondary called Ghillie or something : P). [/quote] oh man this sounds SUPER fun to play around with because there are a few different camo patterns they could go with [img]http://www.airsoftct.com/wp-content/uploads/CamoPatterns2_0.jpg[/img] while i love camo and think this has a BUNCH of potential for beautiful and unique draggos, it also brings up the opportunity to get some of those ugly designs we all know and love (or hate)! so it's something for everyone
JanunHarmaa wrote on 2018-08-11 12:01:16:

oh man this sounds SUPER fun to play around with because there are a few different camo patterns they could go with
CamoPatterns2_0.jpg
while i love camo and think this has a BUNCH of potential for beautiful and unique draggos, it also brings up the opportunity to get some of those ugly designs we all know and love (or hate)! so it's something for everyone
tumblr_inline_p7gjnb6y4c1rhwzwl_250.gif
Ollie | 20 | he/they
FR +2
follow me at ironicallyironfr on tumblr!

tumblr_inline_p7gjnb6y4c1rhwzwl_250.gif
1 2 ... 116 117 118 119 120 ... 193 194