Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | No Clanbound Apparel
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 18
Support. Clan bound apparel sounds like a dumb idea. Not everyone can/wants to do the coliseum.
Support. Clan bound apparel sounds like a dumb idea. Not everyone can/wants to do the coliseum.
NP0sn3N.pngaFlambearbear.pngNP0sn3N.png
I’d rather not see clan bound apparel or familiars.
If I don’t like any of the apparel but want to use my points to purchase it to sell it because it’s in high demand I should be able to do so
I’d rather not see clan bound apparel or familiars.
If I don’t like any of the apparel but want to use my points to purchase it to sell it because it’s in high demand I should be able to do so
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
Support. If I win enough ranked matches but I think the apparel is ugly? Then all that effort was wasted. I'd rather be able to sell my prize for cold hard Gems.

If the only reward for PvP is an ugly item that I'll never use and never be able to sell, then I won't want to participate in PvP. And it sounds like they want as many people as possible to participate
Support. If I win enough ranked matches but I think the apparel is ugly? Then all that effort was wasted. I'd rather be able to sell my prize for cold hard Gems.

If the only reward for PvP is an ugly item that I'll never use and never be able to sell, then I won't want to participate in PvP. And it sounds like they want as many people as possible to participate
It takes Twelve Years for one Imperial pair to produce a Primal-eyed offspring of a specific sex. Goal-based breeding is dead.
Support, in my opinion pretty much everything should be obtainable by pretty much anyone for the right price. Not everyone likes the coli and if a really cool piece of apparel comes out then a lot of users are going to feel left out.
Support, in my opinion pretty much everything should be obtainable by pretty much anyone for the right price. Not everyone likes the coli and if a really cool piece of apparel comes out then a lot of users are going to feel left out.
I support. I'm TOTALLY into the idea of bringing back PvP and all that goes with it--especially for lore reasons like battles between warring clans--but if I do PvP up the ladder and want to really learn to do things competitively, I would want it to be up to myself as the person who earned the item whether or not I sell it or gift it or raffle it off or something, and Im sure other victors would feel the same way.
I support. I'm TOTALLY into the idea of bringing back PvP and all that goes with it--especially for lore reasons like battles between warring clans--but if I do PvP up the ladder and want to really learn to do things competitively, I would want it to be up to myself as the person who earned the item whether or not I sell it or gift it or raffle it off or something, and Im sure other victors would feel the same way.
UvoSPaU.pngEgSsKCP.pngsdVKhGb.png
[quote name="@Ridara" date="2019-08-21 11:07:47" ] Support. If I win enough ranked matches but I think the apparel is ugly? Then all that effort was wasted. I'd rather be able to sell my prize for cold hard Gems. If the only reward for PvP is an ugly item that I'll never use and never be able to sell, then I won't want to participate in PvP. And it sounds like they want as many people as possible to participate [/quote] I didn't even think about it from that angle, but yeah, that too! It's not just about non-Coli people WANTING it, it's about Coli people maybe NOT wanting it.
@Ridara wrote on 2019-08-21 11:07:47:

I didn't even think about it from that angle, but yeah, that too! It's not just about non-Coli people WANTING it, it's about Coli people maybe NOT wanting it.
___ [IMG][/IMG]
___ sig_button_by_soenkan-dcab06q.png ___
[IMG][/IMG]
I'm trying to come up with a devil's advocate argument, to try to figure out why they would want it in the first place.
I guess the reasoning was probably that they want every player to play so they get their own set. But... there's a couple problems with that, besides what everyone posted.

If we assume that everyone who starts PvP quits after they hit the last prize level, and also that the leaderboard cleared... let's say monthly for argument's sake, I guess there would be enough turnover for everyone to eventually get the top spot, but I really think that even if the rankings were weekly... this wouldn't happen. People playing PvP are either doing so for loot or because they genuinely enjoy it, and if they're in the latter category they will end up somewhere in the rankings every week, bumping down some poor user a tab. Also, we have a somewhat steady influx of new users- every one of them working to the top has a chance of displacing an older user, and that could cause some serious salt.
The other thing is, and I know this is harsh to say, but... some people are just plain better at PvP than others. I worry the same five people would always have the top spots, preventing anyone else from accessing the rewards at that tier.
And because the rewards would be clanbound...
Nobody else would ever be able to get those items.
And that would be a travesty.

(On a similar note- the devs realize that the top-crit-damage dragon feature will also have to cycle, right? There's only so much damage that can be dealt)
I'm trying to come up with a devil's advocate argument, to try to figure out why they would want it in the first place.
I guess the reasoning was probably that they want every player to play so they get their own set. But... there's a couple problems with that, besides what everyone posted.

If we assume that everyone who starts PvP quits after they hit the last prize level, and also that the leaderboard cleared... let's say monthly for argument's sake, I guess there would be enough turnover for everyone to eventually get the top spot, but I really think that even if the rankings were weekly... this wouldn't happen. People playing PvP are either doing so for loot or because they genuinely enjoy it, and if they're in the latter category they will end up somewhere in the rankings every week, bumping down some poor user a tab. Also, we have a somewhat steady influx of new users- every one of them working to the top has a chance of displacing an older user, and that could cause some serious salt.
The other thing is, and I know this is harsh to say, but... some people are just plain better at PvP than others. I worry the same five people would always have the top spots, preventing anyone else from accessing the rewards at that tier.
And because the rewards would be clanbound...
Nobody else would ever be able to get those items.
And that would be a travesty.

(On a similar note- the devs realize that the top-crit-damage dragon feature will also have to cycle, right? There's only so much damage that can be dealt)
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, but not mass ones.
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.

Support! One of the best parts of Flight Rising is that you can literally buy any old item - even kickstarter gear. Locking apparel/familiars/whatever behind a feature that's not only broken, but that a lot of people may not even want to use is just... not a great idea.
I, for one, dislike PvP and avoid it whenever possible. Being locked out of potentially cool apparel because of that preference seems more like a punishment than anything.
Support! One of the best parts of Flight Rising is that you can literally buy any old item - even kickstarter gear. Locking apparel/familiars/whatever behind a feature that's not only broken, but that a lot of people may not even want to use is just... not a great idea.
I, for one, dislike PvP and avoid it whenever possible. Being locked out of potentially cool apparel because of that preference seems more like a punishment than anything.
ring_clear_the_bells_of_ecruteak_fr_sig_size_by_arkinine-dck2tke.png
Support. While the idea mentioned by Xhastol later in the announcement thread is a step in the right direction, it still doesn't address all the concerns that were brought up in this thread alone. Earning apparel through pvp is ok, even though I'm not a fan of pvp. But making it exclusively through pvp and nothing else is gonna be a no from me.
Support. While the idea mentioned by Xhastol later in the announcement thread is a step in the right direction, it still doesn't address all the concerns that were brought up in this thread alone. Earning apparel through pvp is ok, even though I'm not a fan of pvp. But making it exclusively through pvp and nothing else is gonna be a no from me.
BEw4O1O.png X9XFFVl.png
support! HUGE support. as someone who finds pvp incredibly anxiety inducing, i felt really sad seeing the premise of clanbound apparel be suggested. i have a few thoughts on the matter:
  1. like said above, while kickstarter items could not be re-released, they could still be traded/sold and obtained/used. there is still access, and the dream is achievable! site retired items like sprites and apparel - even downtime fams/apparel - fit into that category. having things be clanbound may seem special, sure, but it locks many people out of having something that they may not be able to obtain like the reasons stated above
  2. continuing from that thought, rewards through a pvp system means that the best of the best will stay at the top, and luck and average skill alone won't get you whatever you want. top players aren't just going to let people take the spot for the item, i suspect, so i can foresee unrest in that context, with arguments all around
  3. battle themed apparel has been something people have really wanted more of for quite a while. new weapons, new armor, etc; and my first thought was that the introduction of pvp clanbound apparel would be the team's way of making those items, but locking them away from people who want to customize their dragons regardless of playstyle. similar items or recolors may make those who do achieve those items feel that the reward isn't worth it, and those who struggle to or can't achieve the "higher end" items feeling despondent and not motivated
  4. i feel like a big part of the draw to FR is that it's always been a game that allows you to have whatever playstyle you like, without locked rewards for specific playstyles. adding truly exclusive items in this fashion breaks that core value that i'm sure many of us appreciate and play for
  5. when considering pvp in other games - like AAA mmos - i think of how many games have ways for more casual players to get some of those items, even by extreme means, such as reward tracks (where more active gameplay means faster reward), rewards being easier acquisition of desirable items (like roundsey but skill not rng), etc. since mmos are so vastly different, even things like renting clears/people to get on your account and do it for you or black market trades come into mind, and those are obviously super against the rules here. but most of these games have some sort of system, either built in game or established by the community, to allow for greater access. i think of world of warcraft, how there was a community-made lottery system to help get non-raiders some critical achievements for mounts before they were taken away with the coming expansion (this was at the end of legion for the one purple bird mount whose name i'm forgetting). conversely there was mage tower, which was a skill threshold for exclusive skins, but still doable and pve, not relying on beating other players
  6. i do think vistas are a fair and valid reward for this, though. we already have vistas locked by contests (fest skins, caption, coloring, etc), as well as through achievements (mvp/you're the best around, i believe). this system has always been in place since the start of the site, whereas clanbound rewards like apparel have not, and such a drastic change would likely upset a non-insignificant number of people

personally, i don't think this is the best idea, but a possibility for a better alternative is for top tier rankers to win something hard to access and desirable, but not exclusive. in guild wars 2, there are pvp tournaments, and winners receive legendary weapons - equipment that is super flashy and pretty but also has the best stats and ease of use (you can change the weapon's stats at will rather than by using an item). legendary weapons ARE obtainable through normal gameplay by crafting or purchase, but winning these tournaments awards them as an equivalent to the time and effort needed to put into it. i believe they also have monetary awards? fr is certainly not an mmo and so i don't think going a route in that direction is ideal (given things like raid achievement locked rewards, but againn that's pve and theoretically doable with a group), but as an inspiration maybe

i feel like to that extent, something like roundsey-grade rewards (non-ks retired items, special dragons, etc) would be more appropriate, or introducing new items that CAN be sold or acquired some other way. that way there is still great incentive, but not something that would lock out a large mass of the playerbase (as i assume the majority of people playing FR are not the type to play direct pvp given the game's genre). i would say a monetary reward like x amount of gems, but that could get tricky; however, having a sellable item would mean the winners would have the option of selling it if they wanted money instead. which actually brings a fair point: there may be people that just want to win, but don't want the rewards, and could find more use in selling the reward to someone who likes the design instead

this got really long and rambly, oof. it's completely unrefined and unedited but i believe i got all my thoughts out! just as an anxiety-settling disclaimer, by no means did i mean to attack anybody in any form, and if there's something here i've mistaken, i'd love to know so i could learn and fix it/refine my thoughts (but kindly please ;;)

edit: i just saw xhaztol's post: that sounds a lot like the system i was describing above! a better direction at least ^^ though i still agree i don't like the premise of clanbound apparel in general (especially pvp locked because anxiety) and see other people having a few reasons for not really liking the idea either. the joxar coins are both sellable and the items they trade for are sellable, so i'd think a currency based system should be just as accessible (or like fest currency)
support! HUGE support. as someone who finds pvp incredibly anxiety inducing, i felt really sad seeing the premise of clanbound apparel be suggested. i have a few thoughts on the matter:
  1. like said above, while kickstarter items could not be re-released, they could still be traded/sold and obtained/used. there is still access, and the dream is achievable! site retired items like sprites and apparel - even downtime fams/apparel - fit into that category. having things be clanbound may seem special, sure, but it locks many people out of having something that they may not be able to obtain like the reasons stated above
  2. continuing from that thought, rewards through a pvp system means that the best of the best will stay at the top, and luck and average skill alone won't get you whatever you want. top players aren't just going to let people take the spot for the item, i suspect, so i can foresee unrest in that context, with arguments all around
  3. battle themed apparel has been something people have really wanted more of for quite a while. new weapons, new armor, etc; and my first thought was that the introduction of pvp clanbound apparel would be the team's way of making those items, but locking them away from people who want to customize their dragons regardless of playstyle. similar items or recolors may make those who do achieve those items feel that the reward isn't worth it, and those who struggle to or can't achieve the "higher end" items feeling despondent and not motivated
  4. i feel like a big part of the draw to FR is that it's always been a game that allows you to have whatever playstyle you like, without locked rewards for specific playstyles. adding truly exclusive items in this fashion breaks that core value that i'm sure many of us appreciate and play for
  5. when considering pvp in other games - like AAA mmos - i think of how many games have ways for more casual players to get some of those items, even by extreme means, such as reward tracks (where more active gameplay means faster reward), rewards being easier acquisition of desirable items (like roundsey but skill not rng), etc. since mmos are so vastly different, even things like renting clears/people to get on your account and do it for you or black market trades come into mind, and those are obviously super against the rules here. but most of these games have some sort of system, either built in game or established by the community, to allow for greater access. i think of world of warcraft, how there was a community-made lottery system to help get non-raiders some critical achievements for mounts before they were taken away with the coming expansion (this was at the end of legion for the one purple bird mount whose name i'm forgetting). conversely there was mage tower, which was a skill threshold for exclusive skins, but still doable and pve, not relying on beating other players
  6. i do think vistas are a fair and valid reward for this, though. we already have vistas locked by contests (fest skins, caption, coloring, etc), as well as through achievements (mvp/you're the best around, i believe). this system has always been in place since the start of the site, whereas clanbound rewards like apparel have not, and such a drastic change would likely upset a non-insignificant number of people

personally, i don't think this is the best idea, but a possibility for a better alternative is for top tier rankers to win something hard to access and desirable, but not exclusive. in guild wars 2, there are pvp tournaments, and winners receive legendary weapons - equipment that is super flashy and pretty but also has the best stats and ease of use (you can change the weapon's stats at will rather than by using an item). legendary weapons ARE obtainable through normal gameplay by crafting or purchase, but winning these tournaments awards them as an equivalent to the time and effort needed to put into it. i believe they also have monetary awards? fr is certainly not an mmo and so i don't think going a route in that direction is ideal (given things like raid achievement locked rewards, but againn that's pve and theoretically doable with a group), but as an inspiration maybe

i feel like to that extent, something like roundsey-grade rewards (non-ks retired items, special dragons, etc) would be more appropriate, or introducing new items that CAN be sold or acquired some other way. that way there is still great incentive, but not something that would lock out a large mass of the playerbase (as i assume the majority of people playing FR are not the type to play direct pvp given the game's genre). i would say a monetary reward like x amount of gems, but that could get tricky; however, having a sellable item would mean the winners would have the option of selling it if they wanted money instead. which actually brings a fair point: there may be people that just want to win, but don't want the rewards, and could find more use in selling the reward to someone who likes the design instead

this got really long and rambly, oof. it's completely unrefined and unedited but i believe i got all my thoughts out! just as an anxiety-settling disclaimer, by no means did i mean to attack anybody in any form, and if there's something here i've mistaken, i'd love to know so i could learn and fix it/refine my thoughts (but kindly please ;;)

edit: i just saw xhaztol's post: that sounds a lot like the system i was describing above! a better direction at least ^^ though i still agree i don't like the premise of clanbound apparel in general (especially pvp locked because anxiety) and see other people having a few reasons for not really liking the idea either. the joxar coins are both sellable and the items they trade for are sellable, so i'd think a currency based system should be just as accessible (or like fest currency)
Alpha :: FR+0
they/them or
he/him please!

tumblr_inline_ojq6kyaRlG1r2ao8y_540.pngtumblr_inline_ojq6kvO0vd1r2ao8y_540.pngtumblr_inline_ojq6kzLZx61r2ao8y_540.png
_____ vxsLSdd.png _ ° Wishlist
° Badges
° Clan Exalter
° Scatter Quest
° UMs for Sale
__ ° Hug Moist?
° Moistling Sales
° Nest Rentals
° SIDHA
° 8x8/90mil!
__ TTTYQHv.png 1XIVewE.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 18