Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Automatic spoiler for certian genes/eyes
1 2 3
I think the biggest problem with things like this is to determine which things to censor and which not. Sure there are common phobias, but just because one phobia is more common than another, it doesn't mean that the less popular should be ignored.

So it would end up in a big cluster mess and maybe wouldn't really be worth in the end.
I think the biggest problem with things like this is to determine which things to censor and which not. Sure there are common phobias, but just because one phobia is more common than another, it doesn't mean that the less popular should be ignored.

So it would end up in a big cluster mess and maybe wouldn't really be worth in the end.
c1xnUU3.png
JrZGMGx.pngwCOCqt3.pngbYt72YT.pngFObX7rS.pngWQA384m.pngdEo6ta2.png
[quote name="Kahvinporo" date="2019-08-18 14:52:34" ] I think the biggest problem with things like this is to determine which things to censor and which not. Sure there are common phobias, but just because one phobia is more common than another, it doesn't mean that the less popular should be ignored. So it would end up in a big cluster mess and maybe wouldn't really be worth in the end. [/quote] The easiest way to do this would probably be to simply not add any 'phobias'. IE, instead of having 'hide all spiders', have some way to give a list of all items, skins etc.. and allow the player's themselves to hide what they want. For instance, I wouldn't want to hide the NotN witches tatters ( Ithink that is the name) even though they have spiders onthem, they can be ignored or covered, but I would want all spider familiars and items to be hidden. It might even be better to just have an input for item IDs and allow the mechanic to handle it from there (hide a familiar ID and both icon and familiar re replaced by generic images. Hide an apparel ID and all apparel and icons are hidden. Skin ID would result in that dragon not showing any skins. For genes and such, that could be a related mechanic where users can input genes and colors to hide (though I don't know how it would necessarily work with colors to hide them) Rather than the site needing to say 'okay these are the top X phobias, lets use these' it would simply be 'okay lets allow players to decide what they want to see and what they don't'
Kahvinporo wrote on 2019-08-18 14:52:34:

The easiest way to do this would probably be to simply not add any 'phobias'.

IE, instead of having 'hide all spiders', have some way to give a list of all items, skins etc.. and allow the player's themselves to hide what they want. For instance, I wouldn't want to hide the NotN witches tatters ( Ithink that is the name) even though they have spiders onthem, they can be ignored or covered, but I would want all spider familiars and items to be hidden.

It might even be better to just have an input for item IDs and allow the mechanic to handle it from there (hide a familiar ID and both icon and familiar re replaced by generic images. Hide an apparel ID and all apparel and icons are hidden. Skin ID would result in that dragon not showing any skins.

For genes and such, that could be a related mechanic where users can input genes and colors to hide (though I don't know how it would necessarily work with colors to hide them)

Rather than the site needing to say 'okay these are the top X phobias, lets use these' it would simply be 'okay lets allow players to decide what they want to see and what they don't'

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
This discussion has taken a turn and started delving into really intense "triggers" and stuff.... like, this system can be used by anyone not just people who have super debilitating phobias. If I don't like Tundras because I think they're ugly* a personal block system to blur out Tundra images doesn't hurt any other user on the site, but it lets me filter out not having to look at something I don't want to see.

I'm not "triggered" by tundras and I don't need someone to do a study on if it's better or worse for me to look at tundras. I just don't want to see them, and a personal blocking system to hide them in one way or another without affecting anyone else on the site.

Same as I can personally block whatever user I want, I don't have to wait for them to do something "block worthy",justify why I don't want to see them/them to see me, I can just... block them. There doesn't have to be a big reason, I don't have to explain why, I can just tailor my own site experience as I see fit.

The only negative I can see to adding the ability to block any ol' image is that if you block every item image except for one or two specific ones, it might be easier to locate and snipe items in the marketplace by filtering out everything but what you want to buy.

It's not a perfect system, and yeah, it wouldn't work terribly well on skins and accents, but I'm not convinced that "it's not perfect" is a reason to nix the entire idea!

Being able to block spider items but not spider accents is still better than not being able to block items or accents.

*Tundras are not ugly, they are precious fluffy fuzzbabies and I love them all. ;A;
This discussion has taken a turn and started delving into really intense "triggers" and stuff.... like, this system can be used by anyone not just people who have super debilitating phobias. If I don't like Tundras because I think they're ugly* a personal block system to blur out Tundra images doesn't hurt any other user on the site, but it lets me filter out not having to look at something I don't want to see.

I'm not "triggered" by tundras and I don't need someone to do a study on if it's better or worse for me to look at tundras. I just don't want to see them, and a personal blocking system to hide them in one way or another without affecting anyone else on the site.

Same as I can personally block whatever user I want, I don't have to wait for them to do something "block worthy",justify why I don't want to see them/them to see me, I can just... block them. There doesn't have to be a big reason, I don't have to explain why, I can just tailor my own site experience as I see fit.

The only negative I can see to adding the ability to block any ol' image is that if you block every item image except for one or two specific ones, it might be easier to locate and snipe items in the marketplace by filtering out everything but what you want to buy.

It's not a perfect system, and yeah, it wouldn't work terribly well on skins and accents, but I'm not convinced that "it's not perfect" is a reason to nix the entire idea!

Being able to block spider items but not spider accents is still better than not being able to block items or accents.

*Tundras are not ugly, they are precious fluffy fuzzbabies and I love them all. ;A;
f2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.gif
I really want an option to opt to hide avatars.

to be honest that's mostly where I am forced to look at eyes (ie in pms, on cr trades etc) and like if all avatars displayed for me as having common eyes (or even as the dragonless image that we all start with) I would be thrilled.

mostly to avoid plague and shadow primals tbh.
I really want an option to opt to hide avatars.

to be honest that's mostly where I am forced to look at eyes (ie in pms, on cr trades etc) and like if all avatars displayed for me as having common eyes (or even as the dragonless image that we all start with) I would be thrilled.

mostly to avoid plague and shadow primals tbh.
This is a pretty good suggestion. Personally I am not bothered by any of the eyes/genes (I like body horror) but there are so many people reacting negatively to them. I don't think removing "squicky" genes/eyes is a good idea, nor is limiting future ones. The best solution is something optional- players who do not wish to see certain genes or eye types can toggle that will either blur/censor a dragon, or replace the genes with basic and eyes with common. After all, this site is supposed to be fun, so it isn't nice to have things that disgust or scare other players.
This is a pretty good suggestion. Personally I am not bothered by any of the eyes/genes (I like body horror) but there are so many people reacting negatively to them. I don't think removing "squicky" genes/eyes is a good idea, nor is limiting future ones. The best solution is something optional- players who do not wish to see certain genes or eye types can toggle that will either blur/censor a dragon, or replace the genes with basic and eyes with common. After all, this site is supposed to be fun, so it isn't nice to have things that disgust or scare other players.
jCVhFoZ.gif
I'd support the option for players to activate personal censors.

I'm not entirely sure how it'd be implemented, but I'm sure it'd be possible to at least include the most common phobias and triggers as default choices to block, and then include a way for players to create and share their personalized lists. The censors could act in different ways, either creating a spoiler image or changing the offending image to something else (ex. making all plague primal eyes appear like rare plague eyes).

It wouldn't be entirely bad either to have the option of "tagging" your dragons. Not personalized tags per se, that's just asking for a mess, but being able to chose from pre-determined ones like "pastel", "cute", "neon" or "gross" would help not only for people who like to filter those things out, but also make it easier to find them.

Obviously such things can't be forced on people, and there'll inevitably be those who harass others because they forgot a tag, people who fill tags with mismatched dragons, and so forth. Not to mention the argument if tags would impose on community-made posts. But it's still an interesting idea.

I'd support the option for players to activate personal censors.

I'm not entirely sure how it'd be implemented, but I'm sure it'd be possible to at least include the most common phobias and triggers as default choices to block, and then include a way for players to create and share their personalized lists. The censors could act in different ways, either creating a spoiler image or changing the offending image to something else (ex. making all plague primal eyes appear like rare plague eyes).

It wouldn't be entirely bad either to have the option of "tagging" your dragons. Not personalized tags per se, that's just asking for a mess, but being able to chose from pre-determined ones like "pastel", "cute", "neon" or "gross" would help not only for people who like to filter those things out, but also make it easier to find them.

Obviously such things can't be forced on people, and there'll inevitably be those who harass others because they forgot a tag, people who fill tags with mismatched dragons, and so forth. Not to mention the argument if tags would impose on community-made posts. But it's still an interesting idea.

1 2 3