Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Alternative Methods for Eyes
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 167 168
That's exactly how I feel about rare items! I treasure my Red-Footed Akirbeak, but it would do me no harm to see other people enjoying them too. I feel the same way about rare eyes- other people putting multigaze on their dragons doesn't diminish the value of the multigaze dragons I already have, because my dragons have value to me, and the other player's dragons have value to them.
That's exactly how I feel about rare items! I treasure my Red-Footed Akirbeak, but it would do me no harm to see other people enjoying them too. I feel the same way about rare eyes- other people putting multigaze on their dragons doesn't diminish the value of the multigaze dragons I already have, because my dragons have value to me, and the other player's dragons have value to them.
jCVhFoZ.gif
I actually think the player mentality with regards to 'zero-sum' things, such as items, are a different kettle of fish entirely from eyes. The rationale that, because of supply and demand, you don't want more of X to exist because that would reduce the potential sale value of the X you already own, at least makes some sense.

But when the site is being flooded with primals (or insert type of choice here) every day, the scarcity argument really goes out the window. (Although if you still wanted to make that argument, the type-transfer idea would be the perfect solution - especially if there's a failure rate, because you'd be turning multiple born primals into a chosen primal.)

On the other hand, users who hoarded the scattervials themselves would almost certainly see their investment devalue. That sucks. Not disputing it. And early on in all this, I was hesitant to support suggestions like this because of the unfairness to those users.

But by this point, especially since the staff has decried the scattervials so thoroughly, I no longer think than ensuring their continued value is reason enough to prevent users from interacting with a crucial aspect of every single dragon that will ever exist in the game.

A nerfed scattervial that will only give you tints would be awesome for me personally, since that's mostly what I like, but as much effort and attention were put into the special types, it really does seem wasteful that almost no one will ever get to have them on an absolutely perfect dragon they're 100% in love with.
I actually think the player mentality with regards to 'zero-sum' things, such as items, are a different kettle of fish entirely from eyes. The rationale that, because of supply and demand, you don't want more of X to exist because that would reduce the potential sale value of the X you already own, at least makes some sense.

But when the site is being flooded with primals (or insert type of choice here) every day, the scarcity argument really goes out the window. (Although if you still wanted to make that argument, the type-transfer idea would be the perfect solution - especially if there's a failure rate, because you'd be turning multiple born primals into a chosen primal.)

On the other hand, users who hoarded the scattervials themselves would almost certainly see their investment devalue. That sucks. Not disputing it. And early on in all this, I was hesitant to support suggestions like this because of the unfairness to those users.

But by this point, especially since the staff has decried the scattervials so thoroughly, I no longer think than ensuring their continued value is reason enough to prevent users from interacting with a crucial aspect of every single dragon that will ever exist in the game.

A nerfed scattervial that will only give you tints would be awesome for me personally, since that's mostly what I like, but as much effort and attention were put into the special types, it really does seem wasteful that almost no one will ever get to have them on an absolutely perfect dragon they're 100% in love with.
Y2CN2aK.png wc26tNn.png
I spent a fair amount on scattervials when I returned from hiatus after the update and personally I wouldn't be mad if they were devalued in some way. Yes, I would have effectively wasted a few million treasure, but at the same time, introducing some other way of getting the eyes will save me lots of time and money in the future.
I spent a fair amount on scattervials when I returned from hiatus after the update and personally I wouldn't be mad if they were devalued in some way. Yes, I would have effectively wasted a few million treasure, but at the same time, introducing some other way of getting the eyes will save me lots of time and money in the future.
jCVhFoZ.gif
The thing with investments being devalued and the reason why I don't tend to take it into account is that investments are never a sure thing.

Sure, players who bought up scattervials hoping to make a huge profit on them because they were the only way to bring the new natural eyes to older dragons would see that profit diminished, but that can happen no matter what.

Even without bringing in ways to get the 'older' natural eyes on older dragons there are other ways the investment a user made could be devalued. New unnatural eyes come out that are more popular than multi/primal could cause the scattervials to lose their values, because people no longer want primal/multi on their dragons. People leaving the site because they are upset at various decisions can devalue them, because those people are likely the ones who have the money to buy the vials.

there are many more ways including the idea that people will just stop buying the vials because of the horrific odds. People who buy items like scattervials (and this includes how controversial the entire eye update was) as investments shouldn't expect their 'investment' to remain secure forever, because anything can change (and yeah, the investment aspect of scattervials might remain secure forever, until they run out) that can shift the market. We know that scattervials themselves won't ever be coming back, but that doesn't mean that something else won't be done to help fix the issues created by the eye update.

It is the same for any item on site. Buying investments is a risky business all by itself, let alone when you have such a controversial item and the surrounding issues.

Plus, there is no guarantee that the method that the admins decide upon (if they do) would even affect the scattervial market. For instance, two vials of your choice per year? (ie you can choose two clanbound vials per year from galore, from any natural eye type released previously) That probably wouldn't affect scattervials all that much, because most players have many more than two dragons they want the natural eyes on and many players are also not patient enough to wait a year to get two more.
The thing with investments being devalued and the reason why I don't tend to take it into account is that investments are never a sure thing.

Sure, players who bought up scattervials hoping to make a huge profit on them because they were the only way to bring the new natural eyes to older dragons would see that profit diminished, but that can happen no matter what.

Even without bringing in ways to get the 'older' natural eyes on older dragons there are other ways the investment a user made could be devalued. New unnatural eyes come out that are more popular than multi/primal could cause the scattervials to lose their values, because people no longer want primal/multi on their dragons. People leaving the site because they are upset at various decisions can devalue them, because those people are likely the ones who have the money to buy the vials.

there are many more ways including the idea that people will just stop buying the vials because of the horrific odds. People who buy items like scattervials (and this includes how controversial the entire eye update was) as investments shouldn't expect their 'investment' to remain secure forever, because anything can change (and yeah, the investment aspect of scattervials might remain secure forever, until they run out) that can shift the market. We know that scattervials themselves won't ever be coming back, but that doesn't mean that something else won't be done to help fix the issues created by the eye update.

It is the same for any item on site. Buying investments is a risky business all by itself, let alone when you have such a controversial item and the surrounding issues.

Plus, there is no guarantee that the method that the admins decide upon (if they do) would even affect the scattervial market. For instance, two vials of your choice per year? (ie you can choose two clanbound vials per year from galore, from any natural eye type released previously) That probably wouldn't affect scattervials all that much, because most players have many more than two dragons they want the natural eyes on and many players are also not patient enough to wait a year to get two more.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
I have a stack of scattervials I could make money on down the road if I ever decide to sell them and that they're not "too awesome to use."

I STILL support ways of getting new eyes on old dragons.

Plus, as said earlier, people who want to put eyes on existing dragons are different from the market of people who want to buy pretty eyed dragons. Plus, with the staff themselves saying scattervials are a mistake, keeping things as-is for the sake of scattervials is asinine.

One more thing about investments. Players don't make money on scattervials if the forever sit on them and never sell them. I could (and probably will) sit on the scattervial stack until the Internet explodes. Sure, I could make money selling them, but because of all the issues, I don't feel comfortable even touching them. Therefore, scattervials are never truly an investment for me since I'll never make money on them.

Players can make money on scattervials now. But tomorrow is no guarantee. Buy low, sell high; that's the stock market. The thing is, with investing we never know for certain if low is truly the lowest or if high isn't going to go higher still. That's just the risk and nature of investing. It's asinine to try to twist a guarantee out of investing. If players want to sell scattervials, the can make their money now. The site doesn't owe anyone any type of promise that an item will sell for even more in a month, year, five years, decade etc.
I have a stack of scattervials I could make money on down the road if I ever decide to sell them and that they're not "too awesome to use."

I STILL support ways of getting new eyes on old dragons.

Plus, as said earlier, people who want to put eyes on existing dragons are different from the market of people who want to buy pretty eyed dragons. Plus, with the staff themselves saying scattervials are a mistake, keeping things as-is for the sake of scattervials is asinine.

One more thing about investments. Players don't make money on scattervials if the forever sit on them and never sell them. I could (and probably will) sit on the scattervial stack until the Internet explodes. Sure, I could make money selling them, but because of all the issues, I don't feel comfortable even touching them. Therefore, scattervials are never truly an investment for me since I'll never make money on them.

Players can make money on scattervials now. But tomorrow is no guarantee. Buy low, sell high; that's the stock market. The thing is, with investing we never know for certain if low is truly the lowest or if high isn't going to go higher still. That's just the risk and nature of investing. It's asinine to try to twist a guarantee out of investing. If players want to sell scattervials, the can make their money now. The site doesn't owe anyone any type of promise that an item will sell for even more in a month, year, five years, decade etc.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
Support. The random nature of the natural eye types is...frustrating. Incredibly so. As it's been said by other players it's nearly impossible to breed a dream dragon with the dream eye type.

Having brews from Baldwin, drops from Coli, something from Pinkerton, etc. Would be better than nothing.
Support. The random nature of the natural eye types is...frustrating. Incredibly so. As it's been said by other players it's nearly impossible to breed a dream dragon with the dream eye type.

Having brews from Baldwin, drops from Coli, something from Pinkerton, etc. Would be better than nothing.
SsDRJ6t.pngdbR6FAo.pngYohjRio.pngfL0umpy.png
As I said, I don't think policy on the eyes going forward should be dictated by its potential aspect on the scattervial market. I agree that the health of the site should be prioritized over the potential disappointment to certain players. I agree with pretty much everything in your posts.

I just feel bad thinking about people being unhappy. There's been enough of that over the eyes already.

On the other hand, the eyepocalypse was pre-Roundsey. So most players who think that retired items not being sacrosanct means the staff are untrustworthy and the site is doomed have probably left already...
As I said, I don't think policy on the eyes going forward should be dictated by its potential aspect on the scattervial market. I agree that the health of the site should be prioritized over the potential disappointment to certain players. I agree with pretty much everything in your posts.

I just feel bad thinking about people being unhappy. There's been enough of that over the eyes already.

On the other hand, the eyepocalypse was pre-Roundsey. So most players who think that retired items not being sacrosanct means the staff are untrustworthy and the site is doomed have probably left already...
Y2CN2aK.png wc26tNn.png
I feel it wouldn't have been that much of an issue had they just simply not retired the scattervials but put them in the GMP or as an expansive MP item. as well have scattervial update whenever they add a new natural eye type. Would of course not have been ideal either but it would've been better over just straight up retiring them.

Galore is a step in the right direction but he'd be more effective if he would periodically give out more of the same type vials and it'd also help if they weren't clan bound. As well as give vials for other existing eye types.

I know it's a common argument that people won't bother breeding if they can just have the vials, but obviously, this would be geared towards people who don't want to or can't breed. It'd be a completely separate thing, as for the scattervials, they are going to reach a point where people either don't want to sell them because 'too awesome to sell' or because they have reached the point where they simply are just too expansive, and unless the staff decides to add stacks of scattervials to roundsey. they're not really a good investment. As stated before investments are never secure things, people who play like this aren't invalid in any kind of way but it's important to note that investments might not always go as one might hope.

Idk what the staff will do going forward but I do hope that they will make the right choice

I feel it wouldn't have been that much of an issue had they just simply not retired the scattervials but put them in the GMP or as an expansive MP item. as well have scattervial update whenever they add a new natural eye type. Would of course not have been ideal either but it would've been better over just straight up retiring them.

Galore is a step in the right direction but he'd be more effective if he would periodically give out more of the same type vials and it'd also help if they weren't clan bound. As well as give vials for other existing eye types.

I know it's a common argument that people won't bother breeding if they can just have the vials, but obviously, this would be geared towards people who don't want to or can't breed. It'd be a completely separate thing, as for the scattervials, they are going to reach a point where people either don't want to sell them because 'too awesome to sell' or because they have reached the point where they simply are just too expansive, and unless the staff decides to add stacks of scattervials to roundsey. they're not really a good investment. As stated before investments are never secure things, people who play like this aren't invalid in any kind of way but it's important to note that investments might not always go as one might hope.

Idk what the staff will do going forward but I do hope that they will make the right choice

DVcXRyP.png
I disagree.

In order to avoid discussion with others, that's all I'm going to say
I disagree.

In order to avoid discussion with others, that's all I'm going to say
Jqlkxca.png
@SaaviYB Something you should be aware of. Simply writing whether you agree or not without any reasoning to back it up is considered spam. The Suggestions forum is not for petitions, it's for in-depth discussion. I suggest you back up your reasoning so this post doesn't get deleted, though based on your signature, I can hazard a guess at what your reasoning is. If eyes remain breeding-only, nest renters are set to make a fortune.

If nest rentals were a supported transaction, I'd say your argument carries more weight. But unfortunately they're not. Turning nest rentals into the new normal weakens the "not your lair, not your dragon" rule, and my belief is that the site as a whole would suffer for that
@SaaviYB Something you should be aware of. Simply writing whether you agree or not without any reasoning to back it up is considered spam. The Suggestions forum is not for petitions, it's for in-depth discussion. I suggest you back up your reasoning so this post doesn't get deleted, though based on your signature, I can hazard a guess at what your reasoning is. If eyes remain breeding-only, nest renters are set to make a fortune.

If nest rentals were a supported transaction, I'd say your argument carries more weight. But unfortunately they're not. Turning nest rentals into the new normal weakens the "not your lair, not your dragon" rule, and my belief is that the site as a whole would suffer for that
It takes Twelve Years for one Imperial pair to produce a Primal-eyed offspring of a specific sex. Goal-based breeding is dead.
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 167 168