Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Make gem genes cheaper
1 2 3 4 5
being poor doesn't mean you aren't allowed to enjoy things, you absolute cops

I think the issue isn't the price of gems, it's just the fact that the gem:treasure ratio is only going to get further apart. This is why people always get so mad about these earn with play vs. earn with money types of currency. Because then people with disposable incomes can have beautiful accounts while us poories gotta suffer with like...crackle (seriously, what IS that gene??). Ultimately, people with more money can, and do, buy as many gems as possible and hoard them up to drive up the price. The only way to counteract that is to put more gems into circulation, but then that defeats the entire point of having a secondary, harder-to-obtain currency. Plus, gems are probably FR's main source of income and they can't run the site without it.

What I'm saying is that I don't think this is a support/non support issue, this is just like how money works unfortunately.

Edit: Also, to be fair, FR is one of the few games I've played that makes it possible for you to get a decent amount of gems without spending real money, which a lot of websites/apps/games make totally impossible.

I think the issue isn't the price of gems, it's just the fact that the gem:treasure ratio is only going to get further apart. This is why people always get so mad about these earn with play vs. earn with money types of currency. Because then people with disposable incomes can have beautiful accounts while us poories gotta suffer with like...crackle (seriously, what IS that gene??). Ultimately, people with more money can, and do, buy as many gems as possible and hoard them up to drive up the price. The only way to counteract that is to put more gems into circulation, but then that defeats the entire point of having a secondary, harder-to-obtain currency. Plus, gems are probably FR's main source of income and they can't run the site without it.

What I'm saying is that I don't think this is a support/non support issue, this is just like how money works unfortunately.

Edit: Also, to be fair, FR is one of the few games I've played that makes it possible for you to get a decent amount of gems without spending real money, which a lot of websites/apps/games make totally impossible.
xxxxx 569de840d7ab578c646472669b87d8b4347cbeae.png xxx
hello i am robin :)
i'm 28 yrs old
graphix shop
she/her
en/de
23820.png 23859.png 39072.png
[quote name="peachling" date="2019-05-21 19:05:31" ] being poor doesn't mean you aren't allowed to enjoy things, you absolute cops I think the issue isn't the price of gems, it's just the fact that the gem:treasure ratio is only going to get further apart. This is why people always get so mad about these earn with play vs. earn with money types of currency. Because then people with disposable incomes can have beautiful accounts while us poories gotta suffer with like...crackle (seriously, what IS that gene??). Ultimately, people with more money can, and do, buy as many gems as possible and hoard them up to drive up the price. The only way to counteract that is to put more gems into circulation, but then that defeats the entire point of having a secondary, harder-to-obtain currency. Plus, gems are probably FR's main source of income and they can't run the site without it. What I'm saying is that I don't think this is a support/non support issue, this is just like how money works unfortunately. Edit: Also, to be fair, FR is one of the few games I've played that makes it possible for you to get a decent amount of gems without spending real money, which a lot of websites/apps/games make totally impossible. [/quote] There areseveral flaws I see with your post. 1. Of course those who are poor can enjoy things, but they can't enjoy the same things that richer people can buy with money. However, we aren't talking about real life, we are talking about a game. A game that, as you said, is very good about making it possible to get decent amount of gems without spending a dime. So, in this case, 'poor' players can absolutely enjoy the exact same things as 'richer' players, it will just take them longer. 2. You don't have to 'suffer' with crackle if you dont' want it. If you dislike crackle, don't buy dragons with it and don't gene your dragons with it. If you want a gem gene, then save up and buy the gem gene. So, even a 'poorie' can have beautiful accounts and beautiful dragons, it will just take them longer to obtain said accounts and dragons. 3. I sincerely doubt that many players buy gems and hoard them (sure there are some, but most I imagine have some idea of what they want to do with them). The reason why the gem to treasure ratio is getting out of hand is the same reason it gets out of hand on all petstes pretty much: not as many people buying gems from the site plus not enough effective treasure sinks. Treasure is incredibly easy to earn on this site once you figure it out. Glimmer and Gloom can make you 75k, and even exalting level 1 hatchlings or tossing them in the coliseum a minute or two can net you a healthy profit if you are decidcated enough. Above all, Flight Rising is a game, and games often require time and money. FR is very lenient about requiring money to do things, or acquire things, and so I don't begrudge them their gem prices. Again, as stated earlier, having a fuller range of options, both treasure and gem, for genes would be great (and this includes even more expensive genes so they are truly 'luxury' items). Oh, and for disclosure, I rarely buy gems, because I don't have a disposible income and thus can't afford it. I would love to, because I have two sites that I love and want to support, but I have to make do with the 'free' gems and earning treasure to convert to gems when I want them.
peachling wrote on 2019-05-21 19:05:31:

There areseveral flaws I see with your post.

1. Of course those who are poor can enjoy things, but they can't enjoy the same things that richer people can buy with money. However, we aren't talking about real life, we are talking about a game. A game that, as you said, is very good about making it possible to get decent amount of gems without spending a dime. So, in this case, 'poor' players can absolutely enjoy the exact same things as 'richer' players, it will just take them longer.

2. You don't have to 'suffer' with crackle if you dont' want it. If you dislike crackle, don't buy dragons with it and don't gene your dragons with it. If you want a gem gene, then save up and buy the gem gene. So, even a 'poorie' can have beautiful accounts and beautiful dragons, it will just take them longer to obtain said accounts and dragons.

3. I sincerely doubt that many players buy gems and hoard them (sure there are some, but most I imagine have some idea of what they want to do with them). The reason why the gem to treasure ratio is getting out of hand is the same reason it gets out of hand on all petstes pretty much: not as many people buying gems from the site plus not enough effective treasure sinks. Treasure is incredibly easy to earn on this site once you figure it out. Glimmer and Gloom can make you 75k, and even exalting level 1 hatchlings or tossing them in the coliseum a minute or two can net you a healthy profit if you are decidcated enough.

Above all, Flight Rising is a game, and games often require time and money. FR is very lenient about requiring money to do things, or acquire things, and so I don't begrudge them their gem prices.

Again, as stated earlier, having a fuller range of options, both treasure and gem, for genes would be great (and this includes even more expensive genes so they are truly 'luxury' items).

Oh, and for disclosure, I rarely buy gems, because I don't have a disposible income and thus can't afford it. I would love to, because I have two sites that I love and want to support, but I have to make do with the 'free' gems and earning treasure to convert to gems when I want them.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
You're welcome to your opinion. Here's the thing, for me. I'd love to support the site financially, but I don't buy gems almost ever specifically because I can't even get two genes for $20. That is actively discouraging. If I could be guaranteed to finish one whole dragon with a $20 bill? That would be where my limited fun money goes much more regularly. Once a month, most likely. FR would get more money out of me in one year than they've gotten in the entirety of the five years I've been on site. And since it'd be that much easier to finish a whole dragon (or two, or three, depending on what each one needed) every month, I'd happily acquire more dragons that would then need gening and pop myself into a bit of a cycle.

But $20 for a single item that then carries forth little to no interaction (especially if you put it on a G1)? Nah. Nah. I'd rather go give that to a mobile game or something. At least then I know I'll get 400 poke balls, or be able to pick up a whole older console game, or whatever. And I keep an adblocker on at all times because of all the virus problems that have come from FR for people, so...
You're welcome to your opinion. Here's the thing, for me. I'd love to support the site financially, but I don't buy gems almost ever specifically because I can't even get two genes for $20. That is actively discouraging. If I could be guaranteed to finish one whole dragon with a $20 bill? That would be where my limited fun money goes much more regularly. Once a month, most likely. FR would get more money out of me in one year than they've gotten in the entirety of the five years I've been on site. And since it'd be that much easier to finish a whole dragon (or two, or three, depending on what each one needed) every month, I'd happily acquire more dragons that would then need gening and pop myself into a bit of a cycle.

But $20 for a single item that then carries forth little to no interaction (especially if you put it on a G1)? Nah. Nah. I'd rather go give that to a mobile game or something. At least then I know I'll get 400 poke balls, or be able to pick up a whole older console game, or whatever. And I keep an adblocker on at all times because of all the virus problems that have come from FR for people, so...
J7D1quC.png
CfG2LT1.png
XP7djFk.png
WKtl2lb.png
ll0CfnD.png
YMPbu9R.png
I don't buy gems anymore (for the purchase of gem genes) because most gem-gened dragons are worth next to nothing. The price of gem genes needs to be reduced significantly to correspond more closely with the sale price of gem-gened dragons.

How can I justify spending 3900 gems (around $35 USD) to buy Wasp/Bee/Glimmer genes for a dragon when you can buy a pre-gened Wasp/Bee/Glimmer dragon for as little as 7 gems in the auction house? It's impossible to get back your investment. :(
I don't buy gems anymore (for the purchase of gem genes) because most gem-gened dragons are worth next to nothing. The price of gem genes needs to be reduced significantly to correspond more closely with the sale price of gem-gened dragons.

How can I justify spending 3900 gems (around $35 USD) to buy Wasp/Bee/Glimmer genes for a dragon when you can buy a pre-gened Wasp/Bee/Glimmer dragon for as little as 7 gems in the auction house? It's impossible to get back your investment. :(
rsz-lorwolf-banner.png
i can support future cheaper gem-gene options, but the art has to reflect it as well -- there needs to be some sort of trade-off. as for lowering the current ones, definitely not! it's too far in for those.
i can support future cheaper gem-gene options, but the art has to reflect it as well -- there needs to be some sort of trade-off. as for lowering the current ones, definitely not! it's too far in for those.
yzUX307.png
[quote name="Tropic" date="2019-05-24 10:38:42" ] I don't buy gems anymore (for the purchase of gem genes) because most gem-gened dragons are worth next to nothing. The price of gem genes needs to be reduced significantly to correspond more closely with the sale price of gem-gened dragons. How can I justify spending 3900 gems (around $35 USD) to buy Wasp/Bee/Glimmer genes for a dragon when you can buy a pre-gened Wasp/Bee/Glimmer dragon for as little as 7 gems in the auction house? It's impossible to get back your investment. :( [/quote] ...That's because once you apply a scroll - which is, take note, not retired and can be generated indefinitely - it ceases to be an investment.
Tropic wrote on 2019-05-24 10:38:42:

...That's because once you apply a scroll - which is, take note, not retired and can be generated indefinitely - it ceases to be an investment.
JQQ3Fjt.png
[quote name="Tropic" date="2019-05-24 10:38:42" ] I don't buy gems anymore (for the purchase of gem genes) because most gem-gened dragons are worth next to nothing. The price of gem genes needs to be reduced significantly to correspond more closely with the sale price of gem-gened dragons. How can I justify spending 3900 gems (around $35 USD) to buy Wasp/Bee/Glimmer genes for a dragon when you can buy a pre-gened Wasp/Bee/Glimmer dragon for as little as 7 gems in the auction house? It's impossible to get back your investment. :( [/quote]Buying gem genes in hopes of earning more than you spent on the gene isn't really smart gameplay unless the gene is brand new and even then you need desirable colors.
Tropic wrote on 2019-05-24 10:38:42:

Buying gem genes in hopes of earning more than you spent on the gene isn't really smart gameplay unless the gene is brand new and even then you need desirable colors.

ZQGfAQY.png
I don’t know if they could change the prices of current Gem genes, but I’d be all for some new, cheaper Gem genes in the future! Even if they were more simplistic, it would be nice to have the option there. We’ve got a wide range of Treasure gene prices; why not Gem genes?

I agree that the current Gem gene prices feel... kind of steep, though. $10 USD can’t even buy you a single Gem gene. $20 USD ($27 CAD for me) is only enough to buy either 1 Coatl scroll, or 1 Gem gene with some change left over (500-800g). I’ve bought Gem genes several times, and spent real money on FR, but it definitely doesn’t feel like you get as much bang for your buck as other games.

I get that Gem genes/breeds aren’t supposed to be an investment that pays off, and yes I’m well aware that you don’t need to spend RL cash to get Gems- but a minimum of $15 USD (500 + 1000 Gems) to afford a single gene (basically a cosmetic change) still feels strangely pricey to me.
I don’t know if they could change the prices of current Gem genes, but I’d be all for some new, cheaper Gem genes in the future! Even if they were more simplistic, it would be nice to have the option there. We’ve got a wide range of Treasure gene prices; why not Gem genes?

I agree that the current Gem gene prices feel... kind of steep, though. $10 USD can’t even buy you a single Gem gene. $20 USD ($27 CAD for me) is only enough to buy either 1 Coatl scroll, or 1 Gem gene with some change left over (500-800g). I’ve bought Gem genes several times, and spent real money on FR, but it definitely doesn’t feel like you get as much bang for your buck as other games.

I get that Gem genes/breeds aren’t supposed to be an investment that pays off, and yes I’m well aware that you don’t need to spend RL cash to get Gems- but a minimum of $15 USD (500 + 1000 Gems) to afford a single gene (basically a cosmetic change) still feels strangely pricey to me.
PB-logo-transparent1.png gem.png Ashes | F
gem.png +4h FR time
gem.png Feel free to ping me!
i can't support the tinkering of current prices, but i can support more cheap, nice gem genes in the future! i dont agree the current prices for gem genes are a lot. i get it's an investment but the price is steep ** compared to other items.

you don't NEED gem genes. there are plenty of lovely treasure genes that are available. if all you want is gem items then...that's kind of a you problem. that is a bit mean but i don't know what else to tell you. whenever i have a gen one and want gem genes but don't have enough gems i find other genes for treasure. you can save up and then give the dragon gem genes later.

there are many ways to steadily make gems on here if you put your mind to it. some people make gems easier than others but almost everyone has an equal chance to make quite a bit currency. i get some players don't have time but that's just the way it is.
i can't support the tinkering of current prices, but i can support more cheap, nice gem genes in the future! i dont agree the current prices for gem genes are a lot. i get it's an investment but the price is steep ** compared to other items.

you don't NEED gem genes. there are plenty of lovely treasure genes that are available. if all you want is gem items then...that's kind of a you problem. that is a bit mean but i don't know what else to tell you. whenever i have a gen one and want gem genes but don't have enough gems i find other genes for treasure. you can save up and then give the dragon gem genes later.

there are many ways to steadily make gems on here if you put your mind to it. some people make gems easier than others but almost everyone has an equal chance to make quite a bit currency. i get some players don't have time but that's just the way it is.
No support for changing the gem price of existing scrolls.

Has anyone considered the intersection between "gems are easy to get via game play" and "RL money doesn't buy a lot of gems*" here? It might be because the amounts are a way to encourage people to play the game instead of just buying their way to whatever they want. It's a way to make the game "stickier" by encouraging us to be engaged with earning currency onsite to supplement what we buy instead of relying on buying alone.

*opinion of people who want lower prices for gem genes and/or for gems to be cheaper to buy.

No support for changing the gem price of existing scrolls.

Has anyone considered the intersection between "gems are easy to get via game play" and "RL money doesn't buy a lot of gems*" here? It might be because the amounts are a way to encourage people to play the game instead of just buying their way to whatever they want. It's a way to make the game "stickier" by encouraging us to be engaged with earning currency onsite to supplement what we buy instead of relying on buying alone.

*opinion of people who want lower prices for gem genes and/or for gems to be cheaper to buy.

I want to live in Theory. Everything works there.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
1 2 3 4 5