Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Make gem genes cheaper
1 2 3 4 5
[quote name="RedWillia" date="2019-05-19 09:30:07" ] [quote name="May" date="2019-05-18 23:12:48" ] i think [b]everyone[/b] who's ever had a g1 to gene has scryed them with pretty gem genes, [b]only to give up on the idea[/b] [/quote] Considering there are plenty of people who even gem gene non-G1s (the horror, I know /s), please speak for yourself. In end, I find this reason ("too expensive") to make them cheaper both subjective and non-ending - because if current gem genes are made to be 700-800, then I am 100% sure that very soon there will be another identical thread saying how they are still too expensive. No support due to no actual reasons given. [/quote] everyone i talked to about this told me that they often give up pretty, expensive scries because of the price of gem genes. im aware that people who arent like that exist, thank you :) just expressed myself in a wrong way. and the reason was there, in the first paragraph lol -- also, sorry for the small text. didnt realize it was so hard to read for some!
RedWillia wrote on 2019-05-19 09:30:07:
May wrote on 2019-05-18 23:12:48:
i think everyone who's ever had a g1 to gene has scryed them with pretty gem genes, only to give up on the idea

Considering there are plenty of people who even gem gene non-G1s (the horror, I know /s), please speak for yourself.

In end, I find this reason ("too expensive") to make them cheaper both subjective and non-ending - because if current gem genes are made to be 700-800, then I am 100% sure that very soon there will be another identical thread saying how they are still too expensive. No support due to no actual reasons given.
everyone i talked to about this told me that they often give up pretty, expensive scries because of the price of gem genes. im aware that people who arent like that exist, thank you :) just expressed myself in a wrong way.

and the reason was there, in the first paragraph lol

--
also, sorry for the small text. didnt realize it was so hard to read for some!
Ra2gKTW.png
may ♠ she/her ♠ +9 fr time
[ accent shop ]
edited the original post with a new idea!
edited the original post with a new idea!
Ra2gKTW.png
may ♠ she/her ♠ +9 fr time
[ accent shop ]
[quote name="May" date="2019-05-18 23:12:48" ] edit: after reading everyone's suggestions, how about making future gem genes a lot cheaper [/quote] No support due to no reasons given as to why that should be done. [quote name="May" date="2019-05-18 23:12:48" ] also making their price range depending on the complexity? e.g. something like firefly being around 500 gems while something like butterfly can remain around 1000 [/quote] While it seems a popular enough idea, I think it unfairly penalizes those that like complex designs and the proposed prices vary far too much. No support for these particular changes.
edit: after reading everyone's suggestions, how about making future gem genes a lot cheaper

No support due to no reasons given as to why that should be done.
also making their price range depending on the complexity? e.g. something like firefly being around 500 gems while something like butterfly can remain around 1000

While it seems a popular enough idea, I think it unfairly penalizes those that like complex designs and the proposed prices vary far too much. No support for these particular changes.
JQQ3Fjt.png
I think if prices for genes released in the future are based on complexity, people are going to try to use that as an argument for changing the price of existing simple genes like Stained.

I see no problem with gem genes keeping the consistent price structure they have.
I think if prices for genes released in the future are based on complexity, people are going to try to use that as an argument for changing the price of existing simple genes like Stained.

I see no problem with gem genes keeping the consistent price structure they have.
ZQGfAQY.png
[quote name="fignan" date="2019-05-20 07:00:09" ] I would buy gems way more often (or even regularly) if they went further. Asking the equivalent of t w e n t y real-world human dollars for an unlimited, unretired item on a petsite is absolutely bananas[/quote] For real. Asking two hours of min wage work for a single gem gene is... it's honestly bonkers, to me. Especially since they can be bred off into unlimited numbers of babies. If they were uninheritable I'd understand why they were $15 a piece, because it'd be a sign of disposable income, but...? As it is the only thing that makes them actually irreplaceable is on G1s--and if you don't actually care about G1s then even that is removed.
fignan wrote on 2019-05-20 07:00:09:
I would buy gems way more often (or even regularly) if they went further. Asking the equivalent of t w e n t y real-world human dollars for an unlimited, unretired item on a petsite is absolutely bananas

For real. Asking two hours of min wage work for a single gem gene is... it's honestly bonkers, to me. Especially since they can be bred off into unlimited numbers of babies. If they were uninheritable I'd understand why they were $15 a piece, because it'd be a sign of disposable income, but...? As it is the only thing that makes them actually irreplaceable is on G1s--and if you don't actually care about G1s then even that is removed.
J7D1quC.png
CfG2LT1.png
XP7djFk.png
WKtl2lb.png
ll0CfnD.png
YMPbu9R.png
[quote name="Snek" date="2019-05-20 14:06:52" ] [quote name="fignan" date="2019-05-20 07:00:09" ] I would buy gems way more often (or even regularly) if they went further. Asking the equivalent of t w e n t y real-world human dollars for an unlimited, unretired item on a petsite is absolutely bananas[/quote] For real. Asking two hours of min wage work for a single gem gene is... it's honestly bonkers, to me. Especially since they can be bred off into unlimited numbers of babies. If they were uninheritable I'd understand why they were $15 a piece, because it'd be a sign of disposable income, but...? As it is the only thing that makes them actually irreplaceable is on G1s--and if you don't actually care about G1s then even that is removed. [/quote] The thing is? Genes are luxury items and a way for the site to make income. Sure they are expensive, but you also do not have to actually buy the gems yourself. You also don't have to buy the gene yourself unless you want it on a specific dragon. And if you DO want it on a specific dragon, then you chose to gene that particular dragon and use that particular gene. (these are general yous. not specifically to the quoted people) You can earn gems through site activity (well fed bonus and chests from bonding and I think even some coli chests give them out) and you can buy them off other players. I also don't really agree on making gene prices correlate to complexity, and I do not agree with changing existing prices of genes either. I do agree that cheaper genes all around would be great, and that they would be great to have more simplistic options available.
Snek wrote on 2019-05-20 14:06:52:
I would buy gems way more often (or even regularly) if they went further. Asking the equivalent of t w e n t y real-world human dollars for an unlimited, unretired item on a petsite is absolutely bananas

For real. Asking two hours of min wage work for a single gem gene is... it's honestly bonkers, to me. Especially since they can be bred off into unlimited numbers of babies. If they were uninheritable I'd understand why they were $15 a piece, because it'd be a sign of disposable income, but...? As it is the only thing that makes them actually irreplaceable is on G1s--and if you don't actually care about G1s then even that is removed.
The thing is? Genes are luxury items and a way for the site to make income. Sure they are expensive, but you also do not have to actually buy the gems yourself. You also don't have to buy the gene yourself unless you want it on a specific dragon. And if you DO want it on a specific dragon, then you chose to gene that particular dragon and use that particular gene. (these are general yous. not specifically to the quoted people)

You can earn gems through site activity (well fed bonus and chests from bonding and I think even some coli chests give them out) and you can buy them off other players.

I also don't really agree on making gene prices correlate to complexity, and I do not agree with changing existing prices of genes either.

I do agree that cheaper genes all around would be great, and that they would be great to have more simplistic options available.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
To be honest, this is just the downside of not having a high disposable income IRL/being a casual player.

If you get lucky with drops, you can make a good chunk of gems. That said, I've only managed to accumulate 750 gems with what I consider to be reasonably good luck. Eventually, I'd like to open a Lore Shop, but for now the bulk of my FR wealth is treasure.

Which - you can trade for gems. I forget the exchange rate. But if you grind and exalt fodder drags, you can actually make OBSCENE amounts of treasure! I had 500k last Thursday. I have 1.5 mil now.

There are no more cheap dragons on the AH. It's. It's my fault. Sorry. XD

To be honest, this is just the downside of not having a high disposable income IRL/being a casual player.

If you get lucky with drops, you can make a good chunk of gems. That said, I've only managed to accumulate 750 gems with what I consider to be reasonably good luck. Eventually, I'd like to open a Lore Shop, but for now the bulk of my FR wealth is treasure.

Which - you can trade for gems. I forget the exchange rate. But if you grind and exalt fodder drags, you can actually make OBSCENE amounts of treasure! I had 500k last Thursday. I have 1.5 mil now.

There are no more cheap dragons on the AH. It's. It's my fault. Sorry. XD

nZzzLxJ.png Horror aesthetic/lore lair
Weird goblin hermit
She/Her
.......................... Massive Horror fan
Gamer
Writer
zwGyDvx.png
[quote name="Jemadar" date="2019-05-20 17:09:45" ] [quote name="Snek" date="2019-05-20 14:06:52" ] [quote name="fignan" date="2019-05-20 07:00:09" ] I would buy gems way more often (or even regularly) if they went further. Asking the equivalent of t w e n t y real-world human dollars for an unlimited, unretired item on a petsite is absolutely bananas[/quote] For real. Asking two hours of min wage work for a single gem gene is... it's honestly bonkers, to me. Especially since they can be bred off into unlimited numbers of babies. If they were uninheritable I'd understand why they were $15 a piece, because it'd be a sign of disposable income, but...? As it is the only thing that makes them actually irreplaceable is on G1s--and if you don't actually care about G1s then even that is removed. [/quote] The thing is? Genes are luxury items and a way for the site to make income. [snip] [/quote] That was kinda my point- I'd wager that FR would sell more gems if they were cheaper or if the things that you buy with gems didn't cost so much. They might make less money on each transaction, but they would move more units, so to speak. There's a reason microtransactions are big business. A lower bar to entry makes more sense too, I think, given that petsites are mostly populated with people in their teens-to-mid-twenties, who have no money :P Regardless! This is business model stuff that probably should have been thought about in the pre-alpha stages of this site and I can't think of a way to fix it that's fair to everyone, so it's kind of a moot point. And, in the grand scheme of things, saving up enough treasure to buy gem items from other players is totally achievable, so it's not a huge deal.
Jemadar wrote on 2019-05-20 17:09:45:
Snek wrote on 2019-05-20 14:06:52:

The thing is? Genes are luxury items and a way for the site to make income. [snip]

That was kinda my point- I'd wager that FR would sell more gems if they were cheaper or if the things that you buy with gems didn't cost so much. They might make less money on each transaction, but they would move more units, so to speak. There's a reason microtransactions are big business.

A lower bar to entry makes more sense too, I think, given that petsites are mostly populated with people in their teens-to-mid-twenties, who have no money :P

Regardless! This is business model stuff that probably should have been thought about in the pre-alpha stages of this site and I can't think of a way to fix it that's fair to everyone, so it's kind of a moot point. And, in the grand scheme of things, saving up enough treasure to buy gem items from other players is totally achievable, so it's not a huge deal.
tumblr_ng38pm8aNf1s1vxfao1_400.png
I wouldn't bring them down to as much as 750-850 gems, but maybe take those that cost 1200 to 1000 and those that cost 1500 to 1300 instead
I wouldn't bring them down to as much as 750-850 gems, but maybe take those that cost 1200 to 1000 and those that cost 1500 to 1300 instead
PLAGUEBRINGER_sig.png
I'm sorry, no support!
I wouldn't mind cheaper gem genes, but don't lower the prices of what we have!
It wouldn't be fair to those who have saved up to buy them.

I'm a longtime player who's spent at most $15 on gems, and I currently have 18965G saved.
In my personal opinion, gems aren't that hard to acquire! ;;
I'm sorry, no support!
I wouldn't mind cheaper gem genes, but don't lower the prices of what we have!
It wouldn't be fair to those who have saved up to buy them.

I'm a longtime player who's spent at most $15 on gems, and I currently have 18965G saved.
In my personal opinion, gems aren't that hard to acquire! ;;
1 2 3 4 5