Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Block Users Who Have Us Blocked
1 2 3 4
Title is pretty self-explanatory.

There should be a function to let us block users even if they've already blocked you. I am not comfortable with the fact that they could unblock and interact whenever they felt like it, it's very one sided.
Title is pretty self-explanatory.

There should be a function to let us block users even if they've already blocked you. I am not comfortable with the fact that they could unblock and interact whenever they felt like it, it's very one sided.
Yep, this needs to be added. I know there's a workaround for this, but users shouldn't have to use workarounds for this sort of thing.
Yep, this needs to be added. I know there's a workaround for this, but users shouldn't have to use workarounds for this sort of thing.
As long as it’s optional and not automatic.

I don’t care if I’m blocked by a person or not but I wouldn’t want to run into the various user blocked messages while scrolling the forums because the system autoblocked players that blocked me
As long as it’s optional and not automatic.

I don’t care if I’m blocked by a person or not but I wouldn’t want to run into the various user blocked messages while scrolling the forums because the system autoblocked players that blocked me
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
Like, why should I have to view someone's profile page or forum posts to block them anyway? The whole point of blocking is I don't want to be around this person. There should be a box where you can just type in the ID of someone you want to block and hit a button.

(Though I also acknowledge you have to visit the person's profile page to get their ID number in the first place. It's not a perfect plan, but blocking based on username won't help because Usernames can be changed for $5.)
Like, why should I have to view someone's profile page or forum posts to block them anyway? The whole point of blocking is I don't want to be around this person. There should be a box where you can just type in the ID of someone you want to block and hit a button.

(Though I also acknowledge you have to visit the person's profile page to get their ID number in the first place. It's not a perfect plan, but blocking based on username won't help because Usernames can be changed for $5.)
It takes Twelve Years for one Imperial pair to produce a Primal-eyed offspring of a specific sex. Goal-based breeding is dead.
@Dagomar it literally isn't about that. If someone on here makes me uncomfortable, I don't want them to interact with me in any way. I want that security. If they already have me blocked, then that's great but I have no assurance that they won't interact in the future. I want that extra layer of "do not interact" and I cannot do that under the current system.
@Dagomar it literally isn't about that. If someone on here makes me uncomfortable, I don't want them to interact with me in any way. I want that security. If they already have me blocked, then that's great but I have no assurance that they won't interact in the future. I want that extra layer of "do not interact" and I cannot do that under the current system.
To be honest, it doesn't matter WHY someone blocks someone else.

In the scenario presented think of it like this: You have a friend, you have an argument with that friend and they block you. You shouldn't have to put up with your friend deciding when they want to contact you if you don't want to. In real life, you can block their phone numbers back, so they can't contact you that way. On FR, there is no way to do that.

Also, quite frankly, if someone blocks me, I do have a problem with them. I might not know what it is, but SOMETHING about me bothers them, so I shouldn't be forced to interact with them unless I want to. If they want to unblock, then that is great, but it doesn't mean that I am required to get over it (if I am truly upset)

Plus, think about this scenario: Someone is lowkey harassing you. You can't prove it, because they are doing it lowkey, but you feel uncomfortable with them. However, before you can block them, they block you. You think 'Great, I won't have to deal with them' but then they unblock you and post or PM or buy dragons or whatever, and then immediately reblock you. You have no opportunity to block them, and can't potentially report them for harassment if you don't have proof they are doing this specifically to harass you. (harassment isn't always easy to define, and what some may consider harassment others don't. Look at the threads about being congratulated by hundreds of users for winning a raffle. While something like that isn't exactly harassment, to some users, especially if they have a note that says don't do that and people still do, it feels like harassment)

Basically, to me, not wanting this feels like 'I want to be able to block you when I want, but I don't want you to return the favor because I might want to interact in the future'. If you block someone, don't expect to interact with them. If you block someone, the other person should have the ability to block you as well.

Basically, I don't feel that anyone should have a right to communicate, or interact with any other person if that person doesn't want the interaction, no matter whether there is a block in place already or not.

Not having this ability is putting the ability to moderate their experiences directly on the person who does the blocking. The blocked person can't moderate their experience back because they can't block the person who just blocked them. If the person who did the blocking decides that they are over whatever the reason they blocked, they can now resume interaction with the person they blocked, while the person they blocked has no opportunity to prevent that interaction until it actually happens. (unless they constantly stalk the profile to see if it becomes unblocked).

I see people use 'people block for petty reasons' as an excuse not to have better options when blocking, and I don't care. If someone wants to block me because I use a blue water mirror, then go right ahead, if they don't want me to buy their auctions, that is great, Iwill give my money to other players. There are some areas I feel should be reworked to prevent someone completely shutting down areas to the people they blocked (such as the AH), but people also block for extremely legitimate reasons and the idea that people block for petty reasons shouldn't result in refusing to implement QoL updates that will make the site's experience better for them.
To be honest, it doesn't matter WHY someone blocks someone else.

In the scenario presented think of it like this: You have a friend, you have an argument with that friend and they block you. You shouldn't have to put up with your friend deciding when they want to contact you if you don't want to. In real life, you can block their phone numbers back, so they can't contact you that way. On FR, there is no way to do that.

Also, quite frankly, if someone blocks me, I do have a problem with them. I might not know what it is, but SOMETHING about me bothers them, so I shouldn't be forced to interact with them unless I want to. If they want to unblock, then that is great, but it doesn't mean that I am required to get over it (if I am truly upset)

Plus, think about this scenario: Someone is lowkey harassing you. You can't prove it, because they are doing it lowkey, but you feel uncomfortable with them. However, before you can block them, they block you. You think 'Great, I won't have to deal with them' but then they unblock you and post or PM or buy dragons or whatever, and then immediately reblock you. You have no opportunity to block them, and can't potentially report them for harassment if you don't have proof they are doing this specifically to harass you. (harassment isn't always easy to define, and what some may consider harassment others don't. Look at the threads about being congratulated by hundreds of users for winning a raffle. While something like that isn't exactly harassment, to some users, especially if they have a note that says don't do that and people still do, it feels like harassment)

Basically, to me, not wanting this feels like 'I want to be able to block you when I want, but I don't want you to return the favor because I might want to interact in the future'. If you block someone, don't expect to interact with them. If you block someone, the other person should have the ability to block you as well.

Basically, I don't feel that anyone should have a right to communicate, or interact with any other person if that person doesn't want the interaction, no matter whether there is a block in place already or not.

Not having this ability is putting the ability to moderate their experiences directly on the person who does the blocking. The blocked person can't moderate their experience back because they can't block the person who just blocked them. If the person who did the blocking decides that they are over whatever the reason they blocked, they can now resume interaction with the person they blocked, while the person they blocked has no opportunity to prevent that interaction until it actually happens. (unless they constantly stalk the profile to see if it becomes unblocked).

I see people use 'people block for petty reasons' as an excuse not to have better options when blocking, and I don't care. If someone wants to block me because I use a blue water mirror, then go right ahead, if they don't want me to buy their auctions, that is great, Iwill give my money to other players. There are some areas I feel should be reworked to prevent someone completely shutting down areas to the people they blocked (such as the AH), but people also block for extremely legitimate reasons and the idea that people block for petty reasons shouldn't result in refusing to implement QoL updates that will make the site's experience better for them.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
@Dagomor
I'm sorry but I really can't agree with this. Allowing users to block other players that have already blocked them doesn't strike me as petty, especially since there is no way for most players to find out who has blocked them unless they happen to stumble upon their userpage or forum posts. The circumstances around the block frankly don't matter; if the blocked party wants to block the individual who first blocked them, they should be well within their rights to do that.

Anyone should be free to block anyone for their own reasons, but this should also include users who wish to block players who have pre-blocked them. This might not even be done maliciously, but out of preference for not wanting to interact with said user in the future to avoid possible conflict. There is no way of knowing why certain users have blocked others, so blocked users should have the equal opportunity to exercise their own discretion, especially if they are being blocked for doing nothing but having an unappealing avatar, or identifying a certain way that the original blocker doesn't like, or having certain opinions, or just because.

The issue stems predominantly from players who will block others (particularly those with whom they have personal conflicts), then unblock them for very brief windows of time so they can comment on the formerly blocked user's posts or profile, only to block them again immediately after posting so the blocked user cannot reply to them directly or defend themselves. This action is inherently a form of harassment (whether the user deserves it or not is irrelevant) and is very easily resolved by allowing the blocked party to block the other individual in turn, rather than being forced to wait around for a harassment ticket to process or lurking on the other individual's page to wait for them to unblock/comment spam again so they can block the harassing user themselves.

This is not an eye-for-an-eye issue, and if anything it should hopefully reduce on-site conflicts and potential harassment.

Support.
@Dagomor
I'm sorry but I really can't agree with this. Allowing users to block other players that have already blocked them doesn't strike me as petty, especially since there is no way for most players to find out who has blocked them unless they happen to stumble upon their userpage or forum posts. The circumstances around the block frankly don't matter; if the blocked party wants to block the individual who first blocked them, they should be well within their rights to do that.

Anyone should be free to block anyone for their own reasons, but this should also include users who wish to block players who have pre-blocked them. This might not even be done maliciously, but out of preference for not wanting to interact with said user in the future to avoid possible conflict. There is no way of knowing why certain users have blocked others, so blocked users should have the equal opportunity to exercise their own discretion, especially if they are being blocked for doing nothing but having an unappealing avatar, or identifying a certain way that the original blocker doesn't like, or having certain opinions, or just because.

The issue stems predominantly from players who will block others (particularly those with whom they have personal conflicts), then unblock them for very brief windows of time so they can comment on the formerly blocked user's posts or profile, only to block them again immediately after posting so the blocked user cannot reply to them directly or defend themselves. This action is inherently a form of harassment (whether the user deserves it or not is irrelevant) and is very easily resolved by allowing the blocked party to block the other individual in turn, rather than being forced to wait around for a harassment ticket to process or lurking on the other individual's page to wait for them to unblock/comment spam again so they can block the harassing user themselves.

This is not an eye-for-an-eye issue, and if anything it should hopefully reduce on-site conflicts and potential harassment.

Support.

“Denizens of the Volt-Lands”
She/They/He | FR Time +0
[quote name="@Dagomor" date="2019-02-05 07:13:47" ] No support, there are so many reasons why someone might block, and it might be temporary. Implementing something like this seems petty. They blocked you, you might have zero problems with them, and they just don't want to see your avatar dragon for some reason. Maybe they unblock you and see whatever it was has changed, and you still have them blocked and still had zero issues with them. Does the system auto-unblock them? This ***-for-tat block idea sounds like a very poor idea that will just exacerbate conflicts. [/quote] I honestly don't understand this? If I want to block someone for any reason, why should the site prevent me from doing so? Why do I have to justify blocking someone, when they can block me at will? As it is, if I'm having a conflict with someone and want no further contact with them, and they beat me to the punch on blocking, I have [i]no[/i] recourse in the situation. I cannot protect myself from further contact with that user because the site gives me no way to block someone. Why is that acceptable?
@Dagomor wrote on 2019-02-05 07:13:47:
No support, there are so many reasons why someone might block, and it might be temporary. Implementing something like this seems petty. They blocked you, you might have zero problems with them, and they just don't want to see your avatar dragon for some reason.

Maybe they unblock you and see whatever it was has changed, and you still have them blocked and still had zero issues with them. Does the system auto-unblock them?

This ***-for-tat block idea sounds like a very poor idea that will just exacerbate conflicts.

I honestly don't understand this? If I want to block someone for any reason, why should the site prevent me from doing so? Why do I have to justify blocking someone, when they can block me at will?

As it is, if I'm having a conflict with someone and want no further contact with them, and they beat me to the punch on blocking, I have no recourse in the situation. I cannot protect myself from further contact with that user because the site gives me no way to block someone. Why is that acceptable?
[quote name="Dagomor" date="2019-02-05 07:13:47" ] No support, there are so many reasons why someone might block, and it might be temporary. Implementing something like this seems petty. They blocked you, you might have zero problems with them, and they just don't want to see your avatar dragon for some reason. Maybe they unblock you and see whatever it was has changed, and you still have them blocked and still had zero issues with them. Does the system auto-unblock them? This ***-for-tat block idea sounds like a very poor idea that will just exacerbate conflicts. [/quote] Jemadar and Illiobillium summed up my thoughts well on this entire matter, but I have a few key issues with this (response). If there are many reasons to block, then surely there are many reasons to return the favor. If I don't like how someone is acting or simply feel like, if someone blocks me, I shouldn't interact with them in the future because I feel bad for something I did (or what have you), then I should be able to block back. Blocking someone back doesn't have to be with malicious intent. Just because someone blocks you doesn't mean your interactions are over. If that user unblocks you and you don't like them, guess what? There's likely to be [b]more[/b] conflict afterward than there was the first time. I honestly don't think there are too many people here that would block for petty reasons even if it seems that way. All in all, this can actually reduce the chance of more conflicts in the future and won't really hurt. If the users have each other blocked, how do you expect them to create more conflict? What are they going to do? Angrily stare at each other and hope they unblock one another so they can start up yet another conflict? I'm sure someone would, but it's not worth most people's time. I see no reason not to have this suggestion, so support!
Dagomor wrote on 2019-02-05 07:13:47:
No support, there are so many reasons why someone might block, and it might be temporary. Implementing something like this seems petty. They blocked you, you might have zero problems with them, and they just don't want to see your avatar dragon for some reason.

Maybe they unblock you and see whatever it was has changed, and you still have them blocked and still had zero issues with them. Does the system auto-unblock them?

This ***-for-tat block idea sounds like a very poor idea that will just exacerbate conflicts.

Jemadar and Illiobillium summed up my thoughts well on this entire matter, but I have a few key issues with this (response).

If there are many reasons to block, then surely there are many reasons to return the favor. If I don't like how someone is acting or simply feel like, if someone blocks me, I shouldn't interact with them in the future because I feel bad for something I did (or what have you), then I should be able to block back. Blocking someone back doesn't have to be with malicious intent. Just because someone blocks you doesn't mean your interactions are over. If that user unblocks you and you don't like them, guess what? There's likely to be more conflict afterward than there was the first time.

I honestly don't think there are too many people here that would block for petty reasons even if it seems that way. All in all, this can actually reduce the chance of more conflicts in the future and won't really hurt. If the users have each other blocked, how do you expect them to create more conflict? What are they going to do? Angrily stare at each other and hope they unblock one another so they can start up yet another conflict? I'm sure someone would, but it's not worth most people's time.

I see no reason not to have this suggestion, so support!
[quote name="@Dagomor" date="2019-02-05 07:13:47" ] No support, there are so many reasons why someone might block, and it might be temporary. Implementing something like this seems petty. They blocked you, you might have zero problems with them, and they just don't want to see your avatar dragon for some reason. Maybe they unblock you and see whatever it was has changed, and you still have them blocked and still had zero issues with them. Does the system auto-unblock them? This ***-for-tat block idea sounds like a very poor idea that will just exacerbate conflicts. [/quote] A few years ago I had an interaction with another player, it was weird but I didn't have any further thought about it. However, for the other player it seems to have been a life-altering event because they seem to be swinging between sending me rather creepy messages about how nice my lair is and... editing previous messages and posting them on offsite chats to make me seem like a jerk who should be preemptively blocked. Needless to say, they have me blocked when it suits them and unblock when it doesn't. Explain to me how exactly I will be exacerbating this one-sided "conflict" by blocking them. Full support for the original suggestion; this hole in blocking should be fixed.
@Dagomor wrote on 2019-02-05 07:13:47:

A few years ago I had an interaction with another player, it was weird but I didn't have any further thought about it. However, for the other player it seems to have been a life-altering event because they seem to be swinging between sending me rather creepy messages about how nice my lair is and... editing previous messages and posting them on offsite chats to make me seem like a jerk who should be preemptively blocked. Needless to say, they have me blocked when it suits them and unblock when it doesn't.

Explain to me how exactly I will be exacerbating this one-sided "conflict" by blocking them.

Full support for the original suggestion; this hole in blocking should be fixed.
JQQ3Fjt.png
1 2 3 4