Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Dominance issue
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15
Let me start off by saying that it's definitely a great achievement for Earth to be in dom three times in a row and strong, and leading on the fourth on top of that.

However, I also think the dom mechanic in its whole needs revising. You know something's not working when one of the flights gets dom half the time and there are eleven flights total.

At this point I don't think consecutive dom weeks should be possible at all - regardless of how hard the pebbles work, it would be, you know, fun even for the smaller and less dom-oriented flights to get the bonuses every now and again.

EDIT: For those who don't know, here are the dominance mechanics!

EDIT 2: Okay, I've put together a concrete suggestion open to edits and improvements based on what I think could solve the problem.

(1) Do away with dom fatigue and introduce a mechanic called "dom cooldown". For example: a flight that has had dom on a certain week can't have dom again until another X weeks. If the dom cooldown was, say, 2 weeks, this would guarantee that no flight could possibly get more than 1/3 of the weeks in the entire year. And if Earth gets all 1/3 of the year of dom, then fine by me, personally.

(2) Guarantee dominance to the flight celebrating a festival during festival week. Yes, I know this already happens because every flight pushes before a festival and receives support, but that's the thing: most flights need OOF support to win! This means they have to run an OOF raffle and spend money on it. Conquest pushes aren't cheap; if at least the festival week was guaranteed:
(a) All flights would, effectively, have more resources to allot a different conquest push slot during a different time of the year (because they're saving what they'd otherwise spend on conquest pushing for their festival);
(b) Paired with my other suggestion, (1), this would still allow for possible double dom pushes exactly once a year per flight - each flight could (if they want to) push for dom the week before their festival, and if they won, they would also have festival week for dom by default.
^ This of course assumes that the "guaranteed festival week of dom" overrides dom cooldown, which I think should be a given.

(3) Optionally allow a free flight change to all users if the mechanics of dominance are indeed changed, and significantly, so that people who are in a given flight for dominance purposes can just move to another strong flight.

(4) If dominance mechanics do not change, then significantly increase fatigue; my personal idea is that it should be 50% or thereabouts, either linear (impossible to dom more than twice in a row) or incremental (50% fatigue, 75% fatigue, etc. so that indefinite dom is possible, but extremely hard).

Suggestions? Hit me with it!
Let me start off by saying that it's definitely a great achievement for Earth to be in dom three times in a row and strong, and leading on the fourth on top of that.

However, I also think the dom mechanic in its whole needs revising. You know something's not working when one of the flights gets dom half the time and there are eleven flights total.

At this point I don't think consecutive dom weeks should be possible at all - regardless of how hard the pebbles work, it would be, you know, fun even for the smaller and less dom-oriented flights to get the bonuses every now and again.

EDIT: For those who don't know, here are the dominance mechanics!

EDIT 2: Okay, I've put together a concrete suggestion open to edits and improvements based on what I think could solve the problem.

(1) Do away with dom fatigue and introduce a mechanic called "dom cooldown". For example: a flight that has had dom on a certain week can't have dom again until another X weeks. If the dom cooldown was, say, 2 weeks, this would guarantee that no flight could possibly get more than 1/3 of the weeks in the entire year. And if Earth gets all 1/3 of the year of dom, then fine by me, personally.

(2) Guarantee dominance to the flight celebrating a festival during festival week. Yes, I know this already happens because every flight pushes before a festival and receives support, but that's the thing: most flights need OOF support to win! This means they have to run an OOF raffle and spend money on it. Conquest pushes aren't cheap; if at least the festival week was guaranteed:
(a) All flights would, effectively, have more resources to allot a different conquest push slot during a different time of the year (because they're saving what they'd otherwise spend on conquest pushing for their festival);
(b) Paired with my other suggestion, (1), this would still allow for possible double dom pushes exactly once a year per flight - each flight could (if they want to) push for dom the week before their festival, and if they won, they would also have festival week for dom by default.
^ This of course assumes that the "guaranteed festival week of dom" overrides dom cooldown, which I think should be a given.

(3) Optionally allow a free flight change to all users if the mechanics of dominance are indeed changed, and significantly, so that people who are in a given flight for dominance purposes can just move to another strong flight.

(4) If dominance mechanics do not change, then significantly increase fatigue; my personal idea is that it should be 50% or thereabouts, either linear (impossible to dom more than twice in a row) or incremental (50% fatigue, 75% fatigue, etc. so that indefinite dom is possible, but extremely hard).

Suggestions? Hit me with it!
So you're willing to take away the hard earned rewards for people who do work hard for it, to give it to flights who apparently don't care as much about it?
So you're willing to take away the hard earned rewards for people who do work hard for it, to give it to flights who apparently don't care as much about it?
4bf33b0645140c0c5a95e9fe314ee4bb.gif
Congrats, you're the fourth person in the last 24 hours to post this thread.
Congrats, you're the fourth person in the last 24 hours to post this thread.
earthr.pngkpBHZdf.gifDQCsQbQ.gifearthshieldr.png
@Nanokarp
That's not at all what I said? All I said is that the mechanics of dom should change, because of how they work now and what they lead to. In addition, sometimes the flights you mention DO work hard for dom, but they can't make it because of their numbers.

@peachblossoms
I know there are a lot of posts. The other threads are all either congratulatory or talk about things other than suggesting a change in mechanics, so I felt that my prompt didn't belong in there.
@Nanokarp
That's not at all what I said? All I said is that the mechanics of dom should change, because of how they work now and what they lead to. In addition, sometimes the flights you mention DO work hard for dom, but they can't make it because of their numbers.

@peachblossoms
I know there are a lot of posts. The other threads are all either congratulatory or talk about things other than suggesting a change in mechanics, so I felt that my prompt didn't belong in there.
100% agreed. The dominance fatigue mechanism was implemented to prevent flights from being able to get multiple dominances by making it harder for them to do so.

It isn't a question about fairness or who is working hard, simply an objective observation that the system is failing.

Maybe the fact that many people have posted about this topic means that it is one that needs to be addressed. I hope FR staff will give their thoughts about this issue soon.
100% agreed. The dominance fatigue mechanism was implemented to prevent flights from being able to get multiple dominances by making it harder for them to do so.

It isn't a question about fairness or who is working hard, simply an objective observation that the system is failing.

Maybe the fact that many people have posted about this topic means that it is one that needs to be addressed. I hope FR staff will give their thoughts about this issue soon.
5zYeaji.png OfDGPyR.gif
Maybe this post would be better placed at the Suggestions forum then.
Maybe this post would be better placed at the Suggestions forum then.
4bf33b0645140c0c5a95e9fe314ee4bb.gif
@Nanokarp
Good idea actually! Any of the mods who see this, please move?

Also @Alohomora thanks for speaking up. Least I feel like I'm not the umpteenth member whining about "oh no Earth has dom again" :)
@Nanokarp
Good idea actually! Any of the mods who see this, please move?

Also @Alohomora thanks for speaking up. Least I feel like I'm not the umpteenth member whining about "oh no Earth has dom again" :)
Dom fatigue is a thing, if any of the other flights decide to conquest us this week chances are we in Earth will drop down from first.

The dom fatigue and in general mechanics were put in place due to one flight funnily enough taking dom all the time in the early days.
The ratio for dom allows the small flights like Fire and Earth to compete with the big flights like Wind, Arcane and Plague on a more equal scale.

I can understand that people find it unfair, but really start pushing and you'll beat Earth, possibly. Dom is teamwork, Dom is work. It is never handed on a platter and regardless of who the powerhouse is now they will get hate. Take it from one who's been in Plague, Light and now Earth.

And hey, if we manage quad dom, chances are staff just might look into the ratios and see if its working as intended™ or something needs to be done.
In the meantime, less whining more exalting you guys.
Dom fatigue is a thing, if any of the other flights decide to conquest us this week chances are we in Earth will drop down from first.

The dom fatigue and in general mechanics were put in place due to one flight funnily enough taking dom all the time in the early days.
The ratio for dom allows the small flights like Fire and Earth to compete with the big flights like Wind, Arcane and Plague on a more equal scale.

I can understand that people find it unfair, but really start pushing and you'll beat Earth, possibly. Dom is teamwork, Dom is work. It is never handed on a platter and regardless of who the powerhouse is now they will get hate. Take it from one who's been in Plague, Light and now Earth.

And hey, if we manage quad dom, chances are staff just might look into the ratios and see if its working as intended™ or something needs to be done.
In the meantime, less whining more exalting you guys.
>Fr+9
>You are a special speck of dust
>Hiring melters
>G1 Sales
#BLM #FreePalestine
>Always buying fodder adults 6g/6500t
>Denable hatchlings at 4g/4500t
>Know you are loved by someone
@Revius
I exalt daily and I know that lots of people in Light do. I *know* how dom fatigue works. Light is the second most dom-capable flight of the entire site and let me remind you, last December LvE resulted in a total victory for Earth, Light was NEVER IN THE FIRST PLACE during the entire WEEK. So no, what you say is not true - because even a jointed effort of the second most powerful dom flight couldn't beat Earth.

It's no longer about effort. Something needs changing in the mechanic of dom, otherwise this will keep happening indefinitely, and I don't think it's fair to expect that anyone who wants dom for more than just their own festival week will have to move to Earth.

P. S.: I don't hate Earth at all, for the record - the issue is not Earth as a flight, the issue is how dominance works. That has nothing to do with the people of Earth loving their own exalt money.
@Revius
I exalt daily and I know that lots of people in Light do. I *know* how dom fatigue works. Light is the second most dom-capable flight of the entire site and let me remind you, last December LvE resulted in a total victory for Earth, Light was NEVER IN THE FIRST PLACE during the entire WEEK. So no, what you say is not true - because even a jointed effort of the second most powerful dom flight couldn't beat Earth.

It's no longer about effort. Something needs changing in the mechanic of dom, otherwise this will keep happening indefinitely, and I don't think it's fair to expect that anyone who wants dom for more than just their own festival week will have to move to Earth.

P. S.: I don't hate Earth at all, for the record - the issue is not Earth as a flight, the issue is how dominance works. That has nothing to do with the people of Earth loving their own exalt money.
It's kinda sad that every criticism of the dom system is being shot down and people being called salty when they're unsatisfied with how things are working. I'd rather have an honest community with level-headed arguments than one where nobody is allowed to voice an opinion that's different from the overall "we need to be nice uwu" attitude people seem to have. [quote name="SilverQuark" date="2018-12-09 03:12:39" ] P. S.: I don't hate Earth at all, for the record - the issue is not Earth as a flight, the issue is how dominance works. That has nothing to do with the people of Earth loving their own exalt money. [/quote] Exactly this.
It's kinda sad that every criticism of the dom system is being shot down and people being called salty when they're unsatisfied with how things are working. I'd rather have an honest community with level-headed arguments than one where nobody is allowed to voice an opinion that's different from the overall "we need to be nice uwu" attitude people seem to have.

SilverQuark wrote on 2018-12-09 03:12:39:

Exactly this.
Poinsettia-Badge.png JdFxwc2.png
dEe2UrM.png
FObX7rS.png
WAWs3m5.png
5hF3FGk.png
Ds8dRm5.png Poinsettia-Badge.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15