Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Simple Natural Tertiary Genes
1 2 3 4 5
So having just welcomed some new furry friends into my household, I realized it'd be nice to have genes available on FR similar to patterns naturally found on many animals. Not only so people can re-create their pets in FR, as that's a common theme, but just to be able to have more "natural" looking terts in general. I think it can be easily agreed upon that much of the unhappiness from all the recent genes comes from how busy and unnatural they look. It's be nice to have more simple options, and ones that look like natural markings. I've found it strange, in particular, how all the terts we've been getting recently have been very unnatural, whilst the prims/secs have looked for more natural! Just compare lion/noi to filigree, both released in the same year. One of the arguments against simple genes is that of course, it's not to everyone's tastes and thus it's a disappointment to wait a few months for a new tert and get something that looks basic. We've seen this with Contour, Stained and many others. That's why all of these would be smaller simple genes that could be released quickly. I'm working on examples right now, and it's taken me ~5 minutes to create a decent example on one base for my first marking suggestion. Easy and quick to make. It's nice to get complex terts! Some people really enjoy that, my absolute favourite tert is Capsule which is far from simple OR natural. However it'd be nice to see more simplistic natural genes that could be released in the gaps [b]between the waits[/b] for these more busy and complex genes. They wouldn't take up much time, and would give users natural simple options for their dragons. [img]https://i.imgur.com/c6GFsDI.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/c2G2Zog.png[/img] At the moment I'm working on an example called "hooded", based off of a marking found on rats. It's a simple two-toned marking that covers the head and travels in a line down the spine, with a few spots next to the bulk of it. There are many other terts that could be created based off of natural markings too! -Siamese, or something similar to Points, a gradient that covers the extremities. -Dapple, a collection of soft spots on the rump and shoulders -Dalmation, similar to dapple but covering more of the dragon -Edging, a line that creates a "fraying" look on the edge of a dragon's wing That's just a few of my ideas. Most of these would only use 1-2 hues, perhaps 2 to keep the gene from looking too flat. If you have any other ideas for potential markings feel free to suggest them! I might try and create some examples based off of it! Here are examples I've completed so far. Each links to an album, so this post doesn't become cluttered with images. -[url=https://imgur.com/a/my47pWu]Hooded[/url] -[url=https://imgur.com/a/xq3bJgG]Siamese[/url] -[url=https://imgur.com/a/BppSjMg]Blaze[/url] (another plentiful gene with the same chances as Basic, suggested by Jemadar) Also, if you at any point create your own mockup for a simple, naturally-inspired tert gene please share it! I'd love for this to be a masterpost of all natural marking tert genes people have come up with.
So having just welcomed some new furry friends into my household, I realized it'd be nice to have genes available on FR similar to patterns naturally found on many animals. Not only so people can re-create their pets in FR, as that's a common theme, but just to be able to have more "natural" looking terts in general.

I think it can be easily agreed upon that much of the unhappiness from all the recent genes comes from how busy and unnatural they look. It's be nice to have more simple options, and ones that look like natural markings. I've found it strange, in particular, how all the terts we've been getting recently have been very unnatural, whilst the prims/secs have looked for more natural! Just compare lion/noi to filigree, both released in the same year.

One of the arguments against simple genes is that of course, it's not to everyone's tastes and thus it's a disappointment to wait a few months for a new tert and get something that looks basic. We've seen this with Contour, Stained and many others. That's why all of these would be smaller simple genes that could be released quickly. I'm working on examples right now, and it's taken me ~5 minutes to create a decent example on one base for my first marking suggestion. Easy and quick to make.

It's nice to get complex terts! Some people really enjoy that, my absolute favourite tert is Capsule which is far from simple OR natural. However it'd be nice to see more simplistic natural genes that could be released in the gaps between the waits for these more busy and complex genes. They wouldn't take up much time, and would give users natural simple options for their dragons.
c6GFsDI.png
c2G2Zog.png
At the moment I'm working on an example called "hooded", based off of a marking found on rats. It's a simple two-toned marking that covers the head and travels in a line down the spine, with a few spots next to the bulk of it. There are many other terts that could be created based off of natural markings too!
-Siamese, or something similar to Points, a gradient that covers the extremities.
-Dapple, a collection of soft spots on the rump and shoulders
-Dalmation, similar to dapple but covering more of the dragon
-Edging, a line that creates a "fraying" look on the edge of a dragon's wing

That's just a few of my ideas. Most of these would only use 1-2 hues, perhaps 2 to keep the gene from looking too flat. If you have any other ideas for potential markings feel free to suggest them! I might try and create some examples based off of it!

Here are examples I've completed so far. Each links to an album, so this post doesn't become cluttered with images.
-Hooded
-Siamese
-Blaze (another plentiful gene with the same chances as Basic, suggested by Jemadar)

Also, if you at any point create your own mockup for a simple, naturally-inspired tert gene please share it! I'd love for this to be a masterpost of all natural marking tert genes people have come up with.
LogoL.png - Skin Shop

- Hatchery

- Wild Dog Subspecies
My problem with "busy prim+sec" and "busy terts" is that they don't match - either the newer primaries and secondaries have very few terts that do not cover them or the new terts have to be on Iridescent/Shimmer/Metallic/Alloy as not to get lost (especially since nearly all of them affect the head), so I support more simple terts. Alternatively, some newer terts could be perfect if a simple rule that sometimes "less is better" was remembered in time...

As for suggestion, how about Splatters, a counterpart to Paint/Piebald? Just not covering the entire dragon, just a bit of color (or color with white) splatters here and there.
My problem with "busy prim+sec" and "busy terts" is that they don't match - either the newer primaries and secondaries have very few terts that do not cover them or the new terts have to be on Iridescent/Shimmer/Metallic/Alloy as not to get lost (especially since nearly all of them affect the head), so I support more simple terts. Alternatively, some newer terts could be perfect if a simple rule that sometimes "less is better" was remembered in time...

As for suggestion, how about Splatters, a counterpart to Paint/Piebald? Just not covering the entire dragon, just a bit of color (or color with white) splatters here and there.
JQQ3Fjt.png
I have long wanted tertiaries that not only compliment previous prim/sec genes but also that are more based upon animal patterns.

For instance, the tert to piebald/paint could help create 'calico' cats by adding splashes of the tertiary color.

For those who don't like the striped prim/secondaries, they could have a 'tabby' patterning that doesn't have any gradient (like thylacine does) but just adds tabbyesque stripes to the dragon in the tert color. Good for NON busy prim/secondaries.

Spots like Dalmations have would also be a good simple tert, or blanket appaloosa spots (add a splash of white with the tert color as spots, or a splash of the tert color with either white spots or the primary color showing through) Maybe a smattering of spots elsewhere. (it doesn't even have to be on the rump, but could be on the wings, extending down towards the tips, and onto the shoulders of the dragons, or anywhere they felt was good)

There are many other examples that can be found in the natural world, doesn't even have to be animal based.

I, personally, would love it if we started getting more terts. While Primaries and secondaries are nice, to me, a tert can make or break a design. So, having more to work with is a great thing.
I have long wanted tertiaries that not only compliment previous prim/sec genes but also that are more based upon animal patterns.

For instance, the tert to piebald/paint could help create 'calico' cats by adding splashes of the tertiary color.

For those who don't like the striped prim/secondaries, they could have a 'tabby' patterning that doesn't have any gradient (like thylacine does) but just adds tabbyesque stripes to the dragon in the tert color. Good for NON busy prim/secondaries.

Spots like Dalmations have would also be a good simple tert, or blanket appaloosa spots (add a splash of white with the tert color as spots, or a splash of the tert color with either white spots or the primary color showing through) Maybe a smattering of spots elsewhere. (it doesn't even have to be on the rump, but could be on the wings, extending down towards the tips, and onto the shoulders of the dragons, or anywhere they felt was good)

There are many other examples that can be found in the natural world, doesn't even have to be animal based.

I, personally, would love it if we started getting more terts. While Primaries and secondaries are nice, to me, a tert can make or break a design. So, having more to work with is a great thing.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
I will always support variety on genes, so I'd love to see more simple tertiary... As long as they're not on the belly. Capsule/Underbelly/Glimmer are good "simple" genes, but they cover the belly, which is a shame because a lot of Primary genes have super nice markings on the belly. I basically never want to use Capsule/Unberbelly/Glimmer because of that. So yeah, something like that Hooded gene you proposed would be amazing, offer some variety.
I will always support variety on genes, so I'd love to see more simple tertiary... As long as they're not on the belly. Capsule/Underbelly/Glimmer are good "simple" genes, but they cover the belly, which is a shame because a lot of Primary genes have super nice markings on the belly. I basically never want to use Capsule/Unberbelly/Glimmer because of that. So yeah, something like that Hooded gene you proposed would be amazing, offer some variety.
tumblr_inline_pawby3qPs91rbjkvp_540.png
Support. Most of the terts now are really busy & don't play well with the busy primaries/secondaries, and more natural terts would be great for those who want more natural-looking dragons.

Some suggestions-

Socks.
A blaze running down a dragon's face.
Disruptive markings, like a tert version of Pie/Paint, an orca's markings, barring like on certain types of fish, etc.
Bioluminescent markings.
Iridescence, like the rainbow snake/eel moccasin.
A gene that colours horns/frills/spikes/claws.
Support. Most of the terts now are really busy & don't play well with the busy primaries/secondaries, and more natural terts would be great for those who want more natural-looking dragons.

Some suggestions-

Socks.
A blaze running down a dragon's face.
Disruptive markings, like a tert version of Pie/Paint, an orca's markings, barring like on certain types of fish, etc.
Bioluminescent markings.
Iridescence, like the rainbow snake/eel moccasin.
A gene that colours horns/frills/spikes/claws.
Support. The more genes the better imo. If a player doesn't like them they can ignore them firefly... .
I would love a tert that applies a mask of color around the eyes, then on the limbs and tail, like ferrets! There's no good way to make a ferret-dragon currently.
Support. The more genes the better imo. If a player doesn't like them they can ignore them firefly... .
I would love a tert that applies a mask of color around the eyes, then on the limbs and tail, like ferrets! There's no good way to make a ferret-dragon currently.
Nobody wants to tell you why discipline is so important. Discipline is the strongest form of self-love. It is ignoring current pleasures for bigger rewards to come. It's loving yourself enough to give yourself everything you've ever wanted.
Oh, I love this. Total support. More natural or not-covering-up-too-much terts would be amazing. Or really just more terts. Like LaskaEira said, the more genes the better.
Oh, I love this. Total support. More natural or not-covering-up-too-much terts would be amazing. Or really just more terts. Like LaskaEira said, the more genes the better.

t

t
system (plural) 1 hour ahead of FR time
gear system • he/it collectively
resident roblox nerds & goobers
we hoard collect third wheels
art shop art dump
hello everybody
my name is Markiplier
and welcome to
five nights at freddy's
So much support! Your mockup is wonderful, and Ive long wanted more natural terts that cover less of the body, or only a certain part.
So much support! Your mockup is wonderful, and Ive long wanted more natural terts that cover less of the body, or only a certain part.
#UnnamedIsValid
Unnamed dragons need love too! There is no shame in having unnamed permas, having dragons with unnamed parents and/or offspring, or exalting unnamed dragons! Leaving dragons unnamed is a perfectly valid playstyle!

she/her or they/them
support! I love petals/butterfly, but I can't find a tertiary that compliments it well without covering the stomach
support! I love petals/butterfly, but I can't find a tertiary that compliments it well without covering the stomach
qruiRvb.png
I'd love more natural, less busy terts based on real animals. Perhaps some spines variations could be released, perhaps one resembling those of a lionfish to compliment the new genes
I'd love more natural, less busy terts based on real animals. Perhaps some spines variations could be released, perhaps one resembling those of a lionfish to compliment the new genes
zorua.gif He/they/it/xe ani_bw-S_487-origin.gif
1 2 3 4 5