Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | I still want the old eyes back
1 2 3 4 5 6
Big support, especially for what Nin said. And if this legacy vial does get released, it'd best be affordable :| I'm still so mad I'd have to pay to have an old look back for my dragons, but it's better than having no option at all.
Big support, especially for what Nin said. And if this legacy vial does get released, it'd best be affordable :| I'm still so mad I'd have to pay to have an old look back for my dragons, but it's better than having no option at all.
The Fortress of Ice - Rollocke

tumblr_inline_nzqu0njNXM1tgh8q0_400.png

dottore... DOTTORE!!!
We ALL want the old eyes back. There are SO many problems and mistakes with the new ones, not to mention they look terrible.

Light eyes’ aesthetic has been completely destroyed, for God’s sake. So has Shadow’s, and Wind’s. It’s like they’re forgetting what the flights are all about.

I’m not going to be quiet about this until it is fixed. I hope no one else is either. This isn’t one of those things that people are just going to get used to, because it’s literally a downgrade from what it used to be.
And about how they updated the eyes to correct “inconsistencies?”
Yeah. BS. There are more “inconsistencies” with them now than there ever were before.
We ALL want the old eyes back. There are SO many problems and mistakes with the new ones, not to mention they look terrible.

Light eyes’ aesthetic has been completely destroyed, for God’s sake. So has Shadow’s, and Wind’s. It’s like they’re forgetting what the flights are all about.

I’m not going to be quiet about this until it is fixed. I hope no one else is either. This isn’t one of those things that people are just going to get used to, because it’s literally a downgrade from what it used to be.
Yeah. BS. There are more “inconsistencies” with them now than there ever were before.
Salt
@Alight - I'm not going to be quiet about it, either! I really don't like my Guardians' flat little beady eyes, my PCs' loss of pupils and sudden coloured sclera, or the sudden colour changes. ;__;

I think the eye colours were also updated so that the variants would "stand out" more (ie. Light Unusual's paleness vs. old Light), but... If people noticed a difference in the Common eyes changing, I'm certain that they would also notice differences between the old Common and the new variants!

And in an event focused on adding new eye types, there was honestly no need to change the old eyes. Like, there is objectively no valid reason to do that; nobody would've complained if Common had stayed the same. Users wouldn't have been like "But my Common eyes are so ugly now! I wish they changed them!" when... nobody had ever complained about "inconsistencies", and we got items and hatch chances for new eye colours for people who want them.

And, yeah, "consistency" falls apart pretty fast when you realize that Common eyes still aren't matching shades (see: Plague Common male Noc vs. Plague Common female PC), and the fact that male Coatls have super detailed eyes while every other adult dragon lost all detail. :'u

It's so confusing.
@Alight - I'm not going to be quiet about it, either! I really don't like my Guardians' flat little beady eyes, my PCs' loss of pupils and sudden coloured sclera, or the sudden colour changes. ;__;

I think the eye colours were also updated so that the variants would "stand out" more (ie. Light Unusual's paleness vs. old Light), but... If people noticed a difference in the Common eyes changing, I'm certain that they would also notice differences between the old Common and the new variants!

And in an event focused on adding new eye types, there was honestly no need to change the old eyes. Like, there is objectively no valid reason to do that; nobody would've complained if Common had stayed the same. Users wouldn't have been like "But my Common eyes are so ugly now! I wish they changed them!" when... nobody had ever complained about "inconsistencies", and we got items and hatch chances for new eye colours for people who want them.

And, yeah, "consistency" falls apart pretty fast when you realize that Common eyes still aren't matching shades (see: Plague Common male Noc vs. Plague Common female PC), and the fact that male Coatls have super detailed eyes while every other adult dragon lost all detail. :'u

It's so confusing.
PB-logo-transparent1.png gem.png Ashes | F
gem.png +4h FR time
gem.png Feel free to ping me!
@Ningyo

EXACTLY! And, honestly, the little inconsistencies (if you could even call them that) with the old eyes kind of made them feel more unique, like how the male Coatl’s Ice eyes were almost pure white, and really pretty imo.

If it weren’t for my flight’s great community, I would’ve switched out to Nature or something just to avoid the new lemon-y colours we have been cursed with.
They are supposed to be GOLD. Last time I checked, the sun wasn’t bloody citrus. and don’t get me started on our primals.

Looking at pictures of my dragons’ old eyes is enough to make we want to cry because they just look so ugly now.
Not to mention that now there are legitimate art errors. Like on some eyes the colour gradients are reversed. I know it’s really noticeable with Plague.

I just feel like this whole update was super rushed, and now they’re having to backtrack because the whole site is (rightfully) infuriated.
@Ningyo

EXACTLY! And, honestly, the little inconsistencies (if you could even call them that) with the old eyes kind of made them feel more unique, like how the male Coatl’s Ice eyes were almost pure white, and really pretty imo.

If it weren’t for my flight’s great community, I would’ve switched out to Nature or something just to avoid the new lemon-y colours we have been cursed with.
They are supposed to be GOLD. Last time I checked, the sun wasn’t bloody citrus. and don’t get me started on our primals.

Looking at pictures of my dragons’ old eyes is enough to make we want to cry because they just look so ugly now.
Not to mention that now there are legitimate art errors. Like on some eyes the colour gradients are reversed. I know it’s really noticeable with Plague.

I just feel like this whole update was super rushed, and now they’re having to backtrack because the whole site is (rightfully) infuriated.
Salt
@Alight - Yeah!! Nobody cared about the inconsistencies-- even years before the update, I saw tons of people talking about how much they loved how their dragon's eyes matched their genes. A big part of the reason why Ice was so popular was because of their white eyes on nearly every breed, and now... they're blue, even though every new Ice option is blue anyway. Like, the new colours would actually stand out more if they left the Common eyes white/whitish like they used to be!

People got very angry about Seafoam and co. changing, but at least "We have a billion colours and genes, so doing them all manually just isn't feasible" makes sense, though I still have no foggy clue why "Guardian females with Ripple/Current" was chosen as the standard for shading when every other breed, gender, gene, and age had the softer shading. :/

But I digress. There are only 11 Flights and 8 eye types, vs. over 100 colour wheel colours and dozens of genes. Eyes didn't need to be automated (assuming they are now), and "updating" the art to a lesser quality (lineart/shading-wise) doesn't make sense???

I spent real money on Gem genes for my G1s, and I've had most of them for at least a year, usually more. Now they're just... off. Without warning. After I put real cash (and I'm Canadian, so the exchange rate costs extra) and hours of work into my dragons to get them to look "just right". :(

It is nice that they acknowledged that they forgot to announce the change, but "Sorry, we changed it for a completely unnecessary and arbitrary reason" doesn't make me feel any better... My dragons are still messed up regardless, and we didn't even get a heads-up before the event. ;__;

The update does seem very rushed to me, especially with all of the mistakes and how halfhearted the Common update and Multi-Gaze feel. I know it's an exciting new feature, and I'm sure they wanted to do something big and exciting for their 5th anniversary... But I wish they'd released the new familiar, some special apparel, or lair tabs first, and made it a "New eye types coming soon!" thing. A game-changing event that rocks the foundation of the site isn't something that can just be hammered out and tossed into action right away!

Getting new content out is important, but a little extra planning and TLC would've allowed them to polish it all up more before releasing it and having to go "Oh jeez, we messed up, time to fix it". Not to mention the backlash... I haven't seen the FR community that angry before, and I've been on the forums regularly for 5 years!
@Alight - Yeah!! Nobody cared about the inconsistencies-- even years before the update, I saw tons of people talking about how much they loved how their dragon's eyes matched their genes. A big part of the reason why Ice was so popular was because of their white eyes on nearly every breed, and now... they're blue, even though every new Ice option is blue anyway. Like, the new colours would actually stand out more if they left the Common eyes white/whitish like they used to be!

People got very angry about Seafoam and co. changing, but at least "We have a billion colours and genes, so doing them all manually just isn't feasible" makes sense, though I still have no foggy clue why "Guardian females with Ripple/Current" was chosen as the standard for shading when every other breed, gender, gene, and age had the softer shading. :/

But I digress. There are only 11 Flights and 8 eye types, vs. over 100 colour wheel colours and dozens of genes. Eyes didn't need to be automated (assuming they are now), and "updating" the art to a lesser quality (lineart/shading-wise) doesn't make sense???

I spent real money on Gem genes for my G1s, and I've had most of them for at least a year, usually more. Now they're just... off. Without warning. After I put real cash (and I'm Canadian, so the exchange rate costs extra) and hours of work into my dragons to get them to look "just right". :(

It is nice that they acknowledged that they forgot to announce the change, but "Sorry, we changed it for a completely unnecessary and arbitrary reason" doesn't make me feel any better... My dragons are still messed up regardless, and we didn't even get a heads-up before the event. ;__;

The update does seem very rushed to me, especially with all of the mistakes and how halfhearted the Common update and Multi-Gaze feel. I know it's an exciting new feature, and I'm sure they wanted to do something big and exciting for their 5th anniversary... But I wish they'd released the new familiar, some special apparel, or lair tabs first, and made it a "New eye types coming soon!" thing. A game-changing event that rocks the foundation of the site isn't something that can just be hammered out and tossed into action right away!

Getting new content out is important, but a little extra planning and TLC would've allowed them to polish it all up more before releasing it and having to go "Oh jeez, we messed up, time to fix it". Not to mention the backlash... I haven't seen the FR community that angry before, and I've been on the forums regularly for 5 years!
gem.png +4h FR time
@Ningyo

You hit the nail on the head. And I’m Canadian too, so I know the feeling. :(
I’m not wasting any more money on FR until they start hearing what we need. And they WILL restore the old eyes, if they know what’s good for the site.

A couple of folks were saying that we’re making too big of a deal about such a subtle change, but it’s honestly the only way to get their attention. We HAVE to make a big deal about it if we want anything to be done.
Besides, the change isn’t quite so “subtle” when you’ve invested real hours and money, only to have them ripped out under your feet.
@Ningyo

You hit the nail on the head. And I’m Canadian too, so I know the feeling. :(
I’m not wasting any more money on FR until they start hearing what we need. And they WILL restore the old eyes, if they know what’s good for the site.

A couple of folks were saying that we’re making too big of a deal about such a subtle change, but it’s honestly the only way to get their attention. We HAVE to make a big deal about it if we want anything to be done.
Besides, the change isn’t quite so “subtle” when you’ve invested real hours and money, only to have them ripped out under your feet.
Salt
[quote name="Alight" date="2018-06-20 06:45:49" ] We ALL want the old eyes back. There are SO many problems and mistakes with the new ones, not to mention they look terrible. Light eyes’ aesthetic has been completely destroyed, for God’s sake. So has Shadow’s, and Wind’s. It’s like they’re forgetting what the flights are all about. I’m not going to be quiet about this until it is fixed. I hope no one else is either. This isn’t one of those things that people are just going to get used to, because it’s literally a downgrade from what it used to be. And about how they updated the eyes to correct “inconsistencies?” Yeah. BS. There are more “inconsistencies” with them now than there ever were before. [/quote] "They look terrible" is err, pretty darned subjective... I agree legacy vial would be cool but tbh. They've grown on me I personally love the variety.
Alight wrote on 2018-06-20 06:45:49:

"They look terrible" is err, pretty darned subjective...

I agree legacy vial would be cool but tbh. They've grown on me I personally love the variety.
@Alight - I've never understood the "It's a tiny change, you can't even see the eyes on dragons that aren't Spirals, stop being upset" thing. Different people have different levels of colour perception and attention to detail. A change that's "unnoticeable" to one person can be obvious to the next. Like, what do you expect me to do, get myself new eyes that have worse colour/detail perception??? I can't just not notice something that's so glaring to me. D:

Plus eyes are absolutely noticeable to a massive amount of users; that's why people build breeding pairs with matching eyes or join/switch to Flights with eyes they like. That's why, say, brown dragons with Arcane or Shadow eyes don't sell as well as brown dragons with Earth or Light eyes-- they tend to clash. Besides, if "you can't even see the eyes", why would staff have given us more eye types? :p No sense in creating a big new feature if nobody will notice.

I agree that making noise is a good idea! My dad always says "the squeaky wheel gets the grease", so I am hopeful that staff will implement Legacy eyes in the future. Yes, we'd have to pay to fix a change we didn't ask for, and that sucks-- but if it's "Spend 10kT on a vial" or "Be stuck with ugly new Common forever", I'd happily shell out tons of dragon cash to restore my lair. ;__;

I sent in a second ticket with some default eye suggestions a couple of days ago, and just got a response today. The same "We've received a huge amount of feedback about both & are working to review it as quickly (but thoroughly!) as we can" I got last time, but hey, at least I know they read it!

They can't comment directly on suggestions (so they won't create false security/misinformation- understandable), but I would be thrilled if they are actually going to listen to this feedback. Legacy vials would be such a simple little gesture with no negative impact (unlike the tricky process of Primal vials/unretiring vials/etc.), and they would make so many users happy. ;;

I'm probably not going to buy any Gems until something gets rectified, either. Paying a company that just threw off my 5 years of hard work and real money without warning or a valid reason is... not something I'm personally comfortable with. I know they didn't do it out of spite, but it still hurt a lot of users, myself included.
@Alight - I've never understood the "It's a tiny change, you can't even see the eyes on dragons that aren't Spirals, stop being upset" thing. Different people have different levels of colour perception and attention to detail. A change that's "unnoticeable" to one person can be obvious to the next. Like, what do you expect me to do, get myself new eyes that have worse colour/detail perception??? I can't just not notice something that's so glaring to me. D:

Plus eyes are absolutely noticeable to a massive amount of users; that's why people build breeding pairs with matching eyes or join/switch to Flights with eyes they like. That's why, say, brown dragons with Arcane or Shadow eyes don't sell as well as brown dragons with Earth or Light eyes-- they tend to clash. Besides, if "you can't even see the eyes", why would staff have given us more eye types? :p No sense in creating a big new feature if nobody will notice.

I agree that making noise is a good idea! My dad always says "the squeaky wheel gets the grease", so I am hopeful that staff will implement Legacy eyes in the future. Yes, we'd have to pay to fix a change we didn't ask for, and that sucks-- but if it's "Spend 10kT on a vial" or "Be stuck with ugly new Common forever", I'd happily shell out tons of dragon cash to restore my lair. ;__;

I sent in a second ticket with some default eye suggestions a couple of days ago, and just got a response today. The same "We've received a huge amount of feedback about both & are working to review it as quickly (but thoroughly!) as we can" I got last time, but hey, at least I know they read it!

They can't comment directly on suggestions (so they won't create false security/misinformation- understandable), but I would be thrilled if they are actually going to listen to this feedback. Legacy vials would be such a simple little gesture with no negative impact (unlike the tricky process of Primal vials/unretiring vials/etc.), and they would make so many users happy. ;;

I'm probably not going to buy any Gems until something gets rectified, either. Paying a company that just threw off my 5 years of hard work and real money without warning or a valid reason is... not something I'm personally comfortable with. I know they didn't do it out of spite, but it still hurt a lot of users, myself included.
gem.png +4h FR time
[quote name="@Ningyo" date="2018-06-20 13:10:06" ] Plus eyes are absolutely noticeable to a massive amount of users; that's why people build breeding pairs with matching eyes or join/switch to Flights with eyes they like. That's why, say, brown dragons with Arcane or Shadow eyes don't sell as well as brown dragons with Earth or Light eyes-- they tend to clash. Besides, if "you can't even see the eyes", why would staff have given us more eye types? :p No sense in creating a big new feature if nobody will notice. [/quote]Both excellent points. It's also why nest rentals are so popular, despite dragon lending being a non-supported activity that risks you losing your pairs entirely. [quote name="@erikafurudo" date="2018-06-20 12:40:39" ] They've grown on me I personally love the variety. [/quote]Variety is wonderful! I've got a couple of dragons who look better with common than legacy, and a couple who will look better than ever once I scatter them to a different tint. That's why the anniversary event [b]would have[/b] made me so absolutely, unreservedly happy... if some of my other dragons didn't now look weird at best, expressionless at worse, with none of the possible tints able to fix them. Legacy can, [b]and should[/b], be part of the variety. If you like the change, or didn't notice it, you never need to use the legacy vials. It would require no new artwork, no new coding work, and would upset no one. Unlike the debate on unretiring scatterscrolls, where at this point there really are no resolutions that won't make someone angry, this has a fix with no downside. (Unless you count 'but then those dragons won't be [i]standardized[/i]!', and I'm sorry, the existence of primal/etc eyes makes an absolute mockery of that argument.)
@Ningyo wrote on 2018-06-20 13:10:06:
Both excellent points. It's also why nest rentals are so popular, despite dragon lending being a non-supported activity that risks you losing your pairs entirely.

@erikafurudo wrote on 2018-06-20 12:40:39:
They've grown on me I personally love the variety.
Variety is wonderful! I've got a couple of dragons who look better with common than legacy, and a couple who will look better than ever once I scatter them to a different tint. That's why the anniversary event would have made me so absolutely, unreservedly happy...

if some of my other dragons didn't now look weird at best, expressionless at worse, with none of the possible tints able to fix them.

Legacy can, and should, be part of the variety. If you like the change, or didn't notice it, you never need to use the legacy vials. It would require no new artwork, no new coding work, and would upset no one. Unlike the debate on unretiring scatterscrolls, where at this point there really are no resolutions that won't make someone angry, this has a fix with no downside.

(Unless you count 'but then those dragons won't be standardized!', and I'm sorry, the existence of primal/etc eyes makes an absolute mockery of that argument.)
Y2CN2aK.png wc26tNn.png
[quote name="erikafurudo" date="2018-06-20 12:40:39" ] I agree legacy vial would be cool but tbh. They've grown on me I personally love the variety. [/quote] The new variety is great; I enjoy it! I'm just upset that the variety [b]replaced[/b] the original eyes that so many users bought, bred, and gened dragons for, and that so many people chose their Flights for. :( There was really no need to nuke the old eyes to bring in new ones; nobody would've been mad if the old Common eyes stayed the same. Staff said it was for "standardization", but since eye colours still vary drastically between breeds, and all adult dragons except male Coatls had their lineart and shading almost erased, that reasoning doesn't really hold any water... I think we should keep the new eye types, but also bring in Legacy eyes for those who want them. More variety = more customization options, and that was the point of the update! And with a Legacy vial/option, users who like the new Common eyes and want to keep them can still do so-- it's just there for people who were negatively affected by the change. I know I personally would have 0 issues with this update if my dragons could still have their original eyes. I don't care if I have a 0.42% chance of hatching a Primal G1; I just want my pixel critters to look the way they had for the last 5 years. ;__;
erikafurudo wrote on 2018-06-20 12:40:39:
I agree legacy vial would be cool but tbh. They've grown on me I personally love the variety.

The new variety is great; I enjoy it! I'm just upset that the variety replaced the original eyes that so many users bought, bred, and gened dragons for, and that so many people chose their Flights for. :( There was really no need to nuke the old eyes to bring in new ones; nobody would've been mad if the old Common eyes stayed the same.

Staff said it was for "standardization", but since eye colours still vary drastically between breeds, and all adult dragons except male Coatls had their lineart and shading almost erased, that reasoning doesn't really hold any water...

I think we should keep the new eye types, but also bring in Legacy eyes for those who want them. More variety = more customization options, and that was the point of the update! And with a Legacy vial/option, users who like the new Common eyes and want to keep them can still do so-- it's just there for people who were negatively affected by the change.

I know I personally would have 0 issues with this update if my dragons could still have their original eyes. I don't care if I have a 0.42% chance of hatching a Primal G1; I just want my pixel critters to look the way they had for the last 5 years. ;__;
gem.png +4h FR time
1 2 3 4 5 6