Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | I still want the old eyes back
1 2 3 4 5 6
Basically, I don't have the best eyesight out there. Even with a hefty prescription, it's not perfect. I used to love how easy it was to see the pupils in my dragons' eyes. Now they just look like tiny orange tic tacs. Is there any way we can have the old flat eyes back? I've tried to give this a fair shot and I just am so disappointed looking at my lair now.
Basically, I don't have the best eyesight out there. Even with a hefty prescription, it's not perfect. I used to love how easy it was to see the pupils in my dragons' eyes. Now they just look like tiny orange tic tacs. Is there any way we can have the old flat eyes back? I've tried to give this a fair shot and I just am so disappointed looking at my lair now.
I still want them back, too. :( I really miss the old Common eyes. The new ones look nice on a couple of my dragons (Biwa looks good with Light's new bright eyes), but most of them just look... wrong.

They either have no pupils, iris lineart, or shading anymore, or those things are incredibly faint. The only exceptions are Coatl males, who have super detailed glassy eyes now, and Skydancer females, whose eyes are even smaller than they used to be!

My Tundras and PCs have coloured sclera that just doesn't look right when they had white sclera for years- since the site began- and they lost so much character. Fire, Wind, and Light eyes are yellower than they used to be, Ice eyes are now blue on all breeds, and Plague and Shadow are both darker without any way to get the old bright red back.

Tons of users, myself included, chose their Flights specifically because they thought the old Common eyes were pretty. I moved from Fire to Light for the eyes, vacationed in Earth, and returned to Light because the pale gold eyes were so gorgeous and matched my breeding pairs. Now? They're terribly bright and lemony. ;__;

I suggest either:

1) Change the default "Common" eyes back to the originals, and add the new Common as a common hatch chance ("Semi-common"?). Perhaps also put it in the Scattersight pool as well? This would restore the old eyes (and lineart!!) for the 40 million dragons who had them while allowing players to still access the new Common eyes.

or

2) Introduce a "Vial of Old Sight" (or legacy/classic/basic) that allows users to manually change their dragons' eyes back to the old versions. I think a cheap (10kT-25kT) Treasure MP item would be the best way to go for this, kinda like the Remove Gene scrolls. That way, people who like the new Common eyes (seem few and far between, frankly) can keep them, and people who like the old eyes can still access them.

People paid money- sometimes real money- on their dragons. People grew attached to the way their dragons looked. People designed breeding projects and their favorite dragons around their old eye colours. As an artist, I totally get wanting to update your old art, but suddenly taking the old eyes that thousands of users enjoyed away in the name of "consistency" without warning or ability to change back just... doesn't feel good. :(

Sure, it's "just a few pixels"-- but I have never once in my 5 years bought a dragon whose eyes I didn't like. Those "few pixels" make or break a dragon for me, and I know I'm not alone.

At the very, very least, I want them to fix the lineart and shading for dragons' eyes, and bring back white sclera for Common-eyed Tundras and PCs. I wouldn't call turning dragons' eyes into blurry smudges of bright colour an "update"-- that's a definite decrease in the overall quality of the art, which used to be nice and crisp. D:

Getting an option to get the old eyes back on my dragons would solve 100% of my upset over the 5th anniversary event.
I still want them back, too. :( I really miss the old Common eyes. The new ones look nice on a couple of my dragons (Biwa looks good with Light's new bright eyes), but most of them just look... wrong.

They either have no pupils, iris lineart, or shading anymore, or those things are incredibly faint. The only exceptions are Coatl males, who have super detailed glassy eyes now, and Skydancer females, whose eyes are even smaller than they used to be!

My Tundras and PCs have coloured sclera that just doesn't look right when they had white sclera for years- since the site began- and they lost so much character. Fire, Wind, and Light eyes are yellower than they used to be, Ice eyes are now blue on all breeds, and Plague and Shadow are both darker without any way to get the old bright red back.

Tons of users, myself included, chose their Flights specifically because they thought the old Common eyes were pretty. I moved from Fire to Light for the eyes, vacationed in Earth, and returned to Light because the pale gold eyes were so gorgeous and matched my breeding pairs. Now? They're terribly bright and lemony. ;__;

I suggest either:

1) Change the default "Common" eyes back to the originals, and add the new Common as a common hatch chance ("Semi-common"?). Perhaps also put it in the Scattersight pool as well? This would restore the old eyes (and lineart!!) for the 40 million dragons who had them while allowing players to still access the new Common eyes.

or

2) Introduce a "Vial of Old Sight" (or legacy/classic/basic) that allows users to manually change their dragons' eyes back to the old versions. I think a cheap (10kT-25kT) Treasure MP item would be the best way to go for this, kinda like the Remove Gene scrolls. That way, people who like the new Common eyes (seem few and far between, frankly) can keep them, and people who like the old eyes can still access them.

People paid money- sometimes real money- on their dragons. People grew attached to the way their dragons looked. People designed breeding projects and their favorite dragons around their old eye colours. As an artist, I totally get wanting to update your old art, but suddenly taking the old eyes that thousands of users enjoyed away in the name of "consistency" without warning or ability to change back just... doesn't feel good. :(

Sure, it's "just a few pixels"-- but I have never once in my 5 years bought a dragon whose eyes I didn't like. Those "few pixels" make or break a dragon for me, and I know I'm not alone.

At the very, very least, I want them to fix the lineart and shading for dragons' eyes, and bring back white sclera for Common-eyed Tundras and PCs. I wouldn't call turning dragons' eyes into blurry smudges of bright colour an "update"-- that's a definite decrease in the overall quality of the art, which used to be nice and crisp. D:

Getting an option to get the old eyes back on my dragons would solve 100% of my upset over the 5th anniversary event.
PB-logo-transparent1.png gem.png Ashes | F
gem.png +4h FR time
gem.png Feel free to ping me!
I support some type of "Legacy Vial" that allows players to manually apply the original eyes to their dragons.
I support some type of "Legacy Vial" that allows players to manually apply the original eyes to their dragons.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
support @ nin's post. Still not a fan of the implementation of this stuff, I want my old eyes back. Do you even see the pupils on my spiral in my icon? No! It's just glass orbs now.
support @ nin's post. Still not a fan of the implementation of this stuff, I want my old eyes back. Do you even see the pupils on my spiral in my icon? No! It's just glass orbs now.
image.png
I would love a way to have the old eyes back and I do support the "legacy eye type" idea that has been floating around the suggestion forums but I have a feeling the admins do not want to implement something like this because the whole point for the change was to fix inconsistencies with the old eye designs.

Its possible that the loss of pupils on some breeds was done purposefully to conform to what they thought looked best. Its also possible that the lack of pupils could just be an artistic mistake that they will fix soon.

I don't support changing the eyes back to what they were because there are a lot of players who do like the new eyes and who would be upset if they changed back suddenly. Personally, I think the only compromise would be the "legacy eye type" idea. It would be fair to those who don't like the new eyes and would be fair to those who do like the new eyes. (As long as the legacy eye type was easily obtainable.)

The only concern I have is that the old eyes' lineart seemed to be slightly different than the new eye lineart. I'm not sure if that would cause problems in creating a "legacy eye type" or not but its something I thought I would bring up.

I would love a way to have the old eyes back and I do support the "legacy eye type" idea that has been floating around the suggestion forums but I have a feeling the admins do not want to implement something like this because the whole point for the change was to fix inconsistencies with the old eye designs.

Its possible that the loss of pupils on some breeds was done purposefully to conform to what they thought looked best. Its also possible that the lack of pupils could just be an artistic mistake that they will fix soon.

I don't support changing the eyes back to what they were because there are a lot of players who do like the new eyes and who would be upset if they changed back suddenly. Personally, I think the only compromise would be the "legacy eye type" idea. It would be fair to those who don't like the new eyes and would be fair to those who do like the new eyes. (As long as the legacy eye type was easily obtainable.)

The only concern I have is that the old eyes' lineart seemed to be slightly different than the new eye lineart. I'm not sure if that would cause problems in creating a "legacy eye type" or not but its something I thought I would bring up.

XriSV9h.gif
@CrazyRedFire

You're right about the lineart. In many cases, that's the problem! But I can't see why that would be a barrier to implementation, when

A) The art already exists, obviously - no new work need be done there, and
B) Most of the 'special' eye types, especially primal, affect the lineart much more than legacy ever could.

I agree that changing Common back to Legacy at this point would just create more problems, but absolutely and always support 'Legacy Vials' or whatever mechanic would work best.

I'm hopeful that the disappearing pupils are an art error, but I doubt it - and again, at this point, changing them back could bother people who prefer the new version (although I haven't heard from anyone who likes female Bogsneaks better now...).
@CrazyRedFire

You're right about the lineart. In many cases, that's the problem! But I can't see why that would be a barrier to implementation, when

A) The art already exists, obviously - no new work need be done there, and
B) Most of the 'special' eye types, especially primal, affect the lineart much more than legacy ever could.

I agree that changing Common back to Legacy at this point would just create more problems, but absolutely and always support 'Legacy Vials' or whatever mechanic would work best.

I'm hopeful that the disappearing pupils are an art error, but I doubt it - and again, at this point, changing them back could bother people who prefer the new version (although I haven't heard from anyone who likes female Bogsneaks better now...).
Y2CN2aK.png wc26tNn.png
If it is an error, then it doesn't really matter if people enjoy it or not, since it'll inevitably have to be fixed if it's a bug. Like... female Tundras' eye sockets aren't coloured like they're supposed to be. Some people might like it, but we were told it was an error that would be fixed 2 years ago.

Mistakes usually end up getting fixed at some point, so if it's an error after all, then I really hope it gets corrected soon. ;__;

... but at the same time, I'm worried that they went "Oh let's erase the lines and shading to make the new eye colours more obvious! :)" or something like that, even though that made the art objectively lower-quality than the original level of detail.

As for the lineart change with implementing legacy eyes: The legacy eyes already exist (probably still on the skin templates as well), and it's not too drastic of a change. I think they mostly just widened the inside of the eye by removing the shading and some of the lineart?
If it is an error, then it doesn't really matter if people enjoy it or not, since it'll inevitably have to be fixed if it's a bug. Like... female Tundras' eye sockets aren't coloured like they're supposed to be. Some people might like it, but we were told it was an error that would be fixed 2 years ago.

Mistakes usually end up getting fixed at some point, so if it's an error after all, then I really hope it gets corrected soon. ;__;

... but at the same time, I'm worried that they went "Oh let's erase the lines and shading to make the new eye colours more obvious! :)" or something like that, even though that made the art objectively lower-quality than the original level of detail.

As for the lineart change with implementing legacy eyes: The legacy eyes already exist (probably still on the skin templates as well), and it's not too drastic of a change. I think they mostly just widened the inside of the eye by removing the shading and some of the lineart?
PB-logo-transparent1.png gem.png Ashes | F
gem.png +4h FR time
gem.png Feel free to ping me!
I don't think we should need an item to get back the old eyes. They shouldn't have been changed without asking in the first place. I shouldn't have to pay to fix I change that wasn't asked for. I support changing the eyes back to the old eyes but do not support implementing an item that would let you change the eyes back to the old ones. People shouldn't profit from this mistake.
I don't think we should need an item to get back the old eyes. They shouldn't have been changed without asking in the first place. I shouldn't have to pay to fix I change that wasn't asked for. I support changing the eyes back to the old eyes but do not support implementing an item that would let you change the eyes back to the old ones. People shouldn't profit from this mistake.
knhLXgs.png
@Katastrophic

I don't really disagree, but if it came down to paying a fee or never seeing my Bogsneak with her real eyes again, I'd pay happily. At this point I don't want to discourage anything the staff would be willing to do on this subject, because I'm really starting to despair of it ever happening :(
@Katastrophic

I don't really disagree, but if it came down to paying a fee or never seeing my Bogsneak with her real eyes again, I'd pay happily. At this point I don't want to discourage anything the staff would be willing to do on this subject, because I'm really starting to despair of it ever happening :(
Y2CN2aK.png wc26tNn.png
Nin's post pretty much says it all, but I must add my support to this. Some of my dragons are now totally off and all my Tundras and Pearlcatchers in particular look kind of dead inside with the colored sclera. It can work with the Pearlcatchers, but is pretty universally a bad thing for Tundras. A few pixels really can make all the difference especially in a game where looks are so important and in the end, a lot of dragons have suffered because of this update which I and many others see is a downgrade in most cases.

At this point, changing all the Common eyes to the original art would cause problems. As I see it, the best solution is to create a Legacy type and make a cheap vial for it that is permanently available in the Treasure Marketplace. You could even give out a few to every account if you want, but such an item must be easily obtainable. It would pretty much be the equivalent of a Basic gene scroll.

I sincerely hope that we can get this old artwork back because of the significant difference this change has made without prior warning and initially being unannounced (everyone makes mistakes, acknowledging and correcting it was certainly a step in the right direction), but that doesn't change the fact that I and many others are against this change. I would love to restore the original eyes to most of my dragons.
Nin's post pretty much says it all, but I must add my support to this. Some of my dragons are now totally off and all my Tundras and Pearlcatchers in particular look kind of dead inside with the colored sclera. It can work with the Pearlcatchers, but is pretty universally a bad thing for Tundras. A few pixels really can make all the difference especially in a game where looks are so important and in the end, a lot of dragons have suffered because of this update which I and many others see is a downgrade in most cases.

At this point, changing all the Common eyes to the original art would cause problems. As I see it, the best solution is to create a Legacy type and make a cheap vial for it that is permanently available in the Treasure Marketplace. You could even give out a few to every account if you want, but such an item must be easily obtainable. It would pretty much be the equivalent of a Basic gene scroll.

I sincerely hope that we can get this old artwork back because of the significant difference this change has made without prior warning and initially being unannounced (everyone makes mistakes, acknowledging and correcting it was certainly a step in the right direction), but that doesn't change the fact that I and many others are against this change. I would love to restore the original eyes to most of my dragons.
Ljw7JvQ.png
dBieivA.png
VL4xbrl.png
WI7lnRZ.png
RYOGC9t.png v886aA7.png etQ32zN.png
1 2 3 4 5 6