Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | On the update
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12
All the support!

Being a veteran player myself (4 and a half years, lost my first account to hacker, unfortunaly) can say that there will be many players upset by this update. We have enough RNG in other games, thank them very much. And saying for myself, FR is totaly not the place where I wanna see more RNG-based items.
All the support!

Being a veteran player myself (4 and a half years, lost my first account to hacker, unfortunaly) can say that there will be many players upset by this update. We have enough RNG in other games, thank them very much. And saying for myself, FR is totaly not the place where I wanna see more RNG-based items.
Support. It seems to make more sense to keep a permanent functionality item to change the eyes, what with the function itself being permanent.
A back to common is absolutely needed, since that's the one not even covered by the scatter itself, and the other color based item has a consistently available scatter, why not this one too.
Support. It seems to make more sense to keep a permanent functionality item to change the eyes, what with the function itself being permanent.
A back to common is absolutely needed, since that's the one not even covered by the scatter itself, and the other color based item has a consistently available scatter, why not this one too.
oie.Pgg1_l68r_QDSN.png oie_q8_X06_TYk_S4g3.png
[quote name="Fletcher" date="2018-06-08 00:31:40" ] For example, scrolls for the various eye types, continued ways to obtain the scattersight vials, or breeding items to induce eye types in hatchlings would be excellent ways to grant customization with these changes. [/quote] yes yes YES Especially as someone who cares a LOT about colors and lore implications, this is so important. I really hope we get this!!
Fletcher wrote on 2018-06-08 00:31:40:
For example, scrolls for the various eye types, continued ways to obtain the scattersight vials, or breeding items to induce eye types in hatchlings would be excellent ways to grant customization with these changes.

yes yes YES

Especially as someone who cares a LOT about colors and lore implications, this is so important. I really hope we get this!!
3 hours ahead of FR time
Yes, THIS, thank you. I was just about to start a thread of my own on this subject - I may still do that, to lay out all my thoughts without taking up massive space here - but I want to throw HUGE SUPPORT behind this.

Because this issue is much, much bigger in its implications than might have been assumed. And I don't want to see a site that I love go down what could be a really, really bad wrong turn while it can still be salvaged.

I have NEVER gone from the high of sheer excitement at omg look at all the new THINGS we can do!, to literally wanting to cry at the prospect of what an update will do to the site, as fast as I just did.

5 minutes. Five minutes of thinking about my breeding projects, and what the site could look like in another couple of years, took me from REALLY, REALLY EXCITED ABOUT FR AGAIN to wondering what the point will be.

I have been here for two and a half years, and - relatively minor gripes about fest items aside - have loved and enjoyed just about every aspect of the site and the new features that have been rolled out.

Some of the newer features, like the Dressing Room, have been SO MUCH YES. The staff has done an amazing job with certain things like that - and I want to recognize that. I know they DO make an effort to listen.

But sometimes they also - inexplicably - make decisions that are just so OBVIOUSLY poorly-judged that I am at a loss to explain it.

This is one of those decisions. The worst I have ever seen, and honestly one of the worst I can ever imagine them making.

Because they just CHANGED THE FUNDAMENTAL RULES OF THE GAME, without warning or discussion with players, in a way that potentially could lead to massive changes in the game as a whole and the user-built economy here. Changes that will most likely affect, and most negatively effect, the most engaged and committed players.

I'll save all the details of my thought for a separate post, but essentially the core issue I see is this:
  1. Flight rising is a breeding game, above all. This is the official view, and is also the most essential element of play. The point of the game is to design and then breed dragons.
  2. The fun of the game comes from the blending of varied customization options with varied levels and types of challenge to achieve your goal dragon.

You cannot simply select options on a menu to instantly order up a dragon, complete with accent, clothing, and familiar, that has precisely the colors and genes and breed you want, and pay whatever it costs. No challenge in that, and thus at most a very brief pleasure in owning the dragon. You have to work for it, to create it and make it your own. You have to solve problems, and be creative. You have to ENGAGE over time.

This is where the pleasure comes from. Working toward a goal, seeing the progress, achieving it and really being able to own it and celebrate it? MUCH more enjoyable than fast-food-style InstaDergs could ever be.

BUT, what is absolutely crucial here is the fact that the degree of challenge and surprise is knowable, finite, and controllable by the player. No matter what kind of dragon a player wants, in the system as it worked up until yesterday, it was definitively achievable. By the choices a player made according to the clear rules of how the system worked, the player could guarantee breeding the dragon they want. Only the number/difficulty of steps of getting to the right breeding pair could be left to the RNG, and that part was also controllable.
  3. That is: if a player learns the rules of the breeding system, and follows them, they were guaranteed to be able to eventually breed any dragon they wished. Only their own interest and resources could limit that.
  4. THAT IS NO LONGER TRUE.

Now, the most dedicated and engaged players - the ones who breed the most dragons - have the greatest chance to have their projects ruined at random, with no effective way to salvage them once the event ends and the Vials skyrocket in price as they get used up. Then it really will be "Play to Win."
  5. So, in essence, the implementation of this change just gave the most dedicated players a huge slap in the face. Changing the most fundamental rules and mechanics of the game out of the blue, without apparent thought for how this would IMPACT players. And then combining that with a TWO-DAY period in which to scramble for the single item type that MIGHT let you fix the mess the RNG just made of your year-long breeding project?

It makes me honestly cry. If the staff doesn't handle this well, and SOON, it could seriously hurt the site in a bad way.

Changing the most basic rules of the game, throwing out the most fundamental PROMISE of the game, in favor of a change that can at random wreck dragons players have spent months or years working towards? With no real fix?

That is how you lose the trust of your players. It takes away something they had before, the thing that motivated them to keep going with the game:

the promise that they could make whatever dragon they wanted to, if they figured out how.

Please, please, Staff, take all the criticism you are getting to heart and really sit down and LISTEN to us. I - and many, many other players here I am sure - WANT THIS SITE TO SUCCEED. We want to see it continue to grow and expand.

But implementing this sort of change like this has the potential to swing this ship around and send it straight at an iceberg.

YOU CAN SALVAGE THIS, THOUGH.

Own the mistake, the oversight here. Own it straight out and soon, before bitterness sets in with players.

Then, AT MINIMUM, introduce a permanent, treasure-MP item to reset eyes to default / "Common" status. This is mandatory if you want to keep the serious breeders and fandragon creators as a whole. There MUST be a way to at least fix dragons back to the way they would be under the old system.

The old system worked so well, IMHO, because it combined a controllable, finite degree of chance with breeding mechanism that both fixed select for traits (breeds and genes - if it's present in your pair, you can get it, otherwise you can't) and variable-specificity select against traits (you can select to avoid colors you don't want, to any degree between avoiding all colors but 1, to including half the color wheel in your pool of possible colors). And you could repeat it whenever you wished.

I would suggest, further, that the random-chance eyes be restricted in two steps:

DURING the event, dragons bred in user nests and hatched during the event have a chance at the random new eye types. So players who want to hatch them with pairs they already have can do so.

AFTER THE EVENT ENDS, random eye mutations STOP affecting user nests. Gen1s hatched from found Unhatched Eggs CAN still get the mutation - so the element of randomness is still there, but otherwise player projects CAN BE KEPT SAFE, and only the original eyes will appear in those nests.

A player with a nest on during the event, who does NOT want the eyes, can simply wait to hatch until the Temporary Magical Disturbance or whatever the lore ends up being is over.

If more random-mutation eyes are wanted, perhaps add a permanent scroll to the MP that infects the nest it is used on. Any pair bred on that PARTICULAR nest has a chance of having their eggs 'infected' with the magic virus or whatever, but eggs on other nests WILL NOT.

Ok, enough for now, I have to sleep. But please, staff: PLEASE AT LEAST LET YOUR USERS SALVAGE THE PROJECTS THEY HAVE SPENT TIME AND MONEY ON.

Please.

(Apologies if this is rambly - must sleep jkdhf)
Yes, THIS, thank you. I was just about to start a thread of my own on this subject - I may still do that, to lay out all my thoughts without taking up massive space here - but I want to throw HUGE SUPPORT behind this.

Because this issue is much, much bigger in its implications than might have been assumed. And I don't want to see a site that I love go down what could be a really, really bad wrong turn while it can still be salvaged.

I have NEVER gone from the high of sheer excitement at omg look at all the new THINGS we can do!, to literally wanting to cry at the prospect of what an update will do to the site, as fast as I just did.

5 minutes. Five minutes of thinking about my breeding projects, and what the site could look like in another couple of years, took me from REALLY, REALLY EXCITED ABOUT FR AGAIN to wondering what the point will be.

I have been here for two and a half years, and - relatively minor gripes about fest items aside - have loved and enjoyed just about every aspect of the site and the new features that have been rolled out.

Some of the newer features, like the Dressing Room, have been SO MUCH YES. The staff has done an amazing job with certain things like that - and I want to recognize that. I know they DO make an effort to listen.

But sometimes they also - inexplicably - make decisions that are just so OBVIOUSLY poorly-judged that I am at a loss to explain it.

This is one of those decisions. The worst I have ever seen, and honestly one of the worst I can ever imagine them making.

Because they just CHANGED THE FUNDAMENTAL RULES OF THE GAME, without warning or discussion with players, in a way that potentially could lead to massive changes in the game as a whole and the user-built economy here. Changes that will most likely affect, and most negatively effect, the most engaged and committed players.

I'll save all the details of my thought for a separate post, but essentially the core issue I see is this:
  1. Flight rising is a breeding game, above all. This is the official view, and is also the most essential element of play. The point of the game is to design and then breed dragons.
  2. The fun of the game comes from the blending of varied customization options with varied levels and types of challenge to achieve your goal dragon.

You cannot simply select options on a menu to instantly order up a dragon, complete with accent, clothing, and familiar, that has precisely the colors and genes and breed you want, and pay whatever it costs. No challenge in that, and thus at most a very brief pleasure in owning the dragon. You have to work for it, to create it and make it your own. You have to solve problems, and be creative. You have to ENGAGE over time.

This is where the pleasure comes from. Working toward a goal, seeing the progress, achieving it and really being able to own it and celebrate it? MUCH more enjoyable than fast-food-style InstaDergs could ever be.

BUT, what is absolutely crucial here is the fact that the degree of challenge and surprise is knowable, finite, and controllable by the player. No matter what kind of dragon a player wants, in the system as it worked up until yesterday, it was definitively achievable. By the choices a player made according to the clear rules of how the system worked, the player could guarantee breeding the dragon they want. Only the number/difficulty of steps of getting to the right breeding pair could be left to the RNG, and that part was also controllable.
  3. That is: if a player learns the rules of the breeding system, and follows them, they were guaranteed to be able to eventually breed any dragon they wished. Only their own interest and resources could limit that.
  4. THAT IS NO LONGER TRUE.

Now, the most dedicated and engaged players - the ones who breed the most dragons - have the greatest chance to have their projects ruined at random, with no effective way to salvage them once the event ends and the Vials skyrocket in price as they get used up. Then it really will be "Play to Win."
  5. So, in essence, the implementation of this change just gave the most dedicated players a huge slap in the face. Changing the most fundamental rules and mechanics of the game out of the blue, without apparent thought for how this would IMPACT players. And then combining that with a TWO-DAY period in which to scramble for the single item type that MIGHT let you fix the mess the RNG just made of your year-long breeding project?

It makes me honestly cry. If the staff doesn't handle this well, and SOON, it could seriously hurt the site in a bad way.

Changing the most basic rules of the game, throwing out the most fundamental PROMISE of the game, in favor of a change that can at random wreck dragons players have spent months or years working towards? With no real fix?

That is how you lose the trust of your players. It takes away something they had before, the thing that motivated them to keep going with the game:

the promise that they could make whatever dragon they wanted to, if they figured out how.

Please, please, Staff, take all the criticism you are getting to heart and really sit down and LISTEN to us. I - and many, many other players here I am sure - WANT THIS SITE TO SUCCEED. We want to see it continue to grow and expand.

But implementing this sort of change like this has the potential to swing this ship around and send it straight at an iceberg.

YOU CAN SALVAGE THIS, THOUGH.

Own the mistake, the oversight here. Own it straight out and soon, before bitterness sets in with players.

Then, AT MINIMUM, introduce a permanent, treasure-MP item to reset eyes to default / "Common" status. This is mandatory if you want to keep the serious breeders and fandragon creators as a whole. There MUST be a way to at least fix dragons back to the way they would be under the old system.

The old system worked so well, IMHO, because it combined a controllable, finite degree of chance with breeding mechanism that both fixed select for traits (breeds and genes - if it's present in your pair, you can get it, otherwise you can't) and variable-specificity select against traits (you can select to avoid colors you don't want, to any degree between avoiding all colors but 1, to including half the color wheel in your pool of possible colors). And you could repeat it whenever you wished.

I would suggest, further, that the random-chance eyes be restricted in two steps:

DURING the event, dragons bred in user nests and hatched during the event have a chance at the random new eye types. So players who want to hatch them with pairs they already have can do so.

AFTER THE EVENT ENDS, random eye mutations STOP affecting user nests. Gen1s hatched from found Unhatched Eggs CAN still get the mutation - so the element of randomness is still there, but otherwise player projects CAN BE KEPT SAFE, and only the original eyes will appear in those nests.

A player with a nest on during the event, who does NOT want the eyes, can simply wait to hatch until the Temporary Magical Disturbance or whatever the lore ends up being is over.

If more random-mutation eyes are wanted, perhaps add a permanent scroll to the MP that infects the nest it is used on. Any pair bred on that PARTICULAR nest has a chance of having their eggs 'infected' with the magic virus or whatever, but eggs on other nests WILL NOT.

Ok, enough for now, I have to sleep. But please, staff: PLEASE AT LEAST LET YOUR USERS SALVAGE THE PROJECTS THEY HAVE SPENT TIME AND MONEY ON.

Please.

(Apologies if this is rambly - must sleep jkdhf)
Give my dragons some love!

SzqWh.gif3wWtw.gifyPPb0.gifDEOuH.gif
No support for scrolls that can change the eyes to any eye type of your choice like the gene scrolls. I feel that the randomness of this is an important aspect to the eye types.

Support for a scroll to revert to common ("default") state, similar to what CountingChocobos suggested where it functions like the Remove Gene scrolls.

I'd also like to see a non-retired version of the scattersight vials. I like the idea of it either remaining as a rare coli drop, a Gem marketplace item of similar value to the scatter scroll OR only available as a recurrent event (similar to now, where it's available for a limited time via Baldwin, coli, ect).

I think an item that could increase the chances of obtaining a certain eye type but not guaranteeing the eye type would also be interesting.

EDIT: I also agree with what most of angsthound said
No support for scrolls that can change the eyes to any eye type of your choice like the gene scrolls. I feel that the randomness of this is an important aspect to the eye types.

Support for a scroll to revert to common ("default") state, similar to what CountingChocobos suggested where it functions like the Remove Gene scrolls.

I'd also like to see a non-retired version of the scattersight vials. I like the idea of it either remaining as a rare coli drop, a Gem marketplace item of similar value to the scatter scroll OR only available as a recurrent event (similar to now, where it's available for a limited time via Baldwin, coli, ect).

I think an item that could increase the chances of obtaining a certain eye type but not guaranteeing the eye type would also be interesting.

EDIT: I also agree with what most of angsthound said
kbqBOtG.png
I support this. Not many people are fond of having unusual eyes if they run breeding projects which may fail just because of wrong eyes.

I am the writer of the most cruel Coliseum challenge in FR, but hey, this is way too much torture for a player's mind.
I support this. Not many people are fond of having unusual eyes if they run breeding projects which may fail just because of wrong eyes.

I am the writer of the most cruel Coliseum challenge in FR, but hey, this is way too much torture for a player's mind.
If you're reading this, you're special!
I am hoarding light eggs.
Happen to have one or more?
Come swap them here!
(offering my hoard)
Words of wisdom:
Do what is easy,
and your life will be hard.
Do what is hard,
and your life will be easy.
My coliseum team:
(always open for hugs ;3)
Elgar | Elysia
Cepheus | Apophis
Gaia | Mikado
absolute support. i'm a gen one collector so the scattersights (which, again, will retire in a couple of days) are really my only way to enjoy the new eyes. i'm...not really about that.

my play style is very common. pls give us some slack, even if it's just making the scattersights permanent.
absolute support. i'm a gen one collector so the scattersights (which, again, will retire in a couple of days) are really my only way to enjoy the new eyes. i'm...not really about that.

my play style is very common. pls give us some slack, even if it's just making the scattersights permanent.
qLQeTFk.gif
xxxxx
ARAxlYW.png
oxDm2Un.png
FObX7rS.png
nWiQNX9.png
mlHpBMC.png
NQ1Ze0S.png
xxxxx 9121892.png
I absolutely support any and all of these ideas, if only because I have one specific eye type I want to avoid.
I absolutely support any and all of these ideas, if only because I have one specific eye type I want to avoid.
1ZHnNyJ.pngâ–ˆbcRnJHQ.gifâ–ˆcskp9sJ.png

The Coliseum Encounter Project â–ˆ|â–ˆDragonomics!
Support! The scattersights shouldn't retire. Make them a gem item or a rare coli drop or a high-level Baldwin brew but getting rid of them completely is a bad idea.
Support! The scattersights shouldn't retire. Make them a gem item or a rare coli drop or a high-level Baldwin brew but getting rid of them completely is a bad idea.
Someday, the whole sky is going to light up, and it's gonna say, "TILT."
And that's gonna be the end of the world.

Artshop * Adopts * Skins
I strongly believe that reverting eyes back to Common should be free. Sometimes you hatch a dragon with body-horror eyes and you just don't have the treasure on hand. I don't want to be nervous every time I hatch a nest.

And heck, sometimes you just want good old-fashioned Common eyes. Since the scatterscroll excludes Common eyes, making the Scatterscroll available year-round would not necessarily solve this problem.
I strongly believe that reverting eyes back to Common should be free. Sometimes you hatch a dragon with body-horror eyes and you just don't have the treasure on hand. I don't want to be nervous every time I hatch a nest.

And heck, sometimes you just want good old-fashioned Common eyes. Since the scatterscroll excludes Common eyes, making the Scatterscroll available year-round would not necessarily solve this problem.
It takes Twelve Years for one Imperial pair to produce a Primal-eyed offspring of a specific sex. Goal-based breeding is dead.
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12